Box Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Aura Munguia Cepeda | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's been about a year since I started using Box. At the beginning the change was not easy since I was used to using Dropbox, but after having some problems with Dropbox (corrupt files, files were lost, I created a double folder, among several others) I decided to change. And as I don't like the Google Drive environment I decided to try the Box cloud to be able to share my work and files with my students, and so far everything is going well.
  • Its appearance is very tidy, everything is where it should be and even the combination of Box colors makes everything seem tidier. (I know maybe this is not important, but for me it was an important point to decide for Box and not for Drive.)
  • Loading files, while not the best, is quite fast and allows me to upload the files in just a few seconds.
  • The space in the cloud is very wide and in my case it is more than enough for me since I only upload text and PDF files.
  • The mobile version is easy to use, and I have no problem uploading files from my mobile, or editing files from the mobile.
  • When I started using Box, I found it less intuitive and less simple to use than Dropbox (maybe it was because I was already used to Dropbox), but the good thing is that it was only the initial shock, since after a few hours I was already using it no problem.
Box in my case works very well for me to share files and texts through a link with my students. I only choose what I want to share, copy the link and send them to their emails and each one can download the file just by clicking on the link. It is fantastic since so far I have not had any problem with the upload or download of text and PDF files.
Read Aura Munguia Cepeda's full review
Matt Emge | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our entire organization uses Box to manage our documents and multimedia for hundreds of current projects. We store client agreements, internal documents, project assets, presentations and more. It allows us to assign appropriate access levels and quickly find and open docs for review and editing. With the integration with our SSO, we use the passthrough login feature along with our other apps.
  • It maintains a large number of files and makes then easy to find and organize
  • It allows us to collaborate on editing a doc and maintain a single version with the latest changes
  • It provides previews of most files so we can quickly check the content without having to download
  • It could have a simpler interface with fewer clicks to accomplish a task
  • It could offer live editing without having to download the doc
It is well suited to managing the documentation requirements for a small to large organization that need to maintain files of all types. It is great at version management so that only the latest version is available. It would not be appropriate for minimal documentation at a small or tiny company where access levels, editing and version management is not required.
Read Matt Emge's full review
Stephen Wittmaak | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Think Inside the Box!

Box is used when working with creative agencies to review, collaborate, and store large file sizes securely.
  • Handles large uploads well.
  • Safe and secure storage.
  • Syncs files over a desktop with ease.
  • Fewer clicks to get from login to share.
  • More 3rd party implementation.
  • More feature-rich free version.
Large video files and RAW camera files, large creative and design documents are what Box handles best.
Read Stephen Wittmaak's full review
Maddie Sedgwick | TrustRadius Reviewer
The Box is being used company-wide and we are a happy customer ever since it has been implemented in our company. We use it as a content-sharing platform. It is fast, simple and reliable cloud storage. The major use of Box in our company is to share confidential files within the company and with our remote teams. We can upload files on Box and our resources can view and download them from anywhere.
  • We can share files via the generated link in a single click.
  • Box recommended to upload/Download large files.
  • It supports all the major platforms.
  • Box's strong data encryption provides the best protection to our files.
  • We haven't received any complaints regarding the operations of Box from any of the user in our company. That is why we kept Box and never thought to replace it with any other solutions in the market.
Box works splendidly and we haven't encountered any issues so far. It is well-suited for all size businesses. We can upload large files up to 1-3gb easily, which saves a lot of time which we could have been spending in splitting those files. Overall, our experience is wonderful and we would highly recommend it to other businesses, who are looking for a trouble-free content-sharing solution.
Read Maddie Sedgwick's full review
Tony Phan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Box is used as a shared drive in my organization where everyone can share internal documents and files easily without the risk of exposing critical information to external parties. It is used across the organization and creates an environment where everyone can easily share files in just one click.
  • Getting the link to share files instantly in a single click.
  • Folder management features are just like in your PC or laptop and thus very easy to use.
  • Ability to enable editing for multiple users.
  • Editing Excel words directly through the web-based app.
  • Mobile apps that allow the editing of PowerPoint files on the go.
Box is very useful if you need to share a file with multiple users. Let's say your organization has more than 5000 employees, which can make it hard to share things over email. In addition, you can easily control what could be shared and what should not be shared with external parties in Box.
Read Tony Phan's full review
Our Sales department, which I supported from the Marketing side, used Box to store high-importance documents related to contracts and renewals, as well as the actual contract documents themselves. Because of the sensitive and important nature of these documents, having a specialized service such as Box was desirable over a free but less secure+reliable option like Google Drive.
  • Clean, (mostly) intuitive UI contributes to ease of navigation.
  • Creates persistent, sharable links.
  • Some Excel files don't preview well, especially with complex formatting.
Box satisfactorily performs all of the basic tasks required of a cloud storage solution, for the most part, as well or better than the basic free offerings such as Google Drive and much more reliably than Microsoft SharePoint. However, I think the only reason we elected to pay for a subscription service rather than use one of these free solutions comes down to security around our sensitive contract documents. If the use case in question were one with lower stakes, I'd recommend Google Drive for being able to perform the same functions but without requiring employees to sign into a different service.
September 24, 2019

