- Website integration for online donations is awesome! It makes it so much easier to raise money online. We've tripled the amount of money we raise online, mainly because of this and the ability to send emails through the system.
- Emails are tracked directly in a donor's record, so we can see instantly their engagement with our content.
- Integration with DonorSearch is awesome and seems to be improving often.
- They listen to their customers' needs. If enough customers request a feature, they'll get it for us. We feel like the development of this software is always happening and it's a partnership, rather than a transaction.
- Imports aren't as user-friendly as we'd like, but we can manage.
- Bloomerang can generate reports that are incredibly specific with the "and" "or" buttons. I recently created reports of holiday giving received before a particular email went to all constituents and then after that email was sent. This allowed us to consider how effective the email was.
- Tracking who opens emails, who clicks on certain links and who visits our website has helped us to fine tune our emails.
- It may be that Bloomerang has a way of doing this and I haven't taken the time to figure it our or visit with support, but I am finding the increasing number of letter and email templates harder to navigate through.
- I wish Bloomerang would remember the most recent email, letter or report that I worked on like it does for constituent. I'd also like the history to stay even after I log out instead of clearing it each time.
- Bloomerang is great at generating letters and addresses.
- I love the "note" function to add communications and updates to a donor's file so that others can see an interaction, address change, phone call, etc.
- I recently learned how to create end-of-year letters and reports, which saved a tremendous amount of time.
- Reporting functions for various development needs.
- I would love to see the "head of household" not default to the male. At my organization, the female is often the one passionate about our cause, so it is a pain to go in and keep changing the way the system defaults.
- The letters download as a PDF so changes are not able to be made in one or two letters before printing without taking more time than just editing the individual letter on the constituent's account.
- Bloomerang is very intuitive and user-friendly, even for staff and volunteers that are not technologically oriented or experienced.
- Bloomerang is built on the concept that donor retention is key with a dashboard that shows donor's love (on fire to cold) for each constituent, making for a very quick survey of current relationship status.
- Bloomerang has a fabulous tech and user support staff making it easy to reach out with questions. We have never had to wait for someone from Bloomerang support to chat online!
- Bloomerang incorporates online giving and event registration seamlessly.
- Bloomerang can export to QuickBooks easily.
- Event registration could be improved by adding the ability to select more than one item in a transaction. This would allow for a single transaction to include multiple types of registrations and/or sponsorships.
- Adding the capacity to "undo" a data import would reduce anxiety around adding data en mass.
- Additional standard reports would be helpful for those without deep experience with donor database usage.
- Tracking donor relationships (love the timeline view).
- Tracking various campaigns (dashboard view and graphics are great).
- Reports (so many options to build reports and share your data...data is key!).
- Letter and email generation.
- Linkage to our website (online giving!).
- Having access for volunteers for our bi-annual fundraisers (when we provide user access it's not able to be limited to certain screens, they have access to view all data).
- Sometimes the Household icon is not ideal when pulling data, would rather have an option to not use Household icon.
- It would be really nice to have an auto address verification to recognize incorrect addresses.
- New contact entries are a snap. It literally takes about 2 minutes to train someone on how to enter a new contact into the system.
- Entering donations is also a very easy process and super easy to train someone on how to do it.
- The dashboard is useful and gives a nice rundown of current donations.
- Processing credit cards within the system is also very easy, however we still use Paypal for non-profits to process donations that come in over the phone due to the cheaper rate.
- The process of entering new tributes (In Memory of/In Honor of) could be much more streamlined.
- As with most of these donor management softwares that I've used, the Thank You letters could be more functional. I usually export the information that I need into an Excel file and do a mail merge with a Word doc.
- The event module has been useless for us. I've tried to set it up a couple times so people could buy tickets to events, but it's not super-flexible or user friendly.
- It's frustrating that if you're going to use it for your online giving form, you have to have a description next to each amount. For example: "$25 - This will buy meals for a local senior for a week" or something to that effect. You can't make a form with just the dollar amounts. Therefore we're using QGiv as our online donation form.
If you're looking for a all-in-one solution that you can use for events, online giving forms, etc. you might want to shop around a bit. I find that this is where this software is lacking a bit. Even though we have these modules available through Bloomerang, I still find myself choosing other options like Brownpapertickets, Paypal and Qgiv over the built in module.
- The migration of data from another software was very easy. All we needed to do was map the existing fields and we were able to create custom fields to accommodate specific needs of the clients.
