https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/lI/2D/SWJVCWX912QG.PNGAlpha Anywhere: An Application Development Program for Experts or BeginnersAlpha Anywhere is the Software Development platform we use to design and implement custom software packages for clients. Clients contact us when they want proprietary software to control the workflow and accounting for their businesses. In most cases, there isn't a software package available to meet their needs, so they commission our company to develop exactly what they want. Using Alpha Anywhere, we have designed applications for financial services companies, construction companies and retail store chains, to name just a few.,Our company had been creating small business applications since the 1980's, when we used DBase IV (don't laugh... that's what was available). Then, we got more "sophisticated" with Microsoft Access. Clearly, we would always be limited with what we can do with those two programs. By accident, during an Internet search, we saw and ad for Alpha Anywhere (back then, it was called Alpha V). After working with the 30 free trial for just two weeks, we retired Access, for good. The best part was Alpha's flexibility in its use of "back end" data tables. That allowed us to use existing Access tables as we redesigned the front-end program (Alpha ships with its own DBF system, but we prefer SQL-Based tables). You can choose, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Access, Paradox (actually, too many to name) for your tables. You can even create links to Excel spreadsheets or QuickBooks Tables. It's outstanding! Alpha allows developers to create very large and very complex programs. However, it's also a great choice for RAD (Rapid Application Development) for those who need to be up and running quickly or for less experienced programmers. Actually, the interface truly allows for "codeless" development of your application (more on that later). That means you can design a fully functional application, without typing a single line of code. They have some examples on their website. My favorite part of Alpha is that it is constantly adding features and functions that allow us to do more with our applications. In fact, one of my biggest problems is that I need more time to learn and practice the added features as fast as they are introduced Prior to Alpha Anywhere, we never considered creating/developing "mobile" applications (for tablets, smartphones, etc.). Alpha created a unique "panel" system that makes those application work great... and allows for the design of very sophisticated Apps.,Whenever I'm asked to criticize Alpha Anywhere, my first comment refers to the documentation. For sure, they've made some improvements, this year, but I still wish it were better. Because I moved from another development package, I really had to start learning from scratch... I've been at it, for years, and I still feel like I have a way to go. The good news is that Alpha has a very active Message Board and there are lots of people who generously give their time to answer questions and help solve problems. There's no "tech support" line to call for help. Alpha DOES offer a paid "mentoring" service, which I used, several times. Unfortunately, my experience with the mentors wasn't as positive as I hoped it would be. Alpha needs to improve its "templates" to make them more modern for users. I've never had a complaint from users, but I'd like my applications to have a newer, flashier look. Alpha advertises itself as "codeless" programming. It is! You can certainly develop an entire application without writing a single line of "code." Unfortunately, that application will be pretty basic. If you're a serious developer, you'll want to learn "javascript" and "XBasic"... it'll come in very handy, as will an understanding about how to create SQL views and queries (and, Stored Procedures), etc.,9,Alpha is our sole Development Platform. It has enabled us to contract for some pretty large jobs. AND, we are regularly told, by our customers, that our programs have helped them improve their organizations, workflows and profits.Everyone should check out Alpha Software's Alpha AnywhereUsed by the whole organization for desktop, web, mobile and SaaS application development. Provides a complete package for front and backend development.,Mobile application development with true offline capability. Low-code, rapid app development and deployment environment for building native-quality, cross platform web and mobile business applications. Cross platform mobile apps created with HTML5. Back-end database support for pretty much all the most popular SQL backends as well as NoSQL and Rest APIs.,There is no drag and drop form designer however this is not a big problem once you get used to it and through the use of genies, templates, etc.,10,Allows for a great return on investment since you can quickly become very productive and complete more projects and applications in a shorter period of time with hand coding and the normal programming headaches of PHP, C#, Angular, etc. You can afford to take on more and smaller projects since they will require far less time to complete than more traditional development environments. Alpha Anywhere is continuously updated coming out with new features and capabilities on essentially a daily basis. Continuous improvement and frequent updates allows you to always stay ahead of the curve and competitors. Alpha Anywhere allows you to offer lower cost solutions that will be completed in less time and that will be much easier to support and maintain.,Microsoft Access and FoxPro,Microsoft Access, Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft SQL Server
Windows, Linux, Mac
Alpha Anywhere

Alpha Anywhere Reviews

Alpha Anywhere
Filter 7 vetted Alpha Anywhere reviews and ratings
Phil Samuels profile photo
June 15, 2017

Review: "Alpha Anywhere: An Application Development Program for Experts or Beginners"

