- As a database of suppliers and products are on BP, purchase orders are prepared and emailed to suppliers by the purchasing department based in London, who also do inventory management on BP.
- Goods are GRN'd on receipt by the warehouse team based in Norfolk. They pick and pack orders from BP once processed.
- Customer service (CS) department is based abroad and processes orders from multiple sales channels like Ebay and Amazon (fully integrated), wholesale, web site and phone orders. CS also deals with post and pre-sales issues as BP has a full time line and customers database.
- Accounts department reconciles payments, manages credit control, prepares accounts and VAT returns.
- Finally the management team has access to all the above activities via various report to keep control and evaluate performances of the entire team.
- As it has all the functionality in one software like inventory, sales, accounting etc., it saves a lot of time as compared to managing different systems for all business functions.
- Automatic order download from all marketplaces.
- Need more comprehensive reporting. Could add more filters, i.e. it takes time to calculate which sales channel is making more profits, which geographical area is giving more orders etc.
Importing bank transactions via CSV files is very easy, making the reconciliation process relatively simple; the only issue we have experienced is that of making corrections or adjustments on sales invoices - being a double entry accounting system makes this more complicated than other accounting software that I have used.
Having said that though, Brightpearl have provided the best support service that I have experienced in a software provider, to help with any corrections.
- Tracking Inventory, Sales Order and Invoice Creation
- Importing bank transactions for accounting purposes is fairly easy
- Tracking customer activity, and ability to store all communications with customers in the Time Line is very good
- Sending monthly statements is very easy
- The Timeline that tracks activity for the customer is a fantastic tool for allowing all users to see exactly what is happening with the Customer's account, and the notes facility with the event reminder for follow up is very useful for chasing up debtors or using as a reminder to action an outstanding issue for the customer; especially when the event list is used as your home page.
- The double entry accounting for Sales Credits creates an entry on the Statement that Customers can find confusing.
- Inability to order large volumes of stock on one purchase order is a big problem; the limitation on lines for an order is also very restrictive and causes the system to crash too often when close to being reached. The supplier invoice has to be split across multiple orders as a result.
- Adjusting payment terms manually all the time is annoying, as the default is 30 days and required you to over write the full date when inputting purchases with different terms.
It is very well priced compared to similiar products, and the new pricing structure offering unlimited users is a huge advantage over competitors.
The support team at Brightpearl is fantastic and are so accommodating and easy to understand.
- Consistant look to all documentation.
- You create your document templates to suit your business. The consistency across all documents is very much addressing the "corporate" look.
- Ease of invoicing.
- All staff are able to invoice directly - even on site at the completion of the job.
- This makes your staff realise they are responsible for making the business work better together.
- Saving time.
- [Previously] Shouting across the office for the latest price for a widget [would] usually return 2-3 differing values. [Now] Hunting for the correct price is as simple as pressing a button.
- The biggest issue with Brightpearl is the lack of ability to create options within a quotation.
- Sometimes we need to quote alternative products and there is no easy way to do this and make the quotation look good.
- Brightpearl allows you to create filters and set favorites, which enables us to view orders in different categories easily, and avoid having to scroll through numerous orders to find the ones we're looking for.
- Brightpearl gives you the option of adding pertinent product details such as weight, dimensions, and cost to our company, which is helpful both for accounting and as an internal resource for customer support.
- Brightpearl has great dashboards showing charts and graphs of sales sorted by channels, which is helpful for monitoring progress.
- The processes for canceling and modifying orders can be a bit tedious, and it seems like the multi-click processes could be consolidated in a more user friendly way.
- The order filtering feature is great, but I personally work with our international orders, and the fact that you can't create favorites for multiple countries is somewhat inconvenient.
- Some of the connection features between Brightpearl and Amazon stores seem to have some glitches, as I've experienced while trying to link them up recently.
- It enables having the complete process available at a click of a button
- It gives unlimited possibilities
- It is very user-friendly
- Very simple search options
- Allows for sales, shipping, customer service and accounting info all in one system
- System does not notify you if an order was already entered, it doesn't recognize duplication which can cause serious mistakes to be made.
