Backblaze Reviews

Ellwood Howard | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 19, 2020

It backs up and restores securely as marketed

Backblaze is my primary backup and recovery. As the owner and sole preparer of a tax business, I need a reliable backup system. Backblaze automatically performs a nightly backup that is encrypted and stored off-site. I needed it this year, and I was able to recover my client data securely. It filled that gap and worked.
  • First, it backs up data period. They do what they say.
  • Second, the backup is automatic, which is convenient, and it's secure. Critical when you deal with other people's finances. The backups are also off-site, protecting it from fire and other disasters.
  • Backblaze, once installed, resides in the app tray on the lower right of windows. It's just a small menu that takes you to your website to perform recovery operations. You also have to install their little download and unzipping app after you select files to restore. I would like to see a single backup and restore interface that runs locally and handles all those details in the background.
  • If you have to reinstall your computer, they additionally setup and charge you for a new license, even though you have an account, you can't simply log in and reconnect to it. I didn't find this out until I saw the charge on my credit card. Now that I have the data I need downloaded, I have to call them and have the original license canceled for a pro-rated (partial) credit. I was told this is how system administrators preferred to minimize downtime. As a small business owner, I found it irritating.
Essentially Backblaze is a secure off-site data backup and restoration software. It does that job, and it does that job well. That's the scenario it was designed to be used in, and it does it exceptionally well. I find that it is likely best suited for medium to large businesses that have several users for a networked computer system with multiple computers on a server. If you are a small business like myself where it's me myself and I, it's a little cumbersome to recover data and is perhaps less appropriate. What greatly attracted me to it was its price, which, for me, was $99 for an entire year. With that, I can put up with a little bit of cumbersome.
Read Ellwood Howard's full review
Ed Esposito | TrustRadius Reviewer
April 30, 2020

Stay away from Backblaze at all costs.

It is being used to backup photo studio picture files.
  • Low price.
  • Their software has many issues including getting stuck uploading even tiny files.
  • They seriously need to work on their customer service.
I tried the service twice and nothing improved.

Their customer service is a total waste of time. They lie about throttling speed even though my computer upload speed is over 900 mbps and their service never went above 2 mbps.
Read Ed Esposito's full review
Tyler Despain | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 13, 2019

Backblaze is great!

Backblaze is being used as a cloud backup location to integrate with our Cloudberry and Synology backup products. It's helped us provide more efficient backups at a substantially reduced cost compared to other providers. It's one of our core sales products and is used across the company in sales.
  • Simple and vast storage options.
  • The ability to create essentially unlimited buckets to separate backup locations between clients.
  • Some of the ways pricing is determined can be confusing.
  • No ability to use 2FA with a physical key, such as Yubikey.
Backblaze B2 is perfectly suited for backups for smaller clients. It's a great product and very cost-effective when paired with another endpoint solution, but with it comes more management and more risk. The burden of testing and support is on the user and not on the cloud provider, unlike a more expensive cloud backup location.
Read Tyler Despain's full review
Chris Gabriel | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

Backblaze is the key to my peace of mind

I use Backblaze to mirror the important data on my work laptop. As I am the whole organization and my laptop is my primary tool used in providing service to my clients, this is key to the survival of my business.. The service Backblaze provides is important to my peace of mind, knowing there is a fallback to my fallback!
  • Regular backups
  • Status updates
  • Peace of mind
  • User interface
I'm not familiar with deploying the application to a large user base but for a single computer, signup and setup is supremely easy. The price point makes Backblaze an easy choice for the additional comfort. Love to know I can have a fresh drive sent to me if I've ever had a local failure.
Read Chris Gabriel's full review
Chris Tuley | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 15, 2019

