Audition Reviews

Do you work for this company?

Lochan Kalicharan profile photo
November 05, 2019

Excellent audio solution!

Adobe Audition is used by the organization to create, edit and convert audio files used for our various media outlets. Videos are produced for youtube, Instagram and other mobile social media outlets but the audio is edited in Audition before finalizing any of the media that will be published. This solves the issue of having audio that is not quite up to scratch and allowing us to fix it on the fly.
  • Edit and convert audio files between various formats.
  • Remove anomalies in the soundtrack.
  • Arrange a soundtrack where multiple layers are needed.
  • Customer support can be difficult to reach at times.
  • Updates are less frequent than I expected but most issues are non-urgent.
  • The interface is a little complicated.
Adobe Audition is perfect for converting audio between formats especially if your project requires a specific or obscure format. Files that need to be digitally cleaned of noise are also perfect candidates for the audition treatment. My staff has also used it to create and shorten audio files to overlay on video files in Premiere.
Read Lochan Kalicharan's full review
Nathan Roberts profile photo
Before Audition, I used a Sony-made software application for editing audio recordings. This was a good solution, but once I purchased an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, I switched to Audition. I mainly use Audition to edit recordings of our board meetings and events. It is very easy to use and offers plenty of features and functionality. Since I can edit the recordings in-house, I don't have to send them out and pay someone else to do it. As I've gotten more comfortable with the product, I've found more and more ways for it to be useful beyond simply editing for length and applying fades at the end of sessions. For instance, I've learned how to boost the volume of individual speakers in places where their voice may have been obscured (such as the speaker being too far from the mic) and how to reduce or eliminate unwanted sounds in a recording. You can create shortcuts to apply custom settings or choose from the many already available. Audition offers incredible support for output formats, too. And when it comes to help, Adobe has ample documentation for this product, which I've successfully used to accomplish advanced editing of my tracks.
  • Has dozens of shortcuts available right out of the box so the most common tools are already available.
  • Has both a waveform editor and a multitrack editor, making it easy to edit either an individual channel or the entire clip at once, depending on your needs.
  • While it has an amazing range of tools and effects, they are well organized in the menus so they are at once easy to find and not overwhelming.
  • You can edit right on the timeline, zooming in and out to make finding clips easy. You can also place markers for important sections.
  • Audio clips can be matched to video inside Audition or you can work with audio already attached to a video. Audition makes matching audio to video extremely easy, showing the corresponding video in a panel as you adjust audio on the timeline.
  • Audition is serious app that will require time to master. While Adobe has done an excellent job of making it approachable, there is a considerable learning curve to unlocking its best features. Knowing that, going in should ease user frustration.
  • There hasn't been anything I've wanted to accomplish with my audio files that Audition has not permitted.
If all you want to accomplish is shortening a track, Audition is overkill. There are likely more approachable products for basic sound editing. If you already have the Adobe Creative Suite, however, or have a need for a product with a seemingly endless array of tools, features, and effects, Audition is for you. As a plus, it plays well with other Creative Suite apps, such as After Effects. The more I use it, the more I fall in love with it. While my prior editing solution worked well, you would find me kicking and screaming if you pulled me away from Audition. If you are still unsure, Adobe offers a seven-day trial so you can test it for yourself and see if it meets your needs. I recommend you already have a track in mind you want to edit before you begin the trial, instead of just downloading it to "play." You'll have a much better appreciation of its scope and power with real-world use.
Read Nathan Roberts's full review
Todd Dodge profile photo
We currently use Adobe Audition to cut/crop music tracks for our promotional videos. Other programs lack in cutting audio in the same way Adobe Audition does. I know Audition is a more technical program that allows for far greater work in it, but that's what we use it for in our company.
  • Edit audio
  • Reduce background noise
  • Audio file management
  • Does not have a friendly UI
  • Steep learning curve
  • Not for casual users
Adobe Audition is best suited for say, a band or musician editing their audio tracks and being able to fine-tune very specific elements of each track and sound and anything else captured during the recording process. For our instances, it's a little too complicated for what we use it for, but Adobe Spark or Adobe Rush don't have enough features, so there is no in-between.
