Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Reviews

December 08, 2020
Jay Glatt | TrustRadius Reviewer
We purchased the Barracuda CGF to replace our current Cisco Firewall. We have always suffered issues trying to manage the Cisco firewall. The Barracuda CGF is user friendly and much more intuitive. We started using the CudaLaunch to begin with, as a necessity from the ongoing pandemic. It saved us! Being that we are new (less than 6 months) on the Barracuda CGF, we have not yet moved all of our firewall settings over to it and implemented the firewall portion fully. We intend to do that soon.
  • We only use the CudaLaunch now and love it!!
  • I can't think of anything
Since we have only implemented the Barracuda CloudGen Firewall a few months ago, we only started using the CudaLaunch VPN portion of the firewall. We had used several other VPN utilities, and they all had issues over time. Mostly with disconnecting the user. We have not had any issues with the Barracuda CGF CudaLaunch VPN at all in the months we have been using it. And believe me, with the pandemic, we have been using it heavily over the past months.

We will be moving our old Cisco firewall settings to the Barracuda CGF and coming off of the Cisco firewall completely in the near future.
Read Jay Glatt's full review
December 02, 2020
Our Barracuda NextGen CloudGen firewall users being used to secure our companies main and backup internet connections. We also use it for the failover of our main internet to our backup. I replaced a WatchGuard firebox with this firewall because the cost of maintenance was high on the WatchGuard and the management of the Barracuda was much simpler and could be done without a locally installed client like with the WatchGuard. You can manage the Barracuda from anywhere with Barracuda cloud control even running firmware updates from your phone on all you Barracuda devices. It just makes my job so much easier.
  • Ease of management, you can remotely manage it from anywhere with cloud control.
  • Instant replacement service will send a new firewall to your door the next business day if you have a failure.
  • Support is very responsive and is very knowledgeable.
  • My main complaint would be that I cannot set a time out for client to site VPN connections.
  • Another thing that isn’t very great is the SSL VPN is run through a webpage and is somewhat complicated for an end-user. I have stayed with the IPSec VPN because the SSL VPN is not Intuitive for my users.
I would say a small business with a basic firewall and security needs would be a perfect fit for the Barracuda CloudGen firewall. I know that they soon end up leaving the NG models and are moving forward with the F series firewall. I think the F series is a much more difficult to manage device and doesn’t offer simplistic configuration or use and lacks cloud control so I don’t understand the move on Barracuda’s part to nix a great easy to manage the firewall. I do think that the NG line is maybe too simple for bigger businesses and would lack some main features that they would require.
They are very quick to answer the phone and I think I haven’t waited more than 5 minutes in the queue and if you have to hang up they actually call you back when it’s your turn in line. They have a secure tunnel that you can open for them to get into your device and help you with basically anything. It’s pretty magical if you ask me.
October 11, 2020
It is our company-wide firewall and provides a back-up web filtering service to compliment an existing solution. It allows us to redirect traffic from outside of the physical building and provide a secure connection to a number of internally host web applications. It also provides a layer of security to our monitored CCTV solution.
  • Robust hardware (no failures in 6 years).
  • Relatively easy to manage.
  • Upgraded hardware every 4 years.
  • Difficult initial set-up for non-network proficient staff.
  • Web-filter reporting is not great.
  • Support can be quite difficult to reach.
Well suited to a larger company with dedicated staff. Would possibly be a little complex for smaller businesses. There are a lot of functions that we don't use as a basic firewall would probably have sufficed, but the build quality and scope for future expansion make it worthwhile. Clearer documentation on how to enable features for specific scenarios would help us to get more out of it.
Documents can often be a little too technical, and lacking in real-world application. No initial support was offered in the setting up of the device, although this may be the fault of the supplier as opposed to Barracuda themselves.
August 03, 2020
We bought the CloudGen to replace an aging Juniper firewall - to increase throughput, security, and flexibility. At the start of lockdown, we had plenty of people working from home - the built-in Client To Site VPN has been a godsend in terms of connecting remote workers.
  • Easy to manage. The Dashboard allows you to configure all your 'need to see' options and the GUI is easily navigated.
  • Builtin VPN. We used the built in VPN facilities to help stabilise our MS Direct Access connection for teachers and students during the recent lockdown. It was easy to configure and simple to use in that the user doesn't have to do anything as it can all be automated to connect at login.
  • Not come across any yet! A nice-to-have could be a mobile app which allows you to monitor it on your phone or mobile device.
CloudGen is perfect for our size business to help remote workers connect seamlessly with the VPN product. We have around 120 staff and 900+ students with the ability to connect remotely to the school - the CloudGen provides the throughput and the security to allow this. Obviously not all people are connected at once, but as far as I'm aware there is no user limit.
Had one issue where I misconfigured it - had great instant support from Barracuda - got me back on track in a matter of minutes.
February 03, 2020
Paul Metzger | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are a regional mental healthcare provider. As such, we have members of our staff that are mobile a good bit of their day. To that end, in addition to the standard firewall features that we utilize, this also serves as a VPN endpoint for our mobile staff. In addition to the C2S VPN, we also use the S2S VPN for smaller facilities that need access but we can't really justify anything more than an internet connection for. As an added bonus, we do utilize the advanced threat features to give us the first layer for virus/malware detection and prevention before the traffic ever gets to the AV software that is used on each workstation. Finally, we leverage the NGs IDS/IPS to make sure the only traffic that is on the network is what is supposed to be here.
  • It is just a dang good firewall. It does things some of the more expensive firewalls (not going to call out ASA) cannot do at a fraction of the cost.
