https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/kC/YF/6R3J2LMF6J0T.PNGIf you need flexibility at a great price, and you don't need online collaboration, OpenOffice is for youWe use OpenOffice in most of our divisions, typically as a translator/swiss army knife for opening almost any file type and being able to work in it. We're a consulting firm, so we get lots of documents from all of our various different clients, and not having to email them back and say "Hey, we can't use your files, can you send us something else" keeps us looking professional. It also lets us do some neat tricks that other document suites don't - like being able to directly edit .dbx files in calc - things that keep us ahead of the curve.,The number one strength of OpenOffice is the flexibility it gives. We can open any file type, save any file type - it's pretty much invincible. Even if we're going to work on this in a different program, just being able to open some of these ancient files that we get from local city governments is a huge win for us. It's also administrator friendly - I'll use it a lot on the road because the licensing is so much easier to deal with than trying to check out a license from a server or make sure that everybody has internet connectivity. It just looks pretty! It's legitimately a quality product, the layout looks good, it's not nearly as pushy as "other suites," and for the money it's the best!,I would like to see more inclusive design - things that make accessibility a priority. Some of our users are older or vision impaired, and being able to include them is important to us. This is nit-picky, but I don't like how it opens the startup menu every time - like you open a program, and it opens the overall menu. So, for example, I want to work on a database file in calc, so I open up calc - the first thing it does is say "which of these programs would you like to work with?" I just opened Calc - that's what I want, why are you asking me if I want to edit a presentation? For whatever reason, formatting can sometimes be a little wonky around pictures - I get that that's a thing, but man I wish someone would perfect the ability to drag and drop pictures without exploding everything else in the document, you know?,10,Well, because it's free, it's by far one of the top performing pieces of software we use in terms of ROI. We save thousands by not having to get so many licenses for other software suites. I don't know that there's much more I can add - it's completely free, and the competition charges scads more money - if you're talking about ROI, you can't get much better than dividing by zero!,Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365 and Google Drive,QGIS, ArcGIS, Adobe PhotoshopOpenOffice - Free solution for word processingI am a professional freelance photographer, so within my business, I handle all matters that require a word processor. I use OpenOffice, an open-source office productivity suite, to create any and all business-related documents: invoices, receipts, quotes, etc. I do not have the need to create more complicated documents or presentations, so I can move through the administrative part of my day with ease and no cost.,OpenOffice is free and fully functional. When I bought my first Macbook, I did not want to pay additionally for Microsoft Word or any other processing software. I found OpenOffice as a free alternative that met all of my needs. It is easy for beginners to learn. Omitting some of the bells of whistles of Microsoft Word (for example), leaves it super user friendly but still powerful enough to get your work done. Because it is open sourced, OpenOffice is well-policed software. Anyone can suggest improvements, propose bug fixes, read about future plans, and avoid the hype of commercial software.,Though not often, the software can occasionally act glitchy: it can lag a little bit or crash altogether, though this is rare in my experience. The primary document format in OpenOffice is ODF, rather than DOC. I sometimes experience incompatibility when opening files from Microsoft DOC in OpenOffice, such as formatting errors. OpenOffice does not have a built-in grammar check tool. This can be remedied by downloading an extension, but I'd like to see it built-in.,9,OpenOffice allows me to complete all the basic needs of the administration side of my small business. Any document that I have ever needed to create, whether that is an invoice, a quote, a receipt, or even a resume, I can create easily in OpenOffice. Without software like OpenOffice, I would not be able to operate my small business in a professional manner.,Microsoft Office 365,Adobe Photoshop, Square POS, CrashPlanOOO.org -- Heavy on Office, Light on price.I have been a user of OpenOffice off and on from when it was Star OfficeSuite; at the time it was the only Office Suite for Linux systems, and today is cross-platform and highly compatible and indeed equivalent with Microsoft Office. While not being used across my current place of employment, in a previous career it was the sole office suite utilized by the business entity, selected because of its price and compatibility. With it I was able to send documents to other (larger) businesses who utilized current versions of Microsoft Office, and they were able to see the issued documents with high compatibility and no display issues.,Price: the version I used was free. Compatibility: With exception of specific tabling in the word processor and macros in the spreadsheet tool, there was perfect compatibility. System compatibility: I was able to access and use it with fairly old systems, and did not need a new or current PC to install and operate.,The system is fairly bloated. The amount of space the office suite takes up is increasingly larger and larger with each iteration. Macro support is weak. Greater XLSX and DOCX extension compatibility without required "conversions" would be good.,8,The initial cost in terms of price and time value of setup was negligible: immediate benefits. High compatibility means less troubleshooting and conversion is required, saving time. Weak macro support means that occasionally you will be required to use another suite.,Microsoft Office 2016, Coral Office and Microsoft Office,Microsoft Office 2016, Adobe Acrobat DC, Salesforce App CloudOpenOffice is fast and reliableOur university is a Microsoft partnered institute and all the department issued laptops and machines come preinstalled with Microsoft Office solutions. Since I prefer Linux Ubuntu OS, I started using Apache's OpenOffice suite. In my personal use, I found it to be an excellent alternative to Microsoft Office. In our IT department, we also experimented with OpenOffice API as part of a software tool we developed to handle document conversion process.,Apache Openoffice has some excellent features that made it an attractive tool for my personal use. It is fully compatible with all the Microsoft document types and loads much faster on certain occasions. You can easily add on additional modules to customize the software further. Being an open source community tool it is completely free of cost.,The Writer software, which is their equivalent of the Microsoft Word would often have problems importing tables and data from Excel or other spreadsheets and not render correctly. One of the things that I have repeatedly had issues with was its presentation software, Impress. Presentations developed in that tool would sometimes not display correctly in projector mode and some graphics would not show at all.,7,In my personal use, Apache OpenOffice has been a very wise decision. It is completely free and a very stable product. Our use of the OpenOffice API to handle document conversion process in a programmatic fashion was very successful as well.,Microsoft Office 365 and Prezi,Blackboard, Oracle Virtual Desktop InfrastructureApache OpenOfficeIt is being used by persons that use the Linux environment and some Windows users that like that it is open source or just prefer it to Microsoft Office. It is also being used by those who take their work home on their personal devices and want the open source version, so as to not have to buy the Microsoft version.,It is a great alternative to the high cost of Microsoft Office. It is not expensive to upgrade with every new release like Microsoft Office is. It is works on multiple platforms. There are version for Windows, Linux, and Mac.,It does not have an email client. It needs an email client like Microsoft Office has in its Outlook application in Microsoft Office. For this I would suggest getting Mozilla's Open Source Thunderbird email client. It does not have a calendar application. It needs an calendar application like Microsoft Office has built in to its Outlook application in Microsoft Office.,10,OpenOffice is an open source product. So, ROI is immediate. It works across multiple platforms such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. So, the user can have the Open Office experience accross most all of their devices. Some people do just like Microsoft Office and will not adopt anything different.,Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365 and LibreOffice,Microsoft Office 365, OneDrive, Skype, LibreOffice, Malwarebytes, Barracuda Backup, Barracuda NG Firewall, Barracuda Web Filter
Apache OpenOffice

