Reviews (1-10 of 10)
November 07, 2019
We use Braintree across our company's eCommerce website as our payment processing gateway. As we are an eCommerce company, we needed a way to charge our customers and after having tried many options this works best as well as having a direct integration.
- Braintree has excellent integration with the BigCommerce platform. The switch of our previous payment processing gateway to Braintree was very easy and only required a few clicks.
- Braintree has a pretty easy to use portal that can be accessed through the same login we use for PayPal which we are using in conjunction with Braintree with ease.
- I've only had to call Braintree twice and my customer service issues were handled extremely quickly and easily.
- Braintree's fraud detection could use work, we had a fraudulent payment that was not caught by Braintree's system but we were able to quickly revert it.
- Their support team is in Chicago I believe, which was an issue for us when we had to call in at 2 pm and found out that their office was closed.
- Coming from Authorize.Net, the control panel of Braintree is less robust.
Read Frank Kermani's full review
I highly recommend Braintree as it is a very solid payment processing portal that plays well with other payment processors that we use, though Braintree is our main payment processor. It is powered by Paypal which we have used for many years and Braintree has an excellent integration with BigCommerce which I cannot stress enough, if you are using the BigCommerce sales platform you owe it to your business to link it to Braintree.
November 07, 2019
We use Braintree as our Big Commerce payment gateway. It provides seamless integration with Big Commerce and various payment methods such as Amazon Pay or PayPal.
Read Kevin Bartholomew's full review
July 06, 2018
We use it to track our client's payment methods. It's mostly our customer success team using it. We have been able to solve multiple issues like canceling, refunding, and voiding payments.
- Being able to void transactions before they cross over to a refund
- Being able to add discounts to users profiles
- Running reports
- Reports aren't always as detailed as we like them to be.
- Would like to be able to have better search functions
Read Bridgette Reynolds's full review
I have only been using Braintree for a year or so now, but have found it very useful and the teams we spoke to are great! I would highly recommend this platform.
June 01, 2018
Score 9 out of 10
Braintree is used for payment processing but only people trusted with payments have access to it. Because we use Chargebee we don't interface a whole lot with Braintree (as you would expect out of a payment processor) but where we do it works great for us. It allows us to take a credit card payment without becoming PCI compliant which would be almost impossible for an early stage startup.
- Extremely reliable which is incredibly important for payment processing
- Accepts all payments types we need to be able to accept from all around the world, which is very important for an international company like ours
- Has a great, easy to use API for building out additional functionality that Braintree itself doesn't support
- Not a very good subscription management platform for a Saas business, but they make up for it on the API with others that are
- Doesn't have a lot of additional features, but that's what you'd expect out of a payment processor
- Very expensive per transaction, but the reality is that any processor who helps early stage companies accept online payments are expensive.
Read Brad Henderson's full review
Braintree is great as a reliable, easy to use payment processing platform. They have a great API for anything they themselves don't do very well, but it's not the best as a subscription management platform. If you're a big company you probably just want to do your own processing because you'll save A LOT of money on processing costs if you can negotiate a much better rate than Braintree offers.
June 25, 2018
Our entire organization uses Braintree to process credit card payments from our clients. Particularly the monthly auto-pay clients. Braintree automatically bills them every month and has quite a few subscription options for different kinds of packages, timelines, and discounts you may offer subscribers. We are also able to manually key in transactions which is helpful because we have clients who prefer to pay over the phone. We work with clients across the country and internationally as well so an in-office card reader isn't ideal.
- Low rates on their credit card processing fees
- No monthly payment to use them.
- Recurring payments is one of their most important features
- Has integration options with many online shopping carts
- The backend is basic and not user friendly for most users
- They used to offer no processing fees for your first year before Paypal bought them
- It is developer focused. So the average person may have trouble setting it up or using it
Read this authenticated review
Braintree is a lower cost alternative to many of the options business owners have through their bank. However, they will need to be techy or be working with a developer to set up. The setup and backend isn't as user friendly as alternatives. Braintree is a great option if you'll need to manually type in credit card details. Banks will sometimes charge a lot more for that option. The manual option is nice if your clients aren't as tech savvy and prefer to pay over the phone than to pay on your website.
