AHEAD, formerly Sovereign Systems + Data Blue Reviews

Sovereign Systems Hardware Refresh

• Project Management
  • Fiber switch implementation
  • Hardware implementation
This company has been the only one that I’ve worked with, so I don’t have much to compare it to.
We worked with Patrick Webb from Sovereign. He was very professional and consistently kept things moving forward.
Read Brenda Manzella's full review
David McMillan, MBA, ITIL | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 08, 2018

Great Relationship with Sovereign Systems

• Requirements analysis that translates our needs to specific configurations
  • Producing equipment quotes that translate to capital and operational spending
  • Frequent direct-contact follow-up to ensure we have what we need
  • Works closely with our hardware/software vendors to produce a unified front to us the customer.
  • Persistence is good, up to a point.

We have found that Sovereign System complements our primary hardware vendor very well, adding a layer of value in the form of pre-sales technical support and specialists who can come in and talk with us about our specific technical challenges.

Because we often are rushing around at the last minute trying to nail down configurations, Sovereign Systems has proven that they can respond to our urgency.

Our relationship with Sovereign Systems with respect to project management is new. We have just kicked off a new project and the first meeting with Sovereign Systems was led by a project manager who described the level of project management support we'll get with Sovereign Systems. And this project manager works closely with our sales rep, so we have good communication between all parties there.
Read David McMillan, MBA, ITIL's full review
Derek Williams | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 08, 2018

Sovereign Systems Customer Review

• Excellent with the installation, configuration, and support of the EMC line of storage arrays.
  • Valuable resource in the decision-making process of purchasing and configuration of the VMware product suite.
  • Project management has been key to the success we have had with Sovereign Systems.
  • There isn't much depth in the Citrix arena. Unfortunately, this limits us from being able to consolidate with Sovereign Systems as our only partner.
I have only used Soverign Systems in regards to array storage, storage fabric, and miscellaneous software. However, I will say that for EMC, Brocade, and VMware related questions/support, they are typically where we turn to prior to even calling the product support team.

A mentioned previously in the survey, they are lacking in Citrix specialization, this forces us to use a different vendor for our licensing support. In addition to Citrix, we have used Dell Compute for legacy as well as our latest refresh of hardware, and Sovereign Systems has only recently (that I am aware of) started to specialize in the support and resell of Dell Compute with the recent Dell/EMC merger.
We are currently engaged in a project with Sovereign Systems. Our project includes new storage arrays, storage migrations, storage fabric migrations, and directors. In addition to that, we are also building a DR solution from scratch. Sovereign Systems has been a part of the project from purchase to install and now configuration. We have received timely updates and their onsite engineers have been methodical with their planning and roll out through the entire project.
Read Derek Williams's full review
Mariano Maluf | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 03, 2018

Feedback

• Consulting
  • Training
  • Solution Delivery
  • Pre-Sales
  • Large, complex, interdisciplinary projects with a global scope
  • Possibly cross-domain systems architecture beyond traditional IT
  • Potentially emerging technology road mapping
Sovereign Systems is well suited in scenarios where Information Technology decision makers need a solid project execution, starting with requirements gathering that dig deep into the root of the challenges, to then articulate an architecture and an implementation approach that will meet and exceed the technology and business needs around the opportunity.
Based on comparable examples and external references, their reputation for project execution was solid, providing a high level of confidence in the execution of a technology implementation.
Read Mariano Maluf's full review
David Demos | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2017

Sovereign and John Kunik Gets it Done!

• Excellent communication
  • Great follow-up
  • Really understanding our business needs
  • We have always been happy and will continue to use them as our reseller for EMC.
Configuration, matching the technology, lowering costs.
Read David Demos's full review
Brian Sweeney | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 21, 2017

Trusted partner in IT Automation

• Sovereign Systems was engaged to help us along with our journey to the cloud.
  • The team was extremely professional and knowledgeable and helped us chose a platform that met our needs.
  • Professional services did a fantastic job deploying VMware vRealize Automation.
  • While the deployment was first rate and stable, documentation of the environment could have been better.
We leverage Sovereign Systems mainly for professional services in and around IT and service automation. Sovereign Systems has helped us with Puppet, VMware vRealize Automation, and ServiceNow.
PMs have been solid, however, one of our projects did get derailed. There were many factors but there was an instance where the Sovereign PM dropped the ball. We identified the disconnect. The PM rectified the situation before timelines slipped too far.
Read Brian Sweeney's full review
Kevin Blackburn | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2017

