Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

Ratings and Reviews

June 04, 2021

Good, but not great

We are using Adobe Captivate to develop virtual training for end users.
  • It's interactive
  • It is more engaging than PowerPoint
  • Closed captions need more improvement. One specific issue is that they react significantly to unseen formatting from Microsoft and make it hard to edit/change them without having to take an additional step to paste all text into notepad to clear formatting first. It's way too laborious.
  • I wish copying variables and formatting was easier when I'm creating an interactive "click on these buttons" type of experience. I feel like I have to recreate it every time.
  • When playing back the videos there is a lot of quirks that are causing issues for the end user experience; formatted items aren't appearing on the screen, timing is delayed...I don't understand why or how those things happen, but when I completely delete and redo them, then it works. It's delayed the rollout of this training by 2 months already.
I think there's just way too much clunkiness about Adobe Captivate. It took me about 3 months to get used to its quirks.
Bernard Gale | TrustRadius Reviewer
We originally selected Captivate to develop e-learning courses for our customers. We were very pleased with the original product although it was never as good as the original product Adobe bought to build on, Authorware. However, it became apparent Adobe were slow to develop the product. It fell behind other e-learning products in the marketplace.
We came back to Captivate after a customer had been using it and asked for help. We were pleased to see some improvements and again started to use it but the product is still full of out-of-date code, an attempt by Adobe to keep flash users.
It does include some AR and VR options but nothing compared to other products in the excellent Adobe range. So we are now being forced to move away again from Captivate.
  • Easy to use for a basic user and you can quickly produce a reasonable course.
  • Tight integration with LMS systems.
  • Good working examples to develop.
  • A good user base if a bit long in the tooth!!
  • Little coding options (yes you can use some Java script but it needs to be adapted.
  • Poor cross-platform integration with other Adobe products.
  • Poor slow develop cycle.
  • Can be buggy and cause Windows errors.
Good for users with limited needs. It's simple to take a model course, make changes and have something working in 0.5 hour. Simple to get started, very short learning curve.

Not good if you seek to do much with VR or AR and sadly lacks integration with other Adobe products.
We looked at many options for e-learning content creation with an important criteria being the ability to work with existing software and LMS delivery systems. Captivate also offered interactive features for user interactions and the ability to stream video. We appreciate the ability to same the same course design to export to older systems as SCORM files and to new web delivery as HTML5 files.
  • Ability to save for multiple LMS platforms such as Moodle, SCORM and HTML5.
  • Easily streams videos from external hosts or internal servers.
  • Offers interactive features and branching options to engage user participation.
  • Available templates and icons are available to streamline design.
  • Tests work better and are better integrated when created outside of Captivate using other LMS software.
  • Difficult to share without publishing for others to review or preview.
Works well to easily create interactive content with video and audio. Publishes as a final unit ready to integrate into different LMS systems. The ability to create user profiles, grading, etc. requires the use of an additional LMS, not a stand-alone solution.
As a commercial cleaning provider, my organization has a need to train a remote workforce to ensure excellent cleaning standards and compliance with all health and safety and environmental legislation. While we have a training academy at our head office we wanted employees to be able to train at their convenience and needed to roll out emergency training on enhanced cleaning during a pandemic. Adobe Captivate allowed us to create engaging, interactive training videos that have been extremely well received by clients and cleaners alike.
  • Interactivity
  • Overlaying and recording audio narration.
  • Importing content from PowerPoint.
  • Compatibility with systems outside Adobe.
Well suited to training with voiceovers and self-running training. Not sure it would be as good for instructor-led.
Personal use only. For my testing uses, I use it to see how the courses I design fit the requirements of different platforms, and when they are uploaded, we try to test run them to see how they work. We also troubleshoot the courses and want to see if they are compliant.
  • Great UX
  • Easy Use
  • Great Menu
  • User experience
  • More instructional courses
  • More training on specific qualities
It is a great platform when you have a small group of learners and you want to develop a course for this small group of learners and do not want to spend a high price tag for a full LMS with shaky features that work sometimes and do not work other times.
Michael Whatley | TrustRadius Reviewer
We needed a way to rapidly create learning content in a format that was both engaging and entertaining. We wanted a solution that could allow for quick updates as things changed as well as a solution that could be used on a myriad of devices since our sales team was spread nationwide. We tested Captivate along with Articulate Storyline with a group of our designers and tested prototypes with some of our sales team members. We mostly used distance learning solutions for static content that wouldn't change as frequently as some other information.
  • Captivate is great for branching scenarios and detailed eLearning content.
  • Captivate is in-depth in the availability of options for interactivity, interaction, and responsiveness.
  • Captivate has a strong reporting capability that allows for tracking within an LMS.
  • Captivate has a steeper learning curve than other solutions on the market.
  • Captivate takes time to ensure interactions a built correctly and will function adequately in a published environment.
  • Captivate does not have as intuitive of an interface as other solutions.
Captivate is well suited for technical scenario activities. For example, software simulations where demonstration, practice, and assessment are necessary. Captivate does a very good job of creating simulation type activities compared to other solutions. Captivate also does very well with scoring on assessments. Whether you use clicks or questions to score, Captivate has a great ability to score both types. It is less suited for rapid eLearning development. If your company is looking for a solution to build more traditional eLearning such as click-through presentations with some interactivity and the ability to include multimedia elements, then another solution may be more appropriate. Captivate is a great tool for more advanced developers.
It is difficult to get in touch with Adobe Captivate support. With a seemingly limited number of resources, mostly outsourced, getting in contact with someone to help troubleshoot an issue is challenging. Typically wait times are long, and the desired path to resolution is to use an existing knowledge base or a self-help guide. It is certainly not a user-friendly experience.
Within our organization, we used Adobe Captivate to create eLearning modules as well as a sort of video and animation system. In the latter case, we essentially took pre-recorded video clips and used Captivate to put all of the clips together. We would then use the program to create animations that would play in between the actual pre-recorded video.

