AppRiver Reviews

Joey Catanzaro | TrustRadius Reviewer
AppRiver is the business we use to utilize Office365. They are who we purchase our license from and they also provide our email virus and spam protection. It is used across the whole organization, which consists of 2 manufacturing plants-- one in Memphis TN and one in Olive Branch MS. AppRiver is intuitive and will add the appropriate licenses for Microsoft products that are assigned to our users, while at the same time removing a license if I unassign one. This makes license management a lot easier and ensures that we aren't paying for licenses that aren't being used.
  • Live Support. Their support techs have always been curious and professional. If you do have to leave a message they return your call and address your problem quickly.
  • Easy to understand English-speaking techs.
  • I feel like I get a good amount of service for what we are paying.
  • Really haven't had any cons. Being picky, I guess the web site is a little dark in color but like I said that is if you want to be picky.
If you are looking for a spam filter or a way to easily manage your Office 365 license, I recommend taking a look at AppRiver.
AppRiver's live support is above what I expected, and I use it exclusively. I always get a professional, courteous, and knowledgeable tech that is easy to understand within a few minutes of placing a call. If you do have to leave a message they have always promptly returned my call.
Full of plenty of offerings on the various settings, etc. I find it easy as I understand, but with all they reference for the less knowledgeable I can see where it might be a little overwhelming.
Read Joey Catanzaro's full review
August 12, 2020
Scott Woodall | TrustRadius Reviewer
Previously, we were using on-prem Windows SBS 2011. It was time to upgrade and we needed to move to a cloud-based solution that wouldn't break the bank. After talking to other AppRiver users and extensive research we decided to use AppRiver across all four locations in the Gulf South.
  • Tech support is always available.
  • Phone is always answered by a person and not automated.
  • 99% of time problem is fixed over phone.
  • Offer a wide variety of services at affordable prices.
In our case, it was a choice of replacing aging server hardware and all the associated licensing with it or move to the cloud. Our office had recently endured a flood in south Louisiana, and years before that, hurricanes. It was time for a permanent fix to all the natural disasters that seemed to be occurring more and more often. Moving to AppRiver and O356 was an easy decision.
This is where AppRiver shines over all other companies. No matter when you call, you will get a live person answering the phone. You are then transferred to another live person with minimum wait time. Their employees have a wide and deep breadth of knowledge on their own products and O365. Problems are solved quickly and efficiently. If needed, AppRiver can remote into the user's computer and fix the problem themselves versus telling you how to do it.
The AppRiver interface is pretty easy and straightforward. When you sign up, they can walk you through setting up a few users so you get the hang of it. Every once in a while, it might take a minute to get logged into the interface, but the vast majority of the time it is very quick. Once in, most items are self-explanatory and if you do have a question, just call and speak to someone.
Read Scott Woodall's full review
August 03, 2020
Mark Norman | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use AppRiver as our first stop for Microsoft/email/cloud base services. We find that when we use cloud services we want to have a reseller involved as a first point of contact. We are a small organization and using a reseller that supports thousands of customers gives us the benefit of their collective experience across all their customers. We vastly prefer calling a reseller that is engaged and wants to keep our business to having to call the actual service provider themselves.
  • AppRiver always answers the phone immediately and quickly connects me with an easy-to-understand support professional.
  • AppRiver has competitive prices on all their products.
  • AppRiver is quick to let me know about promotions I may qualify for.
  • There are products I wish AppRiver offered that they don't.
  • Not all of their products are the best-in-class offering.
For all small businesses with in-house IT or even MSPs, we need more expertise than one in-house IT pro can provide. Having an organization like AppRiver gives a small business the ability to consult with someone who has experience managing that product or service across thousands of seats, not just the couple dozen that a small business may need. For an enterprise sized business, with multiple layers of in-house IT Support, AppRiver might not be worth any additional cost.
AppRiver answers the phone instantly, and immediately connects us with a qualified, US-based support agent. The support agent is always able to give a helpful answer, and almost always fix the issue. When the issue lies with another entity, the support agent is still helpful in advising the best possible way to have the issue resolved. Their speed, expertise, and overall attitude are easily 10/10.
