Adaptive Insights provides a unified Business Intelligence (BI) and Corporate Performance Management (CPM) suite of cloud-based software used for budgeting, forecasting, reporting, consolidation, dashboards, and business intelligence. The Adaptive Suite is designed for companies and nonprofits of all sizes to allow finance and management teams to work together to plan, monitor, report on, and analyze financial and operational performance.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/FK/vz/SZITLTITATCG.JPEGCareStar recommends Adaptive Insights for reporting and dashboardsWe use it for financial statements, budgeting, forecasting, and other operational reporting. We also use the dashboard for both financial and operational data. It is used by our executives and all our department directors. It has greatly streamlined our budgeting, forecasting, and financial reporting processes. Additionally, the dashboard provides a means to communicate KPIs in an efficient manner.,Financial Reporting - financial statements are done instantaneously once the books are closed. There is no processing required. Recipients of the reports can obtain everything they need self-service. There is no distribution process required. Budgeting/forecasting - We converted our Excel process (which used 30 linked workbooks, 20 sheets each, and 50+ formulas each sheet, for a total of 30,000 formulas) to Adaptive. Now that the model is set up, new forecasts can be set up in minutes, rather than hours/days. The whole model is driver-based and easy to manage. It is much more intuitive for our directors, too. All they need to supply are updated drivers to run a new budget or forecast. Dashboard - We now have a company-wide mechanism for communicating KPIs, and both financial and non-financial data. Data can be presented both visually or in numeric formats.,10,The Adaptive Planning portion of the suite is very mature and has few short-comings. The biggest improvement I can think of is the ability for formulas to cross versions. The Adaptive Discovery (dashboard) portion of the suite is much less mature. There are many chart types not available that are in Excel. For example, I would like to have an X-Y scatter chart to use. Also, some of the dial (chart) types have very little formatting options (like pie charts). While the object of the web-based product is to eliminate paper printing, there are times when it is necessary to print financial statements. It would be nice to print directly to pdf with the ability to format the reports.,Cycle time for processing financial statements, budgets, and forecasts are greatly reduced. Visibility of company metrics and drivers has been increased across the company. The ease and ability to quickly create multiple forecasts using different scenarios is now available.,There has been a much greater focus on what drives the company profitability, and what it takes to improve those drivers. By focusing on those drivers, our executives and directors can take action that directly affect the bottom line, as opposed to simply "trying to cut costs" in a general sense.With Adaptive, we report on these same drivers that, not only make them more visible, but greater effort is made to improve their accuracy and to understand how they impact the business.All of this leads to more meaningful financial statements, reports, dashboards, and budgets. With Adaptive's distribution, this information can be disseminated very quickly.,9,The first-year setup will take a great deal of time, as you would expect. But once the model and dashboards are setup, it takes a great deal less time to maintain them. I found the second cycle to be much more focused on tweaking the model, and understating how the business operates, and how it can be better represented in the model. After that, it becomes an exercise of discovering what data is available in the company, and how it can be presented in a meaningful way.To summarize, it does allow for greater time to do analysis, but don't expect that the first year.,,Yes,Product Usability Product Reputation Third-party Reviews,We have been using it about two years now and everything is working as expected, and we are very happy with it. I would give it my highest recommendation. Given our success with the product, I have no regrets as to how we did the evaluation and selection process, and would not change anything. So much product and customer satisfaction information is available online now (such as this site), that it greatly streamlines the process. The "sales pitch" does not supply objective information, as they all say they have the best product. If I were in the market for another kind of product, I would do the search in the same way.Great resources, especially for new analystsAdaptive Insights is not used by the whole organization; I believe only the Finance and Accounting departments have access to it since those departments spend the most time in Adaptive Planning. We do have certain people from other departments use Adaptive Planning during budget season, but their use is limited.Adaptive Insights helps address broad finance, accounting, and budgeting related questions and serves as an informational resource in that way. My current job is my first time working in an FP&A (Financial Planning and Analysis) department, and the "FP&A Glossary" on Adaptive Insights is very helpful. It is full of terms you hear on a day-to-day basis and provides short definitions so someone can look up a term quickly and continue to perform their job responsibilities.,Adaptive Insights has so many good resources and easy filtering capabilities with active searching. When you go to a section of Adaptive Insights, you will see filters at the top of the page. As you change them, the contents of the page change to suit what you're looking for. This makes it easy to find the resources you need! As previously mentioned, the FP&A Glossary is a great feature due to its concise definition of many common terms in FP&A. I have not had much experience with the eBooks section of Adaptive Insights, but there are is a wide variety of topics to explore, such as rolling forecasts, and best practices for controllers.,7,On the Infographics page, I would love to see a thumbnail of the infographic before clicking on it. In general, I love that when you hover over a box, you get a more detailed description, but I would also love the ability to hover and then click to see a thumbnail before opening the full page. Similarly, I think the Videos page should have the length of each video somewhere on the squares. This would help people judge how much time they would need to watch each one all the way through, and be able to make an informed decision about how many they could watch in between meetings. There is no free text search bar.,We use Adaptive Planning as our main budgeting software. Adaptive is always releasing new features to improve the functionality, and this makes working it is much more efficient. Adaptive has many resources to help you use Adaptive. However, not many answers can be found on Google.,We use the Reports module in Adaptive Planning every week, if not every day. It's helpful to quickly refresh reports and allows others at our company to run self-service reports. This has been invaluable since it frees up FP&A so we can perform more analysis.The OfficeConnect for Excel Add-On has also been very helpful in providing quick on-the-fly reporting to others within the company. We have limited licenses for this since it is not as intuitive for a first-time user.,9,Adaptive Insights has helped my role because of the quality information it provides. I believe the reports and content on Adaptive Insights have been reviewed extensively before being published, so it's unlike searching Google and being unsure of the validity of a found article.Ahead of the curve.We use Adaptive Insights for corporate budgeting, scenario planning and reporting financial information out to the business. Our FP&A group use Adaptive as the central database for financial planning internationally and are the main users of the system. Our stakeholders outside of finance also have a read-only view of the system. The key business problems we have addressed by using Adaptive are: - significantly improved budgeting and forecasting cycles (in terms of time and quality). - Improved transparency with the rest of the business.,Adaptive handles the concept of "versions" very well. This makes budgeting, forecasting, and scenario planning particularly easy. You can compare actuals vs budget, vs budget @ different rate, vs forecast or vs prior year all at the quick click of a button. Multi-user, multi-location, multi-currency handled with ease within the system. Adding or removing GL codes, levels or dimensions is really easy and is updated across the entire model. The reporting writing part of the solution is excellent. Once the data is in, you can report any parameter