Bitly Reviews

Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Bitly is known by many as a web tool to help shorten long and very unattractive URLs. For us, we use Bitly for that and so much more as it's a very unrated tool with a lot of special features. Some of the other features I love about using Bitly is the ability to customize the URL so that it's easier for clients to remember as well as being able to track click rates and gather insights and analytics.
Read Ayo Bamgbose, Assoc CIPD, MSc's full review
Ben Caplan profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

At my current organization, we use Bitly to shorten links so we can drill down on the success of our marketing and advertising efforts to see which is the best and most successful. We include shortened links in our communications with customers so we can determine if they are clicking through to the proposal/file/etc. This program allows us to track the success of our efforts whereas before it was just a guess.
Read Ben Caplan's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I have shared Bitly with my teachers as a way to share documents or online resources with others. I use Bitly any time I have an online presentation deck or document that I'd like to share because of its simplicity. It makes memorizing a long URL a lot easier.
Debbie Gillum profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use Bitly to shorten links for social media or other marketing purposes. It turns a really long and hard to type or hard to remember hyperlink into a hyperlink that is easy to remember and easy to type. It's being used just within the Marketing department right now. It addresses the business problem of some links being difficult to communicate.
Read Debbie Gillum's full review
Justin Germino profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use Bit.ly to shrink a lot of links to client websites, brands and even affiliate links like Amazon and others. Anytime you need to shorten a link, customize the link URI slug and need to keep track of outbound clicks and analytics, I use Bit.ly. It has the easiest tracking system compared to other URL shortener services.
Read Justin Germino's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Bitly is a great tool to shorten affiliate links for use on social media. It’s one of the best link shorteners for eBay because it shows up as eBay.to and not as a Bitly. It stores all links and allows even free users to see the link status, which is a fantastic analytical tool.
Jessica Meadows Rich profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The marketing team has been using Bitly as a link shortener for use within social media posts for years. We did switch for a time to Google Shortener for awhile but with Google Shortener being discontinued, we've moved back to Bitly. Originally we probably used it to get around Twitter's character limit, although that's no longer relevant. However, being able to also track clicks and measure campaign performance later became more important. Also, there are a number of times when you need to share a link "offline" and being able to shorten a long link into a customized Bitly link that someone could remember is helpful.
Read Jessica Meadows Rich's full review
Stefanie Cash profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The Marketing Department using Bitly for shortening links on social media. Bitly is also used for tracking those shortening links. Since Google got rid of their URL shortener, Bitly filled the gap. Bitly is easy to and manage for tracking all links the department distributes on social media. Bitly also allows you to see where conversions take place by process of elimination.
Read Stefanie Cash's full review
Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Bitly is mainly used by the marketing department for social media, specifically. It helps us to measure the amount of clicks our posts or links receive. Bitly also gives some good statistics which is very helpful for the reports.
Read Alejandro Matheu, MD, MBA's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use Bitly to quickly shrink and customize long URL's, as well as to get data on clicks to these links. This is used primarily by the social media team to accompany posts on specific social media platforms but is also used when sending internal email messages in addition to this.
December 13, 2017

Easy and powerful

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

My team and I mostly use Bitly to shorten and customize URLs to use in reports to clients where a "hot link" would not work or when we are not confident our clients will click on the link. I am sure there are some employees in the marketing department too but it's not widely used within our office.
Tina DeAngelis profile photo
December 06, 2017

Awesome Product!

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

We use bitly when advertising on social media to shorten urls. They are easy to use and they make a post readable. The dashboard provides great data about click rates and when the person clicks. I highly recommend this product.
Read Tina DeAngelis's full review
Holland Pintarch profile photo
April 04, 2016

Review - HP

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Currently, I'm the marketplace manager for a startup called Growth Geeks. I just came on board a couple of months ago, and we aren't using Bitly as of right now. However, I plan on speaking with the team to begin implementing it for when we post links to our Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook accounts (we post links almost daily to articles) - I also plan on seeing if they would like the enterprise level, but at the very least hoping they will be on board with the regular professional version.