AppRiver's control panel underwent a major revision in the last year, and I have to say, it's a huge improvement. The ability to access a clear dashboard and provision accounts, deploy updates, and double check settings is a definite must. AppRiver's new control panel makes my life easier by more simply and easily seeing all of the needed info in one place.
Read Mark Norman's full review
John Massaro | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use AppRiver as our Office 365 supplier. This service includes the full Office suite, email services, Sharepoint, Microsoft Teams, Visio, and everything else O365 has to offer. With the explosion in remote work, we were even able to add on the conferencing option to our Microsoft Teams deployment to give our remote users a dedicated conference line. These services are being used company-wide. They even offer additional email security protection on top of the Microsoft filtering giving us additional controls and safety.
  • Top notch customer support.
  • User friendly customer portal.
  • Non-pushy sales tactics.
  • Expert product knowledge.
I believe anyone looking for hosted email services or Office 365 for their organization, should look at AppRiver. They are a middle man between you and Microsoft. They are US based so your support for your Office applications is right here in the states. They are available 24/7 for support and always willing to help.
AppRiver support is always readily available and easy to contact. You can call, email, or chat with their support team. I have never had an instance of needing support that they were not able to help me fix or guide me to a solution. I never hesitate to reach out to them. They are extremely knowledgeable about the products that they offer.
Their unified interface is wonderful to work with. I can manage all of my licensing within their customer portal. For a basic deployment, I never have to leave the AppRiver portal. There are a few things that can only be done from the Microsoft side of the licensing, but those are rare in most standard/basic deployments.
Read John Massaro's full review
Butch Watson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using AppRiver across our organization for Office365 and Exchange. We especially appreciate the SPAM support and security AppRiver provides. Administration or both Office365 and Exchange has been straight forward and efficient. Product support has been responsive when needed.
  • Chat and telephone support are outstanding.
  • Simple and comprehensive website for administering Office365 and Exchange.
  • Email threat protection.
  • I realize it's not perfect, but in the 2 years we've used it, we've not had any issues with the AppRiver website or support.
Small businesses like ours where dedicated support staff is not viable.
Whenever I have contacted AppRiver support via chat or phone, there was minimal wait time and responsive and courteous staff to answer questions and provide the support needed.
The interface has been easy to understand and use. I've not had to spend too much time trying to figure it out. If I did have a question, support was quick to help.
Read Butch Watson's full review
Dom Russo | TrustRadius Reviewer
AppRiver is my focal point for most of my Windows applications, mainly Exchange and the associated licenses. Any issues that I encounter using Microsoft products, they address (even though they mainly handle my email account management). We use their services across the entire company and they have provided me with a better sense of direction when it comes to planning or upgrading users.
  • INCREDIBLY pleasant receptionists.
  • They are excellent listeners
  • They provide short concise suggestions and solutions to my problems.
  • They are always available and willing to help.
  • There after hour service should remain local rather than overseas.
  • Possibly have dedicated support reps for each company.
AppRiver comes across as an extremely professional organization and provides a real sense of security in times of uncertainty. They were strongly recommended by my direct support rep and I have been very pleased with their support and problem-solving abilities. There have been instances where they have gone over and beyond where I would expect them to go. They were clear to inform me of that but were willing to help.
Having been in the support industry and providing similar support to a variety of companies, I know exactly what it takes to provide top-level support. There is always room for improvement which is why I gave this a 9 rating.
I used to depend on their interface during the initial setup but now I don't find the need to make many changes or additions.
Read Dom Russo's full review
Guy Short | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use their SecureTide product to scan inbound and outbound email for SPAM email for all of our employees. The product works great and keeps SPAM (suspected and actual) from even reaching our facility. Customer support is top-notch. My Account Rep there really seems to understand my needs.
  • Customer Support
  • SPAM Filtering
  • Secure email delivery
  • At this time there is nothing I can think of
AppRiver is well suited for scanning email BEFORE it comes to your email server. They keep the spam out of your facility.
