App Annie Reviews

App Annie is a great tool to research how to grow inventory in any given market and understand current mobile trends. We are able to identify which are the major players in each geography and get a clear picture on how the market is evolving. We also use it to analyze and understand which ASO efforts we need to develop to promote our own apps to the top of the chart.
  • Very easy to use and understand. The dashboard is quite complete.
  • The free version is quite complete.
  • They send daily and weekly emails with statistics on your apps so you can understand key facts to improve its standing.
  • It's a bit expensive for a small business.
  • Their support team is a bit slow to answer on specific doubts.
  • If you are using their analytics solution to track what is happening on your app, there are other alternatives that are cheaper.
App Annie is useful if you want to get a clear view of the app market. The free version has no disadvantages. It's always useful. If you want to go premium to take advantage of the extra features, then there are a few things to analyze, as it can be a tad pricey.
Sam Lepak profile photo
We currently use App Annie as a free tool for our organization to track keyword rankings, DAUs & MAUs, and the breakdown of users and app store conversion rates so we can compare to similar tools such as AppFollow and the respective App Stores. Our internal marketing department uses App Annie to compare app data sources and understand reliable metrics.

App Annie solves problems with app store data discrepancies - specifically download volumes and conversion rates across countries.
  • App Annie connects to 3rd party paid media and ad revenue platforms extremely well. The data across our Facebook Ads and Apple Search Ads matches exactly with App Annie pulls in. This is extremely important as this helps us determine CPI and cost-per-lead from those sources with App Annie.
  • Servicing clients from multiple parts of the world, it's important to know how our app is performing outside the US App Store. With App Annie, we are able to see where our app ranks in each country's respective store and if our app is trending upward or downward.
  • Most ASO keyword tools only offer 20-30 free keywords. App Annie provides 100 free keywords if you are on the free plan. This is extremely helpful to be able to track important keywords for iOS and Android, along with looking into other countries.
  • App Annie is extremely limited if you are on the free plan. While you can garner some golden nuggets from the free plan, it's extremely difficult to make needle moving decisions based on the free data. It would be great if App Annie would disclose pricing on their website, plus have a non-free/enterprise plan were you could pick and choose features they offer.
  • After nearly considering a paid plan with App Annie, I decided not to purchase because of the broken trust that stemmed from their sales team. I often got cold-calls from their reps - even when I never contacted them for a sales member to call me. I was bombarded for about 2 weeks straight with phone calls and hard-core sales emails with just asking to talk, no questions or personalization. This cold, unwanted and unwelcome outreach solidified my decision not to purchase.
App Annie is well-suited if the main source of your revenue is through ad networks, you perform a lot of Facebook and Apple Search Ads, and you are in multiple countries' app stores. App Annie is well-suited, too, if you are looking for a free app tool to pull in app store keyword data, and compare across other ASO tools. Apart from that, if you are not looking to pay for an App Store tool, then App Annie is not the solution for you.
Read Sam Lepak's full review
November 16, 2018

App Annie User

This is a product that mostly our news department uses, but as the research director, I also use it to acquire analytics data for our sales department to use when working with paying clients who advertise on our apps.
  • The visuals in the platform are easy to read and understand and make it simple to understand the data you are looking at.
  • I find that the data in App Annie is very reliable in terms of the number of downloads we see on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
  • It gives me the ability to integrate the data here with other analytics and provide viewers and consumers good solid information on our performance.
  • I do think there are quite a few side bar options when you first login to the software. I'd like to see the features maybe more condensed.
  • For us, it would be super useful to see more zip code or county level data in the software.
  • I would like to see a PDF version offered in the export options. It would make the presentation of the chart data more appealing.
I would think for basic level app activity, this would be a great software. For more complex level data, I don't think this platform serves as well as others out there that are available.
Jason Sherman profile photo
Everyone on the marketing team uses App Annie on a daily basis because we have both an Android app and an Iphone app. In order to keep track of what our analytics are for each platform we have to log into iTunes connect and the Google Developer console every day, whereas with App Annie, we only have to log into our dashboard once (actually it stays logged in which is nice), and then check out all of our data there.
  • Download analytics
  • Store rankings
  • Countries downloaded in
  • Keyword search effectiveness
  • I'd like to be able to see where our downloads come from
  • Would be great to see if people are sharing our app
  • Not sure there is much else to improve on
I've been recommending it to everyone I know who owns a tech startup because it is crucial to understand the data for your apps, and App Annie makes it really easy to keep track of everything and export a CSV to view and save in Excel for further exploration and projections.
Read Jason Sherman's full review