Box Reviews

TrustRadius Top Rated for 2019

Heather Miller | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 06, 2020

Box makes your work life easier and more streamlined

Box is being used across our entire organization, and it has helped our department immensely to keep everything organized and easy to access from anyone/anywhere. We're able to share links with people and they can access large files instantly, which helps to not bog down emails with large file sizes. The use of Box Sync or Box Drive allows you to work on files directly in the cloud, so you don't have to continuously re-download the same file if someone else edits it. We even use Box to archive our finished projects, so we can access them in future years to update.
  • Ease of sharing - extremely important when multiple people/departments are working on the same project.
  • Ease of access - Box can be accessed via the web or by the cloud (Box Sync, Box Drive) so you can access your files even on computers you don't regularly use.
  • Occasional outages - sometimes there are blips in the system and the website version cannot be accessed, but this is usually resolved in an hour.
  • Photos don't display metadata - when we considered using Box to primarily store all our photos, we had to go with another separate product for photos because of the lack of metadata searchability. You can add keywords in box, but when a photo already has that information it's a shame it doesn't integrate it to search easier.
Box is fantastic if you want to work on a file from multiple computers. You can use a work computer to start, go home and finish on your home computer - and if you have the cloud apps you don't even have to download the files each time. You can work directly in the cloud and the file is automatically updated across all devices.

Box is not well suited for Digital Asset Management. Searching for photos only works if your search terms are in the title of the image, and it doesn't allow for searching in the metadata/keywords/description.
Read Heather Miller's full review
Robyn Mankoski | TrustRadius Reviewer
March 03, 2020

Box! Organize Your Company!

Box is being used across the whole organization. Any important files or documents are uploaded on there in folders and then shared with our entire Corporate and Management team. It serves as a central location for us to find files we may need from day-to-day. It helps everyone stay more organized and not have to go searching numerous places for a document.
  • Very organized.
  • Ease of use.
  • Unlimited space.
  • I haven't found many cons.
  • You have to set up sharing correctly.
  • It really is very easy to use.
Box is well suited for large organizations that need a central place to store important documents. These documents can then be shared with everyone in the organization or just a select few people. Where it would be less appropriate is if only 1 person needed access. It really is better for larger organizations instead of sending out mass emails.
Read Robyn Mankoski's full review
Rob Gokee | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 28, 2020

Box: Premiere File Storage & Sharing App

I use Box to transfer files to and from clients, including music libraries that use my music in television shows, so it’s a vital part of my income and business strategy. Box allows me to work with people all over the world without leaving my studio in Los Angeles--and with great upload speeds and storage.
  • Cost effective
  • Frequent updates
  • Great service
  • App could be a bit more robust
  • I wish they had higher presence in my industry
I often work with filmmakers and producers across the globe, and Box enables me to receive video and send audio files without leaving my desk, which makes my business money and promotes repeat business. File transfer & storage software is a vital tool to my business. I wouldn’t be able to survive without it, and Box is a leader of that industry.
Read Rob Gokee's full review
Kristin Cole | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 27, 2020

Great Cloud Solutions for Small Teams!

At our company, we use Box to manage our sensitive files. We use another cloud server for our day-to-day documents but needed a separate account/location where we keep our files that we do not want our employees to have access to. Since we could only have one location of our other platform, Box was the perfect solution. We use Box on two desktop computers and 2 mobile devices.
  • Syncs quickly across devices.
  • Allows for a variety of organizational methods for files and folders.
  • Allows for multiple device integration.
  • Has the ability to login through the internet or access files on your computer or mobile device.
  • Various pricing plans to meet needs based on space and users.
  • Needs a quick link to see attached devices.
Box is an amazing platform - the more I have used it, the more I like it! It is well suited for personal and/or business use. It works well for small companies with teams less than 20. I feel it may be hard to manager for large teams that all need to access the same files. External collaborators are a great feature for teams - allowing selective access to folders as needed. The cost is very reasonable!
Read Kristin Cole's full review
Billy Barker | TrustRadius Reviewer
February 26, 2020