Their support reps are always courteous and friendly. They listen to your issue and give you a response to the problem right away.
Their web interface is sleek, intuitive, and very easy to use.
Read Guy Short's full review
Thomas Olsen | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use AppRiver for my customers' Office 365 licenses.
  • Tech support quality.
  • Tech support speed (Talking to a person within 1-2 minutes).
  • If support is outside their scope they will send a link to helpful info or point you to the right direction.
All of my customers are very small (1 user - 35 users) so that's my only reference. In that situation, it works well.
They are the best I have ever experienced in my 28 years in IT. Quick to a person and they are all knowledgeable. Even the weekend or late night techs know their stuff.
I like the interface though it was confusing for the first 4 or 5 customers. Now that I know it I understand the layout and it's very easy to navigate and get things done.
Read Thomas Olsen's full review
Tom Gassett | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our company uses Appriver as our email provider. We also use Appriver to filter our spam.
  • Good customer support.
  • They have very little downtime.
  • North American based and support.
  • Should provide a tool that makes it easy for admins to archive a users email without having to use Outlook.
  • Costs could be less to provide a greater value to the customer.
AppRiver has been a good email provider for Poly, Inc. AppRiver has been filtering our spam for many years and we liked the service so we decided to use them for our email as well. I cannot think of any scenarios where Appriver would not be a good resource for most small to medium-sized companies.
Support is fantastic. ApprRver is quick to respond and is North American based.
The web interface is solid but not perfect. Many times it is slow to respond. Occasionally, I have to close out the interface and log in again. Overall, it works well.
Read Tom Gassett's full review
August 16, 2020
We currently use AppRiver across our whole company as well as a dozen other brands we own and operate. We use it primarily for Office365 (Now Microsoft365) with our domains for hosted email, MS Teams, etc. Using AppRiver as our Microsoft365 provider has dramatically simplified management and love that fact that they offer support for all users. This has helped us to offload the amount of basic user support we have to offer to users of the applications.
  • User provisioning
  • End-user support
  • Simplified billing
  • Better technical support for Office365.
  • Having agents able to assist with Azure AD.
  • An automated way to sign up for and setup a Microsoft365 Tenant.
AppRiver is great for both small and large organizations. Small businesses are unlikely to have much if any technical support staff available to them, for which AppRiver would be a great help. Likewise for large companies, having AppRiver can save your tech support team from dealing with basic, common, and repetitive application support, and allowing them to better focus on more important tasks at hand.
AppRiver's support from our perspective replaces the Microsoft365 Support we typically would have to receive from Microsoft by ticket. Instead, AppRiver supports us by phone, live chat, or email. Being able to get a hold of someone quickly makes a huge difference, especially when an issue is urgent and we can't wait hours or days for a response from Microsoft.
The interface has changed a lot since we first joined. We understand they are still working on changes to the interface, but overall it's very usable. We often find it easier to perform certain tasks in their interface instead of the Microsoft Admin panel, so we do prefer to use it wherever possible, especially for user account provisioning. We do wish that they would have better support for user aliases.
August 14, 2020
AppRiver provides our work email accounts. We have approximately 20 full-time employees and over 1200 Independent Contractors who use these email accounts.
  • Tech Support
  • Implementation
  • Technical Rep turnover: I've had 2 in the last 6 months and the last one is just temporary
AppRiver is very responsive to our needs for technical support. It would be nice to have an account rep that stays with the company long enough for me to get to know them.
There's always someone to help users with 24x7 support.
Very Easy
August 14, 2020
AppRiver is being used across the whole organization. We partner with outside IT to implement and manage for users.
  • fairly easy to navigate
  • strong ease of use to manage users
  • I find the website billing section is difficult to access.
  • Autopayment has never worked despite multiple calls to tech support.
AppRiver is technically sound. No issues with adding/deleting or managing users.
We have been unable to resolve continued issues with autopay. I need to log in every month to reenter my credit card information.
