https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/Jn/2G/R40T61KT0DTM.PNGBrightspace - A Way to Integrate More Content to your CoursesBrightspace is used as the virtual or online component to classes, either as a blended class, as an extra form of communication to students, or as a completely online course. It's also used college-wide as a way for employees to remain up-to-date on different HR topics. It's very organized and, I believe, user-friendly. I've used it in the capacity as a student, as an employee, and have helped professors use it to create content for their students.,It's very organized. From the moment you open it, you can see your courses taking up the majority of your screen. But you also have alerts for messages at the top, so that keeps you up-to-date on what you need to know right away, instead of digging through each course. It's very clear and easy to find what you're looking for. It's a great way to add content to a class, even if it is already a face-to-face course. You can use it to communicate with students, to allow them to see their grades as the semester is going on, or to give them supplemental information.,If there was a way they could integrate the student's/professor's campus emails, that would be fantastic. I could see a video chat feature to be helpful, especially for online students. That's all I can think of for now, it's really pretty comprehensive and simple to use.,9,It has helped with our Virtual Campus, which is our fastest growing campus. It has helped us to offer more blended courses. It's been helpful to ensure all employees participate in HR training.,BlackboardD2L does the jobD2L is being used by the entire state university system. It has been, as I understand it, since 2010. The decision was made by the system regents to switch to Canvas by 2020, and I will be among the "early adopters". D2L is used as an option to support any and all courses taught anywhere in the UW system. Many instructors choose to use nothing. Some opt to use Blackboard, as that was what was used before D2L came on board, but without updates. I came in 2012 and have used D2L exclusively so far at this institution, Blackboard at others.,The grade book is very customizable. There is a learning curve, as there always is if something is flexible, but there are a lot of good options available for grading, displaying grades, and calculation of grades. Adding course content of many types can easily be done using drag & drop or copy-paste. It is easy to retain stored content from semester to semester. Updating an item takes three clicks. It is easy to organize and reorganize content and allows sub-sections. It records whether individual students have opened material and how much time they spent using an item. I like the flexibility of organizing the dropbox for student submissions. Deadlines in the dropbox or discussions automatically appear in the course calendar. I like the range of quiz question options, in particular, the "multi-select" question type.,D2L should find a way to allow markup of student writing directly in the review panel of the dropbox. Blackboard and Canvas do this. When you set the number of points an item is worth in the dropbox, it doesn't carry this value over into the grade book automatically, which means you have to be careful to enter the same information in two different interfaces. The rubric function needs a wider range of options. It should be possible to upload rubrics from external files and make them usable within D2L. The discussions are hard to reorganize. Grading discussions using a rubric is not possible inside D2L, as far as I know. When using the Record audio function to provide student feedback, the audio quality is too poor to be used in many situations.,8,I can't speak to ROI, since I don't know what it costs. Having an LMS in today's university instruction setting is a must.,blackboard Learn,BlackboardDesire to Learn or Desire to sufferIn my program, we have been using D2L since 2012. At the beginning our school was adapting it and it was quite buggy, then at the end of 2013 it got a lot better and became the go to system. However for whatever reason (I think business reasons and cost) D2L switched their servers and they claim that they are using a cloud based system. This switch happened in august of 2015 and since then all the wrong things started happening. The file transfer speed (upload and download) went as low as %5 of what it should be. To make things worse, their server kicks you out when your upload or download is not done in 30 minutes. Their tech support after 7 months still does absolutely nothing. They practically ignore the existence of this issue. And worse than that many times my faculty and students reported issues such as file transfer termination, or when the transfer is done, the file is corrupt. This system is pretty much useless for us and our IT has told that D2L is not accepting the problem and they are blaming it on our ISP and web traffics. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?,It used to do well with grading. It used to do well with file upload. It used to do well with file download. The attendance and feedback are ok.,They should go back to their previous server. They should actually admit that they made a bad move and try to fix the issues. Their tech support should stop blaming the user.,1,When it was working properly it was quite helpfullLots of Bang for Your BuckDesire2Learn is utilized by the entire campus as a learning management platform.,Extremely versatile; because we have a very diverse faculty, each with a particular work-flow, D2L is flexible enough to meet the needs of everyone. The iPad grading application is a godsend! I can grade offline, and the second it's linked with WiFi it will upload the grades. Since I'm an English professor, this is incredibly useful. The ability to copy elements from one shell to another is helpful when you have multiple sections of the same class.,The versatility is also its drawback. There are SO many different ways to do the same thing, that learning the system is overwhelming. Creating quizzes is not user friendly at all. It takes an inordinate amount of time. The shell itself is not customizable. It's difficult to draw student's attention because it is not at all visually appealing.,8,Since I am only a professor, I don't feel I have the authority to answer this question.,Blackboard, Moodle, Educator and Nearpod,Nearpod,Creating modules--the course builder function is very nice. adding documents, links, and other content to modules--it's a very simple drag and drop. Copying units from one shell to another. Couldn't be simpler.,Making quizzes and tests. Adding and changing grades. Attendance.,Yes,6D2L Gives A Solid PerformanceDesire2Learn is being used across the Colorado Community College System. I use it to teach my hybrid computer networking courses. It gives students and teachers a common repository to store information to be used in class as well as to upload all homework assignments, take quizzes, and interact through discussions. For example, I've been able to eliminate printing the syllabus and assignment sheets out for each class because they are posted in the Desire2Learn Course Shell and I can project it on the first day of class, and each student has their own copy at their fingertips whenever they need it during the course.,I love the Dropbox feature, it's very easy to associate a grade from the Dropbox feature to the Gradebook which the student will receive immediately. In addition, the Feedback area is clear to the student and easy to use for me, as faculty - I have a larger window where I can see the assignment and type feedback while the assignment is in front of me. The Gradebook is easy to use and to set up. My students love that I can give them a total grade after each due date because I can set up a 'Grade to Date' Setting which includes only assignments that have been due. It's integrated into our student portal which allows students to have a single sign-in to their course shells from their student portal page.,We use a hosted solution, and at times it feels 'slow' - I know that's not specific, but I do know that it isn't just on our network, but on my home network which has a fast internet connection. When I'm trying to go between student grades for instance, it will often time out as I click from one name, look at their grades, then click on the next arrow. Building quizzes to come up with random items from a specific block of questions can be difficult - that may be an integration issue with certain publishers. Once a rubric is built, it's extremely difficult to edit it - you have to start over again. I HATE the internal email system - it will forward emails to my .edu email, but I can't reply to them until I'm in Desire2Learn because it's all internal to Desire2Learn.,8,I can't give specific numbers since I'm not involved in the money side of things here in the community college.,Moodle and Blackboard
Brightspace

