Long Time Customer

March 02, 2020
Altaro VM backup is being used by our IT department to provide a backup of all our Microsoft Hyper V VMs stored on our three host servers.

Awesome product!

February 19, 2020

Fast and reliable VM backups

October 24, 2019

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Altaro, and make your voice heard!

Subscription License - Standard Edition

Subscription License - Unlimited Edition

Subscription License - Unlimited Plus Edition

What is Altaro?

Altaro VM Backup is a virtual machine backup and replication solution for Hyper-V and VMware environments. The vendor reports that It is used by 50,000+ businesses worldwide.

Designed for IT departments, IT resellers, IT consultants and Managed Service Providers (MSPs), the solution provides robust, streamlined, enterprise-level functionality. It’s characterized by ease of use, speed and affordability.

With its WAN-Optimized Replication and Continuous Data Protection (CDP), the vendor claim that companies can achieve minimal RPO and RTO, i.e., drastically reduce the length of time virtual machines are down and the amount of data lost when disaster strikes – to just minutes.

According to the vendor, Altaro’s Augmented Inline Deduplication slashes storage costs.

For organizations with multiple sites, Altaro provides a cloud-based management platform that gives a central view of all installations. This gives Altaro IT resellers/consultants a centralized multi-tenant view across all their customers.

The vendor promises that Altaro provides 24/7 support, with a Lightning Fast Support Call Response Guarantee of <30 seconds.

Altaro Features

Altaro Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Hyper-V, VMware
Supported CountriesWorldwide

Altaro Hyper-V Backup, from Altaro, is a data center backup and disaster recovery solution.

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 10.

The most common users of Altaro are from Small Businesses (1-50 employees) and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Martin Venter | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have used Altaro, not only internally, BUT also at our customers we support. Altaro is really a good product, and their support (when required) is super friendly and excellent support. It gives us a single pane of glass view for our customers, and give us peace of mind.
  • Backup of Hyper-V environments for me is super easy to do
  • Restoration of emails into a PST file hassle free.
  • Licensing is awesome.
  • Excellent training portal
  • I think, from my side, there is not really major issues in Altaro.
Do you have VMWare? Yes I can back it up.
Do you have Hyper-V? Yes I can back it up.
That in itself should speak for itself.
Altaro has really given a great deal into their software, not only making it easy to use, BUT also a really good and reliable product where you can support your workloads hassle-free, and super lightweight.
I think I have yet to come across any backup software where you can have an online chat with a support person from the customer's host. Let alone, their support is always there and always deliver.
We have been using Altaro Backup for all our VMs spread over all departments, setting up a backup with Altaro Backup is very easy and straightforward. It helps us with off-site locations for redundancy on weekends. It helps us to reduce RPO and also RTO with the help of CDP
  • Fast setup , no need of any documentation
  • Easy restoration and backup
  • Easy support
  • It helped us in restoring rep VM which was saved with huge time invested for data backups
This software is specially designed for IT industries like IT consultants, IT resellers, and managed service providers.
I used Altaro VM Backup at one of our remote divisions that utilized Windows Server Hyper-VMs. The VMs were hosted on Hyper-V servers, but there was no backup for the VMs themselves, just the files on the VMs were backed up on-site and off-site. I downloaded and installed Altaro's trial to see whether or not their software would be of any benefit.
  • Verification of successful backups
  • Full backups of VMs for disaster recovery
  • Option of having multiple backup restore points
  • I had some issues with the initial setup, and getting the clients to sync with backup software.
  • Had issues trying to save the backups to a NAS. It eventually worked, but it didn't seem very intuitive.
Altaro VM Backup is great if you have 1 or 2 VMs that aren't backed up by any other means. I initially had some issues with setting it up so it backed up to a NAS, and sometimes the host wouldn't sync to the client. There probably wouldn't be an issue if the host system is the backup location. The interface and configuration were pretty intuitive and gave you a lot of information on the status of your backups.
Altaro VM Backup is being used for my company. All VMs are backed up to a central location.
  • Fast, reliable backup
  • Easy restore of whole VMs
  • Good price/ value
  • Backup speed could be better
Backing up VMs to different locations.
Altaro VM Backup does what it is supposed to and is very reliable for a very good price.
We use Altaro VM backup to backup one physical host with 5 virtual machines. It is used to backup our entire organization across all of our departments. It addresses the need to have up to date backups of all of our information. We additionally have file-level backups but this allows us to restore an entire machine if necessary.
  • Reliable.
  • Easy restore jobs.
  • Notifications when jobs fail.
  • Can get pricey if you want replication.
  • Can get pricey if you want cloud backups.
  • Doesn't automatically update.
While I am not an IT professional, I can get around and do a lot of things. For a novice user like myself, the UI is fairly straightforward and easy to set-up and manage. If I was delving into more detailed backups and replication (not currently using) I still believe that a novice user like myself would be able to manage. Pricing based on host and not VMs is attractive for the end-user. If you had your VMs stored on a number of different hosts, it could get pricey.
In the handful of times I have needed support, they were helpful and straight-forward. The system to me is very simple to use so my need for support has been limited.
March 02, 2020

