Video Editing made easy

Education

Government & Non-Profit

Business

What is Camtasia?

Camtasia from TechSmith is a tool for making screen and video recordings.

Camtasia Technical Details

Deployment TypesOn-premise
Operating SystemsWindows

Alternatives

What are Camtasia's top competitors?

Snagit and Vidyard are common alternatives for Camtasia.

What is Camtasia's best feature?

Reviewers rate Usability highest, with a score of 8.8.

Who uses Camtasia?

The most common users of Camtasia are from Mid-size Companies and the Computer Software industry.

Michael Chow | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia was initially used as part of the online courses my organization offers as well as creating tutorial videos for students, learners, and colleagues. I find Camtasia to be relatively easy to use compared to some of the other products in the market. We have fewer bells and whistles, but enough so that the end product still feels and looks professional. I would recommend this product without hesitation!
  • Able to take other online tools and incorporate within Camtasia.
  • Simple user interface.
  • Post production in editing relatively easy.
  • Would like annotation options be live in the videos for exporting.
  • Microphone sometimes does pick up a ton of ambient noise (room reflections, computer humming, etc) especially when you have the gain of your microphone turned up to compensate for the distance that the mic is placed from you. Wish Camtasia was better at that (although, I have been using a 3rd party device to help with that).
Camtasia is so easy to use that I recommend it over Adobe Premiere, Captivate, Storyline, and other tools. The only problem is the price. Due to the fact that I purchased this for education purposes, and educational prices have gone up exponentially, it has been difficult even at $179 to upgrade, as an educator and the organization is not always willing to reimburse the purchase, it would have been more economical. It was less than $100 (Black Friday) when I bought our updated version in 2019. Camtasia profile accounts aren't the best setup, however. My profile account does not reflect when I was a user or show past invoices, and I wanted to see how long ago I was a user.
Drew Harrison | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Camtasia to create sales and training videos for the software I build and sell. It's easy to use but has some very powerful features and tools that allow me to record, clean up, and publish videos all from one interface - and the end results look professional with minimal effort.
  • High quality screen recording
  • Super easy trimming/cutting/editing tools
  • Great audio cleaning tools to improve sound recordings
  • It would be nice to have better templates/overlays and transitions
  • A mobile version for Android and iOS would be handy
  • The ability to have Camtasia auto pause and resume recording when it detects long enough silence
Camtasia is the best screen recorder and editor on the market. It's not as advanced as some full-fledged video recording apps, but the learning curve and price are much lower than the studio-grade software. If you're directing a movie Camtasia probably won't be the best choice, but for sales videos, tech videos, or podcasts with a video feed, it can't be beaten.
Camtasia is being used across our business, although I'm not completely sure on how many licences we have across the different versions of Camtasia. Three members of our central training team use Camtasia which helps us quickly put together screencast videos, whether that be training, product promo, or process reinforcement use cases.
  • Simple User Interface
  • Great features
  • Easy workflow
  • USB Microphones can sometimes cause a problem if they become accidentally unplugged during a recording session. This can corrupt some of the files that the Camtasia Recorder application uses to capture directly to .avi mode.
  • You'll sometimes get a message when you next try to record that .avi mode isn't available and the only way to fix this is by completely uninstalling and reinstalling Camtasia (with a reboot in the middle of these two actions).
  • This bug only manifested after Camtasia 8 was released, but still seems to cause an issue right up to and including Camtasia 2021.
  • I'd like to see more standard Annotation options. The existing ones are pretty good, but variety is a little lacking.
  • More 'Behaviours' would also be really welcome as these are a great feature and make Callouts a bit more interesting and lively. I've not seen any new Behaviours over the past few versions (since Camtasia 2018).
Well-suited scenarios Camtasia is an excellent video creation tool if you are new to making/editing videos. Its definitely the easiest application to use and doesn't overcomplicate things. Once you are used to the way things work within Camtasia, coupled with applying some important, basic principles of making videos, you can produce some nice-looking videos. I've had lots of compliments on some of the product promo videos I've created using Camtasia. If you want to create something quick, simple, and eye-catching, you can certainly do that in Camtasia without a ridiculously steep learning curve. Not so well suited scenarios Camtasia wouldn't be my choice of product if I wanted to make a full-length feature film, but that isn't really its intended target audience. There are more powerful applications out there, such as Adobe Premier Pro, or Final Cut Pro (if you're an Apple user) for that type of thing.
December 20, 2021