This program was only used by the training department within our organization, and allowed us to use one program (rather than a suite of programs) to meet both our eLearning and video creation needs. Captivate itself is so versatile, though, that we could have expanded its use to a host of other functions if the need arose.
  • Adobe Captivate has perhaps the largest array of functionality and the greatest versatility. It will allow you to create everything from standard card-based eLearning modules all the way to virtual reality lessons. It's really impressive in that regard.
  • Adobe Captivate functions like many of the other tools in the Adobe Creative Suite. By that I mean that the hotkeys, layer-based interface, and overall asset-selection process is the same. If you already like and use parts of the Adobe creative suite then this will tool will feel familiar.
  • While it is hands-down the most robust eLearning program on the market, it doesn't always look like it. The UI feels a little early-2000s, especially when compared to major competitors like Articulate. This is a minor issue for the most part, though.
  • If you haven't used Adobe products before, and I mean really used them, then this program can feel a little bit overwhelming. To have it function appropriately you will need to not only understand layers and timelines, but also some of the peculiar Adobe only terms like object, keyframe, tween, etc. Also, as with all Adobe products, there are some small issues and work-arounds that you will have to get comfortable with. (For example - being able to only layer in one line of audio seems like a deal breaker until you realize you can attach audio to each individual object.)
When you need to create big, unique eLearning projects Captivate is definitely the way to go. Captivate is also perfect if you are part of a smaller team that is asked to develop a variety of different eLearning materials as it provides more versatility and functionality than any other. Indeed, it will let you replace various other video creation tools, and consolidate them all in one place.

