Audition Reviews

Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 02, 2020

Great for Ad Hoc Recording Sessions, Podcasting, Broadcast and Video

I primarily use Adobe Audition for recording rather than audio editing. I find the user interface suitable for easily recording on-site on my MacBook Pro laptop. I can do rudimentary audio editing as I go, and set up audio buses for basic effects like noise gates and compression. It additionally has nice integration with Adobe Premiere for when you are doing audio recording or editing for use in video and motion graphics. I've used Audition for recording interviews, voice-overs, software, and other product demos, and for customer development purposes to get a record of customer feedback.
  • Recording on-site: Audition does not use a lot of computer resources so you can run it on a laptop and be up and running recording in minutes.
  • On-the-fly audio bus setup.
  • Integration with Adobe Premiere.
  • Numerous features for podcasts and radio such as auto-ducking music when voice tracks are active.
  • Audio editing: I still prefer competitors like Magix Sound Forge Pro and Steinberg WaveLab Pro when it comes to extensive audio editing, simply because of their superior keyboard navigation and shortcuts, in my opinion.
  • Multitrack recording: While this is not Audition's primary purpose, and it does feature multitrack support, it is not my preferred audio editor for multitrack editing. I prefer a more full-featured Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) for those purposes.
  • Some UI choices fit more with the Adobe ecosystem of Photoshop, Premiere, etc. and are unusual for a more audio-focused ecosystem. Audition feels like it belongs to a different "world" of software than many of my other audio applications, which all seem to coexist within the same conceptual world. This is not a problem if you are familiar with Adobe apps, and may even be a feature, as it reduces the learning curve for people who are already familiar with the internal logic of Adobe user interface design.
Adobe Audition is great for on-location recording, or just recording in general, but especially when you want to be up and running with little fuss. It is also great for audio for film and motion graphics, within the Adobe ecosystem, because of its tight integration with Adobe Premiere. Furthermore, it is well-suited for podcasting and broadcast audio because of its features aimed specifically at podcasters, like auto-ducking of music tracks with voiceover. Audition also has very nice features like Diagnostics, Delete Silence, and Trim Long Silent Pauses, which automatically removes silence in spoken word audio tracks.

Audition is less suited for extensive audio editing where you want to, for instance, listen to a 2-hour interview at double speed and add markers in at all the gaps which need to be edited more precisely than the automated silence trimming can handle. In that case, I prefer an application like Sound Forge which allows me to rapidly mark and navigate through the markers, all using the keyboard. Audition does have marker support (also called cues) and perhaps if I were more familiar with the hotkeys, I would find it just as easy to use. However, given the choice, I prefer editing in Sound Forge or WaveLab.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Tom Mulhern | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 11, 2020

Adobe Audition - Turn UP your audio editing skills!

Adobe Audition is one of the best audio editing tools available on the market. I use Adobe Audition for all of my audio editing needs; including editing podcasts, music or dialogue for videos, or creative side projects. I also use the tools in Adobe Audition alongside Adobe's full creative cloud suite of products for creating digital media.
  • Podcast editing.
  • Audio effects and compression.
  • Repairing damaged audio.
  • Music editing.
  • No music creation tools.
  • Expensive.
  • Loop library.
Adobe Audition is very well suited for someone who is familiar with the standard Adobe interface and needs a comprehensive tool for editing or repairing audio. It has all of the effects, plugins, and tools to create professional and high quality audio projects. It has an intuitive interface if you have used any of the other Adobe products before.
Read Tom Mulhern's full review
Vinny Hebert | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 24, 2020

20+ Years of Solid Audio Editing

I use Adobe Audition in several ways. 1) I do weekly trivia voice where I not only record my voice to intro things, but some of my trivia games (that I create) require the use of Adobe Audition to edit and manipulate songs. 2) I do a daily podcast that I record and edit in Adobe Audition.
  • Noise Reduction
  • Editing
  • Audio Hardware Mapping can be funky
  • Takes a while to load
Adobe Audition is a powerhouse. If you are only doing simple audio editing, maybe this is not for you. But if you like having the option of multi-track editing, many filters, and the control over your sound, then Audition is your choice. I deal with vintage radio programs that some were transferred from tapes to a digital form, and sometimes you get the whine, like a squeaky wheel. To have the ability to see the audio in a frequency GUI and isolate frequencies is just amazing.
Read Vinny Hebert's full review
Walter Aho | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2020

Powerful, easy, and reliable.