Backblaze is a no-nosense cloud backup solution

I use BackBlaze as a worry-free cloud backup solution for my laptops. It is crucial that I have my media (photographs, video footage, edited videos, etc.) stored in multiple locations and BackBlaze has been the best choice for my cloud backups. I currently use it on 2 laptops and I could not be happier.
  • Cloud based backup
  • Runs effortlessly in the background
  • Requires zero input after initial setup
  • Notification when backup is complete
  • It's a little too in the background
  • Revamped interface is needed
Backblaze's entry level plan is perfect for solo entrepreneurs and individuals who need a no-nonsense, cloud based backup, that is reliable and safe. Backblaze has expanded offerings for more families, computers, and larger businesses. I have no doubt it would be incredible for larger businesses, but I cannot personally attest to it.
Read Chris Tuley's full review
Calin Popescu | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 02, 2019

Decent value for backup

Backblaze is currently being used to backup desktop information. Due to its limited capabilities it is only backing up data not the entire system thus only the recovery of data will be possible in case something happens, however, this system does not require system, software or any other information recovered.
  • Nightly backups of data.
  • Storage of large amounts of data.
  • Simple to use.
  • Revision not clear - although it does support previous versions.
  • Not able to back up the entire system.
  • Recovery not simple and very but works.
Backblaze is perfectly suited for small businesses primarily concerned with maintaining files. The overall system seems to work well and the fact files can be retrieved prior to an issue is a really great tool. At this time Backblaze has not been tested thoroughly (a ransomware attack for example - this is where versioning would be great to be made more clear), the overall backup system seems to be good. Deleted files were found as historical records are kept from the beginning of time which can be very good for organizations looking to backup files primarily.
Read Calin Popescu's full review
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 20, 2019

Backblaze is Blazing Fast at Saving Your Digital Life

I've used Backblaze as my primary backup for years. I have terabytes of files that are important to my business - if I lost them I'd be destroyed as a business. Backblaze allows me to back up an unlimited amount of data for a price that's only changed once in the last decade, and the ability to download files you lost is very easy and painless. They've saved me from hard drive failures multiple times. I travel often and knowing I've got a backup solution that follows me across the country is worth every penny.
  • Quick backups.
  • Easy download of files from your backups.
  • Minimal data usage during uploads.
  • Everything happens automatically.
  • Switching from PC to Mac or vise-versa means starting over.
  • I'd love the ability to share files, but I understand that's not their primary function.
  • If you don't connect a backed-up drive at least once every 30 days, you lose the data. I wish this window was a bit longer.
I've had another service I used as a backup (I won't name names, but it rhymes with FlopFox) lose files that for some reason weren't recoverable. In one case, it was every photo from the last decade. Multiple times, Backblaze had the files, and I had them back within an hour. Their customer service is fast at responding, and I've never lost data with them.
Read Rob Gokee's full review
Samantha Crawford | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 30, 2019

Backblaze is a great option for all your drives!

I use Backblaze to backup all my computer drives and external hard drives at all times. I love knowing all my files are safely stored online!
  • Automatic backup.
  • Reliability.
  • Speed.
  • Sometimes automatic backup doesn't work right away.
  • Restoring files doesn't put them back in a subfolder. It is just one big zip file.
  • Confirmation of backups.
Backblaze is great for drives that are always connected. If you have to unplug the external hard drive to use a USB, the drive name may change and stop backing up the external drive after plugging it back in. I bought a USB hub so I could keep my drives plugged in.
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
Samantha Crawford | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 17, 2019

Backblaze is great for auto backup of all my drives!

