Box is an online file-sharing, storage and collaboration service provider that caters to individual users as well as businesses.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/DT/AP/F15FLC0T0TRA.PNGDon't integrate Box with other software.I work as an ERP/CRM consultant. In several companies, I've linked Box to NetSuite. Box should enable the user to quickly attach files to NetSuite transactions.,Store files,Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Purchased box numerous times - this time for a smaller company. From the start there were issues with integration to NetSuite. After 65 days we gave up dealing with customer service due to their inability to resolve the issues and absolute commitment to not talking to the customer except by email. So annoying to receive an email at 4 am, respond to it and then wait 24+ hours for a reply that still doesn't address the issue. Don't have any support outside of US. Good luck trying to get support in your time zone if you live in Australia or the APac region. Even if support was available - its terrible. Once box has your money, you're on your own - don't count on their "support" for any support. When box works, it's fine, but it's a real hassle and resource intensive, client side if you have any issues wiht the product or want to make any changes.,1,Very negative impact on the business. Cost of resolving issues far exceeds any efficiencies gained by using box when it works.,NetSuite, NAXT for Microsoft Dynamics 365Great solution for Enterprise File ManagementBox is used in my organization as our file sharing tool. We regularly use this for storing team files, training content, team notes, etc, in just about every part of our organization. Simply say that, without Box, we would have no way to share files which would prevent us from doing business in many ways.,It's SUPER easy to create a folder, add content (drag and drop being the best option for me), and share it. Box used to be limited for our org where you had to add individual users (by email or name lookup) which took a very long time if there were hundreds of users that need access. But now box has the option to use link sharing with a setting for "People in your company" which now makes sharing a folder a snap if you just need to give people access to download the files. That's one of our most common use cases, so this is an awesome feature! Box notes! I am a heavy user of another note-taking tool, mainly because Box notes was too simple of an interface for my preferences. But, it looks like Box notes has been updated pretty recently and now this part of the tool is filled with great features, like pre-built templates for many different use cases (e.g., project plan, meeting agenda, etc) and they have simple UI upgrades that make Box notes so much easier to use, like the "Inbox" which shows unread notes at top. This feature is awesome for sharing notes on a project, meeting, etc. with many different users and keeping them organized. Because this feature had such a great upgrade, I'm migrating all my note taking from the other tool into Box notes. Box Sync is a nice feature and a large part of our organization uses this instead of file backup software. For example, if we have files we want to have backed up, we simply store and edit these files within the Box sync folder on our PCs and that folder backs up to our Box cloud account. Simple and easy!,Folder organization on folders that have been shared with me is kind of a pain. There's no way to move a folder shared with me into another folder without being an editor, and if I am an editor it changes the location for everyone who can access the folder. Some kind of personalized folder organization would really improve this situation because currently, the only way to find folders is by the search bar, or by sorting, or by adding to favorites (which would become unusable with too many favorites). The ratio of folders shared with me to folders I own is easily 5:1, so these options for locating folders are not good enough. This is especially a pain if just a sub-folder is shared with me because the owner of the folder might have organized it really well but the sub-folder could have a seemingly obscure name that's hard to remember and hard to find if I am searching for it later. Sharing could still be improved. I mentioned earlier in my review that I now have the option to use like sharing with everyone in my org (with download only capability) and that's a huge advantage over sharing with individual email addresses which were all we had before. This still leaves some middle ground for bulk sharing with multiple emails/users, through something like a file upload containing the emails, or creating a group that could be used multiple times. I don't know the best way to do this but it's definitely still a gap. As will all of my reviews, please take this with a grain of salt because it's possible some features have been customized or removed from my organization. All I can review is what I can see. They are missing some channel for product feedback. Once again, this could be something suppressed by my organization, but with a product like Box, I'd expect to see some kind of method for sharing feedback on the product like the issue with the organization of folders limiting the usability (feedback links on web-based platforms are becoming quite common). But when I search around their site I don't find a method for sharing feedback or product ideas. The only thing I found was a "Contact Box" link which took me to a contact the sales team form. Not useful for this purpose.,9,We decommissioned a PC backup tool because Box Sync provided similar functionality. I am not part of our IT department so I don't know how many dollars we saved, but during the migration, we were told it was a significant cost saving. Our prior file sharing solution was so bad that people would only use it if they absolutely had to, meaning our file sharing practices were terrible. Now, people use Box for everything because it's so easy, so we now have better access to all the content we produce across our departments I don't have stats on this, but the use of Box Notes vs. standard email-based collaboration has a significant impact on project team effectiveness in several projects I've been involved in.Fast and Simple Collaboration ToolWe use Box as a file collaboration tool in the office for pursuits and on the job while building the work. It is a great collaboration tools and allows instant access to the most recent files. Everyone has the information at their fingertips whether it be in the office on their computer or on the job on their mobile phone. No more excuses for not having the most up to date files.,Great Search Functionality - not only searching the document titles, but within the documents themselves. Syncing and file access is Fast! It is easy and intuitive to use. It doesn't take a lot of training.,It would be great if Box could add granular permissions for file access. Printing can be difficult. Box Edit could be refined a little more for locked documents. It is easy to mistakenly create duplicate files.,9,It has saved countless manhours on searching for the most up to date document.,Dropbox, Procore and Bluebeam RevuThis one went back in the box. Using Google Drive now.Box was formerly used at my organization to share large files between teammates and to back up student work from our live lessons.,Allows file sharing of large objects that cannot be emailed Storage for items that don't need to stay on one's hard drive User-friendly operation and setup,Free Box had a limit to which we could use it We wanted it to be fully web-based and not have desktop software,5,While we used it, it was great to share files. Increased our productivity. Allows remote users to be connected to others. Great way to back up files - security for organizations.,Dropbox and Google Drive,Google Drive, DropboxBox is a reliable & easy to use file sharing solutionBox is what we use across the whole company. It provides us 2 main functions that help us every day in our daily routine. First off, Box is used as a backup of our files within our local machine. Our local files are synced immediately to our Box account so newly created files are uploaded to our Box account. Second, Box allows us to share files with our team.,Box allows us to share files within our organization but also provide access others outside our organization. Box can be used to back up files in your local machine.,Box's documentation for their API was hard to follow in some ways. As a developer, I wanted to write some scripts to automate the download/upload of files within my Box account. In order to do begin this process, the admin of our enterprise had to provide the proper permissions. Once given permissions, the authentication process was a challenge to get working and I eventually gave up with trying to automate through Box.,9,Box has had a positive impact in our organization because it has helped my department be more organized and efficient. Our assets now live in one area while allowing involved parties access to these files.,Dropbox,CodeIgniter, Microsoft SQL Server
Box

