Reviews (1-25 of 87)
- Arena allows for easy customization and this is beneficial because the company can set up the PLM to meet their specific needs and tailor it to their business.
- The interface is very user friendly and this helps to eliminate the apprehension of using a system for an employee who is not a computer expert.
- Policies and user groups allow administrators to control what certain employees can and cannot see. This control keeps data accuracy intact and helps to create a structured approach to data acquisition.
- It is difficult to move from the demo environment to the live environment when setting up the system. The data can be transferred but the specific configurations cannot.
- There seems to be so many options to customize configurations with the exception of notifications. It would be nice to be able to modify the automated notifications that users receive in certain cases (add additional employees to notifications, etc.).
- The Quality world, in my opinion, is a bit limited in how you can customize it.
- Notifications should be able to be sent to supervisors and other interested parties in the Training world when employees are late in completing their training assignments.
- Feedbacks that result in potential future enhancements have no follow up with the submitter so you never know whether your suggestions will be implemented or not.
It is used for:
- All item (component level up to the SKU level) documentation (phase, revision and change control)
- QMS from our documented procedures and processes to utilization of the Arena Quality Module for several quality templates. The out of the box templates are easy to edit and others are easy to create.
- Supplier management allows for rating, supplier-specific audit traceability, and quality tracking.
- Training is a one-stop shop that records and provides a historical record for each employee. I like that this tool allows quizzes to be added which holds the employee accountable for actually reading and understanding the material content.
- Change Control allows for online CCB (no more scheduled meeting times) which is interactive and allows for a faster approval and release process.
- Quality management allows for identification of trends using analytics to extract the data for review.
- The Arena total solution moves auditors through the process in a "one-stop shop" that satisfies many areas of standard requirements such as ISO 9001 and others.
- Currently, in the automotive industry components, sub-assemblies and the system level assembly must meet rigorous standards. An example would be a component that must meed RoHS 3 requirements, AEC-Q testing requirements and others. These requirements must be identified and tracked and we were hoping to use the compliance tracking to do so. Unfortunately, we are only allowed to identify one type of compliance which is identified by a green check mark.
- Bill of Material, with all specs attached
- Release process (CCB, ECO process)
- Project mapping and Gating process
- Tracking by crossing any information in the database
- Ease of implementation, training and using the product
- More ERP capabilities, so we could use 100%, for prototyping Manufacturing without using external ERP system
- Allows for customization of configuration data to aid in locating items and to encourage component reuse.
- Supports a consistent change management system to ensure changes are effectively and consistently communicated to all stakeholders.
- Tracks data history and BOM configurations for reproduction of build configurations. Provides visual redline changes to clearly define updates to BOMs.
- Configurable licenses to allow for appropriate access for a variety of users.
- Supports communication with contract manufacturers with the ability to share data.
- We would like to see more options for the admin to do updates or exports of the configurations of our workspace to view categories/attributes in a spreadsheet all at once. Also to view licenses and policies of our users.
- I'd like to see the supplier custom attributes expanded to be able to support multi-select dropdown, similar to what you recently created for Items attributes.
- We are anxiously awaiting the ability to customize the "supplier rating" field to something other than "approved/disapproved/unrated."
- BOM building
- Easy item creation
- Revision visibility and access to previous releases
- Easy supplier item creation
- No flexibility in customizing ECO routing, information cannot be updated once initiated
- BOM allows duplicate items instead of combining qty
- No flags for duplicate PN's linking same vendor item
- Changes module is not customizable to add SN or date fields in implementation
- Needs better EPR system tie-in or offer procurement module
- No low-cost read-only access, becomes expensive if used across entire organization
- Bill of material.
- Quality module - CAPA Workflow.
- Quality module - Risk Management File/Design History File/Device Master Record.
- The reporting interface is fairly weak. We export to Excel to organize and sort the data.
- Linkage could be improved. I'd like to ability to link to closed workflows within the Quality Module.
- Integration with SolidWorks
- User-friendly interface
- Saved Searches
- BOM structuring that isn't arbitrarily alphabetic
- Bulk functions through the regular interface, not through imports of .csv
- Access configuration for external supplier users
- Allowing admins to view as other user levels
- Associating files to certain parts
- Creating BOMs
- Assigning costs and quoting information, also the breakdown of costs for each part
- I like the tab views under BOMs, indented, flat, sourcing, purchasing which I often use to verify BOMs quickly.