Backblaze backs up all my hard drives, externals as well! It securely and with unlimited storage, backs up all 6 of my drives continuously, it has been amazing! You cannot beat the price for the unlimited storage.
  • Automatic Backup
  • Pricing
  • Affordability
  • N/A
Well suited for anyone who needs multiple drives backed up.
Read Samantha Crawford's full review
Roger Brown | TrustRadius Reviewer
June 13, 2019

Unlimited storage at an affordable price all without bogging down your system

We use Backblaze to back up our primary workstation. It is used to store important files we don't want to lose. Backblaze is a great solution that allows me to back up my entire workstation (including external hard drives) without having to worry about running out of cloud storage space. It also automates everything so I don't have to constantly worry about backing up manually.
  • Continuous backups automatically backup my data so I don't have to worry about losing it.
  • Truly unlimited storage allows me to not have to micromanage my data to fit on the cloud.
  • Extreme performance: backups are completed very quickly.
  • Very light system impact compared to other solutions.
  • In some ways, I wish I could specify which folders to backup using a standard folder tree structure.
Works best when most of the important data is stored on one computer. Doesn't work well if there isn't a central location for all data.
Read Roger Brown's full review
Daniel Cauley | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 14, 2019

Highest Margin Ever!

Backblaze and Backblaze B2 are the cheapest backup solution for any MSP looking to do backups on endpoints that contain no medical or other sensitive data that require server-side encryption. It is so extremely cheap that most of your clients won't even believe the prices you can charge per TB even if you put a 1000% markup.
  • The largest opportunity for a profit margin for MSP since it's so cheap
  • Lots of software partners
  • Not enough hardware NAS partners
  • Poor website interface
  • Better white-label billing would be nice
It is suited best when you have lots of endpoints that don't contain sensitive client data or financial data that need server-side encryption and encryption during the transport of the data. The software is not HIPAA compliant. It really shines when the client has many hundreds of gigabytes of data to backup.
Read Daniel Cauley's full review
October 05, 2019

Backblaze - A Cheap "Set it and Forget it" Backup that Works

Backblaze is being used to backup user's data to Backblaze's cloud. This off-site backup strategy lets me be assured that my data will be secure should tragedy ever strike (flood, fire, etc.). Backblaze does this backup unobtrusively, users hardly notice the applications is ever backing up their data in the background because it does so intelligently - waiting for periods of inactivity before performing the backup. I love that aspect of it - a set it and forget it backup.
  • Unobtrusive Backup - Users don't observe any negative impact from Backblaze backing up in the background.
  • Simple file recovery - Right from the tray icon, I can initiate a recovery of a given file, and the contents of my drive are present on their site, waiting for recovery.
  • Automatic background update - Backblaze updates itself in the background whenever an update is required, eliminating user intervention.
  • Backblaze's file versioning could be easier to use. I find it difficult to remember how to recover a previous version of a file.
  • Backblaze could integrate with operating system notifications better. While I get email notifications of the status of my backup, I don't get anything to my notification center.
  • Backblaze could also offer remote wipe functionality for if I lose my device.
Backblaze does one thing and does one thing well: backup. If you recognize it for what it is, you will be very happy with it as an unobtrusive off-site backup solution. If, however, you want full-featured endpoint protection, you'll want to look elsewhere. For me and my needs, Backblaze provides the right amount of protection at a cheap price. You can't beat it.
November 11, 2019

Set it and forget it

I use Backblaze on my personal computer. It gives me an unlimited secure offsite backup of all my data, including connected storage devices. The price of $5/month is fantastic for the value and peace of mind I get out of it. If my computer were stolen or damaged, I would be able to request that Backblaze send me a hard drive in the mail with all my data on it.
  • Automatically running in the background without using too many resources.
  • Including external storage devices in the backups.
  • Price.
  • Notification if something seems abnormal about my backups.
  • The file UI in the browser is a bit slow and clunky.
  • I wish I could back up my NAS device, but I understand why this would not be cost-effective for Backblaze to offer.
  • It would be great if I could sync specific folders to another device, similar to Dropbox.
For "set it and forget it" cloud/offsite backup, it's very nice. I run a home server with an attached RAID array for all my files, and it is backed up automatically to Backblaze. This gives me peace-of-mind and after the initial upload was done, I don't even notice it. For consumer NAS devices, they offer plugins to back up to their object storage solution (B2), which is more expensive than the personal device plan but necessary for those devices.
June 23, 2019

I am a convert!

