Android Studio

Android Studio Reviews

Do you work for this company? Learn how we help vendors

I use Android Studio as my primary development tool for the Android platform. Having previously used other cross-platform tools, such as Xamarin and Adobe Cordova, I have found that nothing beats native Android apps written using the official IDE for the platform. Google and Jetbrains have poured a lot of time, money, and effort into making this the fastest and easiest way to develop apps on Android.
  • Support for developing in either the emulator or a device means I can quickly diagnose platform specific issues
  • The support for Kotlin and Java is stellar, with projects easily containing both types of code with ease
  • Hot reload support means that I can quickly test changes without waiting for a length build and optimization process
  • Excellent cross platform support means I can develop on macOS, Windows, or Linux without losing functionality between platforms
  • Slow performance on older PCs means that you should develop only on the latest hardware
  • Project opening involves a long indexing and warm up process, meaning that a quick peek at an old project can result in a wait of a few minutes
  • Initial build times can be very long, although these have been slowly improving in recent versions of Android Studio
Android Studio is the only platform you should consider for Android development. I have found that nothing else comes close in terms of documentation or support. There is always the temptation to develop for Android using a cross platform toolkit, such as Xamarin, but unless your app is incredibly simple, you will find your self wrestling with the toolkit more than actually creating your product.

If you have any Android projects still in Eclipse, you should upgrade these to Android Studio - the backwards compatibility for older versions of Android is very good, with issues only occurring with debugging on older (Lollipop or below) devices.

The only scenario Android Studio is not suitable for is cross-platform development. There is no way to share code between iOS, macOS, or Windows projects with Android Studio, unless you are developing a game in C++. If you wish to develop cross platform mobile apps, I suggest Microsoft Visual Studio.
Ahmed Anwar Nasr | TrustRadius Reviewer
Android Studio is used at our organization as the main Integrated Development Environment for developing Android apps.
It's also used by quality control engineers for writing and running automated tests for these applications.
  • The UI Designer which enables you to create consistent UI by drag/drop actions
  • Integration with ADB for debugging on real devices
  • Integration with multiple test frameworks for running tests straight from the IDE
  • Absolutely none. If you asked me 4 years ago I would have written a long list, all of which is fixed now
Android studio is the only and bests Integrated Development Environment out there for anyone who is developing, maintaining, debugging or testing an Android application. Whether it's written in Java, Kotlin or both, Android Studio will help you get the job done.
The only exception in my opinion is if you're a Java developer and already use IntelliJ IDEA, then you can get away with simply installing the Android plugin and SDK and you won't be missing out on much since Android Studio is based on IntelliJ (there are a million guides on the internet on how you can do this)
Nitish Sharma | TrustRadius Reviewer
We've been creating Android applications with Android Studio for a few years now.
Our department makes use of it.
I'd say it solves a lot of difficulties that android developers come across while developing apps, such as offering recommendations when writing code, providing an inbuilt android emulator for testing the apps that we're developing, and so on.
It is the most suitable platform for making android applications.
  • Because it is now an optimized application, the booting time has decreased significantly, which is a very beneficial thing if you are a person who shuts down their system frequently.
  • Once you type something, Android studio's Kotlin and Java intelligence makes recommendations about the code you'll write and you can choose from those suggestions which save a lot of time while coding.
  • Android Studio provides a logcat tool that helps us as developers figure out where the runtime error is originating from.
  • I've often had 'gradle build failed' problems while using it, which I is due to my system's lack of RAM. And each time this error occurs, I have to reduce the amount of the allocated heap size in the gradle.build file to resolve the problem. I'd want the app's creators to improve the software's optimization so that these problems don't occur on systems with less RAM.
  • When using the USB debugging option, the android studio takes a long time to compile, build, and eventually execute the application on our own Android devices, which I believe wastes a lot of time and could be improved.
  • In my opinion, the UI of Android Studio is not up to par, and I would want the UI/UX designers to make it appear more beginner-friendly.
I believe it is the greatest software in the market for building Android applications if you're using core java and kotlin, along with XML and no other application can beat it.
However, if you're creating an application with a framework like Flutter or dart, I believe android studio isn't the best choice and one should go for official Flutter or dart application.
We are using Android Studio to develop android apps for internal use and external publication. This is a very standard way to build the packages we are using, and it allows us to do all the things we want to do, such as code signing, apk verification, standard and debug builds, etc.
  • automated code signing
  • build
  • interface to gradle builds
  • usability with various packages is always a question mark
  • so much freedom to alter things that stuff goes non-standard in a hurry
It's probably just the best, most standard, easiest to use build system for android that exists. It has a ton of features and doesn't really lack in any. Any stuff it is missing is gradually being added by the community authors, and community support is a really big thing for us.
Andrew Turner | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Android Studio to create software on the google play store and for websites.
Primarily, I use Android Studio to create applications that are simple forms to fill out for a financial calculation. I am able to start a tab-based app or another simple template. I must use java or Kotlin with Android Studio. It is important to install the open JDK on the Oracle site. Also, the Android image for the emulator must be installed. Most of this is handled by Android Studio.
I have made an app template that I can sell for 100 USD using Android Studio.
The layout of text boxes and number boxes is easy once you learn to click the very small buttons. For example, Android Studio is a lot like Adobe Premiere, in a way.
You can visualize the performance of the app using a play timeline viewer of your threads running in your app. This is a great feature. Another standout is the smooth emulation process.
It was easy to make an app with android studio, but it is also hard to master. It comes with the study of MVC and also android intents.
  • Visualization.
  • Emulation.
  • Code hints.
  • Intellisense.
  • Google Play publisher.
  • App Engine publisher.
There’s not a lot of competition in this space. Compared to Visual Studio and Unity it falls short. Please read my review entitled "make a game and sell it on Google play with unity".