- Under Costing, Edit Costs, once I click on quoted or rolled up I have to wait for the whole page to reload and then save changes. I am not sure why the whole page refresh is needed when I select these options.
- On the BOM tab, it would be nice to add or remove columns that I need to view which are relevant to my purposes.
- Auto-caps for naming would be a nice feature to enable. We use all caps for naming of our parts.
It is pretty well automated. It is very useful for adding parts and creating large assembly mechanical BOMs. Most of our BOMs include both mechanical and electrical assemblies.
Page refreshes could be avoided in certain areas. The only things that I don't like about Arena are the page reloads, which are too frequent or not needed in some areas. Some page reloads are faster and some reloads are not. BUG: I noticed that sometimes that when a reload a BOM page, it does not load up all the parts and displays a page with no parts in the BOM. A refresh of the page solves it but some people ignore the page refresh and claim that there are no parts in the BOM which is annoying.
- Tracks our review and approvals
- Tracks our change requests and orders, and history of change
- Holistic view of the item record, and links it dynamically to other pieces of data
- I would love the Quality world to have a Quality World only, admin.
- I find Analytics hard to use and not well supported, had some help trying to build out a Dashboard, but eventually gave up and moved to another tool. Would love it to be enhanced for the user in future releases to make it friendlier of a tool.
- I have some ideas on enhancing Supplier content, would love to discuss, but includes for example the ability to have Suppliers get notification and participate in change order without seeing each other.
- T process of creating items and change orders, it is easy to use and very clear.
- Training Videos are very helpful, the help tab is very useful.
- The interface is very clean and easy on the eyes.
- Advanced search is very helpful.
- Drag-and-drop files directly into items.
- When I try to upload a file into an item and press cancel, then try again to add a different file in that same box and press done, the upload is not successful...I would need to delete that box in order for a the upload to work.
- See where used for each item and purchasing and sourcing info all laid out clearly when BOM is created correctly
- Pictures can be added to each item
- Cost options, prototype and production
- Search! While searching for items with "Any" it cannot search our records extensive enough to provide a result. If I have a supplier number and search using any field, it gives NO Results, however if i search under supplier item number a result shows up. Shouldn't ANY field give a result?
- Import files makes it easier to create/update several BOM changes across many part numbers.
- Easy to search to find ECOs and documents stored in the system.
- Unable to edit/update BOM on previous revisions of part number.
- The sourcing and supplier access is confusing. Difficult for companies that are approved suppliers to see part number.
- Implementation of the product was fantastic. We worked closely with our solutions architect and he trained the team to understand the product fully. During the first part of the project, it was overwhelming learning all aspects of the product. We wondered why he could not just move all the information from our old system to Arena. As we moved through the process and the team had a better understanding of the product, it was apparent why Arena equips the user with the knowledge and wants them to be the experts in Arena. At the end of the process we were experts in the product and could fix issues ourselves and understand how we could better use Arena to manage our parts.
- Arena has not had any major bugs or issues with their software. The product works as documented and designed.
- The help videos and documents are very helpful and easy to access by anyone in our organization. They can help themselves, rather than relying on IT support.
- There were a few fields that we could not modify. They were standard fields that Arena would only allow specific data. It would have been nice to be able to modify the field and customize as we wished.
- We wish there was a shared user license. There are some users that might only use the product once per month. It would be nice if they did not need to hold their own user license to access information.
- When approving changes or requests, or completing a task in a project, it would be nice if the system automatically notified all down stream users with open items that the task was completed.
- Searching. The advanced search is very flexible yet guided to narrow down a search to a short list when you are trying to find something
- Our migration from Agile and Parts and vendors was complex, but well supported. The transition team met with us weekly and responded quickly to our concerns and issues. Our experience may have been extreme, but Arena stood by us and helped us navigate many tough situations.
- Administering and reconfiguring the database is very straightforward and quick. I love the fact that an Engineer can come to me and say, "I need this new parameter for a capacitor" and I can resolve his request in 2 minutes.