Box Reviews

Box
Filter 334 vetted Box reviews and ratings
March 16, 2018

"Don't integrate Box with other software."

Box should enable the user to quickly attach files to NetSuite transactions.
  • Store files
  • Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Purchased box numerous times - this time for a smaller company. From the start there were issues with integration to NetSuite. After 65 days we gave up dealing with customer service due to their inability to resolve the issues and absolute commitment to not talking to the customer except by email. So annoying to receive an email at 4 am, respond to it and then wait 24+ hours for a reply that still doesn't address the issue.
  • Don't have any support outside of US. Good luck trying to get support in your time zone if you live in Australia or the APac region. Even if support was available - its terrible.
  • Once box has your money, you're on your own - don't count on their "support" for any support.
  • When box works, it's fine, but it's a real hassle and resource intensive, client side if you have any issues wiht the product or want to make any changes.
Never use Box with NetSuite or integrate box with another product. Their integration is glitchy. If something goes wrong, Box does not have qualified support in place to deal with issues - your on your own....without access to fix most integration issues.
Read Vittoria Anderson's full review
July 09, 2018

Box Review: "Great solution for Enterprise File Management"

• It's SUPER easy to create a folder, add content (drag and drop being the best option for me), and share it. Box used to be limited for our org where you had to add individual users (by email or name lookup) which took a very long time if there were hundreds of users that need access. But now box has the option to use link sharing with a setting for "People in your company" which now makes sharing a folder a snap if you just need to give people access to download the files. That's one of our most common use cases, so this is an awesome feature!
  • Box notes! I am a heavy user of another note-taking tool, mainly because Box notes was too simple of an interface for my preferences. But, it looks like Box notes has been updated pretty recently and now this part of the tool is filled with great features, like pre-built templates for many different use cases (e.g., project plan, meeting agenda, etc) and they have simple UI upgrades that make Box notes so much easier to use, like the "Inbox" which shows unread notes at top. This feature is awesome for sharing notes on a project, meeting, etc. with many different users and keeping them organized. Because this feature had such a great upgrade, I'm migrating all my note taking from the other tool into Box notes.
  • Box Sync is a nice feature and a large part of our organization uses this instead of file backup software. For example, if we have files we want to have backed up, we simply store and edit these files within the Box sync folder on our PCs and that folder backs up to our Box cloud account. Simple and easy!
  • Folder organization on folders that have been shared with me is kind of a pain. There's no way to move a folder shared with me into another folder without being an editor, and if I am an editor it changes the location for everyone who can access the folder. Some kind of personalized folder organization would really improve this situation because currently, the only way to find folders is by the search bar, or by sorting, or by adding to favorites (which would become unusable with too many favorites). The ratio of folders shared with me to folders I own is easily 5:1, so these options for locating folders are not good enough. This is especially a pain if just a sub-folder is shared with me because the owner of the folder might have organized it really well but the sub-folder could have a seemingly obscure name that's hard to remember and hard to find if I am searching for it later.
  • Sharing could still be improved. I mentioned earlier in my review that I now have the option to use like sharing with everyone in my org (with download only capability) and that's a huge advantage over sharing with individual email addresses which were all we had before. This still leaves some middle ground for bulk sharing with multiple emails/users, through something like a file upload containing the emails, or creating a group that could be used multiple times. I don't know the best way to do this but it's definitely still a gap.
  • As will all of my reviews, please take this with a grain of salt because it's possible some features have been customized or removed from my organization. All I can review is what I can see.
