https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/jy/m2/XA76GF9UT5NQ.PNGThe best there IsWe use AppFolio for all our leasing and management operations. The software is linked to our website (AppFolio is the creator and administrator) so vacancies post immediately. Everything property management is done through AppFolio such as reports, paying vendors and owners, paying management fees, collections of rents and other charges, tenant general liability insurance, sending text and emails to tenants/residents.,Support is phenomenal. Response time is great and results are immediate. By far the easiest property management software I have ever used. If mistakes are made, making corrections is extremely easy and does not clutter up reports, ledgers or other areas of the account. Posting directly to the website and other internet sites is so simple and quick. No more do I spend time inputting data in my software then again to the website and yet again to internet advertisements. Data is entered once and moved to all of these locations at the click of a button.,The calendar needs a lot of improvement. Currently it will sync with Google calendar but I would like to see it sync directly with my Outlook calendar. It would be extremely beneficial if lease expiration dates would post to the calendar OR if AppFolio would notify me in advance that a lease expiration is upcoming. I would like some sort of notification when an on-line payment is made. The ability to send group text messages and emails would be an added luxury. I would like to have the ability to add or take away from the Dashboard.,10,Before AppFolio, it would take quite a bit of time to complete the move in flow from applicant to tenant. The time saved has been termendous, reducing payroll expenses and other overhead costs. The ability to do everything on-line from applicantion to payment of fees and deposits to signing the lease has also reduced payroll expenses and other overhead. As a start-up company I am doing everything from securing new business to leasing, inspections, hiring vendors, monitoring the work of vendors, paying bills and owners. Because I can accomplish all of this from my cell phone, laptop and iPad, things get done immediately no matter where I am. Negative impact: I FIND MYSELF WORKING ALL HOURS OF THE DAY AND NIGHT. Because access is available anywhere, anytime, I cannot control myself! :),Skyline, One Site and Buildium,QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Office 365AppFolio-Friendly to all size companiesWe use Appfolio as our Property Management program to do all our leasing, accounting, and maintenance daily work. Appfolio is very user friendly and has helped us streamline our leasing and several of our accounting processes. It has increased our online availability which has helped us reach our customers all over the world. We have a lot of international students that comes to our local university and the online leasing process and tenant portal has greatly minimized the time it takes to get a lease signed and receive payment from the customer.,Their search features are awesome and it helps us find Tenants, Owners and Vendors by first name, last name, or phone number. It's great! Reporting and accounting are very simple and have streamlined several of our processes that used to take hours to do usually can be done in one hour or less. Emailing reports to Owners has now been reduced from 2 days to 1 to 2 hours-that has been a great time saver. Being mobile friendly has allow our employees and our tenants access to what they need 24/7 and almost everyone uses some kind of mobile device which has helped increase visibility for our units and helps keep our vacancy rate low. Their support team is always there to help and has been a great asset to have to rely on their help.,There is some reporting that we would like to see for our Owners and Tenants. Their vacancy report is one we wish we could pull in the tenants phone number to be able to have it on our report when we print. Maintenance also has reporting that we would like to be able to produce from the keys checked out and keys returned so we can stay on top of checking out our units better. We would also like to do reports from the inspections. Being able to print the units coming vacant at the end of any given month and printing it so we know which unit needs to have painting, cleaning and carpet cleaning done would be very helpful. Right now we export the units and copy and paste into a spreadsheet template to have what we need for our maintenance board. The process to remove misapplied rent or how to refund money to a tenant is a several step process we would like to see simplified.,10,We have been able to utilize our current employees with our growth without adding more overhead cost by having to hire more employees. The cost of the program has not really allowed us to see much of a profit on the bottom line of not having to hire more employees because as we grow our units so does the cost of the program grow. We have 2 offices several miles away from each other and Appfolio has allowed us to stay in real time in both offices because of the program being web based.,Sage 300 ERP,Sage 100 ERPAppFolio: Easy to Use, Hard to MasterWe use AppFolio to communicate with the property managers of specific clients. Most of the communication is used in reviewing and accepting budget changes and expenses that is recorded and filed through AppFolio and then transferred to the Asset Managers. It's used only by a couple people in a specific department and addresses the business problem of having multiple "telephone effect" moments between managers.,AppFolio excels at generating reports that are easy to read and understand AppFolio is also easy to use, and provides userfriendly instructions Customer support is helpful and analysts are often willing to spend much of their time to help clients learn the product,AppFolio does not have much room for customizability outside of the standard report format Licensing is sometimes a problem, though the company is friendly about using trial accounts Program often hangs on mobile devices,7,AppFolio has converted prospective clients to actual clients once they saw how my company could use the program to communicate with on-site property management teams and improve the communication and budgeting process. AppFolio is expensive, especially for a small company, so that may have had some negative impact on the ROI. Overall, AppFolio has also helped improve our ability as a company to communicate with asset manager levels.,Yardi Property Management and Argus,Oracle Access Management, Argus, Yardi Property Management, Yardi Senior Living, Oracle Berkeley DB, Oracle Database, Property Matrix, Profit Property&Casualty, PropertybaseToo many varied properties thising & thating....AppFolioAt present, AppFolio manages about 87 rental properties (single & multi-unit) throughout the US for a client. It tracks vacancies, rent, expenses, work orders, tenants (might as well throw in the kitchen sink) through to financial statements. Honestly, I do not believe these many properties could be properly tracked w/o AppFolio. My client simply loves the product. I do find that the traditional accounting section is quite a bit dated.,Tracking work orders per property. Tracking vacancies Tracking rent due/paid,Although, AppFolio has made some recent improvements to the financial statements (yeah), more flexibility and options are still needed. I know a number of peers shy away from AppFolio because the accounting section operates like accounting software in the late 80's, early 90's. Sometimes, it takes a great amount of sleuthing to find an original transaction, or retrieve more detail.,7,This is more difficult for me to answer. I do not run a property management firm. I simply use the product that my client had in place. Further, I really mostly use the accounting section.,None,QuickBooks Online, Xero, QuickBooks Premier, QuickBooks for Mac, QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions, Bill.com, TSheets, Avalara AvaTax, Hubdoc
AppFolio Property Manager