against any other.,10,For reforecasting (e.g. doing 3 + 9 or 6 + 6), it would be useful to do constant currency analysis for versions that are "hybrid" (i.e. contain actual and plan data). At the moment, the virtual version functionality only works properly for actual or plan only versions. We are a company going through a process of changing financial years and trying to plan over multiple financial periods of different lengths. I have found it very difficult to handle this in the system elegantly. It would be good if there were more "template" models for various common business scenarios (e.g. sets of standard modeled sheets available for personnel and fixed assets) or sets of standard cubes for revenue or projects.,Our budgeting and forecasting cycles are now faster, more accurate and can evolve dynamically throughout the process. This is especially important in our business which is experiencing rapid growth. Our ability to push out bespoke reporting to business owners has massively improved. For our most recent budget cycle, we were able to simply and quickly illustrate the impact of foreign exchange fluctuations to our board.,- Adaptive has allowed automated actual vs budget reports are now circulated throughout the budget owners of our organisation. This has freed up a lot of time for increased business partnering and analysis. - Variance analyses are now available at the click of a button and do not have to be manually prepared in Excel = time saving for improved insight and analysis. - Our board reports are now more useful to the KDMs of our business as they can be prepared with better data visualisation and faster. This enables us to spend more time on the "explaining" and "advising".,9,As a key business partner to a global organisation, I have found that Adaptive has enabled me to fully immerse myself in the aspect of my job that I love the most - talking to people and truly helping them make decisions. I no longer spend hours worrying about Excel version control or formulas breaking. I can just load up Adaptive and write a quick report and spend more time interpreting and considering the messaging for my business stakeholders. I feel like using Adaptive I have been able to more easily explain and illustrate financial trends and outcomes that have fed directly into key business decisions.,Host Analytics Cloud EPM SuiteAdaptive review from a national nonprofitWe use Adaptive across the entire organization, which includes 5 major departments and 85 business units/chapters. We plan each year in Adaptive and track and manage expenses. We use Discovery to monitor KPIs. Before Adaptive, everything was in spreadsheets that had to be consolidated by hand. Before Adaptive generating the monthly reports for each unit took 1 week per month, or 3 months of the year. Now, all financial information is available instantly. Better access to information and KPIs has allowed us to lower our expenses and increase revenue. All the grumbling about budget season has stopped and I'm actually hearing people say that they "love Adaptive.",Discovery - monitoring KPIs. The new Discovery interface is the easiest dashboard I've ever used. I can have a new report on a Dashboard in under a minute. Reporting - the click and drag graphical user interface makes it easy to design reports to answer almost any financial question. It also makes it easy to adapt a single report for 100 different users. Planning - having multiple versions and multiple levels allows us to compare, contrast, monitor and manage with ease.,9,The in-house consultants who originally set up Adaptive were poor listeners - and as a result built a model that didn't work for my organization. I had to hire an outside consulting firm with more experience with nonprofits to redo my model. I lost about 1 year of usefulness as a result. Mastering attributes for reporting takes time. The system can do many things, but not without lots of time and effort. I ended up hiring a consultant to build initial reports I needed. I'm comfortable enough now to edit and update, but still have some hesitancy building new reports. One difficulty I have is not knowing the impact a single change, such as the name of a field, can have on everything else associated with that named field or dimension or attribute. It would be nice to have a map showing the links between everything.,We've completely eliminated Excel in the budget cycle. I no longer have to consolidate 90 spreadsheets to get the organizational budget. Last minute changes are saved in Adaptive. With the audit feature, I can know who made what change and whether or not it was approved at the top level. KPI dashboards have lowered expenses as users have real-time information on their expense ratio for major events. We've been able to lower costs, increase gross revenue and net revenue all at the same time.,We already had real-time reports from our cloud-based accounting system, but their reporting system doesn't have the flexibility the Adaptive has, which is the major reason I purchased Adaptive. Complaints about our reports have stopped. I now get compliments on how easy and useful Adaptive is. I have 85 business units and 5 major departments that all have real-time access to budget to actual reports, group and personal dashboards. Another feature we've been able to incorporate is actual P&L by business unit with a moving balance. Our accounting system didn't allow us to incorporate a non-financial number (beginning unit balance) into the accounting system. We could use it in a report, which ended up being a bit clunky. With Adaptive, we imported the beginning balance and now it calculates the P&L in every report. No more questioning the validity of the numbers. Everyone can see all the inputs and outputs and its impact on the bottom line.,8,Moving to Adaptive's real time reporting has freed up 1 week per month that we used to spend preparing 85 unit P&L reports. That's 3 months of time per year freed up to spend on more strategic issues.,Adapting to the constantly changing start-up's needsWe use Adaptive Insights across all departments for budgeting purposes. On a monthly and sometimes daily basis, we use Adaptive for reporting purposes within our department, across other departments, and for external reporting purposes. We also use Adaptive within our department for forecasting. Adaptive allows us to make changes and communicate results of those changes quickly to employees, board members and investors.,Adaptive allows for more detailed budgeting. Adaptive allows managers to have more control over and take ownership of their budgets. Adaptive integrates fairly easily to most ERP and CRM systems. Through integration and the use of Office Connect, monthly and ad hoc reporting is quick and almost painless.,10,Users need more visibility for external reporting. If this already exists, then I would suggest more training or webcasts that cover this topic. On the sales side of things, I would suggest ensuring that your NEW users are aware of the amount of training involved in learning to be an ADMIN for Adaptive Insights. Users need to be able to move beyond the implementation to active use. Yes, Adaptive makes things easy, but only if you know how to write the formulas and set things up correctly to run in the background. Hands-on training is a must! Our implementation was 3 years ago, though, so maybe things have improved somewhat since then. More problem/solution-specific forums for users to interact with each other and find new and better ways of handling unique issues. Since Adaptive is so flexible, it often takes bouncing ideas off others to figure out the best way to plan for certain types of revenue or expenses.,The most positive impact has been on time. While it took some time to get things set up correctly, once we did, we were able to report results very quickly. The budgeting process has gone much more quickly. What-if scenarios are a little trickier. There are multiple ways you can do it. We have chosen to use assumptions for percentages and then copy the original version to a "what-if" version and change the assumption it is pointing to. However, this is a bit clunky. Month-end reporting is getting faster and faster the more we automate through Adaptive.,Adaptive allows you to be very precise. Accuracy is good but is still very dependent upon the information you put in. The more you automate things, the better. Accuracy is lost when overrides or manual inputs are used. Adaptive definitely helps with faster reporting and analysis. Ad hoc reporting is where we have seen the fastest and most beneficial results.,8,Adaptive has honestly made me and my role indispensable. I am generally the only one in my organization trained and comfortable enough with it to be able to make changes easily. And, management is very pleased with the quick and painless results we are able to get from Adaptive.,Microsoft Office 2016
Adaptive Insights

