Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Bloomerang, and make your voice heard!
Entry-level set up fee?
- Setup fee optional
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
Starting price (does not include set up fee)
- $99 per month
Bloomerang is a cloud-based donor management platform that is designed to help nonprofit organizations to reach, engage and retain the advocates they depend on to achieve their vision for a better world.
The vendor says their donor management application is rooted in principles of philanthropy; simple to use and focused on empowering an organization’s team to achieve remarkable results through enhanced donor loyalty.
The vendor’s value proposition is that Bloomerang is designed to deliver maximum results, maximum utilization by the organization’s team and maximum flexibility with no need for additional technology spending on their part.
Additionally, the vendor says their solution, plugs in the latest technologies and delivers them with a clean, modern interface - thus giving organizations a cloud-based system that is their “go-to” for better fundraising.
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||90%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||5%|
|Enterprises (more than 500 employees)||5%|
|Mobile Application||Apple iOS|
|Supported Countries||United States|
- Donor logging
- Running Report
- integration with other programs
- Some missing report functionality
- Can be confusing
- User-friendly interface.
- Seamless integration with donation page hosted on website.
- Bloomerang is integrated with Twitter but is not with Facebook or Instagram, our main social interfaces.
- CRM - Bloomerang is really useful as a CRM for tracking donors and viewing their donations on a timeline for a quick visual of a specific persons engagement with our organization.
- Automatic reporting - gone are the days of exporting CSV files and pasting them into master spreadsheets. By setting up the forms on our site everything automatically goes into the Bloomerang database. Donations made off our website can be imported into the software from a CSV file.
- User-friendly for non-technical staff - Non-technical staff can easily run reports and get a visual representation of donors and their relationships with the organization.
- Dashboard views - I really wish Bloomerang would show all donors in a single view. As it stands right now, I have to search for a donor that I know exists in the database instead of being able to see a dashboard page of the most recent donors or most active donors, something of that nature. I was extremely surprised to find out this feature was missing.
- View of all transactions - similar to the donor issue, it is not possible to see a list of recent transactions/donations. This makes verifying information a bit tedious, the data itself is pretty hidden so it’s hard to get a global view.
- Form styling defaults - Bloomerang forms are functional, but not necessarily pretty. You can do custom CSS styling, but not all organizations have a developer on staff that can make it look better than a form from 1998.
- Easy to navigate donor and donation management.
- Robust, complex reports for users willing to learn.
- Excellent donor communication features.
- Consistent updates.
- Knowledgeable and quick customer support.
- Standard website integration is bland and unclear for potential donors; you cannot customize even a header to show what fund they are giving to.
- No suggested merge feature for duplicate profiles.
- No user accounts for donors; donors must contact my org to make changes to recurring gifts or pledges.
- No restricted user accounts for my org; if someone has access, they can see anything in our Bloomerang.
- Household management for related or residence-sharing donors--plenty of fields for capturing data on individuals living under the same roof, with the ability to also link them to others by relationship (such as siblings, cousins, in-laws, co-workers, etc.)
- Funding analytics--first rattle out of the box when signing in. Thumbnails of how the organization is doing over short- and long-term spreads, most recent donors, etc.
- It's not as intuitive as I'd like it to be. Although most of the training videos make features look easy, I've had to search through menu items with some degree of frustration, but eventually found the workarounds needed.
- Creating a specialized marketing segment requires building a report based on filters. The reports can be saved and tweaked. But sometimes, you know, I'd just rather reverse the process and start with an importable list from the database so I can consider contacts with complex criteria, in advance of creating a segment.
- Reporting: Once I understood the logic behind Bloomerang's reporting tools, I could not believe I'd ever worked a different way. Some of our funders request very complicated reports and getting the relevant data out of Bloomerang is SO much easier than it was with our previous CRM tools.
- Website integration: I love the tracking functionality that Bloomerang offers, as well as how easy it is to integrate event ticket, volunteer, and other forms into our existing website.
- Intuitive design: I've introduced total novices to Bloomerang and been very impressed with how quickly they've been able to figure out all the top level navigation as well as deeper functionality.
- Mass updates: The top thing that Bloomerang currently lacks is the ability for users to execute their own mass updates. You can currently pay a relatively small fee for this type of work, but I do miss being able to update a huge group of accounts in one fell swoop on my own.
- Email layouts: I'd love to see a nicer interface and better WYSIWYG editor for creating emails. The existing set up is fine, but could be so much nicer.
- Dashboard: It would be nice to be able to customize the home screen dashboard a bit. I'd like to be able to choose a few different reports to see automatically, and to be able to hide other things that aren't as relevant.