Audition is currently used primarily for a podcast production and occasionally accompanies a video project. Audition has given me full control over my audio production while integrating very well into other Premiere and AfterEffect projects as needed. Powerful tools, such as adaptive noise reduction, makes it reasonable for someone not formally educated in audio production to produce great sounding audio.
  • Stability even in longer recordings.
  • Intuitive interface.
  • Interfacing with soundboards could be simpler.
  • Ability to monitor single track recordings would be great.
For basic recordings, or use in video and animations, Audition has been great. Where I could see it breaking down would be in a music production setting. The interface doesn't seem to lend itself well to working across devices, DAWs and controllers very well. That being said, while other options are more "typical" for those applications, Audition would still create a fantastic end result.
Read Walter Aho's full review
Andy Fuller | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 13, 2020

Good solution for novices and pros alike

We use Audition within my department to edit a podcast. The podcast is called Notre Dame Stories, and runs every 3 weeks during the academic year at the University of Notre Dame. The podcast features narrative storytelling as well as interviews with faculty and students who are engaging in interesting research and creating knowledge in a variety of disciplines.
  • Audition is intuitive - you can cut and arrange clips using a clear interface.
  • Audition has ready-made templates based on your needs: podcast, song, etc.
  • The compression is a little off sometimes. The trick is to adjust the leveling amount in a track, but that's not readily apparent.
  • I'd love the ability to crowd-share, so other team members can work on the same project at the same time across machines.
Adobe Audition is a great solution for a beginning podcaster or broadcaster who needs an intuitive platform to edit and adjust their audio files. The interface allows you to mix multiple audio files together, such as interviews, sound effects, voice over, and music. It has all the tools readily available to help you produce a polished product. Like any platform, there are some tips and tricks you have to learn by immersing yourself in the program. For instance, there is often a static sound produced in some tracks that can be removed by adjusting the leveler in a given track. This program may not be useful for someone with literally no computer/tech savvy whatsoever.
Read Andy Fuller's full review
Kevin O'Grady | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 12, 2020

Adobe Audition wins the Audition!

We create weekly podcasts with Adobe Audition, and we have been doing so since 2012. Before that, we used Audacity and other free tools. They were great and highly recommended too, but the time came when we needed to step up our game. We found ourselves sometimes wanting to go back to the free tools, but as time went by and our expertise increased, we found ourselves getting so many benefits from Adobe Audition that we could never go back.
  • Just as easy to use as free tools.
  • Full integration with all the other programs in the Adobe suite.
  • To use Audacity on its own is costly, but if you use other programs in the Adobe Suite, it is a great value.
  • It is a hefty user of computer resources. This has become less so over the years, but it still takes a beefy computer to get the best from it.
If you can afford it, go for Adobe Audition over the available free tools. The free audio programs are great, but when the time comes in your personal or business life when you need to go pro, then Adobe Audition is the best choice. We left it late to embrace the full functionality of Adobe Audition and found out the hard way that we should have just dived in. Our podcasts and online courses have benefitted so much from having switched to Adobe Audition 8 years ago, and now we will not go back.
Read Kevin O'Grady's full review
Nathan Morimitsu | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 21, 2020