Brightspace Reviews

Brightspace
Filter 54 vetted Brightspace reviews and ratings
Amanda Carpenter profile photo
June 19, 2018

"Brightspace - A Way to Integrate More Content to your Courses"

• It's very organized. From the moment you open it, you can see your courses taking up the majority of your screen. But you also have alerts for messages at the top, so that keeps you up-to-date on what you need to know right away, instead of digging through each course.
  • It's very clear and easy to find what you're looking for.
  • It's a great way to add content to a class, even if it is already a face-to-face course. You can use it to communicate with students, to allow them to see their grades as the semester is going on, or to give them supplemental information.
  • If there was a way they could integrate the student's/professor's campus emails, that would be fantastic.
  • I could see a video chat feature to be helpful, especially for online students.
  • That's all I can think of for now, it's really pretty comprehensive and simple to use.
It's great for 100% virtual courses. Discussion boards, quizzes, tests, supplemental material, all easy to access and use.
But I think it's also great as an addition to a face-to-face course. I think, in this aspect, it is underutilized. It would be a great way to add content to a course, and a great place to direct students to go to if they have questions once they are outside of the classroom setting.
Read Amanda Carpenter's full review
Tom Carlson profile photo
March 12, 2018

Brightspace Review: "D2L does the job"

• The grade book is very customizable. There is a learning curve, as there always is if something is flexible, but there are a lot of good options available for grading, displaying grades, and calculation of grades.
  • Adding course content of many types can easily be done using drag & drop or copy-paste. It is easy to retain stored content from semester to semester. Updating an item takes three clicks. It is easy to organize and reorganize content and allows sub-sections. It records whether individual students have opened material and how much time they spent using an item.
  • I like the flexibility of organizing the dropbox for student submissions. Deadlines in the dropbox or discussions automatically appear in the course calendar.
  • I like the range of quiz question options, in particular, the "multi-select" question type.
  • D2L should find a way to allow markup of student writing directly in the review panel of the dropbox. Blackboard and Canvas do this.
  • When you set the number of points an item is worth in the dropbox, it doesn't carry this value over into the grade book automatically, which means you have to be careful to enter the same information in two different interfaces.
  • The rubric function needs a wider range of options. It should be possible to upload rubrics from external files and make them usable within D2L.
  • The discussions are hard to reorganize. Grading discussions using a rubric is not possible inside D2L, as far as I know.
  • When using the Record audio function to provide student feedback, the audio quality is too poor to be used in many situations.
From my experience, D2L is useful for most college courses, from those that are lecture-based to small, collaborative classes. There are individual features that require workarounds here and there, but with a couple of semesters' experience, it is entirely functional. I suppose there are people who find using any LMS challenging, and that would then include D2L, but otherwise, I can't say that D2L would not be appropriate for any institution of higher learning.
Read Tom Carlson's full review
Ramin Shadmehr profile photo
November 23, 2016

Brightspace Review: "Desire to Learn or Desire to suffer"

• It used to do well with grading.
  • It used to do well with file upload.
  • It used to do well with file download.
  • The attendance and feedback are ok.
  • They should go back to their previous server.
  • They should actually admit that they made a bad move and try to fix the issues.
  • Their tech support should stop blaming the user.
Based on its current state I advise everyone to stay away from them.
Read Ramin Shadmehr's full review
Laura Abercrombie profile photo
February 12, 2016

Brightspace Review: "Lots of Bang for Your Buck"

• Extremely versatile; because we have a very diverse faculty, each with a particular work-flow, D2L is flexible enough to meet the needs of everyone.
  • The iPad grading application is a godsend! I can grade offline, and the second it's linked with WiFi it will upload the grades. Since I'm an English professor, this is incredibly useful.
  • The ability to copy elements from one shell to another is helpful when you have multiple sections of the same class.
  • The versatility is also its drawback. There are SO many different ways to do the same thing, that learning the system is overwhelming.
  • Creating quizzes is not user friendly at all. It takes an inordinate amount of time.
  • The shell itself is not customizable. It's difficult to draw student's attention because it is not at all visually appealing.
I think the college has implemented D2L very well, which is why it is baffling to me that more professors aren't using it. I think enough professors are using it that the college isn't going to abandon the service any time soon, but it seems to me like I am in a minority.
Read Laura Abercrombie's full review
Terri Johnson profile photo
September 28, 2015

Brightspace Review: "D2L Gives A Solid Performance"

