ADP TotalSource

ADP TotalSource Review

Don't Do It

Totalsource is used across our organization for payroll, benefits, and human resource management

All-In-One HR Solution!

ADP TotalSource - not so much

You can do better.

We moved over to ADP TotalSource (PEO) from ADP Run and I'll begin my review by saying we're not happy at all.
Let's start with the price: …

ADP is HR done simply.

What is ADP TotalSource?

What is ADP Workforce Now?

ADP Workforce Now is a cloud-based HR platform for mid-sized businesses. It features customizable modules of various HR services that businesses can tailor to their specific needs, as well as regulatory monitoring and alerts to help businesses remain compliant.

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

What is ADP TotalSource?

ADP TotalSource is a professional employer organization (PEO) that provides strategic HR outsourcing. It includes services and technology to manage employee benefits, payroll, compliance, risk management, safety, and recruiting. Users have access to an online portal for things like self-service reporting, generating pay statements, and managing applicant resumes/interviews. Help from the service center and industry experts is available by phone.

ADP TotalSource Competitors

ADP TotalSource Technical Details

Alternatives

What are ADP TotalSource's top competitors?

TriNet are common alternatives for ADP TotalSource.

What is ADP TotalSource's best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 3.3.

Who uses ADP TotalSource?

The most common users of ADP TotalSource are from Mid-size Companies and the Construction industry.

TotalSource as our PEO. We use the software as our HRIS/Payroll system. As of now, we don't use it across the whole organization for everything, but we will in the future. From a streamlining processes and receiving support standpoint it's been helpful thus far. They offer lots of assistance.
  • eliminate paper forms
  • help streamline processes
  • provide assistance with issues
  • the response times from the support staff could be a bit better
  • the implementation team just drops you
  • think they should hire more people to lessen the support staffs work load
If you are looking for assistance with making sure your company is in compliance, I would highly recommend. If you are just looking for an HRIS system...stick to Workforce now. There's a lot of work involved in signing on with a PEO upfront and most people don't have the bandwidth to handle that during an implementation.
Kimberly Cavanaugh, PHR | TrustRadius Reviewer
TotalSource was used by the HR Department on a daily basis. Employees were encouraged to use TotalSource to view their paychecks and benefits, submit a life event, change their personal information, manage withholdings and direct deposit. In HR, it was used to manage employee benefits, submit payroll, manage disability among many other areas. I was an HR department of one which made TotalSource a vital tool in my day to day work. If I were unavailable or was unable to answer an employee question, TotalSource was my support.
  • The prebuilt reports were excellent
  • TotalSource came with the Employee Service Center support - the best part of TS
  • The software integrated with our time keeping system which made payroll a little easier
  • While the prebuilt reports were great, I would have to contact TS in order to get a custom report. This only happened a few times because like I said, they had a variety of prebuilt reports that fit my needs
  • iReports was implemented and it became more difficult to find employee paystubs and find YTD pay
ADP TotalSource is my company's PEO. Being an HR department of one, the support I received from the was worth its weight in gold. They have so many resources already in place that I was able to make use of instead of researching and creating myself. One part of having them as a PEO that I wasn't a fan of, was the limitations we had in choosing our benefit carriers. They had contracts with two health carriers to choose from. So if we weren't happy with rates, there was only so much room to negotiate, at the carriers knew that.
ADP TotalSource was being used for onboarding new team members, payroll, vacation/sick time tracking, and onboarding new hires.
  • Payroll was easy to learn and use with time tracking in a short time frame
  • Tracking team members request offs and approving them were very easy
  • Customizing reports for specific periods of time. This made is very easy for end of year tracking for total hours worked and total dollars paid.
  • The system was really easy to use and the software was well built. We only had complaints with the customer service end.
  • When you contacted someone with a question, they would redirect you to a specific department. That department would sometimes take 3 - 4 days to get back in touch with you. This made for an inefficient working relationship.
  • During the sales calls we were promised the moon and that we would have a direct account manager. However, the manager was more like who we called to direct us to someone else. She never knew any details on any of our questions. (it was a waste of a position)
ADP TotalSource is well suited for companies that manage many employees. It really breaks out each section into a different department. If this is how your business is setup and many larger companies are this would work well for you. In a smaller company where you are the payroll specialist, the benefits manager, etc. it was very inefficient to have questions answered when you had to wait days for an answer.
ADP is being used as a small business solution for HR and payroll needs.
  • Provided easy reporting for PPP.
  • Created required reports for PPP.
  • Payroll is efficient.
  • Communication
  • Ease of payroll input
  • Understanding of state specific laws
ADP is built for large companies that have internal support and use ADP as a supplement. ADP is not well suited for small companies. HR is not well versed in specific state laws, which can cost an employer a huge amount of money in legal fees and headaches, the very thing companies are paying to avoid through ADP. Also, the legal coverage promised by ADP is nullified by the bylaws and details that keep them non-negligent. So not only do they not know the laws, but they are also not responsible for giving bad advice. It would be better for a small business to hire a very good business attorney that knows the particulars of the state they do business in.
We utilize ADP for their PEO Total Source which [I feel] has been an utter nightmare since the beginning. [I personally recommend] do not walk away from this company - run.
  • None
  • [I feel] Customer service is horrible. [...]
  • Software is archaic like something that was cutting edge in the 90's.
I would not use this company for anything. [I believe my] employees [absolutely] hate the software and there are constantly glitches in the software which occur every payroll run, benefits enrollment, etc. [I have spent] large amounts of time on the phone with outsourced customer support[,] so think twice when comparing [the] cost to other providers. [I feel] you [will] need someone full time to deal with all of their issues. We are currently in the process of setting up another PEO company. The amount of money and time to implement ADP has been a huge loss.
February 03, 2021

