Reviews (1-25 of 97)
We use it as our HRIS system to track and manage employee profiles (job, dept, division, location info; personal contact info; compensation info; emergency details as well as a self-serve portal).
- Simple UI platform
- Ability to run reports and customize reports for various purposes - Report Manager component is easy to use
- Option to view accrued time and breakdown of accrual calculations
- Some errors in reporting data (i.e. location for employee set-up as Vancouver, however, report consistently pulls it as 'Undesignated')
- Employee Manager keeps logging out.. not efficient with multiple log-ins (remote desktop separate log-in from EE Manager, Set-Up Manager, etc)
- Simple UI leaves lots of rooms for error
- Lots of room for error (i.e. delete a field and field still shows up... lots of bugs)
1.) Ease of access to employee information
2.) Accurate employee information
3.) Benefit management
5.) Tracking employee documents for compliance.
- A clean system that is easy to navigate through and change information
- Ability to grow into the system and customize to our company's tracking needs and changes
- Robust system that holds a tremendous amount of critical information in one place
- An ability to automatically notify our employees through email/text and banner in ESS for expired or expiring employee documents
- Ability to track variable hour employees for ACA requirements in a more inclusive way. Some way for the system to hold hours worked, during specific periods of time and notifying employees automatically when they are eligible for benefits due to meeting the hour and measurement period requirements.
- Ascentis HR is particularly helpful in keeping a record of past jobs and/or managers. If you have an organization that lets employees move from one department to another fairly often, this software has a tool that will help you keep track when Employee "A" moved from Supervisor "X" to Supervisor "Y" as well as from Department "B" to Department "F" without having to restart that employees length of service.
- Ascentis HR also has a number of ways that you can customize tabs. If you want to keep track of something for your organization that you don't see on one of their prefabricated tabs or screens you can make one of your own. We have made several different ones to help us keep track of different information such as driver's licenses and expiration dates as well as specific training and/or orientation tasks that we want supervisors to accomplish with their new employees.
- Ascentis HR lets you upload documents (particularly pdf) to employees files, which is particularly helpful. Additionally, you can mark these so that the employee can or cannot see them when they log onto their side of the Employee Self Service. One of the things I particularly like about these uploaded documents is that each part cluster of tabs has its own tab for attachments. When you open the "Employee" section where you find information about the employee and his/her personal information as well as job information, you will also find a tab where you can put attachments for personal and/or job-related information - such as a job description sign off or something of the like. When you open the "Compensation" section you will find another tab for attachments, and this might be where you decide to upload copies of direct deposits if you require them or wage changes.
- One of the biggest issues I have had with Ascentis HR is that it lacks updates. We started using it four years ago. We stopped using it because we were trying to piecemeal three different systems together. We tried another system for two and a half years. That didn't work out any better. We decided to give Ascentis HR another try. I was hoping that there would be a few upgrades, but the system was largely the same. On the one hand, I admit it was nice because there was not a steep learning curve, but on the other, the technology was behind a lot of the other systems that we were presented with.
- The complaint that I hear the most from my employees is that there is no app for the program and that it is extremely hard to use on any mobile device. The Employee Self Service/Portal is set to be used on a computer or laptop - not a small mobile device. With so many people using their phones as the main internet source, it does make it difficult for many of our employees to access their self-service portal outside of the work environment.
- Because it is an older system, some of the things can be a little trickier to set up. Benefits are one of them. There are multiple screens that need to be gone through and rules that need to be built. It can seem a little like a choose-your-own-adventure at times. If you don't hit the correct button on the right page, you may miss out on options down the road. There is no real safeguard built in and no particular view mode to see if things were done correctly. You have to make things "live" in order to see if your rules and the benefits worked. In addition, once the benefits have been set up correctly for the employees, it still has to be mapped and moved over for payroll to be able to see things.
- Currently, we are using their remote desktop service which requires us to move anything we want to put on our Employee's Self Service Portal from our desktops to their remote desktops and then copying the correct path to bring it back to our online version of an old MySpace page. I know that they are trying, but it seems as though it is a lot of work for something that should be a lot easier to do with a few more layout and posting options.