Adaptive Insights Reviews

Adaptive Insights
Top Rated Award
Filter 177 vetted Adaptive Insights reviews and ratings
May 11, 2018

Review: "CareStar recommends Adaptive Insights for reporting and dashboards"

• Financial Reporting - financial statements are done instantaneously once the books are closed. There is no processing required. Recipients of the reports can obtain everything they need self-service. There is no distribution process required.
  • Budgeting/forecasting - We converted our Excel process (which used 30 linked workbooks, 20 sheets each, and 50+ formulas each sheet, for a total of 30,000 formulas) to Adaptive. Now that the model is set up, new forecasts can be set up in minutes, rather than hours/days. The whole model is driver-based and easy to manage. It is much more intuitive for our directors, too. All they need to supply are updated drivers to run a new budget or forecast.
  • Dashboard - We now have a company-wide mechanism for communicating KPIs, and both financial and non-financial data. Data can be presented both visually or in numeric formats.
  • The Adaptive Planning portion of the suite is very mature and has few short-comings. The biggest improvement I can think of is the ability for formulas to cross versions.
  • The Adaptive Discovery (dashboard) portion of the suite is much less mature. There are many chart types not available that are in Excel. For example, I would like to have an X-Y scatter chart to use. Also, some of the dial (chart) types have very little formatting options (like pie charts).
  • While the object of the web-based product is to eliminate paper printing, there are times when it is necessary to print financial statements. It would be nice to print directly to pdf with the ability to format the reports.

Adaptive is well suited to present data (both financial and non-financial) in the form of financial statements, reports, budgets, forecasts, and dashboards to a distributed audience. That is, any data that can be accessed, and then summarized and presented for analytical and reporting purposes. The web-based platform allows for end-user access anywhere.

Where it is less appropriate, and often mistakenly so by those not directly involved in administering the product, is to try to use it as a replacement for an operational database and operational report writer. For example, in a SQL database, it would be better to write operating level reports directly in that database as SQL reports.

Read Jack Kersjes's full review
March 23, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Great resources, especially for new analysts"

• Adaptive Insights has so many good resources and easy filtering capabilities with active searching. When you go to a section of Adaptive Insights, you will see filters at the top of the page. As you change them, the contents of the page change to suit what you're looking for. This makes it easy to find the resources you need!
  • As previously mentioned, the FP&A Glossary is a great feature due to its concise definition of many common terms in FP&A.
  • I have not had much experience with the eBooks section of Adaptive Insights, but there are is a wide variety of topics to explore, such as rolling forecasts, and best practices for controllers.
  • On the Infographics page, I would love to see a thumbnail of the infographic before clicking on it. In general, I love that when you hover over a box, you get a more detailed description, but I would also love the ability to hover and then click to see a thumbnail before opening the full page.
  • Similarly, I think the Videos page should have the length of each video somewhere on the squares. This would help people judge how much time they would need to watch each one all the way through, and be able to make an informed decision about how many they could watch in between meetings.
  • There is no free text search bar.
I am unable to rate Adaptive Insights higher than 7 out of 10 because I have not fully explored the functionality. Based on what I know and what I have seen, I would definitely recommend Adaptive Insights. I would love if more people at my company used it, so then we could share content with each other. There is a lot of content for one person to explore.
Read Samantha Monastra's full review
March 23, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Ahead of the curve."