Box review

Our organization uses Box to store reports and documents, as well as share across teams. It helps us share files among multiple teams and users, create separate folders and sections per team, organize files and limit and give access to different levels of users as needed. We also sync it with our personal folders and easily upload/download files.
  • Syncing with personal folders makes it very easy to upload/save/download shares docs and files
  • Creating folders with different permission levels helps share appropriate files with different team members and audiences
  • Each user can save files in Box, instead of overwhelming their personal folders on personal machines
  • Viewing reports in Box is almost impossible, because the preview functionality is very outdated
  • Finding folders in Box is not easy, as the breadcrumbs do not link to interim folders, but only start and end points
  • sometimes Sync fails and has to be rebooted to make sure users have the latest versions of files in their personal folders
Box works very well to share files and large reports with teams. It's a great backup, but may not be the best tool to use as a primary storage for company files.
I ended up using Box because one of the vendors we work with required it to upload and share large creative files. Their organization had tight restrictions on attachment sizes via email, so using box was their way around it. I hadn't heard of the software prior to that, but it has been easy and intuitive to use.
  • Easy to use interface makes uploading and accessing shared files easily.
  • Simple account set up is great for using with external companies.
  • Large files are easy to upload, replace, share, download, etc. This is great when you deal with larger design files that need to be used for advertising or other purposes.
  • Box is not as common as Dropbox and the names can be confusing to some people.
  • Could do a better job of encouraging people to get more use out of the platform.
When you need to collaborate and share large files, Box is a great solution. This is particularly useful for marketers, advertisers, event planners, or publishers that may need to share large files externally. The system can also be used for collaborating when changes need to be made to the same document.
Tyler Grudowski | TrustRadius Reviewer
My company uses Box for all file storage. It is like Google Drive, but even better. It does such a fantastic job of integrating into your computer, whether you have a Mac or a PC. We have people that are working with us all across the United States, so Box allows us to share files with them from one place, and they can then view/download them in another.
  • Box's integration into your computer's ecosystem is fantastic. It lets you seamlessly share files via Box from all different applications, both Windows and Mac.
  • It is great how little battery power Box uses, even when continuously syncing your files between your computer and the cloud.
  • It is great that Box has an application that you can download to your computer that integrates into your "My Computer" or "Finder" application and keeps all of your files local on your computer as well.
  • The local application sometimes times out on you unknowingly, so you have to check periodically that it is still running and syncing your data.
  • I wish Box had a way of accessing your online portal without first going to the website and clicking through a few pages in order to get to where you need to go to access your files online.
  • It would be nice if there were a few more of the Box features included in the free version, or at least be able to get a free trial of them. Box makes so many cool softwares that would be nice to have for productivity.
Box is great for uploading pretty much any file type and sharing it between people, computers, locations, anything. The file upload process is seamless, especially when you download the local file application. There is no longer a need to attach 10 different files to an email, you can now just tell them what folder they are in on Box, and they can be found easily.
Read Tyler Grudowski's full review
burt smith | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 05, 2019

