Apple iCloud Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 29, 2020

iCloud: The Ideal Cloud Solution for Those Vested Within the Apple Ecosystem

Apple iCloud is used on a department by department basis within my organization. I would say that it is primarily utilized by the administrative and creative production teams at my place of work. My organization utilizes several cloud tools to store documents and files and iCloud is one of the premier solutions in the marketplace. I use iCloud to store, organize, and share with both internal co-workers and customers that use iCloud as their primary cloud business solution.
  • Seamless Integration with other Apple products.
  • Syncing across devices is extremely useful and reliable.
  • Pricing is very competitive.
  • Performs much more reliably on Apple devices compared to Windows or other operating systems.
  • The user interface seems to be more functional for individuals or families compared to the business world.
  • Cannot set your own encryption key.
Apple iCloud works extremely well for individuals that are subscribed to the Apple ecosystem of products. The ability to seamlessly sync across devices with one account has helped me prepare, access, and share important documents quickly and effectively across platforms. Additionally, Apple's cloud infrastructure is quite robust and I have rarely encountered issues with reliability over the five years+ of using the service.
Read Joshua Melder's full review
Gavin Scott-Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

iCloud - Should I delve into the walled garden?

I use iCloud at both work and at home. It is helpful to share information at a moment's notice and have a secure back up of information that I might need to reference as you would any cloud storage solution. Its integration with all apple products very much speeds up the ease of use for all those involved because training time is very low and it is easy for many people to understand how it all works.
  • Speed - As soon as the transfer is complete you immediately have all the information backed up to access on any computer that you desire to log into. Transferring information from your phone to this service is seamless and easy to understand.
  • Reliability - I have used iCloud ever since I've had an iPhone (over 5 years) and I never once have lost a file or document due to Apple's failure.
  • Customization - iCloud is great at the stuff it does well. But it lacks features that some competitors (in Google Drive or Dropbox) do really well. API support for third-party apps is really great for some other people.
  • Remote use - Managing or accessing information from iCloud while not on one of your logged-in apple devices can sometimes be an issue. From a work computer for example. It doable, but the experience is much less user-friendly.
iCloud is really best suited for personal or home use. iCloud for Business can be done with some customization, however, it is missing some great features that some other competitors excel at. Sharing documents with those outside the organization or file restrictions and sharing can be some of its major downfalls. I would recommend using the free version of iCloud and sharing some documents around in a fashion that you might work each day before you make the switch for your company.
Read Gavin Scott-Miller's full review
Thomas Myers | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2020

Apple iCloud does not live up to expectations, but is good for what it does

We use Apple iCloud to support our Mac operations. However, it does not do all that Dropbox does, so we use Dropbox to share folders. Apple iCloud does not have the opportunity to share folders but to share files.
  • Stores Directly without doing anything else
  • Manages Photos
  • Manages Videos
  • Sharing Folders
  • Version Control with documents
  • Ability to decide what remains on the computer - This is a big issue
  • Fills up my hard drive when Dropbox does not
If you have a mac and lots of photos, iCloud is a must. Also, it works great in the full mac environment with all files. Apple has an excellent opportunity to make this the go-to cloud environment for both Mac and PC, and I would love to see it expand there
Read Thomas Myers's full review
Justin Moore | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 04, 2020

Apple iCloud works well for a team of Mac users

Apple iCloud allows our staff can access a document and edit live so that it doesn't have to be passed around via email, and we don't need to worry about saving the most up to date version or someone being unable to open it. In contrast, someone else has the document "locked for editing."
  • Document sharing
  • Portability
  • Photo sharing
  • Better access for non-mac users
  • Outlook calendar syncing
  • Better way of handling a large number of imported contacts
If your staff or organization uses Apple products heavily, especially iPhones, iPads, and Macbooks (or any combination of these), then Apple iCloud is very handy. If your company relies on PCs, then a service like Google or OneDrive will likely serve you better as Apple iCloud doesn't seem to perform as well for our departments that are not Mac-heavy.
Read Justin Moore's full review
Matt Kennicott | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2020

Apple iCloud is the best!