Box keeps my workday in sync and my precious design files secure

Our company uses Box across the entire organization as our primary file storage and file sharing service. Box makes it easy to access, share, and backup files because everything is securely stored in the cloud. Previously we all used external hard drives which was not as reliable and from an organizational standpoint not secure and not effective.
  • Box Sync. This is my favorite feature because I can keep all my design files locally on my computer so they are quick to open and save, but also automatically synced to Box so I don't have to manually upload them or back them up.
  • Sharing Permissions. I like the level of sharing permissions that allow us to change shared links between people in our company only, or those with the link. Additionally the sharing permissions for folders is simple and allows me to share only what it needed with specific co-workers instead of sharing everything, which I don't want.
  • Box Sync for External Hard Drives. I keep all my local design files on an external running hard drive and use that drive as my default Box folder. By design, this is not how Box is configured to work or wants to work. It took me awhile to get it to work, but I do lose some features. It would be nice if Box could consider updating Box Sync to also work fully with external drives.
Box has become a part of my everyday work life and I rely on it to perform my job, so I definitely recommend it to others that need cloud file storage. I've used Dropbox for Business and Google Drive for personal use and I think the Box is the best out of those for business use. I wasn't involved in purchasing so I'm not aware of the cost, but if it's affordable it's a no-brainer for any size business.
Read Billy Barker's full review
Abigale Wilson | TrustRadius Reviewer

A Nice Tidy Box

Box is used across the whole organization. We have departments around the world and everyone can access it making it easy to share information that doesn't get lost in transit. It's a convenient place to store files that several employees can access at the same time. It's easy to organize and upload information to Box as well.
  • Easy to upload files.
  • Easy to keep organized.
  • Improve the folder thumbnail image by making it customizable.
  • Make "Trash" easier to navigate too, I don't like that I have to go into "More Actions".
Box is well suited to share files within large companies. If not all the employees work under the same roof it's very helpful to keep everyone on the same page using Box. It's particularly nice that each folder is time-stamped when it was last worked on, and by who. It makes it easy when you are waiting on something or want to know when you last worked on something.
Read Abigale Wilson's full review
Daniel Berry | TrustRadius Reviewer

A Great File-Sharing Solution for Remote Employees

As the editor of a blog with 500,000+ views per month and a team of several freelance writers (who submit both articles and photos), file-sharing is important. Box makes it easy to collaborate with these writers on the cloud and doesn't take up much of my valuable time. The writers simply share a link and I'm able to download files without having to depend on spotty email file sharing or waiting on lengthy load times. Box is a great resource for my department.
  • Easy to use.
  • Convenient.
  • Direct download link would be appreciated.
  • Reduce number of clicks.
Box is well-suited for situations like mine, where you're dealing with a team of remote freelancers. Box is ideal for remote teams or anywhere where teams aren't working directly together in the same office. It's also ideal for companies dealing with digital files. It may not be appropriate for teams that require close collaboration or those that deal with physical files, however.
Read Daniel Berry's full review
Aura Munguia Cepeda | TrustRadius Reviewer
November 11, 2019

A positive change and a good investment

It's been about a year since I started using Box. At the beginning the change was not easy since I was used to using Dropbox, but after having some problems with Dropbox (corrupt files, files were lost, I created a double folder, among several others) I decided to change. And as I don't like the Google Drive environment I decided to try the Box cloud to be able to share my work and files with my students, and so far everything is going well.
  • Its appearance is very tidy, everything is where it should be and even the combination of Box colors makes everything seem tidier. (I know maybe this is not important, but for me it was an important point to decide for Box and not for Drive.)
  • Loading files, while not the best, is quite fast and allows me to upload the files in just a few seconds.
  • The space in the cloud is very wide and in my case it is more than enough for me since I only upload text and PDF files.
  • The mobile version is easy to use, and I have no problem uploading files from my mobile, or editing files from the mobile.
  • When I started using Box, I found it less intuitive and less simple to use than Dropbox (maybe it was because I was already used to Dropbox), but the good thing is that it was only the initial shock, since after a few hours I was already using it no problem.
Box in my case works very well for me to share files and texts through a link with my students. I only choose what I want to share, copy the link and send them to their emails and each one can download the file just by clicking on the link. It is fantastic since so far I have not had any problem with the upload or download of text and PDF files.
Read Aura Munguia Cepeda's full review
Matt Emge | TrustRadius Reviewer
October 22, 2019