- System does not have enough searching options for my use.
- System is limited in no. of records it holds for viewing.
- System does not allow making changes in one place and having it reflect in another place, need to make the change in two places.
It used by one department that needs it the most. We were going to manage all department merchandise inventory with one system, but there have been serious issues with Brightpearl for us, and the way that Sales assured us would work for us did not turn out to be true, so we halted our org-wide implementation.
- It tracks inventory.
- We have experienced many errors and have not been satisfied with the product or support.
- There were specific requirements that we had for our inventory solution. We were assured by the salesperson and sale engineer that BrightPearl would meet those requirements, but we found after the fact that it did not.
- The implementation was troubled. The Brightpearl implementer did not complete the implementation, there were many errors, and the implementation closer had to re-do many things in a rush to get us online.
- We've has serious issues with the Shopify integration from flat out service failure to inventory sync. Issues that we were told by sales would work a certain way but they do not.
- Support for picking from specific inventory location or change default inventory location rather than FIFO model.
- It's very easy to learn and pretty self explanatory.
- It connects many different departments so that we can all view each other's work and not have to repeat processes.
- It allows me to look up information in many different ways.
- It doesn't always save our work, like prices, bins and amounts.
- It doesn't always allocate properly which causes us to oversell.
- It won't allow more than 10 people to sign in at a time which prevents all of the employees that need it from being able to access it at the same time.
- Organizing orders from multiple platforms.
- Keeping track of customer orders and interactions with the customers.
- Batch printing and processing of orders.
- The integration with Ship Station is very good.
- Management of goods notes, having to go to different spots to do different things with the GN is time consuming. Particularly if you have to delete one, there is no way to do it within the order.
- Fixing payments and the allocation of payments when something was changed is clunky.
- Finding information can be difficult, not all of the reports are intuitive.
- Exchanges are difficult in the Brightpearl system. There is no way to do a negative quantity on a sales invoice.
The ordering system has been a challenge to get to work the way we model our business. This has a lot to do with the limited availability of some of our products. We work with many small vendors and craftsman in a niche market and many of our items are made to order or custom made. Our ordering lead times can change dramatically in a short period of time. It makes setting ordering points difficult. It's also not as intuitive to generate POs for items we need as our prior system was.
If you need complex accounting software, Brightpearl probably isn't your best option.
Our sales team uses it to sell and our warehouse team uses it to manage stock and pick/pack.
We use Brightpearl to 110% of its abilities.
- Amazing Warehouse and Dispatch process.
- Easy to use and quick to master.
- Simple Staff Management.
- Accurate reporting and at-a-glance PnL.
- Reporting! It is so much better than previous updates, but could still use a bit of extra help to manage teams.
- Accuracy of accounting, especially VAT. It's usually accurate, but occasionally it gets things wrong.
- Lack of Sales pipeline, although strictly speaking Brightpearl isn't designed to do this in the first place! It would just be a nice add on.
It is well suited in any small to mid size business scenario.
- Assigning a cost to each product. We purchase at different costs, and each sale gets allocated a cost from the purchase order.
- Audit trail - Each product has a full audit trail with references. Each addition comes with a linked purchase order, each subtraction comes with a linked sales order, and each transfer has the costs of goods associated.
- Sales channel aggregation - we sell on multiple sales channels, and the products are in multiple physical warehouses. The sales come through from a variety of reporting methods. Brightpearl assigns each channel its own data, and displays all sales in a central dashboard.
- Filtering - All products and sales can be filtered by sales channel, location, type, category, warehouse and many others. It provides an invaluable real- time snapshot of inventory allocations.
- Customer support - In my role as power user and troubleshooter, I am in contact with a support agent on average 3 times a week, and each time they are knowledgeable, responsive, and competent. All questions are answered, and issues are fixed immediately.
- Warehouse workflow - Sales are consolidated into goods notes, allowing the warehouse to print a consolidated pick list organized by bay, and then print all the packing lists, on which the order items are clearly displayed.
