Backblaze Reviews

May 02, 2021
Justin Esgar | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is being used not only internally to back up our computers, but we supply it to our users to back up their computers. Using a tool like Backblaze eliminates the need for the users to remember to plug a drive into their computers, which they will eventually forget to do. Backblaze backs up over the internet, and continuously – meaning the users' data is always backed up.
  • Price is unbeatable
  • Runs constantly in the background.
  • 30 day retention, but can go longer.
  • Can send a hard drive if data needs to be recovered.
  • There should be better notification of issues.
  • Mass deployment, via MDM needs to be built better.
It's great for anyone, including enterprise. This will be great for backing up your own computer, as well as your entire companies computers. Web management makes it easy to manage computers, as well as restoring data remotely. You can even set what types of files are backed up, to ensure any non-critical files are not backed up.
Read Justin Esgar's full review
April 07, 2021
Matt Hoffman | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze offers some of the cheapest storage available. I have over 2 terabytes of backups (excessive, I know!) which only cost me $10 as of last month. Extremely cost effective and allows us to store very old backups for a very cheap price. Their personal backup services are even cheaper, and has (at time of review) unlimited backup capacity.
  • File management
  • Pricing
  • Customer Service
  • File organization sometimes is a little confusing
  • Lots of emails, but I assume that's due to the alerts I have set up
I would consider Backblaze as a second or a third tier backup solution. Not in terms of quality, but I'd recommend having at least one more backup saved somewhere else. And with the cost as low as theirs, Backblaze is the perfect solution. It also provides very friendly recovery options on both the personal and business side.
Read Matt Hoffman's full review
April 29, 2021
Samantha Crawford | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Backblaze to backup all my computer drives and external hard drives at all times. I love knowing all my files are safely stored online!
  • Automatic backup.
  • Reliability.
  • Speed.
  • Sometimes automatic backup doesn't work right away.
  • Restoring files doesn't put them back in a subfolder. It is just one big zip file.
  • Confirmation of backups.
Backblaze is great for drives that are always connected. If you have to unplug the external hard drive to use a USB, the drive name may change and stop backing up the external drive after plugging it back in. I bought a USB hub so I could keep my drives plugged in.
I have only contacted them once but they were very helpful!
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
April 28, 2021
We currently use it to back up 1 of our local productions (multiple large raw and edited video, audio, and photos) and are looking to use it for hot cloud backup across the org for all local productions once we integrate with a DAM later this summer.
  • Support
  • Custom scripts
  • Feature suggestions
  • FTP integrations for large files.
  • NAS sync integrations for large files.
  • Cold storage option with a lower cost.
  • Ability to sync multiple regions (of different tiers).
If you have small files infrequently backed up, it's a good tool. A lot of large files require an expensive appliance to lift the data to the cloud or too much time to upload. The ability to upload multiple large files using any integration with a GUI (like Cyberduck) exists but fails.
April 20, 2021
I am a solopreneur using Backblaze as my offsite backup.
  • Invisible operation.
  • Reliable and simple file recovery.
  • Helpful configuration options.
  • Excellent security options.
  • The online interface for Backblaze used to be a bit clunky, but it's smoother now. Can't come up with any missing or deficient feature for my needs.
Perfectly suited for backing up an individual computer.

I do not know how well suited Backblaze is for group backup but I know that's a feature.
April 16, 2021
We use Backblaze for clients who need file-level backup (Windows or MAC agent) and also to backup some on-site NAS appliances that we have deployed with our clients with the B2 Cloud. Backblaze allows us to have one central console to manage all our client's data and we can easily see alerts if something is not backing up properly.
  • File-level backups
  • Cloud storage
  • Easy interface
  • Easy billing
  • Sometimes restore is slow
[Backblaze] is great for off-site managed backups that are file level. Where it doesn't work is if you want a full image backup or backing up servers gets in the "not-ideal" direction.

Backblaze has a great use case and as long as you stick in the file-level backup, all is great!
