Acronis Backup Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Doug Ellis profile photo
I have been using Acronis Backup for over 10 years and it has proven to be the most reliable product I have used for data and server backups. I use it internally and with all my customers. It gives me peace of mind in knowing I can recover data quickly and fully.
  • Imaging
  • Fast recovery of full machines
  • Creation of virtual hard drives
  • Recovery of files and folders
  • I have seen consistent improvements in every version.
  1. Acronis works well in protecting critical systems. These can be servers, business PCs or laptops. Basically, any critical system.
  2. Create images for deployment to new PCs or laptops.
  3. Move a system to new hardware.
  4. Create virtual hard drives for use in a HyperV or VMware host environment.
  5. Imaging of systems experiencing hard drive issues for recovery to a new hard drive.
Read Doug Ellis's full review
We use Acronis Backup for our servers as well as PC's to make backups for safety and archival. It is simple to use and has been reliable for us.
  • Easy to install.
  • Easy to manage.
  • Easy to create a backup or clone disk.
  • It is expensive for small company use, but considering the importance of data, even a high price tag is not a disadvantage.
  • It can be somewhat slow at times.
  • The web interface sometimes kicks you out.
I would not hesitate to recommend this product, it is one of the best options for backing up and recovering data. It offers an information control panel, various specialized tools for the protection of your files, with one of the benefits of being able to access them at any moment wherever it is.
We mainly use it before reinstalling a computer, or before major computer updates. Like we did with Acronis True Image before, we will do a full backup of the computer and keep it for a certain period of time. Most of the time, a user will receive a new computer, and within a few days, they will remember files and settings that they forgot to transfer, or after an employee leaves, sometimes we need to go back to his work files.
  • The UI is very intuitive.
  • You have multiple backup options.
  • It supports multiple backup destinations.
  • It can become expansive.
  • Could be integrated with more third storage provider.
  • Can become hard to manage with a lot of computers.
If you want daily backups of all your computers, from inside or outside the network, that software is great for you. You can manage remotely and set up reporting. You can do file backups to bare metal restore backups. You can also use it to backup servers, and virtual machines, and it supports multiple operating systems.
Acronis Backup is used for making the backups of our system's database. It is used by the infrastructure department and right now we haven't had to use it fortunately because we have already redundance between sites. We also have our BCP and DRP emergency plans but we feel more comfortable having the Acronis software with us.
  • Backups from the entire computer or server.
  • It can recover a server with the entire system and software.
  • Faster recovery.
  • It could be more user-friendly.
  • Sometimes the time it takes to make a backup is slow in comparison with other systems.
It can make a full restore from an entire server in less than an hour, and the backup can be made in one external drive or in multiple DVD. However, the interface is not very friendly to navigate between menus.
Acronis Backup and Recovery is being used for a small business client as it presents a reliable and easy way for them to manage backup and recovery of their data.
  • Ease of use.
  • Set-it-and-forget it solution.
  • Economical.
  • There can be a little bit of a learning curve compared to other backup products, but not overwhelming.
  • It is somewhat limited in its feature set compared to enterprise-level solutions.
For small business scenarios, it works great. It has full image recovery, full/incremental backup and many other options at an extremely competitive price point. The product is frequently updated with valuable features.
January 07, 2019