  • They are missing some channel for product feedback. Once again, this could be something suppressed by my organization, but with a product like Box, I'd expect to see some kind of method for sharing feedback on the product like the issue with the organization of folders limiting the usability (feedback links on web-based platforms are becoming quite common). But when I search around their site I don't find a method for sharing feedback or product ideas. The only thing I found was a "Contact Box" link which took me to a contact the sales team form. Not useful for this purpose.
Any type of file sharing is where you'd want to use Box, including local storage that's backed up to the cloud using your Box Sync folder. Some situations where it might not be appropriate would be for sharing intellectual property, or export controlled information. We have some restrictions in my org prohibiting the use of Box for those purposes. This is probably on a case by case basis depending on your company.

One scenario where I strongly encourage the use of Box is for collaboration on projects, both for file sharing (e.g., building content with multiple stakeholders) as well as sharing notes and project plans via the aforementioned Box Notes functionality. We still do too much through email alone so we often have issues with version control and certain team members being out of the loop on a conversation. Using Box and Box Notes for file sharing and planning notes, etc. would go a long way to mitigate problems like this.
February 07, 2018

Box Review: "Fast and Simple Collaboration Tool"

• Great Search Functionality - not only searching the document titles, but within the documents themselves.
  • Syncing and file access is Fast!
  • It is easy and intuitive to use. It doesn't take a lot of training.
  • It would be great if Box could add granular permissions for file access.
  • Printing can be difficult.
  • Box Edit could be refined a little more for locked documents. It is easy to mistakenly create duplicate files.
Sharing files among people in different offices and companies.
February 05, 2018

Review: "This one went back in the box. Using Google Drive now."

• Allows file sharing of large objects that cannot be emailed
  • Storage for items that don't need to stay on one's hard drive
  • User-friendly operation and setup
  • Free Box had a limit to which we could use it
  • We wanted it to be fully web-based and not have desktop software
I think it is fine for small groups or individuals, or for emailing large file attachments that do not need to be permanently saved. I don't think it is the best choice for large groups where lots of files are being shared.
January 23, 2018

Review: "Box is a reliable & easy to use file sharing solution"

• Box allows us to share files within our organization but also provide access others outside our organization.
  • Box can be used to back up files in your local machine.
  • Box's documentation for their API was hard to follow in some ways. As a developer, I wanted to write some scripts to automate the download/upload of files within my Box account. In order to do begin this process, the admin of our enterprise had to provide the proper permissions. Once given permissions, the authentication process was a challenge to get working and I eventually gave up with trying to automate through Box.
Box is well suited for organizations looking to have a unified way of sharing documents with each other. Not only you can share documents within your organization, you can also allow access to users outside of your organization. You can sync your Box folder to your machine. This great if you have multiple computers that you use because your Box folder will be synced across them all.
January 22, 2018

Review: "Box - Simple File Sharing for Any Organization"

We use Box for sharing files internally within our company. We use Box Sync to backup important documents on our local machines and use it to securely share large print files with our clients. Box is currently being used by our marketing, product and admissions departments to share documents, images, videos and internal forms.
  • Box is simple to use.
  • Box Sync keeps all files updated, in real-time.
  • Box allows us to upload large files quickly via the browser or desktop programs.
  • Box has an API we utilize for some internal tools.
  • The Box API is thorough, but it is difficult to learn about various methods available.
Box's best feature is that it is simple to use. I can drag files to a folder on my computer and have them appear in the browser, making sharing large files with colleagues painless. It also allows us to take advantage of Single Sign-On, so we don't have to log in to the web application, saving us a step.
January 19, 2018

User Review: "Box just works."