• I love the Dropbox feature, it's very easy to associate a grade from the Dropbox feature to the Gradebook which the student will receive immediately. In addition, the Feedback area is clear to the student and easy to use for me, as faculty - I have a larger window where I can see the assignment and type feedback while the assignment is in front of me.
  • The Gradebook is easy to use and to set up. My students love that I can give them a total grade after each due date because I can set up a 'Grade to Date' Setting which includes only assignments that have been due.
  • It's integrated into our student portal which allows students to have a single sign-in to their course shells from their student portal page.
  • We use a hosted solution, and at times it feels 'slow' - I know that's not specific, but I do know that it isn't just on our network, but on my home network which has a fast internet connection. When I'm trying to go between student grades for instance, it will often time out as I click from one name, look at their grades, then click on the next arrow.
  • Building quizzes to come up with random items from a specific block of questions can be difficult - that may be an integration issue with certain publishers.
  • Once a rubric is built, it's extremely difficult to edit it - you have to start over again.
  • I HATE the internal email system - it will forward emails to my .edu email, but I can't reply to them until I'm in Desire2Learn because it's all internal to Desire2Learn.
I'd always ask about accessibility, of course. I'd also ask about archiving processes and upload limits.
Read Terri Johnson's full review
Jennifer DeMack profile photo
September 26, 2015

Brightspace Review: "Item level copy is a strength"

Hi, I'm Jennifer DeMack and I am an adjunct instructor with Front Range Community College. I teach ENG122: Composition II, a guaranteed transfer course centered on argument. Desire2Learn offers [our] faculty many options for presenting and managing content to create efficient and engaging learning opportunities for students.
  • Date release options for activities, details, and content groupings allow you to plan a dynamic learning sequence.
  • Great flexibility for displaying media. It's very easy to build attractive and engaging lessons using all of Desire2Learn's media tools.
  • I tried to use a grading rubric for my discussions, and it created a separate grading method. Discussion rubric grading could vastly improve the tool.
  • Can we get the option to grade the discussions using the iPad app "GRADER"?
  • Can we get the option to grade quizzes and provide feedback using "GRADER"? Feedback options seemed to be missing from my GRADER.
The ability to set and control dates per item is very important. It must be uniformly detailed in order to work correctly. Also, the ability to copy and/or import specific items, activities, and/or documents from other sections in the platform has made the system the most flexible I have ever used.
Read Jennifer DeMack's full review
Frances Wright Breland profile photo
September 25, 2015

Brightspace Review: "Many Useful Features for those Willing to Explore"

We use Desire2Learn as a part of a statewide collaborative of colleges and universities to offer college courses to students at our member institutions. Desire2Learn makes it possible for end users to create, modify and engage in a wide variety of course offerings across a complex system.
  • Desire2Learn is a fairly simple LMS and is easy for end users, both faculty and students, to learn how to navigate. It is, to all intents and purposes, a file sharing system that relies heavily on drop down menus for navigation. Therefore, it's easy to teach faculty and students how to utilize both in person and remotely. I have had occasion to help students learn to use the product remotely and it's not particularly difficult.
  • Our current version of Desire2Learn has a simplified grading interface included which improves our ability to access all the content that users have submitted related to a given exercise. The content is also integrated into the gradebook so that we do not have to toggle back and forth between the exercises and the gradebook in order to assess our students' work.
  • The available analytics are quite useful for monitoring student engagement and keeping tabs on student progress. It is easy to tell which students are struggling to get started in a course. It would be lovely to include a feature which allows you to automate reports of that nature.
  • Desire2Learn is overly reliant on drop down menus so it can be very clunky to navigate in, particularly on mobile devices.
  • It is exceptionally difficult to use the e-mail system on a touch screen device. I cannot count the number of times that I have lost an entire drafted e-mail because the program froze up after a cursor was put in the wrong part of an e-mail window. It's essentially a huge exercise in frustration unless you're composing it with a keyboard.
  • Certain features such as adding rubrics are also more laborious than they should be. They require you to select features from a series of menus instead of simply being able to upload a finished rubric to the system.
If you are primarily interested in having a place to aggregate files for people to share in order to facilitate a course, Desire2Learn a great choice. It's easy to put materials together and it's not hard to access them. However, unless you have a sophisticated interface to layer on top of it, it isn't going to really work for multimedia presentations. I would also not recommend it for mobile learning.
Read Frances Wright Breland's full review
David Lloyd profile photo
September 23, 2015

Brightspace Review: "D2L is not all BS"