The key business problems we have addressed by using Adaptive are:
- Improved transparency with the rest of the business.
  • Adaptive handles the concept of "versions" very well. This makes budgeting, forecasting, and scenario planning particularly easy. You can compare actuals vs budget, vs budget @ different rate, vs forecast or vs prior year all at the quick click of a button.
  • Multi-user, multi-location, multi-currency handled with ease within the system.
  • Adding or removing GL codes, levels or dimensions is really easy and is updated across the entire model.
  • The reporting writing part of the solution is excellent. Once the data is in, you can report any parameter against any other.
  • For reforecasting (e.g. doing 3 + 9 or 6 + 6), it would be useful to do constant currency analysis for versions that are "hybrid" (i.e. contain actual and plan data). At the moment, the virtual version functionality only works properly for actual or plan only versions.
  • We are a company going through a process of changing financial years and trying to plan over multiple financial periods of different lengths. I have found it very difficult to handle this in the system elegantly.
  • It would be good if there were more "template" models for various common business scenarios (e.g. sets of standard modeled sheets available for personnel and fixed assets) or sets of standard cubes for revenue or projects.
Adaptive Insights is very fit for us as a global company of c.600 employees. We have offices in multiple countries and have multiple users who need to access the data simultaneously. We are going through a rapid period of expansion and change as a business and Adaptive is easily able to keep up.

For very small companies, Adaptive may be too much. For a very large organization, there may be other solutions that are more suitable.
Read Andy Clifton's full review
March 20, 2018

Adaptive Insights: "Adaptive review from a national nonprofit"

• Discovery - monitoring KPIs. The new Discovery interface is the easiest dashboard I've ever used. I can have a new report on a Dashboard in under a minute.
  • Reporting - the click and drag graphical user interface makes it easy to design reports to answer almost any financial question. It also makes it easy to adapt a single report for 100 different users.
  • Planning - having multiple versions and multiple levels allows us to compare, contrast, monitor and manage with ease.
  • The in-house consultants who originally set up Adaptive were poor listeners - and as a result built a model that didn't work for my organization. I had to hire an outside consulting firm with more experience with nonprofits to redo my model. I lost about 1 year of usefulness as a result.
  • Mastering attributes for reporting takes time. The system can do many things, but not without lots of time and effort. I ended up hiring a consultant to build initial reports I needed. I'm comfortable enough now to edit and update, but still have some hesitancy building new reports. One difficulty I have is not knowing the impact a single change, such as the name of a field, can have on everything else associated with that named field or dimension or attribute. It would be nice to have a map showing the links between everything.
Well suited: to plan multiple budgets that roll up into a single organizational budget; planning alternate scenarios, reporting by multiple user defined parameters; rolling budgets; rolling forecasts, tracking KPI, visual dashboards.

Not as well suited for: neophyte programmer, software is complex and difficult to set up. Once it's set up it's much easier to use, however single changes can have multiple domino effects on other reports or sheets, or dashboards.
Read Daniel Killpack's full review
March 15, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adapting to the constantly changing start-up's needs"

• Adaptive allows for more detailed budgeting.
  • Adaptive allows managers to have more control over and take ownership of their budgets.
  • Adaptive integrates fairly easily to most ERP and CRM systems.
  • Through integration and the use of Office Connect, monthly and ad hoc reporting is quick and almost painless.
  • Users need more visibility for external reporting. If this already exists, then I would suggest more training or webcasts that cover this topic.
  • On the sales side of things, I would suggest ensuring that your NEW users are aware of the amount of training involved in learning to be an ADMIN for Adaptive Insights. Users need to be able to move beyond the implementation to active use. Yes, Adaptive makes things easy, but only if you know how to write the formulas and set things up correctly to run in the background. Hands-on training is a must! Our implementation was 3 years ago, though, so maybe things have improved somewhat since then.
  • More problem/solution-specific forums for users to interact with each other and find new and better ways of handling unique issues. Since Adaptive is so flexible, it often takes bouncing ideas off others to figure out the best way to plan for certain types of revenue or expenses.
Internally, Adaptive makes budgeting and reporting amazingly simple. External reporting has been more of a challenge, as some external users of reports want more visibility into where the numbers came from.
Read Amy Kee, CPA's full review
August 03, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Great tool once you get the training"

It is being predominantly used for financial reporting and trend analysis by the finance teams
  • It is very visually appealing
  • As long as the hierarchy is built out right it's very efficient
  • Security access is great
  • The user experience could be better. Its difficult to get up to speed.
  • It could be more visually appealing
  • Send report feature in the tool needs to be improved
Really great for reporting and trend analysis
Read Brandon Samuels's full review
August 01, 2018

User Review: "Adaptive Insights"

Adaptive Suite is used by the whole organization, even though the data entry is centralized in one department. It is used to plan the budget of the current and following year and to analyze the information by the reports customized by us.
  • Reload with new info
  • Import data
  • Export data
  • Reports
Well suited for any medium to a large-sized company that needs to forecast and budget their operations.
Read Victoria Ferrando's full review
March 26, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive Changed our way of looking at FP&A"

