1.) Ease of access to employee information
2.) Accurate employee information
3.) Benefit management
5.) Tracking employee documents for compliance.
- A clean system that is easy to navigate through and change information
- Ability to grow into the system and customize to our company's tracking needs and changes
- Robust system that holds a tremendous amount of critical information in one place
- An ability to automatically notify our employees through email/text and banner in ESS for expired or expiring employee documents
- Ability to track variable hour employees for ACA requirements in a more inclusive way. Some way for the system to hold hours worked, during specific periods of time and notifying employees automatically when they are eligible for benefits due to meeting the hour and measurement period requirements.
- Customer Service - our project manager listened to our struggles and was quick to ensure that she put the right people on our team to get us through. As a company, I feel our "asks" were a little difficult at times but Ascentis helped us get through it.
- Webinars - most of their webinars are very informative and give you more knowledge of the product.
- Implementation - the process is much longer than the sales presentation layout showed. If they had ONE combined workbook for ALL aspects of the Ascentis program, not just HR, it would help speed up the implementation process.
- Manuals - Ascentis doesn't have any manuals for their systems and they are currently working on them. As a new user, it is difficult not to have any type of reference material to refer to.
I am only selecting a 6 because of the struggles we had with implementation.
- Employee Self Service is excellent
- Notes, attachments to employee records are easy to use
- Management self service is also well thought out, although we would like to see managers included in their own team calendar views.
- We looked at the scheduling system available from Ascentis - in depth - it was almost what we needed for our paramedics, but not quite (NovaTime) - it would be great to move in that direction in the future.
- A way to connect leave calendars to MS Outlook would be a wonderful tool.
- The need to use remote desktop to get to Employee Manager and Setup Manager is cumbersome - people forget their passwords frequently - it would be nice to see Ascentis move toward web-based functionality for the entire thing.
We do not find the payroll function to be well suited to our needs - and as mentioned previously, the NovaTime scheduling system could not be customized to work for us without spending upwards of $20K US.
- Ascentis seems to allow more customization than other HRIS software packages I have researched. It allows you to set up custom tabs, work flows for approvals and renaming of fields so the software can be fit to your business needs.
- Employee self service is relatively straight-forward and easy for general users to figure out.
- Has the ability to run reports on pretty much anything. We use to create lists and cross-check data on a regular basis.
- User interface on back-end could really use some work. Unable to resize or tile windows to fit the user's preference.
- On back-end, it is way too easy to delete or change something on accident. Has some quirks that you just need to know when entering information.
- Very strange tendencies to allow customization of some things, but then not allow others. For example, recruiting software requires help from Ascentis support to delete an email template. UI for self service offers limited choice of fields for some tabs.
- Employee self service and manager self service function is just okay. There is no way for managers to create data-driven widgets or access any data from the system.
- Benefits Administration
- ACA 1095 processing
- ESS (excluding the widget tool - that is difficult)
- ESS Widgets - the widgets are a great tool but are so cumbersome to build I find we use them less and less
- In our past we used the time system and it wasn't really robust enough for our needs
- Reporting requirements are easier met thru both HR and Payroll reports
- HR feeds the payroll system all changes immediately and very smooth (rarely is a change missed and never on the system side)
- There are ZERO duplicated social security number issues using HR!
- Keeping the history of employees thru the HR system is very easy!
- Would love to see a report generator that can pull the history for employee rehires and terminations along with the dates.
- Easier understanding of how to create a report even with using the report wizard. Maybe more training suggestions.
- A benefits only status date (rather than having to use the ones in the employment screen.
Our company has 100 non-union employees and 70 union employees. All non-union employees use the self-service portal to sign up for benefits or enter personal info. The union employees do not receive benefits from us, therefore we did not add them to self-service.
Ascentis eliminates many spreadsheets and centralizes employee data.
- The benefits open enrollment worked great for us. Employees are able to see all the different options, compare plans, and calculate their monthly premiums as they sign up.
- The self service portal uses widgets that can be customized. We are able to keep employee updated with any changes.
- The report wizard is easy to use. We are able to create reports for any business question.
- Moving from one employee to another in the Employee Manager is a bit cumbersome.
- Moving from remote desktop to a web-based entry point would be nice.
- It would be nice to have all employee info in one place.
- Ascentis provides well-designed webinars that highlight key, critical information in order to fully utilize the software.
- The HR Support line is very helpful. The representatives are well-trained and have excellent customer service skills.