Trusted Advisor

• Sovereign Systems expertise in enterprise storage technologies and virtualization is unmatched by any vendor that I have worked with in the past.
  • Project management and the will to see projects through to the end is unmatched. We have been undergoing a large Epic implementation this year and Sovereign has assisted us every step of the way. They have even gone so far as to work along side vendors that are direct competitors to them to ensure the success of our project.
  • Sovereign Systems's engineers are extremely knowledgeable and competent. They do what it takes to get the job done and make sure that the job is done right while providing documentation of the work that they have done and making sure that we understand the technologies that we are implementing.
  • In the past when we have had issues and vendor support has been required, Sovereign Systems is quick to join in with helping us to get the issue resolved.
  • Sovereign is always pushing to be our "one stop shop" for everything that we may need. Our philosophy is to not have all of our eggs in one basket and to maintain relationships with multiple vendors. While one vendor may be capable of meeting all of our needs, we like to use the vendor that is the best fit for each individual need which is why we diversify the vendors that we use for each project use case.
Sovereign Systems is an indispensable partner in helping us to achieve goals. They help us to vet out solutions to our challenges and help us to wade through the details and choose the best technology to meet our needs. When it comes time to implement the solution that we have selected their implementation engineers always see things through to completion and make themselves available to answer questions and to assist if needed down the road.
Project managers always follow up with detailed meeting notes and action items for me and handling the background details so that we do not get bogged down in the details of the project and we are able to focus on creating a solution that our organization can benefit from.
Read Kevin Blackburn's full review
James Ilderton | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 05, 2017

Great reseller!

• Listened to our ideas
  • Worked with the manufacturer to ensure the proper solution was being quoted
  • Communicated updated order and shipping details in a timely fashion
  • Followed up when an additional item was shipped that was not ordered and made it as painless as possible to return it
  • They could use an SE that could work with us directly to help architect solutions, currently they don't have a NetApp SE that could do this for us
In my experience Sovereign Systems fits well into larger more technical IT shops, where the need is for competitive and accurate pricing and delivery, but not where a solution needs to be created from scratch. This may only be for NetApp solutions, but that's the limit of my work with them.
I do not have any experience with them dong Project Management
Read James Ilderton's full review
Herold Ghany | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 02, 2018

Sovereign Systems

• Understand current IT trends and best practices
  • Nimble solutions provider, quick turnaround on complex solutions.
  • Customer support. Very great post-sales support. I cannot think of a time I have approached Sovereign Systems for support and had to chase answers down. Knowledgeable staff.
  • Marketing material outlining Sovereigns full range of solutions.
  • Customer service portal would help manage open cases.
We have worked on several projects throughout the years working with the Sovereign team. These projects range from simple upgrades to more complex SAM migrations. Sovereign understands our environment and is able to complete and overcome obstacle's that may arise.
Read Herold Ghany's full review
Lenny Hewitt | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 22, 2017

Great support for Turner

• Very thorough with their help.
  • They integrate well with our company.
  • They bend over backwards to make sure that everything is done right and on time even when that is not their job.
  • Knowledgable support.
  • Sovereign systems is very tightly coupled with Turner Broadcasting in the purchasing and add tremendous value. I haven't seen anything that they need improvement on. Not to say that their isn't anything. Just at least in my experience there hasn't been anything.
Sovereign has a well rounded staff of technical people as well as technical sales people. They work tremendously well with Turner and their people bend over backwards for us. I needed a drive to help get a project done. Don went out of his way to make sure the drive was here when I needed it.
I haven't had any experience with the project management capabilities of sovereign systems, but if it is anything like what I've experienced so far with their other staff I'm sure it is great service.
Read Lenny Hewitt's full review
Ken Marshall | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 15, 2017

Sovereign Systems Review

• The level of knowledge that the engineers posses is very high and useful.
  • The blog that I receive from Sovereign is a great resource of information.
If you have an environment that has a large ESX environment, they will work well with you. They not only offer expertise and knowledge in the VMWare area, they also have great services to come onsite and work with you in whatever capacity is needed. If you are implementing new technology, they are a great resource for information and manpower.
Sovereign Systems does a great job of outlying the specifics of projects. They are very good at specifying timelines for the project. If there are any issues or problems, they are very easy to contact and work with to get the problem resolved. There is always a plan "B" in case it is needed.
Read Ken Marshall's full review
Alan Sheehan | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 18, 2017

