https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Ku/G7/JTIAEGFUNF3R.PNGThe ins and outs of Adobe CaptivateAdobe Captivate is used by my organization as the primary e-learning tool for creating engaging clinically relevant content for staff. There are online learning departments that use the software for training and there is also a training group who use the software. Subject Matter Experts are paired with Captivate design experts to create the content.,Software simulations work very well in Adobe Captivate and are easily captured and editable. Outputs a variety of SCORM compliant formats to work with many LMS. HTML5 compliant content can be adjusted to be viewed on a variety of devices.,The quizzing is very lackluster. You cannot review questions without breaking them. Animations are clunky and not as easy to set up as with other software The workflow in Captivate could stand to be improved. There are limited templating options.,9,Captivate has a steep learning curve, it takes a while for users to become proficient. Travel for training has been nearly eliminated when Captivate has been utilized to create the learning modules. SME's are paid more than content developers so it makes sense to have content developers create the content instead of an SME needing to spend the time to get up to speed to use the software or to train in person.,Articulate Storyline,Articulate Storyline, Articulate Studio, Adobe XD, Jabber, Skype for Business, Microsoft Office 2016,26,2,Orientation Software Simulations Assessments Knowledge Checks Surveys,Creating gamified training modules Creating presentations that are more engaging that can be created in powerpoint Creating 'easter eggs' in the modules to drive engagement.,Hoping to branch into 3d goggles with future versions of Captivate,10,No,Product Features Product Usability,If we had to do it all over again, I would advocate for Captivate again, just as I have in the past. The other software suites available do not have the robust screen capture process and editing that Captivate has, which are the primary uses for eLearning Authoring tools in my department at present.,Importing Powerpoint slides Creating Quizzes Embedding videos and customizing how they play etc.,Drag and Drop Scripting creating templates,No,8A Flexible Way to Create eLearning: Adobe CaptivateCaptivate is utilized at my organization to create interactive eLearning courses that are housed within our LMS. It is used extensively in my department and a couple others in the organization to address the need for compelling training.,Versatile Powerful Easy to use,Better support Simplify quiz pool functionality Enhance HTML5 functionality and widgets,8,Allows flexibility in terms of presentation It enhances the experience of the user Combines multiple processes into one package Communicates with our LMS,Camtasia and Articulate Storyline,Saba, Adobe Illustrator CC, Adobe PhotoshopGreat product for training developmentI use Adobe Captivate to create training modules for different users in the company. I use Adobe Captivate to create training modules for different users in the company. Adobe Captivate is used across the entire company. Adobe Captivate makes it easy to create very engaging training modules.,Create engaging training User-friendly Being able to use both audio and video,Better support Better tutorials It could use more complex animations,7,I have been able to save a lot by using Adobe Captivate I have been able to get projects done very quickly, without having to wait for learning and development. Therefore, I have saved time and money,ON24, Camtasia and Articulate StorylineA feature rich product that creates highly interactive training sessionsAdobe Captivate is being used to create digital training sessions. It is used across the organization and with partners. It provides a robust design program that helps us create effective training sessions for both new and returning users. The program has number of pertinent features including the inclusion of multimedia, voice overs, videos of screen interactions, and interactive services.,The program really excels at providing central platform for combining different training technologies such as voice recordings and videos. Adobe Captivate can provide different types of training media including mobile applications and HTML 5 files. The program provides a robust set of interactive and multimedia features that can aid in providing a more effective training session,Adobe Captivate can be a resource hog for lower end systems, especially when working with video clips or voice over recordings. The full license price can be expensive for smaller organizations. The program can be a bit difficult to learn in the beginning.,8,Adobe Captivate has helped us lower training costs without the need for external training. The program allowed us to create in house training without the need for third party collaboration. End users could communicate about training needs and Adobe Captivate made it easy to update current training modules.,JoomlaLMS and WizIQ LMS,JoomlaLMS, LMS Practice Management, Microsoft AccessAdobe Captivate - eLearning authoring toolWe are transforming our training program from completely in-person to a blended learning environment to engage our people better, while saving on the expense of travel. We are spread out over a 300 mile span, making geography a challenge. Adobe Captivate allows us to deliver content on the learner's term, from their own office.,Adobe Captivate can integrate current PowerPoint presentation, and transform them into eLearning curriculum. Publishing an Adobe Captivate project is simple. Adobe Captivate uses built-in interactions to engage the learner, making the content easier to remember.,Adobe Captivate does not allow for great customization overall. For example, you cannot change the default font, causing a lot of wasted time changing the font choice. Creating engaging interactions could be a simpler process. A customizable Quick Access Toolbar would be quite useful.,7,Less travel expense. More access to training courses, more impact on the frontline. Only $29.99 a month, it can be used when necessary, keeping overall cost low.,Articulate 360,Articulate 360, Articulate Storyline,3,,Replacing in class training with eLearning Implementing microlearning for topics of interest Software simulations,Microlearning Software simulation open a lot of options "Board Game" eLearning,Reusable course outlines Further department reach Available for customers,10,No,Price Product Features Product Usability Product Reputation,I do not think that I would change my evaluation process. I utilized the free 30-day trial for both software suites that I was evaluating. I vetted them through our Risk Assessment Team to ensure security is tight. I sought opinions from other users, and read reviews. Being able to try them both helped me make my decision.,10,No,I could not access the Assets tab of Adobe Captivate. I called in for support, they ran through the settings to ensure everything was installed properly. I received frequent email updates and phone calls letting me know what they were doing to find a resolution. I ended up checking with my IT to find the issue was on our end. Adobe made sure everything was working properly, even after it was resolved.,Drag and drop interactions Converting a shape to a button Rollover Caption,State views Timing of buttons Simple settings such as default font,No,8
Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate Reviews