If your team only does one kind of eLearning (i.e. - card based eLearning) or if you have incredibly aggressive timelines that require extremely rapid development than you might be better served by a less feature-rich, but more agile, alternative. Also, if you have no Adobe experience but are needing to hit the ground running with content development, than another design program might be more appropriate.
I used Captivate at two different positions. The first company that I worked with was one of the largest companies in the world. When I had issues with the program at that time I felt like the Captivate support team was responsive and eager to help. After I transitioned to a smaller company, I have had a few more problems getting responses and having the team at Adobe make time for us. In general, this has been across their products including when we were looking at adopting their LMS. While this is to be expected, all companies have to prioritize based on account size, it did cause some frustrations on a few occasions.
Adobe Captivate was the first-course builder that Molina healthcare had, multiple business segments were using it for their training needs. It was being used when instructional design, especially when the instructional design was created as a methodology it was used company-wide for all business segments for all training to go online.
  • Has built in animations and characters
  • Has lots of presets
  • It's very outdated; everything about it is outdated
  • No support from adobe due to how dated it is
Organizations aren't using this anymore, there are some older, maybe smaller businesses that are still using it, but this product is not suited for any workplace environment. At this point, you are better off using an LMS that has a course builder in it or utilizing something like the Articulate Storyline. Adobe Captivate is just a dated program.
Only small size to medium size organizations that started out with this still use it, it's no longer supported, and it's just a dated system. I gave it a five because it's not worthless, but it is obsolete, one is better off either getting Storyline or purchasing an LMS with a built-in authoring tool.
Robert Nunez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Adobe Captivate is being used by the Training Department for e-learning training purposes. This is currently used by both our safety training department and HR training department. Currently, we are focusing our e-learning efforts on yearly renewals for our safety team. This year, we will concentrate on adding more e-learning content to complement our ILT for a more blended approach.
  • Great amount of control.
  • Excellent image resolution for beautiful e-learning content.
  • The review button after the assessment is taken puts you in an infinite loop and Adobe has known this and will not do anything about. It doesn't work.
  • The UI is still in the 1990s. This is 2020.
In a corporate setting, having an interactive e-learning module is imperative and this is Adobe Captivate's greatest strength. The interaction is highly conducive to knowledge retention, which makes Captivate a great tool.
If you need to create something quickly, you will need a rapid development tool. Captivate is not for quick development. Since I am the training manager at a construction company, I will use what we say all the time, use the right tool for the right job. Captivate is not built for that rapid development.
They are responsive and for that, I give Adobe a 9. In resolving issues, I give them a 3. There is an unresolved issue with the VR feature on Captivate and they cannot figure out what is wrong. They followed up, they called me and arranged for us to discuss the problem. They did not know what I was talking about and I had to show them a training session from THEIR trainer to show them what was not working. This remains unresolved.
December 20, 2019

Adobe Captivate is GREAT!

