VWO - Good A/B Testing Tool
August 28, 2018
VWO - Good A/B Testing Tool
Score 7 out of 10
Overall Satisfaction with Visual Website Optimizer
I am currently using Visual Website Optimizer for clients to test large business questions, test out new products and/or features, and continuously optimize and improve their websites and other marketing channels. The business problems vary from client to client and is very dependent upon the business context and particular industry.
- When QAing experiments, it is extremely quick as goals fire immediately greatly reducing the time it takes to QA.
- Dashboards are easy to understand.
- The enterprise package has comprehensive add ons.
- Redirect experiments are difficult to create and the wildcard rules are often incorrect and can create problems for the user of the platform as well as the visitors.
- The main dashboard for experiments is actually based on cumulative transactions, not conversion rates of the specific variations which is confusing for newer users. Not communicated very well.
- The support and resources center are not very robust and often I find myself with more questions than answers.
- Can help test out new product features and/or plans - Has helped a few clients improve ROI but varies depending on industry and business.
The heat maps and scroll maps are very helpful in examining visitor behaviour, how motivated they are, and pinpointing some of the low hanging fruits on the site, or things that can be easily optimized upfront and then continually optimized using AB testing. Overall, they are a great place to start to explore your customers.
The interactive player in Visual Website Optimizer allows you to observe visitor behaviour by recording the visitors REAL mouse movements as they move across pages, click on different elements, etc., etc. This is one step closer to the visitors actual behaviour. Eye tracking is definitely better, but this is a step in the right direction.
Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to use this feature. To this day, I did not know that it existed. This may be the cause of the fact that there is a lack of support from the VWO support team. The resources online also lack in sustenance, which could be an issue.
VWO is more of an entry level tool, unless you purchase the enterprise solution, which includes a lot of additional features including IP targeting, custom attributes and segmentation (which allows you to filter results by a referrer URL, if a visitor clicked on a specific element, etc.). The basic package does not come with device segmentation which creates problems for organizations later on. However, VWO does help test out new features and products and can give you the starting grounds for experimentation!
Basic A/B testing of websites as well as redirect experiments - If you are testing CTA colour, headlines, etc. and are just starting out your experimentation program, this will be very beneficial and help get you started. Conversely, if you are looking for a more robust solution, are more familiar with experimentation, and need more technical questions answered, it may not necessarily be the best place to start.