Box, a great alternative

Almost a year ago, Box was implemented as an official platform to store, protect, and share important company files. Previously we used another platform for the same purpose, but the space in the cloud was not enough, there were errors when several users accessed a folder at the same time. Once an error occurred in a folder and an automatic duplication was created that not everyone could enter (the truth never knew what happened), but with Box we can all enter at the same time without any problem, make changes, upload files, modify others, and so far everything has worked wonders. In addition, Box has the advantage that its environment is well-prepared, giving the impression of better professionalism (which is very good for the business). It should also be noted that everything is very well-ordered, so the different folders are where they should be and the files are automatically sorted alphabetically, helping even more with organization.
  • In the business version, you have unlimited storage space in the cloud, so you never have to worry about the amount of files you upload, or buy more space in the cloud.
  • You can have an unlimited number of users making use of the same cloud, which is very good because it does not limit you to having to give priorities within the work group.
  • Box has data protection and file encryption, so you can protect your relevant information.
  • The web and mobile versions work excellently and very fast, both for entering your account and uploading files, and that is a very important factor since it allows you to work or review files from anywhere without having any problem.
  • The truth is that so far we are all very happy with Box. I have read from users who have had some "files in conflicts" problems when two or more users try to work on the same document, but that is something that seems to happen in all cloud systems and you just have to be careful to avoid two people occupying the same file.
Box is an excellent product for cloud-based content management. You can access an unlimited amount of space in the cloud, which is always a good thing because you can store all the data you want regardless of whether files weigh 2mb or 1gb. In addition, Box allows you to upload quite large files (in the Business version, up to 5gb), allowing savings in time since you only have to load the files and you do not have to worry about dividing them up or uploading them by parts or one by one.
Read burt smith's full review
Jonah Dempcy | TrustRadius Reviewer
The whole organization uses Box for centralized filesharing of everything from technical specs, customer deliveries, files provided by customers, application assets, and all the way to business development plans and internal business documents. Box helps us to have a convenient, single point of storage for anything we might need, as well as to create a simple hierarchy where we can access company assets at a glance. Its UI allows us to easily locate as well as store all the files we need.
  • The Box UI is very easy to use. I personally like to sort by Recent, where I am able to easily view the folders for currently-open projects.
  • Box makes it easy to share files with those outside of the organization, so we use it for customer deliveries.
  • The Box access-control model is quite good and makes it easy to have tiers of access control to files.
  • Box has a bubbly UI that doesn't seem as serious, sleek, or "cool" as it could be.
  • Sometimes I have to perform extra clicks when I want to just have a single button, like sharing a link to a file with someone outside the organization.
  • Box is locked into the classic file explorer method of file management. I would prefer the option of alternate views such as tag-based file management as well.
Box is great if you are looking for something that emulates a virtual hard drive. Files are stored in folders just like you would find on any file system. The experience of using Box is very similar to having a network-enabled hard drive array that all the users on your network can access. There are a few extra features that you get with Box, such as granular access control, and of course web access and web links, but overall it is a very similar experience to using a standard hard drive filesystem. Box is well-suited for document storage and retrieval, and perhaps less-suited for more complex use cases where you need to associate more metadata with files, such as for purposes of issue tracking or shared assets on multimedia projects.
Read Jonah Dempcy's full review
Eric Thorsteinson | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Box to transfer files safely and securely between our outside call centers and our carriers. It's very important for us to have access to a good file transfer portal to use for our call centers to be able to upload enrollment call recordings to use on a daily basis. We needed something that could handle large amounts of data and do it securely. We found that in Box!
  • We are able to send and receive large amounts of data very quickly and safely with Box. They have a very easy to use platform for us to share with our outside call centers and help them gain access to their folders in which they upload files and we then download them.
  • Box is set up for the purpose of allowing companies like ours to move large amounts of data between other companies safely, securely, and quickly. That's very important for compliance in our field of business.
  • They are very good with helping train and answer any questions we have very quickly. They are there to help and are good at it!
  • They could add more ways to move the data between companies. The sync system could be a little bit better. I think they are going to continue to improve and keep getting better.
