Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Blackboard Collaborate, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
- Tech Details
Blackboard Collaborate is an online, collaborative learning platform well-suited for the education industry and corporate learning needs. It includes features such as screen and application sharing, web conferencing, and integration with Blackboard Learn to provide a complete learning management system (LMS).
Blackboard Collaborate offers a browser-based web conferencing tool to facilitate interaction between instructors and students. It has a classroom chat feature that offers a messaging platform for students to share images, text, audio, and video. It also supports live captioning to meet the accessibility needs for deaf and hard of hearing students with its Blackboard Live Closed Captioning Service feature.
Its interactive Whiteboard feature is used for conducting presentations using PowerPoint slides for engaging multiple participants with a single presentation. However, Whiteboard content can be added or edited directly from Blackboard Collaborate without opening PowerPoint. And despite being browser-based, Blackboard Collaborate does offer some features through its Blackboard Collaborate ™ Mobile app.
|Deployment Types||Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
Blackboard Learn by Anthology
Class for Zoom
Google Workspace for Education
Newrow, from Kaltura
- Improved communication.
- Urged us into looking for collaborative platforms with participation history for accountability purposes.
- Provided a digital meeting space.
- Easy to set up a video-call meeting
- Provides a good way for Professors and Students to communicate with each other
- Increased support for online/hybrid learning.
- Increased support for online training & professional development.
- Increased support for technical support.
- Increased virtual office hours for student courses & learning.
- Increased recording views for training & meetings.
- ROI is high, as most of the teachers are using same credential for class
- Reduced costs- no need to purchase extra conferencing software
- Efficiency- one platform for everything
- Improved value- allowed classes to meet online live when we couldn’t in person
- Allowed swift transition to online instruction when COVID-19 hit.
- A bit of a learning curve for both instructors and students.
- The ability to record/playback sessions is very good.
- It is not worth the money.
- Over years they are more and more falling behind.
- If you used Blackboard before might be easy, but there are far more better tools.
- Able to broadcast classes to remote areas of the state.
- We are able to have meetings across our campuses without traveling to the home campus.
- Students are more successful in the classrooms because they can review recorded live lectures.
- Positive in that its easy to use and integrates with our LMS well
- Negative in that it is more expensive than competitors
- Our implementation has been gradual over the last 2 semesters. Students who have used it to access live academic support despite being unable to drive in for face to face sessions have been extremely happy. It is gradually boosting student morale for offsite students, who have long felt they were unable to access services that were paid through fees with their tuition.
- Multiple support services who have wanted to provide online support but were unsure how they could are more empowered to do so now. The current mood is "what else can we offer online through this, workshops, advising, live broadcast of student org meetings"?
- We've been better able to engage students in their learning opportunities
- We can host reviews, allowing students to prepare better for exams, and thus boosting test scores
- We can get to know our online students in a personal way
- Collaborate Ultra has been the most effective for us for training faculty virtually.
- Faculty have been excited that they can have a remote guest speaker in their classroom, and all they need to do for set up is to e-mail that guest speaker a link to join the session.
- Collaborate Ultra is beyond useful for faculty to meet with online students who are either across the country, or even in other countries, with tools that really help to focus on course work.
- Without Blackboard Collaborate, we would not be able to tutor remotely with our students.
- Blackboard Collaborate has a positive ROI due to its availability in different mediums and ease of use for many different users.
- The program has allowed enhanced communications between teachers and students so that students can get real time tutoring and not rely on back and forth emails.
- The program gives teachers a platform to come together and participate in professional development activities together and ask questions/make suggestions in real time.
- Has created an "office" like atmosphere online to help simulate a brick and mortar classroom teacher office where students can feel comfortable communicating with teachers about their concerns.
- Collaborate is not an inexpensive tool. However, integration into the Blackboard environment is excellent. If you are already a Blackboard school it is easier to integrate and use than other solutions. So, you may save money and time on learning a totally new environment and you will be more familiar with getting support from Blackboard. As a side note, Blackboard provides really good training documentation for Collaborate.
- Makes it easy for students with unusual schedules, or in other locations to participate.
- Recording classes is very helpful should the student have to miss classes or if someone has to miss a meeting but wants to catch up.
- Helps keep people up to date and is well known so most people have used it in some capacity before.
- I used it as a student. I would assume it boosts grades and keeps students interested.
- Increased communication between employees in different areas.
- Adoption rates have been low so ROI isn't what it could be. However, in our case, this is due to a lack of training about and on the product.
- Allows for increased participation across the organization by eliminating the need to travel.
- Opens communication to outside resources.
- It's definitely allowed us to gain customers by being able to demo our courses and talk through them.
- Though we have not been faced with an emergency yet, the return on investment we hope will be if we ever for some reason need to hold all classes online, for example in the case of natural disaster. We envision an ability to incorporate all classes into our LMS and get instructors to then activate Blackboard Collaborate to hold class times.
- Great student interface.
- Ease of communication with students.
- Enhanced course participation.
- Employee efficiency.
- Office Hours – Allows the college to maintain its model of minimizing physical space needs for our huge adjunct base.
- Attracting Higher Quality Speakers - One faculty member estimated a potential savings of $3,000-$4,000 by inviting guest experts in his field to his class via Collaborate. Being able to bring these rich learning opportunities to a classroom is invaluable to the learning process.