Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Backup to the cloud (33)9.292%
- Multiple backup destinations (31)8.888%
- Incremental backup identification (32)8.383%
- Deduplication and file compression (34)8.282%
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Barracuda Backup, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Would you like us to let the vendor know that you want pricing?
- Tech Details
Barracuda Backup is a data recovery, restoration, and deduplication product from Barracuda Networks. It features data center backup support for email protection, network & application security, and general data protection.
● Encrypted Appliance
● Inline Deduplication
● Offsite Vaulting
● Cloud-to-Cloud Backup
● Unlimited Barracuda Cloud Storage
● Near Continuous Data Protection
The Barracuda Backup Agent can back up mission-critical servers every 15 minutes. These agents only look for new or changed files, minimizing the backup window required.
● Standard and Instant Data Recovery
● LiveBoot Barracuda
With LiveBoot, organizations protecting their VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V environments with Barracuda Backup have the option of utilizing Barracuda Cloud Storage if their own virtual environment goes down. Organizations can then have their local Barracuda Backup act as storage, booting the protected virtual machine from a deduplicated state within minutes. Customers that subscribe to the Instant Replacement feature below who replicate to Barracuda Cloud Storage can use Cloud LiveBoot to boot multiple VMs directly from deduplicated storage and assign private or public addresses to the devices.
● Instant Replacement
● Centralized Management
● Flexible Deployments
- Supported: Universal recovery
- Supported: Instant recovery
- Supported: Recovery verification
- Supported: Business application protection
- Supported: Multiple backup destinations
- Supported: Incremental backup identification
- Supported: Backup to the cloud
- Supported: Deduplication and file compression
- Supported: Snapshots
- Supported: Flexible deployment
- Supported: Management dashboard
- Supported: Platform support
- Supported: Retention options
- Supported: Encryption
|Operating Systems||Windows, Linux, Mac|
Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365
AvePoint Cloud Backup
Druva Data Resiliency Cloud
Veeam Backup & Replication
Unitrends Data Center Backup and Recovery
- VM Image Based Backup
- Individual file backup from file share
- Overall Mgmt/Admin GUI
- Tech Support
- Oracle Backup Support
- SQL Backup Support
- Provides quick review of backup status
- Good customer service
- The web interface could be updated to be more modern.
- Some views and access to information are not available within the web console, and only by asking tech support can I get some details.
- Cloud to cloud backup
- Office 365 Backup
- Full an partial backup
- Prone to timeout errors with large files
- Has long backup sessions
- Blocks Spam emails
- Backup crucial emails
- Restores lost or deleted emails
- Older interface could use an update
- Better documentation for how to perform certain functions
- Backing up the actual configuration of the system itself
- On-site/off-site data storage.
- Real time notifications of failures and successful backups.
- Two factor login support.
- Restoration from both onsite and could copies.
- Easy setup.
- Flexible scheduling.
- I’m happy with all that the solution offers.
- Backing up VMWare hosts
- Index searching
- Tech support
- Self diagnosing non mounting backup files
- Works well with VMware.
- Easy file recovery for directories and files.
- Quick restore for basic Virtual machines.
- Great for roll back instead of snapshots.
- Sometimes the cloud interface times out.
- Have had one flashed dead with firmware, was replaced.
- Restoring data is very easy.
- VMware and SQL backup and integration.
- The alerts could be better.
- The price seems a little expensive.
- Cloud replication
- The local management interface lacks a lot of features, but they are not necessary since the cloud interface works so well.
- Virtual and physical backup from day one.
- No cost per agent or VM.
- Cloud backup is secure and owned by Barracuda Backup.
- Local device to crunch the compression, and deduplication and handles all tasks. Also managed by Barracuda Backup and replaceable with an instant replacement subscription.
- The local device has a secure OS and is patched regularly.
- Barracuda Backup support is fantastic and can handle just about anything, and their remote access capabilities are amazing.
- The cloud restore can be slow, sometimes unusable.
- Searching for specific files in an extended retention policy is slow as well in the cloud.
- Local device is expensive and outgrowing it is a Capital expense to replace even with trade-in credits.
- Set and Forget. I rarely have to touch the Backup Servers. Once you specify your criteria, you really don't need to change it unless you have a physical change.
- Alerts. When there are issues such as files failing to backup or a directory no longer present, you get an email giving you all the information you need. In addition you will typically get contacted by support about it.
- Recovery is very simple. The restore browser is very good and it's just easy to find and restore data when you need it.
- Updates. When it comes to Exchange compatibility, Barracuda Backup has taken too long in catching up and ensuring you can do message level backups. It's a shame to have to wait on an upgrade because your backup solution is not ready.
- The update process. While it looks very easy to upgrade, I regularly have challenges completing an upgrade. Eventually you get it.
- Replacements. It's awesome that you can refresh your hardware when you have that warranty. But the two times I did it were very challenging. In the end we have new hardware. That's great. But they need to provide better support on implementing it.
- The interface can be extremely sluggish.
- The Barracuda Backup is simple to install, setup, and administer. At the same time gives you plenty of options to customize your setup to fit your needs.
- The restore process is much more simplified than many of the other backup solutions we've utilized.
- The alerts, and reporting features and second to none. We'll often time know when a backup has failed, and have the issue corrected long before the customer brings it to our attention.
- Barracuda's support team is great. Their intelligent, well versed in the product, and incredibly efficient.
- In some of the older version of the software, drilling down to restore a single files was quite the process. It's still a little slow to this day, but improvements have been made.
- It would be nice to have the ability to spin up a virtual machine directly on the backup appliance in the event of a failed server. At current time you need a Hyper-v or VMWare environment to restore a failed machine to.