  • I am not able to think of any other ways they could improve right now. They are very good at what they do now.
Box is a great product to use for our purpose of transferring large amounts of data between our outside call centers and carriers. They allow for large transfers without any delays or slowdowns. They have a good system in place to help us with creating new folders for new call centers and getting them up and running very quickly and smoothly.
Read Eric Thorsteinson's full review
Jeffrey Mesch | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our institution uses Box just on an individual and as-needed basis. We pay per user. It is basically used as a second level of cloud backup for critical data, beyond what we store in the cloud with our primary cloud storage provider. We use it as secondary due to its ease of use and reliability.
  • Easy to use.
  • Edit files right within the interface.
  • Sync-ing is trivial.
  • Box is an innovator in the field.
  • Price negotiation/flexibility.
  • Room for better integration with Google.
  • Very poor at understanding my institution's specific needs.
Box is a great cloud storage provider if you want to go with them institution-wide. They could definitely play better with both Microsoft and Google, and I still believe that long-term either Microsoft or Google will buy Box.
The team at Box is not very understanding of small organizations like mine. They would not listen to my needs and instead forced their standard agenda on me, trying to make us fit into the same mold as every other institution. That's never going to work for me.
Read Jeffrey Mesch's full review
Box is used across the whole organization to store and share the specific project related documents, artworks, images, etc. There are different Box accounts set up to each and every department as the number of users are high. Box basically allows the team to store, access and update the required files in a systematic way. The folder and file structure makes users to navigate through files very easily. And there is no risk of losing data compared to locally stored data in individuals personal computers.
  • Box is capable of storing data in a systematic and more organized way. Folder structure and file structure of Box really makes a huge difference compared to other similar platforms.
  • Simple and easy to understand BOX tools and controls lead new users to get familiar with it very easily and quickly.
  • High level of security and different access levels such as Viewer, Editor, etc make sure the data stored is protected.
  • Different themes of the interface could come in handy to make the platform more personalized.
  • Copy, Paste and Delete sort of tools can be arranged in a more professional way.
  • Adding the capability of modifying the tools arrangement in tools bars would make the sure experience more interesting.
If you are working in an organization where teamwork is a regular practice, then Box makes the file storing and sharing among the team much more effective. Since it's cloud-based, there is no worry of losing the data. And it allows the users to access data on the go using computers or smartphones.
The whole organization encourages the use of Box because it is HIPAA-compliant and user-friendly.
  • Box's HIPAA-compliance
  • Box's ease of use - it just syncs automatically and you don't have to worry about it
  • Box's versatility across multiple devices
  • I don't have many issues with Box. There was a rollout of a Box Sync versus Drive thing that confused me, and I suppose IT could have done that more smoothly.
It is really well-suited if you're working across multiple devices! The syncing is so easy and you can edit in either the web browser or in your normal Microsoft Office application.
Vin Campbell | TrustRadius Reviewer
I own and operate a small IT consulting firm, and I was a very early adopter of the Box cloud offering back when they first started. I was actually grandfathered in with about 25GB of free space, so I've never had the need to upgrade to a paid plan. I think it's fair that I preempt that. Rather than list a problem, I'll just describe how I use Box, and why I've stayed with them. I use Box as the primary repository for client related files, and the general upload spot for use by me when in the field for files and utilities that I need or get from my clients. I also use it with trusted external parties that I collaborate with on client projects. It fits the bill nicely - even at the non-paid version - for my needs.
  • Very easy to use with an intuitive website and desktop sync client
  • Mobile apps afford the ability to access the account and files form virtually anywhere
  • Paid versions have unlimited file sizes and types
  • Nice integrations with 3rd party apps
  • Offline sync client needs updating to allow for more selective folder and file syncing
  • Windows sync client updates quite often - not a bad thing, but also not automatic
  • At the free level, I'd like to see the online only option... Right now, there's no way to tell that files actually synced!
Box is a very good general use cloud drive that has made some major strides in compliance across many various industry branches. Multinational companies could benefit greatly from using Box as their cloud solution because of their commitment to compliance and all of the new regulations. Box is also suited for integrations into many platforms - including Office 365, Google Apps and even Salesforce. I would still have to say that Office 365 users would benefit more from using the baked in OneDrive - which has really good compliance features too...
Read Vin Campbell's full review
Dave Becker | TrustRadius Reviewer
December 07, 2018