Box delivers quality doc management for managing hundreds of projects at once.

Our entire organization uses Box to manage our documents and multimedia for hundreds of current projects. We store client agreements, internal documents, project assets, presentations and more. It allows us to assign appropriate access levels and quickly find and open docs for review and editing. With the integration with our SSO, we use the passthrough login feature along with our other apps.
  • It maintains a large number of files and makes then easy to find and organize
  • It allows us to collaborate on editing a doc and maintain a single version with the latest changes
  • It provides previews of most files so we can quickly check the content without having to download
  • It could have a simpler interface with fewer clicks to accomplish a task
  • It could offer live editing without having to download the doc
It is well suited to managing the documentation requirements for a small to large organization that need to maintain files of all types. It is great at version management so that only the latest version is available. It would not be appropriate for minimal documentation at a small or tiny company where access levels, editing and version management is not required.
Read Matt Emge's full review
February 29, 2020

Think and Collaborate Inside the Box

Box is used company-wide to share and collaborate on research projects, education-related documents, and work assignments. Many projects involve multiple employees and require the input of multiple people. Box is a very easy-to-use resource that permits this level of teamwork to occur. Each employee has access to their own Box account,
  • Seamless integration with Microsoft Office. Users can upload any Microsoft document (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and share it with other users. From the Box, one can access Microsoft online which allows the user to make changes and have them update in real-time within the Box.
  • Simple and easy to organize. Box has reasonable customization options while not overwhelming the average user. It is easy to organize files and share entire folders or individual documents with other employees.
  • Secure. Box can be integrated into a company's secure log-in service such as a two-factor authentication requirement.
  • There have been times when changes are made to an online Microsoft Excel sheet, for example, and the modifications aren't immediately reflected in the Box version of the document. This has been rare but has occurred nonetheless.
  • This is not necessarily a drawback but users should be aware that in order to edit a Microsoft file, for example, they must open the Box file and then make one extra step to open this document on the Microsoft Online website.
Box is well suited for projects on which a smaller handful of individuals are working on the same project at the same time. I can imagine that for files that require the input of many individuals, Box file editing and sharing may run slower than desirable. Box will help seamlessly integrate desktop applications like Microsoft Office with online editing and collaboration capability.
February 27, 2020

Box it up and send it out. Simple.

I use Box to share and receive large design and backup files with my clients. I get the occasional client that hasn't implemented a reliable and easy way to send/receive large files. Box solves that problem. The ease of use and free individual plan is enough reason for me to recommend Box to these clients.
  • Free Individual tier with a 10GB capacity.
  • Box Sync application that makes it easy to drag/drop files.
  • Poor login error messaging when Box Sync stopped working - "Reason (7)".
  • Poor support documentation for my error "Reason (7)".
Box is a good application for large file sharing. The Box Sync app works fine the majority of the time. I experienced a login issue that gave me a useless error message "Reason (7)". The Box Community support website search for this error resulted in a confusing, overly technical answer, that did not provide steps to a resolution. I downloaded the Box Sync application again. This solved the problem.
March 19, 2020

Box Makes Sharing Easy

Box is used for document sharing and storing around the globe. It allows us to save space on our individual hard drives and gives us a central space to work together. Version control is a great feature. Being able to go back and see work that has been done when completing projects with different team members is a big plus. It also provides a way to go back if new work isn't going in the right direction.

