Apple Remote Desktop Reviews

Ravinder Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Chrome Remote Desktop is cross-platform but lacks the cool features especially automation related features like Apple Remote Desktop does. For supporting Mac computers, Apple Remote Desktop was a clear choice.
Read Ravinder Gupta's full review

Alternatives Considered

I would feel much more comfortable having one of these alternative solutions as our Remote Desktop management tools. Each has their drawbacks and expenses associated with them, but we simply have too large of a deployment to not be considering alternatives. If it is the only solution you can afford, it is OK to start here. I could see where this would have a return on investment, but it is really only suitable for a very small and localized scale. If employees are at all mobile, the duct taping of products necessary (VPN, distribution points, script repositories) would be very cumbersome.

Alternatives Considered

Apple Remote Desktop is unique in some of the abilities it has. I feel like there is not much in direct competition for much of what it can do.

Alternatives Considered

If you are managing Apple systems, ARD is hands down the number one way to manage these systems. It beats every other product out there with its deep macOS integration. No other product has as much focus on Apple as this one. We are primarily a Mac environment so it makes total sense that we would choose this product.
John Readwin | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I actually use ConnectWise and ARD, if within my LAN. If I have VPN access I use ARD, if it's a new client and I haven't worked on their network or it's too small to warrant a VPN setup then I'll use ConnectWise
Read John Readwin's full review
Aleese Gulick | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I have used the above two remote desktop services and have found it to be much harder than using the Apple Remote Desktop. They are slow to login with a lot of errors, time outs constantly, and interface its self moves incredibly slow. I felt a sense of relief when I started using Apple Remote Desktop.
Read Aleese Gulick's full review
Christopher Power | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2017

MR.Power ON ARD

Alternatives Considered

Apple Remote Desktop is the best device we were able to use for education that served the function. Being a school with all Apple products and Mac labs, using Apple Remote Desktop was the most logical choice. The only other alternative was to use the Adobe screen share software which would not be useful since we do not use the Adobe Creative Cloud or have those licenses on every computer in the school.
Read Christopher Power's full review
Eric Kelley | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I use TeamViewer with users who are having trouble connecting to the VPN. I think TeamViewer is a good alternative when ARD isn't working. However supporting the number of users we support, TeamViewer can come with a pretty hefty price tag.
Read Eric Kelley's full review
Angel Swalve | TrustRadius Reviewer

• Casper
Apple Remote Desktop allows me access and control that Casper doesn't always have. I love the use of the Remote sessions to be able to get on and see what exactly is going on and then to be able to fix it without having to run across campus to that classroom.
Read Angel Swalve's full review

Alternatives Considered

For multi-site remote support we utilize TeamViewer and for enterprise-wide device management we are using Cisco Meraki System Manager. ARD is a great Mac tool, but there are many options out there, that are cloud-based, that don't require you to have network tunnels into your multiple sites. TeamViewer has great session compression and seems well optimized for multisite, global device management, but TeamViewer leans a bit more toward Windows, with regards to management. Both TV and Cisco Meraki System Manager are quite a bit more expensive than ARD, which should be a consideration as well.
December 15, 2016

Great tool!

• Cisco Meraki
We use both of these products and both are great in their own way.

Screen sharing (17)
9.5
File transfer (17)
9.4
Instant message (16)
9.4
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (1)
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (12)
6.3
Over-the-Internet remote session (13)
9.6
Initiate remote control from mobile (4)
2.6
Remote management of servers & workstations (15)
Remote Active Directory® management (5)
10.0
Centralized management dashboard (9)
Session record (6)
6.3
Annotations (3)
6.0
Monitoring and Alerts (8)
Multi-platform remote control (4)
9.8

About Apple Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop (ARD), from Apple, is a remote administration tool for managing Apple computers running OS X across a network.