Video Editing made easy

One of the best video editing software for a non-technical resource. Very easy to learn and comprehensive software that offers many library items that make this software an automatic choice for video editing. We have used this for presentations, product explanatory videos, and many more. There are other options we have used but most of them are completed [especially] for the nontechnical resources. All its easy learning points make this an automatic choice for video editing.
  • Video editing made easy
  • company maintained library is a plus
  • offers good effects
  • Software should be lighter - should be workable on mid specs machines
It is well suited just because it is very easy to learn.
Various departments use Camtasia for various reasons but the Product Management team primarily uses Camtasia to record, edit, and produce marketing-quality and web-quality product demonstrations of all the software products we develop. These videos are used on web sites, presentations, webinars and customer visits to highlight existing product features or upcoming features to give us a competitive advantage in new opportunities.
  • Video structure editing
  • Insertion of user guidance in demonstration videos
  • Production software to publish videos to all formats
  • Recording screen software
  • It could use an open environment that allows other users to create different templates for videos.
  • better parity between versions of Camtasia. It is difficult to share projects across release versions of Camtasia.
  • More tutorials in the platform itself to improve individual user knowledge.
The Camtasia recorder was a superb tool for capturing screen audio and video on your desktop which is a huge benefit when your role requires the creation of demos on software products or the creation of tutorials to guide users through a new feature. The Camtasia editor is useful for more complex editing when needed (such as adding transitions, cutaways, etc). Combined, these two product features provide a much-needed tool to record and edit items for knowledge transfer and marketing collateral.
Hiran T V | TrustRadius Reviewer
[Camtasia is used] for [the] creation of the advertisement for the company petrol pump dealership. It is used by sales division in our organization to make awareness of dealership opportunity. No need to have professional in editing with basic editing knowledge the user can create the film. Software pricing is also not too expensive with many subscription options. Importing of media file and exporting of film is made simple and easy.
  • Simple user interface with all required tools and option in the tabs with flexible screen preview.
  • Preloaded effects in the media, annotations, transitions, behaviours, animations, cursor effects, voice narrations, visuals effects and more made job done fast.
  • Multiple track where media file can insert from import with option like hide or visible and lock options.
  • Importing of media file simple and easy with flexible listing view of the many files.
  • Exporting of film can be directly uploaded to required platform or can save in the system.
  • Functions of the option need to improve response time and need to prevent crash of the software.
  • Launch of the software is more time-consuming and initialization of the software takes more time to operate.
  • The user is required to pay for the upgrade each time separately irrespective of initial purchase.
With entry and intermediate level of editing skill one can create a film without much complex process. Export option help in saving the film file in the required format and also easily integrated with social media and other platform or can save a file in the system itself with required resolutions.
Tim Alexander | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm using Camtasia both to create instructional videos for my YouTube channel as a marketing funnel, and also as a way to communicate with my developers when showing how to produce a nuanced bug. I'm sure I'm forgetting other ways I use it as well. It's probably one of my most indispensable tools.
  • Screen Capture
  • Video Annotation
  • Panning & Zooming
  • GIF Creation
  • Filters
  • Transition Timing
  • Asset Library
Camtasia is the right level of powerful enough to get most jobs done without being so complex that you need a degree to use it. I describe to people as Power Point with the additional dimension of time.