Adobe Captivate
Filter 86 vetted Adobe Captivate reviews and ratings
D Walwyn profile photo
November 12, 2018

User Review: "The ins and outs of Adobe Captivate"

• Software simulations work very well in Adobe Captivate and are easily captured and editable.
  • Outputs a variety of SCORM compliant formats to work with many LMS.
  • HTML5 compliant content can be adjusted to be viewed on a variety of devices.
  • The quizzing is very lackluster. You cannot review questions without breaking them.
  • Animations are clunky and not as easy to set up as with other software
  • The workflow in Captivate could stand to be improved. There are limited templating options.
Captivate is great for creating quick modules providing instructions for various PC based tasks, such as filling in web forms or new features in software, or complete software training. Any sort of computer based training can be done with Captivate. Where the software really falls short is that you need to be a fairly competent computer user to create attractive learning modules.
Read D Walwyn's full review
Mike Marmon, PhD. profile photo
June 29, 2018

Review: "A Flexible Way to Create eLearning: Adobe Captivate"

• Versatile
  • Powerful
  • Better support
  • Simplify quiz pool functionality
  • Enhance HTML5 functionality and widgets
It is very useful to create structured eLearning that is housed within an LMS but can be used outside of those environments as well. It a very powerful tool when used in this manner. When spending the time to think out and design the learning experience in Captivate, our learners have really enjoyed the content.
Read Mike Marmon, PhD.'s full review
Daniel Darabaris, FPC PHR profile photo
June 19, 2018

Adobe Captivate Review: "Great product for training development"

• Create engaging training
  • User-friendly
  • Being able to use both audio and video
  • Better support
  • Better tutorials
  • It could use more complex animations
Adobe Captivate is perfect for quick, simple, straightforward training modules.
Read Daniel Darabaris, FPC PHR's full review
Bruce Emmerling profile photo
November 29, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "A feature rich product that creates highly interactive training sessions"

• The program really excels at providing central platform for combining different training technologies such as voice recordings and videos.
  • Adobe Captivate can provide different types of training media including mobile applications and HTML 5 files.
  • The program provides a robust set of interactive and multimedia features that can aid in providing a more effective training session
  • Adobe Captivate can be a resource hog for lower end systems, especially when working with video clips or voice over recordings.
  • The full license price can be expensive for smaller organizations.
  • The program can be a bit difficult to learn in the beginning.
Adobe Captivate really excels at providing tools to create interactive, electronic learning sessions. We were able to create electronic training modules on how to use a Joomla based CMS system as well as with procedures for handling data forms. It was also helpful for creating short videos with screenshots for help guides. Perhaps the one area where the program might not excel as well would be with paper based instructions or training documents. Adobe Indesign or other programs are much more feature rich for documentation creation.
Read Bruce Emmerling's full review
Tracy Ford profile photo
November 22, 2017

Review: "Adobe Captivate - eLearning authoring tool"

• Adobe Captivate can integrate current PowerPoint presentation, and transform them into eLearning curriculum.
  • Publishing an Adobe Captivate project is simple.
  • Adobe Captivate uses built-in interactions to engage the learner, making the content easier to remember.
  • Adobe Captivate does not allow for great customization overall. For example, you cannot change the default font, causing a lot of wasted time changing the font choice.
  • Creating engaging interactions could be a simpler process.
  • A customizable Quick Access Toolbar would be quite useful.
Adobe Captivate can open up the door to eLearning, but it is not quite as intuitive as I would have liked to see. There is a lot of support for Adobe Captivate, but it must be constantly sought out on specific topics. The integration of Adobe Stock and Assets gives Captivate a strong push.
Read Tracy Ford's full review
Carly Germann profile photo
February 27, 2018