Apache OpenOffice Reviews

Apache OpenOffice
Filter 26 vetted Apache OpenOffice reviews and ratings
Nathan Bowman profile photo
August 31, 2018

Apache OpenOffice Review: "If you need flexibility at a great price, and you don't need online collaboration, OpenOffice is for you"

• The number one strength of OpenOffice is the flexibility it gives. We can open any file type, save any file type - it's pretty much invincible. Even if we're going to work on this in a different program, just being able to open some of these ancient files that we get from local city governments is a huge win for us.
  • It's also administrator friendly - I'll use it a lot on the road because the licensing is so much easier to deal with than trying to check out a license from a server or make sure that everybody has internet connectivity.
  • It just looks pretty! It's legitimately a quality product, the layout looks good, it's not nearly as pushy as "other suites," and for the money it's the best!
  • I would like to see more inclusive design - things that make accessibility a priority. Some of our users are older or vision impaired, and being able to include them is important to us.
  • This is nit-picky, but I don't like how it opens the startup menu every time - like you open a program, and it opens the overall menu. So, for example, I want to work on a database file in calc, so I open up calc - the first thing it does is say "which of these programs would you like to work with?" I just opened Calc - that's what I want, why are you asking me if I want to edit a presentation?
  • For whatever reason, formatting can sometimes be a little wonky around pictures - I get that that's a thing, but man I wish someone would perfect the ability to drag and drop pictures without exploding everything else in the document, you know?
OpenOffice is the best for smaller offices, or offices that need flexibility and the ability to work with multiple file types. It's amazing when you're starting out and you can work without worrying about licensing, fees, or restrictive trial programs. It just works, and it works for free - which is pretty much the best case.
Read Nathan Bowman's full review
Liz Wade profile photo
March 09, 2018

Apache OpenOffice Review: "OpenOffice - Free solution for word processing"

