Reviews (1-8 of 8)
- Extremely fast search speeds
- Great technical support team
- Willingness of the company to work with customers on pricing
- It is difficult to scale the product, considering the pricing.
- Building relevancy algorithms can get extremely expensive
- Requires thorough knowledge of Algolia's documentation and framework to optimize for performance while sticking to your budget
It may be less suited for small amounts of data since a simple algorithm can work just as well.
- Extremely fast search results
- Very easy to set up, no maintenance needed from our side
- Efficient and easy to adapt ranking formula
- Customising the react packages can be difficult. Easy to send an excessive amount of requests
- Customising ranking is restricted to prioritising factors, rather than weighting each factor individually
- Costs can escalate dramatically when you expand your traffic
- It is an ultra-fast tool that can also handle typos.
- It is super easy to implement.
- It has distributed search networks and multiple data centers.
- It is very expensive compared to elastic search which is relatively free.
- Algolia does not support iPhone and Android, unlike Sharefile and Diqify
- Algolia lacks the activity tracking and email integration
- Algolia does not have any video tutorials.
- Algolia is brain-dead simple to set up. I've implemented search with Algolia in a dozen different ways now, and it never took me longer than a few minutes to get the functionality I want. With Algolia, the only challenge is designing your search UI -- if you don't want to use their baked in UI solutions.
- Results come back incredibly fast. I'm not sure how Algolia does it, but every keystroke I make in a search field returns new results instantly. It's hard to believe that I'm searching large datasets on a remote server when it works so fast.
- Very little customization is needed for 99% of use-cases. Algolia's out of the box setup works great, and it takes no prior knowledge to set up.
- Recent pricing model changes made Algolia considerably more expensive. I understand that companies change their models all the time, but my plan almost doubled in price overnight. They let me keep my legacy plan for as long as I wanted, but I had already outgrown it, so a small increase in demand caused big price spikes. It's still cheap for what it is though.
- The documentation is generally good, but sometimes hard to navigate. I was trying to find examples of how to combine geo-queries with normal ones, and I couldn't find an example, but it wasn't actually hard to figure out.
- Some of the advanced features can be hard to understand at first. This isn't really a con, as it just means Algolia is loaded with features, but I was a bit overwhelmed the first time I tried to customize an index.
- Algolia is lightning quick -- the fastest we found
- Algolia has great tech support, tons of documentation, and many high quality ready-made plugins
- Algolia allows for a high degree of customization
- Algolia can be a bit complex -- for smaller companies or companies without many tech resources, it may be difficult to implement and use without the help of a third party
- Manually manipulating search results (for specific queries having listings show up first) is a bit difficult to do without custom developing that functionality
Smaller companies with less tech resources may find Swiftype somewhat more user friendly to implement and use, but Algolia can definitely be plug and play if you only have one platform and can just use their out of the box plugins (Shopify, WP, etc.)
- Easy to configure indexing
- Dashboard of search results and performance
- Customer support can be lacking at times, the development team IS in France so anything escalated takes a while to resolve
- Costs escalate quickly until you hit dedicated hardware
- Index creation can be slow
Algolia Scorecard Summary
Algolia helps businesses across industries quickly create relevant, scalable, and lightning fast search and discovery experiences. Algolia’s mission is to make every search interaction meaningful and rewarding. Our hosted platform reduces the complexity of building relevant digital experiences. More than 8,000 companies like WW, Lacoste, Twitch, Medium and Stripe rely on Algolia’s enterprise-grade APIs to manage over 60 billion search queries a month.
Founded in 2012, Algolia is backed by $184M in funding from Accel Partners, Alven Capital, Point Nine Capital and Storm Ventures. The team is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Paris, London, New York, Atlanta and Tokyo. To learn more, visit www.algolia.com.
|Free / Open Source Plan||$0||per installation|
|Starter Plan||$29/mo||per installation|
|Pro Plan||$499/mo||per installation|
|Enterprise Plan||Contact Us||Varies|
Please see our pricing page for information on record and operation usage: https://www.algolia.com/pricing/
Algolia Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Algolia Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|