Adobe Captivate Review: "Overview of Captivate"

Our organization uses Adobe Captivate in the RAD (Rapid Authoring Development) team. This team develops storyboards that are written by instructional designers for eLearning courses for our corporate clients. The business problem it addresses is that we need an authoring tool that allows for responsive and mobile design and works on tablets, PCs, mobile devices, etc. Many of our clients own Captivate licenses themselves, so they ask us to develop in Captivate so that they can open them and make edits once we have handed them off if they need to.
  • Adding interactivity: It is possible to create drag and drops, click to reveals that are already formatted, and custom click to reveals. It is fairly intuitive to use to design.
  • Knowledge check questions: there are standard knowledge check questions that you can use, such as multiple choice and multiple answer, drag and drop, matching, etc.
  • Speed of development: it is fairly quick to learn Captivate for most people and once familiar, they can create a course quickly.
  • Screen recording! It is SO good at grabbing screenshots and you can even have it add some of the interactive and instructional elements for you.
  • It is cumbersome to add a custom UI to the course. It is much easier to just use the stock one, but it doesn't always look the best.
  • Adding variables can be confusing and take a long time, and it's very easy to make a little mistake that throws off the whole thing.
  • Some of the stock options are outdated looking.
Captivate is really good for screenshots. If we are making a systems training course and the client doesn't have a preference for authoring tool, we almost always choose Captivate. It is so easy to take the screenshots and add the interactivity in. You can make the mouse move, make voiceover, or make an interactive demo where the user clicks around the screen to get through the training. It's really good.
Read Carly Germann's full review
May 17, 2018

Adobe Captivate Review: "Captivate! It didn't quite Cap-tivate my interest."

Adobe Captivate was a software program that I used in my graduate degree class. This course was designed for students to use Captivate authoring tool for the development of learning content. We were tasked to use the A.D.D.I.E. model and work with an SME on our project and insert/implement all of our work by using Captivate to build the course content/material.
  • Captivate allows the user the ability to create a drag n drop method within your presentation. I was able to successfully incorporate an activity within my course module that would allow the learner the chance to test their knowledge by dragging and dropping items into the correct sections. I found that to be nice and pretty seamless.
  • Captivate allows the user to create and include states and actions. I think this is important because it allows for the creator to make engaging and interactive slides that will hopefully keep the learner motivate and engaged in the material.
  • Captivate has the options of demo and simulation slide presentations. I found these to be useful within the course I was building because it prevented me from having to complete extra steps of using a different video caption software tool then having to upload it into Captivate. This feature was already included within Captivate which made it nice and easy to access and incorporate into my presentation.
  • Captivate can stagnate and is less user-friendly when it comes to adding animations and certain transitions on your presentation.
  • I found that Captivate wasn't always so user-friendly when it came to using the Demo presentation feature. There were times when I'd have to re-record my steps because for some reason it wasn't accepting certain clicks and/or it would capture things I didn't want it to capture.
  • I found myself getting frustrated a lot when using Captivate because some of the things that I was used to clicking/creating on a different software tool (that was more user-friendly) and the results I was looking for caused me to take extra steps when using Captivate.
Well suited: Gives your presentation a different appearance and allows you to create simulations that lessen your steps when it comes to making training/simulation videos.

Less appropriate: Not as user-friendly as I thought. Animations/states are hidden and cause the creator to take extra steps versus using a different type of software program tool.
January 18, 2018

Adobe Captivate Review: "High learning curve, solid training product"

Our organization used Adobe Captivate to record and present internal training materials for new sales people as well as compliance related training material for our cross-functional teams. Additionally, we used those courses to track required certifications.
  • Quick to publish
  • Simple learning interface
  • Hard Dev Learning Curve
  • Video Integration
  • Comprehensive click through reporting
Adobe Captivate is a great training suite that will get any training department off the ground with computer based training (CBT) materials.
Thomas A. Steele profile photo
August 04, 2017

Review: "Adobe Captivate captures user experience to captivate our audience"