April 11, 2021
After a near catastrophe with lost data, we decided to go with Backblaze for our entire company. It gives us peace of mind that our data is always backed up and ready if we need it.
  • Backblaze makes backing up your data affordable.
  • Backblaze is safe and secure.
  • Backblaze is simple to use.
  • The only thing that I can think of would be to make it faster to restore data.
If you work with sensitive data like my company does, Backblaze is perfect. You can backup multiple systems to the same account so the data is all stored in the same place.
February 19, 2020
Ellwood Howard | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is my primary backup and recovery. As the owner and sole preparer of a tax business, I need a reliable backup system. Backblaze automatically performs a nightly backup that is encrypted and stored off-site. I needed it this year, and I was able to recover my client data securely. It filled that gap and worked.
  • First, it backs up data period. They do what they say.
  • Second, the backup is automatic, which is convenient, and it's secure. Critical when you deal with other people's finances. The backups are also off-site, protecting it from fire and other disasters.
  • Backblaze, once installed, resides in the app tray on the lower right of windows. It's just a small menu that takes you to your website to perform recovery operations. You also have to install their little download and unzipping app after you select files to restore. I would like to see a single backup and restore interface that runs locally and handles all those details in the background.
  • If you have to reinstall your computer, they additionally setup and charge you for a new license, even though you have an account, you can't simply log in and reconnect to it. I didn't find this out until I saw the charge on my credit card. Now that I have the data I need downloaded, I have to call them and have the original license canceled for a pro-rated (partial) credit. I was told this is how system administrators preferred to minimize downtime. As a small business owner, I found it irritating.
Essentially Backblaze is a secure off-site data backup and restoration software. It does that job, and it does that job well. That's the scenario it was designed to be used in, and it does it exceptionally well. I find that it is likely best suited for medium to large businesses that have several users for a networked computer system with multiple computers on a server. If you are a small business like myself where it's me myself and I, it's a little cumbersome to recover data and is perhaps less appropriate. What greatly attracted me to it was its price, which, for me, was $99 for an entire year. With that, I can put up with a little bit of cumbersome.
They answered any questions I had accurately and politely. I prefer to call a phone number and get a human on the phone, but they prefer email and chat. I understand they have business profits to consider, so it makes sense.
Read Ellwood Howard's full review
April 30, 2020
Ed Esposito | TrustRadius Reviewer
It is being used to backup photo studio picture files.
  • Low price.
  • Their software has many issues including getting stuck uploading even tiny files.
  • They seriously need to work on their customer service.
I tried the service twice and nothing improved.

Their customer service is a total waste of time. They lie about throttling speed even though my computer upload speed is over 900 mbps and their service never went above 2 mbps.
They are the worst of many online backup companies.
Read Ed Esposito's full review
December 13, 2019
Tyler Despain | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is being used as a cloud backup location to integrate with our Cloudberry and Synology backup products. It's helped us provide more efficient backups at a substantially reduced cost compared to other providers. It's one of our core sales products and is used across the company in sales.
  • Simple and vast storage options.
  • The ability to create essentially unlimited buckets to separate backup locations between clients.
  • Some of the ways pricing is determined can be confusing.
  • No ability to use 2FA with a physical key, such as Yubikey.
Backblaze B2 is perfectly suited for backups for smaller clients. It's a great product and very cost-effective when paired with another endpoint solution, but with it comes more management and more risk. The burden of testing and support is on the user and not on the cloud provider, unlike a more expensive cloud backup location.
I've never had cause to use customer support, but I suppose that means they have good customer support. The product works as advertised and I've yet to have a reason to contact them for anything.
Read Tyler Despain's full review
November 11, 2019
I use Backblaze on my personal computer. It gives me an unlimited secure offsite backup of all my data, including connected storage devices. The price of $5/month is fantastic for the value and peace of mind I get out of it. If my computer were stolen or damaged, I would be able to request that Backblaze send me a hard drive in the mail with all my data on it.