I use Apple iCloud for backing up my business documents, emails, SMS/iMessages, contacts, photos, and other information. Using Apple products, including an iMac, a MacBook Pro, and an iPhone has some built-in advantages. I can pick up where I left off with all of my work on all of my other devices and have it all stored in a secure, easy to access location. This wouldn't be accomplished without iCloud. We use a traditional server environment for most of our work, but the ease of use of iCloud with the syncing across devices is a big time saver. And Apple has great built-in security that most other products do not.
  • Syncing across Apple devices is seamless. I can continue working on my iPhone in the car after having just done other work on my office iMac.
  • Security is second to none. I especially like being notified if other devices are trying to access my account.
  • iCloud, like all other Apple products, is easy to use and very user-friendly. It doesn't take much to set-up and sync what you want to be synced. And backups happen in the background so you're not bothered with prompts or cues.
  • I'm not sure I see any cons with iCloud.
iCloud is always great to use. It backs up my information seamlessly across all devices. The security that Apple provides is second to none, especially with the security alerts that are provided when devices are attempting to access the account. The ease of use is incredible - just tap on mobile devices and point and click on desktops and laptops.
Read Matt Kennicott's full review
Sandy Hinding | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2020

Apple iCloud in Education is a very useful tool

• We use Apple iCloud for staff devices to store and create cloud backups of Apple Applications.
  • We also are a 1 to 1 Pad district for many of our students, and we use Apple iCloud in our Middle Schools.
  • Students can easily access documents from their iPad, and the documents follow them if they have to use a different device.
  • Automatically store content from many common apps.
  • Easily set up managed accounts for students to use.
  • Apple provides well-written help documentation for all aspects of Apple iCloud.
  • I am not a fan of the Apple iCloud: Desktop & Documents in the cloud feature.
  • Content from some Apple Applications is challenging to move from one computer to another without the use of Apple iCloud.
For anyone who uses Apple devices, and in particular both OS X and IOS, Apple iCloud is a must. Backups are seamless, just set and forget. Access to documents from any of your devices dramatically enhances productivity. It is easy to add storage at a meager price, and also easy to downgrade your storage needs at any time if needed.
Read Sandy Hinding's full review
Rene Agredano | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Apple iCloud Gives Nomads Like Us Peace of Mind

After much debate over what kind of cloud storage to use, we use Apple iCloud to store all of our photos and videos for Tripawds.com and our other business endeavors such as writing, website management and consulting. We are full-time RV travelers and knowing that our data is safely stored in the cloud gives us the peace of mind we need as nomads.
  • Intuitive format for retrieving data.
  • Makes it easy to see if your most recent files have been backed up.
  • Integration with my iPhone layout can be clunky: I sometimes have a hard time finding out how much data we have in storage.
  • I would like to receive occasional reminders about how much storage is being used up.
As I mentioned, we are nomads and our entire life is stored in our RV. We travel year-round and used to rely on hard drives to store all of our data, while only occasionally putting backups in a storage unit in our home state. Since deciding to migrate our data storage to the cloud we have enjoyed peace of mind like never before. We also don't need to drive three states away (or more) to pull up a file we really need!

I think it's less appropriate for huge companies to rely on.
Read Rene Agredano's full review
James Hicks | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

Apple iCloud - it's worth it

I've deployed Apple iCloud across my team. Serving as an additional data repository to Google Drive. Everyone's media files (photos, mobile settings, calendars, and contacts) are automatically backed up to iCloud.
  • Ease of use/integration into the whole Apple ecosystem.
  • Mobility of data across devices (phone vs tablet vs desktop).
  • The iCloud.com interface is not as user-friendly as the competition.
Small to medium-sized collaboration and data repositories are where Apple iCloud is best suited. The platform will work across multi-OS environments but is much more suited for the Apple ecosystem.
Read James Hicks's full review
Gary Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 19, 2020

