Veeam Backup for AWS - A solid solution for backup of cloud infra
September 20, 2022

Veeam Backup for AWS - A solid solution for backup of cloud infra

Overall Satisfaction with Veeam Backup for AWS

We use Veeam Backup for AWS to securely manage backups of cloud workloads such as AWS S3, RDS, and EC2 instances. We needed a solution that makes creating policies and backing up critical data as simple as possible without much overhead. The Veeam Backup for AWS solution provides just that. The console is pretty straightforward to use and the support team is very helpful in getting started.

Pros

• Backing up S3 buckets
  • Backing up RDS instances
  • Backing up EC2 instances

Cons

• The biggest one for me is security of IAM roles. The default policy that is provided gives way too much access to Veeam across your production environment. It gives the service access to manage your instances, VPC's, even your KMS keys. I'd like to see a major drawback in how permissions are allowed for worker instances.
  • The console could use a refresh as it looks a bit outdated.
  • More detailed documentation for Veeam Backup for AWS. Current documentation leaves a few things to wish.
  • Our ROI is based more on a time versus financial calculation. The Veeam Backup for AWS has saved me and my team approximately 90 hours of work on backing up things like EC2 and RDS. We have been using it for some time, and the ability to create jobs to automatically handle this for us has allowed us to spend time doing other things.
I give Veeam Backup for AWS an 8 in availability because it does a pretty good job, but I have encountered errors in recovery. Luckily these errors have always taken place when testing backups, and not in the use case of a true disaster recovery. Most test recoveries go well and we are up and running within a short window of time.

Do you think Veeam Backup for AWS delivers good value for the price?

Are you happy with Veeam Backup for AWS's feature set?

Did Veeam Backup for AWS live up to sales and marketing promises?

Did implementation of Veeam Backup for AWS go as expected?

Would you buy Veeam Backup for AWS again?

The Veeam Backup for AWS solution is worth it if you are wanting to backup things like EC2 and RDS. It CANNOT backup S3 buckets. Veeam does not have a true native solution for this yet and it makes life difficult. If you need to backup S3 data, script it, trust me. Just use the AWS CLI or PowerShell module which works great.

Veeam Backup for AWS Feature Ratings