Love it!

April 06, 2019
We use Brightspace for all of our classes. All students have access to Brightspace in order to access their classes, and many of the staff …

D2L does the job

March 12, 2018
D2L is being used by the entire state university system. It has been, as I understand it, since 2010. The decision was made by the system …

My D2L Experience in Higher Ed

September 30, 2015
There are 31 colleges within the MN State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU). To improve access to higher education, Minnesota State …

Assignments (9)

9.7

Course authoring (9)

Learning content (9)

9.4

Progress tracking & certifications (9)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Brightspace, and make your voice heard!

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is an academic and corporate learning management platform. It provides core e-learning features, as well as mobile accessibility and granular personalization and analytics insights.

17 people want pricing too

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

Learning Management

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is a powerful and flexible learning management platform that promises to help drive better learning outcomes by offering every learner a highly personalized, digital experience. From the kindergarten classroom, to college campuses, to global corporations, Brightspace aims to help create inspired and engaging learning for all.

According to the vendor, key capabilities and benefits include:

Mobile-first design
Brightspace works on any device – whether a laptop or hand-me-down smartphone or tablet.

Personalized learning
Release Conditions and Intelligent Agents in Brightspace offer a high level of granularity and control over individual learning paths.

Partner in innovation
You expect your learning platform to deliver results on learning outcomes and strategic objectives. The vendor also collaborates with you day-to-day to help you plan, measure and achieve those results.

Brightspace Features

• Supported: Social learning

• Supported: Social Assessment

Brightspace Screenshots

Brightspace Video

Brightspace 101 What is D2L Brightspace LMS?

Brightspace Integrations

Brightspace Competitors

Brightspace Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported CountriesGlobal
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Arabic, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese

What is Brightspace?

What is Brightspace's best feature?

Reviewers rate Course catalog or library highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Brightspace?

The most common users of Brightspace are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Higher Education industry.

Brightspace works very well in higher education. I believe they are making a lot of strides toward the K-12 area as well. I am not as familiar with the business case, but from what I have seen in the administration of the product, it can scale and be configured in many different ways.
John Bayerl | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you're an educational institution (K-12, Higher Ed, etc.), this is an amazing tool, and it will provide you all the functionality to support anything you may want and need it to do.

If you are looking at Brightspace as a tool for corporate training, I'm not sure exactly how good or bad it will be for you. My guess would be that it likely depends on your organization's size. Along that line, what I can speak to is how we use it for our customized training and in-house professional development/training, and it works fantastically for that. While we primarily use it for normal higher ed coursework, we regularly do training and professional development for all of our employees and I manage those along with our HR department. Because we use it for many other things as well, all of our employees are familiar with the product, which makes our trainings go that much smoother and makes my job that much easier.
Traci Rushing | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace offers, by far, the best customer support! I am always able to connect with chat support instantly to solve any issues. Our account managers check in monthly to make sure there are no issues on our end and Brightspace host frequent trainings for both faculty and administrators. Brightspace also host excellent professional development trainings with tips for facilitating online courses.