  • Automatically running in the background without using too many resources.
  • Including external storage devices in the backups.
  • Price.
  • Notification if something seems abnormal about my backups.
  • The file UI in the browser is a bit slow and clunky.
  • I wish I could back up my NAS device, but I understand why this would not be cost-effective for Backblaze to offer.
  • It would be great if I could sync specific folders to another device, similar to Dropbox.
For "set it and forget it" cloud/offsite backup, it's very nice. I run a home server with an attached RAID array for all my files, and it is backed up automatically to Backblaze. This gives me peace-of-mind and after the initial upload was done, I don't even notice it. For consumer NAS devices, they offer plugins to back up to their object storage solution (B2), which is more expensive than the personal device plan but necessary for those devices.
I've never had to reach out to customer support, but their periodic emails letting me know if a device is missing are very nice for informing me when something is wrong. Based on how helpful their system is, I would imagine their customer support is top-notch.
October 17, 2019
Chris Gabriel | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Backblaze to mirror the important data on my work laptop. As I am the whole organization and my laptop is my primary tool used in providing service to my clients, this is key to the survival of my business.. The service Backblaze provides is important to my peace of mind, knowing there is a fallback to my fallback!
  • Regular backups
  • Status updates
  • Peace of mind
  • User interface
I'm not familiar with deploying the application to a large user base but for a single computer, signup and setup is supremely easy. The price point makes Backblaze an easy choice for the additional comfort. Love to know I can have a fresh drive sent to me if I've ever had a local failure.
While I haven't encountered any issues that required the intervention of customer support, their automatic emails are informative and unobtrusive. Couldn't ask for anything more!
Read Chris Gabriel's full review
October 15, 2019
Chris Tuley | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use BackBlaze as a worry-free cloud backup solution for my laptops. It is crucial that I have my media (photographs, video footage, edited videos, etc.) stored in multiple locations and BackBlaze has been the best choice for my cloud backups. I currently use it on 2 laptops and I could not be happier.
  • Cloud based backup
  • Runs effortlessly in the background
  • Requires zero input after initial setup
  • Notification when backup is complete
  • It's a little too in the background
  • Revamped interface is needed
Backblaze's entry level plan is perfect for solo entrepreneurs and individuals who need a no-nonsense, cloud based backup, that is reliable and safe. Backblaze has expanded offerings for more families, computers, and larger businesses. I have no doubt it would be incredible for larger businesses, but I cannot personally attest to it.
Read Chris Tuley's full review
October 02, 2019
Calin Popescu | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is currently being used to backup desktop information. Due to its limited capabilities it is only backing up data not the entire system thus only the recovery of data will be possible in case something happens, however, this system does not require system, software or any other information recovered.
  • Nightly backups of data.
  • Storage of large amounts of data.
  • Simple to use.
  • Revision not clear - although it does support previous versions.
  • Not able to back up the entire system.
  • Recovery not simple and very but works.
Backblaze is perfectly suited for small businesses primarily concerned with maintaining files. The overall system seems to work well and the fact files can be retrieved prior to an issue is a really great tool. At this time Backblaze has not been tested thoroughly (a ransomware attack for example - this is where versioning would be great to be made more clear), the overall backup system seems to be good. Deleted files were found as historical records are kept from the beginning of time which can be very good for organizations looking to backup files primarily.
At this time I've only had to use email support for Backblaze and it's been responsive. I cannot say whether or not their support will offer the necessary access in case of an emergency as that has not yet been tested, but will be part of future tests.
Read Calin Popescu's full review
September 20, 2019
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
I've used Backblaze as my primary backup for years. I have terabytes of files that are important to my business - if I lost them I'd be destroyed as a business. Backblaze allows me to back up an unlimited amount of data for a price that's only changed once in the last decade, and the ability to download files you lost is very easy and painless. They've saved me from hard drive failures multiple times. I travel often and knowing I've got a backup solution that follows me across the country is worth every penny.
  • Quick backups.