- Although they do have some canned reports, most of the reporting functions take time to learn and is best done when one understands how to write Custom Reports to get the information that one is seeking. The Customer Service Reps are usually more than happy to help, but it does take time to explain just what you are looking for and how to make it into a report that would help you. Overall, I think that the structure of the reporting function is solid; however, the user-friendliness of it is not.
- The reporting capability and customization is of great use.
- The system is very user-friendly and doesn't require users to know and understand coding.
- The cloud availability is great for technology companies who don't necessarily conduct all of their business in one location. It allows flexibility with staffing and telecommuting for HR professionals.
- I really can't say that Ascentis needs to improve at this point. It's a great system for organizations who want a full-bodied system without the expense and downtime of implementation and training.
- Customer Service - our project manager listened to our struggles and was quick to ensure that she put the right people on our team to get us through. As a company, I feel our "asks" were a little difficult at times but Ascentis helped us get through it.
- Webinars - most of their webinars are very informative and give you more knowledge of the product.
- Implementation - the process is much longer than the sales presentation layout showed. If they had ONE combined workbook for ALL aspects of the Ascentis program, not just HR, it would help speed up the implementation process.
- Manuals - Ascentis doesn't have any manuals for their systems and they are currently working on them. As a new user, it is difficult not to have any type of reference material to refer to.
I am only selecting a 6 because of the struggles we had with implementation.
- Employee Self Service is excellent
- Notes, attachments to employee records are easy to use
- Management self service is also well thought out, although we would like to see managers included in their own team calendar views.
- We looked at the scheduling system available from Ascentis - in depth - it was almost what we needed for our paramedics, but not quite (NovaTime) - it would be great to move in that direction in the future.
- A way to connect leave calendars to MS Outlook would be a wonderful tool.
- The need to use remote desktop to get to Employee Manager and Setup Manager is cumbersome - people forget their passwords frequently - it would be nice to see Ascentis move toward web-based functionality for the entire thing.
We do not find the payroll function to be well suited to our needs - and as mentioned previously, the NovaTime scheduling system could not be customized to work for us without spending upwards of $20K US.
- Ascentis seems to allow more customization than other HRIS software packages I have researched. It allows you to set up custom tabs, work flows for approvals and renaming of fields so the software can be fit to your business needs.
- Employee self service is relatively straight-forward and easy for general users to figure out.
- Has the ability to run reports on pretty much anything. We use to create lists and cross-check data on a regular basis.
- User interface on back-end could really use some work. Unable to resize or tile windows to fit the user's preference.
- On back-end, it is way too easy to delete or change something on accident. Has some quirks that you just need to know when entering information.
- Very strange tendencies to allow customization of some things, but then not allow others. For example, recruiting software requires help from Ascentis support to delete an email template. UI for self service offers limited choice of fields for some tabs.
- Employee self service and manager self service function is just okay. There is no way for managers to create data-driven widgets or access any data from the system.
- Benefits Administration
- ACA 1095 processing
- ESS (excluding the widget tool - that is difficult)
- ESS Widgets - the widgets are a great tool but are so cumbersome to build I find we use them less and less
- In our past we used the time system and it wasn't really robust enough for our needs
- Reporting requirements are easier met thru both HR and Payroll reports
- HR feeds the payroll system all changes immediately and very smooth (rarely is a change missed and never on the system side)
- There are ZERO duplicated social security number issues using HR!
- Keeping the history of employees thru the HR system is very easy!
- Would love to see a report generator that can pull the history for employee rehires and terminations along with the dates.
- Easier understanding of how to create a report even with using the report wizard. Maybe more training suggestions.
- A benefits only status date (rather than having to use the ones in the employment screen.
Our company has 100 non-union employees and 70 union employees. All non-union employees use the self-service portal to sign up for benefits or enter personal info. The union employees do not receive benefits from us, therefore we did not add them to self-service.
Ascentis eliminates many spreadsheets and centralizes employee data.
- The benefits open enrollment worked great for us. Employees are able to see all the different options, compare plans, and calculate their monthly premiums as they sign up.
- The self service portal uses widgets that can be customized. We are able to keep employee updated with any changes.
- The report wizard is easy to use. We are able to create reports for any business question.