- Easy to use interface
- Good reporting that is easy to modify
- Easy setup
- Has built in way to do online donation form
- Web forms are ugly and clunky
- Settings are not the best organized
- Cannot do suggested donation amounts on an online form without including a text item next to each amount (ex/ $100 Gold Level $50 Silver Level cannot just do $100, $50, etc.)
- Easy to set up campaigns and to receive online donations for specific campaigns.
- Report running is easy and comprehensive.
- Sets apart donors who are very active and need special attention.
- Currently, only one person's contact information can be used for online giving pages they host, so if you have multiple events or campaigns that are not handled by the same person, this gets confusing. We ended up making a generic email address that is a distribution list to each person.
- They use Sendgrid for the mass mailing. Over the timeframe we have been with them, Sendgrid has had different "glitches" that Bloomerang had to have us use workarounds for.
- Bloomerang is web based and so easy to access. Recording interactions with donors is easy and enjoyable.
- I send an email newsletter through Bloomerang. It is easy to set up templates and update them. After sending a newsletter it is easy to see detailed tracking info (when launched, deliverability, opened stats, recipient engagement, and links clicked).
- Bloomerang's interactive connections is so helpful. There are so many connections to find things one may want to follow. As I mentioned in the email tracking portion you can click any number of links to follow or find detailed information (unsubscribes, bounced, etc.)
- The Bloomerang email portion could use some additional formatting options. I'd like to see the active links be allowed to be a larger font. I'd also encourage them to establish pre-headers. I used them a lot before I started sending my emails through Bloomerang - still the positives of Bloomerang outweigh the previous program I used because it is integrated with all my donor records.
- Donor profile - it's very simple to see who's very engaged and who's not.
- Online donations - hosted giving pages make donations easy to manage from within Bloomerang.
- Robust reporting - I've never found a reporting engine with more granularity. it's really amazing.
- User permissions - currently only two levels of permission for users, and both levels grant access to all donor profiles. Unhelpful if you want to give staff members limited access to a certain report or certain band of donors.
- track donor history and identify "hot" donors.
- organize targeted campaigns
- automate donor acknowledgements.
- There could be a more efficient way to record contributions which are "in honor of" or "in memory of" an individual.
- Customer management
- Donor retention
- Donor cultivation
- Email system could use an upgrade.
- It allows us to see at a glance the involvement level of any given database participant.
- It has great search capabilities to provide various pieces of specific station performance.
- It interfaces well with other databases and donation processing companies.
- It needs a keyboard short cut to search for a donor.
- They need to work with more than one ACH processor.
- It would be nice to be able to make global changes to a group of searched records.
- It gives us a very easy to manage way of tracking our constituents, donors and friends.
- We can create constituent fields that help us send information out to only those who need it.
- It makes donor management very easy and allows us to thank our donors and track giving.
- It is very user-friendly and the online tech support is SO good!!!!!
- They have honestly added so many updates, that I don't currently have an area for improvement. They have kept ahead of my needs to this point. They are very responsive to users.
We are a small non-profit and it works great for us.
- Provides an at a glance snapshot of donor engagement... email opens, gifts, volunteer hours, interactions, emails, etc.
- Easy to use reporting functions and full support to create reports
- Manages our grant process and tracks when grants are due as well as all other pertinent information
- I would like to see some more pre created industry standard reports.
- I would like to see a Word document output of thank you letters.
- Website integration for online donations is awesome! It makes it so much easier to raise money online. We've tripled the amount of money we raise online, mainly because of this and the ability to send emails through the system.
- Emails are tracked directly in a donor's record, so we can see instantly their engagement with our content.
- Integration with DonorSearch is awesome and seems to be improving often.
- They listen to their customers' needs. If enough customers request a feature, they'll get it for us. We feel like the development of this software is always happening and it's a partnership, rather than a transaction.
- Imports aren't as user-friendly as we'd like, but we can manage.
- Bloomerang can generate reports that are incredibly specific with the "and" "or" buttons. I recently created reports of holiday giving received before a particular email went to all constituents and then after that email was sent. This allowed us to consider how effective the email was.
- Tracking who opens emails, who clicks on certain links and who visits our website has helped us to fine tune our emails.
- It may be that Bloomerang has a way of doing this and I haven't taken the time to figure it our or visit with support, but I am finding the increasing number of letter and email templates harder to navigate through.
- I wish Bloomerang would remember the most recent email, letter or report that I worked on like it does for constituent. I'd also like the history to stay even after I log out instead of clearing it each time.
- Bloomerang is great at generating letters and addresses.
- I love the "note" function to add communications and updates to a donor's file so that others can see an interaction, address change, phone call, etc.
- I recently learned how to create end-of-year letters and reports, which saved a tremendous amount of time.
- Reporting functions for various development needs.