Audition brings the studio into the office

I have used Adobe Audition at several companies, all for similar purposes. My primary use for it is to record, edit, and clean up audio files to be used with training videos I make. It allowed for me to make professional quality audio recordings without having to invest heavily in studio time, or in studio equipment.
  • Easy to use.
  • Unmatched quality.
  • Better documentation.
  • Ability to add/work with a DAW.
Being able to incorporate/integrates Audition with Premiere makes adding audio to video projects easy. Premiere allows you to edit the original audio file in Audition, and it will automatically update in your video project without having to delete the original file and import the new file. This saves an enormous amount of time and makes editing on the fly super easy and intuitive.
Read Nathan Morimitsu's full review
Chris Hecox | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Review: Adobe Audition

Adobe Audition is a fairly powerful tool that outdoes alternative free options for audio editing/sweetening, and offers a robust set of tools for quick cutting and exporting. I use Audition whenever I'm working with audio files, which is quite frequent.
  • Audition has an excellent noise reduction plugin. If you work in VO or corporate video, you'll do lots of noise reduction. The versatility of how you can remove noise is wide, and the plugin itself is powerful.
  • Audition offers a number of ways to edit sections of audio within a wavelength. If a plugin isn't doing the job, there are many ways to work in the software to eliminate pops and other unwanted artifacts in your audio file.
  • Audition has a lot of features, but to me, it feels like Adobe neglects it more often than not. Where I see lots of new, and sometimes incredible, additions to other Adobe products, Audition feels a bit dated in many ways.
  • Audition doesn't scrub the timeline well. It does a decent job, but quick editing and scrubbing needs good hotkeys and good navigation precision to be on top of things.
Adobe Audition is a huge upgrade from a free alternative like Audacity (though I used an older version of Audacity). I recommend podcasters, etc, at least give it a go. For heavy professional use, like mixing, I'd use a higher tier tool like Pro Tools.
Read Chris Hecox's full review
April 23, 2020

Adobe Audition - for professional audio people

We are solely using Adobe Audition for audio-cleanup for our video production. We import the audio from recorded video and clean it up to make it pitch-perfect, remove noise, etc. It gives our video that professional quality audio that we desire, which we find to be very important for video retention.
  • Audio manipulation
  • Visual of audio waves to really hone in on what you're editing
  • Complex program with near-infinite capabilities
  • Maybe a more user-friendly interface--it's intimidating at first.
I give Adobe Audition an "8" because there are free tools out there (like Audacity) that do the job as well. As most know, Adobe Audition is part of Adobe's Creative Cloud license which means there are significant monetary barriers. This product is well suited for an audio and video professional looking to get the best out of their audio output.
January 18, 2020

Adobe Audition is the all around audio editor, especially if you already have Adobe CC

We use Adobe Audition to regularly edit audio content for both webcasts and podcasts live and pre-recorded. We use Adobe Audition across the entire organization, with even a few sales reps using it to edit their own sales-based podcasts. It's great that it is included with Adobe Creative Suite, which we already subscribe to, and that we don't have to purchase and additional piece of software.
  • Easy to pickup if you have experience with any other editing software.
  • Integrates with other Adobe software, ie Premiere.
  • Noise reduction can be tricky to use.
  • Multi-track support for certain recorders is needed.
For complex, multi-track editing, Adobe Audition is very well suited. Its environment for mixing the tracks works well and can make editing audio very efficient. If you're looking for something for just making a few simple edits in a single track recording, Adobe Audition might be overkill for you and could seem very overwhelming.
Michael Whatley | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 09, 2020

