Reviews (1-4 of 4)
- Massively parallel processing system reduces the bottleneck while loading the data from the source
- Dynamic data masking helps us to secure the data
- Automated indexing and alerts help us to rectify issues before they reach the business
- Limited T-SQL query library
- It is not suitable for OLTP environment
- Doesn't support cross-database queries
- It is very cost-effective
- Development time needed was much less in comparison to other systems
- Played very nicely with our ETL and OLAP reporting tools
- More features would be a plus
- I would like to see Microsoft offer some diagramming tools for data warehouse
- I believe processing time and speed could always be improved
SQL Data Warehouse is always well suited in a Microsoft SQL environment. When you are using tools like SSIS, SSAS and SSRS, SQL Data Warehouse fits in nicely as the OLAP backend.
Some challenges faced for this product are in very large expansive environments where the transact databases might be coming from different sources like Oracle or Sybase.
- Quick to return data. Queries in a SQL data warehouse architecture tend to return data much more quickly than a OLTP setup. Especially with columnar indexes.
- Ability to manage extremely large SQL tables. Our databases contain billions of records. This would be unwieldy without a proper SQL datawarehouse
- Backup and replication. Because we're already using SQL, moving the data to a datawarehouse makes it easier to manage as our users are already familiar with SQL.
- It takes some time to setup a proper SQL Datawarehouse architecture. Without proper SSIS/automation scripts, this can be a very daunting task.
- It takes a lot of foresight when designing a Data Warehouse. If not properly designed, it can be very troublesome to use and/or modify later on.
- It takes a lot of effort to maintain. Businesses are continually changing. With that, a full time staff member or more will be required to maintain the SQL Data Warehouse.
Azure Synapse Analytics (Azure SQL Data Warehouse) Scorecard Summary
What is Azure Synapse Analytics (Azure SQL Data Warehouse)?
Azure Synapse Analytics (Azure SQL Data Warehouse) Technical Details