Score 8.7 out of 10

What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

Barracuda Email Security Gateway is designed to protect against inbound malware, spam, phishing, and Denial of Service attacks, and ensure that business productivity isn’t impacted by attacks through the email system.

• Anti-malware (15)
  • Threat Detection (15)
    6.5
  • Management Tools (15)
    6.0
  • Cusomizability (13)
    5.3

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Barracuda Email Security Gateway, and make your voice heard!

13 people want pricing too

What is FileWall?

odix - a provider of Enterprise CDR (Content Disarm and Reconstruction), is now offering its own native application for securing Microsoft Office 365 mailboxes. CDR technology is a detection-less method to disarm zero-days and Windows Defender (formerly APT)’s in files, that the vendor says is…

What is Kiteworks?

Kiteworks empowers organizations to manage risk in every send, share, receive, and save of sensitive content over numerous communications channels: email, file sharing, managed file transfer, APIs, and web forms. The Kiteworks platform unifies, tracks, controls, and secures sensitive content moving…

Features

Secure Email Gateway

Secure email gateway software prevents the transmission of emails that contravene company policy or contain malware, phishing attacks, spam or other unwanted emails

6.5Avg 8.4

What is Barracuda Email Security Gateway?

The Barracuda Email Security Gateway is an email security gateway that manages and filters all inbound and outbound email traffic to protect organizations from email-borne threats and data leaks. As a complete email management solution, the Barracuda Email Security Gateway lets organizations encrypt messages and leverage the cloud to spool email if mail servers become unavailable. The Barracuda Email Security Gateway is offered without per-user or per-feature fees, and is also available as a virtual appliance or in a public cloud environment (Amazon Web Services (AWS), or Microsoft Azure).

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Features

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Competitors

Barracuda Email Security Gateway Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows, Linux, Mac

Mimecast Secure Email Gateway are common alternatives for Barracuda Email Security Gateway.

Reviewers rate End-to-End Encryption highest, with a score of 7.7.

The most common users of Barracuda Email Security Gateway are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees).

With the changing landscape of the Covid Pandemic, Phishing and scamming have become a pandemic to companies and IT teams. We have leveraged outBarracuda Email Security Gateway to block countries that proliferate these attacks.
  • Blocking Countries Know to send Phishing Scams
  • Port Mapping Could be clearer
Well suited to any company that depends on email communications for customers, vendors or where the business depends heavily on email communications.
Can't say I can think of any business that would not be suited to use an email security gateway in this day and age. One bad link clicked can wreak havoc on any business.
82.85714285714286%
  • Risk Mitigation
  • Increased Efficiency
Barracuda Email Security Gateway support is great at responding and escalating cases when needed. Timeliness is key when dealing with email attacks, spoofing or malware. Barracuda also has great resources for end-user training as our end users are our first line of defense in combatting attacks on our company. Training end-users pays off in time spent dealing with any email attacks
So far we have had limited problems the one's we have had we can attribute to poor user judgement not our gateway failing. One of the best features is the Barracuda is intuitive to choices we make on blocking or rejecting emails which is a great feature. lessens are need to repetitively enter the same information
Mike Maner | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use the Barracuda Email Security Gateway to filter inbound and outbound email traffic to protect from threats via email including spam, phishing attacks, malware or fraudulent content. Although the Barracuda [Email Security Gateway] is located at the headquarters facility It is being used company wide at multiple physical locations and remote worker locations.
  • It filters unwanted spam
  • It filters phishing attacks
  • It filters malware
  • It filters fraudulent content
  • The WebUI has some issues. Cross platform compatibility is questionable.
  • Fiber connectivity would be great.
The Barracuda Email Security Gateway is a robust and feature rich platform, does the job it's supposed to do and integrates into existing networks easily. It is not cheap, but valuable performance never is. It is one of the truly "set it and forget it" appliances in my tool set.
Secure Email Gateway (6)
81.66666666666666%
6.0
Management Tools
  • The Barracuda [Email Security Gateway] cloud based fail over protection is worth the cost all by itself.
  • The management cost of email borne threats is hard to quantify, we do business through email, so its of massive importance.
The Barracuda [Email Security Gateway] is cost comparative to the Sonicwall Email Security appliance but outperforms it in every scenario we tested. The Mimecast Security Email Gateway was not a good fit, had far too many "beta" quality features. The Cisco Email Security Appliance had complicated and much more expensive license requirements and did not offer a trial for testing. The Barracuda Email Security Gateway won hands down.
SOLIDWORKS, SolarWinds Dameware Remote Support (DRS), SonicWall NSA Series, SonicWall VPN Clients
Support is perfect. I have always received a timely response, engineering is promptly available, I even received a replacement unit because the original "might" have had an HD issue.
The WebUI leaves a bit to be desired, it is utilitarian in nature. Operationally it just works. Install. Setup, wall away knowing your protected.
Availability is robust and flawless. This is a non-issue, its always up & running and fail-over protection is available for restarts or upgrades.
The WebUI is the only piece I find lacking on the Barracuda ESK. Its is not the fastest and is fairly utilitarian in its approach. The Outlook plug-in, while not in wide use here, causes zero slowdown in Outlook or the Barracuda ESG.
Through this application, I can keep my computer and system safe during its time of use and it is very helpful when detecting any threat as it has done in my system since its installation, I no longer have any problem due to the damage to my software since Barracuda protects my computer without any problem. In addition to everything with its functionalities, our company has been able to benefit successfully since our teams are in their most optimal operation, giving them better benefit and long duration and not worrying about any type of hacking, thanks to Barracuda we can be calm whenever we navigate in the network without being infected by malware.
  • I love it because it gives me a lot of security, it is very advanced and it allows me to protect my system.
  • I can also navigate secretly through its platforms that give me security by creating copies of secure and verified links to be in the network always protected under The guardianship of security experts, I can also control or block unwanted pages through the settings that this wonderful system gives me.
  • As well as, I can delete any document or file that I have had for a long time, its login on my computer through its operating systems on my PCs, Macs, Android or iOS is of excellent execution.
  • Once installed on the computer, it starts its perimeter scan to publicize the vulnerabilities that exist in my computers as well as an IP or VPN system that allows me to access blocked pages according to my geographical location.
  • Barracuda is an excellent software but it usually presents perimeter scanner failures since it does not cover adjacent dangers in the network that can also affect or be the victim of hackers of my computers in the long term.
It has problems and throws inconvenience to users when migrating from a mobile device to windows, making the installation and its use inside the computer affected by problems of downloading, installing or starting the product.
78.57142857142857%
Management Tools
  • It helps us keep our information under control by reducing the possible costs of lost information that could be very high.
Barracuda always has a quick response when any inconvenience arises.
October 25, 2019

