Camtasia Reviews

June 10, 2020
Jorge A. Merino | TrustRadius Reviewer
In short, I use it personally to create content that explains the use of other programs to my students in a private academy. We also advise clients who use it to create content for social networks, email, etc. generating Camtasia 2020 templates for them (and/or projects in old versions). I edit videos for conferences, courses, presentations (currently before Covid-19 they were face-to-face), currently they are presented remotely.
  • Multi device fast recording / editing.
  • Possibility of organizing media.
  • Various output formats.
  • Cloud connectivity (I've used Google Drive).
  • Media blending mode option (something like image editors do) Multiply, raster, soft light, etc.
  • Area to create your own libraries (assuming that we have available custom vectors with company colors).
  • More sound effects available: Flanger, Echo, Others.
  • Connection to more clouds (currently I only see and have used Google Drive).
[I recommend the] Basic / Intermediate Professional Edition. Well suited for videos for social content, electronic or social marketing, videos for presentations, distance education (using real-time platforms or online classrooms), and videos for education or technical support. I do not recommend it for more professional editing, videos that require a lot of effects, skins, mixes, etc.
With the latest version (Camtasia 2020), I actually had problems with an Imac with HighSierra, but from the first moment they answered and guided me to solve the problem, even before making the purchase (with some doubts I had). And they have support in English and Spanish, I really liked that.
Read Jorge A. Merino's full review
April 23, 2020
Allison Chaney | TrustRadius Reviewer
The whole organization uses Camtasia. We are a small company, with four people. Two of us are trainers and we record online video courses. We use Camtasia to create professional training videos and our in-house editors use it to add features and logos, etc. to the videos to make it consistent with our brand. We need a reliable program that can be used by the entire team to create professional video. We also do green-screen video and Camtasia is great for that.
  • Advanced editing features
  • Ability to add graphic overlays like logos
  • Green-screen capabilities
  • Lots of editing options that allow you to easily adjust size, space, timing, etc.
  • Limited cross-compatibility with different versions. One team member upgraded and everyone had to upgrade as a result because they couldn't transfer files and work on them as a team.
  • Some editing features are a bit challenging to figure out such as transitions and animations. It's not intuitive and things change with versions so if you find an online tutorial it won't apply if it's the wrong version.
  • Large file size outputs. It would be nice to sync them to a cloud vs. needing to keep an external hard drive handy to store files. When working on a team, the team has had to physically transport hard drives to share files.
Camtasia is fantastic for professional video editing. It has lots of features that allow you to create a video that is polished and professional. It also is easy to learn and user-friendly. The hotkeys make using the software much more efficient. If you just need basic editing, however, there are plenty of free programs that work just as well. But for a professional setting, a program like Camtasia has all the features you need.
I haven't used the online support much at all, but when I did, they were fast to respond and had a simple resolution. Support, however, is available via other users and is relatively easy to find. There are a ton of tutorial videos available to learn how to use certain features. However, I feel that there is a gap in support and there could be more up-to-date tutorials for all of the available features.
Read Allison Chaney's full review
March 02, 2020
Karen Chamberlain | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Camtasia to produce marketing videos, to edit our webinar videos, and to edit or create training videos. If we want to show the customer how to perform a particular function in the system we create a video that's a few minutes long that can be emailed. We also record training sessions and then edit them later for emphasis. This software is used by the marketing department.
  • It is incredibly quick and easy to create a short training video.
  • It allows us to place opening and closing slides with our company info on every video.
  • So far it's been able to do everything we've needed it to do.
  • Noise reduction hasn't worked well for us.
  • Sometimes the video (with audio) hasn't had the quality that we expected.
  • If you have to manipulate the audio and the video it can be a bit tedious and time consuming.
  • We've had a few edited videos that "jump" at the beginning.
Well suited for training videos, and for manipulating recorded sessions, such as training or webinars. You can add music, introduction clips, end slides with your company information, end credits, etc. to make those videos look professional. For training videos that are only a couple of minutes long, the resulting mp4 is small enough to be emailed. There's several options for size, quality, etc. We've used it for marketing videos but have had some quality issues there (perhaps it is a novice user issue).
We only contacted support one time but the response was fast and the question was answered to our satisfaction. The person answering our emails seemed to investigate the issue thoroughly and followed up with us later to make sure that the problem was solved. They were also very courteous.
Read Karen Chamberlain's full review
February 29, 2020
Nancy Johnson | TrustRadius Reviewer
  • Across the organization - nearly all internal videos are created and edited with Camtasia. It is an internal training tool - we use it to record and edit sales presentations, technical training, animate slide decks, and so forth.
  • We also edit external videos (pulled from Youtube or our call recording software) in Camtasia.
  • Videos created in Camtasia are critical in holding the attention of our internal staff.
  • Easy video recording
  • Easy editing to create polished and professional videos- much easier than any other package
  • Fairly sophisticated effects
  • I would like more functionality around the library
  • Better in-app audio editing - sometimes, I use Audacity to augment what Camtasia can do.
  • I wish I could adjust the black background.
  • Anytime you need to record someone giving a presentation and then edit it to make it concise and professional looking. In essence, it's a great training tool and more easily done in Camtasia than any other program.
  • Anytime you want to record any steps within a program or software - it allows you to emphasize or hide the cursor, zoom in and out, etc.
  • Anytime you want to create a quick video for internal training or a highly polished video for customer training - Camtasia is the easiest place to do either.
  • Anytime you want some of your staff to begin video editing - it's the easiest to learn.
  • Relies on the user community for most support questions, they seem to ignore important suggestions that I've seen being made for years, like not having automatic shadows on all shapes and callouts.
  • You don't need a lot of support in the product, but it's a good thing.
  • Their training videos are pretty good.