Miles uses Adaptive as the standard system for all financial and budgeting/forecasting data. It is used at the executive level down to the project managers. It is the system that we use to evaluate and compare business units and their respective financial impact to the company.
  • Forecasting and Budgeting. We went from Quarterly forecasting to Monthly.
  • Ease of use. Adoption was very from users that are familiar with Excel.
  • Reporting and Variance Analysis.
  • Dashboarding and KPIs
  • Reporting. Could use a little more functionality, Pivot tables are an example. And Formatting of Reporting. Although, they do offer Office Connect which we use to circumvent these shortfalls.
  • Versioning levels. It would be much easier if we could activate or deactivate a level within a version. Right now a level is global.
  • Formulas have a quick way to see where a formula is applied and be able to add or change it across all instances. They have a way of doing this but it is a little time-consuming.
We are both a service provider and a production (inventory for sale) company. Adaptive's ability to be customized makes forecasting these different types of business models very easy.
Read Ed Behen's full review
March 26, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "User-Friendly Planning"

We use Adaptive Planning to support our customers and farm credit associations, in their annual business planning. It allows for rolling forecasting, while also re-addressing budgeting every planning season.
  • With built-in and developed assumptions, it produces a very efficient beginning point for planning. It takes out most of the leg work of analysis on a line by line, and level by level basis.
  • Producing reports from the budget sheets is quick and effective, literally at the click of a button. Also, developing reports is fairly straight forward and easy to create.
  • Integration of data is well connected throughout Adaptive Planning.
  • It may just be how our model is constructed, but I've had feedback that our customers would like to be able to plan using an average interest rate function, rather than by product.
  • Would love chart integration in the sheets, to see trend analysis better.
I would say that Adaptive is great for reporting and planning functions. However, we only really utilize the Planning segment of Adaptive Insights. I truly appreciate the ease of modeling and forecasting by implementing a few high-level assumptions and allowing the model and formulas do their work to create the outcome. From there, I can tweak and evaluate as necessary.
Read Stephanie Dechant, MBA's full review
March 21, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Acquire Adaptive!"

In my organization, Adaptive Insights is used by managers only and some other workers at the second level. The only issue we currently have is that the data is uploaded manually, therefore, the other users don’t have the information updated real time.
  • User-friendly
  • It empowers users to work on their own
  • It makes it easy to view and create online reports
  • The option of a template is very important for the personalization of reports
  • None
It’s well suited for strategic planning and financial management. It’s less appropriate for statistics.
Read Martin Davila's full review
March 20, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive Insight offers reporting flexibility"

It's currently used by finance department for reporting purposes. Adaptive captures the data in multiple accounts and dimensions. It provides transparency in presenting the actuals/budget/forecast figures to the relevant business unit. It enables the user to identify an anomaly and drill down to the lower level dimension to investigate the root cause. It is also being used as a budget and forecasting tool with several versions across all business unit cost centres.
  • Adaptive is easy to use. It enables direct manual input to the spreadsheet and also direct file upload for bulk input. It also has multiple accounts, version, level, and dimensions which give more flexibility to the user in customizing the reporting layout. It adapts to the current business needs which requires multiple various lookout angle of to the data presentation.
  • There are various online trainings provided to get an insight and knowledge on how Adaptive works, and the support team has also been very helpful. They are always ready and attend to my query for all of the problems which I encountered in using Adaptive.
  • I use Office Connect for Excel and it has performed tremendously well. Once the formula is set up in the Excel file which is linked to Adaptive, I am able to just do a quick change to the criteria and refresh my monthly reporting file, and the file is ready! As simple as that. It saves me a great deal of time and enables me to perform my reporting process efficiently.
  • There are many things that can be improved in cube sheet. Here and below are the examples : There is no tools to direct upload accounts GL data to cube sheet. It's currently available for standard sheet but not for cube sheet an it has to be created manually one by one.
  • The numbers in cube sheet cannot be linked to standard sheet by formula or vice versa.
  • Currently there's no connection between office connect and adaptive website report. Love to see any improvement in this area for example : office connect file can be saved as a one of the report in Adaptive website and vice versa. It's stand alone at the moment and there's no flexibility around it as the user have to stick either way in office connect or Adaptive website report once they create it.
Adaptive enables input data to multiple dimensions - accounts, level, scenario, dimensions, and time. It provides multiple angles to look at the data.
Read Thomas Daniel's full review
March 20, 2018

User Review: "Adaptive Insights - a real gem!"

Adaptive Insights (AI) is being used for budgeting and forecasting and for financial reporting. It is used across the organization. The budgeting/forecasting solution is used primarily by the treasury team and the financial reporting solution is used by the accounting team, however, all departments are encouraged to use AI to view current expectations and to see budget and actual details.
  • Provides boundary controls on the budget process to avoid formula errors experienced in Excel
  • Has audit trail to track who made which input
  • Provides significant history (currently 6 years) with fast processing time.
  • Has flexible reporting capabilities.
  • The time filter can't be set as a default so when you navigate through various sheets looking at one particular period you often have to adjust the time filter from the one previous used on any given sheet.
  • GL account order can not be easily modified (e.g. to get to numerical order after adding a new account) and in some cases is impossible.
  • Training can be expensive.
Adaptive is well suited to annual and rolling forecasts to aid in the budgeting and forecasting process. It is also well suited to customized financial reporting and analysis. My understanding is that AI also supports dashboards, however, we have not implemented this capability yet.
Read Doug Schrock's full review
March 20, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive for all analysts"

