A robust yet simple to use LMS - Brightspace

November 22, 2021

Brightspace LMS Review

March 06, 2021
Brightspace is a learning management system used by the college in all aspects of managing student learning, student achievement, student …

Love it!

April 06, 2019

D2L does the job

March 12, 2018

My D2L Experience in Higher Ed

September 30, 2015

D2L Gives A Solid Performance

September 28, 2015

Item level copy is a strength

September 26, 2015

Assignments (9)

9.7

Course authoring (9)

Learning content (9)

9.4

Progress tracking & certifications (9)

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Brightspace, and make your voice heard!

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is an academic and corporate learning management platform. It provides core e-learning features, as well as mobile accessibility and granular personalization and analytics insights.

17 people want pricing too

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

Learning Management

What is Brightspace?

Brightspace is a powerful and flexible learning management platform that promises to help drive better learning outcomes by offering every learner a highly personalized, digital experience. From the kindergarten classroom, to college campuses, to global corporations, Brightspace aims to help create inspired and engaging learning for all.

According to the vendor, key capabilities and benefits include:

Mobile-first design
Brightspace works on any device – whether a laptop or hand-me-down smartphone or tablet.

Personalized learning
Release Conditions and Intelligent Agents in Brightspace offer a high level of granularity and control over individual learning paths.

Partner in innovation
You expect your learning platform to deliver results on learning outcomes and strategic objectives. The vendor also collaborates with you day-to-day to help you plan, measure and achieve those results.

Brightspace Features

• Supported: Social learning

• Supported: Social Assessment

Brightspace Screenshots

Brightspace Video

Brightspace 101 What is D2L Brightspace LMS?

Brightspace Integrations

Brightspace Competitors

Brightspace Technical Details

Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported CountriesGlobal
Supported LanguagesEnglish, Arabic, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Japanese, Korean, Dutch, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese

What is Brightspace?

What is Brightspace's best feature?

Reviewers rate Course catalog or library highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Brightspace?

The most common users of Brightspace are from Enterprises (1,001+ employees) and the Higher Education industry.

We utilize Brightspace across our institution to serve as the single unified platform for teaching and learning. Our institution is robust in the fact that it has many different locations and modalities. Online, face-to-face, hybrid and self-paced are all types of education we provide. Brightspace provides an avenue to connect all of our students and instructors. Instructors are asked to utilize Brightspace for all of their courses. Sometimes this means something simple, like uploading the syllabus -- but other courses (especially online) are built entirely into Brightspace. Students complete activities in Brightspace, and instructors evaluate and assess in Brightspace.
John Bayerl | TrustRadius Reviewer
Working within a higher education institution, we need a product to deliver online courses through and to enhance all our other offerings, Brightspace has been that product for us. We are also part of a larger system of colleges/universities, of which there's about 32 of them, whom all use Brightspace. It is used throughout our entire institution, and we've even found uses for it beyond the primary purpose we purchased it for. We have found it to be a tremendously useful tool in delivering our regular credit-based courses through (online, face-to-face, hybrid, etc.), facilitate customized training, use for departmental collaboration, a communication tool for our whole institution (including with our students), and more. Without Brightspace, we would likely need multiple other software contracts and tools to effectively be able to do all the things we end up using it for. It may be one of our most costly software contracts that we have, but because it does so much for our organization, we would have to spend a lot more and be less efficient without it.
Traci Rushing | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace is currently being used as the LMS system for our campus. This is how we facilitate our online courses and also house various materials for our in-class sections. All in-class courses must complete their syllabi through Concourses integrated into Brightspace, use Brightspace email to communicate with the instructor, and also keep a gradebook in Brightspace. We have also used Brightspace to keep information for faculty and employee training materials.
Brightspace is used throughout the organization with the exception of a few smaller departments. The LMS allows our instructors, employees, and students to access courses from their personal and work machines. The platform supports our traditional, hybrid, and online courses. With Brightspace, we are able to not only provide traditional slideshows and documents online for students to access, but we can also embed other technologies such as the Google Suite and the Adobe Cloud for further enhanced learning. The platform works on mobile and traditional machines as it allows developers to provide scalable resources and resources specific to each platform. I have used the service to provide three traditional in-person courses to students over the past year as well as one intensive online course. Materials are easily accessible and managing the platform becomes straightforward after a brief learning curve.
Joshua Melder | TrustRadius Reviewer
I work in a large-scale corporation that strongly emphasizes continuous learning and improvement. Brightspace is an LMS tool that has been implemented within some administrative departments of the company. Brightspace enables employees within my organization to further engage in their development by interacting with content across multiple mediums. Brightspace has offered an extremely efficient platform to engage in continuous learning via mobile, social, and video content while also providing an adaptive toolset to meet employees at their current knowledge level. Our organization sets monthly learning outcomes for employees with access to the platform depending on their position within the company. Our business has experimented with a variety of LMS tools for organizational use (Skillsoft, ANA, and in-house options) and Brightspace has offered one of the more unique and personalized continuing educational tools that we've experienced thus far!
April 06, 2019

Love it!