• OpenOffice is free and fully functional. When I bought my first Macbook, I did not want to pay additionally for Microsoft Word or any other processing software. I found OpenOffice as a free alternative that met all of my needs.
  • It is easy for beginners to learn. Omitting some of the bells of whistles of Microsoft Word (for example), leaves it super user friendly but still powerful enough to get your work done.
  • Because it is open sourced, OpenOffice is well-policed software. Anyone can suggest improvements, propose bug fixes, read about future plans, and avoid the hype of commercial software.
  • Though not often, the software can occasionally act glitchy: it can lag a little bit or crash altogether, though this is rare in my experience.
  • The primary document format in OpenOffice is ODF, rather than DOC. I sometimes experience incompatibility when opening files from Microsoft DOC in OpenOffice, such as formatting errors.
  • OpenOffice does not have a built-in grammar check tool. This can be remedied by downloading an extension, but I'd like to see it built-in.
If you're looking for a free word processor and you do not need all the bells and whistles of Microsoft Office, then OpenOffice is the program for you. The software can sometimes be laggy and the design options are not quite at Microsoft level, but it is compatible with Microsoft Office file formats and there's only a small learning curve to it. If you're coming from Microsoft Office, you should be able to jump right into OpenOffice.
Read Liz Wade's full review
March 12, 2018

Apache OpenOffice Review: "OOO.org -- Heavy on Office, Light on price."

• Price: the version I used was free.
  • Compatibility: With exception of specific tabling in the word processor and macros in the spreadsheet tool, there was perfect compatibility.
  • System compatibility: I was able to access and use it with fairly old systems, and did not need a new or current PC to install and operate.
  • The system is fairly bloated. The amount of space the office suite takes up is increasingly larger and larger with each iteration.
  • Macro support is weak.
  • Greater XLSX and DOCX extension compatibility without required "conversions" would be good.
OOO is excellent for personal use or small businesses which cannot afford a Microsoft Office license. With it, you can expect high compatibility between MSO and other office suites, as well as an intuitive menu system that borrows many attributes from more widely-known office suites (particularly MS-Office).

It is a large installation, and leans heavily on JRE (Java Runtime Environment), which explains its high compatibility. Unfortunately that also means it is not optimized for the devices on which it runs, and you will find slower load/save/document conversion/export times compared to other office suites.

But the price wins. You can't compare it to others.
February 13, 2018

Apache OpenOffice Review: "OpenOffice is fast and reliable"

• Apache Openoffice has some excellent features that made it an attractive tool for my personal use.
  • It is fully compatible with all the Microsoft document types and loads much faster on certain occasions. You can easily add on additional modules to customize the software further.
  • Being an open source community tool it is completely free of cost.
  • The Writer software, which is their equivalent of the Microsoft Word would often have problems importing tables and data from Excel or other spreadsheets and not render correctly.
  • One of the things that I have repeatedly had issues with was its presentation software, Impress. Presentations developed in that tool would sometimes not display correctly in projector mode and some graphics would not show at all.
Apache OpenOffice is an ideal software for all users who prefer using Linux machines and want a fast reliable alternative for the common Microsoft Office.

It is fully compliant with the Open Document format and has full feature support for proprietary Microsoft documents as well.
January 31, 2018

User Review: "Apache OpenOffice"

• It is a great alternative to the high cost of Microsoft Office.
  • It is not expensive to upgrade with every new release like Microsoft Office is.
  • It is works on multiple platforms. There are version for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
  • It does not have an email client. It needs an email client like Microsoft Office has in its Outlook application in Microsoft Office. For this I would suggest getting Mozilla's Open Source Thunderbird email client.
  • It does not have a calendar application. It needs an calendar application like Microsoft Office has built in to its Outlook application in Microsoft Office.
Openoffice is a great Office alternative to buying Microsoft Office. It has most of the same features, such as, features that you would expect in Microsoft Office only. But, those features are there in OpenOffice, too. Things that are in OpenOffice that people may not realize might be in there are: documents, presentations, spreadsheets, word processing, databases, and graphics. It even does things like tables, frames, style management, and even mail merge. It is, however, missing email and calendar applications. There is an open source email client out there that is really good, however, it's Mozilla Thunderbird.

Apache OpenOffice Scorecard Summary

About Apache OpenOffice

Apache OpenOffice is a free open source office suite that includes six applications: Writer (word processor), Calc (spreadsheets), Impress (presentations), Draw (diagramming and graphics), Base (database), and Math (formulas).