iCloud - You can't live without it

iCloud is used for calendar, contacts and other data synching. It's also the backbone of Apple's communication services with iMessage and device verification. Various Mac and iOS applications rely on iCloud for data syncing and backup. iCloud is used by my team and all of my clients for these services. Basically, if you have a Mac or iOS device, you're using iCloud.
  • Behind the scenes data sync between devices.
  • Messaging.
  • Whatever's going on with music sync is a mess. I've seen libraries deleted for no reason.
  • Prices for additional storage aren't in line with current trends.
I enjoy using iCloud to sync various types of data between apps. I can have my Transmission (FTP app) store all the logins with iCloud and they update automatically when I go to another device of mine. Same with 1Password and a host of other apps. iCloud is less robust for file sharing than Google Drive or Dropbox because while it has cloud sync, its sharing features aren't particularly well developed.
Read Gary Gray's full review
Stephanie MacMillan | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 10, 2020

Apple iCloud a must have for Apple users

Apple iCloud is used across the company when we desire to share files or folders we cannot normally share from our Microsoft Sharepoint drives. This is most often the case when sending to outsiders. We also use it to keep specific files with us on the go. iCloud is great because of its mobility and security.
  • Accessibility
  • Organization
  • Shareability
  • Customization lacking
  • Desktop organization
iCloud is well suited for simpler and more straightforward organization and file sharing practices. It is not well suited for anything more sophisticated than that due to the way it is designed and set up.
Read Stephanie MacMillan's full review
March 11, 2020

iCloud - Syncing, File Sharing, Collaboration, and more!

We use iCloud as our main source of syncing and sharing files, contacts, calendars, and more. As Mac users, as well as iPhone and iPad users, having all of my synced content at my fingers makes working easier and more efficient, and allows us to work together in automated ways. iCloud creates a safety net in the cloud in the event our machines are unavailable or are lost.
  • Syncing.
  • Sharing files.
  • Storing data in the cloud.
  • Amount of storage.
  • Business email features.
  • Custom domain connection.
I have only ever had excellent support from Apple regarding iCloud. It's been incredibly useful to sync information across multiple Macs, iPhones, and iPads. Every device that I log into has all of the synced data available and ready to use. Its ease of use is fantastic, and is only limited by the default storage that comes with it. Thankfully, you can add on for not much per month.
March 04, 2020

Great Piece of Mind for Inexpensive Data Backup

We use Apple iCloud to backup all of our company iOS devices. Our primary objective is to make sure we do not lose contacts or photos, as that is what we care about most. However, it doesn't hurt to backup text messages and Safari data too.
  • Automatic backups
  • Notifications if backups fail
  • Easy restore process
  • I would like to backup documents on my devices (other than photos).
  • Alerts can be overly obnoxious if you miss a backup or storage is almost full.
Everyone should back up their devices. Technology dies; we know this the hard way. Luckily, our devices' most crucial information (photos and contacts) are backed up to the cloud. And the cloud is a great place to backup content because it never dies, unlike local backups on computers.
February 27, 2020

Apple iCloud Review

As far as I know, Apple iCloud is not necessarily used by an entire department or even across the whole organization, but more so on an individual basis. The majority of the individuals in the Corporate office use Apple's iCloud. iCloud allows me to store and sync my documents, pictures, etc... so that I can easily access them on any of my Apple devices, whether I am at home or at the office.
  • iCloud stores and syncs my photos, documents, music, etc... allowing me to access them from any of my Apple devices.
  • iClould gives the user the ability to locate lost equipment if need be.
  • iCloud is incredibly secure and backs up all of my files, which is great in case of a cyber security attack.
  • You have to buy additional storage if you run out of space, which can be somewhat frustrating.
iCloud gives me the ability to work anywhere as I can access all documents on any of my Apple devices. It's incredibly easy to set up and use and provides automatic device backups.