- I find it frustrating that the filtering or logic for searches and for reports is different. A database query is a database query and I should have the FULL range of options (like looking for NULL values) everywhere, or using NOT in search logic, or using OR in search logic (available sort of, with the ANY search, but not in Reports)
- Extracting reports from the Quality world is very awkward. Because the details are stored with the field name in a long list, there should be CROSSTAB QUERY functionality built in to Arena that will allow me to extract data in a tabular format instead of a long list of different fields and data. [I currently have to take the output from Arena and put it into MS Access where I perform a CROSSTAB QUERY to reformat the data to a grid with each field in a different column.
- I would really like to see the functionality (well controlled) to allow Attributes to be DECOUPLED from Revisions, like the recent addition of Cost. I would like to be able to have an Inventory qty attribute for each of my factories, so that the Engineers have some sense of what is on hand when obsoleting a part. It goes beyond that and My intent is to have weekly uploads (refreshes) of Inventory data from the ERP systems used in our different facilities into Arena, where more people in the organization have access.
It works OK for quality data
It does not work for Inventory mangement
- On many screens, there are multiple options to do other things, such as attach items just created to requests or changes. Each screen has a lot of buttons or commands that can be executed from there, rather than going back to another screen to start doing something else.
- The Bill of Material expand/collapse options are very useful, and the ability to see at a glance whether items have other pending changes is great. It helps us either consolidate several changes or process them in a specific order as may be appropriate.
- The request and change worlds are easy to use and configure. We have reduced our engineering change cycle time using these features.
- The Reporting module is seriously limited, and really only allows the reporting of rather basic information and from only one module at a time (for example, I have to pull data separately from the requests and then the changes module), then link resulting spreadsheets together to get overall cycle times for our engineering change control process.
- The Help system should be improved with more details. For example, a recent new feature of using multi-select attributes should be explained in the help section and examples described on how to import data to multi-select attributes.
- For PDX exports of changes, the FILTER option is still not available. This is very valuable to my company to allow us to filter out files/items contained in changes that are for internal consumption only, that we don't want to share with external parties.
- The API integration capability is under considerable scrutiny at my company. We deployed it to integrate with our ERP system and it has been a disappointment, to say the least. Not reliable. It takes too long before data transfer can be verified. We are currently considering other options.
- Item and BOM management
- Configuration control / Change management
- Quality process, action/response reporting and collection
- Collecting and Reporting on Compliance - RoHS / REACH / Conflict Minerals / etc...
- Admin access - needs to be 2 levels so that some users can create accounts, but cannot do system configuration or configuration changes. And / Or, that you can set what workspaces an Admin has access to
- Administrator - Settings: I manage multiple workspaces for several business units. I would like to be able to go into Settings and make changes to multiple workspaces, by using the "Change Workspace" functionality in Settings. However, that does not work properly. I am forced to "Return"to the active workspace, then choose another Workspace, then go back to Settings (for each workspace I need to make changes in). This is very cumbersome and inefficient when needing to make changes to multiple workspaces.
- History - It would be nice to see the actual history of "Who" has made modifications to a Unreleased and Working Revision. Currently, it only shows the last person and not a running log.
- There are more things, but this form seems currupt
I think Arena is well suited for small to smaller midsize companies. However, for larger companies, I'm on the fence about weather Arena is really the right choice. I think there are some definite modifications to usability, for both end user and Admin. that need to happen to accommodate larger mid size, and large companies.
That said, I think that Arena could, with some changes, fit all sized companies
- Arena's access policies do a very good job of limiting what my users can see and do very effectively.
- Arena does a very good job of communicating changes that are going to occur in their software and when necessary online training for each new release.
- Arena's customer success personnel are very helpful and they get respond back to you in a very timely manner (at least our company's contact does).
- Although Arena has vendor access it is at times very time consuming to set up access to all the parts that they can see (large new assemblies in particular).
- When very small errors occur during a change (ones that wouldn't affect the content that was approved by the approval group) it would be nice to be able to have a super user that can correct these.
- All items and fields on an ECO are locked down once a change is routed for approval. It would be nice to have some fields on a change available to edit for users on the approval group and have the materials disposition open to update these for the approval group's area of interest. These changes would also need to be able to have the approval group a tiered concept vs just one whole one.