August 11, 2020
We use AppRiver to filter email for our entire organization. The idea is for it to block spam and other less desirable emails from reaching our users' inboxes. In our situation, we have it filter mail outside of our network (using their cloud service), and then it's passed along to our Office 365 instance.
  • Catches the majority of spam
  • Allows users to manage their own quarantines
  • Good customer service
  • Not 100% effective finding a significant number of false positives
  • Feels like the technology stack is outdated
  • Reporting false positives is lacking
  • Reporting messages that slip through has little feedback just a forward to an address
I'd recommend AppRiver for people who manage and or self-host their own mail server and for whom it's useful to have a service to hold mail offsite if or when their internet connectivity or server goes down for whatever reason. It seems that the filtering is rather basic from the standpoint of filtering out more advanced spam and even some basic spam. Rather than re-training rules, the service requires the use of whitelisting which is less than ideal in the sense that someone who's been whitelisted (a domain, an IP, or a specific email address) may become compromised in the future, leading to a raft of spam breaching your defenses.
I really appreciate the support we've had from deployment onward. The staff at AppRiver are great to deal with competent and helpful from beginning to end.
The interface has improved significantly over the last year or so. We only use the mail filtering product so I don't see the other "tabs" in the interface, but what we have works well. Again from a usability standpoint I wish the product were using more advanced methods, but the UI itself is functional and does the job.
August 03, 2020
We use AppRiver as our company email and Office 365 host and service provider. All management users at our company who have a corporate email address use AppRiver. AppRiver also provides unified and easy-to-administer email services for our company, such as Outlook, spam and malware filtering, and user administration functions.
  • User administration.
  • Email filtering.
  • Email support and reliability.
  • Office 365.
  • More dynamic and effective spam and malware filtering.
AppRiver is a great, functional email service platform for our small business.
Reliable and effective support for issues that come up, and online chat feature with live support really helps to resolve matters and answer questions more quickly without picking up phone or waiting for support.
There is a lot of functionality on the AppRiver site to administer and manage email security and compliance. It is certainly helpful to have all the tools and data on a easy-to-navigate interface to manage all efficiently. Does take some time to learn and become acclimated with the various features, but the feature set is robust and continuously being enhanced and innovated on.
July 31, 2020
AppRiver is used for SPAM filtering, email encryption, and Office 365 resell.
  • AppRiver has an excellent technical support department to work with.
  • AppRiver provides great support when transferring new clients in from other email providers.
  • Account managers are slow to respond or unresponsive. This creates a great deal of frustration.
  • Account requests or questions are typically unanswered.
  • Glitches with the Office 365 tie-in through the AppRiver control panel can be annoying.
AppRiver does a great job of making sure the products they provide work, and I know how to make them work if there are problems. Getting my clients into their system is about as easy as I can imagine it could be.
I have not worked with a company that makes it so easy to get in touch with a knowledgeable technical representative quickly. Most of the time, with AppRiver, I can be on the phone with an actual tech within a minute of calling. No other company their size has the focus and dedication to have such highly skilled techs available on short notice.
Their interface is good when it works. Occasionally it will have problems communicating with Office 365 but I can always use the Office 365 portal when this happens for anything urgent so it typically isn't a big deal. I would like to see that interface improved so the glitches don't happen as often. The interface may save a small amount of time but it is minor if anything at all.
July 28, 2020
We use the platform to remain HIPAA-compliant in our email correspondence with patients and other providers in the community regarding patient care. All staff, both clinical and administrative, utilize the secure email platform.
  • email tracking for accountability
  • integrates well with our email system (Outlook) - accessibility
  • tech support or technology glitches are common
  • the add-on for Outlook, though convenient, does slow Outlook down and often causes Outlook to crash
I think AppRiver is well suited for all purposes needed in our office. We are able to communicate easily and securely with patients, feel confident in the impacts AppRiver has on our risk management/analysis, and we love that we can track emails and recall them when necessary. It is very helpful to have the tracking feature for accountability when it comes to scheduling and providing billing estimates via email to patients.