Apple iCloud Review

I use Apple iCloud and have used it for a long time now. I use it to back up everything across multiple platforms. It has my contacts, important dates, photos, videos, and files. It is being used across my company and it addresses the worry of not having my important items backed up. I have had times where devices have failed and iCloud has backed me up and given me the reassurance that things are safely backed up.
  • It is a clean platform.
  • It is user-friendly.
  • Accessibility of photos on desktop platform.
  • App options on desktop.
It is well suited for a small company or business that needs to have multiple user access and uploading options. It is clean and straightforward, for the most part, and gives the user or users the ability to find what is important to them when they need to be able to find it.

Apple iCloud Good with Less Implementation

Apple iCloud is used for staff members who use their own Mac products with the company. It is a way for us to collaborate without having to teach staff new programs or moving them from the programs they are used to. It is mainly used to sync calendars and documents. It addresses the communication gap.
  • It is user-friendly
  • It is available for business and personal
  • There isn't a hard learning curve
  • If Apple iCloud had a word document integration it would help since 90% of people use it over Pages.
  • If Apple iCloud could sync on non Apple devices, I have not checked on whether it does but it would help a ton as many companies have individuals with non-apple devices.
  • Better automated organization. Many programs have organization automation, which helps in keeping certain documents in certain folders. That is one of the main complaints from users.
Apple iCloud is well suited for organizations that are flexible in cloud storage. If you are a company that is mainly on Microsoft products, it is much easier to have files on One Drive as opposed to Apple iCloud. It is also more appropriate to use it if companies are providing Apple products for employees.
February 26, 2020

Does what it needs to do.

As we are a wholly Microsoft for education place, the vast majority of campus is on One Drive. However, our department is almost all on various Mac laptops/desktops and also iPads. Also, as most of us have iPhones, we're all using Apple iCloud in some capacity, so it makes sense for some things to be accessible on what we are already using.
  • Seamless backups
  • Pretty straightforward to use
  • Sharing files is very simple
  • Limited compared to the competition
  • A little more pricy than the competition
  • Web interface can use some work
If you only have a handful of files that need to be shared (like a Numbers spreadsheet), Apple iCloud is ideal if you are on Apple devices. It is not a good fit (especially for photos/DAM components) as the price is not very appealing compared to most competitors. Also, if you are only a web user, the interface can use some work for functionality.

Apple iCloud Saves Time

Apple iCloud is used intermittently across my organization as a way to streamline file storage across multiple devices.
  • File access across multiple devices.
  • Access on the go.
  • Loading time.
  • File searching.
Apple iCloud is well suited for users who need access to the same files from different devices quickly. It’s a little tougher to share and collaborate on files with other users across different devices unless the device is registered or logged in by the file owner.
Shelby Bowden | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 03, 2019

A great place to store apple files, yet a horrible program!

We use Apple iCloud as a whole department as a way of sharing Apple-based information without the need for "hard" storage and transfer devices such as external hard drives. It allows us to transfer data without having to first convert it to an alternate file type such as Microsoft Word or Excel.
  • Data sharing.
  • Data storage of Apple-related file types.
  • Great integration with apple products.
  • It seems kind of like a "black box," and is difficult to keep clean.
  • impossible to integrate with Microsoft files.
  • Automatically turns on, so difficult to keep things straight.
It is great if you are a die-hard Apple user. It integrates virtually every aspect of Apple products among different devices, making it super easy to share things. It fails pretty hard when tasked with other product types (such as Microsoft), and I have found it rather difficult to manage since it seems to take over so forcefully.
Read Shelby Bowden's full review
Sarah Bandy | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 16, 2019