March 08, 2017
Score 9 out of 10
We used Braintree in conjunction with Freshbooks.com to process our credit card merchant services. The nice thing about it is that you had lots of configurations you could use to enforce security on your own customers' accounts. Funds processed through Braintree hit our account the same day. This is a huge plus for small businesses that don't want to have their money held up for 3-5 days (like those other processing services).
- It was easy set it and forget it.
- Money settled in our account very quickly.
- Not all companies support the use of Braintree. I wish there was more back-end support on some of the sites we wanted to use. This is more about the sites we want to use and less about Braintree, but it's worth mentioning.
Read Brandon Barnhart's full review
Credit card online business would do great with this as a merchant services platform.
January 04, 2017
Score 8 out of 10
It is used in the tech department, as our primary payment provider gateway. We use to to charge our customers for our service via a recurring monthly subscription, with discounts and custom plans. We also sell gift cards of our service, in 3, 6 and 12 month varieties, charged via Braintree as one-off payments.
- Once it is set up, it has not given us almost any problem.
- Allows customization of most parameters.
- Offers drop-in forms (although we don't use them), and also custom ones.
- They do not provide API access to discount and plan creation, so we have to do it by hand on their web console.
- It's hard to configure the charge detail in the customer's bank statement.
- Their web UI logs out really fast. It's annoying to have to re-login every few minutes.
Read Miguel Parramón Teixidó's full review
Braintree excels both for services that are suited for a recurring payment system as well as for one-off payments, so whether you offer a service or a product, it will solve your needs. Since it is highly customizable in terms of discounts and plans, promotions can be set up exactly the way you want them. They also support working with multiple currencies.
September 27, 2016
Braintree is simply a card processor for our website shopping cart - Spree commerce. Since we implemented it it has been bought by PayPal which is no bad thing. We needed a card processor as well as PayPal as we do need to repatriate foreign currency to our domestic bank accounts in the original currency where it is USD, GBP or Euro. PayPal only allows you to withdraw money in your domestic currency and therefore forces an unfavourable exchange rate transaction.
- The interface is clean and simple; so easy to understand.
- They will send you the money at a variety of intervals to suit the business.
- Easy for our developers to implement.
- The front screen reporting could be improved - just a couple of extra features such as being able to vary the time period being looked at and other simple analytics.
- I feel strongly that it would be easy and useful to have some kind of ready cash in transit visual by destination bank account.
- No other points - it just sits there and works.
Read Cameron Read's full review
It's a good basic utility.
April 14, 2016
We have a fremium business and Braintree, helps to run the payment method. We started with Paypal, and then Braintree was acquired by Paypal. Then it was very easy for us to accept card payments for all over the world with the trust of Paypal. We love how easy is to implement
- Web implementation is easy.
- Good price.
- It's connected with PayPal.
- Braintree does not accept American Express.
- They do not have a simple promotional code. With PayPal, any salesman, could do a special discount and implement it. With Braintree it's difficult to create new plans.
- Create buttons and add them in the emails.
Read Gerard Compte's full review
If you have a fremium business... Braintree is 100% recommended. You also have Stripe, but as we are a startup the price is lower and it gave us the power to start with no extra cost. It takes a very small percentage of every transaction. We love their service and attention.
Score 8 out of 10
Braintree is used across the whole organization to process all the payments on our platform.
Read Cristian Vitales Muñoz's full review
I can't think of specific scenario where braintree is less appropriate.
Braintree Scorecard Summary
Braintree, a Paypal service and subsidiary, is a billing platform which stores credit card data directly from the merchant’s systems on secure servers, and it allows for cards to be recharged or refunded . Braintree also supports international payments. Pricing is 2.9% plus a 30c transaction fee.
Braintree Technical Details