I often feel like it's difficult to connect patients with AppRiver support, and I just don't find support to be as accessible as it is with some of our other vendors.
It is much faster to use the platform when it's integrated into Outlook (versus having to go through the browser), but the add-on often slows Outlook and causes it to crash. Our AppRiver add-on disintegrates from outlook often across multiple devices when outlook deems the add-on to be working too slowly.

I do like the accessibility of the app for iPhones.
July 24, 2020
AppRiver has been our Microsoft 365 provider for over three years now. They provide our email, cloud file sharing, and application solutions. AppRiver provides the best support of any similar provider I have used -- very accessible, polite, professional, and available 24/7. I appreciate the human contact. AppRiver feels like part of our team.
  • Knowledge - their support specialists usually know the answers... and when they don't, they will work to find them.
  • Support - support specialists are genuinely interested in helping us find solutions to any problems with Office 365.
  • Reliability - no matter what time you call or who you talk to, you're going to get great service. Their training must be terrific.
  • AppRiver was recently purchased by a larger company. I was concerned that their excellent support would decline, but so far, they're going strong.
If you need Microsoft 365 in your business, AppRiver is the provider to trust.
Their service is the main reason we stay with AppRiver. There are a lot of providers out there, but as long as their service is strong, we'll stick with them.
The interface is very easy to use.
August 11, 2020
Our IT suggested we migrate our emails to Microsoft, so we started utilizing AppRiver when we migrated the whole company. We have had so much negative feedback regarding Microsoft Outlook that we've created another domain and moved 80% of the staff to the new domain email system. Only a select few are with the original domain until we have time to figure out how to migrate them out. But this is a Microsoft issue, not an AppRiver issue. AppRiver is easy to use and the staff very helpful.
  • Great Customer Service
  • Easy and clear user interface
  • Color scheme is rather dark/bland after you login, not a fan of the big grey strip.
  • Very confusing on the plans. We only pay for emails but have to click the 365 essentials and there's no explanation that you're not paying for the entire 365 package. Had to call IT a couple of times on setup as wanted to make sure to get the correct plan.
  • Explanation pop-ups when you hover over options would be very helpful.
AppRiver is easy, simple, and has great customer service. I've only used it for Microsoft emails, which we hated and are trying to get out of, which will not be easy as we will have to migrate the emails again.
Very helpful customer service. My favorite feature is the chat as I can multi-task and am not tied to a phone at my ear. Answered all my questions and very friendly.
The interface is simple and easy to use, which is definitely a time-saver, but I don't always understand all the options, so if there were explanation icons or pop-ups, that would be helpful.
August 21, 2020
We use AppRiver to support all employee user email accounts. I am the admin and manage all accounts through AppRiver. I typically use it weekly to add new users, remove users, update licenses, and most recently, to add a new line of business so we added another server/domain within our existing appriver package. The support team was extremely thorough and helpful - from step by step on appriver to Office 365. They walked me through the process and helped me implement new users in our new company as well as for distribution groups, members on lists, adding secondary email accounts to current profiles for my teams.
  • Customer support - very quick response times, very helpful, patient support team
  • Response follow-ups - they will walk through any support needs and follow up with a guide on how to that you can share for your teams to reference
  • User interface can be simplified and more user friendly.
  • When making updates, adding user licenses, making changes it can take a bit for them to work and can be glitchy.
  • Managing user email accounts, new, existing, removing
  • Adding or updating user licenses for Office 365
  • Support for Office 365 apps, install guides
  • Support guides for company teams to be able to work remotely and still reference the guide to implement new accounts, update their apps, etc.
Support team is excellent - timely, thorough, friendly, and patient.
The user interface is easy to use, as everything is in one place. It does seem like it could be updated and simplified in terms of the layout and flow.
July 08, 2020
Dale Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use AppRiver for company wide inbound email filtering. AppRiver was recommended to me after the solution we used for a couple of years dissolved. We have been very pleased with its performance and ability to quarantine emails that are suspicious.
  • Very useful daily quarantine list emailed to users.