- Data is stored on the Cloud. Data retrieving is responsive and convenient.
- Supplier access for collaboration
- Does not require high level of maintenance
- One of the major features an account admin should have is the ability to perform edit during ECO/ECR change review. It is a risk but the account admin should have the ability to determine the risk and update without rejecting the ECO in review with minor changes.
- Core default attributes are so generic and cannot be modified (renamed) to complement new custom attributes.
- Limit number of characters for custom attributes. I believe currently the maximum is 1000 characters.
- In several areas, the Arena system lacks the tracking history of activities of all Arena users. Examples: changes to requests and changes (ECR/ECO/FSR), users submit comments, emails notifications from analysts to suppliers, etc.
- Tracking users account history currently is limited to 6 months
- Comprehensive - We have not yet come across an issue where Arena did not have a solution.
- Flexible - We are able to build custom Attributes into our records to match our execution model.
- UI is not intuitive - User flow is not intuitive or similar to comparative tools or standardized tools. User interaction buttons are not consistent in location and descriptions are not effective in conveying interaction effects. Having said that, once you get past the learning curve the flow/interaction does make sense and becomes less frustrating.
- Integration of suppliers, from around the world, into our processes.
- Management of engineering changes.
- Project management - we all have the "same version of the truth" for the status of a project.
- Improved integration of Arena to native CAD
- Improved integration of Arena to ERP
- Keeping a snapshot of a particular assembly of parts at a given moment in time is the main function that we rely on from Arena.
- Arena helps us build a library of parts that can be searched and cataloged properly
- Navigation is still a task that requires power-user level of understanding. I would love a simpler way to see a clearer picture of my products, perhaps even a top-down diagram for each product, and an easy way to find the top level of each.
- Pulling information from parts vendors such as Digikey and mouser
- Managing 1: many part relationships
- Change management
- Formatting BOM exports. Today, there is no way to export a BOM that looks like the sourcing view of the BOM in Arena
- Having different revisions of a component in different BOMs. To my knowledge, there is no way to have rev 1 of component A in one BOM and rev 2 of component A in a different BOM
- BOM control
- Controlling approved documents to make sure everyone uses the most current approved file.
- Quality control
- Data Export
- Takes a long time to set up.
- Must enter BOM in 1 item at a time.
- Don't have full control. Must use Arena support to control back end.
1. Maintaining the approved vendor list for each component.
2. Generating BOM on demand by directly interface with our CAD system.
3. Collaborating design effort between different engineering departments for optimal design cycle.
4. Sharing information between cross-functional teams for project planning/executing with efficiency.
- Providing means of generating accurate PCBA BOMs from our CAD system.
- Keeping track of our electronic component approved vendor list.
- We have yet figure out on how to make BOM item numbers non-consecutive, e.g. 5, 10, 15, 20 vs. 1, 2, 3, 4, due to the dynamics of our business requirement. The skipping of item numbers allows space to add new items without reassigning item numbers for existing components therefore minimizing document/drawing update.
Arena Scorecard Summary
Arena Solutions help companies to design, produce, and deliver innovative products quickly with the company's unified PLM and QMS platform. Areena understands modern product companies rely on distributed teams and global supply chains to develop products, ensure regulatory compliance, and respond to customer demands.
The vendor states they presently support more than 1,300 complex high-tech electronics and medical device customers around the world to bring electrical, mechanical, and software designs together into a single solution. Arena enables every participant throughout the entire product lifecycle to work together–increasing visibility and traceability. This accelerates new product development (NPD) and new product introduction (NPI) by streamlining processes, automating review cycles, and reducing errors to increase profitability.
With Arena’s cloud solutions, internal teams and external partners can leverage a comprehensive product development platform to accelerate product launches while reducing expenses, increasing profitability, and speeding the time to market.
Arena Videos (2)
Arena offers flexible packages to fit your team’s needs ensuring you get the right capabilities to meet your specific business requirements so you never overpay. Our cloud-based PLM and QMS solutions include role-based subscriptions to meet your diverse team needs with the necessary security to protect your product information. Our fixed-fee QuickStart™ implementations help us deploy rapidly to provide the lowest total cost of ownership.
Arena Support Options
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Arena Technical Details