Asana Reviews

page V | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 10, 2020

Asana: Best all around project management tool

Pros and Cons

• Timelines: With Asana, you can create Gantt charts that show you preceding/needed action items. When a part of a project is delayed, you can track how that will affect the forward trajectory of the project.
  • User management / Roles in relationship to tasks: Asana allows you to see individual users and assign them tasks in an overall project, while also being able to see what items are needed as a whole. It allows you to see who is doing what and when.
  • Organized File storage: There's one master view for file storage, OR you can store files in individual tasks. Overall, for visually-driven individuals - and for those who need a strong sense of organization, it's not that helpful.
  • Visual organization inside of tasks: The view inside of tasks could be improved for visually focused individuals; I find myself wanting more of a "notebook" view that better integrates different types of media and notes altogether.
Read page V's full review
July 16, 2020

Great for project management

• Project management.
  • Organization.
  • Visibility.
  • The view can be a little difficult because it's so busy.
  • When submitting a task request, the person submitting is not automatically tagged.
  • Would love a view to see everything I've been tagged in.
May 21, 2020

Asana gives me peace

Pros and Cons

• I find Asana's user interface easy to navigate and manipulate. Drag and drop options are built-in, the graphics are clean and clear, and it is easy to figure out how to accomplish tasks I hadn't previously done.
  • Asana is versatile, allowing various layouts (list or tiles) to accommodate the various programs and projects I need to manage.
  • Asana has good collaboration tools. Team members can receive real-time updates (if they choose) when tasks are completed, and messages can be sent within Asana.
  • Asana has great integration with Google, Microsoft, Slack, and other tools to really tie it into my organization's existing tools.
  • Asana uses a "freemium" model. I currently use the free instance, but there are many more useful features available for the Premium model.
  • I have never found My Tasks, the to-do list of Asana, to be particularly helpful. I would like to see an opportunity to prioritize those tasks on the to-do list manually.
  • Asana has a number of icons available for project links, but it would be nice to upload custom icons.
Adam Lumley | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Asana for Project and Team Management

Pros and Cons

• Project management. Asana makes it easy for anyone to organize their projects and break them down into sub-tasks.
  • Accountability. Being able to break down projects into tasks and assign due dates, who is responsible, etc is very helpful. Asana sends reminders for the project owner to help keep everyone on task and makes it easy to follow up.
  • Communication. We have our Slack and Outlook integrated so we are able to keep tabs on our project no matter what and read it all in one place (Slack).
  • The inbox feature can be a little overwhelming if you are work with Asana just from its project boards and only checking it periodically. It would be great if it auto-cleared once a project/task is marked complete.
  • Email notifications can get excessive. You have complete control over them but initially, they can be annoying until you set the frequency you want them. It would be better if this was set during the sign-up process.
  • Notes, discussions, and attachments in subtasks sometimes go unnoticed if working from the main project board.
Read Adam Lumley's full review
Chad Carman | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 17, 2020

Worth every penny to increase productivity

Pros and Cons

• Ability to set it and forget it. Create a task as soon as you have it and assign a due date then you have no worries about forgetting it.
  • Keeps priorities in order
  • Allows for communication on specific tasks within Asana keeping most relevant files available.
  • Would be nice to be able to print task calendars as we keep our content calendar in Asana
Read Chad Carman's full review
Kate Knight | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 11, 2019

No compromises with Asana!

Pros and Cons

• The app is extremely useful.
  • The subtask feature has been extremely helpful when we have several steps that need to be taken care of for a project.
  • Email notifications - For each task, subtask, comment, I receive an email. This is unnecessary when I have the app on my phone.
  • Software integration with Gmail would be a huge benefit.
Read Kate Knight's full review
Debbie Gillum | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 09, 2019

A great tool for tracking to-dos and projects

• To-do list tracking
  • Project management
  • Work flows
  • Scheduling
  • I wish it implemented easier with Outlook or Gmail. I would like for it to be easier to send tasks from email to Asana.
  • I think there's room for improvement in terms of how easy it is to make new Section Headers for tasks and lists.
  • I'd like for more aspects of the interface to be customizable.
Read Debbie Gillum's full review
Catherine Zauner | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 26, 2019

Great tool for collaborative teams

Pros and Cons

• Project management - the ability for us to track our projects all in one place is very helpful. transparency makes it easy for everyone to be on the same page.
  • Marking projects/events complete as they happen - the fun animation makes every completed task feel like a win, and it makes using the tool more fun. Very helpful when doing something that is normally tedious.
  • For what I use it for, there is nothing I could recommend.
Read Catherine Zauner's full review
Richard Peterson | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

Asana is our global solution

Pros and Cons

• We like the detail that can be put into the updates and we have learned to say more with fewer words.
  • By updating your tasks in Asana you are letting people know where you are on the items, without them having to reach out to me.
  • We like the fact that you can all alert by task by an individual to keep key stakeholders informed. And it is easy to add or delete these alert recipients.
  • The only complaint we have is making more features available in the bases product. Some of the more popular features are upgrades costing a larger investment.
  • Quarterly credit card billing would be appreciated.
  • More training modules (video or PPT) would help the on-boarding of new members greatly. We sometimes have to do a quick WebEx to get new members up to speed.
Read Richard Peterson's full review
JATIN GUPTA | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

Asana # Development is easy now...