I use Backblaze for backing up important files in my home office. It serves a couple of purposes:
  1. I am trying to go more paperless, primarily as a way to increase my flexibility. But with that comes increased risk that there is a computer issue and then you lose important documents. Yes, there is always a risk with paper that there would be a fire or something, but with modern construction techniques, fires are relatively rare. It is more common, unfortunately, for computers to one day just stop working altogether (including, potentially, a hard drive).
  2. With the passage of time, more and more critical documents are received in a digital native format rather than paper. So each year, the number of important documents that I have digitally seems to be increasing.
  • Regular updates: I like that it sends me e-mails confirming everything has been backed up.
  • Simple: it just seems to work in the background really well.
  • Comprehensive: I have been converted to the Backblaze approach of just backing up the entire hard drive.
  • File sharing: I know they have a Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage option where users can upload some files to the cloud, but it is not as user-friendly as some other options (which is fine -- you don't need to compete with every product).
Backblaze is well suited to individuals who have a relatively large volume/size of critical files, so that they exceed the file size limits of the "free" or "freemium" backup solutions (such as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive and MEGASync).
I think it is also well suited to individuals who are relatively "forgetful" and would not drag and drop (or save) their files to the applicable back-up folder. For a long time, I was skeptical about the structure of backing up my whole hard drive -- there are lots of system files or program files that I don't actually need backed-up. But now I have a little bit of a piece of mind that, even if there is important data saved deep in the crevices of Windows, that it has been backed-up should I ever need to recover it.
Aaron Pinsker | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 07, 2019

Backblaze is an affordable and powerful cloud backup provider

Backblaze is used to backup individual and mission-critical computers to the cloud. Backblaze is primarily used to backup file servers and accounting computers that contain Quickbooks. The main problem Backblaze addresses is off-site backups in the event of a catastrophic incident on site (fire, theft, etc.) that would affect local backups.
  • Backblaze utilizes a native app across platforms vs. a javascript app you find with other backup services (CrashPlan being one of them). Native apps function better and have a better user interface than comparable javascript apps.
  • Backblaze has an intuitive interface that automatically backs everything up from your computer but allows you to easily exclude items you don't want or need to backup (applications, system files, etc.).
  • Backblaze has a built-in bandwidth cap and monitor allowing you to limit how much data is backed up on a daily basis to prevent going over ISP data caps or utilizing all of your upload bandwidth.
  • The main downside of Backblaze is that it only keeps deleted items for 30 days. In other words, if you delete an item off of your computer, it will stay in your Backblaze archive for 30 days before it is removed from the archive. In general practice, this isn't an issue, but there are times being able to go back further in time can be very useful - a feature that CrashPlan has (keeps ALL backed up files indefinitely).
  • While the user interface is easy to use, it is limited in comparison to other solutions. In particular, CrashPlan provides more control over how many resources the computer should use to back up - both while a user is present and while a user is away. Backblaze only allows for bandwidth throttling.
  • Backblaze does not offer a seeded backup - wherein if you have a large number of files to backup, you can send Backblaze a hard drive with those files to initially seed the backup so not all files will have to be uploaded prior to being backed up.
  • Backblaze cannot back up network shares - though this is by design. Network devices such as Synology NAS servers must utilize Backblaze's B2 service which can end up being very expensive.
Backblaze's "set it and forget it' interface is ideal for home users. In addition, the $50/year pricing is very competitive. Most business should find Backblaze as a very good backup solution, but in cases where a backup archive needs to be kept indefinitely, alternative solutions should be looked at (specifically CrashPlan - though it is significantly more expensive at $10/month).
Read Aaron Pinsker's full review
Stephen Yoder | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 14, 2017