Long Time Customer

Paul Tedder | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Pricing.
  • Reliability.
We have been extremely happy with Altaro and it works well for us!
I personally have never worked with the support team so I will not rate, however, our rep who does has reported that it has been good.
February 19, 2020

Awesome product!

I've been in the IT industry for 9 years, and I've used many different backup solutions and I would say this is the best back up solution that I've ever used. We are using this product to back up all of our servers across the globe. It is very easy to use and really easy to manage.
  • File granular restores.
  • Very user-friendly.
  • Faster maintenance mode.
Altaro is easy to use and operate.
Support has a fast response time and is always available.
We needed a quick solution to backup VM in a HyperV environment with many different kinds of VM and operating systems. We started to test a few solutions, and finally, we've found Altaro Hyperv Backup. A solution that was really fast to set up and use that definitively answers the solution.
  • Fast setup and configuration.
  • UNC path as Backup repositories.
  • Single file restore is not included in the 2 VM free edition.
  • Can't restore a single SQL database, you have to restore the entire VM.
I would recommend Altaro because if you have one, two or 100 HypverVs you can quickly deploy the solution from a central management console to all of your hosts and allow you to set up the basic settings and start to back up all of your VM in no more than one hour.
One of the most important benefits of the Altaro HyperV backup solution is the support. From the free edition, you're able to chat with the support that can assist you in a remote session an find a quick solution that solves the issue. It is always available. The email support is also.
We use Altaro VM Backup to back up every virtual machine for all departments. We back up to a DAS, and then replicate to another Altaro server at a second location. The backup and process are very simple and quick. We can manage all those backups via the Altaro Cloud feature, sending reports and metrics on the backup, like disk space, deduplication, etc.
  • Backup Hyper-V VM.
  • Deduplication the backup.
  • We had issues while backing up to a file share, lots of errors.
  • When the datastore is too big, it can corrupt.
If you are backing up a small number of VMs, want to play with retention and replication offsite, this is an incredibly easy-to-use product. I could set up in hours and get it running and ready, you just need to understand how to assign retention, and schedule, and there you go.