Rachel Neill | TrustRadius Reviewer
[It's a] Great tool we use for templates and guidance when looking to complete professional level projects. This tool has lots of options that in traditional Adobe fashion, are pretty user-friendly and robust. I enjoy that it ties in nicely to the other Adobe suite of products. We use it across several teams.
  • Interoperable with other Adobe products
  • Need to be familiar with Adobe
  • Learning tools could update more frequently
Great for creating training tools for staff or clients. We use it both internally and externally to create easy learning tools on complex topics. It makes sharing workflows and e-learning accessible to everyone at any level. Easy to use. Need to create a company wide training program? THis tool would be great for that.
Great customer experience, Adobe has tons of help options from chat to call to email. They also are a large enough company that you can google some of your help desk questions to find support on other forums.
Nicolas Hanhan | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Adobe Captive at my college for several years now. I use the software to create E learning tutorials and videos for several classes. Several professors and staff have been using Adobe Captivate across the college. I think Adobe Captivate has helped us in creating new learning materials in an efficient and timely manner.
  • Excellent interaction with other software, can import items created in other software such as images, audio and video easily.
  • A user-friendly interface but takes a little time to learn.
  • We currently have a separate license for Adobe Captivate. I hope that Adobe would consider including it in the Adobe Cloud package that is currently offered.
  • Users may need to invest some time in learning many features of this software. I have been using it for a while and I think there are still things to learn especially with every new version that is updated.
Adobe Captivate is suitable for creating several lessons, where in each lesson there is a video that includes a conversation between several people explaining the the specific lesson. The Captivate file will include several pages, each page will have audio, video and images when needed.
Adobe has a large knowledgeable online community and provides a professional customer service support when contacted.
Brian Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
Captivate is used to produce interactive e-learning content for our LMS (Cornerstone OnDemand). This allows us to provide website walkthroughs, engaging lessons with quizzes, and 360/vr experiences.
  • Complex lessons
  • Interactivity
  • Cutting edge experiences
  • More complicated than other programs.
  • Not as integrated with the Creative Cloud as other Adobe programs.
If the user is technologically skilled and the problem requires tracking, quizzes, and complex thinking.
Most support is community lead, however, Adobe encourages and rewards the community.
We used Adobe Captivate to build online training for our organization. It helped us get training to employees all across the United States, and made it easy for us to publisher file that we could upload into our LMS. It was only used within our field; however, the training that was developed within the software was used across the organization and the US.
  • Builds e-learnings
  • It has some outstanding interactions that can go along with training and make it more engaging.
  • The software is not easy to use for a beginner.
  • The practice test and try scenarios could be easier to edit.
Adobe Captivate is well-suited for an experienced instructional designer as it is not overly user-friendly. It is not for those who do not go to school for the instructional design nor learn anything about Adobe Captivate unless your company is as willing to invest in training you for it. It will take an inexperienced person longer to build training.
I only interacted with Adobe Captivate support a couple of times. It seems sufficient but not over the top. Sometimes I had a hard time finding or a hard time understanding the articles that are available to help you with the somewhat complicated software. I found storylines a bit easier to navigate.
I use Adobe Captivate to develop and publish (in SCORM format) E-Learning modules for or team. We create interactive role-play scenarios with combinations of video, text, and pictures. We also use it to craft product demos, review updates to services and products, and to create short refresher courses on various items within our organization.
  • Integrating Video, text, and images
  • Crafting interactive scenarios
  • While easy to use, there are layers of complexity that can be daunting at first
  • Video editing and picture editing within the application are limited (though it integrates nicely with other Adobe products)
Captivate is really nice because it can do just about anything. Other E-Learning tools usually specialize in one aspect of the E-Learning process. Captivate is a one stop shop for the most part and it's cheaper than the competition as well. If you need to create a quick training and push it to your LMS, Adobe works well. If you want to invest the time and create and interactive video or even virtual reality training it can not only do that, but do it well.
When I was choosing our content creation solution, I reached out to Captivate multiple times. They were always helpful, knowledgeable and willing to talk for as long as it takes to figure out a solution. Occasionally, when testing things out (or working on a particular complicated interaction) they've been able to screen share with me and help me find the perfect way to get something working the way I intended it.
Adobe Captivate is being used by the Training and Development team to develop training courses in an elearning format. It's highly effective at getting training courses delivered to our employees in a self-paced format that they can complete whenever is convenient for them.
  • Easy to add animation
  • Easy to import PowerPoint slides
  • It would benefit from an Apply to All Slides feature
  • More animation options would be nice
Adobe Captivate is great for developing courses where PowerPoint slides are already created. It's easy to import slides with animations included in them. Just make sure you work off your local machine and save often in case your computer freezes.
I have rarely had to reach out to the support team, but when I did I felt like they were overall pretty helpful in assisting me with my issue.