The King of Cloud Storage

We used Box across our company to upload and store files on the cloud. We are able to give access to certain folders to certain individuals or teams which allows for privacy. Once an individual has access to a file or folder, we can share links with them that they can use to access from anywhere. We were also able to update files in one spot and all existing links to that file brought users to the updated file.
  • Very easy to upload files, just drag and drop. It makes it really easy to train people to use it and you can let your files upload in the background.
  • Tons of storage space available depending on the type of account you have. We store a lot of photos and videos on Box and they take up a lot of space, so having a lot of available space was a must for us.
  • Permissions settings are easy to set up and keep your files secure.
  • The accounts can be a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
  • Figuring out how to create an alias of a file or folder was very difficult to do, in my opinion.
  • Box Sync, the desktop app for Box, can really slow down your computer if you're not aware that it's running.
If you have many files as my company does (we had well over 100k files uploaded to Box) this is a great tool to have. Searching for specific files is really easy, and creating folders to help organize them is simple. We needed the ability to store a lot of files online and we were given a terabyte of online storage, so we were pretty happy. If you don't need that much space, there are less expensive options that work just as well.
Read Dave Becker's full review
Mohamed Ansary | TrustRadius Reviewer
Box is being used by my organization on a daily basis for sending and sharing files and folders. Inviting "collaborators" for a shared file helps a lot and saves time. Box allows us to invite collaborators even from outside the organization. A great benefit. Also, "get shared link" is another advantage to Box. We have complete access and control over our materials. Finally, the idea of "owner" or "viewer" makes Box on the top of any other competitive software such as Dropbox.
  • You can be the owner of the file or folder. You decide who can be a contributor or just a viewer to your files or folders.
  • The Box App that can be downloaded on the desktop is a great benefit. It makes it easier to upload any big files or folders.
  • A very easy and simple interface.
  • The option on the right hand side to choose either to synchronize to Desktop or not is amazing.
  • No document editor. Box should have its own editor.
  • Price is high.
  • Tech Support needs to improve.
Working collaboratively on a project with my colleagues is very easy. The task management is a great feature. I also like the integration of the desktop. I was first confused how to use the desktop app but step by step it became easy.
Read Mohamed Ansary's full review
We use Box to store our work and share folders across groups. It makes it easy to provide access or share a file or make a resource available to a big group of people.
  • File storage.
  • File sharing using links.
  • Adding notes to files.
  • It is difficult to collaborate with non- box users. People largely use Dropbox or Google Drive.
  • The desktop version freezes over at times and seems a bit slow in launching compared to other apps.
  • The previews are a bit slow to load on apps.
Box is well suited for password protected sharing of sensitive information via cloud. Other cloud applications such as Google Drive are better suited for personal use.
We use Box to upload media to our owners and affiliates. It helps us stay organized and share media quickly.
  • Connect with users
  • Share media quickly
  • N/A
Box is appropriate if you work in a fast paced environment that requires you to share, upload, and collaborate on large media files efficiently and quickly.
Vittoria Anderson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work as an ERP/CRM consultant. In several companies, I've linked Box to NetSuite.
Box should enable the user to quickly attach files to NetSuite transactions.
  • Store files
  • Worst customer service I've ever experienced. Purchased box numerous times - this time for a smaller company. From the start there were issues with integration to NetSuite. After 65 days we gave up dealing with customer service due to their inability to resolve the issues and absolute commitment to not talking to the customer except by email. So annoying to receive an email at 4 am, respond to it and then wait 24+ hours for a reply that still doesn't address the issue.
  • Don't have any support outside of US. Good luck trying to get support in your time zone if you live in Australia or the APac region. Even if support was available - its terrible.
  • Once box has your money, you're on your own - don't count on their "support" for any support.