Backblaze for the win

We are using Backblaze to provide workstation backups of our design and production teams. We moved to a cloud based solution after losing an external drive on a workstation and losing all of the data on it. This allows us to have a daily backup of our workstations as well as any external drives connected to them, without having to worry about onsite storage for the information.
  • Daily backup of the system without any user intervention. Our users don't need to remember to do anything, the backups just happen.
  • Ability to configure a backup time that works for the user. We chose to backup overnight to prevent a burden on our network.
  • The app doesn't use much in terms of resources. Many other backup systems take up a large amount of system resources to index the drives. Our users didn't notice a difference in system performance after having Backblaze installed.
  • Unlimited storage. We don't have to be concerned about storage capacity. Working with digital media, we have a large amount of data. Backblaze is able to handle it without any problems.
  • User management isn't the greatest. We had the choice of either a site license under one email address, or a domain license, allowing users to log in with their own email address, however there's no management for this option. I can see metrics of the users' backup, but I can't manage the accounts in any way.
Backblaze is great for pretty much any type of user. It's powerful enough to handle large amounts of files, but light enough to run on less powerful systems. Backblaze may become difficult to manage in a large organization with many users. The unlimited backup makes the service highly useful and flexible.
Read Stephen Yoder's full review
Alex Farnsworth | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 17, 2017

The "Go-To" Backup Solution for Mac Users

Backblaze is mainly used for clients that have an all Mac or large Mac user base. It is an extremely reliable and fast backup solution that has little system overhead. I have used it myself on my Mac for about two years and never looked at any other product. With backups being an extremely important IT item at a company it is really nice to not have to worry if backups are running properly or not.
  • Easy user interface
  • Ability to use a private key to encrypt your backups
  • Ability to have your backup shipped to you on a removable media type
  • Multi-tenancy support for MSP providers on there website
If you have a primarily or very large Mac user base. Backblaze exceeds all expectations with reliability and performance over using Time Machine to manage your backups.
Read Alex Farnsworth's full review
Gary Gray | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 14, 2017

Backblaze is a VITAL component in my backup strategy

We use Backblaze company-wide on multiple Macs as redundant offsite backup, complementing our existing on-site backups. This way in the event something happens to our local backups, we're protected with the cloud backup as an additional safety net.
  • Set it and forget it backup. Never even need to think about it - when I'm on wifi it's backing up my data.
  • Includes the ability to backup attached hard drives at no additional cost.
  • Easy setup of backup configuration.
  • Affordable pricing.
  • Lacks the ability to backup your Mac user library folder. I understand why it doesn't do this, but it should be clarified what doesn't get backed up when this folder is skipped: namely Outlook and Mac Mail databases. This can be quite a shock (as it was for me) when I attempted a recovery and was surprised to learn this data wasn't backed up to Backblaze.
If you're on a laptop and on the road, Backblaze is a vital backup option - as it backs up to the cloud when you're away from your TimeMachine or other backup setup back at home/office. Also, since it's always active it backs up constantly - so this morning's work is backed up before I get to the office and plug my Mac in to my external backup drive for the local backup.

Also, if you're one of those, "I keep meaning to backup, I'll do it one of these days" and then never get around to doing it - just does this once and you're good to go,
Read Gary Gray's full review
Eric L. Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 20, 2017

You better backup this review!

We use backblaze to backup individual workstations and laptops.
  • We have never had the program crash - not once.
  • Restores are very easy with backblaze.
  • I can see very little for ways of improvement with backblaze as we have never had a problem with it.
I can only repeat: It just works. It is rare for software to just work and work correctly and with little involvement.
Read Eric L. Johnson's full review
William Levins | TrustRadius Reviewer
May 27, 2015