Bang for your buck

Timothy Good | TrustRadius Reviewer
We migrated from this to the big box Proofpoint. We were sold on all the bells and whistles. And I can honestly say this did a better job for our organizational size.
  • Support
  • Delegated management
  • Domain customizations
  • Support needs to be better, but they knew we were leaving them and that might be why the support suffered.
  • Access to hidden features.
  • Better scanning of large mail messages.
If you provide infrastructure as a service, this is the best product of you. Tons of storage as well.
61.42857142857143%
6.1
5.0
3.0
5.0
Management Tools
  • Affordable compared to other products.
  • Logging was basic and simple.
I did not make the selection, I support the service. It was simple to support, patching was easy.
In the beginning, the support was rough, it eventually got really good, then when we started migrating off it went back down again.
Our entire organization consisting of Police, Fire, Public Works, IT, Community Development, Park, etc., are affected by the use of our Barracuda Email Gateway. We have been using our appliance and recently cloud service for around 10 years. The gateway helps remove nearly all malicious messages including phishing.
  • The intent analysis has learned what types of messages are malicious and stops most phishing emails.
  • Barracuda is frequently updating and adding new security features.
  • The cloud gateway was recently added a part of the energize updates. This keeps all malicious emails away from our network before sending the emails to our on premise appliance.
  • The appliance has a feature to block all office macros. This is a great feature but only has an on/off setting. I would like to see the additional of allowing exclusions for users who need to receive office macros.
  • The feature for email encryption is great and allows us to not require an additional product or service for this. Unfortunately this is similar to the office macro feature and does not allow exclusions. The setting automatically detects information like credit cards, social security numbers, and other sensitive information. I have a user who works with Japanese companies. Japanese phone numbers apparently trigger the SSN filter. I wish I could put an exclusion in for this recipient or sender.
  • I wish the appliance had an auto firmware update option. Where non major releases would be automatically installed.
The Barracuda Email Security gateway is very easy to manage and does not need constant babysitting. The system learns what types of scams are currently seen and blocks them through specific algorithms. The gateway also has a heuristic feature where it can learn what types of emails your organization receives and filter based on the learning. I have managed other spam filters and highly recommend the Barracuda due to ease of use.
95.71428571428571%
9.6
10.0
  • The gateway learns current scam which can prevent unmeasureable damage. As a government organization attacks on our network affect public safety.
  • Previous gateways I have managed have required significant amounts of time grooming. The Barracuda gateway has freed up a great deal of my time due to its intelligence and intent scanning.
  • I have very few incidences where a legitimate malicious email will pass through the filter. Just one of these emails can wreak havoc on an organization.
Forcepoint Email Security, formerly Websense, had poor intent analysis and learning. I spent a large portion of my time tagging spam emails that were not blocked. Barracuda consistently improves their offering and stays current with trend of malicious messages.
Barracuda customer support is great. Most of the time when I can an actual tech support representative answers, not some person that will just take a message. If one is not available I will receive a call back in a very short time.