- Once you put the device in cloud control mode, some of your options are limited when you log directly into the local appliance. I personally would like to see all the options remain the same so I can administer the device the same remotely and I would sitting in front of it.
For the smaller clients, with budget concerns, only a few servers, not having the ability to spin up a failed server on the backup appliance itself is a little painful since we'd have to replace the physical hardware before getting services back online. I think having this ability would make for a great selling point to those smaller to medium size businesses that could benefit from this product.
- Cloud and local access.
- It's easy to use, administrate, and maintain.
- It's easy to recover data in bulk or individual email/files.
- Backing up SharePoint 365.
- Backing up OneDrive.
- Backing up Exchange Office 365.
- VMware backup and integration.
- SQL backup and integration.
- They have excellent technical support response and knowledge.
- Reporting errors and issues is not detailed enough.
- Purging older data by admin is not available. You have to contact support to help free up storage.
It will be a great idea to have MFA ability for accessing a Barracuda account.
- Quickness to deploy. You will not need an expert to get this up and running.
- Extremely intuitive interface: Brand new techs can pick this up without much training.
- Global Accessibility: The cloud interface allows administrators to access their backups from everywhere for quick restores after hours.
- The pricing solution has gone from allowing on-premise ownership to forced cloud extortion. Basically, if you buy now you will be ok, but those of us who "owned" our solution previously are now forced to subscribe to the cloud model or be stuck with a brick.
- Speed of recovery could be improved.
- Target machine backup.
- Reports of failure.
- Backup to onsite storage and replication to the cloud.
- It's easy to use the interface to see how the appliance is doing.
- I wish I could make the appliance an onsite public IP so that it could back up public machines not on the network.
- Backups are readily available.
- Error reports detail what is wrong. Barracuda customer support is very helpful and they're open 24/7.
- We can manage all our clients under the Barracuda cloud control. Which is easier then switching websites.
- We are given a detailed list of Office 365 items that are not being backed up. This allows us to make changed to each user and disregard what we don't what to get backed up.
- Offsite vaulting has allowed us to put revisions to the cloud and their retention policies are easy to understand.
- Sometimes I do have to call support and ask a question or have help with an installation. This is not that often. Its because I cannot tell what the error is.
- We had to lower a retention policy because the device we ordered was filling up way too fast. We were told that this device was good enough for the allocated size of the VM.
- Adjusting admin settings on cloud control took way more time to figure out. At times it would give us an error or the change in admin status would not accept on the web browser.
- The interface is clean and easy to navigate. The restorations are easy and direct
- Restoring files and versions of previous files is very easy
- It does not require a dedicated server to run its software
- It is simple to make backup copies of files for DR
- The configurations require much more extensive work.
- Can not replicate to older models, for example from a 190 to a 390.
- Archiving is easy for our end users to search old emails.
- Backing up systems is easy and comprehensive . It is easy to restore files or systems.
- Barracuda support is second to none when you need them.
- More training material or courses could be included.
- Notifications could have a bit more configuration.
- Archive alerts would be nice.
- Thorough selection list with customized data sets per server.
- Customizable schedule for all data sources and customizable data retention policies.
- Restorability based on data age and saves space with deduplication and "smart" backup plans.
- Minor selection list issues default to "deselected" meaning unchecking a single tree of folders with new additions below the selected do not automatically get backed up.
- Funky message-level backups of Exchange require manually adding new users to the scheme or leaving several mailboxes to error out on reports if leaving "All selected".
- Compliance requirements that limit offsite cloud storage option leave "not-ready-for-prime time" copy to an external hard drive that can be rotated offsite. This software is installed on a server with the external drive connected but does NOT function as well as it should.
- Disaster recovery
- Cloud replication
- Easy to manage
- 4 year refresh cycle (with a larger more powerful appliance)
- The first couple setups that we did were confusing (regarding retention settings), but once you get the hang of it its a snap
- If you are using large SQL databases or have a big Info Store, you may undersize the appliance needed
- Barracuda's deduplication compression is really good to save space.
- The process to restore files is very flexible and easy.
- The backup dashboard has useful system information that is provided at glance.
- The Barracuda portal can be accessed anywhere without configuring firewalls.
- A better way to access network configurations.
- A more robust error reporting.
- The user interface is very easy to use
- The cloud storage is seemless
- The retention policies are simple to understand and use
- There have been some issues with downloading backed up files directly from the Barracuda cloud lately.
- The pricing seems too high, but all of the competing backup appliances have that same issue unless you can negotiate a good deal.
- The cloud control is great!! I'm able to restore files and folders from basically any machine on the Internet. I can restore either the local machine I'm using at the time, or directly to the server from which it came.
- The user interface. Very easy to use and understand. Loads of options and configurations you can optimize for your particular needs.
- Instance replacement. We have had an issue with one unit due to some hardware failure. Barracuda was amazing on getting this replaced quickly and getting us back on track.
- On the restore functionality, I'd like to be able to see multiple folders revisions. Its hard to explain, but the restore function of drilling down to get certain files instead of having to download an entire folder.
- To be able to see file / folder sizes before downloading so I could have a better idea of download times and such.
- Easy of use is key. Installing it on the network and applying the needed resources to the servers and workstations is a snap. Understanding retention and replication is given to you at a glance.
- Support is king. It doesn't matter how great a product is if you don't get the support from the vendor to back you up. I have always had excellent experiences talking with Barracuda support.
- It's hard to point out any flaws other than perhaps the price point can be a little high for smaller businesses. But you need to weigh that against total data loss.
- Full backup and incrementals for all our servers.
- Granular restore at a file level if needed.
- Cloud storage for archived backups.
- The UI could be a little more intuitive as sometimes it's confusing to find certain menu options.