I am the Desire2Learn administrator and an instructional designer for the University of West Georgia. Most of the universities in Georgia, including UWG, use Desire2Learn Brightspace as their primary Learning Management System. We use Desire2Learn in an "attempt" to gain some consistency across classes in our online classes as well as for a single point of entrance for students accessing online learning.
  • One of the features that I believe Desire2Learn does better than some of the other LMS's on the market is the Gradebook. The Gradebook offers the ability to create categories which allow an instructor to easily drop the lowest x number of grades.
  • Depending on how your particular course is set up, the news tool can work as a great place to send announcements to students. The ability to embed your own personalized YouTube video in this are can also be extremely helpful to students.
  • I have a bit of a love hate relationship with the email tool. I am not necessarily a fan of the interface when adding recipients etc., however it does have some positives as well. Communication with students can get very overwhelming if you are using an outside the LMS email tool. I prefer to keep all course communication inside each class. Things like grade appeals are much easier to deal with when you have easy access to the Desire2Learn archived emails.
  • One of the main things that seams to be a common source of irritation is the inconsistencies found throughout Brightspace. For instance, there are two main areas used to build a course, the Course Builder and the Content area. It appears that these two areas were created by different teams of technicians that did not communicate.
  • Although we have been told that this issue will be fixed when we upgrade and I understand that this is not an easy problem to solve, the document reader not functioning has been the cause of a lot of support calls.
  • Quizzes and the Question Library are a source of major annoyance to faculty and support staff. The issue is that the two areas are not connected as they should be. For instance, it is very possible to have questions inside of a quiz that are not in the question library. They should be connected. If a question is in any quiz it should also be in the Question Library. That is not the case.
  • The rubric tool is another area that I have a love, hate relationship with. The tool can be very useful when used correctly, however it does not work as it should when using it with the discussion tool. The real issue is the students ability and ease when trying to view the completed rubric.
  • It is also not helpful that rubrics can be associated with a tool (i.e. dropbox) as well as the Gradebook item. Desire2Learn does not seem to tie the two together even though the tool and the Gradebook item are associated.
If you are looking at different LMS tools for your organization, I would approach the decision similar to how I would approach voting for a political candidate. Look at all the options and choose the lesser of the evils.
If you have a solid local support team, Desire2Learn can be a fairly functional tool. I am not a large fan of the Desire2Learn support team, however that seems to be an issue with many of the big players including the last LMS I used, Blackboard.
Read David Lloyd's full review
Erin Morrey profile photo
September 18, 2015

Brightspace: "Desire2Learn rating"

We use Desire2Learn as our online course platform in the University System of Georgia. I am writing this as an individual, not as a representative of my institution or the USG. D2L is an easy platform to use once you have a little familiarity with it. The system allows a fair amount of flexibility with posting material, choosing when it should be posted, allowing flexibility with discussions and grading. I have used several other course management systems and so far, I like D2L the best of the ones I have used. My students report fewer problems with this system than with other systems that we use. It allows easy portability of materials between classes and has a lot of options for how materials are presented to students.
  • Tests are easy to set up and administer, as well as easily allowing student exemptions.
  • Uploading files into the system is very simple.
  • Presenting material in different modules, including links and discussions about a certain topic, allows easy changes after setup.
  • Discussion boards are hard to read in the current format--the "threads" don't appear as easily as in some other platforms, and so it makes it difficult to follow what has been written.
  • The internal e-mail feature has a very small file attachment size, which limits its functionality for sending materials.
Desire2Learn is good for organizing material for students in a variety of ways.
Read Erin Morrey's full review
Dr. Dale Shank, LCSW profile photo
September 15, 2015

Brightspace Review: "I would take Desire2Learn over any version of Blackboard, always!"

Desire2Learn is being used for distance learning and in the school of social work. It provided a platform for students and instructors to supplement regular classes.
  • Grade book works very well, for keeping track of student's assignments, grades, etc. Provided a way to eliminate a paper grade book.
  • Works well for providing additional materials to students for courses. Much easier to use than Blackboard.
  • Ability to include recorded videos for substitute lectures for classes
  • Setting up groups/group areas was difficult. Compared to Blackboard it is much more time intensive to complete.
  • Easier customization of page layouts, graphics, etc.
I would recommend Desire2Learn over most versions of Blackboard. It has features that are not available in other platforms. While there is room for improvement, it is much easier overall, to set up a new course from scratch, than other platforms.
Read Dr. Dale Shank, LCSW's full review
Ken Matthias profile photo
August 19, 2015

Brightspace Review: "Using D2L at The Ohio State University"

D2L is being used across the entire university. At this college we use it as a means of distributing course materials as well as quizzing, discussions, surveys, dropbox, etc.
  • Online quizzing works very well and dumps automatically into the gradebook, which can then be exported to the university Registrar. Automatic grading is a plus.
  • Surveys are good in that we use them to evaluate each course and faculty member who teaches in the course. Export of the data is fast and easy and gives a good overview of the data collected.
  • Gradebook can be set up to mimic what faculty members have included in their syllabi regarding how they are calculating grades. Using percentages, weights, and custom formulas is a nice feature.
  • D2L can be more compatible with browsers. We have had issues with Chrome and Internet Explorer. Typically in the drag-and-drop these browsers either do not work or work intermittently.
  • Speed is always a problem with D2L. Depending on the number of people across the university using the program at any given time, it could cause issues with response to clicks.
  • After the most recent upgrade it apparent that D2L is built as a multiple-programmer program in that navigation is not always the same going from module to module.
Content delivery with PDF or downloadable files is what I see as its strength. Including embedded video or other media is not a strong point and comes with a warning that it might not work on all computers/platforms
Read Ken Matthias's full review
Steven Mitchell profile photo
July 08, 2015

Brightspace Review: "Does it give you a Desire2Learn?"

Desire2Learn is our campus Learning Environment System here at Southern Illinois University. My job as Help Desk supervisor is to make sure that faculty and students are familiar with the system. I have found that, although there are some tools that are not intuitive to use, for the most part it is user friendly. We switched over from another LMS approximately three years ago and, although there are a few holdouts, for the most part faculty is happy with it.
  • I find that D2L has a user friendly interface and can be navigated by most instructors and students without too much problem.
  • D2L integrates well with other tools, such as e-texts, and most softwares such as Respondus.
  • D2L is easy for the help desk people to navigate, making it easy to provide good customer service for the people who do need help.
  • D2L has some issues with some of its tools that take a while to correct. There have been some problems with feedback for submissions recently.
  • There are a few things I would like to see added such as the ability to import rubrics from Excel and the ability to print the grade book.
  • A functionality that I feel needs work is the Equation editor. I find it difficult to use the editor for some functions such as logic formulas.
I feel it is well suited for most of the academic functions that we use it for. Some of the math and logic classes don't care for it because of the equation editor problem.
Read Steven Mitchell's full review
Michelle Fisher profile photo
February 25, 2015

