- They give you the source code to use on your own server.
- It is easy to sort clients and campaigns.
- The email notifications work perfectly when tagging and talking to people. They allow you to subscribe to tasks as well to keep in the loop on what is going on.
- They don' do Gantt charts well
- Integrations aren't awesome yet
- They don't have task dependencies
For two teams Active Collab is being used in my organization as project management tool after our customer decided to move to agile scrum framework from waterfall. Earlier these teams were using HP ALM.
Since project moved from fixed capacity to T&M, Active Collab was very helpful since its billing & invoice features allows you generate the invoices easily.
Here cost can be easily assigned to each team member, Team members can start the timer after they start their work, then allows you to export the time records of team members making it easy to complete the billing.
It tells us precisely how much budget you've spent, who is working on what with how much capacity available and how deadlines and responsibilities overlap across multiple projects.
Thus AC served as excellent tool providing a great snapshot of team work at any given point to customer.
- Its billing & invoice feature worked pretty well for T&M teams. ActiveCollab version 5, the current version, allows you to directly track time to tasks using the Timer app and later create invoices based on those time entries. Their statuses will change through phases, as you are pending payment, or after they are set as paid.
- Here cost can be easily assigned to each team member, Team members can start the timer after they start their work, then allows you to export the time records of team members making it easy to complete the billing.
- File sharing feature is very useful for distributed teams as we can we can easily share files, screenshots.
- Also ActiveCollab ability to connect to Google docs, attach images and link to web pages make it unique from other project management tools.
- AC easily allows you to track your daily tasks & serves reminder if miss on the targets defined by giving daily / weekly reminders regarding tasks and any that have gone over due dates.
- ActiveCollab is quite easy to use. With just a few clicks, you can create a new project.
- The dashboard and options are easy to see and it is well laid out.
- Here user have an opportunity to select the number of emails they receive from ActiveCollab and for some email providers, such as Gmail grouping is enabled. So rather than getting multiple mails, it send you a summary of all the daily notifications in one mail.
- It allows users to upload several files at once on task comments, and if you are set with the owner role, or have the member role but are a project leader, you have a Batch Edit option available on project level. This allows you to edit multiple tasks at once and change all the details on them, such as assignee, due dates, labels, importance, and more.
- It does not provide support to scaled agile frameworks like SAfe which is there for Rally & AgileCraft.
1) ActiveCollab works well for small teams specifically T&M teams.Its invoicing feature is unique & can make your life easy.
2) It is very easy to use & posses good range of filters like on the task list, we can drag/drop tasks, Filter by assignee's,
tasks lists, due dates, or completed tasks.
3) It has some simple but awesome features like when you're in
the middle of writing something i.e a comment on story and get interrupted,
it retains what you wrote.
4) It allows you to tag team members in threads of comments to grab their attention, its really needed when teams are distributed. Thus helping team members to collaborate easily & stay on same page.
5) It integrates pretty well with other web apps like quickbooks , Slack, Trello, HubSpot, Zapier etc
Scenarios where ActiveCollab did not work well
1) Tasks can not have multiple assignee's here so if two members are working on same task it did not allow you to reflect that.
2) Sorting capability is not their under invoicing
3) It did not work well for larger teams
4) Search option is not very detailed & you may end up wasting lot of time searching one particular bug or issue.
- Very nice interface for all user roles in the system.
- Effective notification of pending tasks and optimal management of the equipment.
- Organized work flow, productive tasks and correct execution.
- Creation of filters to better locate artifacts for daily use.
- It is confusing when a review is made, before buying the product.
- It lacks animation and pleasant forms for the user.
- Does not allow effective communication when activities are reported. Since it does not provide a direct message chat.
- The reports that are generated are basic, they do not have personalization characteristics.
When they lack animation and explosiveness at the user level, it expires due to the rich user experiences offered by today's website.
ActiveCollab is a safe investment when talking about dynamics and production in projects, also in the management of the fair of the working group.
- Daily notifications to the mail about upcoming tasks and expired, if any.
- Preparation of financial reports and tasks for specific projects. You can form for individual tasks, employees and other criteria.
- The availability of the gantt chart greatly simplifies the process of building the project, as it is an effective tool that helps to see the order of tasks to be performed.
- I would like to supplement the mobile application with the functionality that the service has in the desktop version, for more efficient work.
- Sorting projects and tasks is not always convenient, I would like to customize it for myself.
ActiveCollab Review: "Easy, Straightforward Web-Based Project Management Tool for Small to Mid-size Agencies"
- Great for project and task assignments, project workflow and communications.
- Solid web-based platform that doesn't require software downloads, also includes great mobile platform.
- Great reporting tools for managing billing, estimating, project workflow and other essential project details.
- Allows for both the agency and its clients to interact on a single platform using role-specific permissions.
- As a web-based platform, sometimes things go down on their end and we lose access to our project management tool to the ire of all.
- Project searching can be hit or miss, and filtered search often leaves out projects that should have shown.
- Email alerts are often not as helpful as they seem.
- The time tracking desktop app is great, giving both a list of assigned tasks and allowing time spent on them to be recorded quickly and easily.
- Xero integration means that all time tracked can be used to create invoices within our chosen accounting package with the minimum of fuss.
- Project templates ensure that each new project is quick and easy to set up and that all internal processes are included within each project.
- Notification emails would benefit from being able to set up schedules for reminders when tasks are due for completion.
- A time tracking app for Linus would be a welcome addition.
ActiveCollab Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
ActiveCollab holds all the user's work in one place - from tasks and discussions to notes and files, which the vendor says makes ActiveCollab an excellent center for all team-based activity, since users no longer have to rely on messy emails and endless "cc"s. The vendor's value proposition is that because of the more efficient workflow, teams can focus on real work and be more productive.
|On-premise Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|SaaS Edition||Pricing Details||Terms|
|5||$25||5 members per month|
|30||$99||30 members per month|
|60||$199||60 members per month|
|Infinte||$299||Infinite members per month|
|15||$49||15 members per month|
ActiveCollab Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
ActiveCollab Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android|
|Supported Countries:||All Countries|
|Supported Languages:||Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Russian and Hungarian|