  • Easy download of files from your backups.
  • Minimal data usage during uploads.
  • Everything happens automatically.
  • Switching from PC to Mac or vise-versa means starting over.
  • I'd love the ability to share files, but I understand that's not their primary function.
  • If you don't connect a backed-up drive at least once every 30 days, you lose the data. I wish this window was a bit longer.
I've had another service I used as a backup (I won't name names, but it rhymes with FlopFox) lose files that for some reason weren't recoverable. In one case, it was every photo from the last decade. Multiple times, Backblaze had the files, and I had them back within an hour. Their customer service is fast at responding, and I've never lost data with them.
Every time I've had to contact Backblaze support, they've gotten back to me in under 24 hours, and in most cases the same day. They offer step-by-step solutions to any question I've had, including how to move from one computer to another without having to reupload everything (pro tip: it's not possible when you move from Windows to macOS). Overall, excellent.
Read Rob Gokee's full review
October 17, 2019
Samantha Crawford | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze backs up all my hard drives, externals as well! It securely and with unlimited storage, backs up all 6 of my drives continuously, it has been amazing! You cannot beat the price for the unlimited storage.
  • Automatic Backup
  • Pricing
  • Affordability
  • N/A
Well suited for anyone who needs multiple drives backed up.
Excellent customer service
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
June 13, 2019
Roger Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Backblaze to back up our primary workstation. It is used to store important files we don't want to lose. Backblaze is a great solution that allows me to back up my entire workstation (including external hard drives) without having to worry about running out of cloud storage space. It also automates everything so I don't have to constantly worry about backing up manually.
  • Continuous backups automatically backup my data so I don't have to worry about losing it.
  • Truly unlimited storage allows me to not have to micromanage my data to fit on the cloud.
  • Extreme performance: backups are completed very quickly.
  • Very light system impact compared to other solutions.
  • In some ways, I wish I could specify which folders to backup using a standard folder tree structure.
Works best when most of the important data is stored on one computer. Doesn't work well if there isn't a central location for all data.
Read Roger Brown's full review
August 14, 2019
Daniel Cauley | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze and Backblaze B2 are the cheapest backup solution for any MSP looking to do backups on endpoints that contain no medical or other sensitive data that require server-side encryption. It is so extremely cheap that most of your clients won't even believe the prices you can charge per TB even if you put a 1000% markup.
  • The largest opportunity for a profit margin for MSP since it's so cheap
  • Lots of software partners
  • Not enough hardware NAS partners
  • Poor website interface
  • Better white-label billing would be nice
It is suited best when you have lots of endpoints that don't contain sensitive client data or financial data that need server-side encryption and encryption during the transport of the data. The software is not HIPAA compliant. It really shines when the client has many hundreds of gigabytes of data to backup.
Every time I have reached out for tech support from Backblaze it has been slim to none response on getting help. They also take a while to reach back out over email. That is one thing that could really improve for BackBlaze. But for the price, can you really expect them to have a ton of support options?
Read Daniel Cauley's full review
October 05, 2019
Backblaze is being used to backup user's data to Backblaze's cloud. This off-site backup strategy lets me be assured that my data will be secure should tragedy ever strike (flood, fire, etc.). Backblaze does this backup unobtrusively, users hardly notice the applications is ever backing up their data in the background because it does so intelligently - waiting for periods of inactivity before performing the backup. I love that aspect of it - a set it and forget it backup.
  • Unobtrusive Backup - Users don't observe any negative impact from Backblaze backing up in the background.
  • Simple file recovery - Right from the tray icon, I can initiate a recovery of a given file, and the contents of my drive are present on their site, waiting for recovery.
  • Automatic background update - Backblaze updates itself in the background whenever an update is required, eliminating user intervention.
  • Backblaze's file versioning could be easier to use. I find it difficult to remember how to recover a previous version of a file.
  • Backblaze could integrate with operating system notifications better. While I get email notifications of the status of my backup, I don't get anything to my notification center.
