BigCommerce Reviews

Do you work for this company?

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Matthew Walker profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Though Shopify has an easy to use interface for the beginners in eCommerce, they charge an additional merchant fee for using a payment gateway other than their own. For a store like mine where margins are already slim, added fees and charges can really stack up. BigCommerce provides you with the ability to choose your payment gateway without added fees.
When compared to Squarespace, simply put, BigCommerce provides me with a much greater selection of apps, marketing tools, and website template customization.
Read Matthew Walker's full review
Asher Hoffman profile photo

Alternatives Considered

BigCommerce allows much more customizability, better reporting, and easier management. I've experienced way fewer issues and their tech support has been above and beyond anything I've experienced elsewhere. The scalability is far superior to any of the above-mentioned site builders and is an all in one solution for small to medium-sized businesses needing to create an online store.
Read Asher Hoffman's full review
Mark Linkhorst profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We sell high-risk items as far as the banks are concerned. BigCommerce allows me to make the changes I need to make myself without having to rely on a web designer to assist me. Squarespace and Stripe dropped us for selling "drug paraphernalia" so we needed a solution quickly that our merchant account would work thru and BigCommerce is the solution we needed. I've dealt with WooCommerce & Shopify in the past selling similar products. We are extremely happy with our current setup with BigCommerce over any solutions previously used.
Read Mark Linkhorst's full review
Stephen Oostdyk profile photo

Alternatives Considered

There is a night and day difference between Yahoo Web Hosting and BigCommerce. BigCommerce is better in literally every way. When I first began looking for a different product 6 years ago, I had evaluated Shopify but did not actully purchase it or try it out as our main provider. BigCommerce's templates looked better, and more importantly, BigCommerce allows digital product sales.
Read Stephen Oostdyk's full review
David Mason profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I tried using an open-source platform and debated using this instead of BigCommerce. The open-source platform would be cheaper on a month to month basis and much more flexible when it came to customization, but was far more expensive to get initially set up and required us to carry much more in house expertise.
Read David Mason's full review
Sandi Keller profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I spent 4 years on the Volusion platform. While being a website geek and loving all the options I had to make it very unique and specific, and the bulk edit for products was amazing, Volusion charging for bandwidth usage as well as the whole back end would be much more difficult for a non-geek to use and why I wouldn't recommend them to any of my industry friends (most are newbs in the website realm). BC is much easier to learn, manage and grow with.

Shopify I have researched and even done the free trial a couple of times, It was probably the biggest competitor in my opinion when I was searching to leave Volusion. While it has a couple of great perks/bells and whistles to it in regards design and flow for a customer, it is quite a bit more expensive the BC, Shopify has less built-in options (would have to pay for quite a few add ons/apps) and being not friendly at all to our industry friends that did go with them, I'm beyond glad I went with BigCommerce!
Read Sandi Keller's full review
Mark Hughey profile photo

Alternatives Considered

We think BigCommerce offers some pretty distinct advantages over word press. It is all built like one, and very functional versus WP. With WP you are often cobbling together a lot of plugins. If you are a programmer with experience with WordPress you will probably be fine, but if you are like us, and not a programmer, the WordPress sites can be very intimidating, and the end result may be a website that is not very functional, or secure.
Read Mark Hughey's full review
Merritt Hansen profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Other products I looked into either required too much expert coding to set up a website, or they were too simple and did not allow bulk product imports via flat file. BigCommerce fills the space between enterprise level and very small business well. It's a great platform for Small-Medium sized businesses.
Read Merritt Hansen's full review
Mary Collins profile photo

Alternatives Considered

• For Teacher's Pet Publications, I have had an e-commerce website since 1996 or 97. I used Magento for about 10 years, I used Word Press for a year, and years ago I used something called Mail Order Manager. I have also used custom platforms via developers.
  • Magento offered many options and worked well, but it required the use of a developer to make some changes that are more easily done in Big Commerce. Integration with other apps and channels is better in BC than Magento. Magento is a little more robust and a little more geared toward developer use, but I like that BC is geared toward business-owner use. Integrating some third-party software is not possible in BC, whereas it was in Magento.
  • Building my own Word Press site was not difficult. The problem with that was keeping updated all the apps and features I wanted to have. That was a pain in the neck. The eCommerce integration was not nearly as good as BC's either.
Read Mary Collins's full review
Kari Docekal profile photo

Alternatives Considered

BigCommerce is similar to Magento in many ways. I believe it really stands out because it is a more visual application. Magento looks very much like a plain old database and it takes some digging to find the features you need within the program. BigCommerce give you a more visual display of what you are working on, making it more pleasant and user friendly in my opinion.
Read Kari Docekal's full review
Joyce Counts profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Big Commerce was easy to set up and met almost every one of my needs. I never got to the point with the others that I could find out about support or fees or blogs, because there was always something either difficult or missing for me to create a custom carved sign website.
Read Joyce Counts's full review
Stephen Steinberg profile photo