Audio Production Made Accessible to Anyone

In the learning and development space, there is a consistent need to develop content in a way that uses many different formats including rich multimedia such as audio, video, and interactivity. Adobe Audition makes the audio development process much easier. From removing background noise, to amplifying volume, improving the EQ ratios, or enhancing various other elements, Adobe Audition gives users the ability to create perfect sounding audio in nearly every case. It's as they say - garbage in, garbage out, so there are certain limitations of the software. However, Adobe Audition has powerful default tools and settings that make cleaning up audio much easier, especially for novice users.
  • Audition does a great job of identifying and isolating background noise.
  • Audition does a great job of providing tools and elements to clean audio.
  • For novice users, it is difficult to navigate the interface at first without assistance.
  • Some of the terminology can be confusing in the beginning.
Adobe Audition is well suited for detailed audio production and manipulation. There are many options, tools, and effects that can be easily added within Audition that are missing from other programs such as Audacity. With Audacity, you get a very straight-forward interface with limited options and capabilities. It's great for beginners to learn the process of audio production. Once you master Audacity, then it becomes much easier to work with Adobe Audition. The range of options within Audition far outmeasure those in Audacity and provide for a much cleaner output.
Read Michael Whatley's full review
Jonathan Cantu | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2019

Adobe Audition: A Sound Purchase

Adobe Audition is being used alongside our in-house media production. We have several instances where we've created a video using interviews and on-site footage. We, on several occasions, make sure that our audio quality is just as good, if not better, then the video captures. Video without proper audio is unusable.
  • Audio equalization.
  • Fine-tuning audio peaks and extracting unwanted frequencies.
  • Bringing audio to production-level quality.
  • Easier usability and integration with other Adobe products (Adobe Premiere).
We use it for fine-tuning audio in most regards--especially if the audio quality is poor. I wouldn't necessarily take audio outside of Adobe Premiere or other video editing software unless it needs serious treatment in quality. But when it is needed it most definitely delivers. One example we have was an interview that had a constant humming sound (possibly electronic interference). In order to remove this very distracting sound, we isolated the frequency in Adobe Audition and removed it entirely. There aren't many programs that can do that.
Read Jonathan Cantu's full review
Lochan Kalicharan | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 05, 2019

Excellent audio solution!

Adobe Audition is used by the organization to create, edit and convert audio files used for our various media outlets. Videos are produced for youtube, Instagram and other mobile social media outlets but the audio is edited in Audition before finalizing any of the media that will be published. This solves the issue of having audio that is not quite up to scratch and allowing us to fix it on the fly.
  • Edit and convert audio files between various formats.
  • Remove anomalies in the soundtrack.
  • Arrange a soundtrack where multiple layers are needed.
  • Customer support can be difficult to reach at times.
  • Updates are less frequent than I expected but most issues are non-urgent.
  • The interface is a little complicated.
Adobe Audition is perfect for converting audio between formats especially if your project requires a specific or obscure format. Files that need to be digitally cleaned of noise are also perfect candidates for the audition treatment. My staff has also used it to create and shorten audio files to overlay on video files in Premiere.
Read Lochan Kalicharan's full review
Nathan Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 11, 2019

