GIMP

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of GIMP, and make your voice heard!

1 person want pricing too

What is Canva?

Canva is a popular, simple online graphic design tool. Users can import images, use templates to design banners and logos, or pay to use Canva's premium stock images/paid templates (elements starting at $1).

What is Adobe Illustrator?

Adobe Illustrator CC is a vector-based graphic design software.

What is GIMP?

GIMP is a free, open-source graphics software. GIMP, or General Image Manipulation Program was developed in 1996 and has continued to be updated by volunteers since then. GIMP has an active community of users and developers, making it a constantly evolving graphics software.

GIMP Technical Details

What is GIMP?

What is GIMP's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 9.

Who uses GIMP?

The most common users of GIMP are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Computer Software industry.

As a testing analyst, I am oftentimes tasked to write various types of technical documentation which in most cases involves graphical instructions in a form of images, screenshots, diagrams, charts etc. GIMP is an amazing free graphics editor that suits me very well when I need to edit these images before embedding them in the documentation I write. It has a very powerful set of tools that can easily compete with super expensive professional graphics editors, and at the same time, it's fairly easy to learn to use.
  • Resizing and cropping images
  • Working with layers (text, images etc.)
  • Exporting images in various formats
  • The UI could be revamped to reflect more modern UI trends (for example, material design look)
  • The Export menu could be made more intuitive and allow to easily choose file extension, quality etc.
  • Would be great if GIMP natively supported digital negative files (RAW)
GIMP is a great all-around FREE! graphics editor, it has a toolset that easily compares to those of expensive professional editors. It is suitable for use in most scenarios when a graphics editor is needed. GIMP does not natively support RAW file editing and would require external applications/plug-ins to support this functionality.
Christer Geberg | TrustRadius Reviewer
GIMP is a Graphics Software, I have been using for a long period of time now for different purposes like creating Social Media posts and even picture editing which has now become a crucial part of the Graphics Department. We now can edit all high-quality images and we can also attract our customers with high-quality images which just amps up the whole user experience.
  • GIMP has a very intuitive interface so now as a user you can always layer all the images or make a different image from scratch.
  • One thing that I really like about GIMP is that it has a relatively smaller learning curve which can agitate many things that we don’t want so it’s better to keep this topic on the side for a while.
  • This product has so many large tools at the disposal stage which are used for manipulating different types of images and simultaneously exporting any type of unnecessary stuff.
  • I find the downloading time within the software to be slow and tiring especially when there is a large file.
  • Sometimes what happens is that due to some problems a workaround method is implemented so copying or adjusting to a layer before can take a good amount of time. This should be improved.
  • Cropping is a bit difficult in this platform especially due to which the software becomes difficult to use.
GIMP has many things and many features that require improvement and are not up to the mark but GIMP is one of those few special pieces that does almost everything we are needed to do. Moreover, since the GIMP is comparable in nature to manipulative applications as well, that is why I would recommend everyone to use this platform.
My business uses GIMP to create social media posts, edit photos and much more, it is used by our design department. Since GIMP is completely free and open-source, this eliminates the cost of having to purchase photo editing software.
We are able to edit high quality images and create high quality social media posts that attract customers.
As it is one of the most important aspect of any business to convince a customer, to get them attached visually. GIMP allows us to do that completely free of charge.
  • GIMP provides all essential editing features and tools.
  • Has a pretty small learning curve, it's easy for beginners to get the hang of.
  • Completely free of charge and open-source.
  • You can use GIMP to create GIFs using many layers.
  • Allows you to edit images of various formats.
  • GIMP's selection tool isn't very precise.
  • Has lower features than other paid software.
  • Lack of customer support, since it's an open-source software.
  • Limitations on the number of layers that can be used.
  • Cropping is also a bit difficult to use.
  • Download time is slow, since its a large file.
GIMP is great for anyone ranging from personal use to a small business. But, if you are a large business and have a sufficient budget, I would recommend you to opt for an expensive paid software like Photoshop, that would provide not only great features but also public recognition.
Its great for beginners wanting to start editing photos, there is a small learning curve that could be gotten used to in no time.
Jonathan Thommarson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use GIMP to edit images and designs that come from our corporate office to make them customized to our local experience. GIMP is full of features and makes it easy to manipulate images. There are a lot of features within GIMP that make image creation and editing so simple. There are some tools that I do not use because of the high level of detail they require, but I am sure that they can be useful for some people.
  • Low cost
  • A lot of tools
  • Easy image manipulation
  • Some features are difficult for beginners
  • More user-friendly UI
  • Built-in tutorials
GIMP is a great program to jump into image manipulation and creation. I use it mostly with stock images to add locally customized content, and it is simple to use. I had little to no previous experience in image editing but I was able to navigate the software easily and figure out how to use the different tools properly. I have not done a lot of raw image creation in GIMP, but I think there are plenty of tools within GIMP to help people create what they want to create.