Brightspace Review: "D2L from an Instructional Designer's Point of View"

D2L is used as an Learning Management System by the entire PASSHE system. At West Chester University it is used to host online classes. It is also used as a supplement to face-to-face courses (posting reading materials, links to additional information, out of class discussions, etc..) In my role, I design and develop fully online and hybrid courses using D2L. D2L (or any commercial LMS for that matter) allows us to organize students in classes and organize materials into learning modules, assess students online, communicate with students both synchronously and asynchronously online.
  • D2L provides a relatively easy way to create customize course pages. This is helpful as I design custom online courses and can create my own templates.
  • The assessment data is helpful in the quiz area. Faculty members are able to see data for the test as a whole, individual questions, and individual answers. This allows us to make decisions on curriculum and assessment as we review/revise courses.
  • The notification system is helpful for students. Students can subscribe to notifications through the news and receive updates via email or text. They can also subscribe to discussion boards/posts, get notifications via text/email about deadlines, grades, etc... A nice way to stay connected without having to constantly login to the LMS and "check" to see if something is new.
  • I would like the ability to pull all discussion posts for a single user in a class for assessment purposes but this feature appears to have been removed in the recent upgrade to 10.2
  • The WYSIWYG editor is a little messy at times so I often work on the code by hand or in a program like Dreamweaver then copy the code to D2L. This adds time to my work and makes it difficult for faculty to work independently.
  • The new user interface in the Discussion Board area has been a problem for students. It is not as easy to review/read/follow discussion threads as it was in the previous version.
  • It has become more difficult to delete discussion forums and modules in 10.2 - there was a way in previous versions to bulk edit and remove discussions/modules that you were no longer using on one page. You now have to remove one at a time. This is a time consuming process.
  • The user interface design is not at all consistent from tool to tool. It appears that several different design/development teams worked independently. This makes it difficult for the tool to become "intuitive" to faculty users.
  • The rubric tool is a bit rigid and does not allow for a high level of customization (ranges of points and in-line custom comments for students are my biggest complaints)
I believe D2L is most helpful as a supplement to face-to-face classes. I run into the most problems/frustrations with highly customized online or hybrid courses. The faculty I work with who teach face-to-face courses and use D2L as a supplement are reasonably happy with it's performance. I have been working with higher-ed LMS's for 13 years now and find that D2L requires a bit more tech skills from faculty than something like Blackboard. I would say it is similar to Moodle and going way back WebCT. If you are tech savvy and don't mind tinkering D2L will work for you. If you have a population of people who are likely to be thrown by inconsistent interface design and some non-intuitive tools then D2L may be problematic.
Read Michelle Fisher's full review
Mike Hubbard profile photo
September 25, 2015

Brightspace: "Desire2Learn review from a HelpDesk point of view."

Desire2Learn is being used by the University to host classes for students and faculty.
  • Class content, email, discussion forums and basic structure.
  • Easy navigation between the various sections of a course.
  • Faculty can easily build a new course within a course shell.
  • Email is confusing to use for some students, especially when trying to look up email addresses and place them in the 'To' field.
  • The various settings for the discussion forum for Threaded view versus other views can be confusing for some.
Most of Desire2Learn is easy to use depending on how computer illiterate you are. It could be changed for easier use.

Faculty also have problems changing items in their course and often need to call in for help.
Read Mike Hubbard's full review
Ed Lovitt profile photo
October 01, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Here we go again a new LMS selection process!"

We are a Community College using Desire2Learn for credit online and face-to-face courses. We provide course shells for all 2,000 sections offered each semester at the college. We currently have over 5,000 online students using the system. We migrated from our ANGEL LMS during the past year that was the major need from our faculty.
  • Migration of content from ANGEL worked fairly well.
  • Grade book provides many options for faculty needs.
  • The ability to customize the various widgets and changing the layout of the home pages was a feature our faculty appreciated.
  • Collection and prioritization of new ideas from the user community is appreciated.
  • D2L needs to review their community of ideas and move forward with prioritized postings.
  • Additional cost for features not included is frustrating when they should be part of the product.
  • The Discussion tool is very difficult to navigate and the user community is asking for a revision that needs to be recognized.
  • There needs to be a greater working relationship with third party solutions (Turnitin, Ellucian, ...).
Is customization of the learning environment important? Desire2Learn provides multiple tools for customization.
Read Ed Lovitt's full review
Erik Richter profile photo
December 10, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Desire2Learn, Easy to Use for Students Across Multiple Platforms."

I have used Desire2Learn for two different organizations now. They currently use the program for online and hybrid classes. It really helps to facilitate the online classroom due to the ease of use in addition to the program being customizable. Version 10 upgraded from 9 to be used on a mobile platform as well. I have logged in from a tablet and my phone in addition to a PC, it shows up exactly the same in each device. This helps with ease of use, not having to train people for both the desktop and mobile versions of the program. That is a must for the mobility of students in the current academic environment.
  • As mention previously the ease of use across multiple platforms and operating systems. I have accessed Desire2Learn from Internet Explorer, Safari, along with Firefox. Same experience each time.
  • The homepage is easy to find, you click the schools title page, additionally, all the links stay at the top of the screen which makes moving through the class easier as well. I get fewer questions from students on were to find a particular item, the ones I do get are easy to move forward.
  • They recently updated the discussion tool, it makes it easier examine unread discussion and you can zero in on the new discussions to understand what the students are writing, faster than other programs that it becomes complicated quickly.
  • One item is when working with editing the discussion questions, each question needs editing individual for dates, a mass change would be nice.
  • Another problem I have run into is on replying in discussions, if you receive an e-mail through the program while you are in the middle of typing you lose what you have and need to rewrite.
Ease of use with students, easy navigation and the alerts tell students when they need to accomplish an item right on their homepage rather than having to look through each class. One item to look at when the organization is looking for an online learning platform might be the ability of the program to work with computers and browsers that are not up to date. Sometimes on older versions of Internet Explorer it becomes a little clunky and takes some time to navigate.
Read Erik Richter's full review
Jennifer Hendryx profile photo
February 19, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Love D2L!"