Box is used throughout our organization as our main cloud-based storage and backup solution. All systems have Box Sync installed on them and includes the Desktop and Documents folders within Windows. This allows users to jump between computers, in the office and off-site, and have their important files be readily available to access.

Our department regularly uses our Box shared drives to help share reports and creative files. We simply place the file in the shared directory, and in a few seconds, the other user can see it on their system.
  • Box sync is convenient and effortless. This allows cloud files to live on your desktop as well as in the cloud.
  • Sharing folders has been a lifesaver for our department. In some cases, the files we have are much larger than an email or chat system can handle. We can essentially share a drive with others and not worry about file size limits.
  • Folder sharing goes even further with the ability to share a folder or files with people outside of the company and provide permissions for editing and reading.
  • With our business account, we can use the same Windows AD logins to access our Box accounts.
  • Box has built support for multiple platforms, including obscure or minimally used operating systems. I can even get it on my BlackBerry tablet from 2008.
  • The Box API has been a bit more difficult that we had presumed. There are great examples for Ruby users, but we are PHP team. There were cURL instructions, and that is what we ended up using.
  • When using the web interface, it is easy to overlook the pagination in directories with many files. I have had situations where I thought something was broken with the sync program just to find that the file I was looking for was on page 2. Even the list view limits items to 20 per page.
Box works with so many platforms and provides an easy solution for cloud based storage. While there are some issues we run into, they are infrequent and usually minor. We have found the API setup to be problem-some from time to time, but we use the basic features of Box daily and are happy with the results.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review
September 11, 2017

User Review: "Box up all your files!"

The agency I work for used Box across the entire organization, including all departments and office locations. Box is our enterprise solution for cloud storage, file sharing and collaborating.
  • Drag and drop uploading for easy, quick file storage.
  • All file types supported.
  • You can preview most files before you download them.
  • Lock files and set permissions for extra security.
  • Search often results in many results. I suggest an advanced search feature.
  • The option to compress files would be useful.
Box is a great solution for file storage, sharing and management. Whether a personal account, or for a large company or organization, Box has the capacity to meet your needs. I have no issues with Box. The one thing I would recommend is to develop a folder organization strategy before you start uploading files.
Read Erik Viager's full review
January 16, 2018

Review: "Think Inside the Box: Box Has Everything You Need for Cloud Storage"

Box is one of the main cloud systems our organization uses. Box houses many, if not all, of our organization's documents, contracts, etc., and every employee also has their own folder to store their own work. We have several offices across the country, so Box makes it easy to access files from employees in different offices. It also makes collaboration and file sharing simple. Many of my coworkers use this as the main way to share files with clients.
  • File sharing. Can share with people inside or outside of your organization easily via a link.
  • Collaboration. Once files are shared, easy to download and edit files. When reuploading document or making changes, Box shows that the version has been updated and by which user.
  • Easy to use cloud storage management system. Easy to host, store and share files all in one place.
  • Box can easily get crowded with folders, and sometimes it's annoying to try and find certain files. Of course, a lot of that can be attributed to how users set up and organize their files. That said, I find myself constantly going back and forth between certain screens and would love have to have better access to some pages.
  • Some of my clients have complained about its user experience for people who don't have a Box account. They can still access the shared files, but some have trouble. Again, not sure if it's more Box-related or based on the user.
Box is great if you are needing a cloud storage management system with easy sharing and collaboration capabilities. It is the one-stop shop for cloud and sharing offerings.

If you don't know what your sharing needs are, I would say to check out some other options such as Dropbox for the lower price point. That negates some capabilities of course, but if you aren't sure what you need in your role, you might not need everything that Box has to offer.
January 17, 2018

Box Review: "One of the best content management tools available"

Box is being used as a cloud content management tool and a file-sharing platform. It is used by our users for collaboration. It has been deployed to a subset of users and that footprint increases everyday. With Box deployed, users have the ability to get to their work from a wide array of devices regardless of their physical location.
  • Cloud content management is handled by Box very efficiently
  • Users who tend to collaborate on work like this tool
  • Admins like Box as it has a very interactive management console with easy and self explanatory settings
  • Box provides free training once you have an enterprise account so it's easy to get the HelpDesk to get started and start supporting users
  • Integrations with Microsoft and Google to launch Word, Excel, Google Docs and Google Sheets
  • Unlimited storage
  • 5 GB per file upload limit
  • Could run into PCI and HIPAA issues since the users can potentially upload anything sensitive to Box.
  • A CASB tool is recommended along with BOX deployment to filter PCI and HIPAA data
Box is well suited where organizations do not want to give their users large hard drives and potentially spend thousands replacing them. It has unlimited storage. A financial institution might have problems with deploying such a tool due to the risk of users potentially uploading PCI, HIPAA violating documents. It comes in handy for the admins to manage users and the content through the admin portal.
January 16, 2018