Zach Lung | TrustRadius Reviewer
GIMP is used for image manipulation across a number of channels including social media, advertising, postcards, flyers, and other day-to-day materials. The platform addresses the need for brand consistency across both physical and digital uses. GIMP also provides simple tools for layering images when constructing a flyer or complicated brand portfolio.
  • GIMP has a large number of tools at your disposal for manipulating any type of image and exporting in any necessary format.
  • GIMP does a great job of making everything intuitive so that even a new user can layer images or make an image transparent in little time.
  • GIMP can sometimes take awhile to load, especially when downloading new font types.
  • Some of the complex features need a workaround method that requires copying or adjusting a layer before being able to make the desired changes. This can make some projects take a fair amount of time.
GIMP has been a great tool for image manipulation, resizing, and layering. It is my go-to when creating logos or adding transparency to parts of an image/logo. It is also extremely helpful for complex flyers or other projects that require many parts to be moved around and changed. However I wish there were more options for organizing large projects such as social media posts for the upcoming month within the platform.
The support has always been able to solve my problems, which have been relatively simple and minor in my case, but can take some time due to the fact it is a free platform.
Stiavetti Daniele | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use GIMP for architectural projects. I really like this product and use it every day at work. I never had problems. I have been using it for years, since I discovered it, and I continue to use it even now that it is paid. I recommend it to everybody.
  • Architectural projects
  • Compatibility with other softwares
  • Friendly interface
  • It is perfect for my use.
I use it in architectural design--both for the design phase and for the compilation of all official documents that I have to send to the public administration to obtain building permits. Its very simple interface allows me to work quickly without wasting time.
Its compatibility with other softwares allows me to interface with other users who use other programs.
I never needed support.
Adam Jackson FGCLP MAHRI | TrustRadius Reviewer
I decided to trial GIMP after researching alternatives to other image manipulation programs such as Adobe Photoshop. GIMP is being used in our organisation to create all of the images needed for the creation of our product labels. This includes the manipulation of our logo, creation of backgrounds, etc. For simple projects, it is very intuitive and comparable to other programs. It has capability to complete very complex image manipulation projects also. I am not a graphic designer, but have found it has a low barrier to entry if you have prior knowledge of other image manipulation programs.
  • Vast range of options.
  • Intuitive user interface.
  • Good use of layering.
  • No option to export in CMYK format.
  • Some features are less intuitive than others.
GIMP is comparable to other image manipulation applications, and as it's free, it's a great alternative. It may not have the complete list of functionality that other applications have, but it does everything that we require it to do other than exporting in the CMYK colour format. We have worked around this obstacle though.
We have never needed to use the support functions for GIMP. Any queries we have or had about whether GIMP could complete a task we have used Google and YouTube. There is a wealth of information, guides, and forums dedicated to GIMP and how to perform certain tasks with the application.
Paola Santino | TrustRadius Reviewer
Gimp is used in our graphic design department as a tool for the development of logos, banners and everything related to visual content. It is a very low cost and highly adaptable editor, it offers excellent options for our designers.
  • Customizable interface.
  • Powerful tools for image editing.
  • It is a light and multiplatform software.
  • It can work with many editable formats.
  • You have limited options for developing 3D designs.
  • Its interface can be somewhat uncomfortable and confusing.
  • I don't like its floating panels.
GIMP can be very helpful in companies or advertising and marketing agencies since it is a very powerful design tool with excellent features, however, the implementation of GIMP can be a little slow and difficult since not all users know how to use this tool.
It was a bit difficult and tedious to be able to communicate with the support of this software since they do not have one as such, however, with the help of its developers I was able to clarify my doubts.
GIMP is being used by our development team. We have a marketing team in our organization but when we need to create and/or modify graphics that we need in our applications, we use GIMP to quickly make the changes. GIMP fits our needs in that we don't have to pay for an expensive Photoshop license for the minimal changes we need to make.
  • GIMP has all the tools that Photoshop has which allows us to be as creative as we want.
  • GIMP has continual upgrades that fix bugs and add new features.
  • GIMP has a great user community.
  • It would be nice to have the keyboard shortcuts match Photoshop as that is what designers are used to. The transition from Photoshop to GIMP would be a lot easier.
  • When saving images for the web, it would be nice to have a side-by-side view of the full pixel image and the image you're trying to save showing what it will look like as you lessen the resolution.
GIMP is well suited for small startups or freelancers that need tools that are useful and cost-effective. GIMP provides that as it is open source. GIMP is also useful if you only need to make occasional graphic modifications and don't need the cost of more expensive tools. GIMP behaves like an expensive graphic manipulation tool but without the high overhead making it great for one-off projects.
I give it a full 10/10 rating because of the online documentation I've used and the community support forums. There have been times where I don't know how to do something. I Google it and multiple answers appear. I appreciate how the community helps each other out, as well as clear tutorials on the GIMP web site.