We actually use it at the University of Wisconsin system level so all of the UW System schools utilize this learning management system.
  • The dropbox area is highly developed. You can create both group and individual dropboxes. They can also be attached to the grades area allowing items to be graded from within the dropbox tool and then have it published to the grade book. They have also successfully integrated the use of rubrics with the dropbox. This allows instructors to grade a rubric that is attached to the dropbox and have it publish to the grade book. It is very slick! In addition, there is an ipad grading app that allows instructors to download the dropbox items to their ipad, grade offline, and then upload the graded items back into the dropbox.
  • The course builder is a great tool. This is a great tool that allows you to get started in the course building process before having the actual learning materials and assessments created. It allows you to create a course outline by using placeholders. These placeholders can then be replaced with html pages, quizzes, discussions, and dropboxes at a later date. I use this tool all the time!
  • In 10.1 D2L introduced many drag and drop features into their LMS. This allows for easy upload of files from the computer to the LMS. This was a great enhancement to their product.
  • The use of rubrics in the discussion area and the quizzes area could use some TLC. The rubrics actually have to be added to the grade book item for them to be functional. In the Discussion area the instructor is unable to grade them discussions and publish them to the grades area. In quizzes, students are not able to see the rubric at all. If the rubric functioned in these two tools like they do in the dropbox they would be a very useful tool.
  • The discussion area could benefit from a few different enhancements. There is currently no way to grade group restricted discussions without having to manually enter the grades in the grade book or setup a different grade item for each group and then someone restrict those grade book items to individual groups. It is not an easy process one way or the other. The discussion area would also benefit from the ability to add categories so that Forums could be grouped by a certain category (i.e. Units)
  • D2L needs to invest some time and resources to develop/redevelop blogging, journaling, and wiki in the LMS.
I have been with primarily online programs so it has been very well suited for our needs. The keys for us are the upgrade schedule. Trying to determine how often the LMS will change, will they be major changes, how will the changes effect or instructors and students. They provide documentation but we often like to create custom documentation since we don't utilize all of the tools they have. An aggressive upgrade schedule can make keeping up with documentation changes difficult.
Read Jennifer Hendryx's full review
Randi Tucker Barr, MBA, PhD profile photo
February 15, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Desire2Learn: Enhancing Online Course Delivery"

Desire2Learn is being used in higher education for online course delivery. In additional to online course delivery, this learning management system is used throughout the college to supplement face-to-face courses.
  • As a proficient user of competitive learning management systems, there was a slight learning curve when moving into Desire2Learn; however, after a few weeks I found this integrated learning platform to be user friendly to both me as the online course facilitator and my students. There are numerous online resources that assist in the learning curve.
  • Modules within Desire2Learn create an organized online course room that enhance delivery of course materials.
  • Revisions are "hassle free" and reorganizing course resources encourage frequent updates that enhance the online course and keep the material current.
  • Students interact easily with online instructor and peers.
  • Many times it seems that I have to flip back and forth between screens within the Desire2Learn course room to access information.
  • Grade book functionality is a bit cumbersome.
Key questions to consider during the selection process:
  • Level of support from Desire2Learn?
  • Level of reliability of the integrated learning platform?
  • How does Desire2Learn compare to competitors?
  • Is the format user friendly with a minimal learning curve?
  • Will proper training be available for all users (faculty, staff, students)?
  • Are resources readily available online and through the college?
  • Will help desk employees be trained to assist faculty, staff, and students?
Read Randi Tucker Barr, MBA, PhD's full review
Brenda Schoolfield profile photo
February 15, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Interacting with D2L"

Desire2Learn is the learning management system (LMS) used by all resident faculty and by the faculty offering courses online. It serves as a communication system between professors and students for delivering documents, keeping grades, sending messages, and posting announcements. While not all faculty use all the components of the system, all the faculty and the students have access to it. I use this LMS with all my resident classes in addition to the ones I have created for distance learning. I communicate via email and announcements (sometimes even with synchronous chats) as well as post documents, receive and return assignments, and keep grades with D2L.

Our university uses it for the delivery of training for technology resources, from the D2L system itself to workshops on leadership and advancement. It is also in use for delivery of faculty advancement portfolios.