I know there are more powerful tool out there. I consciously have chosen to not go down that rabbit hole because I never run into a scenario where I feel like I'm left wanting.
Nathan Roberts | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is used only by the Management Information Systems team at my organization. We have a need to produce videos that instruct our users on how to use technologies we release. Camtasia makes it ridiculously easy to produce professional videos that capture us manipulating software, voicing our steps (either while we are recording the screen or after), highlighting mouse clicks, and adding annotations to the screen. The application also includes many intros, outros, and themes, which make composing a quality video that much easier and quick. While we initially bought the program for making instructional videos, we have also used it to make promotional videos for our org, finding it a capable editor for video shot with a camera. The audio tools are good enough to correct for soft voices and reduce background noise. Significantly, we are finding that production we use to source we are now doing internally, saving money and time.
  • Perfect for screen recording and capturing voice.
  • A wealth of included assets (including transitions, animations, intros and outros) reduce production time and increase production value.
  • It's a breeze to add annotations (callouts, arrows, lower thirds) to video.
  • The program's approachable interface hides significant power, so there is a lot of flexibility and features on tap as your needs grow.
  • Camtasia seems to struggle sometimes with large videos (and I'm on a machine with 32GB RAM), especially with multiple tracks. Sometimes it will freeze when trying to move a track, making it challenging to place it exactly where I want it.
  • There have been a couple of instances where sharing large videos has locked up the program. I didn't lost any work, but I had to restart the process.
  • I wish the audio controls were a little more granular, but that is a minor complaint since the application includes a lot for the price.
I've tried a few screen recording programs and none of them were even close to Camtasia in terms of ease of use, breadth of features, and flexibility. One of the neat things about Camtasia is you can start simple and the program will grow with you. That is, the program is very approachable for beginners but has considerable power available as you get more advanced. So, this is the best program for screen recording, including making instructional videos, how-to videos, and lessons. That said, this is not what you need if you want to make a Hollywood-style video: TechSmith doesn't market it as a replacement for After Effects, Premiere Pro, or Resolve. It fills a niche that Adobe strangely ignores.
Jamie Drahos | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is being used in two ways at our organization. First, for screen-recording, which is what it is probably most known for. It has become the industry standard for screen-recording over the last decade. Second, and probably most important to our organization, it has become our solution for entry-level video editing. Camtasia is a powerful video editor and it has filled a big need in our organization by allowing new users to quickly begin editing training videos. We are producing a large number of videos each year, but we only had a couple of people with editing skills using software like Adobe Premiere Pro, which has a high learning curve. Camtasia is more affordable and allows us to spin up additional editors on our team that create quality videos.
  • Screen Recording - Camtasia has all the tools that you need to create a professional screen-recording for your company.
  • Video Editing - Camtasia is a very competent video editor, especially for entry level users.
  • Training - Camtasia has a large online library of training videos that will get new users up and running quickly.
  • Video Editing Shortcuts - Camtasia does video editing so well that you quickly want to use more advance functionality like that found in Adobe Premiere Pro. However, Camtasia does not have some of the speed editing feature that you find in the more advance programs.
  • Stock Content - Camtasia comes with some stock music, titles, and transition, and although the library has grown over time, it still isn't up to some of the competitors.
  • Multi-track Timeline Functionality - Camtasia does have multi-track editing and it does work well for what it does, but it hasn't advanced much over time.
Just this year I have recommended Camtasia to a handful of employees on our team. We actually combined our licensing to a Team account so everyone had access to the program. We needed everyone to have basic video editing skills on our training team and Camtasia is the best solution for that, especially on Windows where programs like iMovie are not available for free. Additionally, it lives in that sweet spot between basic programs like Windows Video Editor and Adobe Premiere Pro. We have had our trainers release professional-looking videos to our entire customer base using Camtasia to edit the videos.