The share features are excellent as well. The ability to set multiple view profiles and control who can see or do what within a specific folder allows us to have central locations for common documents.
  • Sharing.
  • Revision Control.
  • Permissions.
  • Folders.
  • Online editing.
  • Desktop versioning.
Box is a great platform for document storing and sharing. It's simple and quick to use. It works best when new teams are created and there is a project we are all working on together. Items are name, date, and time-stamped so it's easy to see who is doing what. It's great to be able to easily see what version a document is on right on the main folder screen as well as the last uploader.

Box has added some new protections to try and prevent multiple people working on the same document at the same time without knowing, but I have yet to test them out. That has been an issue in the past that has led to some weird file uploads where now there are multiple saves of the same document, but the bright side is that the documents are still saved and work isn't lost.
March 04, 2020

A great starter pack for budding businesses and smaller groups

We use Box for our lab research group to share our results and code. Our systems have lab sync installed, and we make sure we're using the synced folders when saving files. This ensures that even if something goes wrong with our systems or if someone had to leave the group abruptly, nothing is lost.
  • Automatic File Sync
  • User-Friendly Web Interface
  • High availability and reliability
  • Box Sync desktop interface could be improved further.
  • New users often find it challenging to learn how to add/remove folders from sync.
  • Permission settings are also a bit difficult to understand.
When it comes to managing files within a small group, Box seems to work very well. The options given are similar to how OneDrive and Google Drive File Streamworks. However, as the number of users grows, it seems that Drive File Stream is a bit more user-friendlier, and the pricing is also cheaper considering all the other facilities provided by G Suite.
March 02, 2020

New storage solution for enterprise content management

My university uses a university derivative of the Box cloud storage, CybOX, for all students and faculty to store and share files for free. This Box-based software is a university implementation of Box and has most features the same as Box. All students and faculty can access this CybOX by logging on to their university emails. Files can be shared with users or collaborators and can be accessed through web, desktop app, or other Box provided applications.
  • Box not only provides web accessibility, but the desktop app also allows users to sync, store, and share files in their accounts from everywhere.
  • Companies, institutes, and universities can acquire and launch special Box services that designated only for their employees, all the advantages will be retained, and users can have as much as unlimited storage space.
  • Users can view and edit files on the mobile app and do not need to install other applications.
  • Files uploaded directly through web sync immediately, but users can see some lags if uploading through desktop and mobile apps.
  • Editing through Box.com does not sync to the files sometimes, so it would be safer to edit and review files through the desktop sync folder directly. This makes the editing function not practical
  • When you and your collaborators are reviewing and editing the same .doc file, Box will try to save each saves trial to an individual file, and you will end up having multiple files rather than a single file with all the changes.
Unlike Google Drive that most companies or universities are concerned with using for data and file sharing, Box has a full range of features for file storage, retrieving, and sharing. Individual users need to purchase their plans to get access, while Google Drive is set to be free to everyone to use for limited storage space. However, if your employer acquired Box's license, I would always recommend Box.
February 26, 2020

Box's lunch is being eaten by Microsoft

Box was being used for keeping a central repository of all service materials (manuals, software, part lists) for all of our service people globally, in place of an internal service resource website. This is because Box's offline capabilities using Box Sync and the Box mobile app were simple and reliable enough for use.
We were also using the public linking feature to share certain files and folders to customers who requested specific things.
Other departments were using it as cloud storage and team storage space.
  • Offline sync.
  • File sharing.
  • Integration with Office 365.
  • Read-only Box sync.
Box works well if the permissions and fine controls of read and write access by groups are not important. But where it falls short for us is the ability to have read-only offline sync, comparable to Microsoft OneDrive (business version, using SharePoint Online as the underlying technology).

Its ability to have frictionless public sharing was a big plus, however. It all depends on the security needs of your business. If you need and integrate AD credentials and security groups, Box is not the way to go.