AppFolio Reviews

AppFolio
Filter 5 vetted AppFolio reviews and ratings
Robin Quick, CPM®, HCCP profile photo
December 05, 2017

AppFolio Review: "The best there Is"

• Support is phenomenal. Response time is great and results are immediate.
  • By far the easiest property management software I have ever used. If mistakes are made, making corrections is extremely easy and does not clutter up reports, ledgers or other areas of the account.
  • Posting directly to the website and other internet sites is so simple and quick. No more do I spend time inputting data in my software then again to the website and yet again to internet advertisements. Data is entered once and moved to all of these locations at the click of a button.
  • The calendar needs a lot of improvement. Currently it will sync with Google calendar but I would like to see it sync directly with my Outlook calendar.
  • It would be extremely beneficial if lease expiration dates would post to the calendar OR if AppFolio would notify me in advance that a lease expiration is upcoming.
  • I would like some sort of notification when an on-line payment is made.
  • The ability to send group text messages and emails would be an added luxury.
  • I would like to have the ability to add or take away from the Dashboard.
I can only speak for the types of properties I am currently managing, which are single-family, multi-family and small retail. AppFolio is well suited for property management of each of these. As my business grows I will be better able to determine if AppFolio will be suited for other types of property management. I feel very confident that if I have a situation arise that doesn't appear to work well with AppFolio that their development team will work to correct the problem(s).
Read Robin Quick, CPM®, HCCP's full review
Vivian McClintock profile photo
December 05, 2017

Review: "AppFolio-Friendly to all size companies"

• Their search features are awesome and it helps us find Tenants, Owners and Vendors by first name, last name, or phone number. It's great!
  • Reporting and accounting are very simple and have streamlined several of our processes that used to take hours to do usually can be done in one hour or less. Emailing reports to Owners has now been reduced from 2 days to 1 to 2 hours-that has been a great time saver.
  • Being mobile friendly has allow our employees and our tenants access to what they need 24/7 and almost everyone uses some kind of mobile device which has helped increase visibility for our units and helps keep our vacancy rate low.
  • Their support team is always there to help and has been a great asset to have to rely on their help.
  • There is some reporting that we would like to see for our Owners and Tenants. Their vacancy report is one we wish we could pull in the tenants phone number to be able to have it on our report when we print.
  • Maintenance also has reporting that we would like to be able to produce from the keys checked out and keys returned so we can stay on top of checking out our units better. We would also like to do reports from the inspections. Being able to print the units coming vacant at the end of any given month and printing it so we know which unit needs to have painting, cleaning and carpet cleaning done would be very helpful. Right now we export the units and copy and paste into a spreadsheet template to have what we need for our maintenance board.
  • The process to remove misapplied rent or how to refund money to a tenant is a several step process we would like to see simplified.
I would recommend the program to anyone that does property management. The search features and user-friendliness of the program alone has helped functionality of our company greatly. Their support is great and replies in a timely manner. Appfolio overall has helped our company be more productive and reach more customers locally and internationally with streamlined processes that have been great time savers.
Read Vivian McClintock's full review
November 29, 2017

User Review: "AppFolio: Easy to Use, Hard to Master"

• AppFolio excels at generating reports that are easy to read and understand
  • AppFolio is also easy to use, and provides userfriendly instructions
  • Customer support is helpful and analysts are often willing to spend much of their time to help clients learn the product
  • AppFolio does not have much room for customizability outside of the standard report format
  • Licensing is sometimes a problem, though the company is friendly about using trial accounts
  • Program often hangs on mobile devices
AppFolio Property Manager is best suited when there are multiple people who must receive a specific report related to the on-site property management of a specific asset. This is where it excels the most. However, it can be tricky to export the data sometimes for use in modeling. A lot of the tinkering with numbers must be done within the program rather than externally.
Christy Bertani profile photo
March 14, 2017

Review: "Too many varied properties thising & thating....AppFolio"

• Tracking work orders per property.
  • Tracking vacancies
  • Tracking rent due/paid
  • Although, AppFolio has made some recent improvements to the financial statements (yeah), more flexibility and options are still needed.
  • I know a number of peers shy away from AppFolio because the accounting section operates like accounting software in the late 80's, early 90's.
  • Sometimes, it takes a great amount of sleuthing to find an original transaction, or retrieve more detail.
If you have only 1-5 properties to manage, AppFolio might be overkill. But once you get over 10, it becomes more valuable. If you, also, have mult-unit properties, this only increases AppFolio's value. The property management side is so detailed and complete that it is well worth dealing with an antiquated accounting system.
Read Christy Bertani's full review

AppFolio Scorecard Summary

About AppFolio

AppFolio Property Manager is a cloud-based property management software that allows multifamily and single-family, commercial, student housing, homeowners and condo association, and mixed portfolio property managers to more effectively market, manage and grow their business. AppFolio includes complete accounting and property management functionality, including the ability to: provide instant access to reports & statements, post & market vacancies, apply & lease online, screen residents, streamline rent collection, mobile inspections, and more.

AppFolio Screenshots