In October 2020, BlackLine acquired Rimilia, an...
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of BlackLine, and make your voice heard!
- Tech Details
In October 2020, BlackLine acquired Rimilia, an AR automation solution. Rimilia's capabilities are now part of the BlackLine platform.
HighRadius Autonomous Receivables
Oracle Cloud EPM
SAP BPC (Business Planning and Consolidation)
IBM Cognos Controller
Redwood Finance Automation
Adra Financial Close Management Suite
- User-friendly UI
- Web login to connect anywhere, anytime
- While UI is nice, it can be improved upon
- Variance Analysis needs a revamp
- More automation options
- Listens to customer feedback to make an improved product.
- Open to companies challenging the status quo and finding solutions that may not have been thought of before.
- Working with cutting edge companies to come up with new products and solutions.
- Early functionality for Oracle users - a lot of the new products are only for use by SAP users.
- Access to API data to improve the reporting of data out of BlackLine.
- Ability to create reports in BlackLine across data sources.
- Ability to email reports out of BlackLine (either ad-hoc or scheduled reports) as opposed to the current process of having the user access BlackLine to retrieve the report.
- I like that I have the option to keep specific support documents from month to month without having to upload them every month.
- I like that I can copy or clone previous months' reconciliations and update the necessary changes instead of rebuilding them.
- It's just a great layout. You can view all recons and tasks in one window.
- The section where my organization keeps the list of Tasks has a lot of columns that are not needed. It would be great if I could re-organize the columns, so I don't have to keep scrolling right to left to find the info I need.
- Quick Customer Service Response Time
- User-Friendly and easy to follow interface
- Ability to see historical financial information
- Custom Features per Users needs
- Grouping Accounts when importing monthly GL balances can be kind of confusing
- More Published Troubleshooting Documents
- Organizes work
- Provides filters for work to navigate
- Allows us to see coworkers work as well
- Sometimes the filter order doesn't stay for future logins
- Sometimes the filters can't find very small information within journal
- Wish there was a dark mode
- Show the account balance
- Show the account owner
- Group those account in same use
- Search engine
- Dashboard display
- Report run
- Facilitates account reconciliation easily
- Digitally stores data that is accessible from any computer
- Customer support is excellent
- Task Management is a bit clunky
- Grouping journals (when using BlackLine as passive technology) is not really possible (i.e. when journals are initiated in SAP).
- Full audit trail still missing
- Creating new timeperiods must be done manually
- Matching for a prior period that has not closed yet
- Automation on matched transactions
- Personalizing the outlook of the software
- Easy setting on the reports view and verification
- The default view will need to be chosen every time after the page is refreshed
- Time out after no activity for only a few minutes
- Reconciliation tool
- Matching tool
- Would like to know more of upcoming to Reconciliation product.
- Data integration
- Automation & controls
- Ease of use
- Consistency in the UI across the products
- Latency challenges
- Data imports missing key elements
- Saving time! Our manual process became automated the minute we "turned on" Blackline!
- Focus! By saving time using Blackline, our employees are able to focus on other job responsibilities and profit-generation
- Support! Blackline's support throughout our implementation and post-implementation has been exceptional. We always receive timely responses and get answers fast, when needed
- User Friendly! Their system is very easy to navigate. Even individuals in our organization that don't like or embrace change said the transition to Blackline was smooth and painless
- Industry Focus - There may be an opportunity for certain customers to have specific features available to them based on the industry they are in
- Implementation Leaders for Industries - When a new customer is onboarded, they should try to assign project managers that have implemented other customers in the same industry
- Admin Roles - consider SOX 404 rules and segregation of duties to offer other type of admin roles where various people in organizations can do specific things but not others (utilize current customer to learn what is needed)
- Easy to use.
- Simple to review individual and team data.
- Flexible setup options.
- Better attention to user concerns.
- More detailed troubleshooting documents.
- Ease of customization
- Quality of support
- Timeliness of support
- Canned reporting isn't as useful as it could be in my opinion.
- Data Source creation process is clunky
- Sometimes updates will "break" things that were already working.
- Monthly and Quarterly Task Management
- User-Friendly Dashboard
- Product Support
- Unable to move journal entry lines
- Would like to add lines at different places in the entries
- Journal Entries-everything is right there at your fingertips. As an approver/certifier, you have the details to the entry and you can automatically see that the journal entry balances.
- Reconciliations-just like journal entries, everything is at the approver/certifier's fingertips. Support is available and you can immediately look to see if the reconciliation balances or if there is a variance because it pulls the GL balance for you.
- Flexibility-each property has the flexibility to set up what reconciliations they find to be more critical for review, whether that is monthly or quarterly. You can set up what level you want each reconciliation to be approved, manager or executive level. These are just two that I find very helpful.
- In the master journal entries, it would be nice if you could insert a line without having to rekey the entire entry over again.
- Before I would have said the "to-do list" needed improvements, but now it is so easy to tell what I need to look at instead of searching each section for items.
- It would be great if the "certify - next" worked on all reviews
- acts as single source for audit trails
- makes tracking status of outstanding items (tasks or recons) easy
- gets rid of Excel sheets for prepaids and amortizable items
- allows for the grouping of accounts as you need them beyond how your chart of charts has them grouped
- their dashboards are a bit less than ideal
- if you have many amortizable items in your recon looking up a specific one is not easy
- also it is difficult to edit an amortizable item once it has been uploaded
- Grouping of accounts
- Journal Entry automation
- Variance Analysis
- Link to other accounting softwares.
- BlackLine keeps all information in one convenient location, the account reconciliation, and backup is very easy to go back and look at.
- It is available from nearly anywhere and we use it across our companies, which creates consistency between all of our companies.
- BlackLine is very user-friendly. The training was great at implementation and updates are made that help make the software easier to use.
- There are many updates to the software, which can make it hard to keep up with. However, the Customer service response seems great and is always able to help.
- The layout of journal entries is well set up, but there are many lines that are not necessary to fill in.
- The software is customized to fit the company but there is not a lot of customization for each user.
- Bank reconciliations
- Balance sheet account reconciliations
- Automatic matching function within bank reconciliations
- Multi-currency functionality
- Tracking tasks
- Maintaining documents with reconciliations
- Calculating variances for explanations
- Adding lines anywhere in a journal entry
- Rearranging lines on a journal entry
- Setting default layouts where they show up everytime
- BlackLine is very responsive and helpful when we have an issue.
- BlackLine truly values our input and listens to our suggestions for changes.
- BlackLine is very user friendly and easy to follow and find things you are looking for.
- I wish we could insert a line into the middle of a journal entry that has been keyed instead of only being allowed to enter it at the bottom.
- Similar to the above, I would like to be able to "move" a line in a journal entry up or down.
- The "default" view does not default when I go into the different features - I have to change it to default each time.
- Provides a reliable and easy-to-use matching engine.
- Implements a task system that makes managing tasks very easy.
- Their account grouping system makes it very easy to group together accounts that go together.
- Sometimes the matching engine can match the wrong transactions with each other.
- Manually certifying a lot of journals at once can be time-consuming, so some kind of auto-certification option would be helpful.
- When selecting options on a menu with multiple pages, sometimes it unselects things you've selected on previous pages.
- Monthly Reporting
- Task Tracking and Email Reminders
- Ease of Use
- User Interface Display
- Audit and Historical Tracking Reporting
- Provides single location to see status of all work.
- Workflow routing
- Auto certification of recons within established parameters
- Variances will not provide a variance amount if beginning balance is zero.