We use Adaptive as out primary forecasting tool for all SG&A. We are currently implementing Revenue and COGS.
  • Adaptive has great, knowledgeable and responsive support consultants.
  • Adaptive along with the report tool OfficeConnect is very user-friendly and allows you to forecast and report easily.
  • Our company has constant GL/Dept/Product structure changes but making those adjustments in Adaptive is easy.
  • Being able to have a consolidated view of all split level detail regardless department or account.
  • Automatic GL/Department/Product structure updates from Oracle.
  • Giving the businesses the ability to model scenarios without having an admin to create a separate version.
Adaptive is solid for SG&A forecasting. We are currently implementing COGS and Revenue and haven't run into many issues. However, if your company has multiple entities, maintenance can be a little cumbersome.
Read Angelique Stewart's full review
March 18, 2018

Adaptive Insights: "Basic Review"

Every department in the organization uses Adaptive Insights. Most of the users do budgeting and reviewing of actuals in Adaptive. It allows us to transmit the financials to each specific person without having to send individualized monthly reports.
  • Reporting
  • Budgeting
  • I think learning how to build the reports is the drawback. I currently don't do that for myself.
We have only just started using Adaptive. This is something that we are going to be using more features as time goes on. I use it to review the actuals to budget during month end close. The reporting we were able to build in the system has helped speed our review process up.
Read Ernie Leonard's full review
March 15, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive for non-profits"

We're using it across the entire organization, currently for budgeting, but eventually for forecasting, reporting, etc.
  • There's a lot of flexibility in how you implement the tool.
  • It saves time on areas like allocations and other re-calculations as things change in your planning process.
  • After implementation, it can be challenging to understand all of the design elements.
  • Every once in a while you'll come across a place where you'll say "boy, that doesn't work the way I would have hoped", but Adaptive is always making improvements.
The more complex the organization, the more the tool's flexibility will be apparent. It really helps you implement best practices, and makes it easy to change things on the fly. You reduce the amount of estimation, and use historical results and calculations to determine various rates.
Read Chip Auscavitch's full review
March 20, 2018

Review: "Adaptive Insights for Revenue Forecasting"

We use Adaptive Insights primarily for our revenue and operations planning.
  • Adaptive Insights makes it easy for multiple users to work on their forecast at the same time. In the past, we had each sales manager submit their monthly forecast via Excel and then all the files needed to be consolidated. This is no longer needed with Adaptive Insights.
  • Adaptive Insights allows for real-time sales forecast updates.
  • When we originally implemented Adaptive Insights, the system was very slow and almost unusable. After working with Adaptive Insights we were able to get the issue resolved. Moral of the story is to be careful how you implement the system.
Revenue and operations planning.
Read David Spektor's full review
March 16, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive is a game changer!"

Currently, I am using Adaptive Insights for our budgeting, forecasting, and variance reporting. I am working with my Adaptive support team to also begin using Adaptive for scenario planning. The reports are being used across our entire organization.
  • Adaptive is great at building a budget model, and providing reports around that model.
  • Adaptive allows me to build our budget in various currencies for our global entities.
  • Adaptive is great at allowing me to take a scenario, or version of our budget, and then tweaking it as we consider various business decisions, to determine the financial impact.
  • I think Adaptive has room for improvement regarding the ability to use various sheets from an updated version - I'd like to be able to take a sheet that I've updated - say the Personnel sheet - and then have that information integrated back into a previous version. Hard to explain - and it may be something that I can already do but just haven't figured it out yet.
  • I'd like to have more formatting options with the Discovery tools.
Adaptive Insights is well suited to the scenarios I've already listed.
Read Karen Phillips's full review
March 23, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Once setup, a very useful tool."

The software is being used across the whole organization to create annual budgets, year-end projections, and monthly income statements. The security allows the company to give different users different access rights.
  • The security is simple to use. We can restrict users to only see certain departments or sheets. We can also limit who sees salary information.
  • Reports are easy to create and can be exported in a clean format to Excel or PDF.
  • The systems allow you to enter data directly into the software or you can upload data from an external source.
  • The programming of new sheets and formulas can be created with limited programming knowledge but you need to bounce around to a few different windows to get some formulas to work. I think it's easier to create formulas in Excel, but once the formulas are created they work well.
Adaptive is good for creating a budget or rolling forecast. It also has strong reporting capabilities.
March 23, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Take your Planning & Reporting to the Next Level!"

We use Adaptive Insights for planning purposes. We have designed a forecast process within Adaptive Insights to help us with our production and revenue planning. We also use it to make informed decisions in regards to our most profitable customers and/or brands. In the next few months, we are implementing a process to assist us with the accuracy of our annual budget.
  • Data Structure - The use of dimension attributes is a huge help to our organization. As an example, you can list the brand for each item that you currently sell. You can then run a report to summarize sales by brand.
  • User-friendly - Adaptive Insights is the easiest system I've ever worked with. The layout of the user interface made it very easy for me to teach myself on how to navigate and use the system.
  • Speed - Everything in Adaptive Insights is very quick. Updates made to the system, uploads, excel exports, and calculation updates. This is crucial to the success of our organization and has helped us in more ways than one.
  • On a cube sheet, there should be an option to eliminate totals if you list different accounts for a single dimension.
Adaptive Insights is well suited for a company that gathers and uses a lot of data. Not so much for a small business just getting started.
March 23, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive Exceeded Expectations"

