- Our company had been creating small business applications since the 1980's, when we used DBase IV (don't laugh... that's what was available). Then, we got more "sophisticated" with Microsoft Access. Clearly, we would always be limited with what we can do with those two programs. By accident, during an Internet search, we saw and ad for Alpha Anywhere (back then, it was called Alpha V). After working with the 30 free trial for just two weeks, we retired Access, for good. The best part was Alpha's flexibility in its use of "back end" data tables. That allowed us to use existing Access tables as we redesigned the front-end program (Alpha ships with its own DBF system, but we prefer SQL-Based tables). You can choose, SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, Access, Paradox (actually, too many to name) for your tables. You can even create links to Excel spreadsheets or QuickBooks Tables. It's outstanding!
- Alpha allows developers to create very large and very complex programs. However, it's also a great choice for RAD (Rapid Application Development) for those who need to be up and running quickly or for less experienced programmers. Actually, the interface truly allows for "codeless" development of your application (more on that later). That means you can design a fully functional application, without typing a single line of code. They have some examples on their website.
- My favorite part of Alpha is that it is constantly adding features and functions that allow us to do more with our applications. In fact, one of my biggest problems is that I need more time to learn and practice the added features as fast as they are introduced
- Prior to Alpha Anywhere, we never considered creating/developing "mobile" applications (for tablets, smartphones, etc.). Alpha created a unique "panel" system that makes those application work great... and allows for the design of very sophisticated Apps.
- Whenever I'm asked to criticize Alpha Anywhere, my first comment refers to the documentation. For sure, they've made some improvements, this year, but I still wish it were better. Because I moved from another development package, I really had to start learning from scratch... I've been at it, for years, and I still feel like I have a way to go. The good news is that Alpha has a very active Message Board and there are lots of people who generously give their time to answer questions and help solve problems. There's no "tech support" line to call for help. Alpha DOES offer a paid "mentoring" service, which I used, several times. Unfortunately, my experience with the mentors wasn't as positive as I hoped it would be.
- Alpha needs to improve its "templates" to make them more modern for users. I've never had a complaint from users, but I'd like my applications to have a newer, flashier look.
- Mobile application development with true offline capability.
- Low-code, rapid app development and deployment environment for building native-quality, cross platform web and mobile business applications.
- Cross platform mobile apps created with HTML5.
- Back-end database support for pretty much all the most popular SQL backends as well as NoSQL and Rest APIs.
- There is no drag and drop form designer however this is not a big problem once you get used to it and through the use of genies, templates, etc.
Alpha Anywhere Scorecard Summary
About Alpha Anywhere
Alpha Anywhere is a low-code, rapid mobile application development and deployment platform. According to the vendor, it is the fastest way for IT or line of business employees to build offline-capable web and mobile business apps. Alpha Anywhere can access and integrate with existing databases and web services, and can exploit built-in role-based security. Additionally, the vendor says Alpha Anywhere is designed to build applications in significantly less time than traditional coding.
The vendor says while most other mobile app development software addresses either the front-end OR the back-end, Alpha Anywhere combines all required client AND server development features. Enterprise level reporting, geo-location/mapping tools, charting, scheduling, media handling (including offloading options to the cloud) and responsive design are all built-in. This solution includes native-like quick start mobile templates right out of the box.
Alpha Anywhere Screenshots
Alpha Anywhere Integrations
Alpha Anywhere Competitors
|Alpha Anywhere Business||$1,499/year|
|Alpha Anywhere Business Pro||$2,499/year|
|Alpha Anywhere Enterprise||Call Us +1 781.850.4600||Volume Discounts|
Questions? Call us: +1 781.850.4600
Alpha Anywhere Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||15%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||45%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||30%|
Alpha Anywhere Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Alpha Anywhere Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, Mobile Web|
|Supported Countries:||North America, South America, EMEA, Asia Pacific|
|Supported Languages: ||International language capability|