We are using Adobe Captivate in the training department of our law firm. We are using Captivate to create a self-help library of video shorts covering all the applications we use at the firm. We need an application that will capture the user experience and allow us to replace standard support calls and classroom training by directing users to exactly the content they need. We need a tool that is powerful, yet easy to use so we can create hundreds of videos in a short amount of time.
  • Adobe Captivate records screen shots click-by-click. This allows us to control exactly what steps the users see.
  • Adobe Captivate allows voice-over dubbing. This feature lets us narrate the steps people need to take to learn the products we are covering.
  • Adobe Captivate allows closed captioning. This lets us add voice-over narration, but also allows users to turn off the sound and read the instructions. Many users participate in training from a cubicle where sound travels too broadly to listen to the voice narration.
  • Adobe Captivate has some limitations in how dialog boxes and text frames work. This restricts the creativity of my team.
  • It would be nice to have an automatic voice to text feature to turn the narration into closed captioning.
Adobe Captivate is well suited for situations where a training department needs to create simple video presentations of software tools. Adobe Captivate is great at capturing the exact user experience, while also controlling the environment enough to develop the training topics correctly and effectively. Adobe Captivate also allows us to assess user learning. We want users to attempt the actions we are training them so they can gain muscle memory. Using Adobe Captivate to capture the clicks of the user's mouse is a great feature.
Read Thomas A. Steele's full review
Phillip Carroll profile photo
October 25, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Captivate 2017 - Almost ready from prime time"

I use Adobe Captivate 2017 to create content for both internal and external learners. All content is created within the learning and development department and ranges from simple instruction in the use of a piece of office equipment (i.e. a new printer) to a multi-module course used to teach and certify subcontractors on our company's policies and procedures.
  • Allows the easy integration and use of Adobe Typekit fonts. This allows me to craft content to meet specific branding requirements, as well as making the content stand out from other material.
  • Provides a good preview of how responsive content will look on different screen sizes.
  • Easily packages content for upload to SCORM compliant LMSs.
  • The overall interface needs an upgrade. As a user of other Adobe products, I feed that Adobe Captivate lags well behind other applications from Adobe in its interface.
  • Working with responsive boxes is far from intuitive. Having to remember which direction you need to enter a box to make certain changes is frustrating.
  • Support for multiple monitors, including a live preview window, would greatly enhance the usability of the application.
Captivate works well for simple projects that are linear in nature. While some functions like duplicating slides seem easy, even those require more manual intervention than should be required. For instance, when a slide is duplicated the program copies the slide exactly as it is. This results in having multiple instances of specifically named items in your project. Something as simple as appending a number, or text and a number, to each copy would prevent linking issues.
Read Phillip Carroll's full review
Todd Byers profile photo
August 29, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "It does what I need it to"

We are using it in the customer education group, creating eLearning videos on software use.
  • Software usage tutorrials
  • Introduction videos with audio
  • Practice demos of software steps
  • Crashes too often
  • Tutorials are not very helpful, usually do not answer the question
Good for software usage scenarios struggles when trying to emulate a PowerPoint tutorial.
Read Todd Byers's full review
Mark Campbell, M.A. profile photo
August 04, 2017

"Adobe Captivate 2017 review"

We use Adobe Captivate mainly for creating assessments for online course development. There are no business issues for us. We use the tool as needed.
  • It creates interactive assessments and activities.
  • It has a quality set of tools to engage and guide the students.
  • The integration of videos is seamless.
  • The most glaring issue with Adobe Captivate is its captioning.
  • The resizing of text boxes and images can be more efficient.
  • Backward capability between versions of Adobe Captivate needs to work better from a file saving standpoint.
It's suited for creating graded assessments, affirmation learning, just in time training, etc. It's less appropriate for creating lectures/presentations.
Read Mark Campbell, M.A.'s full review
September 01, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Time to change"

Everyone has a license, but the whole "click-next-to-continue" type of learning solution is getting old, and learners don't want it. We just purchased Clark Flow and Brightspace as new-age development tools, which are quickly replacing Captivate.
  • Interactive learning
  • Click-next-to-continue
  • Quizes
  • We need to build web page-like learning solutions
  • No more slides
Laura Gillenwater profile photo
April 03, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Captivate Is Captivating!"