- Purchasing - POs are made within the system and emailed from the system. They can then be received and allocated from within.
- Product Organization - Each product can be made with all of its important information, and similar items can be sorted by option value. It's clean and elegant.
- Transfers - Brightpearl is aware of this limitation and is working on it for its next release. The process is extra long, requiring unnecessary steps.
- Bundles - We sell products in multiple package sizes, and anything requiring bundling needs too much physical work. Allocation, transfers, and reporting needs to be automated.
- Search - The search function requires exact spelling and there is no universal search. You need to decide what you are searching for (e.g. products, customers, sales, vendors etc.) before searching. Additionally, it isn't easy to search for an option value within a product when making bundles or transfers. You must search for the parent item and then look around until your item is found.
- Sale Creation - to make a sale from scratch takes a lot of time and effort. It is better for recording sales than making them.
Smaller companies may not require its functions, and larger companies may use more software which is project specific. This does all things for all people very well, and I am very happy with it.
- With Brightpearl we can accurately see profit margins down to order level so we can discount where possible to offer the best prices. Brightpearl’s analytics gives us the ability to create customisable reports that deliver the insights we need to make performance-driven business decisions right down to the product level.
- We now only stock products which make business sense. We’ve cut down the amount of products we stock saving us warehouse space, and we can easily raise POs within Brightpearl when stock is getting low. We’ve also been able to optimize our shipping costs - we’re now offering appealing prices with the ability to ship further away to destinations like Scotland at a much better price for the customer.
- Repricing products is easy with Brightpearl and we no longer have to physically check what’s in stock as we can see everything at a click of a button. We’re saving a huge amount of time, about 35 hours per month, as Brightpearl has streamlined our processes allowing us to focus on optimizing and growing the business.
- Brightpearl doesn't allow you to archive OLD products which are no longer in use, so they show up in reporting.
- Brightpearl would benefit from more reports, more robust reports as well which allow you to analyse even more data.
- Brightpearl doesn't allow you to trigger emails when stock on certain products is running low. We have low inventory reports but would like emails when selected products are low on stock.
- Easy to use
- Web based, can be used wherever you are
- Links to web store and other third party applications
- It should not show stock as "ordered" until the order has been sent, not just when it has been built
- It should allow stock that has been ordered, but not received, to be allocated to the customer order to help manage stock better
- It should stop forcing you to see reports that include tax incomes
- Quotations are very easy to stage, track and re-configure. We regularly re-use issued quotes and edit them, on the fly, which Brightpearl does really well.
- The accounting function is bullet proof 'if' you spend time and effort ensuring your processes are logical. We spent many hours working on this element of the platform but now it's in place, it tends to provide near perfect P&L data.
- The fact that BP is cloud based makes it simple to get your hands on important information any time, any place, any where.
- Reporting is a well known area of Brightpearl which needs a lot of work. When creating or editing reports, the one thing you need to report on is, more often than not, missing which is very frustrating.
- URL changes on each release make bookmarking a pain in the back side. I know there's a start URL but Brightpearl is the only platform I've ever worked with, and we work with many being a cloud distributor, which changes its underlying URL each time it releases new code. This needs to be fixed.
- There seems to be an ongoing issue with PDF creating in the quotation engine whereby, for unknown reasons, PDFs end up being 0kb in size and are useless. We've raised this many times as I am sure others have also, but it keeps coming back.
- Exporting and Importing products in particular is a time consuming and complex process made all the more difficult with restrictions on SKU counts and column naming issues. This needs more work for sure.
Our software program communicates with BP to input our skus and the buyers create POs. The warehouse then checks the items we receive into the POs and our accounting team reconciles the POs in BP.
- Brightpearl does a good job of tracking when items were received.
- It allows for customized notes in almost all functions so you can adapt the functions to perfectly meet your needs.
- Our largest issue with Brightpearl is the loading time. It can take up to 2-3 mins to save or load a page at times, even with high-speed internet.
- The other thing we wish Brightpearl would implement is tracking users. Rather than just telling what time an item was checked in, I would like to see the time and the Brightpearl user that checked it in.