Backblaze has saved my files (and butt) numerous times

Backblaze is our automatic remote back-up solution. It's installed on every computer in and out of the office: servers, laptops, and desktops too. It operates continuously and silently in the background most of the time. It's so good you forget about it until disaster strikes. A failed hard drive, an accidentally deleted file, or something worse - then you realize you've got a reliable, off-site back-up that you can quickly access and restore. We've used it to recover lost files and dead drives. I've personally used lots of backup solutions in the past. Tolis BRU, Dantz Retrospect, Apple's Time Machine, Carbonite are some of them. But I was always disappointed in some manner when a restore was needed - until Backblaze that is. So far, it has not let me down, and it's impressed me again and again and again.
  • Backblaze offers unlimited backups for a low-low cost per computer. Essentially, it's $5 for an all you can eat back-up buffet.
  • The interface is simple - both on the computer side when you're configuring it. But more importantly, the online interface to search through your stored data is simple and efficient. Once you find what you're missing you can restore via downloading a zipped archive, requesting a USB drive, or you can have large data loaded onto a hard drive.
  • It has never let me down - which in the world of remote back-up is amazing.
  • Occasionally, if you've made lots of changes to your files, Backblaze will kick into action and slow down your computer. Normally you don't notice this but sometimes it does become a resource hog. But... in the latest versions, you can simply pause the running backup or restrict backups to run only off-hours.
  • One feature I'd like to see added, the ability to pay for long term storage regardless if you connect your drive / device every 30 days. That's their cut-off time frame - if you've backed up a computer - but don't connect it to the internet once very 30 days - they actually delete all the data stored for that device. They give you plenty of warnings - but it'd be nice to have an option to pay for unlimited or longer retention.
  • I'd also like to see an easier way of "swapping" a device inside of their system. For instance, if you upgrade your computer, you can't convert your old computer into your new one and simply append data to what is already stored. You have to start from scratch and your old data is probably lost for good after 30 days unless you keep the computer around some how and connect it once per month.
I am like a walking Backblaze advertisement - everyone I talk to about computers gets an ear full of how great Backblaze is. I have no affiliation with the company other than an admiration for something that's done well and works so well too.
Read William Levins's full review
December 05, 2017

Backblaze on fire!

I am using Backblaze as a single user to back up my work computer. Backblaze works in the background and keeps a mirror copy of every file on my computer without any involvement from my end or any need to set up the backup process. When I do need to restore a file, I simply log in the online interface and restore a file. It's all very simple and secure.
  • Simple set up.
  • Works in the background.
  • Great interface for restoring files.
  • Can't think of anything.
Good for - Full, mirror backup for a single computer. No need for support. Not good for - quick access to files.
May 16, 2017

Backblaze Mac vs. Windows comparison

It's currently used as an automatic backup of machines at our company. Often times, a coworker's computer will break or they will download a virus or they need to be ported to a newer model for some reason. It allows users to port over their previous environments quickly and easily.
  • Restoring previous environments
  • Create backups
  • Stays in the background
  • Wouldn't allow Windows to enter sleep mode
  • Would wake up Windows from sleep mode
  • Drained excess Windows battery
It's good on Macs but bad on Windows. I ended up having to disable it because it was waking up my Windows computer in the middle of the night, draining all the battery, and I would come into work in the morning with a dead computer and all the documents that I was working on hadn't been saved. On a Mac I have had no problems like this at all.
March 20, 2017

Good product at a good price

At my previous organization, the entire team used Backblaze. It was a mandatory part of the onboarding process to have both Backblaze and a physical backup hard drive set up for one's computer. As a software company, the vast majority of the value was stored in our computers, and we trusted Backblaze as the most important safety net for protecting this value.
  • Speed
  • Ease of use
  • Reliability
  • I liked how I essentially forgot it was there until I needed it. However, I would like to see more (or more accessible) info about it.
  • Problems with handling external drives were somewhat confusing.
  • Occasional outages were understandable but not desirable.
If your entire workspace is located on your computer, then it's great. However, if you rely on external devices (drives, etc.), then it can get complicated, or even not work at all. Also, personally, I think it makes sense to treat an online backup solution as an *additional* help –– not as a replacement for backup on a physical drive.

About Backblaze

Backblaze headquartered in San Mateo, California offers continuous, automatic cloud backup for personal and business use.