Apple iCloud - a Less Good Google Docs

Apple iCloud is being used primarily by department - we use it to store documents, pictures, text, brainstorms, and notes on our personal devices, then share throughout the department to a second party site such as Google Docs or Dropbox. It's a really useful tool to be able to keep large amounts of data in multiple places for safekeeping.
  • Apple iCloud is great at storing personal data across networks.
  • The best thing about iCloud is how you can access your files remotely, regardless of what device you physically have with you.
  • iCloud is easy to organize and maintain.
  • The storage amount does seem to run out quickly, and then you have to buy additional storage.
  • It would be nice to be able to transfer and store larger files without having to dive in and pay monthly.
  • The ability to store things more affordably for non-profit organizations would really help us budget-wise.
Honestly, we end up using Google Docs a lot more often than we use Apple iCloud because of the sheer ease of organization and instant link to our team email addresses. iCloud is suited well for being able to access your data remotely, but Google Docs has the same functionality and there is never a charge. It does what it sets out to do well, though.
Read Sarah Bandy's full review
August 13, 2019

Simple cloud storage that "just works"

Our company uses iCloud on our employee's Mac computer or Apple iPhone. It is deployed across the organization for everyone that uses these products. As an administrator, I love that it "just works" and provides automated backups of employee's desktop and documents folders, ensuring that critical data is securely kept in the cloud.
  • Uses secure protocols
  • Works "out of the box"
  • Simple and inexpensive pricing
  • No team collaboration support
  • No pricing breaks (or "bundles") for teams
  • No way to manage multiple users storage as an administrator
iCloud is best suited for smaller teams in which there isn't a need for heavy oversight from IT departments. Its native, out of the box compatibility makes it easy for employees to set up as well. Unlike other storage options, there is no way for IT to control how much data their users put on their cloud.
Jeff Eaton | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 21, 2019

iCloud: Fantastic cloud storage for a single user

Our org relies heavily on Dropbox for shared document collections, but most of the team members are Mac users, and iCloud's seamless file syncing between a single user's iOS MacOS devices has been a really useful addition to the mix. Most of us use iCloud to store and archive files created by compatible applications, then move things to Dropbox if they're "done" and need to be accessed by multiple team members.

In a few situations, we've used the collaborative authoring tools that Apple's free productivity apps provide (multiple users working on the same Keynote file in the leadup to a large meeting, for example).
  • Zero set up integration with Apple and many third-party apps.
  • MacOS and iOS document sharing is smooth to the point of being effortlessness.
  • Enough storage on the "free" tier that many team members can get by without an upgrade.
  • Weak to non-existent shared multi-user storage. i.e. "Here's a shared collection of presentations we all use".
  • Built-in iCloud support on an app-by-app basis is necessary to achieve "super seamless" workflow. Without that, it's just Apple's brand of a cloud-synced folder.
iCloud is at its best when a single user has multiple devices and uses the same apps on all or most of those devices. Keynote, Pages, IA Writer, MindNode, and other "fully integrated with iCloud" apps are great examples of how easy it can be.

It's less compelling when multiple users need a shared file repository — we just use Dropbox in that situation, and it's a good compliment.

It's also less valuable when the apps being used don't directly integrate with iCloud. The valuable cross-OS integration when switching from Mac to iOS and back is much clunkier in those situations. Kick the tires using the free iCloud features before depending too heavily on it.
Read Jeff Eaton's full review
Jeff Henkel | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 08, 2019

It's Not Stormy For Apple iCloud

I use Apple iCloud for most of my company files. Mainly the files that I may need to access when I am away from the office. I have found it is an excellent business tool and has given me the flexibility I desire so I can be out of the office and still maintain access to just about anything I would want from my office computer. The files I need for mobile access are all automatically filed under my Apple iCloud folder, therefore, I don't even have to worry about making a decision where to file something or if I would want access to it later.
  • Efficiency. Apple iCloud can be set up to automatically place your files for mobile access. I have needed to access a file from my office computer countless times and iCloud has made that possible.
  • Security. I know security is always an issue and I have never felt that any of my files have been compromised. I believe Apple has a reputation to uphold and works hard to maintain secure cloud-based storage.
  • Multi-platform. I use Apple iCloud on my devices, my personal Mac computer and my Windows based office computer. I love how I can save or retrieve a personal or work file at any time on any of my devices.
  • Price. As much as I love the overall functionality of Apple iCloud, the price I pay is fairly steep in comparison and amount of storage.
  • Web Interface is below par. I don't even try to create new files from the web with iCloud. Much easier from a device and then use iCloud just for storage.
If you own devices on a multi-platform of Windows and Mac, iCloud is a great storage option. First, you do get some free storage when you own an Apple device. Second, if you own an Apple mobile device, you can place whatever file folders you desire under the iCloud folder and have mobile access. I have never owned anything but an Apple iPhone so I wouldn't know about access for Android.
Read Jeff Henkel's full review
Michelle Kelly | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 18, 2018

