We use ActiveBatch to run our DW Informatica workflows, daily tableau reports, analytics jobs, and ICEDQ rules. This allows us to minimize downtime/errors when coordinating data loads, reporting, data quality, and analysis jobs. We can also easily scheduled prod to test data refreshes which helps our team and others with development and testing priorities.
- Makes scheduling easy to understand, follow, and rerun jobs when necessary.
- Allows for cross-team coordination of scheduled tasks which reduces errors.
- Makes stopping jobs easy when needed for server/database downtime.
- Scripting enables us to easily change email addresses for failed job alerts.
- Nested plans/jobs make creating and changing dependencies simple.
- On RARE occasions, have seen scheduling properties changed that don't take effect.
- Simpler to understand/more robust reporting options would be nice to have.
- Maybe I'm missing something, but why doesn't the Instances view show completion time? Just execution time and duration.
I can only speak for our environment, but it has allowed us to get away from the unfriendly Informatica PowerCenter workflow schedule. And coordination of Informatica/Tableau/ICEDQ has been a BIG help to us. We have not tried to drill down to the Informatica session-level of detail, just stayed with running workflows. The session-level logic seemed complicated.