Sales and Use Taxes (214)
Tax Exemption Processing (147)
Tax Data Reporting (180)
3rd-Party Software Integrations (158)
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Avalara, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Starting price (does not include set up fee)
- $21 per month
Avalara aims to help businesses get tax compliance right. Avalara customers can manage tax obligations from state, local, and other tax authorities around the world through the platform. Avalara states that the value proposition for users is that its tool provide efficient and more accurate solutions for managing those requirements.
The Avalara Tax Compliance Suite — Avalara AvaTax, Avalara Returns, and Avalara CertCapture — offers solutions for various transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and others. Through the suite, users can calculate taxes, file and remit returns, and comply with document management requirements. More than 700 integrations are available for accounting systems, ERP and CRM providers, ecommerce platforms, and more. The company also offers Professional Services including Tax Advisory Services, Implementation Services, Managed Services, and Support Plans and Training to help customers prepare for and achieve compliance.
- Supported: Sales and Use Taxes
- Supported: Cross-border Taxes
- Supported: VAT / GST Taxes
- Supported: Energy and Fuel Taxes
- Supported: Geolocation for Tax Assessment
- Supported: 3rd-Party Software Integrations
- Supported: Tax Data Reporting
- Supported: Compliance Administration Management
- Supported: Tax Exemption Processing
- Supported: Tax Document Management
- Supported: Complex Tax Scenario Management
- Supported: Centralized tax management: Unify sales and use tax calculation, document management, and returns preparation under a single platform.
- Supported: Integrations: AvaTax connects with more than 700 prebuilt integrations to connect with your accounting, ecommerce, POS, and other systems, plus an advanced API.
- Supported: Cloud-based: A software-as-a-service solution, AvaTax updates take effect as soon as they are deployed, helping to ensure you are using the most current information.
- Supported: Exemption management: Request certificates from vendors and store them electronically for easy access and to effectively track expiration dates. Send automatic renewal requests before certificates expire.
- Supported: Returns filing and remittance: Returns preparation and remittance in multiple jurisdictions. Avalara Returns can track and manage due dates and payment requirements, enabling you to pay all your returns with a single source of payment.
- Supported: Lodging: Manage lodging tax for your hotel or rental property with a solution that plugs into your reservation software to deliver lodging tax calculations in real time as well as prepares, files, and remits your lodge tax returns.
- Supported: Communications: Delivers tax calculations on a broad array of communications transactions by directly connecting to your current billing or ERP system, or to an in-house build via API.
- Supported: Beverage Alcohol: Simplifying regulatory compliance for suppliers, distributors, and retailers in the beverage alcohol industry.
- Microsoft Dynamics GP
- NetSuite ERP
- QuickBooks Online
- Sage 500 ERP
- Sage Intacct
- SAP Business One
- Shopify Plus
- Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central
- Yahoo! eCommerce
- part of Yahoo Small Business
- Magento Commerce Cloud (formerly Magento)
- Epicor Manufacturing Express Edition
- Pinnacle Cart
|Mobile Application||Mobile Web|
- Cuts down on time spent calculating and filing tax returns
- Cuts down on time spent collecting tax-exempt forms
- Time spent is significantly less
- Number of necessary accounting employees is less by using Avalara
- It has cut our consumer use compliance time in half.
- ATR is a great resource for us to find tax rates for our job sites. The ability to switch between address and coordinates has come in handy quite a few times.
- The ATR research has been amazing! Especially the tax answers functionality. When your construction company frequently takes hunting trips and you have to figure out the taxability of one of those trips, it is amazing the amount of work they were able to use to find us the answer!
- Good resource for tax calc by location
- availability of the rates, and general threshold for nexus
- Not happy with Standard Returns service
- Greatly reduced the amount of time for tax filing.
- Great reporting system and easy upload with the legacy feature.
- Huge positive impact on filing tax returns - saves our accounting department so much time.
- Implementation took longer than expected.
- Avalara offers frequent FREE webinars with tax experts which has helped our understanding of tax compliance so much.
- Helped us be compliant as we expand into more states.
- Allows us to review/verify tax calculations monthly & be confident they are correct.
- Had a better integration with Rootstock as opposed to Infor, which we now use as our ERP. Wish that the integration with Infor was the same.
- Avalara is more efficient than manual computation.
- We recently had an incident in FL where all sales orders over $500 did not calculate tax. This was Avalara's fault. Over 50 of our branches were affected for 2 days. This caused many people on our staff many hours of extra work. We had to have a staff come in over weekend to credit and rebill hundreds of sales orders
- The cost of Avalara and some promises by sales team was definitely way, way off from my experience. That was a big turn-off. Better to be honest up front. In hindsight, it felt a bit "car salesman-y" (not a good quality) I feel.
- Easy of access for staff is good.
- We don't use your tax return filing team. We looked into it, but your setup for more basic/simple companies and their tax return process. We are much bigger and complex.
- Filing Tax returns has been positive and it helped with assigning staff for more value-added work
- Tax calculation is good
- Address determination can improve
- Our operations associate can manage our tax info (lower cost employee)
- Salespeople don't need to think about adding tax, it calculates for them
- We are yet to be audited because our filings are correct
- The company has lost money using this product
- Made sales tax calculation on website automated
- Added frustration to my life
- Many hours of extra work due to errors
- saved time on sales tax filing
- It's for sure a huge time saver for our business
- Reduced time spent calculating rates
- Reduced time spent filing and remitting tax returns
- Business collapse due to catastrophic failures that were [in my opinion] due mainly to Avalara.
- Won't be spending the time or money trying to keep up with sales tax obligations
- Saved me a tremendous amount of time.
- Peace of mind in knowing all tax-related matters were taken care of.
- Reviewing time vs cost, Avalara direct pricing is a net positive on our bottom line.
- Currently, from a reporting standpoint, it has not helped us.
- It is currently capturing rates we were not certain if we were calculating correctly. This is a positive for us.
- We are finally able to utilize Avalara as it was meant to be utilized, but we do have some problems.
- Far less time spent preparing reports.
- Tax rates are kept updated, so we are spending hours on this task.
- increase [return on investment]