- The software itself is user-friendly and, in general, intuitive.
- Although the training provided is well-designed, all of it is webinar-based. A few remote classes with a "live" instructor would be helpful for those of us that are fairly efficient online, however, still appreciate interaction with a human.
- When Ascentis is trying to assist with selling additional features to an existing client, a more high-touch, less aggressive approach is appreciated.
- I have had some issues with different passwords for different features. Sometimes confusing.
- The great functionality of Timesheets and keeping track of PTO balances and forecasts
- Tracking teammates occurrences and call outs are what we utilize as well
- Expense reports/submitting and approving is very efficient in Ascentis, very user-friendly
- Loading - it's not an internet bandwidth issue, it's the application when you first log in
- The dashboard is very busy when you first log in, maybe a simpler version
- The color scheme can be more vibrant
- Our Project Manager was particularly helpful with implementation. She checked in weekly and was quick to respond when we needed additional help.
- We appreciate the ease of report writing and the simplicity of the HR side.
- We like having carrier connections available for our benefits enrollment.
- Timekeeping is actually a separate platform and is clunky compared to the Ascentis side. We really wish the timekeeping piece was under the Ascentis umbrella.
- Novatime is not user-friendly and, unfortunately, that is the part that employees and managers have to use.
I wish it were easier to modify the home page without having to "write code".
- We like the timekeeping capabilities. It lets employees know when they are approaching hours and seeing their weekly summary breakdown is helpful. It is very easy for our employees to navigate.
- The dashboard is fun and the widgets are a great way to keep all of our employees undated and informed.
- Ascentis support is wonderful too, they have been very helpful and very quick to respond every time we have reached out.
- Ascentis offers so many reports which is great. However, I find it sometimes difficult to navigate what reports I need!
- We have had multiple issues trying to upload during payroll processing when we have staff with too many transactions on their timesheet. Also sometimes our differentials do not work like they should.
- Used by our HR department to feed payroll.
- Used by accounting to run reports.
- Allows us to keep all employee info in one area--improves efficiency
- Allows for dual authorization--HR inputs data and the Payroll department reviews
- HR sends changes over to Payroll. You have to approve items for the same employee in the order received or the system breaks--would be good to have the system recognize timing.
- ACA reporting is incredibly easy with Ascentis HR.
- It is somewhat user-friendly for employees to make updates to their elections.
- Ascentis HR is very versatile at selecting different types of reports.
- It's a bit cumbersome to set up the back end.
- You don't have a lot of control over certain aspects of the system. For example, if you want your FSA to pro-rate monthly charges, you have to contact support to create a special drop-down menu. There are other defaults such as adding coverage where Ascentis may default to the beginning of the next month versus the date of the event.
- Carrier connections aren't always reliable.
- The ESS system is great to have for our employees. This takes a lot of time off of HR and provides a pretty seamless experience for my employees when making changes to their address, benefits, viewing their paystub, W2 etc.
- The new look and feel of the user TimeKeeper interface were much needed. Our system integrates with RFID card readers, which our employees love!
- Originally we had several issues with our EDI feeds, and their team was willing to step in and help set up new feeds with as many vendors as possible. Although, this should have been working when originally set up when brought to the account managers attention (A. Lisecki - who is amazing) we got on the phone with all parties to find a resolution.
- The customer service team is lacking tremendously. If you need assistance on a report or guidance in general, good luck. I will brag again on A. Lisecki
- Because she really is the reason we keep Ascentis HR/Payroll. She has gone above and beyond anytime I needed help.
- The reporting system is very cumbersome and usually provides inaccurate information. You can run the same report twice and it will give you different results. Of course, some reports are beneficial, but for the most part, it's hard to find the common HR reports quickly, such as your turnover rate, demographics, new hires etc. The system does have some of these templates built in, but there is usually a trick to getting them to work correctly.
- All the workarounds! Because we have used the system for a few years now, we know our pain points and have had to find workarounds to minimize the impact. For instance, adjusting benefit dates to ensure they roll over to payroll properly, hire date changes for ESS. At the end of the year, HSA and 401k contributions are also tricky (approving for that year but not approving the new open enrollment selections too soon- based on payroll dates).
- Open enrollment is a nightmare on the backend. Sadly, I always run a report before I submit the new information as I've had open enrollment details not push to our EDI carriers properly. At the time, I was glad I had the report otherwise my employees would have had to do open enrollment all over again.