• Providing an updated class list for ease of communication
  • Storing documents that students will need to use
  • Providing space for student groups to work in chat rooms and with document sharing
  • Keeping grades that students can access at any time
  • Allowing for a secure place to post recording from class
  • Copying content and set up from one semester/session to the next
  • The interface for creators of content can be clunky--lots of clicks, lots of steps to remember
  • The discussions and dropbox files do not work well with rubrics--very awkward
  • The system's updates, while helpful, seem to come both too often and without enough of the changes needed
D2L is well suited for Distance Learning settings. It does provide a clean appearance (at least in our branded version it does) and easy-to-follow tabs for content. It is supposed to be for an educational setting, but it might work well for large companies that need to deliver training courses. I find D2L works well in any measure of blended learning--resident classes with online assignments.
Read Brenda Schoolfield's full review
Carrie Ann Desnoyers profile photo
February 15, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Desire2Learn makes online learning desireable"

Desire@Learn is the Learning Management System used by the entire University of Wisconsin system and all UW campuses. Each campus has some control over how it is used. For instance some campuses create a D2L course for every face to face course help on campus, and require instructors to use it for grading and discussions. Some campuses use it for hybrid courses of face to face instruction and online instruction. All campuses use it for fully online courses.
  • Desire2Learn is easy to navigate from both a student and instructor point of view. Students use an LMS for the end goal of learning course material. If they must invest a great deal of time first learning to use the LMS, it detracts from the flexibility of online learning.
  • Desire2Learn is very customizable. An organization can create a branded look and feel for their D2L instance, while still providing flexibility for specific course customizations. However, if the organization prefers the courses all look and feel the same, they can remove permissions for other to customize their course shells.
  • Desire2Learn is easy to use, even for people with little technical skill. While you do have the option to code your pages in html, you also have the option to use many WYSIWYG editors that make creating content as easy as using Microsoft Word.
  • Desire2Learn could use added functionality in making content accessible to screenreaders. Creating screenreader accessible math courses proved quite difficult - especially higher level math. While I did find a way to make it work, it was quite a manual process. It would also be helpful to have a accessibility checker built into the LMS so that institution would have the ability to scan courses for inaccessible content.
  • Often times updates seem to be haphazard and not well thought through. each update would fix one problem but create a new problem. However, this is very common with software in general.
  • The way that the discussion forums are built makes it difficult to grade students and offer meaningful feedback.
  • The eportfolio is a great tool, but it doesn't allow for peer feedback from multiple users.
I think that D2L is best suited to a large organization that has a strong IT support system. It seems to be best suited for educational purposes. It is a robust system that might be too robust for a small organization. It has a lot of great tools, but ask yourself how many of the tools would be used. If you are a university or a whole school district I would highly recommend this product. If you are a small school, or a private organization I would say this product is overkill for what you need.
Read Carrie Ann Desnoyers's full review
Inez Whipple profile photo
February 14, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Cartwheels in the aisles!"

D2L was implemented and is used throughout the 7 campuses at the college as the learning management system. The institution uses it to distribute online courses and for training faculty and staff. When I left, the college created master courses that were copied into the shells created by the student information system.
  • Instructors were really excited about the ability to provide audio feedback to students. We felt that would give them an easier way to provide the substantive feedback we required and that students would be more inclined to listen to it.
  • As an instructional designer, I loved the easy conversion from Word feature which stripped out the excess MS code to create clean HTML for easy loading on student computers. I wish the current system I'm using would have that! :(
  • The Respondus and TurnItIn integration were great and made things a lot easier for our faculty.
  • while I'm not sure if the Intelligent Agents ever got implemented, I thought they had great potential to be used as an early alert system for the faculty to keep track of those students who might normally fall through the cracks.
  • We had some initial miscommunication problems during the negotiation stage which did get successfully resolved.
  • There were also some wonky things during the set-up process. Some features didn't work as expected. For example, the Nav Bar didn't work in the way that we were lead to believe and we had to scrap a plan to give faculty access to that.
  • The training for our high-level staff was definitely inadequate, but then I find that's so with every learning management system I've ever used, big or small. It would be nice to have had some training that made our training a little more challenging.
I participated in the review and selection process of D2L and had all the features that were important to our faculty and to our department in particular. We were looking for a robust product that could meet the majority of our needs, including grading rubrics and excellent ADA compliance. We put forward a recommendation that D2L be purchased and there were literally cartwheels in the aisles when we got approval.
Read Inez Whipple's full review
Claudia Howery profile photo
February 13, 2014

Brightspace Review: "My Positive Experience Using D2L"