Don't Do It

• Payroll is relatively straightforward
  • Customer service is horrible
  • Follow up takes 7-10 days, and requires multiple inquiries from you, the client
  • The promised "dedicated team" doesn't exist
  • Onboarding is confusing to new hires
  • Explanation of benefits to new hires is useless and must be done in office, thereby negating any value.
  • They should not provide handling UI claims as as service. They have no ability to actually meet deadlines.
A "0" rating was not an option. ADP's handling of UI claims is non-existent, which caused our rate to double. Claims were ignored and responses filed late. Appeals filed late. Employee names were mixed up. ADP puts the blame on an outside vendor. Be aware, the state does not find "we have too much mail" a valid reason for non-responsiveness, and your business will pay the price, literally. Hiring ADP was the worst business decision we have ever made.
We are using ADP TotalSource for human resources paycheck management across our 2000 + company. It is a great standard solution for a large company. There are, however, many tradeoffs to having a paycheck management solution that is so universally attributable. We have to use a lot of other solutions to offer the full HR experience.
  • Universally applicable.
  • Reporting rollups.
  • Global solution.
  • Expensive.
  • Old school.
  • Bland.
ADP TotalSource is great looking for an all in one solution for their human resources needs. The interface is very old-school finance but gets the job done across all sorts of discipline in a large organization. They have ad hoc solutions, but the product becomes way more expensive.
We used to use ADP TotalSource and decided to cancel our service with them. They are a PEO. It was a hard decision to terminate our account with them because of the difficulty of setting it up, getting all our employees on there and then switching it, but as hard as that was, we decided to do it because [we think that] ADP TotalSource's services are horrendous - [and we believe that] they have the worst customer service and product in the market. It's hard to navigate their customer dashboard, so hard to make payroll every period and when you ask for help, they provide a 877 number; where you are put on hold forever. There are so many other great options out there and we decided to work with an alternate - Rippling and we're very happy with it.
  • Nothing
  • Can't think of anything
  • Nope
  • Customer Service
  • Product
  • Responsiveness
I would never recommend ADP TotalSource to anyone and would actively share alternatives with anyone looking for a PEO.
February 29, 2020

All-In-One HR Solution!

Cameron Walker | TrustRadius Reviewer
It was used across our organization to streamline benefits and compensation. Previously, we were using multiple vendors to address our HR needs, and this solution is all in one.
  • Easy to use.
  • Reliable.
  • Intuitive user interface.
  • Easy to navigate.
  • Issues during implementation.
  • Service is costly.
  • Too many features that we don't use.
It is well suited if you are looking for an all-in-one solution to manage all HR functions (payroll, benefits, retirement, PTO, etc). It is less appropriate for a smaller organization that doesn't need all of the functionality that the tool provides.
ADP is a great HR solution for most organizations. It is truly all-in-one. I rated it a 7, because of the issues we experienced during implementation and the high cost of service when issues do arise.
We are not using it anymore. It was awful. We used ADP TotalSource for almost 2 years. Choosing ADP TotalSource was one of our worst business decisions!
  • We dealt with a few really nice and knowledgeable people, but far more people didn't know what they were doing.
  • We got paid on time.
  • Website access worked.
  • Most of the people we dealt with didn't know what they were doing.
  • Most of the time when we had a question, the person we were dealing with had to refer the question to someone else and would get back to us. This usually took too long and sometimes, they never did get back to us.
  • Prohibitively expensive
  • Lack of transparency in quotes and fee structure
  • Impossibly difficult report writing features
  • Hard to find what you looking for online--not user-friendly
  • On the day of payroll, if you had a question, you often could not find your specialist to help you, even if you left a message. Dealing with someone else was difficult since they didn't know our specific issues. The payroll date was always frustrating.
  • Working with the PEO system just was not a good fit for us.
We had been using "old fashioned" ADP for salaries for decades. We thought that ADP TotalSource would be a great fit because of the HR support. It was a bad experience from beginning to end. The experience with ADP TotalSource has put us off PEOs completely.
Because it was awful.
December 30, 2019

You can do better.