Acronis Backup Review

We use Acronis to back up our servers. It allows us to back up a variety of items including data files, SQL and Exchange. The backups can be scheduled for rotations and you can back up to multiple different types of sources.
  • Backs up different data types.
  • Backs up to multiple sources including tapes, external drives other servers.
  • Easy to use interface.
  • Support staff does not always have answers and sometimes has to escalate issues.
  • A better way to integrate yearly subscriptions into the contract.
  • Better notifications of backup alerts.
Acronis is well suited for a company that has at least one server to back up. The program will work with a wide variety of operating systems including Server 2012, 2016 and 2019. This program will also allow you to backup multiple servers from one host device. It will also works with Linux OS.
A lot of my work data is now in the cloud so while a backup isn't as critical as it used to be, I still work with local files quite a bit. So losing data due to a Hardware failure is still a concern. Due to data security issues at work, I can just plug in a USB drive to make backups of my local files. That is where Acronis Backup came into the picture. Being able to automate my backups to the cloud (or network) was a must-have feature for me and Acronis did that job admirably.
  • It's really easy to automate a backup. You can choose where you want the back up to be stored (locally or online) and how frequent you want your backups to be. And then just let it run on schedule.
  • It's very customizable. You can choose what you want to back up, where you want to back it up to and how frequently your backups should run.
  • Recovery is (I have only had to do it once) really fast and smooth. I was able to get back to a working state without calling in for support and all my stuff was right where I expected it to be.
  • It is very reliable. Backups very rarely fail and are easy to fix when they do.
  • Backup failure error messages should be more helpful. Sometimes they are hard to decipher and you have to call in for support.
It's excellent if you work with critical data that you cannot afford to lose. You would need above average knowledge of PC's to install, set it up and have it running though - or you need your IT team to do it for you. If you are a user without above average IT knowledge or an IT team to back you up, I would recommend looking for an alternative.

I also wouldn't recommend it for personal use i.e if you need a back up for your photos, movies etc. Simply because there are cheaper options that will do that job well.
Kevin Cooper profile photo
Acronis Backup is being used by the entire division. We use both the onsite storage and cloud storage of backups. This solves our requirement for offsite backup storage. We also backup every workstation, since the software developers have very specific configurations which would take a lot of downtime to get configured the way they prefer.
  • Image based backups. After the initial backup, the backups happen quite quickly. This allows for multiple backups per day.
  • We have different classes of data which requires different retention policies. Acronis makes that easy to manage.
  • Restoration can be done directly to hardware or to a VM. This makes it easy to migrate a physical server to a VM.
  • The cloud based backup and the local backup don't talk to each other. I can never get one answer on how much total cloud storage is being used by both the cloud managed endpoints and the locally managed endpoints.
  • Licensing could be easier to manage. Adding new licenses seems a bit manual.
  • Deploying agents doesn't always work from the console. I have to occasionally do a manual installation.
I actually think that it works great for most scenarios.
Read Kevin Cooper's full review
Ethan Nick profile photo
August 22, 2018

Simple Acronis Review

Acronis is being used by our location as our main means of backing up our data on a daily and bi-weekly basis. We had originally switched for ease of use reasons, after positive peer review, and due to previous usage of and familiarity with Acronis. We are able to ensure timely backups of our data across multiple machines that are easy to access, manage, and store.
  • Obtaining Data Recovery. The process of recovering any information from a backup is straight forward. There has yet to be any issues with any recovery we've attempted.
  • Setting schedules for incremental and full backup dates/times. We need to run our backups at very specific times and the ability to assign different schedules for backing up various locations is very helpful.
  • User-Friendly. All information is readily accessible in a way the flows nicely. Placement of different option makes sense as you go through the processes of install, setup and everyday usage/maintenance.
  • There are times when accessing the backup files takes an extended amount of time, as they do not always become usable quickly. It is a small complaint, as they never fail to open after a few minutes.
  • Being able to create backups on removable USB hard drives that are taken away for offsite storage when full could be better. You can make it happen but the process doesn't feel as smooth as the rest of the software.
  • It would be nice to be able to compare the contents of multiple backups at one time in order to be able to more quickly see the difference between them when searching for information changes requested by users.
I don't see why this software would be 'less suited' for usage when compared to other software for the purpose of backing up your data. It does what it is meant to do in a way that is easy to understand. The user interface is intuitive overall, setup feels standard without anything that feels out of the ordinary, and we have not had any problems with restoring information as needed.
Read Ethan Nick's full review
Mitch Hubbell profile photo
Currently, we are using Acronis to backup our VMware hosts as well as the VMs living on the hosts. When I first came on board with our company there was no cloud backup happening.
  • Automated backups to both cloud and local sources.
  • The recovery process is incredibly well implemented.
  • The have some very good support.
  • I wish there was a better way to backup the contents of a NAS, currently I have to do a "Machine" backup and then point to the NAS folder/s from there.
It's a well-rounded software package for backing up virtual machines, I've not used it for physical machines yet but I'd bet it works just as well. I would however like improvements to be made in the backup process of NAS folders.
Read Mitch Hubbell's full review
Derek Schroeder profile photo
Acronis Backup is used as the primary solution for data backup and recovery. It is a software-only solution so media to write to is up to the customer to bring to the table. Acronis works by creating images of servers that can be mounted or restored and works as a bare-metal recovery option for most servers if the need arises.
  • An image-based backup solution for small to medium businesses
  • Easy to mount and restore small or large amounts of data
  • Scalable as backup needs change over time
  • Partial backup solution, still requires bring-your-own-media
  • Full image backups take longer than incremental-based solutions
Small to medium businesses will greatly appreciate the price-point and ease of use as a backup solution. May not be the best solution for long-term retention, but that is based on the company and their media.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
Rishan Ahmed profile photo
October 01, 2018

