Brightspace

Brightspace LMS Review

Brightspace is a learning management system used by the college in all aspects of managing student learning, student achievement, student …

D2L does the job

D2L is being used by the entire state university system. It has been, as I understand it, since 2010. The decision was made by the system …

Love it!

We use Brightspace for all of our classes. All students have access to Brightspace in order to access their classes, and many of the staff …

Item level copy is a strength

Hi, I'm Jennifer DeMack and I am an adjunct instructor with Front Range Community College. I teach ENG122: Composition II, a guaranteed …

D2L is not all BS

I am the Desire2Learn administrator and an instructional designer for the University of West Georgia. Most of the universities in Georgia, …

Desire2Learn rating

We use Desire2Learn as our online course platform in the University System of Georgia. I am writing this as an individual, not as a …

Love D2L!

We actually use it at the University of Wisconsin system level so all of the UW System schools utilize this learning management system.

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is an academic and corporate learning management platform. It provides core e-learning features, as well as mobile accessibility and granular personalization and analytics insights.

1 person want pricing too

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is a powerful and flexible learning management platform that promises to help drive better learning outcomes by offering every learner a highly personalized, digital experience. From the kindergarten classroom, to college campuses, to global corporations, Brightspace aims to help create inspired and engaging learning for all.

According to the vendor, key capabilities and benefits include:

Mobile-first design
Brightspace works on any device – whether a laptop or hand-me-down smartphone or tablet.

Personalized learning
Release Conditions and Intelligent Agents in Brightspace offer a high level of granularity and control over individual learning paths.

Partner in innovation
You expect your learning platform to deliver results on learning outcomes and strategic objectives. The vendor also collaborates with you day-to-day to help you plan, measure and achieve those results.

Brightspace Features

• Supported: Social learning

• Supported: Social Assessment

Brightspace Screenshots

Brightspace Video

Brightspace 101 What is D2L Brightspace LMS?

Brightspace Integrations

Brightspace Competitors

Brightspace Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported CountriesGlobal
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Arabic, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese

Alternatives

What is Brightspace?

What is Brightspace's best feature?

Reviewers rate Course catalog or library highest, with a score of 9.9.

Who uses Brightspace?

The most common users of Brightspace are from Enterprises and the Higher Education industry.

While some of the members of our department view Brightspace as not being as intuitive or powerful as alternatives, I am sure our institution will renew our contract for the foreseeable future. There are several departments utilizing the tool, and due to its ease of use on mobile platforms, it will remain a strong contender. If the UI can be tweaked to be even easier to use, and some quality of life features such as batch deletion and click to hide are implemented, I cannot see a better product.
Steven Mitchell | TrustRadius Reviewer
I don't have much input in the decision process, but if I did I would recommend it for its functionality, its ease of use and the ability for faculty and students across a wide range of areas of study to use. I feel it is an excellent tool for distance learning.
Michelle Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am not on the selection committee for this product's renewal. I do know that D2L is less expensive than Blackboard and that was a deciding factor in the original transition from Blackboard to D2L as was a bad history with Blackboard customer support. The main problem I have with D2L based on my role, is the back-end user interface design. This impacts faculty, instructional designers, and course designers.
Ed Lovitt | TrustRadius Reviewer
I would never give any system a perfect score. In the technology environment today we need to be constantly looking at ways to improve the user experience and LMS companies like Desire2Learn need to know that we have options today with other systems and they need to stay current with features and listen to their customers.
Erik Richter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Even though I do not have a say in the choosing of the product I feel that Desire2Learn is the best online program that I have worked with so far. Moving from version 9 to version 10 they made good improvements to the program with on going support in case something happens where the professor runs into a problem, even if this occurs at midnight.
Randi Tucker Barr, MBA, PhD | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my position as online course facilitator the decision is not mine to renew use of Desire2Learn; however, if asked I would vote to continue with this integrated learning platform. Course delivery is organized and efficient. Resources promote ease in instructional design.
February 15, 2014

Interacting with D2L

Brenda Schoolfield | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am not in a position to cancel service with D2L, but I cannot see abandoning the system. D2L listens to feedback and offers extensive training opportunities to interested users. If asked, I would not recommend changing systems. While no LMS is perfect, I seem to have had fewer significant problems with D2L than my colleagues in other places have had with other systems.
Carrie Ann Desnoyers | TrustRadius Reviewer
While this product is not perfect, it is the most effective and efficient of all of the LMS products I have used. It is intuitive in a way that most programs are not - which is why it is easier to train people in its use. I like the freedom and flexibility in design, and appreciate the freedom in creating roles and permissions that it allows for.
February 14, 2014

Cartwheels in the aisles!

Inez Whipple | TrustRadius Reviewer
If I were given the opportunity to use D2L again, it would be awesome. Although the development of our courses and the implementation training took a lot of time, I don't feel that would have been any different using any other LMS. I loved the teaching features of D2L and feel it's a great product for students and faculty. It has some innovative features that are not available with other LMS products.
Claudia Howery | TrustRadius Reviewer
My position is that of offering support using the software and develop courses. "Renewing decisions are not under the scope of my job responsibilities." My highest contribution whenever an LMS is being purchased is that of testing and find the best way to implement this. Regardless of the LMS I must find its strengths and prepare the workarounds that will help our customers to do what they need with the software.
Heather Moore | TrustRadius Reviewer
They are moving to a consistent upgrading process where all new updates will be automatically rolled out. They have been quick to resolve issues when they arise. This company is always adding new features that are requested of their clients. They strive to be the best at what they do and it shows.
Michael Smith, M.Ed. | TrustRadius Reviewer
I would renew my use of Desire2Learn because of the results I have seen during my time using it as a Learning Management System as an online instructor. I have much higher retention rates, my students are much better engaged, and my communication with my students is stronger and much more accurate.
April 29, 2015

Desire2Learn Review

My current position is with a much smaller, private institution of about 3500 students. We do have budget limitations that exclude the use of an LMS such as Desire2Learn because of cost. If it was more affordable - we certainly would consider it as an option in an LMS evaluation process.
February 06, 2015

Desiring to Learn

Other than the user access issues, the system is very solid and stable. Speed and accessibility were our largest hurdle, but most of that was because of hosting and location. There were plenty of manuals and system materials available online, but we were left to our own most of the time.
Our faculty and students are satisfied with D2L, find its features to be mostly intuitive, and it is sufficient for our needs. After version 10.4, D2L will be going to a continuous incremental release model, which will allow them to innovate more frequently. The introduction of version 10 has been a tremendous improvement over prior versions. D2L has integrated well with our ERP (Peoplesoft) and it has become a core part of our technology suite.
We will renew because we are pleased with the product and we are also interested in Desire2Learn's other products such as Insights and what they might be able to offer us in terms of supporting student success initiatives.
I do not have ultimate decision-making power over whether to keep Desire2Learn as a product. As a result, I believe that my employer has negotiated a significant contract with Desire2Learn and therefore will be using this product for quite some time in the future.
  1. Product is immature
  2. Product code and build out is inconsistent across the platform. It appears that the product us a mashup of code made by several developers working independently.
  3. Cost of product is high
  4. Product vision, roadmap and new features appear to be developed in isolation and not in an organic process
  5. Features and functions for improved learning appear to be far behind mature LMS products like Moodle and ItsLearning