"Box review - a finance professional's perspective"

Box is mainly used by the finance organization, although licenses are available to other departments. There is a lot of sharing of URL links within this department and it is also a way to securely back-up documents.
  • Box is user-friendly. For example, you are able to drag and drop files, which is an option that I find less laborious than uploading files.
  • Box is secure. When attaching and sending files via e-mail, you run the risk of the file getting into the wrong hands. By sending a URL to a co-worker and giving that person permission to view this box file, I feel that it reduces the chance that the file is seen by someone who should be not viewing it.
  • Box is widely used. We often need to collaborate with external stakeholders. Since box is a cloud based solution widely used, it's easy to share files with these people without the pain of transferring files across different systems.
  • Box could improve its brand with its enterprise software users. The box logo strikes me as a bit child-like. As an enterprise software client, I associate Box with a start up.
  • Box could provide additional training to users but showing hints on occasion. Once I learn the basic functionality of box - the basics of uploading files - I have stopped learning any more of its functionality. I doubt that files storage is the only functionality!
  • Box could differentiate itself with its competitors more. I am wondering, "How is this any better than Google Drive?"
Box is well suited for uploading and archiving Excel files. As a finance professional that is heavily dependent on Excel, I need a cloud-based solution that lets me save documents that are in this format. However, I find it more useful to use Google Sheets when I need basic spreadsheets and need to collaborate with others, updating information in real time.
August 26, 2016

Review: "Box platform well suited for business collaboration online"

Our agency produces online videos for business clients. Since 2007, we have used a variety of online collaboration tools for transparently managing the coordination of video production work on client jobs, as well as sharing appropriate files, documents, videos, etc.
Additionally, we perform most of our work using independent contractors, so it's critical to have consistent workflow guidelines, easy access and functionality which automatically syncs shared folders back to the network.
  • File sharing
  • Folder sharing
  • Permissions based access by folders and/or files
  • Ability to set expiration dates for sharing and/or deletion of folders and files
  • Notifications built-in for easily sharing specific files when available
  • Comment threads about specific files for collaboration
  • How pricing is determined by users could be simpler
  • Additional project management functionality like To-do items and lists
Box is very well suited for sharing files, folders and being able to collaborate about them online. Some clients are hesitant to establish an account, even when it's free, so that can sometimes be an obstacle.
There are also instances when clients already have alternatives such as Dropbox and prefer to use their accounts for sharing files with us instead of uploading to Box; however, they do not have a problem accessing the files or folders we share with them via Box.
Read Ross R. Mason's full review
August 05, 2016

User Review: "Box, great for simple storage!"

Box is not used very widely in my organization. Instead, most of my peers use other cloud computing software like Google Drive and Dropbox as they are more well known and offer a suite of productivity services and/or third party integration. Although Box gives users a reliable space to store data, it remains rather stagnant and we haven't seen much improvements to the software.
  • Large space to store data
  • Not too expensive for cloud storage
  • Multiple device support
  • Lack of major improvements
  • Not very well known
  • Box isn't very powerful yet
Box is suited for generic storing of data. I do not really see how much better Box is compared to its competitors. Box has not engaged in much product differentiation to make it unique and awesome for users. Box is not very appropriate when you want to do multi-person collaboration on a document/presentation.
Read Colin Hong's full review
August 03, 2016

Box Review: "A top competitor of cloud storage for business"

I have used Box in the past and still use it on occasion to store documents and files such as invoices, receipts, expense reports, marketing materials, etc. Box, like other cloud storage platforms, allows me to access my important files on the go and also gives me the peace of mind knowing I will not lose my information should something happen to my physical computers.
  • The mobile app is user-friendly on iOS so it is easy to access your files.
  • Box reads/opens just about any file on mobile and if it does not, it allows you to open the file in another application through iOS prompt.
  • Box provides a lot of storage at reasonable prices.
  • Larger files such as audio or video files seem to load slower on Box than other cloud storage apps in my experience.
  • Box could consider native document creation like Google Drive offers.
Box is great for file backup and cloud storage so you can rest assured your important docs are not going to be wiped off the planet. No matter your connection via mobile, I would suggest Box for smaller files. If you host video files, consider downloading the Box Sync app for desktops and access the large files locally on your computer.
Read James McQuillin's full review
August 05, 2016