Previous to this position, I was a freelance marketing and communications specialist for over a year. I managed roughly 4-8 clients at a time and was working full time hours - many of these clients were tech startups, some were retail sales, and some were actually advertising agencies themselves. For all of my clients, I was managing their social media accounts and/or consulting with their internal marketing teams to guide them on best social practices for their specific industry and business. When I was managing social media accounts for clients, I always used Bitly's services (sometimes the free version if their exec team didn't want to spend money on the professional version). Using Bitly helped me greatly provide analytics and demonstrate my ROI in their social media efforts (which is extremely important as a freelancer).

Apart from social media, I would use Bitly to post links to the client's website or blog on various forums. This helped me learn which forums were helpful to provide clicks on these links for a particular client, as well as which forums were not worth my time posting on. I also used Bitly in email marketing campaigns and on WordPress blog articles. Having solid data from Bitly analytics helped me provide value to my services, speak with management in very tangible ways they could understand, and helped secure future work with clients.

Also, I worked at a company called CJ Pony Parts as their Social Media Specialist. Twice a month I had a meeting with top management to go over my overall social media strategy, as well as particular campaigns. Using Bitly's analytics and link tracking, I was able to enter this meeting with clarity and hard data for my supervisors to understand ROI on social media. I was also the primary author for the CJ Pony Parts blog, so promoting my articles was particularly important to me and I used Bitly to tweet links and post on Facebook, and I was able to see exactly how many people were checking out my articles via social posts.

Read Holland Pintarch's full review
Corinne Aherne profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

In a social media capacity we use Bitly to shorten links so that we don't take up character space in our posts. Especially on Twitter, characters are at a premium, so being able to use Bitly to make our URLs the smallest number of characters possible allows us to deliver better messaging to our audience. Our entire marketing team also uses Bitly to shorten links for email blasts and other marketing materials. Bitly allows us to create more aesthetically pleasing content by eliminating long, cumbersome URLs. We also have opted to use a branded Bitly link, which further ties in our brand to everything we're doing.
Read Corinne Aherne's full review
Nathan Tessler profile photo

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I use Bitly as part of our email marketing through Bronto. The URLs that we try to implement in our XML product data coding for Bronto require the use of shortened links in order to work, so I chose to use Bitly. I like how Bitly tracks the clicks on each Bitly link, but we will primarily be using the resources within Bronto for any necessary data analysis.
Read Nathan Tessler's full review
Sarah Burek profile photo
March 30, 2016

Does size matter?

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Bitly was used by my department for our social media posts. It's a great tool and simple to use. We share a lot of blogs that have very lengthy URLs so we needed a tool that would allow us to shorten it to meet Twitter's character limit.
Read Sarah Burek's full review

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

Currently I use bit.ly to track clicks and in-bound marketing leads for a few freelance jobs I'm leading. One is to track clicks to a website that is selling books (directly from author) - another is my wife's business (small clothing company, Etsy store), and for a music streaming company that hasn't launched yet -- to generate more names for our email listserv. I used it to show click trends over time and to review referrers.

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

I had previously used bit.ly in my job as editorial assistant at a weekly newspaper, to both shorten links for social media and to track the popularity of stories and their sources. It's intuitive and clean interface made it easy to use, and now in my own personal and freelance writing, I still use it for the same purpose.

It wasn't being used by my whole organization, but everyone in my department implemented it on my direction, and they were all happy with it. When new employees filled the roles, they continued using the service, in concert with Hootsuite, which planned posts.
March 25, 2016

Bit.ly = Good data

Use Cases and Deployment Scope

The Marketing/Communications Department uses Bit.ly as we manage all web and digital media. It's more aesthetically pleasing and it allows us to track user behavior and source traffic to pages.

About Bitly

Bitly (Bit.ly) is one of the most popular link shortening tools. The vendor says it shortens 1 billion links per month. The company is privately held, based in New York City, and was founded in 2008.