- The dashboards and reports are excellent tools for management to make decisions about fundraising efforts.
- The complete records for each constituent and the ability to connect constituents to one another and to corporate donors enables my clients to reach our in specific campaigns that are tailored to move a group of donors.
- The ability to connect to the database from off site is valuable when working in the field.
- Some of the searches did not bring up the expected results. It would be good to see the logic be a little more "fuzzy".
- More pre-set reports would be helpful for small organizations who do not understand the logic behind how to get the results they are seeking.
- An ability to just page through donor records would be nice. Sometimes you just want to browse the data to get inspired.
- The Dashboard is a nice feature for getting an overview when you log on.
- The Summary feature which shows a snapshot of the status of a constituent is also a plus.
- The workshops informative and online training support is also helpful.
- I think the thing I find most frustrating is that you can't do batch posting of gifts. For example, if you have 30 sponsors for your 5K run or I have a list of 150 people who attended an event and just want to post a note to their record, you must post each individually rather than being able to predetermine the parameters which are shared by all. After contacting support to find a solution, I was told that I would have to build an import which would have very strict parameters that would have to be vetted by the Bloomerang team. While I am glad that they are there to help, it is a very time consuming process and we purchased Bloomerang to make these tasks less complicated and time consuming.
- Working with the letter templates is really cumbersome. Bloomerang assumes you are printing letters onto printed letterhead. While there are some fairly primitive tools for formatting, you cannot control the margins and end-up doing a lot of time consuming adjusting so that a letter looks right.
- The report generator is very confusing. For example, if you set a parameter to exclude soft credits, the report still contains soft credits. You cannot edit the report within Bloomerang, you must export to Excel. As a result, when you do want to run a batch of thank you letters, you end up with letters you don't want, formatting you don't want and no way to edit the letters since they are generated and downloaded as one long document.
- When we purchased Bloomerang and Firespring (website), we were under the distinct impression from the marketing by both entities that their collaboration produced integration between the database and the website. For example, if a constituent makes a donation or registers for an event through the website, we could be able to have it track as an interaction on the database. Apparently that is not the case and getting that info into the data is complicated, awkward and time-consuming.
- Custom fields: you can easily tailor it to your exact circumstances rather than using one field for a different piece of information because it doesn't fit anywhere else.
- Intuitive cloud based application that is easy to navigate: very quick learning curve, no need for expensive consultants or support agreements.
- Transition and support: smaller organization that genuinely cares about its customers.
- Designed for fundraising: has several tools that focus on donor retention which is a key goal of all fundraisers.
- User restrictions: they currently don't allow different access levels. I can't let my board members in as "look only" users or restrict information access. they are currently working on this, but right now it's "all or nothing."
- It doesn't have a dedicated events module.
- Bloomerang has greatly improved our online giving platform. It integrates seemlessly with Stripe for credit card processing, and forms look great embedded on our site. We use Bloomerang for general online donations as well as online registration for events.
- Bloomerang email communications are good looking and easily branded. Bloomerang also makes it easy to track our open rates and click rates for each email we send.
- Bloomerang makes it easy for us to track our communications with individual donors by providing a way to note interactions of different types as well as make personal notes in a donor's record.
- Bloomerang's timeline feature makes it very easy to look in a donor's reocrd and understand their history with our organization in a matter of seconds.
- The reporting function in Bloomerang can be somewhat difficult to use. The reports are run by constituent, interaction, or transaction, which makes it hard to pull information across modules into one report. Bloomerang's improvements to reporting have been huge over the last year, but there's still a ways to go to make it a little more intuitive and user-friendly.
- The relationship feature in Bloomerang is somewhat clunky. You can see relationships for an individual donor, but you can't pull reports by relationships. It also takes a long time to set up households and leaves room for inconsistent data entry if more than one person controls the database.
- Customer service around added services (such as Prospect View) is slow and unresponsive. Bloomerang should develop partnerships with effective and professional donor prospecting and donor research companies to help nonprofit clients.
- Cloud-based system. I can access my donor database from anywhere on the planet from my laptop or phone.
- The built in Ahern audit guides you in making sure you are staying donor-focused and using appropriate grade level.
- Custom fields allow me to build reports that are specific to our organization and donors.
- Dashboard with current overview of donor retention rate, campaign progress, and tasks keep me focused on moving my organization forward.
- I would love to see the ability to automatically generate reports for specific things.