We are currently using it to create training videos for our end users. Right now it's only being used by 2 departments. I also use it to create and convert other videos for our events to help streamline presentations. It's quick to create and convert many videos and pretty simple to use.
  • Quick to create and convert videos. Good Training and supported videos for beginners.
  • You can import any type of media, PPT, audio, video, photos, etc.
  • Training videos are excellent.
  • Their support staff is also great.
  • Always imporving their software.
  • Maybe the screen capture syncing with the audio. Sometime you can get a delay on it.
  • Quick training video for end-user support.
  • Good converting and uploading video contact to the web.
Karen O'Lane | TrustRadius Reviewer
We have a variety of uses for Camtasia. We record webinars and presentations conducted by vendors and other companies to retain for future reference. We make training videos and informational presentations. Most recently it was used to record a PowerPoint presentation for an audience of technical consultants. The .mp4 file was submitted to a professional production company who then recorded my narration and combined that with the video. The final result was sleek. We see the most value from creating marketing and educational videos.
  • Easy start/pause/restart during recording. This lessens the editing process.
  • Super easy to edit the recording. You can get down to milliseconds and cut either audio or video segments, or both together. You don't have to be fussy about how you sound because you can fix problems later.
  • Easily add a table of contents so that viewers can go right to the sections that are of interest to them.
  • Custom assets for branding, transitions between slides, animations, and music are all included in Camtasia. These features help make presentations to look professional.
  • Honestly, I can't think of anything.
One of our software vendors provides educational videos that we are required to view and then take tests. The videos are several hours long and have no breaks or topic markers, which makes reviewing the material difficult. How many of us can watch a four-hour-long video and remember everything that is in it, and also remember where the video has the information that pertains to a particular question? I capture those videos in Camtasia and add a table of contents with chapters and sub-topics for my team. This saves all of us a lot of time.
Candace Goldstein-Lefebvre | TrustRadius Reviewer
Learning and Development is currently using Camtasia. We use Camtasia to blend many different learning media into one cohesive eLearning. Most recently it addressed building a compliance eLearning where instructor led was not an option.
  • Converting a simple PowerPoint into an eLearning.
  • Combining many learning media types into one cohesive eLearning.
  • The ease of moving and editing the audio.
  • A better way to see all of the media tracks at one time.
  • More Camtasia examples.
[Camtasia is well suited] if you have many different media and audio files to put into one eLearning.
Less appropriate for those looking for a robust quizzing feature inside of the eLearning.
Chris Carpenter | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is primarily used for the production of training videos and screen captures to package how-to instructions for software and hardware systems. It is used to generate self-contained videos for internal and external distribution.
  • Screen Recordings
  • Exports of video into usable formats
  • Voice Recordings
  • Camtasia still doesn’t compete with most proper linear editors like Premiere Pro.
  • Camtasia doesn’t have as much compression and CODEC functionality as it’s higher end competitors.
  • Licensing and usage of Camtasia is still very one-off in most instances, which can make it difficult for employees to secure.
Camtasia is a great citizen producer tool. It doesn’t require the same level of expertise as some of its more production level competitors (Premiere Pro, for example). It is very approachable for most users and has a relatively quick learning curve. It is good for screen recordings with some overlays and voice adds.
Glen Gummess | TrustRadius Reviewer
At the University of St. Francis in Joliet, IL, Camtasia is used as the screencast production software of choice to create visual learning experiences from orientation to a learning management system or website to drill-and-practice training, primarily for faculty and students. It provides a visual opportunity to understand often technical information in combination with written or oral narratives consistent with multimedia learning theory (Mayer, 2009) that suggest learning succeeds when a combination of two sensory modalities (visual plus written or visual plus oral) are addressed.