We use Brightspace for all of our classes. All students have access to Brightspace in order to access their classes, and many of the staff and faculty have access to either teach classes, keep up with calendars, or in my case, keep up with all of the syllabi and grades.
Ho'omana Nathan Horton | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn (now called Brightspace by D2L I believe) is used across our university as the learning management platform. Assignments, information, quizzes, etc. are distributed and submitted by students to this platform. I've used it for all of the classes that I've taught and taken over the past five years as a PhD student and instructor of undergraduate students. I've used it in face-to-face, online, and hybrid courses.
Amanda Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Brightspace is used as the virtual or online component to classes, either as a blended class, as an extra form of communication to students, or as a completely online course. It's also used college-wide as a way for employees to remain up-to-date on different HR topics. It's very organized and, I believe, user-friendly. I've used it in the capacity as a student, as an employee, and have helped professors use it to create content for their students.
March 12, 2018

D2L does the job

Tom Carlson | TrustRadius Reviewer
D2L is being used by the entire state university system. It has been, as I understand it, since 2010. The decision was made by the system regents to switch to Canvas by 2020, and I will be among the "early adopters". D2L is used as an option to support any and all courses taught anywhere in the UW system. Many instructors choose to use nothing. Some opt to use Blackboard, as that was what was used before D2L came on board, but without updates. I came in 2012 and have used D2L exclusively so far at this institution, Blackboard at others.
Ramin Shadmehr | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my program, we have been using D2L since 2012. At the beginning our school was adapting it and it was quite buggy, then at the end of 2013 it got a lot better and became the go to system. However for whatever reason (I think business reasons and cost) D2L switched their servers and they claim that they are using a cloud based system. This switch happened in august of 2015 and since then all the wrong things started happening.

The file transfer speed (upload and download) went as low as %5 of what it should be. To make things worse, their server kicks you out when your upload or download is not done in 30 minutes. Their tech support after 7 months still does absolutely nothing. They practically ignore the existence of this issue. And worse than that many times my faculty and students reported issues such as file transfer termination, or when the transfer is done, the file is corrupt. This system is pretty much useless for us and our IT has told that D2L is not accepting the problem and they are blaming it on our ISP and web traffics. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
There are 31 colleges within the MN State Colleges and Universities System (MnSCU). To improve access to higher education, Minnesota State Colleges and Universities implemented a management system from Desire2Learn. The schools have simplified management and access with the centralized solution, which has achieved nearly 100 percent uptime. In addition, the new system will support future growth and enhances online services to help achieve the Chancellor's "Charting the Future.".
Terri Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn is being used across the Colorado Community College System. I use it to teach my hybrid computer networking courses. It gives students and teachers a common repository to store information to be used in class as well as to upload all homework assignments, take quizzes, and interact through discussions. For example, I've been able to eliminate printing the syllabus and assignment sheets out for each class because they are posted in the Desire2Learn Course Shell and I can project it on the first day of class, and each student has their own copy at their fingertips whenever they need it during the course.
Hi, I'm Jennifer DeMack and I am an adjunct instructor with Front Range Community College. I teach ENG122: Composition II, a guaranteed transfer course centered on argument. Desire2Learn offers [our] faculty many options for presenting and managing content to create efficient and engaging learning opportunities for students.
Frances Wright Breland | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Desire2Learn as a part of a statewide collaborative of colleges and universities to offer college courses to students at our member institutions. Desire2Learn makes it possible for end users to create, modify and engage in a wide variety of course offerings across a complex system.
September 23, 2015

D2L is not all BS

David Lloyd | TrustRadius Reviewer
I am the Desire2Learn administrator and an instructional designer for the University of West Georgia. Most of the universities in Georgia, including UWG, use Desire2Learn Brightspace as their primary Learning Management System. We use Desire2Learn in an "attempt" to gain some consistency across classes in our online classes as well as for a single point of entrance for students accessing online learning.
September 18, 2015

Desire2Learn rating

Erin Morrey | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Desire2Learn as our online course platform in the University System of Georgia. I am writing this as an individual, not as a representative of my institution or the USG. D2L is an easy platform to use once you have a little familiarity with it. The system allows a fair amount of flexibility with posting material, choosing when it should be posted, allowing flexibility with discussions and grading. I have used several other course management systems and so far, I like D2L the best of the ones I have used. My students report fewer problems with this system than with other systems that we use. It allows easy portability of materials between classes and has a lot of options for how materials are presented to students.
Steven Mitchell | TrustRadius Reviewer
Desire2Learn is our campus Learning Environment System here at Southern Illinois University. My job as Help Desk supervisor is to make sure that faculty and students are familiar with the system. I have found that, although there are some tools that are not intuitive to use, for the most part it is user friendly. We switched over from another LMS approximately three years ago and, although there are a few holdouts, for the most part faculty is happy with it.
April 29, 2015

Desire2Learn Review

I used Desire2Learn at my previous institution - a large, public university of about 30,000 students. The product was selected as the LMS of choice because of its capabilities, full array of features, solid technical support, and ease of use. Faculty using the software were very pleased with its functionality. I would recommend the product to colleagues.
Michelle Fisher | TrustRadius Reviewer
D2L is used as an Learning Management System by the entire PASSHE system. At West Chester University it is used to host online classes. It is also used as a supplement to face-to-face courses (posting reading materials, links to additional information, out of class discussions, etc..) In my role, I design and develop fully online and hybrid courses using D2L. D2L (or any commercial LMS for that matter) allows us to organize students in classes and organize materials into learning modules, assess students online, communicate with students both synchronously and asynchronously online.
February 06, 2015

Desiring to Learn

Desire2Learn provides a common platform for students to communicate with each other across multiple countries, timezones and campuses. It's multi-lingual and timezone support allowed online and onsite courses to be scheduled. The system was primarily used to store content that could be viewed or downloaded to portable devices which made it easier for students to stay connected to learning materials.