Brightpearl: "My SAAS ERP review. What a battle it was to find a perfect software to run a business."
- I particularly enjoy the sales flow that Brightpearl has. From adding a new prospect lead and converting a quote to a sale - it's as easy as few clicks.
- Intuitive user experience, SAAS (ability to work from any PC+internet).
- Inventory management, and ability to work with Shipstation which makes shipping process very easy.
- Multiple sales channel integrations. Whether you are selling on Amazon or your own ecommerce website, Brightpearl allows you to funnel the sales and easily import them into the the system without a need of manual data entry.
- iOS App. A few times on my business trip I tried to check inventory or shoot a sales quote to my customer from my phone, and it was practically impossible. A simple phone app that will allow us to check stock, create a customer and sale would be great!
- Allows our team to place orders directly into the system.
- Managing bundle inventory and building them easily. I would like to see how many bundles are available based on the products within it. Also, if I were to look at a specific product, see if it is part of a bundle so if we are going out of stock or discontinue I can replace it.
- Bulk updating details for products - specifically pricing and dimensions/weight
- Integrating better with Shopify, some of the functionality gets lost with updates and it takes a while for an update
- It takes a while to get support tickets taken care of. I usually get no response or a response that isn't helpful or informative.
- Updating variants easily for products.
- Cloud based. A given now but not all programs like this are.
- CRM is good and the ability to add notes and information so everyone can see what is going on with a customer.
- The accountancy side has some excellent features (which I do not use) but which our accountant constantly loves.
- Seems to have just enough features/ability without being overloaded/over complicated (many other systems seem to do too much and have functions you may never need which obscure the features you do.
- The email pane where you email an invoice out of - it would be good to be able to add additional documents or PDFs here like a catalogue & price list - it does not seem that you can.
- Some of the templates are a bit hard to understand - how they will look when you have populated them - is sometimes not what you think it will be.
- Have customer card file info connect better if you update info in that part to the other parts - they do not seem to link.
- Seamless integration from quote to invoice
- Reasonably good reporting
- CRM functionality
- No longer works with Gmail / Rapportive to automatically add clients from their email enquires at the touch of a button. This was the reason it was originally selected and stopped working after just a few months! Neither Brightpearl or Rapportive have been interested in fixing it and may lead us to switch to Salesforce.
- We were told we were not a core business so were less likely to be supported in our aims and goals.
Brightpearl Scorecard Summary
Brightpearl is a platform that was designed to help users manage their omnichannel business.
According to the vendor, key benefits and features include:
Built for retail. Brightpearl is focused on strictly on omnichannel retail, meaning that our platform and all future innovations are focused on helping our retailers become more efficient.
Affordable. Brightpearl is the most affordable, yet complete retail management software. Comparable systems’ subscription and implementation can be more than double the price of Brightpearl with added, unnecessary complexity.
Omnichannel. Brightpearl connects to Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce, Amazon, eBay and more, to help you centrally manage your omnichannel business.
Inventory management. We manage inventory centrally. Your inventory is held in Brightpearl and updates your channels in real time. Every time you make a sale, the quantity updates Brightpearl so your channels are always up to date.
Automated Accounting. Bookkeeping entries for orders, invoices and payments are automatically accounted for in Brightpearl. Eliminating the need for most manual bookkeeping.
A single source of truth. Brightpearl becomes the hub for managing your business. It provides real-time, accurate reports allowing you to make data-driven decisions.
|Entry||$375||Up to 1,000 orders per month|
|Growth||$600||Up to 5,000 orders per month|
|High Growth||1,000||Up to 25,000 orders per month|
Brightpearl Customer Size Distribution
|Small Businesses (1-50 employees)||85%|
|Mid-Size Companies (51-500 employees)||15%|
|Enterprises (> 500 employees)||Enterprises (> 500 employees)||%|
Brightpearl Support Options
|Free Version||Paid Version|
|Video Tutorials / Webinar|
Brightpearl Technical Details
|Deployment Types:||On-premise, SaaS|
|Operating Systems:||Windows, Mac|