Mayer, R. E. (2009). Multi-media Learning, 2nd Ed. Cambridge University Press, NY/NY.
  • Ability to edit the video is precise and easy to accomplish
  • The editor can add "callouts" and other highlighting features to the screencast.
  • Project preferences are fairly easy to establish.
  • Publishes to video as a standalone mp4 file or can be uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
  • You can only play a video on the timeline at only one speed, realtime.
  • There is no audio scrubbing when you scrub the video with the playhead.
  • You cannot save timelines for future use; you must save the project under a different filename.
  • Interactive features (prompts to the user to click) are not robust and are arduous to implement unless you have a subsription to publish to TechSmith Screencast.
For creating learning experiences that require visuals from desktops, Camtasia is intuitive and produces content that works seamlessly in many video carrying platforms. The software also includes pixelation or blurring techniques for obscuring details that would otherwise identify people, potentially in violation of student confidentiality laws or Institutional Review Board restrictions. A convenient library of visual graphics, icons, backgrounds and music beds enables the producer to add attention-getting "pizzazz" to presentations, a library that can be augmented with original user-created content. Some instructors use it to present concepts that require a visual component. It would be a significant improvement to allow multiple timelines to be saved, and for audio-scrubbing to be included in the editing toolset. One project, for example, could support an orientation of a learning management system for faculty, and then one for students, if two separate timelines were allowed.
Ira Mae Ramos | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have been using Camtasia for years as a personal video editing tool. I mostly use it for editing and making clips that I sometimes include in my presentations and slides. The ease of use of this software is very good and hence making it a good option for these kinds of tasks.
  • Adding transitions. I find this feature of Camtasia very handy and convenient as it allows one to change the settings of transitions one by one or by batch.
  • Built-in screen capture capability. This tool has a built-in function that allows you to record your own screen.
  • User-friendly interface. You don't really have to be an expert to be able to use this tool. I remember the first time I used this, I was totally clueless and yet I was able to finish my work without hassle or bugging anyone.
  • Stability. Often times when you use Camtasia, it is very common to experience bugs and crushes. This could be very frustrating at times
  • Very basic. The tool itself is a very good tool for beginners as its interface is really user-friendly but after a while it leaves you wanting for more. Probably having an expert mode with more options to customize may be a good idea.
I have, time and time again, recommended this app to a lot of people. The tool is well built and really delivers good results. It is very user-friendly and does the job well. I find this tool particularly interesting because it has almost everything that you will need in making instructional videos or presentations. The screen capture capability can be really handy in most cases.
Andy Ryan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is a low cost video editing and screen recording software that we use to create and edit digital presentations that we turn into webinars and online courses. It was the first video editing software that I purchased for my business in 2015. It is simple to use for beginners. Advanced video editors will love the streamlined software that allows you to just focus on the task at hand without getting bogged down with extras.
  • It's a great tool for beginners of video editing
  • It does a great job with screen recording
  • You can purchase and install the software and not have to pay a monthly fee for the software like you can with Adobe Suite
  • The features are very basic compared to Premiere or Final Cut
  • Software Loading time and rendering time could be improved
  • The interface could use a facelift
I think that Camtasia is great for those who need to record their screen and then be able to edit that recording. We have used Camtasia to screen record presentations. Then we take those recordings, edit them and turn them into online courses or webinars. It's a fairly low price for the software with a one-time purchase price.
Doreen Giles | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is being used within our organization to supplement our training effort in deploying enterprise application systems. This along with other help documentation helps to reinforce learning and reduce the use of manpower for training. Camtasia allows the flexibility to incorporate PowerPoint slideshows, audio and video clips, and graphics and screen recording. Camtasia is also used to edit Skype recordings created during live trainings.