  • Backblaze could also offer remote wipe functionality for if I lose my device.
Backblaze does one thing and does one thing well: backup. If you recognize it for what it is, you will be very happy with it as an unobtrusive off-site backup solution. If, however, you want full-featured endpoint protection, you'll want to look elsewhere. For me and my needs, Backblaze provides the right amount of protection at a cheap price. You can't beat it.
Backblaze gets a 10 at support because it. just. works. I hardly had to mess with it when I installed it for it to backup the right files. I didn't have to be choosy about which files get backed up, because it's unlimited. File restores are easy and can be done right from the web interface, so I have never had any issues there either. As I said before, it really is a set-it-and-forget-it backup solution.
June 23, 2019
I use Backblaze for backing up important files in my home office. It serves a couple of purposes:
  1. I am trying to go more paperless, primarily as a way to increase my flexibility. But with that comes increased risk that there is a computer issue and then you lose important documents. Yes, there is always a risk with paper that there would be a fire or something, but with modern construction techniques, fires are relatively rare. It is more common, unfortunately, for computers to one day just stop working altogether (including, potentially, a hard drive).
  2. With the passage of time, more and more critical documents are received in a digital native format rather than paper. So each year, the number of important documents that I have digitally seems to be increasing.
  • Regular updates: I like that it sends me e-mails confirming everything has been backed up.
  • Simple: it just seems to work in the background really well.
  • Comprehensive: I have been converted to the Backblaze approach of just backing up the entire hard drive.
  • File sharing: I know they have a Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage option where users can upload some files to the cloud, but it is not as user-friendly as some other options (which is fine -- you don't need to compete with every product).
Backblaze is well suited to individuals who have a relatively large volume/size of critical files, so that they exceed the file size limits of the "free" or "freemium" backup solutions (such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive and MEGASync).
I think it is also well suited to individuals who are relatively "forgetful" and would not drag and drop (or save) their files to the applicable back-up folder. For a long time, I was skeptical about the structure of backing up my whole hard drive -- there are lots of system files or program files that I don't actually need backed-up. But now I have a little bit of a piece of mind that, even if there is important data saved deep in the crevices of Windows, that it has been backed-up should I ever need to recover it.
January 07, 2019
Aaron Pinsker | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is used to backup individual and mission-critical computers to the cloud. Backblaze is primarily used to backup file servers and accounting computers that contain Quickbooks. The main problem Backblaze addresses is off-site backups in the event of a catastrophic incident on site (fire, theft, etc.) that would affect local backups.
  • Backblaze utilizes a native app across platforms vs. a javascript app you find with other backup services (CrashPlan being one of them). Native apps function better and have a better user interface than comparable javascript apps.
  • Backblaze has an intuitive interface that automatically backs everything up from your computer but allows you to easily exclude items you don't want or need to backup (applications, system files, etc.).
  • Backblaze has a built-in bandwidth cap and monitor allowing you to limit how much data is backed up on a daily basis to prevent going over ISP data caps or utilizing all of your upload bandwidth.
  • The main downside of Backblaze is that it only keeps deleted items for 30 days. In other words, if you delete an item off of your computer, it will stay in your Backblaze archive for 30 days before it is removed from the archive. In general practice, this isn't an issue, but there are times being able to go back further in time can be very useful - a feature that CrashPlan has (keeps ALL backed up files indefinitely).
  • While the user interface is easy to use, it is limited in comparison to other solutions. In particular, CrashPlan provides more control over how many resources the computer should use to back up - both while a user is present and while a user is away. Backblaze only allows for bandwidth throttling.
  • Backblaze does not offer a seeded backup - wherein if you have a large number of files to backup, you can send Backblaze a hard drive with those files to initially seed the backup so not all files will have to be uploaded prior to being backed up.
  • Backblaze cannot back up network shares - though this is by design. Network devices such as Synology NAS servers must utilize Backblaze's B2 service which can end up being very expensive.