Adobe Captivate is in use across the whole organization, with different Learning & Development areas using it in different ways, in terms of types of instruction. On my team, and the other Learning & Development teams in the U.S. (which used to be part of my team prior to L&D being decentralized), Captivate has generally been used to create systems training. However, in at least one Learning & Development team in Canadian operations, I believe they also use it to develop more conceptual types of training as well. In addition, last year SLF U.S. acquired part of another company and inherited their Captivate training modules, which were also more conceptual in nature (product training). Personally, though, I think its greatest strength is its ability to create interactive systems training, which I think it does better than any other product that's available for a similar cost. For more conceptual training, I prefer to use other tools, although I do think that Captivate is very capable of doing a good job with that, as well, from conceptual courses I've seen that were created with Captivate.
  • The ability to quickly and easily create systems demos with text captions automatically added in.
  • The three-mode approach you can use -- you can record one system simulation and then use it to create a non-interactive demo, a guided user-interactive demo, and/or a non-guided user assessment.
  • The ability to set which area of the screen you want to capture, rather than necessarily being forced to capture your entire screen.
  • The ability to use actions and variables (although, admittedly, I haven't really delved into this in Captivate myself...)
  • The ease of publishing output to an Adobe Connect server.
  • It drives me crazy that the caption text doesn't automatically put a period at the end...I always have to end up going into each and every one to add that darned period!
  • The caption boxes aren't as slick looking as they should be nowadays, and the ability to customize them isn't quite as robust as I'd like.
  • Getting live tech support is exceedingly expensive and Adobe has the worst, most frustrating website (which is ironic, considering the products that they sell). Adobe has many very good products, but they're not a company I enjoy doing business with.

If you need a full-featured screen recording application to create robust, interactive training, then I don't think there's a better product out there than Captivate. However, if you just need to create a non-interactive demo, then Captivate may be overkill and there are less expensive and easier to use products out there for that, even within Adobe's own product line. (For example, if you buy Adobe Presenter, it comes with Adobe Presenter Video Express, which is great for creating quick-and-dirty screen capture demos.)

If you're only interested in creating non-systems e-learning (like product or compliance e-learning), then I think there are products out there that are better suited to that (unless you're already a Captivate expert), such as Lectora and Storyline.

Read Laura Gillenwater's full review
Brennan Andrews profile photo
March 30, 2017

Review: "Captivate your learners with Adobe Captivate"

Our organization never had a formal Learning & Development Team until 3 years ago. Until that time, training was created piecemeal and authored in Word or PowerPoint Documents. Now, we utilize state-of-the-art tools to assist in the creation of effective learning materials for our employees. Adobe Captivate is the crown jewel; without Captivate we wouldn’t have a robust library of eLearning modules for our employees to take. Captivate allows trainers, instructional designers and anyone in between to develop training courses that are engaging and efficient. Captivate turns the dull and boring training courses of yesteryear into an exciting opportunity to learn. Any content, be it Human Resources policies to Soft Skills training, can be developed in Captivate to address the needs of your organization.
  • If you can think it, Captivate can most likely do it. Captivate is extremely versatile in its functionality - which means that whatever you want to happen, you can design the course to behave in that way.
  • Captivate integrates seamlessly with our Learning Management system. You can choose to publish in whichever format is accepted by your LMS: SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, .mp4, etc.
  • Captivate's software simulation feature is remarkable. Anytime we have to train software functionality to our users, we use this feature as it easily identifies the steps users must complete to reach their desired result.
  • Although Adobe Captivate is powerful, it is not at all intuitive. Before attending a training on Captivate, we had no idea what we were doing. The learning curve is steep.
  • Captivate's video editing skills could be improved. Other products, such as Camtasia, blow Captivate out of the water in this regard.
  • The audio functionality is odd when integrating with Adobe's Audition program. You can record the tracks in audition and then pull them in or record directly to a slide within Captivate. If you record within Captivate, the audio quality and volume does not match any track brought in from Audition.
Any organization that needs an authoring tool or is looking to transform their training materials should look to Captivate to assist. Captivate enables the Learning & Development function to engage employees through its various functionality. Simulations, interactive widgets and games can all be added to a Captivate course, which increase the likelihood of keeping the learner's attention.
Read Brennan Andrews's full review
Tricia Crawford profile photo
March 29, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Why Captivate Rocks!"

Our entire organization uses Adobe Captivate to design and development engaging eLearning and Blended Learning solutions for our customers, including commercial and government organizations. We have found that using Captivate allows us to efficiently prototype and development learning experiences, can be used with various LMSs, and allows us to easily create SCORM-compliant courses. In addition, we have helped our customers make the decision to choose Adobe Captivate and other Creative Cloud software to use in-house.
  • The ability to create demos, software simulations, and practice exercises quickly and easily using the built-in recording features is a huge plus.
  • Captivate allows you to implement rapid prototyping for your customers and then use the prototype to create your course. Customer's love being able to "see" the possibilities instead of trying to visualize it based on a storyboard or design document.
  • It's a flexible tool. It's easy to reorganize your content, control objects, and the ability to create smart shapes and use them as an interactive object/button is a huge time saver.
  • Additional image editing options within Captivate would be nice.
  • While the addition of State Views in Cp9 are a welcome change, I would prefer to add the views if I want to utilize them instead of having them automatically attached to objects. This would avoid the added step of deleting the states when you don't want to use them.
It is a great tool for creating software simulation training to users. I have used it extensively for years for a client and it has worked very well for them because we can allow the users to practice using the system without being in the live system. Scenario-based eLearning can be cumbersome depending on the amount of decision-making/branching required but totally achievable with upfront planning.

