Reviews (1-5 of 5)
February 03, 2020
Score 10 out of 10
We are a regional mental healthcare provider. As such, we have members of our staff that are mobile a good bit of their day. To that end, in addition to the standard firewall features that we utilize, this also serves as a VPN endpoint for our mobile staff. In addition to the C2S VPN, we also use the S2S VPN for smaller facilities that need access but we can't really justify anything more than an internet connection for. As an added bonus, we do utilize the advanced threat features to give us the first layer for virus/malware detection and prevention before the traffic ever gets to the AV software that is used on each workstation. Finally, we leverage the NGs IDS/IPS to make sure the only traffic that is on the network is what is supposed to be here.
- It is just a dang good firewall. It does things some of the more expensive firewalls (not going to call out ASA) cannot do at a fraction of the cost.
- Barracuda's support is second to none.
- I can't really think of any. I am sure there are some areas it could improve on, but right now I have 0 complaints about anything on them.
Read Paul Metzger's full review
It is a good general-purpose firewall. We use it as a firewall, a VPN concentrator, and for intrusion prevention. It does a wonderful job with each of these tasks. In terms of the F380 itself, I would not be well suited to a small office purely based on cost, but the F12 does a good job for those areas.
October 30, 2019
Score 7 out of 10
Our Barracuda NextGen CloudGen firewall users being used to secure our companies main and backup internet connections. We also use it for the failover of our main internet to our backup. I replaced a WatchGuard firebox with this firewall because the cost of maintenance was high on the WatchGuard and the management of the Barracuda was much simpler and could be done without a locally installed client like with the WatchGuard. You can manage the Barracuda from anywhere with Barracuda cloud control even running firmware updates from your phone on all you Barracuda devices. It just makes my job so much easier.
- Ease of management, you can remotely manage it from anywhere with cloud control.
- Instant replacement service will send a new firewall to your door the next business day if you have a failure.
- Support is very responsive and is very knowledgeable.
- My main complaint would be that I cannot set a time out for client to site VPN connections.
- Another thing that isn’t very great is the SSL VPN is run through a webpage and is somewhat complicated for an end-user. I have stayed with the IPSec VPN because the SSL VPN is not Intuitive for my users.
Read this authenticated review
I would say a small business with a basic firewall and security needs would be a perfect fit for the Barracuda CloudGen firewall. I know that they soon end up leaving the NG models and are moving forward with the F series firewall. I think the F series is a much more difficult to manage device and doesn’t offer simplistic configuration or use and lacks cloud control so I don’t understand the move on Barracuda’s part to nix a great easy to manage the firewall. I do think that the NG line is maybe too simple for bigger businesses and would lack some main features that they would require.
November 29, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
We have the Barracuda NG (Next Generation) Firewall Model F400. Coming from and older command line managed firewall, the F400 has made management of our Firewalls much easier. It is our primary firewall solution for us,
- The management software is excellent. It make it much easier to manage the firewalls than some of the other vendors.
- Watching real-time traffic is easy to do when trying to troubleshoot a users issues getting to a particular service.
- Support from Barracuda has been excellent. We rate their phone and online remote support as being the best in the business.
- We like the QoS and Traffic shaping of the NG Firewalls. They help is manage our limited bandwidth, so that business critical resources are available over lesser critical resources.
- Integration with Active Directory makes it easy to identify users activities in logs.
- Sorting of objects such as by IP address in the management software or by description in the object windows would be a nice feature.
- Setting of inactivity timeouts on VPN connections would be a nice feature.
Read this authenticated review
The firewalls management is made easy through its very good management software. It has a lot of features such as VPN, ATP, IPS, Real-time log views, Active Directory integration, Virus Scanning of traffic / file downloads, High Availability Failover, Qos / Traffic Shaping, and a nice quick glance dashboard.
December 27, 2017
Score 10 out of 10
Barracuda NG Firewalls are in place for my company as well as every client that requires the purchase of a firewall. There are several tiers of firewalls and they come packed with security features and services.
- Barracuda NG Firewalls are extremely customizable for any environment and support all configurations with their firewall rules.
- Security features such as hardware-level AntiVirus and Advanced Threat Protection, as well as SSL Inspection as all traffic passes through the appliance.
- Control Center is far superior to other products for globally managing numerous firewalls and creating and deploying templates on-the-fly.
- VPN connections have never been easier. Once configured within Control Center, drag and drop is all that is needed to connect two Internet-connected firewalls.
- Very complex and steep learning curve to get up to speed.
- Multiple ways to configure for the same service or feature. Takes time to determine "your" customized build.
- Interface can sometimes be clunky when trying to determine how it's organized or arranged. Again, steep learning curve.
Read Derek Schroeder's full review
There are multiple tiers of models for the Barracuda NG Firewalls, but there is a firewall for any size company. Once the steep learning curve of the configuration is surpassed, they are one of the most powerful business firewalls available. Highly, highly recommend and the support from Barracuda is incredible.
We are a reseller of Barracuda products. Not only do we sell, implement, support etc. the appliances, but we also use them in our environment. Since installing these devices at our office (and close to 50 clients) the amount of malware infections has been reduced exponentially. They are a VERY cost effective, secure product and anytime we have needed support, they have been able to resolve our issues in a reasonable amount of time.
- Securing the environment(s)
- Feature rich
- Easy to manage (using multi-tenant cloud console)
- The NG product line has a small learning curve over prior lines.
- If you aren't diligent with spec'ing out the correct model/size with the features you plan to use, you may purchase a unit that doesn't have enough resources (and will need to be upgraded). This is not a Barracuda issue though.
- Sandbox feature for emails can be sluggish at times (if scanning very large attachments).
Read this authenticated review
Anyone that has a business and/or stores client data MUST have a next generation firewall, zero exceptions. If you have multiple sites, configuring a VPN between them takes less than a minute to configure. The surprising thing is that these devices have many more features than their competitors but often cost less. Throw in the 4-year refresh cycle and you never need to purchase another appliance.
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Scorecard Summary
Feature Scorecard Summary
About Barracuda CloudGen Firewall
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall (formerly NG Firewalls) is a next-generation firewall product. CloudGen is designed for multisite, dispersed networks. It provides the market-standard firewall features, including application control, intrusion prevention, web filtering, antimalware/antispam, and site-to-site VPN. Additionally, Barracuda offers Advanced Threat Protection (ATP), sandboxing for testing suspicious traffic and data, load-balancing between uplinks, and real-time traffic reporting, as well as add-on firewall reporting capabilities.
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall can be deployed via the cloud or on-premises. It also functions as a manageable service for MSPs to provide to clients.
Categories: IoT Security, Network Access Control (NAC), Software-Defined WAN, Virtual Private Network (VPN), Web Content Filtering, Firewall
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Screenshots
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Competitors
Fortinet FortiGate, Cisco, WatchGuard
- Has featureFree Trial Available?Yes
- Does not have featureFree or Freemium Version Available?No
- Does not have featurePremium Consulting/Integration Services Available?No
- Entry-level set up fee?No
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Barracuda CloudGen Firewall Technical Details
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Linux, Mac|