Alternatives Considered

BigCommerce offers so much more features and capabilities out-of-the-box than all the other options combined. Sure the other options have a large marketplace of apps and add-ons, but things tends to break when a platform relies on their 3rd party apps to provide basic functionality. We much prefer BigCommerce's business model of building features directly into their own platform and continually improving and innovating.
Read Stephen Steinberg's full review
Candi McDonough profile photo

Alternatives Considered

BigCommerce is so much easier to use than Magento or Drupal. We have another website I'm managing through a recent acquisition that uses Magento and Drupal. It is so complex and difficult to navigate that I need a developer to help me create the product pages. I am not a developer and find it very easy to use BigCommerce.
Read Candi McDonough's full review
John Jensen profile photo
November 06, 2019

Trust BigCommerce

Alternatives Considered

We were looking for a web host which was able to provide scalable options with minimal cost for upgrades and add ons. Some of the add on web templates can be quite expensive. It would be nice if you have more free templates or had the ability to due test drive or sample a new template.
Read John Jensen's full review
David Fitzpatrick profile photo

Alternatives Considered

While Shopify seems to be more popular I can't understand why. It's nowhere near as intuitive and most things seem to be optional extras that BigCommerce has as standard. I found myself searching YouTube how-to videos for Shopify where it's just easy to figure out myself on BigCommerce due to its easy layout and intuitive design.
Read David Fitzpatrick's full review
Krisstina Hawks profile photo

Alternatives Considered

Squarespace did not have the ability to host our entire product line with all the necessary variations and options. As such, we had to go with a platform that could grow with us. BigCommerce did just that. It was easy to integrate, has been easy to use, and we are happy with our decision.
Read Krisstina Hawks's full review
Libby Herbert profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I have used Shopify before but felt their interface wasn't as clean as BigCommerce and I also like the fact BigCommerce doesn't charge a cart fee percentage on each transaction, this was one of the major factors to why I didn't use Shopify for this business and tried BigCommerce and I'm so glad I did.
Read Libby Herbert's full review
Sandra Bell profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I am pretty sure that when Prostores closed they recommended you as a good replacement (among other people). At that time price and how easy the transition was going to be were my chief concerns. So you won that battle. I will say that I have not regretted the decision with one exception, when you took my Google feed away. Now I pay someone to do my Google feed and it is an extra expense. I make changes often on my products and therefore an everyday feed is very important to me. Big Commerce "free replacements" did not offer that.
Read Sandra Bell's full review
Myles Fleming profile photo

Alternatives Considered

I have managed to build 2 large websites on BigCommerce and it is fast and reliable. Have managed builds on Magento as well as small website projects on Wix, GoDaddy and Shopify and they all have their pros and cons. This is an ever-changing space and it really comes down to what you want to achieve and finding the best partners to achieve it.
Read Myles Fleming's full review

Product catalog & listings (271)
Product management (268)
Bulk product upload (205)
Branding (239)
Mobile storefront (264)
Product variations (259)
Website integration (228)
Visual customization (265)
CMS (188)
Abandoned cart recovery (240)
Checkout user experience (262)
eCommerce security (262)
9.7
Promotions & discounts (251)
Personalized recommendations (204)
Inventory management (222)
Shipping (227)
Custom functionality (228)

About BigCommerce

According to the vendor, BigCommerce is one of the leading cloud ecommerce platforms for established and rapidly-growing businesses. Combining enterprise functionality, an open architecture and app ecosystem, and market-leading performance, BigCommerce aims to help businesses to grow online sales with less cost, time, and complexity than on-premise software. BigCommerce powers B2B and B2C ecommerce for more than 60,000 brands, 2,000+ mid-market businesses, 30 Fortune 1000 companies, and industry-leading brands, including Assurant, Ben & Jerry’s, Paul Mitchell, Skullcandy, Sony, and Toyota.

The vendor says that the product provides the following benefits to customers:

Customize and innovate at a lower total cost of ownership
Build in HTML, CSS, and Javascript
96% of brands relaunch in 2-4 months
Test and push changes without downtime in a local environment

Focus on generating sales, less on monitoring security & performance
PCI DSS 3.2 certified at Level 1
99.99% median uptime
Multiple layers of security through the Google Cloud Platform

Leverage your existing tech stack with flexible APIs
90% of platform data is exposed to APIs
400+ API calls per second
Headless commerce out-of-the-box, across any front-end

Solve your toughest challenges with SaaS
B2B, Wholesale