Read Tricia Crawford's full review
Tim Griffith profile photo
March 23, 2017

User Review: "Adobe Captivate (v9) - I like it!"

We use Adobe Captivate to author eLearning that is used by the employees that we (training department) support in our organization. We use it to develop on-demand eLearning modules that can be completed at flexible times by our end users. We use the software to create anything from simple web demos to in-depth simulations (including branched decision points with various outcomes and customized feedback).
  • Evolving, each version improves over the last one; with subscription pricing you always have access to the newest version (vs. 1-time purchase).
  • Comprehensive - allows you to create almost any kind of computer-based interactions, from simple presentations to in-depth simulations.
  • Easy to integrate - multiple publishing options make it easy to share published courses on LMS platforms, or directly with end users via URLs.
  • Tougher learning curve than some eLearning authoring tools - the interface isn't as familiar as what some other tools provide, so the learning curve can be a little tougher - but once you've got it, it's very intuitive and easy to use
  • Fewer pre-built interaction tools than some other eLearning authoring tools - if you have an idea of what kind of interaction you want to create it's very easy, but you'll often be doing it from the ground up (vs. having a lot of nice pre-built interaction templates). This can be a pro or a con, because it can be a little more time consuming, but also provides more flexibility in terms of what you can create.
  • Sometimes acts a little buggy - every once in a while I'll encounter the software just not acting quite right (e.g. buttons not doing what they're supposed to). Typically this happens with larger projects, and typically restarting the program resolves the issue.

For an eLearning author who has a little time (or is willing to invest the time) to learn an unfamiliar interface, this is a great tool.

This is also a great tool for an eLearning author who can create a vision of the experience that the learner should have in his or her own mind, and doesn't require a lot of templates and pre-made interactions in order to create a course.

For a new eLearning designer who is unfamiliar with the interface, who doesn't have much time to get comfortable with it, this may not be as good a fit.

Read Tim Griffith's full review
Eric Ostrowski profile photo
April 24, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Captivate is Great!"

The training and development team at my organization utilizes Adobe Captivate to deliver e-learning training modules that are completed by staff members of the entire organization. My organization's training programs are audited and Adobe Captivate allows us to effectively deliver content for annual trainings, process improvement, and job-specific knowledge in an engaging platform that is cost-effective for our learners.
  • It is extremely easy to import existing media materials into Captivate. My organization has pictures of leadership and the training team that are used as characters within modules and it is extremely easy to manipulate these images within the program.
  • Manipulating multiple pieces of content at the same time within a slide is very easy.
  • The software simulation feature within Captivate allows screens within an application to be captured and learners can be assessed easily through the simulations as well.
  • Audio can be added quickly and edited within the program as well.
  • We upgraded from Captivate 7 to Captivate 8 a few months ago and the interactions options are very limited. Interactions themselves are challenging to configure.
  • Additional built-in shapes would add value.
  • Quiz configuration is something that I find to be challenging, especially when exporting to SCORM. I wish quizzing and reporting was easier to use, but having many options is helpful for different LMSs and other areas of delivery.
  • Software simulations or tutorials
  • Delivering company-wide trainings -- they can be made with many interactive features and are cost-effective
  • Onboarding trainings
  • Process updates within organizations
  • Creating training materials that are designed to be delivered on desktops or mobile devices
Read Eric Ostrowski's full review
Christopher E. Guarraia profile photo
April 18, 2017

Adobe Captivate: "Demonstrate This"