- Moving from one employee to another in the Employee Manager is a bit cumbersome.
- Moving from remote desktop to a web-based entry point would be nice.
- It would be nice to have all employee info in one place.
- Ascentis provides well-designed webinars that highlight key, critical information in order to fully utilize the software.
- The HR Support line is very helpful. The representatives are well-trained and have excellent customer service skills.
- The software itself is user-friendly and, in general, intuitive.
- Although the training provided is well-designed, all of it is webinar-based. A few remote classes with a "live" instructor would be helpful for those of us that are fairly efficient online, however, still appreciate interaction with a human.
- When Ascentis is trying to assist with selling additional features to an existing client, a more high-touch, less aggressive approach is appreciated.
- I have had some issues with different passwords for different features. Sometimes confusing.
- The great functionality of Timesheets and keeping track of PTO balances and forecasts
- Tracking teammates occurrences and call outs are what we utilize as well
- Expense reports/submitting and approving is very efficient in Ascentis, very user-friendly
- Loading - it's not an internet bandwidth issue, it's the application when you first log in
- The dashboard is very busy when you first log in, maybe a simpler version
- The color scheme can be more vibrant
- Our Project Manager was particularly helpful with implementation. She checked in weekly and was quick to respond when we needed additional help.
- We appreciate the ease of report writing and the simplicity of the HR side.
- We like having carrier connections available for our benefits enrollment.
- Timekeeping is actually a separate platform and is clunky compared to the Ascentis side. We really wish the timekeeping piece was under the Ascentis umbrella.
- Novatime is not user-friendly and, unfortunately, that is the part that employees and managers have to use.
I wish it were easier to modify the home page without having to "write code".
- We like the timekeeping capabilities. It lets employees know when they are approaching hours and seeing their weekly summary breakdown is helpful. It is very easy for our employees to navigate.
- The dashboard is fun and the widgets are a great way to keep all of our employees undated and informed.
- Ascentis support is wonderful too, they have been very helpful and very quick to respond every time we have reached out.
- Ascentis offers so many reports which is great. However, I find it sometimes difficult to navigate what reports I need!
- We have had multiple issues trying to upload during payroll processing when we have staff with too many transactions on their timesheet. Also sometimes our differentials do not work like they should.
- Flows to payroll in real time
- Self service portal makes sending messages to employees easy
- The benefits usually do not flow over to payroll very well and need a lot of work
- The information that flows over to payroll can be quite a bit different from HR and it does not receive all the information
- It can take a while to get all the new hire information
- Captures the employee's history
- Manages the document storage
- Handling an employee that has two roles within an organization that require different settings
- Rounding of salaries and hourly wages when passing from HR to Payroll to timing keeper.
- Allowing the employees to be able to change their personal information has made our employees feel like they have some control. They can look up their information whenever they feel like it - even from home.
- Allowing the employees to be able to view documents through My Attachments has been a huge money saver since we no longer need to print the documents. For example, we may have certain client feedback with specific instructions the employee should be following. They can refer to these instructions at any time in My Attachments, saving paper and ink.
- Ascentis HR is so new to us that right now, nothing seems to be "missing". However, the longer we work with it, there may be things we wish Ascentis HR could do for us that we will definitely request.
- Benefit enrollment through the self-service portal has been extremely helpful and saved lots of time.
- The report wizard is wonderful! What a breeze running the annual EEO-1 report!
- The ability to change managers for an entire department with one entry vs. individual entries for each member of that department saves is a time saver.
- I found building the benefits for open enrollment to be quite confusing. This may get easier with experience, but I found it to be difficult.
- Although employees have access to their pay stubs in the self-service portal, it would be helpful for their manager to have access to their stubs as well.
The Employee Self-Service portal has been a huge time saver for our company.
Open enrollment was much easier than ever before with the online access and options.
As a staffing company, we do our own payroll and tax reporting. For this reason, we did not purchase the tax portion of Ascentis, and we have had trouble running some of our quarterly tax reports that we were able to run with our prior software vendor.
- Customized tabs to track any data that is applicable to your company and be able to create reports from this data.
- Easily creating any necessary HR report without having to coordinate with IT or a programmer to get them done.