Acronis Backup

As a Service Provider, we have completed over 500+ implementation which is more than 5000+ Workstations, 1000+ Servers and many more. As a suite, Acronis offers business continuity, sort of Data Archiving, and a complete backup. It eliminates the use of multiple products to create a secured data loss pattern.
  • One suite or one console for heterogeneous environments. Administrator can get alerts, notifications and complete control of backup and data management.
  • As an implementer, backup installation and configuration is very easy.
  • Backup schedule management is super easy. User can create backup policies as per company instructions or user patterns.
  • Real time backup has more demand now. If Acronis can implement snapshots with a real time feature, it will be a game changer.
  • Acronis support needs a lot of improvement.
  • Response from the sales team is not that good. Acronis should revise the pricing as well.
Acronis is well fitted in SMBs/Medium Enterprises who have a heterogeneous environment. When it comes to high end systems like Mainframes, Oracle Backup etc. Acronis cannot perform. It also doesn't have a good support agent.
Read Rishan Ahmed's full review
Richard N. Silverstein, M.D. profile photo
It is used every day for local and cloud backups. It provides our company with bulletproof data security.
  • Reliable on site back up
  • Reliable cloud back up
  • After having to use this product for many years I cannot think of any necessary improvements. It performs flawlessly and has rescued my data numerous times over the years with speed and precision.
In my medical practice I handle a large volume of data and I have found this product to perform flawlessly. The support is the best that I have experienced anywhere.
Read Richard N. Silverstein, M.D.'s full review
Steve Redman profile photo
It is used to backup all City servers in every department. It addresses the need to recover without installing Windows first. Very easy to recover data and much quicker than the competition.
  • Rapid backup and restore
  • No need to load OS prior to restore
  • Ransomware protection
  • Backups to multiple locations at the same time
Due to its comprehensive backup method, I would never consider other options. No other product comes close to the speed and ease of protection.
Read Steve Redman's full review
We use Acronis to backup a handful of our clients' servers. We use this to backup data in the event that we need to restore their information. We can back up their information using a schedule and we can manage how long we keep that particular backup. Acronis gives us the option to back up selective files or the entire machine.
  • User-friendly interface makes it easy to manage.
  • Easy to restore files/systems.
  • Acronis supports mobile devices such as Android and Apple.
  • Not a lot of information about the reports unless you want them emailed.
  • Adding more to their knowledge base would be helpful.
  • The cost can be expensive if you have a lot of customers.
If you don't have to manage your client's email and their email archiver Acronis works very well. If you're looking for just a backup service for what's on a particular computer then Acronis is perfect. It is easy to use, so newcomers are not overwhelmed with features.It does not include as robust features as Barracuda and Cloudberry, but it does work well as just a backup.
We use Acronis Backup to backup all of our physical workstations and servers daily for the entire organization. It is a perfect backup solution. You can schedule backups to any day of the week and any week of the month with a specific time. You get notifications via email for completed and failed backups.
  • Image backup and restore are very quick
  • Recover files and folders directly from File Explorer
  • Easy and Quick Installation
  • The web interface is slow and can kick you off from time to time
  • I do find that the error messages are hard to decipher if/when a backup is unsuccessful. However, support is very good in helping out the solution
  • The user interface is not intuitive enough to find failures in backups or track logs with alerts or errors
We have used this to recover a folder that was accidentally deleted by a user. Brilliant and works fast too.
Acronis Backup is used throughout our organization, but it is primarily utilized in the Information Technology sections. It addresses the business problems of keeping our data reliably and transparently backed up. Some solutions are more complicated and difficult to implement, while others do not have the rich functionality that Acronis gives to our team.
  • Multiple platform support
  • Ease of management
  • Helps with ransomware protection
  • Great backup speeds
  • RTO lags a little bit behind the speeds that are claimed in the literature
  • Remote management could be better
  • Cloud storage should be included
  • Lack of popular 3rd-party cloud backup targets
It is well-suited for enterprise use, even when multiple platforms are being utilized. You need to have a reliable network and a competent IT staff (which most are). It is less appropriate for very small companies or companies that have disparate locations across the globe. Acronis Backup Standard might be more suited for smaller companies.
September 26, 2018