Pros and Cons

• Project development stages and content sharing
  • Internal Communication is strong point of asana.
  • remote and easy access, as its application version is also available.
  • The new request of projects must be as per order.
  • The communication mode on online active calling must be added
  • cost need to be re considered.
Read JATIN GUPTA's full review
Berlynn Pierce | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 26, 2019

Asana: yes to communication, no to visual assets

Pros and Cons

• Simple to create teams depending on which group you need to be part of. I am currently only able to view one team which happens to house 10 Projects.
  • I can easily communicate with multiple people on one project and can avoid email chains.
  • A board can be easily made that is visual in nature and can help the user see where a request is in the process.
  • Comments can get crazy: a single comment is emailed out to the entire group (that can be 10+ people). And it can be very difficult to go back in a conversation and view what the comment was referencing.
  • You can only comment on a project and not add another image or document.
  • The Description and team are always able to view but not always previous work done. For example, in a creative team, I can see the delivery but not the previous copy or design work just that it is complete.
Read Berlynn Pierce's full review
Anish Walinjkar | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Asana - Best of the breed for project task management

Pros and Cons

• It is easy to use and record a project's tasks.
  • The manager or any responsible team member can assign/reassign a task to other team members. It also sends email to all the participants and team members who are responsible for delivery of the task
  • The free version of Asana also comes with lots of features - like task assignment, monitoring, and tracking, email alerts, status tracking based on due dates etc.
  • It is good for managing tasks but has limitations if you need to track bugs/issues. For a bug tracking system one would also need some other information fields like Bug ID, Customer, Severity / Priority etc.
  • Adding custom fields - Not sure whether Asana allows it.
  • It allows you to attach documents. But it should allow you to put a screenshot in line with the text so that the person reading the description of the task/issue doesn't have to refer to an attachment for small screenshots.
Read Anish Walinjkar's full review
Ryan Durry | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 21, 2019

Easy to use but flexible enough to solve most of your daily problems

Pros and Cons

• Ease of use and access.
  • Shared locations for tasks and notes.
  • Easy retrieval of historical data and notes.
  • Does not work well as a communication tool -- email and chat functions still used to supplement daily workflow.
  • Daily calendars are not an option -- meeting invites and availability still fall to other tools.
  • Workload and portfolio management tools have moved to more expensive tiers and are out of reach for our team.
Read Ryan Durry's full review
Alicia Barevich, bCRE, bCEE | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 21, 2019

Pretty Project Management!

Pros and Cons

• Ability to hold editable information in multiple locations across a project plan. Steps, comments, sub-steps, etc.
  • Ability to check off tasks with an audit log.
  • Email reminders
  • Different customizable views.
  • I wish there were better "template" options. In order to streamline many projects with a similar look and feel, a lot of effort needs to go into creating a style guide for how they should be set up. This isn't critical but can maximize the use of Asana. However, with the granular effort it takes, and leaving room for human error when managing it, your projects can turn disorganized fairly quickly.
  • There are numerous menus and views but they can get cluttered together. Similar to templates, I wish you could better customize all of the elements of views and what you see in menus.
Read Alicia Barevich, bCRE, bCEE's full review
EDUARDO SANDOVAL | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 27, 2019

A very easy to use project manager

Pros and Cons

• Asana is very easy to use.
  • It integrates very well with other applications allowing data sharing.
  • It is an economic solution.
  • It is an application that is well oriented.
  • Technical support is sometimes slow.
  • Does not allow for customization of funds.
  • It does not have a very reliable security system.
Read EDUARDO SANDOVAL's full review
María Lucía Santagata | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 21, 2019

Asana: friendly interface to keep your projects healthy and happy

Pros and Cons

• It's very intuitive to use and its interface is modern and nice. Other project management tools don't have as nice an interface as Asana has.
  • It allows you to manage a LOT of projects and to customize them separately depending on the characteristics of each one.
  • It works smoothly in different navigators and also the desktop version works very well.
  • It allows integrations with great tools, such as Everhour.
  • The free version is very plain, I understand that nothing's for free but I think that, if it had some more functionalities available in the free version more people would buy the complete one.
  • I would like to use Asana in my phone without having to download the app.
  • Sometimes the notifications get spammy, I know you can deactivate some and activate others but, as default, they end up being spam and most of the times I lose the only ones I care about (when a task is done and when comments are made on a task).
Read María Lucía Santagata's full review
Jessica Sforza | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 14, 2019

Great tool for timeline and big picture project management

Pros and Cons

• Waterfall view of the timeline.
  • I like the drag/drop feature, and simplicity of using the tool.
  • Limited functionality.
  • You're able to see the big picture of what we need to accomplish, but not a great collaborating tool if the team is remote.
  • I found it tricky to sign-up and get set up in the tool.
Read Jessica Sforza's full review
Eric Serdar | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 14, 2019

I love Asana!