We use Adaptive across the whole group (5 operations in Africa and an HQ in the UK) for the monthly consolidation and reporting of actuals and as part of the annual budgeting process.
  • Enabled us to reduce monthly closes by 3 to 4 days. Now we report our group results 1 to 2 days after the operations have submitted.
  • Provides one version of the truth for both actuals, forecasts, and budgets. Facilitates variance reporting against these versions.
  • We use Office Connect for Excel extensively for our reporting of both operating results and group results. Once the standard template has been developed we refresh and report each month literally at the press of a button.
  • We have found Adaptive to be very user-friendly and was very quick and easy to implement. Most of the implementation and development work was done by ourselves without the need for external consulting.
  • Adaptive provides strong ongoing support. Whenever we spot a bug or have an issue we always get a quick response.
  • As mentioned above, I would like to be able to use it to model our long-term (10 year) annual plans, but we are forced to work in monthly rests (which we need for our actuals and budgets).
  • We use Office Connect for excel extensively for our reporting. Whilst it is a good tool, if I compare it with Hyperion Retrieve which I used many years ago it is not as easy to use, you can't copy formulae across and you can't use it to push data back to the database.
  • I would like to have a bit more contact with Adaptive in the UK. Whilst we are very happy with the product and very self-sufficient it would be good to have a bit more frequent contact with Adaptive other than when they require a customer reference or when our license needs renewing.
We use it for the monthly group consolidation, annual consolidation of financial statements, consolidation of budgets and forecasts as well as for the reporting for all of these. For this Adaptive is well suited. We've looked to use it for long-term planning (10-year plans), but have found it less well suited.
March 16, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive for the entire organization and SPEED"

We use Adaptive across the whole organization. We use it for budgeting including sales forecasting, expenses, sales commissions calculations, capital expenditure planning and various budget reporting. We also use it for our financial reporting system throughout the organization. We are starting to build out dashboard and kpi metrics.
  • We like the flexibility of reporting and being able to drill into the detail and both a customer/item level for sales and account level for expenses. It gives much more information available to the user in a single sign on.
  • The budget process is very nice. You have the ability to roll over budgets from year to year and make modifications to them. You can go back to a previous version and see exactly how things were budgeted. You have the ability to see prior year actuals by account when budgeting for the next year.
  • We are starting to use Adaptive for a rolling forcast/projection tool as well by using a second version of the budget and making that more adaptable to how things are performing throughout the year as well as what is still to come.
  • We wish some of the dashboard reporting had some more options in terms of formatting to better show actuals vs. budget or prior year in the charts. There are a lot of color options but not as much in terms of lines or other markings.
  • You can drill into the account detail to see the transactions for the monthly information but you cannot not drill into the account detail for the year-to-date columns. This would be a useful feature to have available.
Adaptive is a nice tool for pulling in data from various sources not just the ERP. We bring in payroll hours data so the operations team can easily review hours worked versus the hours planned because we have a lot of seasonal employees who are budgeted more in an hour time frame by function rather than by person specifically. We also bring in customer level data so you can drill into a customer and get to the transaction level detail when needed. Training is key. You have to keep users on it so they don't forget how to use it. It helps if you you can have some power users or analyst type people who really understand the product.
March 14, 2018

Review: "Happy repeat Adaptive Insights customer"

Adaptive Insights is being used by our organization as the source of financial truth for FP&A. We constructed our budget in Adaptive Insights, are using it for rolling forecasts, and are using it as the source system for investor and management financial reporting.
  • The system interface is quite easy to use for financially-oriented employees.
  • The versioning tools are excellent and minimize confusion as we roll through versions of the budget and forecast.
  • The reporting tools are flexible and clear.
  • Working with businesses using data sets of many dimensions and high cardinality can be difficult - our organization had to shoehorn multiple dimensions in by using some system hacks which were less than optimal.
  • While reporting is flexible, the in-environment reporting tool has limited formatting capabilities. It would be nice for it to look more polished.
  • Office Connect, the tool to import data into Office documents, can be a bit tetchy and not always update particularly well.
Adaptive Insights is very well-suited to budgeting across an organization where there are multiple stakeholders in multiple locations, and when rollups are essential. One note of caution is that if you are working with data sets of very large cardinality, and have complicated revenue buildups, it is possible to strain the capacity of the underlying data cubes and calculation engines - long lags can be experienced if you work with this kind of data.
April 15, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Adaptive is user-friendly and easy to deploy"

I use adaptive suite for budgeting and variance analysis. It is being used by one department within finance. It enables multiple users to access the budgeting tool and gives us the ability to look at different scenarios by locking and unlocking our budgets.
  • Adaptive is good for cross-collaboration. The ability to see updates real-time expedites the budgeting process. Afterall, in coming up with a consolidated P&L forecast, there are inter-dependencies. For example, some departments' spend is allocated out.
  • Adaptive is good for looking at the intersection of subsidiaries, departments, and expense accounts. The ability to pivot a one line item is business critical.
  • Sometimes it takes a while to load.
  • I would like to change the time scale shown in a simpler way. I need to take several steps to change views such as on a monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis. I change views so often that I wish it was just one click of a button.
Adaptive is great for collaborative work since it is in the cloud. For example, we have multiple people managing budgets that are for different departments. These inputs need to be consolidated on a timely basis. Adaptive is good for that since it allows for multiple users to collaborate on the same platform. I do not typically work on ad-hoc financial analysis in Adaptive, however. I typically download the information and analyze outside since it’s easier for me to pivot outside of the system.
April 02, 2018

Adaptive Insights Review: "Forecasting Replacing Excel Made Easy"