Specifically, Android Studio stands out by showing the CPU memory and network usage of your application as it launches over time. One specific part where Android Studio could improve is the overall package manager. Compared to Visual Studio it does not have the IntelliSense feature.
The community re-responsiveness is excellent on stack overflow.
I am the lead developer for a medical device company and we decided to write our app in Flutter. I have found that Android Studio is the best app for Flutter development. We use Android Studio exclusively as our IDE of choice and it fills all of our business needs.
  • Perfect for both Android and Flutter development
  • Has a great set of plugins for specific needs
  • Has a nice look and feel and a great layout
  • More improvement with the Android emulator functionality
  • More improvement with the database explorer functionality
Android Studio is a great mobile development IDE. I have found it is the best for both Android and Flutter development. It is created by JetBrains, so any developer used to their products, such as IntelliJ IDEA, will find themselves right at home with this IDE. It is very intuitive so it is a good choice for people needing to learn an IDE quickly.
[Android Studio is] being used mostly by the engineering team, and that too specifically by the Android engineers coding in Kotlin / Java, along with the Product Management and Quality Analyst teams. Since it's an app development tool, it doesn't find any use case with the non technical departments and is only used by technology teams.
  • Quick to learn and easy to use
  • Debugging is super easy
  • Open source
  • Needs high performance system/laptop
  • Leads to crashes on most basic windows laptops as it takes a lot of RAM
  • Need to make system level changes to let Flutter work with this
[Android Studio is] best suited for beginners and even intermediate developers as it offers complete assistance and highlights errors and suggestion to improvise the code. It even predicts the code with a good level of accuracy to help the developer who are new. It's. It well suited for large scale teams as it needs high performing systems as well as it's not the optimum tool for collaboration coding. Though you could integrate with git and make it work, but other solutions might be better for large scale teams.