Great company to work with

• They have very competent people that we are comfortable working with. Some things for us that may be a once in a blue moon type activity are the things that their guys do weekly.
  • Very good software driven solutions (see SovLabs). It's not uncommon for their guys to demo things for us in SovLabs which is useful to see what we can expect in our own environment.
  • Good at being attentive and always quick to respond. Our rep John Kunik is always good at being Johnny on the spot whenever we need him.
  • Some vendor bias in sales processes, this can be natural for many companies though but I do wish our last engagement could have gone better. Despite going with a different vendor for that purchase we are still using Sovereign for configuration and design assistance due to the history and trust we have in their technicians.
They are easily our go to company for anything revolving around VMware suite, whether that is infrastructure related, automation related, or monitoring related. It's a no brainier to get their assistance with a lot of tasks as they can competently implement complex designs. Also on the storage architecture side they are great.

I'm sure there is much more but for my team we mainly leverage them in these areas.
Solid, Patrick always does a good job staying on top of things and keeping us in the loop on resource availability. I know sometimes we can be demanding but he always goes out of his way to make scheuldes mesh up as best as possible.
Read Alan Sheehan's full review
Matt Hampson | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 09, 2017

Sovereign Systems Rocks!

• Sovereign System has always worked hard to meet our budgetary limitation while delivering outstanding value.
  • Anytime I had a technical question I got an answer right away - often my account manager would call up an expert in the field of question and we would discuss.
  • Always a joy to negotiate pricing.... but they are much easier to work with than most vars.
Sovereign Systems is well versed in data center infrastructure - from the usual server, storage, switch configurations to a true hyper-converged solution.
Read Matt Hampson's full review
Mike Hutson | TrustRadius Reviewer
July 20, 2017

Sovereign Systems - A partner you can count on

• Suggests the right technologies for the need not a technology with a specific vendor in mind.
  • Understands our culture and technologist so that recommendations fit into what we do best and can support.
  • Is always willing to go the extra mile to make sure we are happy and that our customers are happy.
  • Expansion of the media industry experts.
  • Continue to expand its vendors without losing sight of its small family feel.
  • Remember that they might not always be the answer for everything.
Knowledge of networking and storage systems has always been a strong point and while it continues I will go to them first to help guide decisions I make in the future. Continued expansion of their services that they provide will enable us to look at them for added resources that we need on new projects going forward. Always being there to assist and admit if mistakes are made by either side and help find the correct solution.
I have not used them very much for project management in the past but when I have they are always aware of our dates we have to meet and will always get resources however they have to to make sure we meet those dates. They understand the nature of our 24 hour business and will commit to do whatever it is that needs to be done to get the job done.
Read Mike Hutson's full review
Jim Darsigny | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 02, 2017

The Sum is Greater than the Parts when you Partner with Sovereign Systems

• Configuration and deployment of Dell/EMC storage and backup platforms.
  • Needs assessment and future growth planning.
  • Product discounting through vendor initiatives.
  • Project management.
  • Coordination of product orders with the vendor although I think the vendor is the bigger issue. Insuring delivery time frames are met is of great importance with these kinds of projects.
  • Communication between scheduled project meetings. There could be more contact between meetings.
  • Provide a customer portal for project tracking.
I think of Sovereign as a heavily engineering oriented consulting partner. Their strengths are in needs assessment, solution planning, and implementation. Any Dell/EMC storage or backup platform project, any VMware or VMware Control Center deployment, or virtual server platform deployment would be ideal situations for Sovereign. I think they could beef up their training and documentation services to provide greater value to their clients but I have absolute confidence in their ability to execute on the planning and engineering end and would recommend them to anyone on those grounds.
I rate Sovereign very highly in this area because of their attention to detail and their ability to bring multiple resources to bear on an issue with relatively little notice. They also offer a consistent team to their clients, using the same people on multiple projects which insures there will be a strong partnership between them and the customer. I do think there could be more communication between scheduled meetings.
Read Jim Darsigny's full review
Paul Gue | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 07, 2017

Sovereign Flash

• Understand the business and the direction of the business.
  • Deep technical knowledge of the IT industry - used them as a trusted advisor.
  • React quickly to any issue or problem.
  • Personally I have not had any issues when dealing with Sovereign Systems.
I have used Sovereign Systems for storage, data center, cloud computing.
They have been excellent and setting expectations, and driving the projects that I had with them forward.
Read Paul Gue's full review
Anthony Reid | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 21, 2017

Review

• Research pre-requisites well in advance of starting implementation.
  • Detail oriented in project meetings.
  • Great post installation documentation and basic training on system.
  • Contacting customers for post project survey. I've worked with some great Sovereign employees and I would have liked to give them the recognition they deserve.
Overall Sovereign was great to work with. They were very committed to making sure the project was done right the first time.
Detail oriented
Read Anthony Reid's full review
Jimmy Ngo | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 19, 2017

Great partner with lots of services to offer.