- Being able to have everyone in the company be able to access the necessary HR and payroll data no matter where they are. The home page has become our communication tool for everything.
- We are a 7 days, 20 hours a day business and Ascentis could improve by providing companies like mine more support on the weekends.
- Provides "one stop" for employees to obtain information on a number of areas 24/7.
- HR and Payroll have to be logged in to separately which is extremely inconvenient.
- Reporting is extremely difficult to use.
- Not intuitive or user-friendly from the administration side.
- Payroll requires early transfer of data which is sometimes difficult.
- Response to problems/trouble has been slow and has resulted in a fair amount of anxiety.
- Easy for the employees to use. They can access information at any time.
- Easy for managers to keep documents and conversations recorded
- HR support is truly lacking. An email or phone call goes into a black hole. This has been my complaint about the product the entire time I have used it. It can be days to a week before I receive a response by email. If I call, I always have to leave a message. I may get a return phone call, if I miss it, the process starts all over. They do not seem to believe in a dedicated support staff for the customer. Oddly enough, they do have dedicated support staff for the payroll product.
- This program needs some visual updating. It is capable of the same tasks or procedures as other HRIS systems, the current screens appear outdated and clunky. Not as "visually pleasing" as some other systems.
- The bolt on systems do not communicate well with each other. Recruiting notes do not flow into HR if the applicant is hired. The attachments do, but not the notes. The HT system has a approval process for notes and documents, but any notes made during this process disappear. Why have a place to enter them if they are immediately lost after approval.
- Need access to all items about an employee from one screen. Can limit access depending on job title.
Seems to keep track of a lot of data, but can not access that data again. Limited and clunky reporting process. Notes made in one area (recruiting, compensation notes) are not retained for future reference.
Again support is very poor.
- Recruiting system
- Onboarding system
- When we are able to get dedicated representatives it works better
- It takes an act of god to get a new user added
- The implementation team basically pushed off all of the work and were more concerned over wrapping up the project than getting things done right.
- No formal project plan for implementation
- We were promised a system that was flexible and would suite our needs but it doesn't come close.
- Performance system is a nightmare. Won't print everything you enter. Users would save their reviews and the info would disappear. They would have to start over.
- When building our platforms our implementation specialist Rebecca K. was exceptional. The service, dedication, and support was beyond amazing. She worked with us as if we were her only client, making us feel we were important and our needs and understanding mattered.
- The team at Ascentis ensured all managers were not only trained on their individual platforms but crossed trained on all platforms available. The training was designed to fit each individual training styles and needs verses fit all training. This allowed each manager to become an expert on their platform and the ability to cross train other managers and train their own staff.
- The instruction manual could be made simple allowing anyone, even someone who has never used the system the ability to download and complete the task without having to contact Ascentis support.
- The system does a good job of allowing the employee manage their benefits information.
- The system's recruiting module is particularly good at parsing candidate resumes into the relevant employee application fields.
- The recruiting module has good workflow functionality that provides those involved in the recruiting processes with proactive notifications and reminders on steps in the recruiting process.
- The performance module's user interface needs improvement.
- The recruiting module could use better search features.
- There is a fair amount of inconsistency between the UIs of the different modules. This needs to be brought into a single common user interface.
Overall, the recruiting module is fairly strong. The ability to create new requisitions is fairly straight forward once you have your standard job descriptions and related data loaded. The feature that parses resume content into the employment application is excellent. Would like more consistency in the user interface and a more intuitive web-based UI design.
The performance module is OK. The ability for employees and managers to record content during the year is a good feature. The annual performance evaluation process is fairly straight forward - we were able to roll it out to over 60 employees and did not have any issues. The way competencies are set up and managed by job title could be improved and the lack of a total competency score is a deficiency.
- Used by our HR department to feed payroll.
- Used by accounting to run reports.
- Allows us to keep all employee info in one area--improves efficiency
- Allows for dual authorization--HR inputs data and the Payroll department reviews
- HR sends changes over to Payroll. You have to approve items for the same employee in the order received or the system breaks--would be good to have the system recognize timing.
Ascentis HR Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Ascentis HR
Ascentis HR Competitors
Ascentis HR Technical Details