  • When box works, it's fine, but it's a real hassle and resource intensive, client side if you have any issues wiht the product or want to make any changes.
Never use Box with NetSuite or integrate box with another product. Their integration is glitchy. If something goes wrong, Box does not have qualified support in place to deal with issues - your on your own....without access to fix most integration issues.
Read Vittoria Anderson's full review
Box is used in my organization as our file sharing tool. We regularly use this for storing team files, training content, team notes, etc, in just about every part of our organization. Simply say that, without Box, we would have no way to share files which would prevent us from doing business in many ways.
  • It's SUPER easy to create a folder, add content (drag and drop being the best option for me), and share it. Box used to be limited for our org where you had to add individual users (by email or name lookup) which took a very long time if there were hundreds of users that need access. But now box has the option to use link sharing with a setting for "People in your company" which now makes sharing a folder a snap if you just need to give people access to download the files. That's one of our most common use cases, so this is an awesome feature!
  • Box notes! I am a heavy user of another note-taking tool, mainly because Box notes was too simple of an interface for my preferences. But, it looks like Box notes has been updated pretty recently and now this part of the tool is filled with great features, like pre-built templates for many different use cases (e.g., project plan, meeting agenda, etc) and they have simple UI upgrades that make Box notes so much easier to use, like the "Inbox" which shows unread notes at top. This feature is awesome for sharing notes on a project, meeting, etc. with many different users and keeping them organized. Because this feature had such a great upgrade, I'm migrating all my note taking from the other tool into Box notes.
  • Box Sync is a nice feature and a large part of our organization uses this instead of file backup software. For example, if we have files we want to have backed up, we simply store and edit these files within the Box sync folder on our PCs and that folder backs up to our Box cloud account. Simple and easy!
  • Folder organization on folders that have been shared with me is kind of a pain. There's no way to move a folder shared with me into another folder without being an editor, and if I am an editor it changes the location for everyone who can access the folder. Some kind of personalized folder organization would really improve this situation because currently, the only way to find folders is by the search bar, or by sorting, or by adding to favorites (which would become unusable with too many favorites). The ratio of folders shared with me to folders I own is easily 5:1, so these options for locating folders are not good enough. This is especially a pain if just a sub-folder is shared with me because the owner of the folder might have organized it really well but the sub-folder could have a seemingly obscure name that's hard to remember and hard to find if I am searching for it later.
  • Sharing could still be improved. I mentioned earlier in my review that I now have the option to use like sharing with everyone in my org (with download only capability) and that's a huge advantage over sharing with individual email addresses which were all we had before. This still leaves some middle ground for bulk sharing with multiple emails/users, through something like a file upload containing the emails, or creating a group that could be used multiple times. I don't know the best way to do this but it's definitely still a gap.
  • As will all of my reviews, please take this with a grain of salt because it's possible some features have been customized or removed from my organization. All I can review is what I can see.
  • They are missing some channel for product feedback. Once again, this could be something suppressed by my organization, but with a product like Box, I'd expect to see some kind of method for sharing feedback on the product like the issue with the organization of folders limiting the usability (feedback links on web-based platforms are becoming quite common). But when I search around their site I don't find a method for sharing feedback or product ideas. The only thing I found was a "Contact Box" link which took me to a contact the sales team form. Not useful for this purpose.
Any type of file sharing is where you'd want to use Box, including local storage that's backed up to the cloud using your Box Sync folder. Some situations where it might not be appropriate would be for sharing intellectual property, or export controlled information. We have some restrictions in my org prohibiting the use of Box for those purposes. This is probably on a case by case basis depending on your company.

