Android Studio Reviews

Chiyars Malhotra profile photo
I am an Android developer at Mealocity Foodtech. I've held this position for more than 2.5 years. Since I learned Android, I am using Android Studio in my learning stage and also at my company.

Basically our company is a food aggregation company based in Mumbai, India and we are providing websites, Android applications and iOS applications for our clients as per their customization needs. So for Android applications we are only using Android Studio.

Android Studio is being used by our Mobile Development Department only.

Android Studio is solving our needs that are necessary for Android Development. We are, in fact, using Android Studio for Java development, Kotlin development, and Flutter development also.
  • Android Studio is the only software currently available in the market for Android development.
  • Before Android Studio people were using Eclipse. Currently, most of the developers are using Android Studio due to the following points.
  • Gradle file.
  • Inbuilt Android Virtual Device to test Android applications.
  • Android Debug Bridge.
  • Support of Geny Motion for low configured systems.
  • Easy to use and easy to understand Interface.
  • Available for cross-platform use for Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.
  • Open-source software.
  • It comes with 24x7 Google support and JetBrains support to resolve problems.
  • Android Studio is very handy for Android development due to its self-creating or destroying coding enhancing techniques.
  • Android Studio needs a very high amount of RAM and a high-end processor to run smoothly, which can't be affordable for everyone.
  • Updates in Gradle files can sometimes come up with a hectic improvement in whole code, which can lead us to improve some code and consume precious time.
  • Multitasking is very difficult in Android Studio due to its heavy consumption of resources.
It is useful in the following scenarios.
1. For Android development when you use Java as your front-end language.
2. For Android development and Kotlin development when you use Kotlin as an alternative to Java as your front-end language.
3. For Android development when you use Flutter and Dart as in your front-end development.
4. For Java development.
Read Chiyars Malhotra's full review
Tharanga Wickramsinghe profile photo
Android Studio is the best Integrated Development Environment for android application development projects. I have been using it for several years because it facilitates different features, which helped me in developing applications in a better and easy way. Deploying applications in Android Studio is straightforward. So, I have a favorable impression of Android Studio.
  • The most exciting thing is the auto-completion facility of this IDE.
  • Also it has a very good community support for the user.
  • It takes a lot of memory space to install the IDE.
  • Heavy application and will slow down PC performance.
It is very suitable for creating native Android applications. It suggests syntaxes, as well as highlights them in different colors. It helps me with speedy coding. There are many extensions available. It can also handle large enterprise applications easily.
Read Tharanga Wickramsinghe's full review
Barry Burd profile photo
I use Android Studio in my dual capacity as both a teacher and an author. I teach computer science at a liberal arts college, and I write books on Android and Flutter app development. The only others in my organization who use Android Studio are students in some of my courses. For my work writing Android app development books, Android Studio is the only reasonable alternative. (As far as I know, the number of Android developers who don't use Android Studio is near zero.) For development in Flutter, I use Android Studio because I've been told that it's the most mature platform for Flutter development. I have reason to believe this because Android Studio and Flutter come from the same company; namely, Google.
  • Features customized for Android and Flutter development. For example, it has Java-to-Kotlin translation for Android and easy widget wrapping for Flutter.
  • Good refactoring tools.
  • Highly customizable.
  • Unlike Eclipse, Android Studio has no concept of a workspace. Each window houses only one project. It's not very easy to jump between projects.
  • Android Studio isn't lightweight. It consumes lots of memory and takes lots of time to perform certain tasks.
  • I frequently see ignorable messages telling me that Android Studio has encountered an error (an error in the IDE, not an error in my code). I've never bothered to find the source of these messages because the messages go away quickly, and they don't keep me from running my code.
Android Studio is the official IDE for Android App development. If you're writing Android apps, you have to use Android Studio. (Maybe there are some other IDEs but I've never seen anyone use any others.) For Flutter development, I intend to try VS Code and some other environments when I have time. I'm told that other environments are useful but not as feature-rich.
Read Barry Burd's full review
Marcelo Araujo profile photo
Android Studio is used only by me here in the development department. It allows me to build some Android applications and test some functionalities. I use it here because some of our products have Android SDK implementation, so I have to test it. I also use Android Studio to build my own projects.
  • Android IDE made by Google
  • Easy to install
  • Easy to configure
  • It consumes a lot of memory.
  • Android emulator could be better.
  • Hot Reload does not work well sometimes.
Android Studio is a good tool for Android development. It gives you a lot of resources for building and testing your app. It could be more optimized. It consumes a lot of memory on your computer. The Hot Reload functionality does not work very well and the Android emulator must be improved.
Read Marcelo Araujo's full review
Andrew Turner profile photo
I use Android Studio to create software on the google play store and for websites.
Primarily, I use Android Studio to create applications that are simple forms to fill out for a financial calculation. I am able to start a tab-based app or another simple template. I must use java or Kotlin with Android Studio. It is important to install the open JDK on the Oracle site. Also, the Android image for the emulator must be installed. Most of this is handled by Android Studio.
I have made an app template that I can sell for 100 USD using Android Studio.
The layout of text boxes and number boxes is easy once you learn to click the very small buttons. For example, Android Studio is a lot like Adobe Premiere, in a way.
You can visualize the performance of the app using a play timeline viewer of your threads running in your app. This is a great feature. Another standout is the smooth emulation process.
It was easy to make an app with android studio, but it is also hard to master. It comes with the study of MVC and also android intents.
  • Visualization.
  • Emulation.
  • Code hints.
  • Intellisense.
  • Google Play publisher.
  • App Engine publisher.
There’s not a lot of competition in this space. Compared to Visual Studio and Unity it falls short. Please read my review entitled "make a game and sell it on Google play with unity".

Specifically, Android Studio stands out by showing the CPU memory and network usage of your application as it launches over time. One specific part where Android Studio could improve is the overall package manager. Compared to Visual Studio it does not have the IntelliSense feature.
Read Andrew Turner's full review

Android Studio Scorecard Summary

About Android Studio

Android Studio is an official Android development integrated development environment (IDE) for mobile application development in the Android operating system developed by Google. Android Studio is based on Jetbrains' IntelliJ IDEA IDE.

Android Studio Technical Details