  • Suspicious emails can be viewed online in their sandbox to check validity before releasing from quarantine.
  • Multiple ways to filter emails (domain, email address, text, etc)
  • Link protection is one of the newest options available and we absolutely love it!!
  • When setting up a mail rule, you cannot use operators. For example, you cannot filter an email where the subject contains "bad word" and the header contains "header info" . You can only filter on one or the other, not together.
  • Perhaps make it a little easier to see why an email was quarantined.
I would highly recommend AppRiver for inbound email filtering. We have been very pleased with the performance and the ease of use. The occasional email does get through, but I have had that happen on any email filtering we have used in the past. Great product and great support as well.
I have only had to use support (chat) once or twice. The support has always been very polite and professional, and knowledgeable. As a matter of fact, I had to use chat support this morning and my issue was resolved within 5 minutes.
Coming from another vendor, the AppRiver interface took a little getting used to. But, that is not a bad thing. Everything is organized pretty well and finding your way around is pretty simple. Everything is labeled and easily identifiable. It is very easy to navigate.
Read Dale Johnson's full review
July 12, 2020
Brion Appling | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are an outsourced IT company and we are currently using AppRiver as the Office365 provider for a couple of our clients. Here are a few of the reasons we prefer AppRiver over other O365 providers:
  • Great Support!!
  • I always get through to support very quickly (within a few mins).
  • English speaking techs that are easy to understand.
  • Knowledgeable techs that can answer or assist me with my issues or can quickly escalate to someone who can.
  • My end users can call them directly, meaning faster resolutions for them, and fewer support calls to me.
  • Always have the right number of Licenses! If configured, when licenses are unassigned, AppRiver automatically removes them so that you're not paying for licenses you're not using.
  • Fast response to support calls.
  • Knowledgeable, easy to understand English speaking techs.
  • Automatic removal of unused licenses so that you never pay for unused licenses.
  • We had an issue with bills coming to us instead of going directly to the client that took a little longer to fix than we would have preferred.
  • It would be nice if the bills included the domain name. When I was receiving my client's bill, it was difficult to tell which domains the bill was for.
  • Cost a little more than from Microsoft directly.
Their support is head and shoulders above most companies in the industry!
I always get a knowledgeable easy to understand tech any time of day or night within a few mins (not within an hour or more like most of the industry) that answer my questions or assist me in fixing my issue quickly.
I find their portal interface confusing. I do not need to go into it very often, only for setting up new clients and adding/removing licenses. When I do need to go into it, I have a hard time finding what I need, but their support can help me get it taken care of quickly.
Read Brion Appling's full review
July 08, 2020
David Burnett | TrustRadius Reviewer
We're using AppRiver across our entire organization, for spam filtering, e-mail, and Microsoft Office licensing. We had a problematic on-premise Exchange server that needed to be retired, and our former spam filtering service wasn't accurate enough, so moving to AppRiver addressed both of these issues.
  • Easy user management
  • Excellent customer support
  • Smooth migration from on-premise to cloud services
  • Sometimes the Microsoft Office licensing isn't in sync with Microsoft
AppRiver is well suited for small to mid-sized companies. In these scenarios, it doesn't make sense to have an on-premise server. Utilizing AppRiver to migrate to the cloud, add spam filtering, manage licensing, and having tech support above and beyond going to Microsoft is perfectly suited in these scenarios and works extremely well.

Of course, large enterprises will still want an infrastructure of their own on-premise Exchange servers.
Every incident we've needed support with, AppRiver has been able to successfully circumvent any issues we experienced.
Initially, the interface was inconsistent, but with recent updates, the interface is much better. In either case, however, there wasn't any issue getting to where I needed to be, and getting the necessary work done.
Read David Burnett's full review
August 03, 2019
Hunter Clayton | TrustRadius Reviewer
AppRiver is great for storing a large amount of content that is generated within my organization. It is used in every department and can even be accessed by clients if need be. We store past contracts, lead lists, articles, pictures, meeting minutes, and much more. It is a powerful tool in our organization.