Box Review: "A Great Tool of Agency's"

My organization uses Box to store all of our data and to manage our files' activity and approval of credit assets with clients. We went to the cloud with our files after having to constantly seek out storage options. Additionally, we have teams members that work remotely and this allowed us to collaborate easily.
  • Affordable. The price is inline with most cloud storage platforms.
  • The dashboard is easy to use. Easy to share. I generally feel like the product is actually focused on the business user vs a more retail consumer looking to store photo or music.
  • Adding extra space is pretty affordable too. Syncing is a breeze too.
  • Cost to add space is affordable, but most others are.
  • Our agency works with graphic designers - pretty fragmented market - a lot of them us Dropbox. It would be great if they saw the value - would make for stronger eco system. It makes the collaboration features have to work harder.
We are an agency and are managing various clients, approvasl, etc. We need lots of storage and this offers it at a much more attractive price than Dropbox. For folks that just want a personal account- that personal option is great too.

For large teams on a project the ability to assign tasks is a plus.
Read Raymond Cobb III's full review
April 12, 2016

User Review: "Unlock team potential with Box"

Box is being used unilaterally across the university providing a secure file sharing platform for staff. Box provides a quick, secure medium to share documents with colleagues, with the capability to show real-time updates, manage version control, with accessibility from any computer. I have the capability to create text documents, spreadsheets and presentations to multiple collaborates at the touch of a button.
  • Access control. Share the files with who you want. Limit accessibility, edit ability, or control rights.
  • Real-time updates with version control.
  • Notification of latest updates to a file.
  • Security authentication for documents.
  • File management visualization.
  • Trending access with analytic options.
Box is well suited for agile projects where documents are collaborated upon by a team. Allows for a team to work across a broad geographic area yet keep the availability to access the latest team documents.

Box is not well suited for small businesses with small geographic footprints. As other software would be better suited.
Read Kristopher Ying's full review
May 25, 2016

User Review: "Box.com is great solution"

I have been using Box for my personal use for around 5 years and it's been an amazing file sharing solution. I have been sharing files between my devices easily. I don't have to worry about large files as I have 50 GB storage space. I use it for sharing images, videos, documents and lots of other file types. I really like it and will continue using it without hesitation.
  • Very easy to use
  • Very responsive and fast uploading and downloading
  • Available on many devices
  • Only one thing, when adding another email to login, I would love it if every email has its own files and not the same files together.
As I'm using it for myself only, I find Box is one of the best file sharing solution as I have benefited a lot by using it. I don't like the idea of transferring files using a USB as it does sometimes damage my PC. So, using this service is helpful and amazing.
Read Mohammed Alshehri's full review
April 19, 2016

User Review: "Box It Up - And Be Patient with Sync"

We use Box across our entire organization as well as for sharing files and resources with clients. It provides secure access and offsite backup, as well as a way to collaborate efficiently with other users - we can work on a document without e-mailing it back and forth, and also have the capability to lock a file we're working on to prevent conflicting changes.
  • File storage.
  • Universal access from any device.
  • Sharing materials and resources.
  • The sync feature is too slow - we end up saving items on our desktops and then copying them to Box.
  • If you're not careful to lock a file when editing it, Box handles conflicts by creating multiple versions of a document with the individual user's name affixed - then you have to manually integrate the changes, which is maddening.
  • Reminders to unsync infrequently used folders would be a big help - I end up with lots of folders synced that I no longer need, which slows me down.
It's great for file sharing and for backup/file storage as well as for universal access from any device at any time. The collaboration needs some improvement, as it handles conflicting changes by creating multiple versions of a document and affixing the individual user's name. The sync feature is too slow - I need to be able to sync a folder and immediately be able to access it from my desktop so I'm not constantly wondering - did I upload that file? Can I delete it now?
Read Kat Jenkins's full review
April 18, 2016

User Review: "Box is Easy to Use and Share"

We're a virtual organization which means we do not have an office and rely on cloud solutions for collaboration. Box allows me to share files with my co-workers in a secure cloud-based way. The fact that it is accessible from all of my devices and systems makes it especially flexible and useful.
  • Syncing works very well.
  • Sharing is straight forward and simple.
  • Setting up third-party integrations is simple and intuitive.
  • I really have no suggestions. Box is a streamlined, easy to use product.
I think it may not be appropriate for an Office365 shop because of OneDrive. It's hard to justify paying for 2 identical services. That said if your company is not using Office365, Box is a good choice for cloud storage.
Read Micah Jones's full review
April 11, 2016

Review: "Box is a Must-Have for International Sales Teams"