Their platform is also very easy to use.
Brightspace can be a great platform for institutions looking for a multi-platform solution that works with standard cloud technologies and can provide a beautiful experience. The LMS can work well for online-only courses as sections can be segmented from each other inside of the same course, and grading can be automated depending on the scheme being implemented. Experienced instructors can still create useful workshops and courses with this tool, but it can be frustrating for newcomers or those used to other "plug-and-play" or "drag-and-drop" options. I would recommend trying the tool out and making some demonstration courses in which you are a student and learner in order to feel how it works and compares to other options on the market. Brightspace is definitely powerful and can provide a good experience once all stakeholders adjust to its handling.
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
As a member of a large-scale organization with a wide variety of employment positions, I view Brightspace as primarily an administrative solution for continuous learning and engagement. As an educational platform, Brightspace works perfectly for setting learning goals for particular groups or departments. Furthermore, there are many customization options intent on personalizing the overall user experience for employees. The platform also does a wonderful job of increasing overall engagement, retention, and completion of learning goals. However, I do not necessarily view Brightspace as the learning tool for all employees. There are production employees within my company and they may better benefit from other learning tools that do not require being on a computer.
Ho'omana Nathan Horton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace has been particularly useful in my hybrid classes where we alternate online and face-to-face meetings. This platform is an excellent resource for bridging the gap and helping guide students through content and assignments. I teach language classes specifically, and I feel that Brightspace is very nicely suited for helping students with writing courses, especially the incorporation of Turnitin.com which allows students and instructors to see how outside material is used in students' assignments.
Amanda Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
It's great for 100% virtual courses. Discussion boards, quizzes, tests, supplemental material, all easy to access and use.
But I think it's also great as an addition to a face-to-face course. I think, in this aspect, it is underutilized. It would be a great way to add content to a course, and a great place to direct students to go to if they have questions once they are outside of the classroom setting.
March 12, 2018

D2L does the job

Tom Carlson | TrustRadius Reviewer
From my experience, D2L is useful for most college courses, from those that are lecture-based to small, collaborative classes. There are individual features that require workarounds here and there, but with a couple of semesters' experience, it is entirely functional. I suppose there are people who find using any LMS challenging, and that would then include D2L, but otherwise, I can't say that D2L would not be appropriate for any institution of higher learning.
Laura Abercrombie | TrustRadius Reviewer
I think the college has implemented D2L very well, which is why it is baffling to me that more professors aren't using it. I think enough professors are using it that the college isn't going to abandon the service any time soon, but it seems to me like I am in a minority.
The ability to set and control dates per item is very important. It must be uniformly detailed in order to work correctly. Also, the ability to copy and/or import specific items, activities, and/or documents from other sections in the platform has made the system the most flexible I have ever used.
Frances Wright Breland | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you are primarily interested in having a place to aggregate files for people to share in order to facilitate a course, Desire2Learn a great choice. It's easy to put materials together and it's not hard to access them. However, unless you have a sophisticated interface to layer on top of it, it isn't going to really work for multimedia presentations. I would also not recommend it for mobile learning.
September 23, 2015

D2L is not all BS

David Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
If you are looking at different LMS tools for your organization, I would approach the decision similar to how I would approach voting for a political candidate. Look at all the options and choose the lesser of the evils.
If you have a solid local support team, Desire2Learn can be a fairly functional tool. I am not a large fan of the Desire2Learn support team, however that seems to be an issue with many of the big players including the last LMS I used, Blackboard.
Dr. Dale Shank, LCSW | TrustRadius Reviewer
I would recommend Desire2Learn over most versions of Blackboard. It has features that are not available in other platforms. While there is room for improvement, it is much easier overall, to set up a new course from scratch, than other platforms.
April 29, 2015

Desire2Learn Review

Works very well for course delivery as well as for non-traditional uses - i.e. student portal, resource site. In my experience we used it both ways. It is a solid, asynchronous learning environment. One suggestion would be to add a synchronous, video environment directly into the tool. That would be useful for conference calls, live presentations, etc.
Michelle Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
I believe D2L is most helpful as a supplement to face-to-face classes. I run into the most problems/frustrations with highly customized online or hybrid courses. The faculty I work with who teach face-to-face courses and use D2L as a supplement are reasonably happy with it's performance. I have been working with higher-ed LMS's for 13 years now and find that D2L requires a bit more tech skills from faculty than something like Blackboard. I would say it is similar to Moodle and going way back WebCT. If you are tech savvy and don't mind tinkering D2L will work for you. If you have a population of people who are likely to be thrown by inconsistent interface design and some non-intuitive tools then D2L may be problematic.
February 06, 2015

Desiring to Learn

Can the system support multiple languages? We will have international students that travel across three continents, can the system support an organization structure such as this?

The system does handle students moving from Asia to Europe, but timezones have to be manually set in order for schedules to appear at the appropriate time. Language preferences would also need to be manually set.