Backblaze's "set it and forget it' interface is ideal for home users. In addition, the $50/year pricing is very competitive. Most business should find Backblaze as a very good backup solution, but in cases where a backup archive needs to be kept indefinitely, alternative solutions should be looked at (specifically CrashPlan - though it is significantly more expensive at $10/month).
Read Aaron Pinsker's full review
March 14, 2017
Stephen Yoder | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Backblaze to provide workstation backups of our design and production teams. We moved to a cloud based solution after losing an external drive on a workstation and losing all of the data on it. This allows us to have a daily backup of our workstations as well as any external drives connected to them, without having to worry about onsite storage for the information.
  • Daily backup of the system without any user intervention. Our users don't need to remember to do anything, the backups just happen.
  • Ability to configure a backup time that works for the user. We chose to backup overnight to prevent a burden on our network.
  • The app doesn't use much in terms of resources. Many other backup systems take up a large amount of system resources to index the drives. Our users didn't notice a difference in system performance after having Backblaze installed.
  • Unlimited storage. We don't have to be concerned about storage capacity. Working with digital media, we have a large amount of data. Backblaze is able to handle it without any problems.
  • User management isn't the greatest. We had the choice of either a site license under one email address, or a domain license, allowing users to log in with their own email address, however there's no management for this option. I can see metrics of the users' backup, but I can't manage the accounts in any way.
Backblaze is great for pretty much any type of user. It's powerful enough to handle large amounts of files, but light enough to run on less powerful systems. Backblaze may become difficult to manage in a large organization with many users. The unlimited backup makes the service highly useful and flexible.
Read Stephen Yoder's full review
March 17, 2017
Alex Farnsworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
Backblaze is mainly used for clients that have an all Mac or large Mac user base. It is an extremely reliable and fast backup solution that has little system overhead. I have used it myself on my Mac for about two years and never looked at any other product. With backups being an extremely important IT item at a company it is really nice to not have to worry if backups are running properly or not.
  • Easy user interface
  • Ability to use a private key to encrypt your backups
  • Ability to have your backup shipped to you on a removable media type
  • Multi-tenancy support for MSP providers on there website
If you have a primarily or very large Mac user base. Backblaze exceeds all expectations with reliability and performance over using Time Machine to manage your backups.
Read Alex Farnsworth's full review
February 14, 2017
Gary Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Backblaze company-wide on multiple Macs as redundant offsite backup, complementing our existing on-site backups. This way in the event something happens to our local backups, we're protected with the cloud backup as an additional safety net.
  • Set it and forget it backup. Never even need to think about it - when I'm on wifi it's backing up my data.
  • Includes the ability to backup attached hard drives at no additional cost.
  • Easy setup of backup configuration.
  • Affordable pricing.
  • Lacks the ability to backup your Mac user library folder. I understand why it doesn't do this, but it should be clarified what doesn't get backed up when this folder is skipped: namely Outlook and Mac Mail databases. This can be quite a shock (as it was for me) when I attempted a recovery and was surprised to learn this data wasn't backed up to Backblaze.
If you're on a laptop and on the road, Backblaze is a vital backup option - as it backs up to the cloud when you're away from your TimeMachine or other backup setup back at home/office. Also, since it's always active it backs up constantly - so this morning's work is backed up before I get to the office and plug my Mac in to my external backup drive for the local backup.

Also, if you're one of those, "I keep meaning to backup, I'll do it one of these days" and then never get around to doing it - just does this once and you're good to go,
Read Gary Gray's full review
March 20, 2017
Eric L. Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use backblaze to backup individual workstations and laptops.
  • We have never had the program crash - not once.
  • Restores are very easy with backblaze.
  • I can see very little for ways of improvement with backblaze as we have never had a problem with it.
I can only repeat: It just works. It is rare for software to just work and work correctly and with little involvement.
Read Eric L. Johnson's full review

What is Backblaze?

Backblaze headquartered in San Mateo, California offers continuous, automatic cloud backup for personal and business use.