Reviews (1-4 of 4)
I decided to trial GIMP after researching alternatives to other image manipulation programs such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP is being used in our organisation to create all of the images needed for the creation of our product labels. This includes the manipulation of our logo, creation of backgrounds, etc. For simple projects, it is very intuitive and comparable to other programs. It has capability to complete very complex image manipulation projects also. I am not a graphic designer, but have found it has a low barrier to entry if you have prior knowledge of other image manipulation programs.
Read Adam Jackson FGCLP MAHRI's full review
GIMP is comparable to other image manipulation applications, and as it's free, it's a great alternative. It may not have the complete list of functionality that other applications have, but it does everything that we require it to do other than exporting in the CMYK colour format. We have worked around this obstacle though.
March 31, 2020
Score 8 out of 10
Gimp is used in our graphic design department as a tool for the development of logos, banners and everything related to visual content. It is a very low cost and highly adaptable editor, it offers excellent options for our designers.
- Customizable interface.
- Powerful tools for image editing.
- It is a light and multiplatform software.
- It can work with many editable formats.
- You have limited options for developing 3D designs.
- Its interface can be somewhat uncomfortable and confusing.
- I don't like its floating panels.
Read Paola Santino's full review
GIMP can be very helpful in companies or advertising and marketing agencies since it is a very powerful design tool with excellent features, however, the implementation of GIMP can be a little slow and difficult since not all users know how to use this tool.
February 18, 2020
Score 9 out of 10
GIMP is used for image manipulation across a number of channels including social media, advertising, postcards, flyers, and other day-to-day materials. The platform addresses the need for brand consistency across both physical and digital uses. GIMP also provides simple tools for layering images when constructing a flyer or complicated brand portfolio.
- GIMP has a large number of tools at your disposal for manipulating any type of image and exporting in any necessary format.
- GIMP does a great job of making everything intuitive so that even a new user can layer images or make an image transparent in little time.
- GIMP can sometimes take awhile to load, especially when downloading new font types.
- Some of the complex features need a workaround method that requires copying or adjusting a layer before being able to make the desired changes. This can make some projects take a fair amount of time.
Read Zach Lung's full review
GIMP has been a great tool for image manipulation, resizing, and layering. It is my go-to when creating logos or adding transparency to parts of an image/logo. It is also extremely helpful for complex flyers or other projects that require many parts to be moved around and changed. However I wish there were more options for organizing large projects such as social media posts for the upcoming month within the platform.
March 13, 2020
Score 10 out of 10
GIMP is being used by our development team. We have a marketing team in our organization but when we need to create and/or modify graphics that we need in our applications, we use GIMP to quickly make the changes. GIMP fits our needs in that we don't have to pay for an expensive Photoshop license for the minimal changes we need to make.
- GIMP has all the tools that Photoshop has which allows us to be as creative as we want.
- GIMP has continual upgrades that fix bugs and add new features.
- GIMP has a great user community.
- It would be nice to have the keyboard shortcuts match Photoshop as that is what designers are used to. The transition from Photoshop to GIMP would be a lot easier.
- When saving images for the web, it would be nice to have a side-by-side view of the full pixel image and the image you're trying to save showing what it will look like as you lessen the resolution.
Read this authenticated review
GIMP is well suited for small startups or freelancers that need tools that are useful and cost-effective. GIMP provides that as it is open source. GIMP is also useful if you only need to make occasional graphic modifications and don't need the cost of more expensive tools. GIMP behaves like an expensive graphic manipulation tool but without the high overhead making it great for one-off projects.
GIMP Scorecard Summary
GIMP Technical Details