Box Up Your Files

Box is utilized by our media team to house all of our campaign briefs, plans and reports. I am unsure if it is used across my entire organization but Box is widely used by our integrated media and marketing teams. It allows multiple teams and external partners access to crucial files and documents to implement our marketing strategies for the year.
  • Editing documents online.
  • Easily save and share documents with others.
  • Sometimes when multiple users are editing a document it will save copies or different versions of the file.
  • Login access can be tricky sometimes and you have to login multiple times when connecting.
Box is a great tool to use to stay organized and store all your files. It is easy to share files with team members or external partners and you can allow users to edit files so you avoid the back and forth versioning that comes with sending attachments via email or chat.
February 26, 2020

Honest review from a honest user!

We use Box to send, receive and coordinate pans with our team interoffice, field and subcontractors. Box makes sending files and/or plans to each other very easy when Outlook can't handle the size(s) of PDFs being sent. It's nice to see notifications of when someone views the folders or documents.
  • Ease of use.
  • Notifications of viewing, downloading files, etc.
  • They could increase the size of documents.
  • Usage without an account.
Box is an awesome cloud-based syncing tool to share files, documents, pictures, etc. The notification setting is particularly helpful when sending important documents or information as it helps put your mind at ease knowing the recipient received your email. It is VERY easy to set up or use no matter what level of computer skills someone has.
December 17, 2019

Good Choice for High-Sensitivity/Critical Use Cases

Our Sales department, which I supported from the Marketing side, used Box to store high-importance documents related to contracts and renewals, as well as the actual contract documents themselves. Because of the sensitive and important nature of these documents, having a specialized service such as Box was desirable over a free but less secure+reliable option like Google Drive.
  • Clean, (mostly) intuitive UI contributes to ease of navigation.
  • Creates persistent, sharable links.
  • Some Excel files don't preview well, especially with complex formatting.
Box satisfactorily performs all of the basic tasks required of a cloud storage solution, for the most part, as well or better than the basic free offerings such as Google Drive and much more reliably than Microsoft SharePoint. However, I think the only reason we elected to pay for a subscription service rather than use one of these free solutions comes down to security around our sensitive contract documents. If the use case in question were one with lower stakes, I'd recommend Google Drive for being able to perform the same functions but without requiring employees to sign into a different service.
March 10, 2020

Think inside the Box for your team

Departments here are very segmented, so I don't know if the whole organization is using Box but at least in the Marketing department we are. We use Box specifically for transferring large files for our video production team. It's great especially because the video production team works from all over the place.
  • Make file transferring easy
  • Collaboration
  • Cloud Content Management
  • Takes a little bit of time to learn how to fully implement it and get used to its interface
Great for teams that are decentralized and not always in the same office space. Great also for teams that have a lot of different tools already (Salesforce, Slack etc). that they want a tool to play nice with.
Stephen Wittmaak | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 25, 2019

Think Inside the Box!

Box is used when working with creative agencies to review, collaborate, and store large file sizes securely.
  • Handles large uploads well.
  • Safe and secure storage.
  • Syncs files over a desktop with ease.
  • Fewer clicks to get from login to share.
  • More 3rd party implementation.
  • More feature-rich free version.
Large video files and RAW camera files, large creative and design documents are what Box handles best.
Read Stephen Wittmaak's full review
Maddie Sedgwick | TrustRadius Reviewer
September 19, 2019

Excellent for sharing large files!