We use Box to share PowerPoint presentations, submittal documents, and other sales and marketing tools with the sales team that we would not post on our website for customers to see. Box allows us to keep documents up to date and allows sales reps from around the world to download, edit and use.
  • Ease of use.
  • Email notifications when documents are changed, downloaded, etc.
  • Cost effective.
  • Visual appeal.
  • Mobile app.
  • Licensing fees.
We believe it is well suited for global sales and marketing teams. I am not sure where it would be less appropriate as I could see teams of people at work, ministry, even families use Box for sharing documents, photos and other important information with one another. We enjoy using Box!
Read Deron Austin's full review
April 08, 2016

Review: "Box.com Is A Great Tool To Sync and Backup Your Work & Personal Files"

Almost all of my work files are saved in my Box.com folder. This syncs them up in the cloud so I can access them from any device. It also acts as a backup for all of my files should something go wrong on my computer's hard drive. Having it in Box.com also allows me to easily share files and folders with others via a link.
  • Sync & view files on and from any device.
  • Create a backup of all of my files.
  • Share files and folders easily with other people.
  • The desktop app can slow the computer as it uses a ton of memory, especially compared to some of Box's competitors.
  • The desktop app settings are limited.
Box is a great tool for individual workers who want to back up and share their files. They also pride themselves on secure file management, and I've never had any issues in this regard.
Read Jason Montoya's full review
March 10, 2016

User Review: "Designs Boxed in, and I Love It!"

Box has become an essential collaborative tool for my workplace, and my freelance business. We use Box collectively to work together across the country, granting access to individual contributors, client print files, and to manage versions of our content used in the classroom. Box also provides us a secure way to transfer large files that wouldn't work being sent via email.
  • Box controls versions of work very cleanly and carefully, even allowing for older versions to be made to the 'current' one...this has saved me many headaches when files accidentally are overwritten.
  • Syncs with a computer, and following the preliminary sync process, works as simply as an additional hard drive. These files can later be accessed via phone, tablet, and PCs across the world.
  • A secure way to transfer files, and limit access of various users, Box has become a simple tool to use in process management for myself and contributing designers.
  • Box syncing sometimes doesn't work, and doesn't provide much explanation for why certain files just don't seem to queue up as the rest of them do. This may be my own user errors, but its not a quickly solved one.
  • Uploading files via browser, from a PC I am not synced on Box with, takes a while, and has its limitations based on the file size.
Box is a fantastic tool for designers working in a collaborative environment. I am able to work with my contributors in New York, India, California, and across the world on a secure platform that keeps my files up to date. In a creative process such as a logo design, or manual layout, we can bounce out revisions, or view one another's concepts within a few minutes of the upload being initiated. I haven't found any limitations within my own work, other than the file preview mode, PPTs and PDFs should be downloaded to view correctly as fonts will change and images will not show up correctly in the browser preview.
Read Carl Grivakis's full review
March 08, 2016

Review: "Connect Across Teams and with Remote Workers with Box"

Box is used across the whole organization to make document sharing easier and for cloud storage of personal documents.
  • Very user friendly and easy to learn
  • Well organized
  • Easy sharing across teams
  • Helpful comment feature
  • It's not the most beautiful or modern looking tool
  • Search functionality isn't perfect; sometimes it can be easy to lose a document if it's not well organized
It's really helpful for medium sized organizations who would like to collaborate on documents and folders easily.
Read Nancy Ryerson's full review
September 30, 2015

Box Review: "Leader in cloud storage and collaboration, but they need to keep innovating and delighting customers to stay ahead of the competition"

We are using Box primarily as a sales portal to distribute sales and marketing collateral to our internal sales team and third-party brokers. Some sales managers also use Box to collaborate on content with their teams as well as share collateral with customers directly.