Read Todd Dodge's full review
Bryan Crowe profile photo
Audition is primarily used by myself in the company. It helps to create podcasts, as well as altering and correcting problems with audio files. For both audio (wav) in podcasts, and in video production to adjust and correct problems with the video's audio.
  • Really nice editing tools.
  • Lots of flexibility and manipulation tools.
  • I like the extreme things you can do with audio.
  • I really don't have big complaints or suggestions.
It really does a nice job of manipulating audio. I would like to see more presets that get the "ball rolling" in a manner of speaking. A good starting point to alter audio. For example, noise reduction, or pinpointing how to identify noise and remove it.
Read Bryan Crowe's full review
Richard Jellison profile photo
Adobe Audition is used amongst our operations team to edit the audio for podcasts, webinars, audio projects, and the like.
  • Intuitive
  • Lots of effects
  • Loading times
When you need to edit an audio project using a single or multitrack system, Audition should be your first (and last) program of choice.
Read Richard Jellison's full review
We use Adobe Audition to edit audio for webcasts that are simulated live or on-demand. We also use Audition to record and edit audio for podcasts and webcasts as well as webinars that have not gone live yet, or are missing bits of audio. It is used primarily by my department to make the above edits. It will often address issues such as mistakes or additional audio said in a webcast or podcast, as well as allow those who cannot be live all at once to record their pieces without having to sign in to any software or connect to the internet at all.
  • Integration with the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily its compatibility with Premiere Pro
  • Full visibility of the entire audio file(s) and how they are edits
  • Large Variety of plug-ins
  • Adaptive Recording inputs
  • Essential sound and categorizing audio in multi-track mode
  • Not saving an additional copy when dragging in audio
  • Inability to revert changes when editing a waveform after save and close
  • Opening 12 tracks automatically when opening multi-track
  • No group selection tool, must always use shortcuts which differ from Premiere
Audition is well suited for smaller scale audio projects, and for projects that need significant integration with Premiere. It is fantastic at recording audio, and has quite a few useful plug-ins that can really benefit the end user. Where it lacks is for larger scale projects, and for projects where a significant amount of reversions are made. You need to ensure that you always have a backup because Audition will overwrite your original files with the revisions you make. I find that it also doesn't have the capabilities to support larger-scale projects such as a full band recording with live plug-ins. For video/audio podcasts, YouTube videos, quick audio fixes, it is fantastic and can be very intuitive.
Joshua Hipp profile photo
Adobe Audition is being used across a couple of departments in our organization. The Production Department is the main use of the software, while our Programming Department uses it regularly as well. Our Production Department at iHeart Media produces client spots and must turn things around quickly in most cases, which is one of Audition's strong suits. Programming produces sweepers and jingles for our radio stations that make use of Audition's multitrack editing. I assist both of these departments and use Audition on a weekly basis. It's the best tool for Audio production and editing that I've ever come across.
  • Multitrack: this is a huge feature for producing content for radio or anything else with multiple audio layers.
  • Handles multiple formats: Audition can import and export multiple formats, making very versatile for any audio scenario.
  • Audio editing: Audition has some great presets for EQ, reverb, and other important audio editing features that make applying effects quick and easy.
  • More presets: Audition has a pretty solid library of sound effect presets, but could stand to add more to increase the ability and efficiency of the software.
  • Help guide: it would be great, especially for newer users, if Audition implemented a help guide that could walk you through how to accomplish certain tasks.
  • User interface: Audition could benefit from having more customization options to adapt to specific user preferences.
Adobe Audition is the must-have software for audio producers and creators of any kind. Whether it be radio, film, podcasting, or any other application where audio editing or production is needed, Adobe Audition has features and abilities that make it extremely efficient. Producing a radio drama, editing a podcast or syncing and editing Audio for film are amazing abilities of the software, and that's just scratching the surface.
Read Joshua Hipp's full review

About Audition

Adobe offers Audition as part of the Creative Cloud suite, a sound and audio editing and creation application.