- I would love to see the "head of household" not default to the male. At my organization, the female is often the one passionate about our cause, so it is a pain to go in and keep changing the way the system defaults.
- The letters download as a PDF so changes are not able to be made in one or two letters before printing without taking more time than just editing the individual letter on the constituent's account.
- Bloomerang is very intuitive and user-friendly, even for staff and volunteers that are not technologically oriented or experienced.
- Bloomerang is built on the concept that donor retention is key with a dashboard that shows donor's love (on fire to cold) for each constituent, making for a very quick survey of current relationship status.
- Bloomerang has a fabulous tech and user support staff making it easy to reach out with questions. We have never had to wait for someone from Bloomerang support to chat online!
- Bloomerang incorporates online giving and event registration seamlessly.
- Bloomerang can export to QuickBooks easily.
- Event registration could be improved by adding the ability to select more than one item in a transaction. This would allow for a single transaction to include multiple types of registrations and/or sponsorships.
- Adding the capacity to "undo" a data import would reduce anxiety around adding data en mass.
- Additional standard reports would be helpful for those without deep experience with donor database usage.
- Tracking donor relationships (love the timeline view).
- Tracking various campaigns (dashboard view and graphics are great).
- Reports (so many options to build reports and share your data...data is key!).
- Letter and email generation.
- Linkage to our website (online giving!).
- Having access for volunteers for our bi-annual fundraisers (when we provide user access it's not able to be limited to certain screens, they have access to view all data).
- Sometimes the Household icon is not ideal when pulling data, would rather have an option to not use Household icon.
- It would be really nice to have an auto address verification to recognize incorrect addresses.
- New contact entries are a snap. It literally takes about 2 minutes to train someone on how to enter a new contact into the system.
- Entering donations is also a very easy process and super easy to train someone on how to do it.
- The dashboard is useful and gives a nice rundown of current donations.
- Processing credit cards within the system is also very easy, however we still use Paypal for non-profits to process donations that come in over the phone due to the cheaper rate.
- The process of entering new tributes (In Memory of/In Honor of) could be much more streamlined.
- As with most of these donor management softwares that I've used, the Thank You letters could be more functional. I usually export the information that I need into an Excel file and do a mail merge with a Word doc.
- The event module has been useless for us. I've tried to set it up a couple times so people could buy tickets to events, but it's not super-flexible or user friendly.
- It's frustrating that if you're going to use it for your online giving form, you have to have a description next to each amount. For example: "$25 - This will buy meals for a local senior for a week" or something to that effect. You can't make a form with just the dollar amounts. Therefore we're using QGiv as our online donation form.
If you're looking for a all-in-one solution that you can use for events, online giving forms, etc. you might want to shop around a bit. I find that this is where this software is lacking a bit. Even though we have these modules available through Bloomerang, I still find myself choosing other options like Brownpapertickets, Paypal and Qgiv over the built in module.
- Cloud-based system. I can access my donor database from anywhere on the planet from my laptop or phone.
- The built in Ahern audit guides you in making sure you are staying donor-focused and using appropriate grade level.
- Custom fields allow me to build reports that are specific to our organization and donors.
- Dashboard with current overview of donor retention rate, campaign progress, and tasks keep me focused on moving my organization forward.
- I would love to see the ability to automatically generate reports for specific things.
- Autosave on email and letter editing functions.
- Email reminders for tasks.
- The reporting interface is very clean and intuitive. By the far the best and easiest I've used.
- The engagement index is helpful, along with the donor retention meter. Just as constant reminders.
- The overall record interface is clean, easy to read and easy on the eyes.
- The email builder is very limited. More and more users are going outside Bloomerang to build emails, and that's not particularly helpful since there's the tie to the donor record is then lost.
- Until recently, the inability to edit letters created in batches was a BIG miss. Took WAY too long to start fixing that one.
- Very user-friendly
- Reporting is easy
- Connecting people is a breeze
- Adding fields is simple
- User-friendly: Bloomerang is set up to be extremely user-friendly. Learning to input data, manage records, and run reports is intuitive and does not require a steep learning curve. This means that our small team was able to get up and running on the platform quickly.
- Powerful reporting: We use the reporting feature to segment our constituent list to better tailor communications, 1:1 outreach, and follow-up.
- Donor Appreciation: Bloomerang is founded on the premise that thanking donors is the cornerstone of effective fundraising for nonprofits. The system is built in such a way as to make donor appreciation easy, timely, and authentic.
- Limited options for bulk updates: The import feature is currently the only option for making bulk updates to records. This adds an additional layer of difficulty for users and in our experience increases the possibility of error in making updates to records.
The platform would be less well-suited for organizations managing a large amount of data or who need the system to seamlessly integrate with accounting, email, and/or billing software.