Let's start with the price: ADP TotalSource is very expensive and I can now say the cost does not justify the service received.
Service: My sales representative "forgot" to cancel our previous RUN service when she moved us over to TotalSource. Every time we called for a live representative, we were never able to get a hold of our "dedicated" representative. I would leave voicemails, but no one checks those. They did call back whenever I followed up with an email.
Platform: The TotalSource online platform is ancient.. it's like as if someone designed it to be not-user-friendly on purpose. In today's day and age, it's expected for a company like ADP to provide a user-friendly experience.
Closing thoughts: Save the headache and find a newer, more up-to-date PEO service provider. We moved over to a much better company and we're happy. In addition to saving about half of what we were paying ADP, we're receiving better service and we're also using a user-friendly online platform.
  • Not all team members are bad.
  • Online platform
  • Service
I requested service termination for December 31st and they decided to terminate my service on December 27th. Leaving me hanging,
Very hard to get someone on the phone when you need them. TotalSource was supposed to be an extension of our company. We never felt this way.
ADP TotalSource is being used as a Professional Employer Organization (PEO). As part of a larger organization, we allow the group to leverage or aggregate workforce toward better benefit offers (among other perks). Being a PEO service, we also look to ADP Totalsource for many functions that would normally be offered in house by a human resources department. Finally, the majority of our payroll-related services are executed by ADP.
  • Their payroll software offers the expected levels of security/controls regarding timecard approvals.
  • Personally, I have found their "canned" reporting software pretty easy to use.
  • As far as account representatives, William (Bill) Eddy has been a pleasure to work with. The majority of the other individuals assigned to our account have left a poor taste in my mouth. Terrence Jeffrey Malari was a great deal of help in working through some personal questions I had. Actually, the representatives assigned to individual needs seem to be pretty helpful, the account team could use some additional training.
  • ADP built a custom report that is capable of uploading directly into our general ledger.
  • Many of the individuals that have been assigned to our account over the years have provided a poor level of service. Typically, the poor service was due to lack of training (they appeared to be genuinely trying). Recently, I have had great success with William (Bill) Eddy.
  • We have observed rising fees over the years. After shopping the market, it appears that these fees are not in line with what we should be observing.
ADP TotalSource (as a PEO) is well-suited for companies that need a little help acquiring the next tier of benefit offerings from payers. Assuming they continue providing additional training to account representatives, they are well suited for companies who would like to reduce their exposure to payroll and human resources. The service is less appropriate for smaller companies who can easily handle payroll functions in house.
ADP TotalSource is being used across my whole organization. I have also used it at 2 other organizations prior to this one as well. Currently, I use it mainly to check my bi-weekly pay and how much was taken out for various taxes and what not. I also have used it over the past few months to verify information for tax information. ADP TotalSource helps to solve many problems such as pay or tax information. One issue that people often have with resources such as this is privacy and when you are viewing ADP Totalsource, you can go into privacy mode so no one sitting around you can see the various numbers on your screen.
  • It does a great job of keeping track of all your pay at various other jobs that also use ADP TotalSource. You can easily log in and verify any information that you might need to check on.
  • The privacy feature is really great so that only you can see documents with financial information on them.
  • The app is also really handy and easily accessible. You can pull up anything in a pinch if you don't have access to your work computer at the same time that you need to look up something.
  • I wish that there was a feature that would allow you to do some financial planning with your money.
  • If you can't remember your password or username, it is really hard to retrieve and they always take a long time to get back to you.
  • One other con is that it is not always the easiest to navigate and sometimes you don't realize that you have gone to a different screen and then it gets you out of everything and you have to do the log in process all over. This would be more of an issue if you were using a computer instead of the mobile app.
ADP Totalsource is well suited for any size company. It is a functional warehouse of information and is especially handy for an HR department and a great investment. It should eliminate employees coming to you all the time with questions about their pay or other financial questions. It is also great if you are someone that switches from one company to another often because it will store all of your information for you. If you do not know about the privacy setting, that could be an issue because then others could view your personal financial information. I would not recommend purchasing if your company is incredibly small depending on how profitable your company and what industry you are in.
February 16, 2018

ADP is HR done simply.

ADP is used company-wide for various HR and payroll services. Our HR department handles onboarding, benefits, and payroll through ADP for a 30 person company that has expanded two-fold in the past year. Thus far, ADP has scaled extremely well with us as we have grown, and we have yet to experience a single hiccup involving payroll or benefits that didn't involve user error.
  • ADP handles payroll extremely well. Employees are able to check on their paystubs within seconds without having to contact HR, benefits are clearly displayed, and the various interfaces are helpful.
  • ADP has invested pretty heavily in customer service. There isn't any issue you can't receive almost immediate help for by contacting ADP directly.
  • ADP scales well with new additions, this is particularly important for growing companies.
  • The interface is dated, which is pretty typical amongst various HR software.
  • There are several paths to the same points which can lead to confusion for users. Just for example, ADP has three ways to view a paystub off the top of my head, none of which offer anything unique.
  • ADP has some strange quirks that sometimes require workarounds. One of our employees had to opt out of physical paychecks several times over across four separate areas to finally stop receiving letters.
ADP is perfect for HR departments or employers that are looking for a simple, easy to use HR solution. There is nothing particularly complex about using ADP for your companies payroll and benefits, which is a boon for most HR departments. I wouldn't suggest ADP if you are looking for a more robust solution to your HR and benefits; or something that has a really well polished and "pretty" UI.