If you want to back up a large number of VMs, you will see those policy assignments becoming a pain, and you may face corruptions.
The chat is very responsive. They work hard to find you a solution. They are very competent and very friendly. Most of the time they will simply open a request for you and ask to send the support package (bunch of logs and files) and will come back by email, but you can also click on the chat button inside Altaro to talk to someone.
  • Altaro VM Backup was chosen as our backup solution for our physical VM host servers to backup the many virtual machines we had. We wanted this solution as the setup was fast and straightforward, and we were backing up within 10 minutes! It also helped that the product was very reasonably priced, and licensing was simple to understand.
  • Restoring is also super comfortable, with various options to restore as a clone for quick testing, restore individual virtual disks, or maybe restore just some files or exchange items. Or failing that, if you don't have time to do a complete restore, boot from the backup. Altaro VM Backup can also be set to test and verify backups, so you know that you have valid backups on hand.
  • The licensing covers either VMware or Hyper-V HyperVisors are making it easy to learn one product and use it across various platforms.
  • Over the years, a constant stream of added features or enhancements has been made to ensure this product is relevant and adding value. Some of the notable improvements/features added have been Data Deduplication, Offsite copies (remote Altaro and now Azure) with WAN acceleration (Altaro server), Constant Data Protection, Cloud management, and many more.
  • Fast and simple setup. I didn't need to read through ANY documentation to set up and have a backup running.
  • Easy and cost-effective licensing. I didn't need to count CPU's or VM's or other random facts to work out my licensing. Just how many hosts, and then one of 3 feature levels of which two have unlimited VM licensing. Hosts x Feature Set = Cost.
  • Easy Restores. Backing up is one thing, but restoring and having confidence in the restore is another. It just works, simple and effective.
  • Help is easy to find if you need it. From within the app, it gives you options of email, phone, and live chat, which is usually available even with odd time zones in play.
  • More cloud-based storage options. Currently, only Azure is supported, which is excellent, but it would be good to have AWS and Google storage options too.
  • It would be AWESOME if they could do a restore from Azure cloud direct to an Azure VM instance. Currently, you need to set up an Azure VM machine with nested Hyper-V, install Altaro on that, and then restore into a nested VM, this gets crazy expensive.
  • Better notification of errors, or more around having a threshold, so if it misses one backup of a constant backup that happens every 5 minutes but recovers at the 10 minutes back, it is ok. Just think it needs to identify significant or long-running issues better than the occasional little issues.
  • Within our SMB space, it is a perfect solution as it's simple to set up and use for either VMware or Hyper-V hosts. The licensing is simple to understand, and purchasing is secure either direct from Altaro VM Backup or via their worldwide resellers.
  • The options for where to backup is good, local USB drives, network drives, offsite Altaro VM Backup server, and recently Azure cloud storage.
  • Testing of backups is easy, restore as clone, start Altaro VM Backup and check it (it disables the network on these) for accuracy and function.
  • Data Deduplication means less storage than is being backed up, even with versioning enabled.
  • The only scenario I'm not sure of its suitability would be when there are lots of physical hosts. Where it may be cumbersome track and control many physical hosts, Although Altaro has its Cloud Management Console to do precisely that. I haven't used this, so can't provide much insight.
  • Luckily I have only had to use support two times since using Altaro VM Backup for more than five years. Both times was quick and easy to get some information and links to the relevant KB articles they had to resolve my issue.
  • Last time I contacted support, they also gave me an option to do a remote session so they could help resolve the issue for me.
October 25, 2019

Altaro - Great Value

Calin Popescu | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, we use Altaro in a test environment. The backup solution provided by Altaro - with respect to the VM backup only works phenomenally well for VM backup systems. Their update to connect to Azure cloud storage for off-site backup storage is something that was lacking and is very welcomed as cloud backup is the most reliable way to protect against Ransomware attacks.
  • VM Backups - very strog
  • Sandbox - system has tools to test restore procedures
  • Versioning - ability to choose from numerous backup versions quickly and efficiently
  • File backup - currently there is no way to backup/restore any individual files
  • Bare Metal - Altaro is great at VM backups, but no bare metal capabilities
Altaro brings value to any organization that has numerous VMs (either Hyper-V or VMWare). It is easy to setup and to maintain. The web portal can be accessible from anywhere giving System Administrators and Backup Operators an easy way manage the backup solution.
At this time the support for Altaro has not been tested by our organization. There has not been a need to contact support much as every system tested performed as expected and all access to the required systems is simple. However, the few times where support was contacted (generally for questions on ability of the software), support was good.
It is currently being used by the IT department. We have several VM servers in production, and we have set Altaro to backup the VMs on a nightly basis. Over the weekend, we have it sent to an off-site location for redundancy.
  • Fast VM backups
  • File-level restores
  • WAN backups
  • Easier to manage console
  • Automate multiple off-site backup locations
It works great when you have several VM servers to manage and need them to be backed up. It provides statuses and notifications as well.
They are responsive and available 24 hours, they provide log files that help them remedy the issues more rapidly. They also provide a very thorough knowledge base that is very easy to maneuver through and find common issues that help you get back on track. They have live chat as well.