Acronis is a dream!

We use Acronis Backup to easily manage all of our local backups. It is very much easy to use and configure. Anytime we have needed to recover from backup, it has been a piece of cake. As you know, this is crucial when something needs to be restored. I have complete faith in Acronis and appreciate it coming through in the clutch when needed.
  • This software is really easy to implement. You are up and running within a day.
  • Restores are extremely easy to implement.
  • When you do need to contact support they are really helpful.
  • It can be a little expensive.
  • You have to install an agent on your servers.
  • I did not have great luck with it backing up Linux servers.
If you are on a Windows environment and you want to implement a super easy backup solution, Acronis will do the trick. There are other pricier backup solutions out there, but if your environment is small and you only need to backup locally, it works like a dream. I was always pleased whenever I had to restore a backup.
Acronis Backup advanced is used in my organization to handle all user workstation backups. It is used across the organization as a backup solution. It addresses all of our workstation backups in order to secure recovery in the event of a workstation failure.
  • Acronis backup allows you to set up several backups at once to different locations for redundancy.
  • It allows you to easily search the local network to find backup locations.
  • It allows you to set up several different time frames for backups ie: weekly, monthly, daily etc
  • You can find local resources but you cannot search the network globally. You have to input an IP/DNS name to search. Whereas in the previous version 11.7, you could search and find locations without having to use these references.
  • The interface is somewhat slow to load
  • The licensing is very difficult to navigate if you are using Acronis in different locations because you have to have a controller on different subnets and you can't sync the licensing across the network
  • Also, keeping track of what the computer is using what license if you have not added to the management controller is difficult.
  • My biggest issue with Acronis Backup Advanced 12.5 is if the hard drive on your machine starts to fail you cannot run the software to back up the machine. I spent a lot of time with support with just this issue and they could do nothing until I replaced the hard drive but at that point, I could not run a backup so I had to use the oldest backup I had.
Acronis is great if you have a workstation failure and need a quick recovery. As long as you are recovering to a like machine the recovery is fairly easy.
We currently use Acronis Backup to backup all of our physical hosts, virtual machines, and 30+ workstations for our key users. All of our critical VM's are backed up every 15mins incrementally 24/7 into our local NAS unit.
  • Automatic backup deletion based on the age of backup
  • Ability to restore a VM to a host in minutes
  • Ability to check back up integrity after a backup completes.
  • When active protection detects a file that it deems malicious but it isn't, there should be an easier way to whitelist it for your entire company.
  • Support, if ever needed, takes a very long time to respond. We pay for the maintenance and expect speedy service so sometimes it is frustrating.
Acronis backup works really well with being able to back up a physical host and the VM's that reside in it with one license. A lot of other vendors were on a per client bases.
Paul Uslan profile photo
December 08, 2017