Captivate is being used by the Instructional Designers within the Corporate Training department to create employee and client training modules that include interactive assessments Not all training is created using Captivate, but we do focus our assessment-based training development through Captivate because of the features and controls available for development.
  • Action buttons that allow for a table of contents feel while providing the end user an opportunity to jump to the section they are looking to receive specific training on.
  • Publishing in SCORM format.
  • I am not familiar with software programs that use timeline editing that runs from the beginning of the video to the end. Those are more intuitive to me than the “slide” approach of Captivate.
The main reason I and the members of my department use it is for assessment based training. Some of our training modules are designed to measure what was learned rather than as a method to present information. Captivate is good at providing that capability in an easy, straight-forward approach that the end-user can work with.
I haven’t needed to use support yet. The only type of support I have received so far has been training by Adobe evangelists. That part has been excellent.
Our organization is growing rapidly and that requires onboarding of dozens of new employees almost every month. Some of the employees don't come from a medical or bio tech world and need initial training working in a healthcare environment. The provisions are more strict as they need to be HIPAA certified in their dealing with sensitive information. So the onboarding process is hectic and very precise. As an organization we have been looking for some interactive e-learning tools that can be developed for the onboarding process for new employees. My research led me to Adobe Captivate.
  • You don't need programming background to be able to work with Adobe Captivate
  • It's super easy to learn how to use the program
  • The click & drag tools are very user friendly and easy to navigate
  • There could be some popups for helpful tips when users are doing something wrong.
  • There can be added keyboard shortcuts for easier navigations
  • Adobe can invest in some learning tools to help new users. There are many unofficial videos for learning. But no many official ones from Adobe creators
I would highly recommend this for smaller organizations who don't have the scope to hire graphic designers and fully staff teams to develop some learning tools and interactive videos for their new employees. I love how the Powerpoints that every organization creates can be uploaded to Adobe Captivate directly and all the data is transferred seamlessly to create the interactive e-learning videos perfect for new employees to get a sense of the organization. Our org has used it to introduce new software applications to new users in the team too. A full walkthrough of the application is created for team members to familiarize themselves with.
I'm on the cusp about this as I haven't really had the chance to use the support. We are sort of new at using this in our organization and most of the preliminary stuff, we have used YouTube videos and blogposts on the web to find common answers. So I'll update this once we have used it.
Creating projects and training modules in Adobe Captivate is only used by the ITS and training departments, but the actual projects and trainings themselves are used across our entire organization. Captivate addresses the issues of providing interactive, interesting, and distinct trainings that are unique to our company and our brand, and are customizable at any time as we feel the need to update them.
  • Captivate projects can be easy or highly complex, depending on what the creator wants. This is good because all skill levels of Adobe users can use the software.
  • Captivate offers many types of premade templates and images that really help the project creator do complex training very easily.
  • Captivate projects can be converted from already made powerpoints which is a huge benefit since many companies already have training material in PowerPoint form.
  • I often find that the settings to track the completion of the training do not function well when uploaded to our hosting platform, Skillport.
  • Captivate does not allow much in terms of functionality with screen readers, so visually impaired users will have a tough time with any projects that are not very simple (e.g. text and static images only with descriptions).
  • The interface can be confusing to use at first, but if you are familiar with Adobe (Such as Photoshop or Lightroom), you will not have any trouble and pick it up quickly.
Captivate is well suited to interactive, complex training projects with quizzes and lots of videos and variety. The sheer scope of what you can create is enormous, and you can really create interesting and fun projects. It's less appropriate for very simple training content since it does have so many creative options on the interface. I would think it could be slightly intimidating for someone just looking to create very simple text-based training.
I give it this rating since I never had an issue with getting support for problems that I am having when using the software. Adobe prides itself in great support for its products, and the support for Captivate is no different. Adobe will help with any issues that arise, and the premade help index is quite large in itself.
Pam Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
Adobe Captivate provides the ability to create interactive training courses or videos. It is a faster and easier way to combine assets. You can also upgrade to include additional templates, pictures, and fonts beyond what is included. One of the unique features of Adobe Captivate is the green screen feature where you can put in your own background.
  • Quickly adding in graphics, text, and interactive buttons.
  • Has extensive variables and branching for additional customization, beyond the competition.
  • Has 360 degree capability which competitors don't offer (I have not used this feature).
  • High degree of customization and personalization.
  • True responsive screen display on all devices, viewable as you are creating the training. This is different than some competitors - some just shrink the screen, but Adobe Captivate allows actually removing or moving or changing items at different screen sizes.
  • If you like Flash, it has Flash output, although it's going away in 2020. Personally, I think this is an outdated technology.
  • Many advanced capabilities. I chose this product due to the capabilities.
  • Comes with assets, templates, people, head shots, and full body—excellent.