- As an employee, having access to my personnel file at any time is great. If there is an update to be made employees can make it themselves rather than fill out some update form, submit, and wait for it to get updated.
- There is a link between our payroll system and Ascentis HR which almost seamlessly connects the two. If an employee updates their direct deposit information our payroll software knows. As administrators, we have to approve any changes, but the employee initiates. So, when the direct deposit comes back as undelivered due to the wrong account, the only person there is to blame is the employee themselves who put in the wrong information.
- The payroll simulator is a great planning tool. It helps employees to get an idea of what the impact of different changes would have on their net check. Examples include: receiving a raise, changing your retirement election percentages, changing from a traditional 401k to a Roth, changing your exemptions, etc.
- There is a fair amount of learning and set-up when getting the system but once it's set up it's easy to run and maintain.
- For administrators, the Employee Manager application can be a little difficult to use at times. Trying to find where a field is, or what particular field is that needs updated (there are a couple different attachment areas with different purposes, but not initially clear what's what)
- For administrators, the report running functionality is pretty good but it can be a bit clunky, and the export doesn't always come across in a useable format. Sometimes it's is a clunky text file, others in excel CSV file that's hard to format. There are several 'wizard' steps to go through to run reports and lots of options as you walk through the steps. It means you can really customize your report, but it also means that it can take you many many tries and time to get the report you are wanting. The good thing is though you can save your wizard settings if you will be rerunning the report.
- For administrators, we have to access the management functions through a remote desktop. Sometimes that connection is slow or has issues. Also, it adds an added step when trying to upload documents to employee files, download report exports, or you just want to open a web browser to look something up while you are in there (there are very few pages you can navigate to). It would be nice if the application was web-based without opening a remote desktop.
- Ascentis HR allows you to attach anything to the EE's records, so you can be quite paperless.
- Benefits Open Enrollment went pretty smoothly! Much better than the manual way we'd been handling things.
- Setting up users (ex: managers, supervisors, etc) is pretty decent, but we are still learning how to work with all of that to have things work correctly.
- Ascentis HR needs to flow over to Ascentis Payroll with a little more fluidity. Most are OK, but it does need to work on certain issues better. Some could be an administrative error as we are all still "learning" things.
- I believe Ascentis HR should not have to "use" Ascentis Support as much for certain things: Alert setups (why can't we set these up ourselves without sending notices to Support to set up), any remote desktop set up or password reset has to go thru Ascentis Support - why can "administrators" on our "user" end set it up?
- There is no "flow over" of things like bonuses, car allowance, phone allowances, etc from HR to payroll. There should be. HR training needs to be handled a little smoother.
- There is still so much to learn on the HR side after more than a year of having it. And, that's not including the separate "modules" that companies can utilize. That's just the basic stuff.
- Somewhat of a "choppy" learning experience.
- Report tool can be enhanced/modified to work better!!! Whether a custom report or a canned report, sometimes the selection criteria that one has chosen DOES NOT work the way it should (this is very noticeable when reporting on certain benefits that one has selected, yet ALL benefits (STD, LTD, Med, etc) still come out on the report, and then one has to sort and remove them THEMSELVES from the reports. Also, on the HR reporting, you have to create a TXT report first, and then make it into an EXCEL (or whatever type of report you want), you can't just create the EXCEL report first. The REPORTING feature DEFINITELY needs some enhancements/modifications to work MUCH better in many ways!!!
With Ascentis I've been able to introduce my organization to a one-stop shop. Along with being able to manage all of the previously mentioned tasks in one system, I have the privilege of creating a newsletter sort of platform on our employee self-service portal that's much like a internal Intranet, but with so much color and pizazz. This feature has proven to be a HIT!! It has allowed for a decrease in emails from HR and paper posters and more transparency as I'm able to share with the staff the documents that are in their file.
They have the ability to start the process of making changes from their desk instead of coming to the HR Dept.; of course HR still approves the changes, because they upload the supporting documentation as well. The fact that Ascentis required so much hands-on from me, at first, was frustrating, but now I appreciate it all the more. I know my system, the data that's in it, and it was all customized by me. I can only hope that everyone at Ascentis is as great as the team members I've had the privilege of working with: Jeff Hansen, Tina Byrnes, and although he's with Novatime, David Chang is one of a kind!!!!
I like being able to create work flows for the HR department; know what's going on without micro-managing.
