Apple Remote Desktop Reviews

Ravinder Gupta | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We are using Apple Remote Desktop for managing Mac computers on our network. The product is being used to perform administrative tasks such as on-demand remote assistance, remote software installations and perform AutoInstall using Task Server to minimize human intervention on scheduled tasks.

Automator Actions is another cool feature we use often. You can create a workflow of tasks you want to perform and then schedule them to execute automatically on client machines.

One of the coolest features which I haven't used elsewhere is "Curtain Mode" while performing an administrative task on a client machine. You can block the local user's view of his own screen while performing administrative tasks.
Read Ravinder Gupta's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use it across the organization for various maintenance tasks. Whether it is accessing servers, installing packages, or simply assisting staff with technical problems, we have done it all it with ARD at some point.

Some users are more advanced than others and have even used it as a reporting tool. With the advent of Jamf in our organization though, I imagine ARD's days are numbered. Especially considering the security risks that are all but necessary in our implementation.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to remotely repair computers, push out updates, and troubleshoot issues for our IT department. It allows us to remotely view and command several machines at once saving us time.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

ARD is being used by technology support staff in our organization to manage Apple desktops and laptops in our organization. It can collect stats from our endpoints and can run UNIX scripts in the background, this is especially helpful if we need to silently push an update or get information about the usage of a computer behind the scenes so to speak. We use this throughout our organization and not a day goes by when I do not use it.
Aleese Gulick | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use Apple Remote Desktop to login into my work computer remotely. It is two different interfaces that I am dealing with and I have yet to have any issues, if anything it is very fast and easy to use. My whole department uses it if they have a need for it, and it is made available to the whole campus. It addresses the issue of having to conform to using one thing to access your work, makes it easier to get things done.
Read Aleese Gulick's full review
Christopher Power | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 14, 2017

MR.Power ON ARD

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apple Remote Desktop is being used specifically for content and use management, at the school level, for managing students. The most used tools are computer screen sharing, file drops and locking labs of computers down during lesson plans. The entire organization of our school utilizes Apple Remote Desktop, as the entire school has MAC labs and MAC computers. All departments and educators have access to ARD in the entire building.

The problem that ARD addresses is the need to have a tool available for educators to improve the quality and control of the educational experience. Students often need files sent to them for lessons or project based learning. During other times teachers will need to use ARD in order to address the issue of student engagement and use Apple Remote Desktop to improve engagement by either screen sharing or sharing a student's screen to the rest of the class of students.
Read Christopher Power's full review
Eric Kelley | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

With a company of over 800 employees and growing everyday, our IT department needs a remote support solution. We have users all over the country, and with Apple Remote Desktop we are able to quickly and efficiently support those users. We use ARD daily for general maintenance and fixes for our users, we push out updates and new software as well. I'd say the most critical use for ARD for myself is being able to VPN into my network and maintain the servers when I am offsite.
Read Eric Kelley's full review
Angel Swalve | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apple Remote Desktop is being used in our school district on each campus. I currently use Apple Remote Desktop to troubleshoot classroom and lab computers as needed. I also use Apple Remote Desktop to update computer software as new updates are released. I also use Apple Remote Desktop to make it easier for teachers, who bring in 20-25 Pre-Kindergarten students, by logging the lab computers in through Apple Remote Desktop. This creates less stress for the teachers and allows the students more time to work on their programs instead of sitting waiting for the teacher to log them in one by one. I also use Apple Remote Desktop to push log in information for different software programs. Apple Remote Desktop allows me to work on numerous computers quickly and more efficiently. I currently have over 250 computers that I manage on a daily basis and without Apple Remote Desktop it would be impossible to touch each and every computer.
Read Angel Swalve's full review
Gabriel Duff | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apple remote desktop (ARD) is a key tool in any Macintosh system administrators tool box. Made by Apple itself and currently supporting remote connectivity to any of its operating systems, it's the tool you need. The ability to secure and collect any amount of systems across an organization for remote access or remote installs and commands makes my job easier every day. The price for ARD is also under $100 from Apple's app store, this makes it very easy to recommend for support and keeps you in budget with your company. Being able to use a remote task server also allows ARD to be able to do tasks for you when you aren't around, further lightening your work load. IT also offers encrypted connections to users systems and compressed data traffic.
Read Gabriel Duff's full review
Tim Twiss | TrustRadius Reviewer

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) is utilized by members of the information technology department to provide support for the Mac OS computers in our network environment. It is utilized primarily to provide instant remote support for end users whether they were in the same office or located in another city. We also rely heavily on ARD to provide detailed software and hardware reports on the clients running the software. It also works well to centrally manage the distribution of new software. Essentially, it allows the IT department to provide a much higher level of support while increasing efficiency and productivity.
Read Tim Twiss's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) is our primary remote desktop sharing tool on our HQ LAN, which consists of mostly Macs. Secondarily, we use it to deploy software packages to our local Mac users.
December 15, 2016

Great tool!

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

It is used to monitor students when they work on MacBooks. I use it to maintain, update, install and distribute certain applications remotely. It's good enough to take a peek at a number of devices at the same time. I can control how I want to have a look at the devices by just "observing" (without knowledge of the client) or having a total control on the device. It also helps in organizing the devices according to their grade levels. At certain times UNIX commands can be used to control the macs. There are many many more features of Apple remote desktop, and it all depends on the users how to make use of all of its features.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use Apple Remote Desktop in the IT department to monitor and update our 150+ computers in our agency. ARD allows us to help employees with small tasks like updating software (Microsoft Ofiice, Flash ect.) to bigger task like troubleshooting issues over the phone. Overall ARD gets a lot of use from our 3 IT guys

Screen sharing (17)
9.5
File transfer (17)
9.4
Instant message (16)
9.4
Secure remote access with Smart Card authentication (1)
Access to sleeping/powered-off computers (12)
6.3
Over-the-Internet remote session (13)
9.6
Initiate remote control from mobile (4)
2.6
Remote management of servers & workstations (15)
Remote Active Directory® management (5)
10.0
Centralized management dashboard (9)
Session record (6)
6.3
Annotations (3)
6.0
Monitoring and Alerts (8)
Multi-platform remote control (4)
9.8

About Apple Remote Desktop

Apple Remote Desktop (ARD), from Apple, is a remote administration tool for managing Apple computers running OS X across a network.