Bitly Reviews

Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Since recognizing that Bitly is not accepted on all social media sites I tried to look for an alternative, specifically just for those platforms and was only able to find a tool called Pretty links that offered similar features that worked for what I needed.

Both Pretty Links and Bitly help with tracking and shortening URLs. The great thing about Pretty Links is that you are able to customize your links using your very own business domain via a WordPress website.

One of the key reasons I continue to use Bitly a lot more than Pretty Links is due to Bitly having a mobile app version. This way I am able to work on the go and not be restricted to only being able to shorten links via my laptop or desktop.
Read Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc's full review
Mark Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

I use Hootsuite for scheduling social media posts, but it also offers a link shortener, which serves the same purpose as Bitly but with additional features like scheduling posts and monitoring your brand. If you're looking for something a bit more complex than Bitly, I would recommend Hootsuite as a great alternative.
Read Mark Anderson's full review
Jim Nelson | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Long ago we used tinyurl.com to create all our short links. The service is rudimentary at best. We immediately switched to Bitly once we discovered the many features it has to offer. We were most excited to switch upon discovering we could assign our own branded short links using Bitly.
Read Jim Nelson's full review
Ben Caplan | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

We looked at other platforms such as Google link shortener, but then they discontinued that. We haven't looked at alternatives in a little while because we have found good success and are comfortable with the platform that Bitly offers.
Read Ben Caplan's full review
Debbie Gillum | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

It's the easiest tool to use, it is free, and it has the most capabilities. I like how it tracks the link's performance among campaigns. You can customize the link and make it easier for your audience to type in and remember. Bitly is well designed and easy to use without much training.
Read Debbie Gillum's full review

Alternatives Considered

Bitly overall is a simple tool to use to generate short links. Google had the goo.gl URL shortener, but it is no longer available. I do hate that Bitly requires premium in order to modify the URL. This would be good for presentations at conferences that are shared to make the name/link connect to me.
Stefanie Cash | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Bitly is more effective at shortening and tracking links. Also since Bitly is so common, people are less hesitant to click on a Bitly short link as opposed to other short links. Bitly has a really easy to look at management system of all your short links. You're able to use Bitly to make decisions on campaigns because of that.
Read Stefanie Cash's full review
Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer

Alternatives Considered

Actually there are not many programs that we can compare to Bitly. I consider that Google Shortner used to be the only one that could make a face to face compression with Bitly. Beetle he has many more features to offer.
Read Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA's full review
Sarah Burek | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 30, 2016

Does size matter?

Alternatives Considered

Both options are free, and get the job done, but they do not provide a good overview of the link's performance. Also, these two alternative options do not provide an organized way to retrieve or view previously shortened links, which can require more effort, or simply making a brand new URL which affects click through rates.
Read Sarah Burek's full review

Alternatives Considered

I used to use tinyURL - they had no analytics, and no customization options. Also, the link generated after the / was longer and took up more room. Bit.ly is better than Hootsuite's OW.LY because it's free. :)

Alternatives Considered

I use both Hootsuite and Bit.ly. They worked well together, and one didn't eliminate the need for the other, however I'd prefer if they merged and shared functionality. But using them both seperately seemed to be all that I needed.
TinyURL I haven't really used since trying it, mainly because it is easier to stick to one platform, but also because Bit.ly had more functionality when I was picking what platform to use.

About Bitly

Bitly (Bit.ly) is one of the most popular link shortening tools. The vendor says it shortens 1 billion links per month. The company is privately held, based in New York City, and was founded in 2008.