Several internal departments and teams are using Box as their central repository for storing and collaborating on content. We have not yet rolled out Box company-wide; interest in Box has spread mostly by word of mouth, so we have gradually deployed Box to the individuals and teams most eager to adopt it (as an alternative to SharePoint or internal shared network storage).
  • Box is available on every platform. The ability to access your Box content on any computer, smartphone, or tablet is a big win for our field sales team.
  • Box automatically versions every file with every saved change and makes it easy to review or roll back to previous versions. As a result, our users have broken their habit of maintaining multiple versions of their files with different version numbers or dates every time they make a change but want to retain previous versions.
  • Box integrates well with other cloud applications. For example, a cloud-based project management application we use lets you access Box documents within a project plan, so that we don't have to duplicate content across applications (the PM application simply maintains a link to the Box document, so you always have the latest version).
  • Box's original implementations of metadata and workflows were quite primitive and not all that useful. However, more robust versions of both are expected to be delivered in 2015, so I am eager to see whether we can make better use of these features.
  • Box's folder security design has one nagging limitation: Subfolders inherit all user permissions from their parent folders, and you can grant additional user access to subfolders, but you can never remove inherited permissions (that is, you cannot break permission inheritance). For example, you cannot set up a folder for a team of internal and external collaborators but maintain a single subfolder for confidential documents that you don't wish to share with external collaborators (i.e. stuff that would be for internal team members only). You would have to create such a folder outside the main team folder and assign unique permissions to it. This can lead to a proliferation of folders just to handle security exceptions.
  • Earlier this year, Box removed a user-friendly "Success and Training Corner" dedicated site and rolled all training content into their general support platform which is not as well organized. Training content is still there, but it's not presented as well. I understand why Box made this change, but it was a step backward in terms of onboarding new Box users and promoting customer success.
Box is great for the basic use case of storing and collaborating on content with an internal and external audience, and being able to easily access it anywhere.

I would like to use Box for more formal document control and as a digital asset management system, but with its current limitations with metadata and workflow, I don't see it as a suitable replacement for systems built for these more specialized functions.
Read Andrew Ellis's full review
December 17, 2014

Review: "Box is a great solution, but it isn't the end all cloud solution."

I currently use Box for both personal and business uses. I am currently the head of a Project Management Office and I use Box for a variety of items in that end. I provide project management templates and support documents via the Box account. This has made it easier that if someone is not on site (meaning they are either unable to VPN in or are unable to access the network drives for whatever reason) they are able to still access those templates they may need. Box also has higher security than other cloud based options so this has made it an easier decision as well.
  • Box is pretty standard when it comes to storage space and costs. Depending if you're going with a personal account or going with a business account, they are relatively in line with the market. Their Starter package is slightly more than Google Drive's entry level solution, however, Box is more secure so there is that trade off.
  • Security is becoming a big deal lately (Sony hack being an example) and is something you need in a cloud based solution. The thing I liked about Box was that my files weren't just encrypted while at rest (sitting on the main machine), but also while in transit (being synced). Other solutions don't provide both options mentioned or do it as well. There are far more secure solutions out there so if security is of the utmost, you may want to look into a service like Wuala.
  • A must in this day and age for any cloud based solution is the ability to sync across all of your devices and Box does this quite well. Whether you have a PC, Mac, Android, iPhone, tablet, Box is able to sync across all of them. This really brings convenience to the forefront and with the built in viewer, allows the ability to view what documents you want. The document isn't the best, but we'll touch base on that in the next section.
  • My biggest complaint with Box is easily their Box Sync application. They did come out with version 4 towards the beginning of 2014, but it was a step rather than a leap. The application (especially on PC and to a lesser extent, Android) is a memory hog. It takes large amount of resources and still has issues where it will lag or hang. Even with a higher end rig that I have at home, it still can constrain a system that has ample bandwidth.
  • Another issue I have that is with Box Sync, but not directly talking about the application's performance, is the internet speeds at which it syncs. I've looked into various ways to increase the download speeds of the application, but they are still very low when compared to other solutions out there. A Starter account has a 100GB limit for example and if you're setting up a new computer, or replacing an old one, get ready for the long haul. I've used download speeds ranging from 20Mbps to well above 10Gbps and the download rates are relatively the same. Downloading 100GB to a new main computer with a memory hog application was interesting, to say the least.
  • The last thing is really just a gripe more than anything else. It's nice they introduced the preview and even allow you to make some edits, but it would be nice to be able to directly change the files that you have. For example, you have a spreadsheet that you need to make a quick change to while you're out and about. Being able to jump into the app, open the file while in Box, make the change, and go about your day would be great. However, you are unable to effectively do that at this point. You'd need to open Box, download the file, edit the file (assuming you have Office Mobile or similar), upload the new change, and then go about your day. It adds needless steps and also requires the assumption you have an app that can make the edits you require.
The main thing I tell people is how secure do you need your files to be. That's really what separates Box from other solutions in their space. They aren't the most secure, but they aren't the least either. They are that good middle road solution. They are IT compliant in most cases and their admin options are more than adequate for a majority of businesses. If you need further security than what Box offers, then you'd be looking at a more specialized solution like a Wuala.
Read Sam Montoya, CSM's full review

Versioning (18)
Video files (22)
Audio files (20)
Document collaboration (23)
Access control (26)
File search (27)
Device sync (25)
User and role management (21)
File organization (27)