Backup for Drs

I use Acronis Backup to backup my entire computer with all my patients' information and records.
  • It does incremental backups so I do not need to worry about not having enough space on my backup drive
  • It schedules when the office is closed so does not tie up the computer during the day.
  • Advises if backup was successful and if not, where the error lies.
  • I had a hard drive error previously on my computer and the backup corrects and does not bring forward any corrupted files.
  • Easier set up for people not very computer savy, and unable to express backup path correctly in computer terms. Program finds all it needs for set up.
Perfect for internal backup without having to use cloud base solutions. I don't like have patient data sitting out there.
Read Paul Uslan's full review
Robert A. Cambridge, M.D., M.B.A. profile photo
Clinic server backup to RDX media. Addresses the need for complete restoration of patient medical charts in a very short period of time in the case of a system crash.
  • Backs up entire server.
  • Easy to install, easy to configure.
  • Flexible with types of media it uses to backup.
  • Does not recognize/individually backup MySQL Server software. Therefore, with my server if the database goes bad the entire server has to be restored. Apparently, Acronis only recognizes name-brand products.
  • Interface seems to be web-based. If the internet is down, the server cannot be restored.
If MySQL Server database crashes, the whole server has to be restored rather the just the database. It would seem that if the internet is down, the server cannot be restored due to a web-based interface.
Read Robert A. Cambridge, M.D., M.B.A.'s full review
Boon Hian Lim profile photo
December 06, 2017

Acronis Backup Advance

Acronis Backup is being used in our department to back up the main servers in our infrastructure to onsite and offsite backup as part of our DR solution. The solution was chosen due to its entire image backup solution which makes it easy to recover from file level to entire server restoration.
  • Simple Backup Plan setup
  • Easy restoration
  • High Compression level
  • Dashboard that clearly provides necessary information
  • Provide extract of data from the cloud instead of transmitting through internet during data recovery (DR)
Acronis backup has perfect restoration across hardware where the success rate is so high. We had successfully migrated our database server using acronis backup advance with their universal restore function which allowed us to bypass the reconfiguration process. Upon a complete restore, the database server is up and running without further configuration.
Read Boon Hian Lim's full review
Andre' Forbes profile photo
I am using Acronis in our IT department. I utilize Acronis to backup my server and main company files. In addition, I am backing up to the cloud for redundancy. The business problem that Acronis addresses is disaster recovery. If there is a hard drive crash on the server, Active Directory is backed up and also the server operating system. If there is a fire there is an additional backup to the cloud.
  • Acronis emails the administrator update every day on critical errors, warnings, and failures.
  • The backup is smooth and quick.
  • Very little processing resources are used from the operating system.
  • The 24 hour support is great!
  • All the technicians are very knowledgeable about the use of the Acronis product.
  • I would like to see Acronis provide virtual server operations in the product. In other words, every aspect of the Acronis product is cloud-based.
  • Supply the customer with full virtual backup, bring all functions to the cloud. No onsite hardware.
Acronis is well suited when an organization is trying to be cost-effective and more automatic. If your company is a more manual operating company Acronis is probably less appropriate for your business.
Read Andre' Forbes's full review
Dean Eumenidi profile photo
November 30, 2017

Server Essentials Review

I use Acronis to backup my entire server for the entire business. I do this a few times a week. I also use Acronis to backup workstations so if something happens, I can restore a new hard drive in a matter of minutes instead of taking a whole day of reloading a new hard drive from scratch.
  • Mirror image of storage device/hard drive to an external source
  • Ease of loading the backup to restore a hard drive from the external source
  • A "must Have" for any business that uses computer technology for business
  • A little explanation or help topics on setting up server backups
Well suited for backup of servers or personal computers with multiple hard drives. I only use this program for what it is intended to do....backup information you do not want to lose, so to answer a less appropriate scenario, I can not answer.
Read Dean Eumenidi's full review

About Acronis Backup

Acronis Backup aims to be most reliable and easy-to-use backup for businesses of all sizes, whether it is located on-premises, in remote systems, in private and public clouds, or on mobile devices.

Acronis promises to help IT keep the business running. Businesses can be at risk of losing important data. Lost data leads to costly downtime, customer dissatisfaction, regulatory fines, and lost revenue. As a result, the IT pros must meet extremely high expectations. You need to keep the company running 24-hours a day.

According to the vendor, key benefits of Acronis Backup include:
  • Full Availability, No Downtime
  • Complete Protection, Now and Forever
  • Fast Backup, Non-Stop Business
  • Proactively eliminate attacks
  • Restore VMs in seconds
  • Reduce outages with the best RTO
  • 21 platforms protected
  • Easy scalability with data growth
  • Mobile data protection
  • Instant protection with 3 clicks
  • Multi-tier deduplication
  • Off-host backup operations
  • Spend Less, Best ROI and TCO
  • Minimal upfront costs with simple licensing options
  • Simplified, automated administration