Backblaze headquartered in San Mateo, California offers continuous, automatic cloud backup for personal and business use.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/L6/6D/2IL3K8BGEMB3.pngBackblaze is an affordable and powerful cloud backup providerBackblaze is used to backup individual and mission-critical computers to the cloud. Backblaze is primarily used to backup file servers and accounting computers that contain Quickbooks. The main problem Backblaze addresses is off-site backups in the event of a catastrophic incident on site (fire, theft, etc.) that would affect local backups.,Backblaze utilizes a native app across platforms vs. a javascript app you find with other backup services (CrashPlan being one of them). Native apps function better and have a better user interface than comparable javascript apps. Backblaze has an intuitive interface that automatically backs everything up from your computer but allows you to easily exclude items you don't want or need to backup (applications, system files, etc.). Backblaze has a built-in bandwidth cap and monitor allowing you to limit how much data is backed up on a daily basis to prevent going over ISP data caps or utilizing all of your upload bandwidth.,The main downside of Backblaze is that it only keeps deleted items for 30 days. In other words, if you delete an item off of your computer, it will stay in your Backblaze archive for 30 days before it is removed from the archive. In general practice, this isn't an issue, but there are times being able to go back further in time can be very useful - a feature that CrashPlan has (keeps ALL backed up files indefinitely). While the user interface is easy to use, it is limited in comparison to other solutions. In particular, CrashPlan provides more control over how many resources the computer should use to back up - both while a user is present and while a user is away. Backblaze only allows for bandwidth throttling. Backblaze does not offer a seeded backup - wherein if you have a large number of files to backup, you can send Backblaze a hard drive with those files to initially seed the backup so not all files will have to be uploaded prior to being backed up. Backblaze cannot back up network shares - though this is by design. Network devices such as Synology NAS servers must utilize Backblaze's B2 service which can end up being very expensive.,9,Online backups provide greater peace of mind more than anything else. While local backups are adequate, an offsite backup is an absolute necessity for mission-critical files. It is difficult to put a price on this, but Backblaze's $50/year/computer is certainly a good one. From a purely monetary standpoint, having a rotating offsite back up using external hard drives would be cheaper in the long run - but far more cumbersome and potentially less effective if backups are not rotated on a regular basis. Because Backblaze does not allow for the backup of network shares, competitors that may be more expensive per computer may actually be less expensive in the long run. For example, CrashPlan, at $10/month/computer is $70 more expensive/year than Backblaze - but a central NAS server can be set to backup multiple computers, and the NAS server can have a network share attached to a dedicated desktop that can be backed up. In other words, CrashPlan can be utilized to backup multiple computers via a single computer - and thus can be significantly less expensive is certain scenarios.,Code42 (formerly CrashPlan),Code42 (formerly CrashPlan), Altaro Hyper-V Backup, Parallels DesktopBackblaze is a no-nosense cloud backup solutionI use BackBlaze as a worry-free cloud backup solution for my laptops. It is crucial that I have my media (photographs, video footage, edited videos, etc.) stored in multiple locations and BackBlaze has been the best choice for my cloud backups. I currently use it on 2 laptops and I could not be happier.,Cloud based backup Runs effortlessly in the background Requires zero input after initial setup,Notification when backup is complete It's a little too in the background Revamped interface is needed,10,Peace of mind Redundant backups Lowered costs for crash and data loss protection,Dropbox,Namecheap, Slack, TodoistBackblaze on fire!I am using Backblaze as a single user to back up my work computer. Backblaze works in the background and keeps a mirror copy of every file on my computer without any involvement from my end or any need to set up the backup process. When I do need to restore a file, I simply log in the online interface and restore a file. It's all very simple and secure.,Simple set up. Works in the background. Great interface for restoring files.,Can't think of anything.,10,N/A,LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Google DriveBackblaze for the winWe are using Backblaze to provide workstation backups of our design and production teams. We moved to a cloud based solution after losing an external drive on a workstation and losing all of the data on it. This allows us to have a daily backup of our workstations as well as any external drives connected to them, without having to worry about onsite storage for the information.,Daily backup of the system without any user intervention. Our users don't need to remember to do anything, the backups just happen. Ability to configure a backup time that works for the user. We chose to backup overnight to prevent a burden on our network. The app doesn't use much in terms of resources. Many other backup systems take up a large amount of system resources to index the drives. Our users didn't notice a difference in system performance after having Backblaze installed. Unlimited storage. We don't have to be concerned about storage capacity. Working with digital media, we have a large amount of data. Backblaze is able to handle it without any problems.,User management isn't the greatest. We had the choice of either a site license under one email address, or a domain license, allowing users to log in with their own email address, however there's no management for this option. I can see metrics of the users' backup, but I can't manage the accounts in any way.,9,The Backblaze service has provided a huge return on investment. We had a system fail, and it was very easy to have a drive with the backup data shipped to us for recovery. The service has been very cost effective, allowing us to keep costs down while maintaining a good system integrity.,CrashPlan and Amazon Glacier,CrashPlan, Skype for Business, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office 365The "Go-To" Backup Solution for Mac UsersBackblaze is mainly used for clients that have an all Mac or large Mac user base. It is an extremely reliable and fast backup solution that has little system overhead. I have used it myself on my Mac for about two years and never looked at any other product. With backups being an extremely important IT item at a company it is really nice to not have to worry if backups are running properly or not.,Easy user interface Ability to use a private key to encrypt your backups Ability to have your backup shipped to you on a removable media type,Multi-tenancy support for MSP providers on there website,9,From a compliance standpoint this has allowed us to not have to worry about backups failing or not occuring,CrashPlan
Backblaze