CTEC is using Adobe Captivate on a single project currently for Defense Acquisition University (DAU) with whom we have a contract. It is currently being used by CTEC's Human Capital and Training division—specifically the training team. The primary authoring tool we must use for distance learning is Composica, the platform used by DAU. Because there is a push to move away from Flash developed files (i.e. SWF output) for interactive elements, and I've had experience using Captivate 5.5, I recommended using Captivate not only to create interactive elements but also for its HTML5 output that would allow the elements to be viewed on different platforms.
  • Software simulation: Captivate is excellent at recording screen captures and keystrokes.
  • Video demonstration: With the right images and screenshots, I've used Captivate to create instructional videos to demonstrate to students how to play a particular instructional game designed for a course.
  • Text-to-speech placeholders: Using the integrated computer voices to generate slide voice overs is helpful while developing a slide because you can use the timeline to synchronize entrances, exits, and movement of slide elements to the placeholder voice over. The placeholder voice over can be used as the final narration or can be replaced by recorded voice over of an actor, which might require some resynchronization of the slide elements.
  • Timeline panel: When grouping slide elements that have motion effects, when they are grouped, the motion effects are lost and cannot be reapplied to the slide elements while they are in the group. It would be nice for the slide elements to retain any/all applied motion effects and to apply effects to individual slide elements within a group.
  • Editing recorded narration: When a recorded narration file such as an MP3 file is edited/modified using the Slide Audio function/tool, the updated audio file is saved as a WAV file, which is typically a bigger file than an MP3. It would be nice that there is an option to save it as an MP3 file or to save the file to whatever the original file format is.
  • Creating custom text captions: Currently, to create custom text captions, you have to create them in an external graphics application such as Adobe Photoshop. It would be nice to have an editor specific to Adobe Captivate to help create custom text captions.
  • No "side" text captions: Currently, all text captions either have no arrows/pointers (callouts) or their callouts are from the top or the bottom of the captions. It would be nice to have text captions whose callouts come from the side.
  • Naming of custom text captions and buttons: Currently, if you create a new text caption or button, incorporate it into a slide, and find that it needs to be updated, you have to either give the updated text caption or button a new name, or clear out the cache and restart Adobe Captivate. Both options can be frustrating when developing a course because it breaks development momentum. It would be nice to be able to simply update those elements without any renaming or restarting.
Adobe Captivate is well suited for software demonstrations and software simulations. With creating video demonstrations, such as how I used Adobe Captivate to create video demonstrations on how to interact with a Captivate generated game, it can be a little cumbersome, especially when showing the mouse for a screen. I would probably use Adobe After Effects to create the instructional videos in the future.
Read Christopher E. Guarraia's full review
Julie Babikan profile photo
March 31, 2017

Review: "Adobe Captivate captivates my audience."

I have used it in my current position to create "how-to" videos on some of our design processes. It helps others learn by watching then by doing. Much of the testing I use at the end of the presentation is the user attempting to do the process themselves by clicking on the interface.
  • It keeps subject matter engaging by integrating with other Adobe programs and even PowerPoint.
  • It allows you to create almost any kind of computer-based interactions, from simple presentations with voiceover to in-depth simulations showing how to use software, do a particular process, or learn complex information.
  • Various publishing options make it easy to share published courses on LMS platforms, or directly with end users via URLs or stand-alone .exe files.
  • Sometimes it can freeze up with more complicated projects. I usually reboot and it's ok.
  • I would like more ways to set up my interface.
  • Image editing within Captivate isn't as easy.
  • Sometimes when editing audio, I get glitches that push the audio out from that slide forward.
It is very well suited for software demonstrations. I can't think of many scenarios where less appropriate. If you are doing an intense software demo with a lot of movement, in can get jerky, not as smooth as Camtasia.
Read Julie Babikan's full review
Richard (Ric) Hazel profile photo
March 24, 2017

Review: "Captivate Your Organizations Learners with Adobe Captivate"

Adobe Captivate is being used by our Sales Org, our Technology Services org, and our Customer Technologies org for creating learning modules for CBTs (Computer Based Training) and other presentations. Captivate has been our tool of choice for this because of its ease of use, creative content capabilities, and gamification options.
  • Captivate publishes projects very well into HTML5 format so that we can link them to our LMS easily so that employees who view them can easily receive credit for the modules that they complete.
  • Captivate allows a designer to import multiple media formats into their project so that a module can keep the users attention, as well as engage them while they learn.
  • The gamification options within Captivate allow you to create very interesting games and quizzes that test the knowledge the user has gleaned from viewing the module. This keeps the user involved in the learning experience.
  • There are a few bugs in the program that require work-arounds, but this is not something I feel that holds you back. Publishing in HTML5 does not allow you to use certain special effect features, but they can be used in the other publishing formats.
  • Some of the effects in Captivate can be difficult to navigate to or find, but there is a very extensive on-line community that uses the product that I have found very helpful in discovering how to use or find features that I cannot find.
  • Adobe is slow to fix features that have bugs in them. This is a place where they could definitely improve their product by being more intentional and swift to correct these bugs.
We use Captivate to create learning modules that walk a user through specific tasks, or demonstrate to them a new policy or procedure. It is also well suited to create content that needs interaction or demonstration of what the user has learned. I think that it can be used for anything that you use PowerPoint for and in every way enhances your presentation.
Read Richard (Ric) Hazel's full review
Karl Plesz profile photo
January 24, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Captivate great for computer narration, but not intuitive"