Audition is Music to My Ears

Before Audition, I used a Sony-made software application for editing audio recordings. This was a good solution, but once I purchased an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, I switched to Audition. I mainly use Audition to edit recordings of our board meetings and events. It is very easy to use and offers plenty of features and functionality. Since I can edit the recordings in-house, I don't have to send them out and pay someone else to do it. As I've gotten more comfortable with the product, I've found more and more ways for it to be useful beyond simply editing for length and applying fades at the end of sessions. For instance, I've learned how to boost the volume of individual speakers in places where their voice may have been obscured (such as the speaker being too far from the mic) and how to reduce or eliminate unwanted sounds in a recording. You can create shortcuts to apply custom settings or choose from the many already available. Audition offers incredible support for output formats, too. And when it comes to help, Adobe has ample documentation for this product, which I've successfully used to accomplish advanced editing of my tracks.
  • Has dozens of shortcuts available right out of the box so the most common tools are already available.
  • Has both a waveform editor and a multitrack editor, making it easy to edit either an individual channel or the entire clip at once, depending on your needs.
  • While it has an amazing range of tools and effects, they are well organized in the menus so they are at once easy to find and not overwhelming.
  • You can edit right on the timeline, zooming in and out to make finding clips easy. You can also place markers for important sections.
  • Audio clips can be matched to video inside Audition or you can work with audio already attached to a video. Audition makes matching audio to video extremely easy, showing the corresponding video in a panel as you adjust audio on the timeline.
  • Audition is serious app that will require time to master. While Adobe has done an excellent job of making it approachable, there is a considerable learning curve to unlocking its best features. Knowing that, going in should ease user frustration.
  • There hasn't been anything I've wanted to accomplish with my audio files that Audition has not permitted.
If all you want to accomplish is shortening a track, Audition is overkill. There are likely more approachable products for basic sound editing. If you already have the Adobe Creative Suite, however, or have a need for a product with a seemingly endless array of tools, features, and effects, Audition is for you. As a plus, it plays well with other Creative Suite apps, such as After Effects. The more I use it, the more I fall in love with it. While my prior editing solution worked well, you would find me kicking and screaming if you pulled me away from Audition. If you are still unsure, Adobe offers a seven-day trial so you can test it for yourself and see if it meets your needs. I recommend you already have a track in mind you want to edit before you begin the trial, instead of just downloading it to "play." You'll have a much better appreciation of its scope and power with real-world use.
Read Nathan Roberts's full review
Todd Dodge | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 21, 2019

Great for the Professional Musicians and Audio Experts!

We currently use Adobe Audition to cut/crop music tracks for our promotional videos. Other programs lack in cutting audio in the same way Adobe Audition does. I know Audition is a more technical program that allows for far greater work in it, but that's what we use it for in our company.
  • Edit audio
  • Reduce background noise
  • Audio file management
  • Does not have a friendly UI
  • Steep learning curve
  • Not for casual users
Adobe Audition is best suited for say, a band or musician editing their audio tracks and being able to fine-tune very specific elements of each track and sound and anything else captured during the recording process. For our instances, it's a little too complicated for what we use it for, but Adobe Spark or Adobe Rush don't have enough features, so there is no in-between.
Read Todd Dodge's full review
Bryan Crowe | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 01, 2019

Adobe Audition does exactly what it's designed to do!

Audition is primarily used by myself in the company. It helps to create podcasts, as well as altering and correcting problems with audio files. For both audio (wav) in podcasts, and in video production to adjust and correct problems with the video's audio.
  • Really nice editing tools.
  • Lots of flexibility and manipulation tools.
  • I like the extreme things you can do with audio.
  • I really don't have big complaints or suggestions.
It really does a nice job of manipulating audio. I would like to see more presets that get the "ball rolling" in a manner of speaking. A good starting point to alter audio. For example, noise reduction, or pinpointing how to identify noise and remove it.
Read Bryan Crowe's full review
December 20, 2019

Novice user loves using Audition for basic audio clean up and adjustments.

While I mostly use FCPX for my editing (save for visual FX, where I use Adobe AF), Audition has been a great go-to software for more technical audio editing. FCPX has fairly robust options for audio editing but it doesn't have nearly the capabilities and feature set Audition does.
  • Audio cleanup.
  • Audio EQ.
  • Probably just me (as more of a beginner) but I haven't found an easy way to adjust an effect after it's been applied to a project.
  • GUI, as with all adobe products, is a bit user UNfriendly. Takes getting used to.
I especially like using Adobe for more complicated EQ or audio cleanup. Some of the videos we produce are shot on a webcam and the audio can be...well...less than premium. And the cleanup in FCPX isn't quite enough to get it to a very presentable state. I also like to use it for more robust EQing of a file for certain use cases.
December 04, 2019