  • Adobe Captivate is the authoring tool. It integrates with Adobe Captivate Prime - which I highly recommend if you want to truly take advantage of all of its features in reporting, administration, compliance, and social learning. (I didn't use Prime because you essentially need 100+ students to affordably use Prime.) If you look at my chart of what Captivate is capable of, I can't say that Captivate has a lot of the reporting features because they are part of Prime/SCORM, although, with Captivate's customization, you might be able to do most of them if you are up to it, but I did not.
  • Due to its extensive capabilities it is not as easy to use as the competitors. Although, I really like it.
  • It has Flash and HTML5. Some features work in one and not the other. I am really looking forward to 2020 when they remove the Flash capabilities and it is all HTML5 and Javascript.
  • As in all the competitors I looked at, I was not able to see the HTML5/Javascript details to the point of being able to modify it.
  • The manual is poor. However, there is an excellent book called Mastering Adobe Captivate by Pooja, who works for Adobe. And I highly recommend the Adobe Captivate Specialist training.
  • Basically, there are issues, as with any software, but you can get around them.
  • It comes with people—head shots or full body, but there is no way to bring in the whole person and all the poses, you have to download each separately.
  • It comes with templates but it was unclear to me if they were for HTML5 or Flash. (although it might just be me)
  • There was no way I found to obtain the individual answers to quizzes/surveys from a user to use elsewhere. The only solution was to use a SCORM compliant server (and hope you choose one that can integrate sufficiently to obtain this info. I found it too difficult or costly. Wish they had an easier way to grab this info from Captivate.)
It is well suited for developing training for the web using HTML5 or Flash, especially if you want to use responsive or advanced features and capabilities. Highly recommended if you want customization, branching, variables, green screen, 360 degrees, and other advanced features. Integrates with SCORM, xAPI, etc. Other competitors are easier and more intuitive but less powerful. If you want the easiest no-frills development that is as fast to develop as possible, then look at competitors.
Rachael Ossovicki | TrustRadius Reviewer
We needed an LMS at our organization. We are a heavily regulated industry and we often have to train employees on protocols. Adobe Captive is a great LMS tool to implement throughout our organization. It's intuitive and allows us to train everyone at their own pace. It integrates well with PPT which makes it easier to create videos. The check on learning feature allows us to know they were listening and paying attention and not just saying they completed it.
  • Ease of use.
  • Easy implementation.
  • Self-paced for users.
  • Offer best practices/training for people making videos and classes.
  • Wishlist is for template games for interactions.
  • Takes up a lot of memory.
My recommendation would change based on the organization. If the organization is smaller and requires less training I would not recommend the product as it is costly and for training a bigger organization. If the organization has a large population, spread outside of an HQ, and has a need for an LMS, I would highly recommend Adobe Captive.
Relton McBurrows | TrustRadius Reviewer
My department is responsible for creating and managing training in the hospital. That includes in-class and online training. We use Captivate to create online tutorials and training materials for posting in our learning management system. Captivate is available to a limited number of employees in the hospital by request, but is primarily, if not exclusively, used by three members of our staff including me. We turn to Captivate as a rapid authoring tool for creating compelling and interactive courses.
  • Adobe Captivate is a full-featured authoring tool, offering users a wide range of interactive and educational tools. Adobe Pro applications excel at providing you most of the options that you want and more than you need.
  • Captivate offers live authoring in responsive design. This feature is essential as we look to develop more content for use across mobile devices.
  • Captivate integrates seamlessly with the other Adobe Creative Suite tools that we use. We combine PhotoShop, Acrobat, and Captivate to create some amazing learning tools.
  • Adobe struggles in its customer support. Knowledgeable Captivate support technicians to teach and troubleshoot would elevate this powerful tool.
  • As mobile learning journeys away from Flash, developing strictly in HTML5 is a becoming a must. Captivate has an HTML5 inspector to review your project for potential flash-based issues, but development in HTML5 only is not as intuitive. I waste valuable time and effort making adjustments after the fact.
  • Many of my SMEs (subject mater experts) submit drafts in PowerPoint. Captivate has a PowerPoint import option, but transforms each slide into an image, removing any ability to edit the content after import. The issue alone is enough to drive me to alternate authoring tools. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources to distribute and teach all of our SMEs to use Captivate.
Captivate is a great tool for creating content from scratch intended for use in responsive design. This is one of my go-to tools when this particular scenario exists. Captivate's responsive design option and the wide range of tools make the application an amazing option for mobile design. Despite having a PowerPoint import and conversion option, Captivate is NOT the tool to use when starting with content created in PowerPoint. Slides are imported as a single image, removing animations and any ability to edit the content.
John Fester | TrustRadius Reviewer
We utilize Adobe Captivate to produce training modules for our proprietary system for new customers to learn how to use it. Captivate helps by providing a quick and easy utility that can create amazing videos with no frustration. I love that there are deployment options to host the produced video on different platforms and includes incorporating LMS such as SCORM with a full scoring quiz at the end. Captivate also makes it very easy to address the sounds in the videos and mouse clicks as well as the audio you want the audience to hear.
  • Easy learning curve. Captivate makes it easy for a new user to pick it up and understand where to begin. Adobe, in general, does this very well and Captivate is no exception. When you begin using Captivate, many of the tasks to create a video come naturally as things are laid out in a way that makes sense.