I have been using Android Studio for the past three years. It is used across the whole team in our company. Android Studio is the official IDE for Android application development. This contains many tools for building and testing your Android app very effectively. Studio is available in Windows, Linux and Mac OS and it is completely free to use.
  • Android Studio can be used to develop quality applications in Android devices such as Phone, Tablet, Wearable, TV and Android Auto.
  • Support for C/ C++ code using Android NDK.
  • Support for different testing tools and frameworks.
  • Android Studio is not light weighted. It cannot be used on low configuration machines.
  • Emulator is very slow.
  • Takes too long to build and run.
Android Studio is one of the best IDEs for Android app development. It has a lot of useful features such as Emulator, Android NDK, Plugins, Code hints, Java to Kotlin conversion, etc. But there needs to be more improvements and optimization. Android Studio needs powerful machines to run smoothly. This is where Studio becomes less appropriate.
Aleksei Jegorov | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Android Studio every day and it helps me a lot to develop native Android applications on Java or Kotlin languages. Our company has different customers, we create applications by request. Company has different departments, mobile is one of them. To be honest, Java language is no longer popular for native applications, Kotlin sits in first place, but Android Studio supports both of them. Android Studio contains every feature developers want or would expect, because product has reached the 4th version.
  • Supports Gradle instead of Maven.
  • Debug mode is excellent.
  • Android Studio is not the unique product for Android development. IntelliJ IDEA is good for it too.
  • It is open source software.
  • No need to pay, free of charge product.
  • It supports big community of other android developers.
  • Provide Java to Kotlin code auto translation.
  • Cold start. We need some time to open Android Studio.
  • It requires a lot of memory for reliable work and powerful processor, for example in case of work with layout editor...
  • First build could take a minutes, second build of the same application will be fast.
Android Studio is intended to be used for creation of Android applications. It could be based on Java, Kotlin or Flutter/Dart languages.
In case of usual Java back-end, use JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA or Eclipse.

Android Studio updates quite often, new features and fixes never stop. They have a big community of developers, so many forums and blogs. A lot of people participate and support.
Mary Paula | TrustRadius Reviewer
From my University life, I started developing mobile applications. Most of the smartphone companies made thousands of Android mobile devices, including Android watches, TV boxes and many more. Android is fully customizable mobile operating system developing by Google. Android Studio is developed by Google and it allows users to develop Android applications compatible with any of the devices. Android Studio is always up to date.
  • Comes with Emulator facilities.
  • Updates with latest Android libraries and technologies.
  • Open source and fully free to use.
  • Getting more processing power to run for both developing IDE and Emulator.
  • The updating process is very slow.
Android Studio provides 100% of pure Android application development facilities to the developer.
Android Studio's flexibility and reliability are very high. The developer does not need real devices to run the applications.
Android Studio has been used by us to develop a modern UI for android applications. It makes development very easy and robust. Virtual Emulator within the Android Studio makes it easier to debug the application along with the development. We have been using Android Studio for 1-2 years in order to develop Android applications projects.
  • It is very lightweight and resource management is done pretty well in this IDE.
  • It boots up very fast as compared to other development IDEs.
  • It is not a memory hungry IDE.
  • Even novices can work with this IDE very easily.
  • Emulator starts very slow in Android Studio, maybe that is the area where it needs improvement.
I would like to recommend that bot professional and even novice android application developers use Android Studio as a development IDE. It is free to use and easily available over the Internet. Moreover, It comes with a pre-installed Android Emulator to test applications. It is very easy to use and facilitates the feature of drag and drop android components as well. An XML parser is very good in this IDE.
Overall support for Android Studio is quite good. As the project is maintained by Google itself, frequent updates are usually made to Android Studio to keep the IDE update and bug-free. Many community forums are also available to help developers across the world if they face any issue.
Chiyars Malhotra | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am an Android developer at Mealocity Foodtech. I've held this position for more than 2.5 years. Since I learned Android, I am using Android Studio in my learning stage and also at my company.

Basically our company is a food aggregation company based in Mumbai, India and we are providing websites, Android applications and iOS applications for our clients as per their customization needs. So for Android applications we are only using Android Studio.

Android Studio is being used by our Mobile Development Department only.