One scenario where I strongly encourage the use of Box is for collaboration on projects, both for file sharing (e.g., building content with multiple stakeholders) as well as sharing notes and project plans via the aforementioned Box Notes functionality. We still do too much through email alone so we often have issues with version control and certain team members being out of the loop on a conversation. Using Box and Box Notes for file sharing and planning notes, etc. would go a long way to mitigate problems like this.
We use Box as a file collaboration tool in the office for pursuits and on the job while building the work. It is a great collaboration tools and allows instant access to the most recent files. Everyone has the information at their fingertips whether it be in the office on their computer or on the job on their mobile phone. No more excuses for not having the most up to date files.
  • Great Search Functionality - not only searching the document titles, but within the documents themselves.
  • Syncing and file access is Fast!
  • It is easy and intuitive to use. It doesn't take a lot of training.
  • It would be great if Box could add granular permissions for file access.
  • Printing can be difficult.
  • Box Edit could be refined a little more for locked documents. It is easy to mistakenly create duplicate files.
Sharing files among people in different offices and companies.
Box was formerly used at my organization to share large files between teammates and to back up student work from our live lessons.
  • Allows file sharing of large objects that cannot be emailed
  • Storage for items that don't need to stay on one's hard drive
  • User-friendly operation and setup
  • Free Box had a limit to which we could use it
  • We wanted it to be fully web-based and not have desktop software
I think it is fine for small groups or individuals, or for emailing large file attachments that do not need to be permanently saved. I don't think it is the best choice for large groups where lots of files are being shared.
Benjamin Hale | TrustRadius Reviewer
January 19, 2018

Box just works.

Box is used throughout our organization as our main cloud-based storage and backup solution. All systems have Box Sync installed on them and includes the Desktop and Documents folders within Windows. This allows users to jump between computers, in the office and off-site, and have their important files be readily available to access.

Our department regularly uses our Box shared drives to help share reports and creative files. We simply place the file in the shared directory, and in a few seconds, the other user can see it on their system.
  • Box sync is convenient and effortless. This allows cloud files to live on your desktop as well as in the cloud.
  • Sharing folders has been a lifesaver for our department. In some cases, the files we have are much larger than an email or chat system can handle. We can essentially share a drive with others and not worry about file size limits.
  • Folder sharing goes even further with the ability to share a folder or files with people outside of the company and provide permissions for editing and reading.
  • With our business account, we can use the same Windows AD logins to access our Box accounts.
  • Box has built support for multiple platforms, including obscure or minimally used operating systems. I can even get it on my BlackBerry tablet from 2008.
  • The Box API has been a bit more difficult that we had presumed. There are great examples for Ruby users, but we are PHP team. There were cURL instructions, and that is what we ended up using.
  • When using the web interface, it is easy to overlook the pagination in directories with many files. I have had situations where I thought something was broken with the sync program just to find that the file I was looking for was on page 2. Even the list view limits items to 20 per page.
Box works with so many platforms and provides an easy solution for cloud based storage. While there are some issues we run into, they are infrequent and usually minor. We have found the API setup to be problem-some from time to time, but we use the basic features of Box daily and are happy with the results.
Read Benjamin Hale's full review

Versioning (35)
Video files (37)
Audio files (34)
Document collaboration (41)
Access control (46)
File search (46)
Device sync (43)
User and role management (39)
File organization (46)
Device management (35)
Performance (46)
Reliability (46)
Storage Reports (25)

About Box

Box is an online file-sharing, storage and collaboration service provider that caters to individual users as well as businesses.

Box Integrations