Apple iCloud saves time when using classroom tech!!

I use Apple iCloud daily in my teaching to easily log into applications and websites. My students are young and they often have no memory of their usernames and passwords, let alone the knowledge of what they are for. Apple iCloud allows me to create logins for all of my students that are secure by suggesting passwords for new sites and applications. It also remembers these passwords and usernames for my students and auto fills them. I also love that frequent websites are saved. This saves me so much classroom time when I am trying to use iPads for a student project. It makes the process so much easier!
  • Username and password storage
  • Secure password suggestions
  • Safari browser memory
  • Difficult to set up the first time
  • Does not remember browser settings within google chrome (many websites function best with google chrome)
  • Works better on mobile
Apple iCloud is well-suited for people with many passwords who need an easy way to store them. Apple iCloud could improve its security, or at least how it informs its customers of security. If my Apple iCloud is hacked, then my passwords are available for anyone.
Read Michelle Kelly's full review
Emily Hammell | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 21, 2019

LOVE!

Apple iCloud makes it very easy to have all my files and documents in one place so I'm able to work remotely on any machine. It's also handy to have all these files in one place in case something happens to our computers or equipment, that we have a reliable backup.
  • Convenient! So easy to access files anywhere!
  • Affordable. iCloud is a very competitively priced cloud service.
  • Speed. I don't have any issues with load time—all my files are right there, right away.
  • Tutorials may be helpful. I'm sure that I'm not utilizing all its features.
  • The interface on desktops seems a little elementary—could use some updates.
  • Mail integration could be easier.
I love being able to access the documents on my laptop and phone from anywhere.
Read Emily Hammell's full review
Michael Timms | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 16, 2019

Cloud Storage and Device Management All in One

I want to start this review off by saying that I am not an Apple fan. That being said, I do not hate the product, in fact, it has saved my tail on at least one occasion. I have also seen $400 devices turned into a paperweight because they were locked to an iCloud account and unable to be recovered. I am an IT Supervisor at my company. All of the management that I support have iPhones as their company phone, and a few have iPads. The feature of iCloud(and any cloud software) that jumps out is that all of your documents, photos, music, and videos are accessible from any device. This is great for when someone has a meeting, and has a presentation on their phone and need to pull it up on a PC so that it can be projected.
  • Provides a cost-effective way to store big data
  • Gives the user access to all of their files, on any device anytime and anywhere
  • Provides added security to mobile devices.
  • My biggest gripe is the difficulty of resetting your password. More on this later in the review.
  • More data could be provided for free (Apple gives you 5G, Google gives you 15G)
  • Customer support is basically non-existent.
iCloud is well suited in many different business and corporate environments, but, in my opinion, the users need to be fairly tech savvy. See, the issue with iCloud arises because a certain subset of users will create an iPhone when they first set up their new company iPhone, then never use it again. This is fine until they need to change phones, then suddenly they can't remember their password or the phone number that is tied to it so that it can be reset, and believe me I speak on this with these exact experiences.
Read Michael Timms's full review

Access control (57)
File search (62)
Device sync (69)
9.2
User and role management (51)
File organization (62)
Device management (63)
Performance (70)
Reliability (70)
Storage Reports (56)

About Apple iCloud

Apple iCloud is a document management software offering from Apple. It includes features such as access to music, photos, calendars, contacts, and documents, and it is built into every new iOS device.

Apple iCloud Technical Details