• Our company had been creating small business applications since the 1980's, when we used DBase IV (don't laugh... that's what was available). Then, we got more "sophisticated" with Microsoft Access. Clearly, we would always be limited with what we can do with those two programs. By accident, during an Internet search, we saw and ad for Alpha Anywhere (back then, it was called Alpha V). After working with the 30 free trial for just two weeks, we retired Access, for good. The best part was Alpha's flexibility in its use of "back end" data tables. That allowed us to use existing Access tables as we redesigned the front-end program (Alpha ships with its own DBF system, but we prefer SQL-Based tables). You can choose, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Access, Paradox (actually, too many to name) for your tables. You can even create links to Excel spreadsheets or QuickBooks Tables. It's outstanding!
  • Alpha allows developers to create very large and very complex programs. However, it's also a great choice for RAD (Rapid Application Development) for those who need to be up and running quickly or for less experienced programmers. Actually, the interface truly allows for "codeless" development of your application (more on that later). That means you can design a fully functional application, without typing a single line of code. They have some examples on their website.
  • My favorite part of Alpha is that it is constantly adding features and functions that allow us to do more with our applications. In fact, one of my biggest problems is that I need more time to learn and practice the added features as fast as they are introduced
  • Prior to Alpha Anywhere, we never considered creating/developing "mobile" applications (for tablets, smartphones, etc.). Alpha created a unique "panel" system that makes those application work great... and allows for the design of very sophisticated Apps.
  • Whenever I'm asked to criticize Alpha Anywhere, my first comment refers to the documentation. For sure, they've made some improvements, this year, but I still wish it were better. Because I moved from another development package, I really had to start learning from scratch... I've been at it, for years, and I still feel like I have a way to go. The good news is that Alpha has a very active Message Board and there are lots of people who generously give their time to answer questions and help solve problems. There's no "tech support" line to call for help. Alpha DOES offer a paid "mentoring" service, which I used, several times. Unfortunately, my experience with the mentors wasn't as positive as I hoped it would be.
  • Alpha needs to improve its "templates" to make them more modern for users. I've never had a complaint from users, but I'd like my applications to have a newer, flashier look.
  • Alpha advertises itself as "codeless" programming. It is! You can certainly develop an entire application without writing a single line of "code." Unfortunately, that application will be pretty basic. If you're a serious developer, you'll want to learn "javascript" and "XBasic"... it'll come in very handy, as will an understanding about how to create SQL views and queries (and, Stored Procedures), etc.
We use Alpha Anywhere to develop large scale business applications. So far, we haven't found any real limitations. This is exemplified by my response to my customers who frequently ask, "Is it possible..." I always interrupt them before this sentence goes any further by telling them, "with our development platform, anything's possible" (then we have to discuss whether the time/cost is worth the added benefit of what they're requesting).
Read Phil Samuels's full review
Russ Brown profile photo
September 20, 2017

Review: "Everyone should check out Alpha Software's Alpha Anywhere"

• Mobile application development with true offline capability.
  • Low-code, rapid app development and deployment environment for building native-quality, cross platform web and mobile business applications.
  • Cross platform mobile apps created with HTML5.
  • Back-end database support for pretty much all the most popular SQL backends as well as NoSQL and Rest APIs.
  • There is no drag and drop form designer however this is not a big problem once you get used to it and through the use of genies, templates, etc.
Alpha Anywhere is well suited for almost any scenario and especially rapid low-code desktop, mobile and web application development. Would not be as well suited for development shops with heavy duty code intensive native application development.
Read Russ Brown's full review

Alpha Anywhere Scorecard Summary

About Alpha Anywhere

Alpha Anywhere is a low-code, rapid mobile application development and deployment platform. According to the vendor, it is the fastest way for IT or line of business employees to build offline-capable web and mobile business apps. Alpha Anywhere can access and integrate with existing databases and web services, and can exploit built-in role-based security. Additionally, the vendor says Alpha Anywhere is designed to build applications in significantly less time than traditional coding.

The vendor says while most other mobile app development software addresses either the front-end OR the back-end, Alpha Anywhere combines all required client AND server development features. Enterprise level reporting, geo-location/mapping tools, charting, scheduling, media handling (including offloading options to the cloud) and responsive design are all built-in. This solution includes native-like quick start mobile templates right out of the box.

Alpha Anywhere Features

Has featureBuilt-in offline capability
Has featureFront-end and back-end development
Has featureData integration
Has featureSecurity framework
Has featureCoding-optional to serve a range of developer skill levels

Alpha Anywhere Screenshots