Adaptive Insights is being used primarily as a shared sales forecast tool for one of our Sales Categories. The outside sales team input sales numbers directly and then we use that data to generate a monthly sales forecast. We also update actual sales information in Adaptive and report out based on actual-versus-budget/forecast.
  • Adaptive eliminates the need for Excel sheets for budgets.
  • Adaptive uses the cloud to share similar data and have data updated simultaneously, where with spreadsheets you might have to wait for someone to enter data into a spreadsheet or someone manually copy data into a master file. Adaptive becomes the master file.
  • It helps store history quite well when wanting to compare things from previous periods or to look at trends.
  • When looking at totals on average selling prices, the sheet tries to average all of the selling prices instead of calculating total sales dollar and volume.
Adaptive Insights is really good for reporting, budgeting, forecasting and eliminating Excel. Adaptive Insights is not so good with large amounts of data and can be cumbersome with part numbers or categories that change regularly.
March 21, 2018

Review: "Adaptive Insights - an easy to use time saving solution"

We primarily use Adaptive Insights for financial planning and analysis. Administration is handled by finance but we have users in various departments across the business who are able to manage their budgets and view their cost reports through Adaptive.

In finance, we produce the management reports (i.e Company P&L statement, cash flows etc.) for our board pack in Adaptive Insights - rolling forward these from month to month is much quicker and easier than in previous years, when we would have to export all the data from our accounting system into Excel and spend hours producing graphs and charts.
  • Allows the user to easily slice their data in many different ways.
  • Simple to set up allocation formulae (i.e for overheads) that save a lot of time and complex calculation.
  • Easy to give various budget owners different licences with distinct levels of permissions and access.
  • Sometimes support responses can be a bit generic which is a little frustrating, having been a customer for a couple of years now.
  • It's still tricky to exclude accounts/levels from reports - it's normally then a case of having to drag in each specifically.
  • Drill-down functionality can be a little illogical/confusing at times.
Adaptive is well suited for producing a variety of reports on a monthly basis, from simple cost reports for budget holders to modeling forecasts for a variety of planning scenarios in the next five years. Easily creating multiple forecast versions from which assumptions can be quickly tweaked makes it quick and easy to model the effect of revenue growth on certain costs, amongst a plethora of other examples. The Discovery module makes producing charts and graphs simple that very quickly show trends and variances and can be taken immediately into board meetings using the presentation mode.

Long-term financial planning (87)
Financial budgeting (95)
Forecasting (89)
Scenario modeling (86)
Management reporting (94)
Financial data consolidation (50)
Journal entries and reports (27)
6.0
Multi-currency management (35)
Intercompany Eliminations (26)
Minority Ownership (13)
Local and consolidated reporting (40)
Detailed Audit Trails (54)
Financial Statement Reporting (73)
Management Reporting (84)
Excel-based Reporting (82)
9.2
Automated board and financial reporting (73)
XBRL support for regulatory filing (8)
Personalized dashboards (54)
Color-coded scorecards (45)
6.4
KPIs (53)
Cost and profitability analysis (59)
Key Performance Indicator setting (46)
Benchmarking with external data (29)
Flat file integration (57)
Excel data integration (74)
9.5
Direct links to 3rd-party data sources (52)

About Adaptive Insights

Adaptive Insights, a Workday company, aims to power a new generation of business planning, and drive business agility in a fast-moving world. The Adaptive Insights Business Planning Cloud offers powerful modeling for organizations of any size, and helps people in companies to collaborate, gain insights, and make smarter decisions faster.

More than 3,800 organizations across 50-plus countries use Adaptive Insights. The vendor says the product is easy, powerful and fast, and enables "active planning". Recognized for the solution's ease of use, Adaptive Insights ranks #1 in customer satisfaction in independent industry surveys from leading market analysts such as Gartner, Forrester, and BPM Partners.

According to the vendor, Adaptive Insights helps mid-size & enterprise organizations’ leaders better manage their business:
  • Adaptive Insights enables organizations to break free from static planning, to active planning
  • Active planning is collaborative, comprehensive, and continuous
  • Active planning requires a solution that’s easy, powerful, and fast
Capabilities include:
  • Automated Budgeting and Forecasting to increase productivity
  • Self-Service Financial Reporting allowing users to create, share and personalize reports
  • Seamless Integration with Salesforce.com, NetSuite, Intacct, & MS Dynamics

Has featureScenario modeling
Has featureManagement reporting
Consolidation and Close Features
Has featureFinancial data consolidation
Has featureJournal entries and reports
Has featureMulti-currency management
Has featureIntercompany Eliminations
Has featureMinority Ownership
Has featureLocal and consolidated reporting
Has featureDetailed Audit Trails
FInancial Reporting and Compliance Features
Has featureFinancial Statement Reporting
Has featureManagement Reporting
Has featureExcel-based Reporting
Has featureAutomated board and financial reporting
Has featureXBRL support for regulatory filing
Analytics Features
Has featurePersonalized dashboards
Has featureColor-coded scorecards
Has featureKPIs
Has featureCost and profitability analysis
Has featureKey Performance Indicator setting
Has featureBenchmarking with external data
Integration Features
Has featureFlat file integration
Has featureExcel data integration
Has featureDirect links to 3rd-party data sources

Adaptive Insights Screenshots

Adaptive Insights Video

Don’t settle for static plans. Get active planning with Adaptive Insights – your source for business budgeting software that is easy, powerful, and fast.

Adaptive Insights Integrations