Backblaze Reviews

Backblaze
Filter 17 vetted Backblaze reviews and ratings

Aaron Pinsker profile photo
January 07, 2019

Review: "Backblaze is an affordable and powerful cloud backup provider"

• Backblaze utilizes a native app across platforms vs. a javascript app you find with other backup services (CrashPlan being one of them). Native apps function better and have a better user interface than comparable javascript apps.
  • Backblaze has an intuitive interface that automatically backs everything up from your computer but allows you to easily exclude items you don't want or need to backup (applications, system files, etc.).
  • Backblaze has a built-in bandwidth cap and monitor allowing you to limit how much data is backed up on a daily basis to prevent going over ISP data caps or utilizing all of your upload bandwidth.
  • The main downside of Backblaze is that it only keeps deleted items for 30 days. In other words, if you delete an item off of your computer, it will stay in your Backblaze archive for 30 days before it is removed from the archive. In general practice, this isn't an issue, but there are times being able to go back further in time can be very useful - a feature that CrashPlan has (keeps ALL backed up files indefinitely).
  • While the user interface is easy to use, it is limited in comparison to other solutions. In particular, CrashPlan provides more control over how many resources the computer should use to back up - both while a user is present and while a user is away. Backblaze only allows for bandwidth throttling.
  • Backblaze does not offer a seeded backup - wherein if you have a large number of files to backup, you can send Backblaze a hard drive with those files to initially seed the backup so not all files will have to be uploaded prior to being backed up.
  • Backblaze cannot back up network shares - though this is by design. Network devices such as Synology NAS servers must utilize Backblaze's B2 service which can end up being very expensive.
Backblaze's "set it and forget it' interface is ideal for home users. In addition, the $50/year pricing is very competitive. Most business should find Backblaze as a very good backup solution, but in cases where a backup archive needs to be kept indefinitely, alternative solutions should be looked at (specifically CrashPlan - though it is significantly more expensive at $10/month).
Read Aaron Pinsker's full review
Chris Tuley profile photo
February 28, 2018

Review: "Backblaze is a no-nosense cloud backup solution"

• Cloud based backup
  • Runs effortlessly in the background
  • Requires zero input after initial setup
  • Notification when backup is complete
  • It's a little too in the background
  • Revamped interface is needed
Backblaze's entry level plan is perfect for solo entrepreneurs and individuals who need a no-nonsense, cloud based backup, that is reliable and safe. Backblaze has expanded offerings for more families, computers, and larger businesses. I have no doubt it would be incredible for larger businesses, but I cannot personally attest to it.
Read Chris Tuley's full review
December 05, 2017

User Review: "Backblaze on fire!"