  • Storage
  • Usability
  • Protection
  • No complaints currently.
It is well suited for storing data and keeping your data safe and organized.
They are easy to contact and seem to really care about helping us if an issue ever arises or even if we just have a question.
Read Hunter Clayton's full review
September 13, 2019
We use AppRiver as our email filter for inbound and outbound emails. We use smart hosting to make sure that our emails are clean as they are delivered to our recipients.

We also only allow email delivery from their approved list of email delivery servers and have that as a rule on our firewall to keep all other connections from the internet from hitting port 25.

We also use their email encryption service that is difficult to use and manage as it's on a per-user basis and not at the domain level which makes it more difficult to work with. Also, my recipients of encrypted emails have to log in to a separate service to make this work and it is difficult to convince people to click on any links to get to our encrypted messages.
  • They have a great service and support team.
  • They have great simplified tools to manage our email flow and delivery.
  • They are affordable and I feel like I get a good amount of service for what we are paying.
  • They do not support DMARC and DKIM at this time and I don't know when or if they ever will.
  • Their SPF record is not great and can possibly cause issues, at least that is what my support company has told me.
  • Scanning of links in emails seems super limited and or non-existent. THings get through with completely bad malicious all the time and I assume they are not scanning them or they don't have a proper AV on their end.
  • Once a domain is whitelisted any bad emails that may be spoofing that email domain are let through and no other filters apply to the emails. It's frustrating to have to white list 20+ individual email addresses from a company and not be able to white list just the domain and not feel secure doing that.
I think AppRiver is suited for a small business looking for some basics for securing their email flow. Simple easy to use tools and the web GUI is great. The as-a-service feature is great as a small business doesn't have to set up or maintain scanning hardware or software on-premise. They also have a feature that caches emails if unable to be delivered, unfortunately, unlike other vendors they do not have an emergency inbox available online at this time.

I think larger businesses that need to ensure delivery of emails with DKIM and DMARC are going to find that this service is lacking and not able to handle some of the new norms of email security.
I would say they have great support for simple things, but once you have to dig deeper into issues that may be caused by things that are on their end the support gets thin and can be frustrating as they don't seem to have a second tier of support.

They don't have any info on DMARC or DKIM or when they will possibly be implementing it. Help with email delivery is super sparse unless you have their hosted exchange service. But when they are smart hosting they do not have much to add to why your email may not be getting where it was intended.
November 19, 2019
We were using it to cut down on the amount of spam we were receiving. It helped us to minimize these malicious emails that cost our company time and money.
  • There are a lot of options for filtering. You can do so by domain, email, and even countries.
  • It didn't block spam well enough. We constantly had spam and spoofed emails come through that many people thought were legitimate. Became a bit of a problem for us.
AppRiver is supposed to be good for blocking spam, but it let a lot through that it should have caught.
Their team seemed knowledgeable, but their suggestions rarely helped.

What is AppRiver?

With organizations facing new and unprecedented challenges, the need for a secure modern workplace has never been greater. As companies seek to achieve more with less and keep their increasingly remote workforces productive, they also face an array of evolving security and compliance needs. The AppRiver Secure Cloud provides a suite of productivity, security and compliance tools built on what the vendor describes as a secure, easy-to-manage platform designed to help users meet these challenges. It combines Microsoft 365 services, advanced threat protection, email encryption, large secure file sharing and unified information archiving – all backed by AppRiver support. The vendor boasts more than 80,000 organizations, including institutions in healthcare, finance and government, trust AppRiver to enable their employees to do their best work.

AppRiver Features

Has featurePolicy-based email protection and data loss prevention
Has featureGold standard email encryption
Has featureUnlimited cloud-based storage and eDiscovery for over 50+ data sources
Has featureSecure transmission and indefinite storage, sharing any file type up to 100 GB
Has featureAdvanced threat protection with adaptive, machine learning capabilities and multi-layer filtering
Has featureMicrosoft 365 access backed by 24/7/365 live support