Pros and Cons

• Task management - It helps us keep track of all of the tasks that we're working on, prioritizing them, and making sure that they get completed.
  • Team collaboration - It makes it easy to work with other teams/departments and collaborate together.
  • I would love the ability to comment on files in the app. If someone uploads a pdf or a doc that needs review, then I have to download it, comment on it, and then reupload it. I would love it if it had a way to make comments on the document itself.
  • I wish that I could see all of the tasks that I'm a follower of. If you're not the one that the task is assigned to, then it doesn't show up in your feed. Having some sort of report of tasks that you're a follower on would be really helpful.
Read Eric Serdar's full review
Veronika Baranovska | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 12, 2019

Bring some Asana into your working day with this gem of a project management tool! 💎

Pros and Cons

• Broad functionality to suit teams of different sizes and styles of project management
  • Pleasant user experience
  • Easy to use and learn
  • Better workflows and structure for developers
  • Work in offline mode (new feature but could save a few minutes when my Internet connection cuts off)
  • Can be slow to load on big projects ( very rarely )
Read Veronika Baranovska's full review
Valentina Gutierrez | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 11, 2019

Asana is a great tool for managing projects

Pros and Cons

• It has monitoring of the percentage of progression of computer projects.
  • It gives us tools for displaying errors and can be installed on both desktop computers and mobile phones.
  • It has an excellent monitoring of milestones and a good collection of documents.
  • Your marketing planning software does not provide the ability to manage expenses.
  • In business process management you do not have data mapping or a complete analysis of the processes.
  • Your campaign management has no activations per event.
Read Valentina Gutierrez's full review
Chandos Schorstein | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Asana, project management at a great price....Nothing!

Pros and Cons

• Time management is fantastic. I can set multiple dates within a single larger project by using subtasks. That allows me to set overall goals as well as reminders for the smaller parts of jobs.
  • Assigning projects to team members, and myself, is a breeze. It's easy to identify at a glance who is responsible for what task in any given project.
  • Having a personal to-do list is also helpful. It keeps track of all of the projects you're assigned in one place.
  • Asana's inbox feed is great for keeping track of conversations you have on projects, reminders for due items, and anywhere you've been tagged or added to any project.
  • The cost for Professional is more expensive than our non-profit/church can afford. If there were either lower-cost options, or better pricing for churches, we would love the additional features Asana offers
  • The notifications aren't great. It overwhelmingly sends too many emails, so much so that I had to turn off notifications completely, and just rely on the internal Asana inbox.
  • There absolutely needs to be a desktop app. The mobile app is great, but not having one on my Mac makes using it cumbersome when it shouldn't be.
Read Chandos Schorstein's full review
Billy Barker | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Creative Directors ♥ Asana!

Pros and Cons

• Collaboration: Asana is a huge time-saver for each team member to be able to see what everyone is working on, in regards to the status, due date, etc.
  • Task Management: Asana makes task management easy. I have one monitor dedicated to my Asana Tasks screen, and I always know what needs to be worked on and what's coming up.
  • Efficiency: The ability for team members to easily assign tasks to one another, with notes, due dates, etc. is so much easier and faster than communicating these details via Email or in a meeting. This makes things more efficient for me, so I can stay more focused on the work at hand.
  • I would like the ability to block available due dates when co-workers assign me tasks. For example, if I am going to be out of the office for 7 days, 3 months from now, I would like to set those 7 days as unavailable. Then when co-workers go to assign a task to me, they do not select those dates, and understand I will not be able to complete any work during that time frame. This resolves the issue of wasting time having to go back and forth messaging one another or figuring out a more accurate due date when it could have been avoided from the start.
Read Billy Barker's full review

Task Management (101)
Resource Management (84)
Gantt Charts (2)
6.5
Scheduling (91)
Workflow Automation (76)
Team Collaboration (101)
Support for Agile Methodology (7)
Support for Waterfall Methodology (7)
Document Management (87)
Email integration (82)
Mobile Access (85)
Timesheet Tracking (6)
6.1
Change request and Case Management (4)
Budget and Expense Management (43)
Project & financial reporting (1)
5.5
Integration with accounting software (20)

About Asana

Asana helps teams orchestrate their work, from daily tasks to strategic initiatives. The vendor states that with Asana, teams are more confident, move faster, and accomplish more with less, no matter where they are located. Asana boasts more than 75,000 paying organizations and millions of free organizations across 195 countries as users, who manage everything from company objectives to digital transformation to product launches and marketing campaigns. Teams do great things when everyone has clarity and is empowered to do their part. Asana aims to give teams the confidence to plan, organize, and execute their most ambitious work from anywhere.

Asana Features

Has featureBudget and Expense Management
Professional Services Automation Features
Does not have featureQuotes/estimates
Does not have featureInvoicing
Does not have featureProject & financial reporting
Has featureIntegration with accounting software
Has featureWork Management
Has featureOKRs

Asana Screenshots

Asana Integrations

Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Microsoft Teams, Jira Software, Slack, GitHub, Zapier, Microsoft Power BI, Salesforce, Adobe Creative Cloud, Tableau

Asana Competitors