• Simple set up.
  • Works in the background.
  • Great interface for restoring files.
  • Can't think of anything.
Good for - Full, mirror backup for a single computer. No need for support. Not good for - quick access to files.
Stephen Yoder profile photo
March 14, 2017

User Review: "Backblaze for the win"

• Daily backup of the system without any user intervention. Our users don't need to remember to do anything, the backups just happen.
  • Ability to configure a backup time that works for the user. We chose to backup overnight to prevent a burden on our network.
  • The app doesn't use much in terms of resources. Many other backup systems take up a large amount of system resources to index the drives. Our users didn't notice a difference in system performance after having Backblaze installed.
  • Unlimited storage. We don't have to be concerned about storage capacity. Working with digital media, we have a large amount of data. Backblaze is able to handle it without any problems.
  • User management isn't the greatest. We had the choice of either a site license under one email address, or a domain license, allowing users to log in with their own email address, however there's no management for this option. I can see metrics of the users' backup, but I can't manage the accounts in any way.
Backblaze is great for pretty much any type of user. It's powerful enough to handle large amounts of files, but light enough to run on less powerful systems. Backblaze may become difficult to manage in a large organization with many users. The unlimited backup makes the service highly useful and flexible.
Read Stephen Yoder's full review
Alex Farnsworth profile photo
March 17, 2017

Backblaze Review: "The "Go-To" Backup Solution for Mac Users"

• Easy user interface
  • Ability to use a private key to encrypt your backups
  • Ability to have your backup shipped to you on a removable media type
  • Multi-tenancy support for MSP providers on there website
If you have a primarily or very large Mac user base. Backblaze exceeds all expectations with reliability and performance over using Time Machine to manage your backups.
Read Alex Farnsworth's full review
Eric L. Johnson profile photo
March 20, 2017

Backblaze: "You better backup this review!"

We use backblaze to backup individual workstations and laptops.
  • We have never had the program crash - not once.
  • Restores are very easy with backblaze.
  • I can see very little for ways of improvement with backblaze as we have never had a problem with it.
I can only repeat: It just works. It is rare for software to just work and work correctly and with little involvement.
Read Eric L. Johnson's full review
May 16, 2017

User Review: "Backblaze Mac vs. Windows comparison"

It's currently used as an automatic backup of machines at our company. Often times, a coworker's computer will break or they will download a virus or they need to be ported to a newer model for some reason. It allows users to port over their previous environments quickly and easily.
  • Restoring previous environments
  • Create backups
  • Stays in the background
  • Wouldn't allow Windows to enter sleep mode
  • Would wake up Windows from sleep mode
  • Drained excess Windows battery
It's good on Macs but bad on Windows. I ended up having to disable it because it was waking up my Windows computer in the middle of the night, draining all the battery, and I would come into work in the morning with a dead computer and all the documents that I was working on hadn't been saved. On a Mac I have had no problems like this at all.
March 20, 2017

Backblaze Review: "Good product at a good price"