I like have the ability to put the responsibility in the hands of the EEs to initial changes: life events, demographics updates, etc.
I like being able to present my staff with a one stop shop for our handbook, FAQs, Forms, the newsletter, timekeeper, check stubs, etc.
- The Customer Service for Ascentis HR is amazing. They are always quick to respond to any questions that arise and are happy to help in whatever way they are able.
- The Ascentis HR system is incredibly easy to use, even for employees who are less tech-savvy or who aren't on a computer all day.
- The report writing function in Ascentis HR has some limitations as far as what pieces of data you can pull and they can take a while to run.
It allows other departments to pull this information at any time. The hiccup is sometimes after an Ascentis update, the employee's information may look correct, but once we start trying to pull reports the information will end up jumbled up. When we address with Ascentis, we don't sometimes get a direct answer on why it happened.
- Information at your finger tips
- Available to integrate into other programs
- Zooming in isn't an option, it's very difficult to use a large computer screen with HR Ascentis. The program will still be very small.
- Some reports aren't available for us to pull to do information audits and when we bring this up to support, we have to end up paying for the "extra features"
- The ability to customize the platform to clients. Not every company is the same and this really helps clients feel taken care of.
- Professional webinars. One of my clients had high praise for the webinars provided by Ascentis and described them as her favorite source of webinar instruction.
- Implementation seemed to take longer than actually needed. My first client with Ascentis was annoyed with the first welcome call that took an hour out of her busy schedule that ultimately had no real need for her to be on the call. She thought she could've been sent an email explaining what the process would be.
- Recruiting ATS works very well
- Onboarding is awesome
- HR database
- All three are easy to use.
- I would like to see the core HR function house address history.
- The performance management system runs slow almost all the time. Needs to be faster.
- Wish offer letters for onboarding had a little more room for customization.
- We received rave reviews from employees with our first benefits open enrollment. Using Ascentis all employees were able to complete the process themselves online, as opposed to in our old system the previous year only about 20% of employees were able to complete their enrollment without our assistance. Also new employees are able to complete enrollment on their own with minimal or no instruction.
- Benefit enrollments now flow directly to the carrier. This is a significant time savings as previously enrollments were done manually on each of our multiple benefit vendor sites.
- Our first ACA reporting using the new system was a success. The ability to do this reporting in Ascentis allowed us to eliminate a separate vendor thus saving money for the institution going forward.
- More targeted and flexible reporting allows us to obtain just the information we need at a given point in time.
- The file export to payroll is a much smoother and faster transfer process.
- We are still using remote desktop log in. Having to log in a minimum of three times before we get to employee data is time consuming and annoying.
- While the reporting feature allows access to all employee data, it takes some time to go through all the questions needed to create a report. It would be helpful to have some pre-set up reports using standard employee parameters.
- We would like to see more functionality to capture multiple jobs for an employee. We had to customize those fields, then those fields were not included in standard reports so we had to get customized reports created for us.
- More flexibility for us to run custom reports when we want to run them instead of having a schedule or putting in a request with support to run the reports for us.
- The Ascentis Recruitment ATS is really good. It is web based and it is easy to work with.
- The Employee Self Service is also a good feature that is offered by Ascentis. It is easy to access and very user-friendly.
- The onboarding feature is an excellent resource to have. It streamlines the onboarding process and it makes it easy for new hires to complete their paperwork ahead of time and it helps with keeping the completion of forms paperless.
- The biggest drawback for me is the HRIS side of the house. It is not web based making it very difficult to access it over the web at any time from any where. The whole HRIS side needs to be completely redone so better easy and functionality. Make it web based and a lot easier to use. I really did not fully understand how the HRIS side of the house worked before purchasing a three year agreement with Ascentis. If I had known that the HRIS side was desktop based, I probably would not have signed up with Ascentis.
- Reports in the HRIS could be greatly improved. It Is not easy to pull reports from the system. There are so many steps you have to complete in order to get the report needed.
- The benefits setup wizard through the Ascentis HRIS is very difficult and a tedious process. There are a gain lots of steps to take in order for a benefit to be placed properly.
- It has performed well in producing 1094s and 1095s
- The onboarding feature is good - not great - just good
- Needs to be cloud-based NOW
- Ascentis needs to develop their own products instead of cobbling different products together and telling people they developed them
- Lose the words "hard coded" from your vocabulary
Ascentis HR Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Ascentis HR
Ascentis HR Competitors
Ascentis HR Technical Details