Android Studio is solving our needs that are necessary for Android Development. We are, in fact, using Android Studio for Java development, Kotlin development, and Flutter development also.
  • Android Studio is the only software currently available in the market for Android development.
  • Before Android Studio people were using Eclipse. Currently, most of the developers are using Android Studio due to the following points.
  • Gradle file.
  • Inbuilt Android Virtual Device to test Android applications.
  • Android Debug Bridge.
  • Support of Geny Motion for low configured systems.
  • Easy to use and easy to understand Interface.
  • Available for cross-platform use for Windows, MacOS, Linux, etc.
  • Open-source software.
  • It comes with 24x7 Google support and JetBrains support to resolve problems.
  • Android Studio is very handy for Android development due to its self-creating or destroying coding enhancing techniques.
  • Android Studio needs a very high amount of RAM and a high-end processor to run smoothly, which can't be affordable for everyone.
  • Updates in Gradle files can sometimes come up with a hectic improvement in whole code, which can lead us to improve some code and consume precious time.
  • Multitasking is very difficult in Android Studio due to its heavy consumption of resources.
It is useful in the following scenarios.
1. For Android development when you use Java as your front-end language.
2. For Android development and Kotlin development when you use Kotlin as an alternative to Java as your front-end language.
3. For Android development when you use Flutter and Dart as in your front-end development.
4. For Java development.
First of all Android Studio was developed by JetBrains Inc. which is the best software making company in the world. Second thing is that Android Studio comes up with the support of Google itself.
Android Studio is the best Integrated Development Environment for android application development projects. I have been using it for several years because it facilitates different features, which helped me in developing applications in a better and easy way. Deploying applications in Android Studio is straightforward. So, I have a favorable impression of Android Studio.
  • The most exciting thing is the auto-completion facility of this IDE.
  • Also it has a very good community support for the user.
  • It takes a lot of memory space to install the IDE.
  • Heavy application and will slow down PC performance.
It is very suitable for creating native Android applications. It suggests syntaxes, as well as highlights them in different colors. It helps me with speedy coding. There are many extensions available. It can also handle large enterprise applications easily.
There is a great support community out there for users!
I use Android Studio in my dual capacity as both a teacher and an author. I teach computer science at a liberal arts college, and I write books on Android and Flutter app development. The only others in my organization who use Android Studio are students in some of my courses. For my work writing Android app development books, Android Studio is the only reasonable alternative. (As far as I know, the number of Android developers who don't use Android Studio is near zero.) For development in Flutter, I use Android Studio because I've been told that it's the most mature platform for Flutter development. I have reason to believe this because Android Studio and Flutter come from the same company; namely, Google.
  • Features customized for Android and Flutter development. For example, it has Java-to-Kotlin translation for Android and easy widget wrapping for Flutter.
  • Good refactoring tools.
  • Highly customizable.
  • Unlike Eclipse, Android Studio has no concept of a workspace. Each window houses only one project. It's not very easy to jump between projects.
  • Android Studio isn't lightweight. It consumes lots of memory and takes lots of time to perform certain tasks.
  • I frequently see ignorable messages telling me that Android Studio has encountered an error (an error in the IDE, not an error in my code). I've never bothered to find the source of these messages because the messages go away quickly, and they don't keep me from running my code.
Android Studio is the official IDE for Android App development. If you're writing Android apps, you have to use Android Studio. (Maybe there are some other IDEs but I've never seen anyone use any others.) For Flutter development, I intend to try VS Code and some other environments when I have time. I'm told that other environments are useful but not as feature-rich.
The IntelliJ community is quite open. I've met many of the company's developers at conferences. They work closely with the stewards of Android and Flutter.
Marcelo Araujo | TrustRadius Reviewer
Android Studio is used only by me here in the development department. It allows me to build some Android applications and test some functionalities. I use it here because some of our products have Android SDK implementation, so I have to test it. I also use Android Studio to build my own projects.
  • Android IDE made by Google
  • Easy to install
  • Easy to configure
  • It consumes a lot of memory.
  • Android emulator could be better.
  • Hot Reload does not work well sometimes.
Android Studio is a good tool for Android development. It gives you a lot of resources for building and testing your app. It could be more optimized. It consumes a lot of memory on your computer. The Hot Reload functionality does not work very well and the Android emulator must be improved.
The support of the community is very good. You can find many solutions on sites like StackOverflow and Brazilian sites like GUJ, for example. Google documentation about Android Studio is very good too. I have some Android developer friends, so they have the knowledge to support me when I need it.

Android Studio Scorecard Summary

What is Android Studio?

Android Studio is an official Android development integrated development environment (IDE) for mobile application development in the Android operating system developed by Google. Android Studio is based on Jetbrains' IntelliJ IDEA IDE.

Android Studio Pricing