Reviews (1-5 of 5)
Apptio Technology Business Management is being used as our internal infrastructure billing and reporting system. We are working to complete our install of the ITP Planning and forecasting tool as well. We have also created a special module to handle our transfer pricing and allow international users access to chargeback details. The system is available to all users in the organization but mainly focuses on the IT users and application owners. Chargeback and cost transparency is the main reason why we are using Apptio Technology Business Management.
- Apptio Technology Business Management is easy to use from a reporting standpoint. Reports can be created quickly and end users can filter as needed to retrieve the desired data.
- Apptio Technology Business Management has been able to eliminate manual processes that involved numerous Excel spreadsheets. This enables the users to spend more time on analytics and less time on data manipulation.
- The transparency that Apptio Technology Business Management provides at the click of a button helps reduce the number of questions that the IT area receives. When questions are raised they are more focused and easier to understand.
- Apptio Technology Business Management struggles with some of the report formatting. We are using it in place of Excel and simple things like freezing the header and the left column are not available in Apptio Technology Business Management.
- Reports can become very large and the scroll bars on the page will impact users. When creating a report, the monitor size is very important. If you are working on a big screen the reports will be difficult to use on a smaller laptop screen.
- The refresh or warming time can become an issue based on the number of reports and the amount of data that you have in the system. Being able to identify reports that are driving this up are not easily identified.
Read Rick Eckoff's full review
If you are trying to understand your IT costs and have cost pools and services defined then you are in a good position to move forward. If you are missing one of those items, spend the time getting that figured out before trying to implement the system. You can do that in parallel and use the ATUM model but it will not be an quick implementation. Ask what services Apptio can help with during the implementation process. They have some very good resources that can help provide best practice details from other customers.
July 30, 2014
Apptio is one of the best Technology Business Management products in the market. It is a highly flexible platform and provides unprecedented ease of use.
- Service Costing – if you have to buy any module, this would be it! Comprehensive bottom up services cost analysis and reporting.
- Bill of IT – Great module if you do charge backs. Can also help with Show Back of costs to the business.
- Vendor Management – Manage SLAs and align those with vendor performance. While there are other products in the market that provide better functionality, this would be for a novice in this space.
- Service Costing – Clean up the inference engine. The inference engine helps automatically map relationships between data. It is however, prone to error.
- Application performance – Apptio was plagued by terrible application performance and response. They ned to work on this aggressively if they aspire to be the market leader.
- Application Lifecycle – This is an area that changes constantly and the company needs to really address it. A normal DEV to STAGE to PROD would suffice. Not the current mix of backwards and forwards environment copies which are tedious and confusing.
Read Dennis Otieno, MBA, PMP, MCITP's full review
Apptio is simple to deploy (SaaS) and provides a quick time to value. Your data does not have to be cleaned to use the tool. However, having clean data would help tremendously. Start off simple (e.g. server costs) and grow the tool (e.g. Applications costs and ROI) as your team matures in using the tool.
October 18, 2014
Score 9 out of 10
- Apptio uses data from IT operational and financial systems to relatively quickly construct a flexible, actionable set of budget, cost, and operational models and reports that are expected to become even more accurate over time. Our visibility to near-real time consumption and related costs of IT Services is a powerful capability presenting important opportunities for decision making and performance improvement progress.
- Data normalization, process re-engineering support, predictive analytics.
As IT becomes more and more integrated into the business, Apptio provides a valuable enterprise-level solution to companies with large IT expenditures that don't already have solid IT service costing, planning and performance measuring capabilities in place. Uncovering even small amounts of savings and performance improvement opportunities should more than pay for the relatively easy to implement, SaaS-based platform.
- Online training
- In-person training
Read this authenticated review
Solid support so far, primarily focused on implementation.
July 22, 2014
Apptio enables Fortune 100 organizations to see what their IT department is spending, how it is utilizing their resources, and how those resources are being consumed by the company. It is truly unique and the capabilities are endless. Most companies have servers that have been retired which are still being paid for, implemented expensive technology such as Tier 1 storage that is not being utilized, and it holds the business units or managers accountable. Apptio provides the facts based on data to let the CIO make effective decisions with the IT resources and financials!
- The reporting of the data is second to none. The standard out of the box reporting shows incredible insight and gives the information execs need to make the correct decisions.
- Showing companies what data to collect and how to go about creating and collecting consistent data
- Providing visibility into the IT department unlike any other software. Really making the unknown come to life in reports
- Always improving and getting better. Every two weeks a new iteration is released
- Features are becoming easier to use, but like any software there is a constant progression
- Getting companies on the right track for not only finding data but collecting consistent data
Read this authenticated review
Apptio is perfect for a company with a large IT spend and an overwhelming amount of complexity. It is a cloud-based software and is truly cutting edge. After working with the software for a few months now it is absolutely astonishing to see the benefits and capabilities it provides many companies that they did not have any clue about before!
Apptio is managed and used within the IT department. We have modeled 100% of IS cost into Application TCO and other IT Services for the purposes of cost transparency. We use the information internal to IS for Application Rationalization and to have value discussions with our business clients.
- Proprietary, standardized IT data model built into the system. Enables very rapid deployment. Also, by having defined data, it makes it easier to know what to ask for and find it within the organization. Also enables "like for like" benchmarking.
- The standardized IT data model allows Apptio to deliver a robust set of reports out of the box.
- Customer support is well beyond expectations. Outstanding. Apptio is a true business partner.
- Technology Business Management Council is a leading group of CIOs developing the practice and driving new features into Apptio.
- TBM is such a new practice, finding resources that either know it or can learn it is challenging. This is no fault of Apptio's, but we rely on them heavily to show us best practice and deliver value proposition. Thankfully their field support engineer is very dedicated to helping us.
Read this authenticated review
Well suited for IT Cost Transparency or Service Costing efforts. Key questions to look for when selecting a tool to do this are:
- Standardized cost model built into the solution
- Number of other customers in your industry vertical. For benchmarking purposes.
- Support for extending cost models beyond IT spend. Apptio has named this "Enterprise Business Management". After IT expense is modeled, this is the next logical maturity path. In order to effectively provide financial management for shared services or end-to-end services, there will be expense outside of IT that needs to be modeled.
- Is on premise field support included?
- Capability to integrate with your Service Catalog platform.
Apptio Scorecard Summary
What is Apptio?
Apptio is a a Technology Business Management solution.
Categories: Technology Business Management
Apptio Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Apptio Technical Details
|Mobile Application:||Apple iOS|