Desire2Learn is being used across the whole organization. This software enables organizations to use it for both online courses and on-campus courses. This is a plus for anyone who wants to be sustainable. Instructors have the opportunity of eliminating the need of paper and can review and assess students coursework online. It also helps to flip the classroom by making course material readily available online so students can review this class meets. This gives instructors the advantage of making a more efficient use of classroom time. On-campus lecture meetings can be enriched by the use of more engaging activities to reinforce the topics or the activities delivered via D2L.
D2L is a key element in most of our online courses as this serves as an entry portal for the course where students will find the task lists, handouts, interactive online activities, online assessments, etc. The ability to track students performance is a key feature in D2L. This helps us to identify who we need to reach out and identify their needs or challenges in the online classroom.
  • Regarding the software itself, there are tools that are particularly key in our organization and these tools have been improved in every upgrade. For example the User Progress Tool is one of our favorites because offers the capability to monitor students performance within the course and helps address the student's challenges before they fail. It also helps on assessing what extra resources are being used by the students and what others are not really useful at all. Overall, I think D2L tries to keep up with improvements that can ease ease the user experience. There is still more work to do, but we've seen how this product has evolved.
  • Regarding new mobile capabilities, D2L has increased these like any other LMS is doing. The Grader App is currently used just by few of us, but the ability to access and review course content using the basic Mobile web is incredibly handy. Many instructors and students carry their mobile devices and embrace the ability of having instant access on the go.
  • Desire2Learn technical support is good and we have received a decent turn around time in their response whenever we have specific questions or request extra help. I believe their first tier level of technical support is pretty responsive. Some of the technical support people are very knowledgeable and have an immediate answer to incidents we have had in the past. I would like to see more people like this in tier one as I have learned a lot from their help support.
  • The extensibility of the software and capability to integrate with textbook publisher's content or other external applications is highly important and so far has been an easy setup in D2L.
  • The ability to send notifications to students when a grade or news is posted has been an asset for our instructors and students.
  • The Attendance Register is a time-consuming tool. It would be great to have the ability to create the attendance based on set of dates. For example if my course is a 10-week course it will ease my work if I can just define end and start dates, and the number of sessions the class meets. The software would generate 10 records based on the dates provided. I believe Educator used to have this option.
  • I would rather have visible quick options for "Delete, Reorder, and Copy" These are now collapsed in a button. Users are more familiar with having visible Delete/Copy options. Also the "Delete" is kind of odd. One must click "Delete" to display the "list of items that can be deleted" then mark what you want to delete and click another button. This is just confusing for our users.
  • It would be great to have the ability to restrict submission views per students and within a time frame. Right now to do this I have to restrict the visibility of the quiz per student and create a submission view to for Post-quiz review, and then a "Close post-quiz review," but this only solves part of my problem as I cannot give access to submission views based on time and per student. Let's say that I have two students who want to review the quiz at different times on the same day. I have create a submission view for that student and give her access to the quiz. Once the student's "review period has expired" I have to go back into the quiz disable her special access and enable the access for the second student who will review the quiz in the afternoon.
D2L is well suited for Higher Education as any other LMS would do. I have not had the opportunity to see how it would work to deliver organization's training. There might be tools that are not needed for this. When selecting an LMS, based on our target population, I would ask about its mobile capabilities, its ability to interface with student information systems, tracking of students progress, and course content usage. I would also look for its interoperability with other tool providers that can help enrich the learning experience of our students. The user interface needs to be friendly and intuitive. "Less clicks is better." D2L software can be a bit challenging for users who are not familiar with computer usage. For this group of users, using some of the D2L tools might not be intuitive.
Read Claudia Howery's full review
Heather Moore profile photo
February 15, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Giving students the Desire2Learn"

Desire2Learn is the college's main learning management system. It is used by all departments in the capacity of online, hybrid, and face-to-face learning. D2L is the way that instructors manage their course materials online. They are able to post documents, links, videos, and images. D2L also allows them to retrieve homework assignments, give quizzes that are graded automatically, and facilitate on online virtual classroom through the discussion board. Students can track their grades and attendance in the course as well as connect with their classmates. With tools like Rubrics and Chat Rooms D2L provides a robust online classroom experience.
  • Easy to use - It is intuitive to navigate and create new assignments. Easy drag and drop features allow instructors to design their course layout with little training.
  • Online Quizzing - There are many built-in features in the quizzing tool that give the instructor control over the management of the quiz. They can assign time/date restrictions, randomization, and auto-grading to their quizzes. The grades can then be populated to the Gradebook automatically.
  • Calendar - There seems to be some recurring issues with the Calendar Tool. It is one of the more difficult areas to navigate and manage.
Desire2Learn is great for online learning environments. They provide many tools that allow you to successfully manage online course work. There are still many features that we don't utilize to their full potential but are working on implementing more. They have other features that you can purchase to make it an all around perfect solution for your company. They are very flexible and customizable.
Read Heather Moore's full review
Michael Smith, M.Ed. profile photo
February 13, 2014

Brightspace Review: "Desire2Learn from An Online Instructor's Perspective!"

I am an online instructor for a proprietary education institution with on-ground and online course offerings. Desire2Learn is being used by my organization as its Learning Management System (LMS) to accommodate its online course offerings. Desire2Learn addresses issues of online course navigation and creates a user friendly environment for both students and instructors.
  • Most students are used to learning in a traditional classroom, so Desire2Learn's technology makes the online transition easier for students.
  • As an interactive instructor, I find Desire2Learn platform easy to incorporate lectures, webcasts, YouTube videos, and other media for an engaging classroom experience.
  • As the world becomes more mobile, I am particularly impressed with Desire2Learn's mobile application and features.
  • Although the mobile application is excellent, more features could be added to make it more user-friendly.
  • Again, the mobile features could be better aligned with the full features of the Desire2Learn platform.
  • The grade book feature in Desire2Learn is good, but not as user-friendly as the rest of the platform.
I have only used Desire2Learn in online educational settings and would highly recommend the product in this industry. It offers instructors excellent access to student assessment and reporting features that make student communication easier and more accurate. The ability to incorporate almost any type of multimedia within a course is a major victory for educators who wish to engage their students at the maximum level.
Read Michael Smith, M.Ed.'s full review
Barbara Washington profile photo
February 20, 2014

Brightspace Review: "community faculty"

I currently use D2L at Metropolitan State University as community faculty. I like the support and access D2L provides for me as faculty to the students. I will benefit from having more direct instruction on how to implement the features of D2L.
  • News annouments
  • Email all students
  • Discussion board options
  • Grading
  • Dropbox
  • Challenged to set up dropbox to align with grade book
Grades aligned to assignments and reading all assignments at once.
Read Barbara Washington's full review

Course authoring (1)
Player/Portal (1)
Learning content (1)
Progress tracking & certifications (1)
Assignments (1)
Compliance management (1)
Learning administration (1)
Learning reporting & analytics (1)
Social learning (1)

About Brightspace

Brightspace is helping to transform the way the world learns.

Brightspace Features

Learning Management Features
Has featureCourse authoring
Does not have featureCourse catalog or library
Has featurePlayer/Portal
Has featureLearning content
Has featureMobile friendly
Has featureProgress tracking & certifications
Has featureAssignments
Does not have featureCompliance management
Has featureLearning administration