Love it!

April 06, 2019
We use Brightspace for all of our classes. All students have access to Brightspace in order to access their classes, and many of the staff …

D2L does the job

March 12, 2018
D2L is being used by the entire state university system. It has been, as I understand it, since 2010. The decision was made by the system …

My D2L Experience in Higher Ed

September 30, 2015
There are 31 colleges within the MN State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU). To improve access to higher education, Minnesota State …

Assignments (9)

9.7

Course authoring (9)

Learning content (9)

9.4

Progress tracking & certifications (9)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Brightspace, and make your voice heard!

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is an academic and corporate learning management platform. It provides core e-learning features, as well as mobile accessibility and granular personalization and analytics insights.

17 people want pricing too

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

Learning Management

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is a powerful and flexible learning management platform that promises to help drive better learning outcomes by offering every learner a highly personalized, digital experience. From the kindergarten classroom, to college campuses, to global corporations, Brightspace aims to help create inspired and engaging learning for all.

According to the vendor, key capabilities and benefits include:

Mobile-first design
Brightspace works on any device – whether a laptop or hand-me-down smartphone or tablet.

Personalized learning
Release Conditions and Intelligent Agents in Brightspace offer a high level of granularity and control over individual learning paths.

Partner in innovation
You expect your learning platform to deliver results on learning outcomes and strategic objectives. The vendor also collaborates with you day-to-day to help you plan, measure and achieve those results.

Brightspace Features

• Supported: Social learning

• Supported: Social Assessment

Brightspace Screenshots

Brightspace Video

Brightspace 101 What is D2L Brightspace LMS?

Brightspace Integrations

Brightspace Competitors

Brightspace Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported CountriesGlobal
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Arabic, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese

What is Brightspace?

What is Brightspace's best feature?

Reviewers rate Course catalog or library highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Brightspace?

The most common users of Brightspace are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Higher Education industry.

We migrated from PLS. Brightspace is much more intuitive and modern than PLS was. The ability for Brightspace to work across a range of devices (mobile, tablet, PC, Mac, etc) has been positive for our instructors and students. The main interface is straightforward and easy to jump into and get started.
John Bayerl | TrustRadius Reviewer
In looking at Brightspace versus its competitors currently, it continues to provide the widest functionality, great value, and better ability to tailor the user experience of it to our organizations needs. The longer that our institution has had Brightspace, the more we've been able to leverage it for one-off projects and long-term organizational needs, many of which would not have been possible if we would've had a competitor's product.
Traci Rushing | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace is by far the most user-friendly LMS I have ever used. Faculty with a lower technical skill set have an easier time navigating Brightspace features. Teaching wise, I have also found Brightspace to be easier for students to navigate than its competitors. I adjunct for another institution using Blackboard and always have students that struggle with the features and navigation of Blackboard even after hosting a zoom session to go over layout. This is rarely ever an issue for my students at my full-time institution using Brightspace.
Compared to Blackboard, Brightspace is a much more powerful application that allows instructors to share more content, customize their courses, and design courses in a more intuitive wizard style if desired. Brightspace is also designed to work well on mobile devices and scales content well when compared to the older feeling Blackboard. However, when compared to Canvas, Brightspace feels a little more antiquated given Canvas' modern feel and much more intuitive design. With Canvas, learners can easily find their courses, and instructors can design courses with certain elements only being shown when necessary. The tool also includes features such as bulk deletion, more powerful plug-and-play course designs, and a simpler UI. The only downside to Canvas was that when I used it, the LMS did not scale well on mobile devices, and our department had to instruct users to only access the website through desktops and laptops.
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace offers one of the most tailored employee engagement learning platforms in existence. My organization has utilized a multitude of employee engagement and learning platforms and Brightspace has offered one of the most customized tools that we have used thus far. We have continued with Brightspace because of the noticeable quality improvement compared to many of the previously used tools. I would highly recommend for any enterprise looking to improve employee education and engagement.
Ho'omana Nathan Horton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Although it's been some time since I used Blackboard (as a student in my undergraduate degree), it felt much more intuitive at the time than Brightspace has when I've taken or taught classes. However, I don't feel especially comfortable comparing them since it's been quite awhile and I never had the opportunity to develop or teach courses with Blackboard.
Amanda Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
I used Blackboard when I was in college, but that was very little. I just used it to register for classes and to view grades. Brightspace is leaps and bounds what Blackboard was when I last used it in 2010.
March 12, 2018