  • Provides a very clean user interface
  • Very good technical support
  • Easy to use editing tools
  • Interfaces well with PowerPoint Addin
  • Price point is high compared to other video editing tools
  • Would like to see more variety of callout, transitions and fonts.
  • Would like a time estimate for compiling video
Camtasia is well suited for small projects that do not require interactive learning. It is good for screen recording and using PowerPoint recording add ins. Would like to be able to add interactive features in an easy way such as quizzes, etc. If you have a project with a lot of objects, Camtasia can sometimes misbehave. I have also found issues with the audio tools not being easy to adjust.
Marjorie Justice | TrustRadius Reviewer
My organization uses Camtasia to create technical training videos for our clients. Our training team uses it as an alternative to in-person training sessions. This was mostly a pandemic-era decision, but we will definitely continue to use the application in the future. I have also used it to create internal, "fun" videos and hope to create marketing or demo-type videos in the future.
  • Camtasia imports outside files quickly and easily
  • The training videos TechSmith provides free of charge are helpful
  • I just started the certification training videos and think they are fantastic
  • It's easy to learn the basics of video creation but there's always room to keep improving the quality
  • Sound editing can be a bit frustrating in Camtasia. It's difficult to remove background noises.
  • The application can be a bit glitchy. It's not unusual for me to be kicked out while working on a video.
I would recommend Camtasia because it does not take much time to be able to create a quality training video. Plus, the pricing is very reasonable.
Doug Ash | TrustRadius Reviewer
We shoot instructional and promotional video mostly using screen capture. I also use Camtasia for video for my hobbies.
  • Easy
  • Powerful
  • Straight forward to use
  • Easier to start new project
  • Easier to publish - remember settings
I shot a bunch of video of a sand castle being washed away by waves and edited it into a 3 minute video - really cool.
I use it to add captions to my video.
Its good for stitching together different parts of a larger presentation - for example a short video of each "slide" then make one long video.
Eric Batson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is being used by my company to develop training videos that demonstrate ho to use systems and complete daily work procedures. These videos are edited to call-out key steps, system highlights, and best practices. It is also used to edit short interviews with leadership and other decision makers.
  • Camtasia is easier to learn for beginner film editors than some other, more complex software.
  • It comes with prefabricated tools that take minimal effort to use and create, such as the ability to highlight areas of the screen.
  • You can add audio, image, and video tracks with ease.
  • Camtasia does not have as many options as Adobe Premiere. It is a more basic video editing software.
  • I would like some more options besides the prefabricated ones it provides.
  • If you move the file for someone to use, the tracks can get jumbled. To fix this, you must first zip the file and then send it to someone to edit and/or use.
Camtasia is best suited for beginner film editors. It is a good starting point with some descent options and effects. As your skills increase, you may want to move on to more complex and powerful tools, such as Adobe Premiere. It is, however, a good tool for screen captures, filming a demo on your computer, and editing other video projects.
I'm part of the customer training team. My group has 3 licenses [with Camtasia] and we use them to create video tutorials and edit more complex videos for both internal training and customer training. It also allow us to get faster screenshots and create videos directly from Power Point. Camtasia has allowed us to make videos much faster without the need to hire outside companies. When the design and execution process is done in-house the work gets done much faster. All the tools I need to make videos are in the Camtasia libraries and I have saved time searching for outside resources.
  • Very intuitive controls. You don't need to be a pro at video editing
  • Seamless control of assets (separates video from still images)
  • Great library of annotations and gestures
  • Easy to integrate audio/video edits
  • Custom formats that suit my needs (web, mobile, tablets)
  • White Balance corrections
  • Free transform of images (to fit in different devices)
  • Transitions needs some love and get to the 2.0
  • Behaviors also need a revamp to something more modern
Well Suited:
Small companies
Marketing campaigns
Entry level Youtubers
Instructional Designers
Fast adoption: learning curve is not steep vs other software