• Well picked team. Everyone does their job and is great to be around.
  • Always there to provide input and recommendation on the fly when something mission critical comes up.
  • Perhaps some more interaction with Sovereign Systems to keep the flame alive. Lately, it seems as though we only interact when one party or the other needs something. A random day for lunch or after work social could go a long way.
All the projects that I've been part of with Sovereign Systems have been successful. I am more than happy with the services provided and would recommend Sovereign Systems to anyone that asks.
I've only worked with one of their Project Managers and he's done a great job managing our projects. It's tough finding a good project manager that will follow up when needed, can understand technical jargon, and keeps the project moving to hit target dates.
Read Jimmy Ngo's full review
Steve Turley | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 19, 2017

Want a great Trusted Advisor??? Try Sovereign Systems.

• Implementation services/planning. I have worked with them for years on many different projects. Their level of planning and follow through are second to none.
  • Sales - The sales team at Sovereign Systems has not steered me wrong. I have worked with them on many different storage and virtualization projects and have been pleased with every purchase that we have made.
  • Roadmap discussions
  • Project Planning
  • It's hard to find many items that I feel Sovereign Systems needs [to] work [on]. I have worked with them for years and have very few minor issues with the work that has been performed.
I have worked with them closely for years; primarily in the storage and virtualization arena. They have expanded their sales footprint in my organization and have branched out to other areas such as ServiceNow and continue to bring in other vendors that would be a good fit in our organization.

Appropriate:
Storage, Virtualization, Automation, ServiceNow.
I have only worked with them on storage related projects for project management but have been very pleased with the outcome of every project that I have had them engaged.
Read Steve Turley's full review
Tyrone Barnes | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 18, 2017

Sovereign Systems knocks it out the box

• Explain whats/whys of any solution they recommend.
  • Provide a great deal of knowledge transfer.
  • Customer service oriented.
  • Reachable by phone/email etc.
  • All of my experiences with them have been fine.
Sovereign Systems is well suited for any scenario requiring a high level of technical expertise.
The project manager kept the engineers on task and made sure that everything was completed in a timely fashion.
Read Tyrone Barnes's full review
Michael Hatala | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 07, 2017

Storage solutions provided by Soverign Systems

• Communicate honestly with its customers.
  • Be cognizant of fixing problems in a timely and resolute manner.
  • Keeping the customer aware of new technologies that may benefit their business.
  • Keep the customer aware of other technologies other than Dell EMC products.
Sovereign Systems is well suited for selling, deploying, and training for storage products such as NAS, backup storage, and direct attached storage.
During all of our major products with Sovereign Solutions, we have had a project manager assigned which proved to be invaluable in making the project progress in an orderly, timely manner and finish on time.
Read Michael Hatala's full review
Jason Dominy | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 08, 2017

Service beyond belief

• Customer support. Sovereign Systems has excellent support and will always supply the right resources when you need them.
  • Pre-Sales support. Sovereign Systems is dedicated to getting the absolute best solution at the lowest price is installed.
  • Sovereign Systems has extremely knowledgeable engineers.
  • From our perspective, I see no areas for improvement. Our organization has just started using a purchasing group. We have had trouble getting them on because of their selectivity. We believe we have a work around. That is the only complaint I have.
Sovereign Systems is very open and can provide engineers for networking and storage. I feel it would be less appropriate to use them for any kind of desktop scenarios or deployments.
Every project I have been on with Sovereign Systems has been excellent. Weekly calls, if not more, are set up and everyone involved has always been in attendance, even sales. The PM and engineers always have their info together and organized. I have been extremely impressed with how they run the projects that we been involved in.
Read Jason Dominy's full review

AHEAD, formerly Sovereign Systems + Data Blue Scorecard Summary

About AHEAD, formerly Sovereign Systems + Data Blue

AHEAD builds platforms for digital business. By weaving together cloud infrastructure, intelligent operations, and modern applications, we help enterprises deliver on the promise of digital transformation.

AHEAD was founded in 2007 and in 2019 merged with Sovereign Systems, and Data Blue. The services formerly available under those brands is now available from AHEAD, LLC.

AHEAD, formerly Sovereign Systems + Data Blue Competitors