The Box is being used company-wide and we are a happy customer ever since it has been implemented in our company. We use it as a content-sharing platform. It is fast, simple and reliable cloud storage. The major use of Box in our company is to share confidential files within the company and with our remote teams. We can upload files on Box and our resources can view and download them from anywhere.
  • We can share files via the generated link in a single click.
  • Box recommended to upload/Download large files.
  • It supports all the major platforms.
  • Box's strong data encryption provides the best protection to our files.
  • We haven't received any complaints regarding the operations of Box from any of the user in our company. That is why we kept Box and never thought to replace it with any other solutions in the market.
Box works splendidly and we haven't encountered any issues so far. It is well-suited for all size businesses. We can upload large files up to 1-3gb easily, which saves a lot of time which we could have been spending in splitting those files. Overall, our experience is wonderful and we would highly recommend it to other businesses, who are looking for a trouble-free content-sharing solution.
Read Maddie Sedgwick's full review
Tony Phan | TrustRadius Reviewer
August 10, 2019

Box is a great way to share

Box is used as a shared drive in my organization where everyone can share internal documents and files easily without the risk of exposing critical information to external parties. It is used across the organization and creates an environment where everyone can easily share files in just one click.
  • Getting the link to share files instantly in a single click.
  • Folder management features are just like in your PC or laptop and thus very easy to use.
  • Ability to enable editing for multiple users.
  • Editing Excel words directly through the web-based app.
  • Mobile apps that allow the editing of PowerPoint files on the go.
Box is very useful if you need to share a file with multiple users. Let's say your organization has more than 5000 employees, which can make it hard to share things over email. In addition, you can easily control what could be shared and what should not be shared with external parties in Box.
Read Tony Phan's full review
September 24, 2019

Box review

Our organization uses Box to store reports and documents, as well as share across teams. It helps us share files among multiple teams and users, create separate folders and sections per team, organize files and limit and give access to different levels of users as needed. We also sync it with our personal folders and easily upload/download files.
  • Syncing with personal folders makes it very easy to upload/save/download shares docs and files
  • Creating folders with different permission levels helps share appropriate files with different team members and audiences
  • Each user can save files in Box, instead of overwhelming their personal folders on personal machines
  • Viewing reports in Box is almost impossible, because the preview functionality is very outdated
  • Finding folders in Box is not easy, as the breadcrumbs do not link to interim folders, but only start and end points
  • sometimes Sync fails and has to be rebooted to make sure users have the latest versions of files in their personal folders
Box works very well to share files and large reports with teams. It's a great backup, but may not be the best tool to use as a primary storage for company files.
August 13, 2019

Great for Sharing Large Files

I ended up using Box because one of the vendors we work with required it to upload and share large creative files. Their organization had tight restrictions on attachment sizes via email, so using box was their way around it. I hadn't heard of the software prior to that, but it has been easy and intuitive to use.
  • Easy to use interface makes uploading and accessing shared files easily.
  • Simple account set up is great for using with external companies.
  • Large files are easy to upload, replace, share, download, etc. This is great when you deal with larger design files that need to be used for advertising or other purposes.
  • Box is not as common as Dropbox and the names can be confusing to some people.
  • Could do a better job of encouraging people to get more use out of the platform.
When you need to collaborate and share large files, Box is a great solution. This is particularly useful for marketers, advertisers, event planners, or publishers that may need to share large files externally. The system can also be used for collaborating when changes need to be made to the same document.
June 12, 2019

Box - great for someone in an administrative position!

The whole organization encourages the use of Box because it is HIPAA-compliant and user-friendly.
  • Box's HIPAA-compliance
  • Box's ease of use - it just syncs automatically and you don't have to worry about it
  • Box's versatility across multiple devices
  • I don't have many issues with Box. There was a rollout of a Box Sync versus Drive thing that confused me, and I suppose IT could have done that more smoothly.
It is really well-suited if you're working across multiple devices! The syncing is so easy and you can edit in either the web browser or in your normal Microsoft Office application.

Versioning (48)
Video files (51)
Audio files (46)
Document collaboration (56)
Access control (61)
9.2
File search (61)
Device sync (58)
User and role management (55)
File organization (62)
9.2
Device management (44)
Performance (62)
Reliability (62)
Storage Reports (35)

About Box

Box is an online file-sharing, storage and collaboration service provider that caters to individual users as well as businesses.

Box Integrations