At my previous organization, the entire team used Backblaze. It was a mandatory part of the onboarding process to have both Backblaze and a physical backup hard drive set up for one's computer. As a software company, the vast majority of the value was stored in our computers, and we trusted Backblaze as the most important safety net for protecting this value.
  • Speed
  • Ease of use
  • Reliability
  • I liked how I essentially forgot it was there until I needed it. However, I would like to see more (or more accessible) info about it.
  • Problems with handling external drives were somewhat confusing.
  • Occasional outages were understandable but not desirable.
If your entire workspace is located on your computer, then it's great. However, if you rely on external devices (drives, etc.), then it can get complicated, or even not work at all. Also, personally, I think it makes sense to treat an online backup solution as an *additional* help –– not as a replacement for backup on a physical drive.
Gary Gray profile photo
February 14, 2017

"Backblaze is a VITAL component in my backup strategy"

We use Backblaze company-wide on multiple Macs as redundant offsite backup, complementing our existing on-site backups. This way in the event something happens to our local backups, we're protected with the cloud backup as an additional safety net.
  • Set it and forget it backup. Never even need to think about it - when I'm on wifi it's backing up my data.
  • Includes the ability to backup attached hard drives at no additional cost.
  • Easy setup of backup configuration.
  • Affordable pricing.
  • Lacks the ability to backup your Mac user library folder. I understand why it doesn't do this, but it should be clarified what doesn't get backed up when this folder is skipped: namely Outlook and Mac Mail databases. This can be quite a shock (as it was for me) when I attempted a recovery and was surprised to learn this data wasn't backed up to Backblaze.
If you're on a laptop and on the road, Backblaze is a vital backup option - as it backs up to the cloud when you're away from your TimeMachine or other backup setup back at home/office. Also, since it's always active it backs up constantly - so this morning's work is backed up before I get to the office and plug my Mac in to my external backup drive for the local backup.

Also, if you're one of those, "I keep meaning to backup, I'll do it one of these days" and then never get around to doing it - just does this once and you're good to go,
Read Gary Gray's full review
William Levins profile photo
May 27, 2015

Review: "Backblaze has saved my files (and butt) numerous times"

Backblaze is our automatic remote back-up solution. It's installed on every computer in and out of the office: servers, laptops, and desktops too. It operates continuously and silently in the background most of the time. It's so good you forget about it until disaster strikes. A failed hard drive, an accidentally deleted file, or something worse - then you realize you've got a reliable, off-site back-up that you can quickly access and restore. We've used it to recover lost files and dead drives. I've personally used lots of backup solutions in the past. Tolis BRU, Dantz Retrospect, Apple's Time Machine, Carbonite are some of them. But I was always disappointed in some manner when a restore was needed - until Backblaze that is. So far, it has not let me down, and it's impressed me again and again and again.
  • Backblaze offers unlimited backups for a low-low cost per computer. Essentially, it's $5 for an all you can eat back-up buffet.
  • The interface is simple - both on the computer side when you're configuring it. But more importantly, the online interface to search through your stored data is simple and efficient. Once you find what you're missing you can restore via downloading a zipped archive, requesting a USB drive, or you can have large data loaded onto a hard drive.
  • It has never let me down - which in the world of remote back-up is amazing.
  • Occasionally, if you've made lots of changes to your files, Backblaze will kick into action and slow down your computer. Normally you don't notice this but sometimes it does become a resource hog. But... in the latest versions, you can simply pause the running backup or restrict backups to run only off-hours.
  • One feature I'd like to see added, the ability to pay for long term storage regardless if you connect your drive / device every 30 days. That's their cut-off time frame - if you've backed up a computer - but don't connect it to the internet once very 30 days - they actually delete all the data stored for that device. They give you plenty of warnings - but it'd be nice to have an option to pay for unlimited or longer retention.
  • I'd also like to see an easier way of "swapping" a device inside of their system. For instance, if you upgrade your computer, you can't convert your old computer into your new one and simply append data to what is already stored. You have to start from scratch and your old data is probably lost for good after 30 days unless you keep the computer around some how and connect it once per month.
I am like a walking Backblaze advertisement - everyone I talk to about computers gets an ear full of how great Backblaze is. I have no affiliation with the company other than an admiration for something that's done well and works so well too.
Read William Levins's full review