Less appropriated:
Professional video edits
Advanced effects in Youtube
Want to use files from stock images/assets online. It doesn't accept some of those formats
when searching for more intros, outros and assets in websites, you cannot export them to Camtasia (not compatible with ADOBE suite)

I use Camtasia to edit client videos for YouTube, social media advertising, and email. It is a powerful and easy-to-use video editor with some good and free to use (and some to purchase) intros, outros, and music clips. It is easy to make each client's video brand their own and reproduce for multiple videos; no two client videos look or seem the same.
  • Audio editing
  • Video editing
  • Adding text
  • Adding transitions
  • Saving assets to libraries--it is a current function and it may just be operator error (me), but I'm not always able to find where I've saved assets.
Any video that needs editing, polished up with information within or at the beginning/end, a video that is out of sync between video and audio--really any video work at all--is great for Camtasia. I have not run into scenarios where it is not appropriate to use. I am a big fan overall. I have stuck with Camtasia through their last four major upgrades and have no plans to not continue.
Jorge A. Merino | TrustRadius Reviewer
In short, I use it personally to create content that explains the use of other programs to my students in a private academy. We also advise clients who use it to create content for social networks, email, etc. generating Camtasia 2020 templates for them (and/or projects in old versions). I edit videos for conferences, courses, presentations (currently before Covid-19 they were face-to-face), currently they are presented remotely.
  • Multi device fast recording / editing.
  • Possibility of organizing media.
  • Various output formats.
  • Cloud connectivity (I've used Google Drive).
  • Media blending mode option (something like image editors do) Multiply, raster, soft light, etc.
  • Area to create your own libraries (assuming that we have available custom vectors with company colors).
  • More sound effects available: Flanger, Echo, Others.
  • Connection to more clouds (currently I only see and have used Google Drive).
[I recommend the] Basic / Intermediate Professional Edition. Well suited for videos for social content, electronic or social marketing, videos for presentations, distance education (using real-time platforms or online classrooms), and videos for education or technical support. I do not recommend it for more professional editing, videos that require a lot of effects, skins, mixes, etc.
With the latest version (Camtasia 2020), I actually had problems with an Imac with HighSierra, but from the first moment they answered and guided me to solve the problem, even before making the purchase (with some doubts I had). And they have support in English and Spanish, I really liked that.
Allison Chaney | TrustRadius Reviewer
The whole organization uses Camtasia. We are a small company, with four people. Two of us are trainers and we record online video courses. We use Camtasia to create professional training videos and our in-house editors use it to add features and logos, etc. to the videos to make it consistent with our brand. We need a reliable program that can be used by the entire team to create professional video. We also do green-screen video and Camtasia is great for that.
  • Advanced editing features
  • Ability to add graphic overlays like logos
  • Green-screen capabilities
  • Lots of editing options that allow you to easily adjust size, space, timing, etc.
  • Limited cross-compatibility with different versions. One team member upgraded and everyone had to upgrade as a result because they couldn't transfer files and work on them as a team.
  • Some editing features are a bit challenging to figure out such as transitions and animations. It's not intuitive and things change with versions so if you find an online tutorial it won't apply if it's the wrong version.
  • Large file size outputs. It would be nice to sync them to a cloud vs. needing to keep an external hard drive handy to store files. When working on a team, the team has had to physically transport hard drives to share files.
Camtasia is fantastic for professional video editing. It has lots of features that allow you to create a video that is polished and professional. It also is easy to learn and user-friendly. The hotkeys make using the software much more efficient. If you just need basic editing, however, there are plenty of free programs that work just as well. But for a professional setting, a program like Camtasia has all the features you need.
I haven't used the online support much at all, but when I did, they were fast to respond and had a simple resolution. Support, however, is available via other users and is relatively easy to find. There are a ton of tutorial videos available to learn how to use certain features. However, I feel that there is a gap in support and there could be more up-to-date tutorials for all of the available features.
We use Camtasia to produce marketing videos, to edit our webinar videos, and to edit or create training videos. If we want to show the customer how to perform a particular function in the system we create a video that's a few minutes long that can be emailed. We also record training sessions and then edit them later for emphasis. This software is used by the marketing department.
  • It is incredibly quick and easy to create a short training video.
  • It allows us to place opening and closing slides with our company info on every video.
  • So far it's been able to do everything we've needed it to do.
  • Noise reduction hasn't worked well for us.
  • Sometimes the video (with audio) hasn't had the quality that we expected.
  • If you have to manipulate the audio and the video it can be a bit tedious and time consuming.
  • We've had a few edited videos that "jump" at the beginning.
Well suited for training videos, and for manipulating recorded sessions, such as training or webinars. You can add music, introduction clips, end slides with your company information, end credits, etc. to make those videos look professional. For training videos that are only a couple of minutes long, the resulting mp4 is small enough to be emailed. There's several options for size, quality, etc. We've used it for marketing videos but have had some quality issues there (perhaps it is a novice user issue).
We only contacted support one time but the response was fast and the question was answered to our satisfaction. The person answering our emails seemed to investigate the issue thoroughly and followed up with us later to make sure that the problem was solved. They were also very courteous.