Adobe Captivate is only being used by me, the trainer in the company. The problem we had was that we needed to ramp up the development of many online courses in a short period of time and with limited resources. An obstacle that had to be overcome is that the SMEs of the course content are not professional speakers and the online training portal we're using doesn't make narration recording very flexible. So I had identified that Captivate had the ability to convert text narration into quality, computerized speech. This was the practical solution to our most pressing issue.
  • Text to speech narration
  • SCORM content creation
  • Ability to edit imported slides in native software (PowerPoint)
  • If you don't completely explore and validate SCORM settings, you could create a content package that doesn't work as expected. The options could be much more intuitive.
  • You have to manually delete unused content prior to publishing to avoid large files. It should offer to remove unused content automatically.
  • The software is complex enough that a new user would not fare well with no training at all. There should be a built-in progression guide.
This software would be good for converting existing non-SCORM content into SCORM files. This software would be great for generating computer narration. This software would be a nightmare for anyone other than a skilled software user.
Read Karl Plesz's full review
Sam Sternman profile photo
January 10, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Moving on to Articulate 360..."

Until mid-2012, I was using Captivate exclusively. Since then, my clients (and I) have been requesting less and less work to be completed in Captivate - this is primarily due to issues with playback and other LMS (HealthStream) related issues. So, for 2017, I have chosen to eliminate Captivate from my software toolbox and I will no longer be using the tool as of 4/30/2017. This decision is based on difficult-to-use trigger/action features, poor handling of responsive design options and Adobe's poor relationships with third-party widget options (particularly YouTube playback).
  • Given my introduction, you would think that I don't have a "list" here. But, to be fair, I've added two "strengths" for the software that, at one time, was my mainstay (and income) as an instructional designer. 1: Integrates well with other Adobe products
  • 2: Offers characters to use for illustration (ver 9)
  • Ever-changing GUI
  • Poor selection of included characters (photographic)
  • Difficult-to-program options for SCORM quizes
It's better than Lectora.

I would not recommend Captivate to anyone who is an experienced instructional designer - or to someone who has a need for a rapid development cycle.
Read Sam Sternman's full review
Kara Erlandson profile photo
March 30, 2017

User Review: "Adobe Captivate First Impressions"

I use Captivate to design eLearning interactions that are housed on our LMS. It is used only by me. It helps make the learning more interactive and allows learners to practice the knowledge they learn.
  • Drag and Drop
  • Quiz questions
  • Rollovers
  • Library of interactions
  • Being able to launch on WPLMS
  • Expanded library of interactions and graphics
Well suited: Any self-paced eLearning module
Not well suited: For non-scorm compliant LMS's, situations that require collaboration and commenting on projects
Read Kara Erlandson's full review
Ches Allen profile photo
February 16, 2017

Adobe Captivate Review: "Helpful, but buggy"

I used Adobe Captivate to develop and edit a course video using slides and voice over. It was used primarily by myself only. It addressed our problem of producing a professional course video by allowing us to record audio and then edit it to coordinate with the slides.
  • Adobe Captivate provided a useful tool to edit voice recording
  • Captivate allowed us to mute unwanted noise such as extra breathing and easily trim sound clips
  • Captivate allowed us to edit PPT slides through the application
  • The software itself was very buggy and crashed often, causing hours of work to be lost
  • Customer support for Captivate was unhelpful and often frustrating
When properly functioning, Captivate is well suited for developing presentations and editing voice overs. It is less appropriate if you need a reliable platform that works quickly and consistently.
Read Ches Allen's full review

Course authoring (3)
Course catalog or library (2)
Player/Portal (3)
Learning content (3)
Mobile friendly (3)
Progress tracking & certifications (3)
Assignments (2)
6.5
Learning administration (1)
Learning reporting & analytics (2)
6.0

About Adobe Captivate

Adobe Captivate is an elearning authoring and course design tool (or LCMS). It allows users to rapidly author responsive, interactive learning eLearning content, as well as mobile HTML-5 learning content. Users can test courses with the preview LMS feature, and track the performance of learners as they complete quizzes and other tasks. Adobe Captivate includes some prebuilt templates and learning assets, but users also have the option to custom code their own complex learning workflows. Adobe Captivate integrates with SCORM-compliant LMS systems, including Adobe Captivate Prime.

Adobe Captivate Technical Details