- Autosave on email and letter editing functions.
- Email reminders for tasks.
- The reporting interface is very clean and intuitive. By the far the best and easiest I've used.
- The engagement index is helpful, along with the donor retention meter. Just as constant reminders.
- The overall record interface is clean, easy to read and easy on the eyes.
- The email builder is very limited. More and more users are going outside Bloomerang to build emails, and that's not particularly helpful since there's the tie to the donor record is then lost.
- Until recently, the inability to edit letters created in batches was a BIG miss. Took WAY too long to start fixing that one.
- User-friendly: Bloomerang is set up to be extremely user-friendly. Learning to input data, manage records, and run reports is intuitive and does not require a steep learning curve. This means that our small team was able to get up and running on the platform quickly.
- Powerful reporting: We use the reporting feature to segment our constituent list to better tailor communications, 1:1 outreach, and follow-up.
- Donor Appreciation: Bloomerang is founded on the premise that thanking donors is the cornerstone of effective fundraising for nonprofits. The system is built in such a way as to make donor appreciation easy, timely, and authentic.
- Limited options for bulk updates: The import feature is currently the only option for making bulk updates to records. This adds an additional layer of difficulty for users and in our experience increases the possibility of error in making updates to records.
The platform would be less well-suited for organizations managing a large amount of data or who need the system to seamlessly integrate with accounting, email, and/or billing software.
- The customer support is amazing. The live chat is so helpful and my entire organization has benefited from taking the classes.
- I work for a small organization and it is crucial that everyone on the team be able to use the database, Bloomerang is so easy to use that it was an easy transition for all of our staff.
- Bloomerang has built in features that help us to identify ways to help increase donor retention.
- Bloomerang did have a very hard time converting our data from the old database.
- When generating letters, they cannot be edited, which can be frustrating.
- When querying data for reports, it could be easier. I would love to be able to query by any category in any report. For example, I would love to be able to change use both constituent and donor data.
- Correspondence is saved under constituents' accounts which is so helpful for recordkeeping.
- Data uploads are a breeze! Love this feature. It is pretty foolproof.
- The chat feature is great and the people are so kind and point you in the right direction.
- I wish I could split credit card charges into different funds. As it is right now, you have to ask Bloomerang to unlock the transactions. Which they do willingly. We often times have donors wanting to make one charge for multiple things.
- It seems like 50% of the time when someone from our database makes an online donation, a new constituent account is made. It is easy enough to merge, but I have to be more on the lookout for multiple accounts.
- Would love a fundraiser/auction compatible option. Still have to use another software for this aspect of our development.
- The reports are comprehensive, very customizable, yet easy to use and read.
- Bloomerang allows you to assess which people are most loyal to your organization and those that require more stewardship.
- The staff at Bloomerang encourage input and suggestions for improvement, and there is a process in place to address all customer concerns and to make system improvements to continually improve the system.
- Constituent profiles resemble a Facebook timeline, making it easy to see highlights at a glance without having to analyze a spreadsheet.
- The system tracks your donor retention. Currently it does not track giving by household, but this is something the Bloomerang team is working to change.
- You cannot set triggers for emails to go out on specific dates, like on a constituent's birthday. However they have plans for this to happen in the future and recently rolled out the ability to schedule mass emails.
- When you create what you believe to be a new constituent profile, you are not alerted if you are possibly creating a duplicate entry. They do have help forums and webinars, however, on how to clean up duplicates in the database.
- Reporting is user-friendly, easy and quick so it doesn't bottleneck work for the main administrator of the database.
- It can be accessed from anywhere because it's web-based so our Head of School can access on the road.
- Thank you letter process is a bit difficult to customize.
- Customization of dashboard/profile/gift entry could be useful - there are many blank fields we don't use that could be removed.
- Reporting based on region would be helpful.
- Uploading profile pictures instead of just relying on Twitter.
- Conversion ease - the conversion from our previous expensive complicated system to Bloomerang was relatively easy due to their established conversion process and conversion manager assigned to us.
- Ease of use - our old system was very powerful, but no one knew how to use it correctly. Bloomerang is easy to use and train people on. Very intuitive.
- Outstanding customer service. I use the online chat when I have questions and the support person is always knowledgeable and helpful.
- Relationship reporting (I believe this may be in the works)
- I would like to be able to have different logos or pictures on the web forms - not just 1 per organization. Ex - School Logo for school donation, Alumni Logo for Alumni donation. Currently only one is permitted. Same with some social media handles.