If you need and excellent audio authoring tool Adobe Audition is for you

In our organization, we use Adobe Audition as part of Creative Cloud to edit, mix, and do post-production on audio files used on multiple videos we produce in house for global distribution. Tasks such as these would be not impossible but extremely hard to do without a tool as complete as Audition.
  • Audio clean-up.
  • Multi-track sessions mix.
  • Complete presets help tremendously and save lots of time.
  • Not cheap.
  • Definitely not easy for beginners.
  • The user interface can be quite busy and intimidating.
Adobe Audition is very well suited not just for audio engineers, but anyone on the audio/video production business with a complete set of tools is required for creating, repair and remix sound files to later integrate with video projects. Also great for those looking to create valued audio content such as podcasts, etc.
Joshua Hipp | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 24, 2019

Adobe Audition -- The Audio Editor's Best Friend

Adobe Audition is being used across a couple of departments in our organization. The Production Department is the main use of the software, while our Programming Department uses it regularly as well. Our Production Department at iHeart Media produces client spots and must turn things around quickly in most cases, which is one of Audition's strong suits. Programming produces sweepers and jingles for our radio stations that make use of Audition's multitrack editing. I assist both of these departments and use Audition on a weekly basis. It's the best tool for Audio production and editing that I've ever come across.
  • Multitrack: this is a huge feature for producing content for radio or anything else with multiple audio layers.
  • Handles multiple formats: Audition can import and export multiple formats, making very versatile for any audio scenario.
  • Audio editing: Audition has some great presets for EQ, reverb, and other important audio editing features that make applying effects quick and easy.
  • More presets: Audition has a pretty solid library of sound effect presets, but could stand to add more to increase the ability and efficiency of the software.
  • Help guide: it would be great, especially for newer users, if Audition implemented a help guide that could walk you through how to accomplish certain tasks.
  • User interface: Audition could benefit from having more customization options to adapt to specific user preferences.
Adobe Audition is the must-have software for audio producers and creators of any kind. Whether it be radio, film, podcasting, or any other application where audio editing or production is needed, Adobe Audition has features and abilities that make it extremely efficient. Producing a radio drama, editing a podcast or syncing and editing Audio for film are amazing abilities of the software, and that's just scratching the surface.
Read Joshua Hipp's full review
Richard Jellison | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 20, 2019

Passing the Audition for my audio editor of choice

Adobe Audition is used amongst our operations team to edit the audio for podcasts, webinars, audio projects, and the like.
  • Intuitive
  • Lots of effects
  • Loading times
When you need to edit an audio project using a single or multitrack system, Audition should be your first (and last) program of choice.
Read Richard Jellison's full review
June 20, 2019

Adobe Audition- A great addition to your Adobe Suite

We use Adobe Audition to edit audio for webcasts that are simulated live or on-demand. We also use Audition to record and edit audio for podcasts and webcasts as well as webinars that have not gone live yet, or are missing bits of audio. It is used primarily by my department to make the above edits. It will often address issues such as mistakes or additional audio said in a webcast or podcast, as well as allow those who cannot be live all at once to record their pieces without having to sign in to any software or connect to the internet at all.
  • Integration with the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily its compatibility with Premiere Pro
  • Full visibility of the entire audio file(s) and how they are edits
  • Large Variety of plug-ins
  • Adaptive Recording inputs
  • Essential sound and categorizing audio in multi-track mode
  • Not saving an additional copy when dragging in audio
  • Inability to revert changes when editing a waveform after save and close
  • Opening 12 tracks automatically when opening multi-track
  • No group selection tool, must always use shortcuts which differ from Premiere
Audition is well suited for smaller scale audio projects, and for projects that need significant integration with Premiere. It is fantastic at recording audio, and has quite a few useful plug-ins that can really benefit the end user. Where it lacks is for larger scale projects, and for projects where a significant amount of reversions are made. You need to ensure that you always have a backup because Audition will overwrite your original files with the revisions you make. I find that it also doesn't have the capabilities to support larger-scale projects such as a full band recording with live plug-ins. For video/audio podcasts, YouTube videos, quick audio fixes, it is fantastic and can be very intuitive.

About Audition

Adobe offers Audition as part of the Creative Cloud suite, a sound and audio editing and creation application.