  • Barracuda's support is second to none.
  • I can't really think of any. I am sure there are some areas it could improve on, but right now I have 0 complaints about anything on them.
It is a good general-purpose firewall. We use it as a firewall, a VPN concentrator, and for intrusion prevention. It does a wonderful job with each of these tasks. In terms of the F380 itself, I would not be well suited to a small office purely based on cost, but the F12 does a good job for those areas.
I could go on and on about how good Barracuda's support really is. I have yet to have a problem they didn't help me fix and I always learn something when talking with them. The story that best describes my overall experience with Barracuda's support is this: When I first put in the xSeries they had a problem with a policy route. There was a bug in the code and in the one situation I was it, it just would not work. I went up the levels of support and they couldn't fix it. Well, next thing I know I am on the phone with 2 of the guys that programmed the thing and they work out the solution in no time and get me going. That is support. That is what I have come to expect from Barracuda. If the tech on the phone doesn't know the answer, they do not stop until they find it. Grant it, I also have to admit I do not call support with every problem, I try to work it out on my own first as that is how I learn best, so when I do call support it is going to be complicated.
Read Paul Metzger's full review
December 27, 2017
Derek Schroeder | TrustRadius Reviewer
Barracuda NG Firewalls are in place for my company as well as every client that requires the purchase of a firewall. There are several tiers of firewalls and they come packed with security features and services.
  • Barracuda NG Firewalls are extremely customizable for any environment and support all configurations with their firewall rules.
  • Security features such as hardware-level AntiVirus and Advanced Threat Protection, as well as SSL Inspection as all traffic passes through the appliance.
  • Control Center is far superior to other products for globally managing numerous firewalls and creating and deploying templates on-the-fly.
  • VPN connections have never been easier. Once configured within Control Center, drag and drop is all that is needed to connect two Internet-connected firewalls.
  • Very complex and steep learning curve to get up to speed.
  • Multiple ways to configure for the same service or feature. Takes time to determine "your" customized build.
  • Interface can sometimes be clunky when trying to determine how it's organized or arranged. Again, steep learning curve.
There are multiple tiers of models for the Barracuda NG Firewalls, but there is a firewall for any size company. Once the steep learning curve of the configuration is surpassed, they are one of the most powerful business firewalls available. Highly, highly recommend and the support from Barracuda is incredible.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
November 29, 2018
We have the Barracuda NG (Next Generation) Firewall Model F400. Coming from and older command line managed firewall, the F400 has made management of our Firewalls much easier. It is our primary firewall solution for us,
  • The management software is excellent. It make it much easier to manage the firewalls than some of the other vendors.
  • Watching real-time traffic is easy to do when trying to troubleshoot a users issues getting to a particular service.
  • Support from Barracuda has been excellent. We rate their phone and online remote support as being the best in the business.
  • We like the QoS and Traffic shaping of the NG Firewalls. They help is manage our limited bandwidth, so that business critical resources are available over lesser critical resources.
  • Integration with Active Directory makes it easy to identify users activities in logs.
  • Sorting of objects such as by IP address in the management software or by description in the object windows would be a nice feature.
  • Setting of inactivity timeouts on VPN connections would be a nice feature.
The firewalls management is made easy through its very good management software. It has a lot of features such as VPN, ATP, IPS, Real-time log views, Active Directory integration, Virus Scanning of traffic / file downloads, High Availability Failover, Qos / Traffic Shaping, and a nice quick glance dashboard.
December 22, 2017
We are a reseller of Barracuda products. Not only do we sell, implement, support etc. the appliances, but we also use them in our environment. Since installing these devices at our office (and close to 50 clients) the amount of malware infections has been reduced exponentially. They are a VERY cost effective, secure product and anytime we have needed support, they have been able to resolve our issues in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Securing the environment(s)
  • Feature rich
  • Easy to manage (using multi-tenant cloud console)
  • The NG product line has a small learning curve over prior lines.
  • If you aren't diligent with spec'ing out the correct model/size with the features you plan to use, you may purchase a unit that doesn't have enough resources (and will need to be upgraded). This is not a Barracuda issue though.
  • Sandbox feature for emails can be sluggish at times (if scanning very large attachments).
Anyone that has a business and/or stores client data MUST have a next generation firewall, zero exceptions. If you have multiple sites, configuring a VPN between them takes less than a minute to configure. The surprising thing is that these devices have many more features than their competitors but often cost less. Throw in the 4-year refresh cycle and you never need to purchase another appliance.

Identification Technologies (5)
Visualization Tools (5)
Content Inspection (4)
Policy-based Controls (5)
Active Directory and LDAP (5)
Firewall Management Console (5)
Reporting and Logging (5)
6.5
VPN (4)
High Availability (5)
Stateful Inspection (4)
Proxy Server (2)

What is Barracuda CloudGen Firewall?

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) is a next-generation firewall product. CloudGen is designed for multisite, dispersed networks. It provides the market-standard firewall features, including application control, intrusion prevention, web filtering, antimalware/antispam, and site-to-site VPN. Additionally, Barracuda offers Advanced Threat Protection (ATP), sandboxing for testing suspicious traffic and data, load-balancing between uplinks, and real-time traffic reporting, as well as add-on firewall reporting capabilities.

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall can be deployed via the cloud or on-premises. It also functions as a manageable service for MSPs to provide to clients.

Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Features