- The reporting function, especially the built-in canned reports, are very easy to use and very helpful when trying to look at donor data from a specific perspective.
- The donation forms are very easy to set up and integrate directly onto your website.
- The blast email is a little clunky, especially for anyone who may be used to using MailChimp.
- You cannot mass delete custom fields, so if you make a mistake with a batch upload there is no way to resolve it.
- User-friendly, this system is very easy to use and if you don't understand something there is a ton of resources to help you.
- Support & customer service are immediate!! No need to wait more than an hour.
- Constantly having online classes to improve skills.
- Better reporting ability with filters. Many are confusing to get the results you want. I would love a feature that says "show me ...... ".
- Sending thank you letters right from a transaction entry (specifically a manual entry).
- Better ability to run a year-end tax report for all donors.
[It's] less [suited for] online fundraisers - still working on marketing our website for events and donations.
- We LOVE the reports in Bloomerang because there is so much flexibility. You can get the same answer multiple ways, and even if you don't fully understand it at first it is very easy to learn.
- Bloomerang is great for acknowledgements! Having the ability to send acknowledgement emails in batches has been an incredible time-saver for our staff. Once you create a template and fix your filters, Bloomerang can send hundreds of acknowledgements at once (even if you don't use their credit card transaction systems).
- We also love the ability to assign and view tasks organization wide. It helps us get every department involved with the donor and volunteer retention. It is so easy to use and simply a great tool to have within the database.
- The integrated web forms have caused some problems for us. We had a bot entering bogus data that went into our database, but Bloomerang staff was so great about contacting us and showing us how to fix it. They even cleaned our data for us. The forms also aren't as visually appealing as you'd like them to be.
- Although their email system is user-friendly and a fantastic tool, it does not allow for your organization to use your own font and it has some aesthetic restrictions. It also doesn't allow for your to schedule when the email is sent out and that has been a hurdle for us.
- We'd love to be able to flip through somebody's timeline (instead of going into one interaction and then having to go back to the timeline to see their next interaction).
On the other hand, unless you already have an idea of how to track volunteer and their hours, it is not the best tool for volunteer tracking. You have to create your own system, which Bloomerang allows you the freedom to do.
- Bloomerang provides the ability to collect unlimited amounts of constituent information.
- Having one location that houses a place for emails, letters and newsletters.
- The dashboard is a great component.
- The event registration integration, could have an option for a no fee registration.
- Addition of adding an event to your calendar.
- Limitations on design of email and newsletters.
- Bloomerang was very easy to customize. We were able to create constituent types that are unique to us.
- Bloomerang's customer service is exceptional. The purchase and installation was smooth and easy to navigate. Whether using the chat feature, email or phone support, our questions have been answered quickly and completely.
- Bloomerang's email feature is one of my favorites. We can easily create professional and interesting emails about events, for stewardship and even newsletters. One the email is sent, we can view instant results including open rate, who clicked on links in the email and if the email bounced.
- We use the online event registration feature. We would like the donor to be able to add the organization name to the registration.
- We would like to be able to print envelopes for letters directly from Bloomerang.
- Bloomerang creates reports that detail information necessary for our development planning.
- Bloomerang tracks donations so that we can see where we might focus our energy.
- Bloomerang makes contact information available anywhere since it is an online software program.
- I don't really have any complaints or suggestions for Bloomerang. I still have much to learn about its functionality and have not had the time to make use of all of its features.
The one area I'm not skilled at and might make a suggestion at a later time is a timeline for foundation grant submissions.
Bloomerang Scorecard Summary
Bloomerang is a cloud-based donor management platform that is designed to help nonprofit organizations to reach, engage and retain the advocates they depend on to achieve their vision for a better world.
The vendor says their donor management application is rooted in principles of philanthropy; simple to use and focused on empowering an organization’s team to achieve remarkable results through enhanced donor loyalty.
The vendor’s value proposition is that Bloomerang is designed to deliver maximum results, maximum utilization by the organization’s team and maximum flexibility with no need for additional technology spending on their part.
Additionally, the vendor says their solution, plugs in the latest technologies and delivers them with a clean, modern interface - thus giving organizations a cloud-based system that is their “go-to” for better fundraising.
Bloomerang Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||90%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||5%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||5%|
Bloomerang Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Bloomerang Technical Details
|Supported Countries:||United States|
|Supported Languages: ||English|