D2L does the job

Tom Carlson | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Blackboard Learn 8 and 9. I am currently learning about Canvas. Blackboard is overall much clunkier and lacks the intuitive feel in some parts of D2L. Its grade book is much harder to control and manipulate than D2L's. Its navigation menu can be more radically modified from the default than D2L's, but this doesn't seem that useful to me. Discussions in Blackboard can be more easily reorganized than in D2L, but no grading of discussions is possible. Blackboard Assignments is a good innovation which allows markup directly in the students' submissions, but it displays student work in a confusing manner that doesn't allow for any customization, and its markup options need further tweaking. Furthermore, no rubrics can be used in Blackboard in any way to grade any kind of work (that I am aware of). Overall, I would choose D2L over Blackboard.
Laura Abercrombie | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was not involved in the selection process for my organization since I am only a professor. However, I have worked at 2 previous organizations that have used other online LMSs, and I think overall, D2L is at the top of the list of LMSs I find the most usable.
Terri Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn was selected for me, but I find it to be simpler to navigate than Moodle, more intuitive. Blackboard was many years ago, but I find more flexibility in assigning due dates and end dates in the newer version of Desire2Learn.
September 23, 2015

D2L is not all BS

David Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
Comparing Desire2Learn to Blackboard Vista, I actually believe that Blackboard has a better product, although it has its own set of challenges. We changed systems because of the extremely poor customer service and high level of faculty irritation with Blackboard at the time. I have only used Canvas by Instructure on a trial basis and for testing, however my initial thoughts on the product are very positive, for whatever that is worth.
September 18, 2015

Desire2Learn rating

Erin Morrey | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn is very good compared to Blackboard and has a lot more flexibility with presenting and organizing material. Desire2Learn is about the same as WebCT. There are similar features and while each one has its drawbacks, they are both acceptable for my current class needs. My students seem about equally comfortable with D2L and WebCT.
April 29, 2015

Desire2Learn Review

Desire2Learn is at the top of the list in terms of a robust, fully functional Learning Management System. I think the others do have many similar features but D2L's customer service puts them at the head of the class. Blackboard has horrible customer service from my experience and are a very high pressure seller.
Michelle Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was not part of the organization when D2L was selected so cannot comment on the selection process. I believe Blackboard is more user friendly and intuitive for faculty members. I believe both have very similar tools but D2L's main drawback is the user interface design. Faculty members who are fairly tech savvy do fine with it but still grumble about specific tools/processes. Faculty who are not tech savvy struggle with D2L.
February 06, 2015

Desiring to Learn

Blackboard is a very solid and user friendly software, but Desire2Learn is a cleaner interface that could quickly be customized for our needs. It's learning curve was also easier making system management easier to train employees with handling course administrative tasks. Moodle is a more flexible system because of it's open source interface, but going that route would require more technical expertise to operate and manage the system. Desire2Learn provided the best of both worlds and were we able to successfully implement and use its core features.
Desire2Learn is similar to Blackboard but with less functionality and intuitiveness in terms of use. Grading options are more limited. Desire2Learn uses a cluttered interface with many tabs and options needing to be used to create even basic assignments for upload and grading. When entering grades in Blackboard, changes are instantly saved but Desire2Learn requires you hit a Save button at the bottom of the interface. If you fail to hit save, your grade changes will not be entered.
Erik Richter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn is better than Blackboard because of the ease of use in addition to being able to edit items without having to click through many different windows for one item.
Desire2Learn is better than eCollege due to the simplistic nature of eCollege itself. There are more items available for Desire2Learn for the online student, different ways to present the same information that is easy for students to pick up on.