  • Embedding with LMS (Learning Management Systems). Adobe has made it very easy to deploy your produced video to any of the popular LMS's available. Captivate also gives you a very easy way of including a SCORM score for any quizzes that must be passed at the end of the video in order to proceed to the next video.
  • Capturing Audio has never been easier. With Captivate you can easily add voice-over audio that you can record directly inside of Captivate, or import a pre-recorded audio clip. You can import sounds from other sources for effects in the video and Captivate already includes all of the commonly used sounds for mouse-clicks, error sounds, etc.
  • While Captivate does an amazing job at recording movement of mouse and keystrokes on the screen, it would be great to have the ability to capture the same items via a plugin to 3rd party software (Outlook, Firefox, or other Adobe applications). The results would be that while working in another application and realizing that someone might want a quick tutorial on something, rather than launching Captivate, one could use the plugin to quickly capture the screen and mouse movement.
  • Configuring the LMS to have quizzes at the end and have a passing score could use an enhancement. While it works great, it is not the most straight-forward setup there is. One finds themselves searching online for solutions and answers how to accomplish certain setup steps for LMS or SCORM.
  • It would be nice to be able to have the control of Captivate on a 2nd or 3rd monitor that is not being captured, to be able to see more of the real estate of your screen that you are capturing.
Captivate is leading the pack with this software solution. While Adobe has owned it for a few years now, Macromedia had already built an amazing tool. Captivate will provide you solutions for training internal staff as well as customers. It is so much easier to quickly record a short tutorial and send it out to your staff to watch at their own pace, than to host a classroom of people that are all learning at different speeds...the slower bunch taking more time and frustrating the faster bunch. With Captivate, I can create any type of video I want and add music, or background audio, or speech to it along with sound effects. Great solution!
The support team is good in responding and maintaining communication. Sometimes...well...almost always, you will find yourself having to use a 2nd attempt with more details and easier terminology to get the tech to understand the question or situation. These techs should know English 100% and their product 100% to be on a support team for the USA. I do not get the impression this is true.
Greggory Wright, Ph.D. | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently utilizing Captivate for high priority/high impact courses that have multiple interaction elements, narration, and overall theme of the organization. Right now, Training and IT are using Captivate. It helps us to stay on theme with brand as well as provide a consistent look and feel to our materials.
  • Integrates well to LMS via SCORM packages.
  • Able to create template for consistent and compliant branding.
  • Interactive tools are helpful in creating high impact/high interactive courses.
  • I do wish it were natively able to adjust to all mobile devices like other programs.
  • I wish there weren't so much coding type work to make interactions work.
  • It takes up a lot of space, it should be cloud-based.
Captivate is great if you want a consistent look and feel to all of your training and create high impact/high interaction courses. I would also like to say it's recommended for branching and scenario-based courses that allow you to personalize the experience for learners. I like the ability to record video/images, etc. within the program itself.
Susan Knolla | TrustRadius Reviewer
Adobe Captivate was initially used by myself and team to design our in-house eLearning content, however, we quickly shared the tool (and our expertise) across the organization to other companies and teams interested in designing eLearning content. We benchmarked with other providers but found that Captivate was the most user-friendly and aligned product. It was easy to use other design suite items with Captivate and it was a fairly easy product to learn.
  • Easy to use and update
  • Excellent ability to create interactive content e.g. videos/games/imagery
  • Can be published as a interactive file without having Captivate OR a fully functioning LMS which means reaching more learners more easily
  • I don't think it has any room for improvement - it has worked seamlessly for us
Adobe Captivate is exceptional to support the creation of in house eLearning, video creation, more interactive PDF learning where an LMS isn't available. Excellent for in house communications on a variety of topics. Because Captivate is aligned across the full design suite it allows designers to match microlearning, infographics and broader eLearning. We have not found ANY limitations to its capability.
Jonathan Sorrenti | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am using Adobe Captivate to create demos to teach students and faculty how to use different software packages and our college learning management system. This software is being mainly used by our Educational Technology and Information Resource Management departments. These demos allow people to take training and retake/review training on their own time without having to come to a conference or training classroom. They can do it online from their computer or phone anywhere in the where.
  • Easy to use to record your computer
  • Easy to use to include closed captions
  • Easy to use to create interactive activities
  • Easy to use to edit your voice recordings
  • Not as easy to recreate demos for multiple device types. It is possible but you have to keep resizing objects for them to fit on screen.
  • Cost. This is a great program, but it also has a high end price.
Captivate is great for creating demos to teach people how to do things.

Adobe Captivate Scorecard Summary

What is Adobe Captivate?

Adobe Captivate is an elearning authoring and course design tool (or LCMS). It allows users to rapidly author responsive, interactive learning eLearning content, as well as mobile HTML-5 learning content. Users can test courses with the preview LMS feature, and track the performance of learners as they complete quizzes and other tasks. Adobe Captivate includes some prebuilt templates and learning assets, but users also have the option to custom code their own complex learning workflows. Adobe Captivate integrates with SCORM-compliant LMS systems, including Adobe Captivate Prime.

Adobe Captivate Video