Read Nancy Johnson's full review
February 29, 2020
Keith Lillico, M.Ed, MBA | TrustRadius Reviewer
My organization currently uses Camtasia for screen captures videos. We also use it to match background music to other videos that we have recorded elsewhere. Camtasia is the go-to tool for members of my organization who do not have extensive video editing experience because it is easy for them to use.
  • Screen Capture
  • Simple Video Editing
  • Move complex video editing features
  • The ability to be exact when cutting and splicing a video
  • Sometimes the publishing options are overwhelming
Camtasia is ideal for those who want to do quick edits to a video, or they need to record basic onscreen simulations. It's less appropriate if you need to make complex videos with multiple layers that are public-facing.
I have only interacted with Tech Smith's support a few times, but overall they have been great. I know that they have a strong history of providing great support to other users.
Read Keith Lillico, M.Ed, MBA's full review
January 24, 2020
Amelia Keown | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is used to create training videos for our employees. These videos are typically created by the taking department with collaboration with various departments. This allows the company to provide online training to employees specific to our industry.
  • Capture screen activity including mouse movement providing easy editing capabilities.
  • Addition of graphics during video creation allowing detailed explanation of items that may not be visible in live video footage.
  • In previous versions, I had issues with the program shutting down if I added too many elements, video clips, etc. Recently the newer version did not seem to have this issue but I have not pushed the limits.
  • There are times I want to lengthen a portion or element during video creation but the program did not allow it if there were other items on the same track. I can see why this is necessary in some cases, but I would like to override in other situations.
Camtasia can be used for professional video creation such as our trading videos or for personal application. I have used the program to create photo montages for children and grandchildren including graphics and music.
I have never had an issue that the support team had not been able or willing to help with.
Read Amelia Keown's full review
February 02, 2020
Nicolas Hanhan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is used across the whole organization by faculty and staff to create interactive media files that help improve learning quality on campus.
  • Easy to import video and photos created in other application.
  • Uploading to YouTube is available from within the application.
  • Rendering takes a long for long videos.
Camtasia is suitable when creating a video tutorial, for example, screen recording a tour of the college website, speaking on the features and content of each page, and adding pop-up quizzes at any specific point in the video to test the user knowledge.
Camtesia have been very supportive in providing answers to questions asked through email.
Read Nicolas Hanhan's full review
February 18, 2020
Camtasia is used by both our marketing department and our operations department. Our marketing department uses it to make short promotional clips--usually all digital clips. The operations department uses this to create customer training videos. These videos allow proactive customers the opportunity to get rolling with their set-up before our first call.
  • Ease of use
  • Video quality
  • Not good when recording Excel spreadsheets
  • Slow downloads
Camtasia is very good for creating small videos for personal or professional use. I have used it extensively to record a walk-through of steps in a screen-share. The quality is good for small things like that. This is not a platform for enterprise-level video quality or graphic design.
I have not used their customer support as of yet. I am happy to report that there have been no issues in my experience.
March 03, 2020
Our organization uses Camtasia to create tutorial/guidance videos using screen capture and voice over. The tutorial videos mainly address how to perform various administrative tasks. We also use Camtasia to convert PowerPoint presentations to video. Currently it is being used across two departments.
  • Screen capture.
  • PowerPoint.
  • Post-production editing.
  • Cost is expensive compared to similar platforms.
Well suited for tutorials and guidance videos. Well suited for creating videos from PowerPoint presentations.
Camtasia offers great help videos to facilitate learning how to use the platform.
January 09, 2020
Michael Whatley | TrustRadius Reviewer
In our organization, we use videos to deliver information about changes to products, processes, and tools. On the training side, we also use videos to deliver training to our sales organization. These include tutorials, informational videos, or engagement videos. Camtasia has allowed us to broaden the number of users creating videos - allowing us to increase the volume of videos we produce as well as remove a bottleneck in the process.
  • Camtasia comes with a set of "library assets" which are templates, images, motion graphics, and audio files that fit together to create an overall style for a video. Without a lot of experience working with video, these help novice designers develop a more polished product more rapidly.
  • The interface itself is very intuitive. The tools provided with Camtasia allow users to do a lot with video and the way in which a user would accomplish various tasks is pretty easy to understand and execute.
  • Compared to more robust software platforms, like Adobe Premiere or Final Cut, Camtaisa lets people who don't need that level of software deliver high-quality video products quickly. Camtasia isn't basic and it isn't robust - but it certainly meets the need for the price point.
  • Camtasia could do better on their keying performance. By that, I mean the ability to remove a specific color - for green screen execution. In my experience, it takes a little bit of time to fine-tune the settings to get a good quality color removal without seeing grainy edges.
  • The ability to manipulate the video with motion or rotation is slightly limited in Camtasia. Other programs such as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut have a lot more flexibility with video manipulation that isn't always necessary in Camtasia; however, it would be nice to have a few more options in this area.
  • Actual video editing - color correction, for example - is very limited in Camtasia. If you don't have a quality team filming your videos, then live action can become troublesome without the ability to adjust the footage since the tools are so limited in Camtasia related to that side of post-production.
Camtasia is great for screen captures for software tutorials or basic level video production. It's not as well suited for heavy motion graphics or animation. When it comes to the higher level production quality, I would recommend other platforms; however, Camtasia is a fantastic entry-level tool for people who are just getting started with videos. It's a very intuitive user interface with a fair amount of flexibility around what you can actually do with the various video elements.
Read Michael Whatley's full review
Will Goad | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia was originally purchased for training videos. Due to its simple and intuitive screen capture and annotation functionality, I personally have created hundreds of training videos in the last four years. Beyond training, Camtasia has also been used to create marketing videos, perform quick edits on live meeting/webinar recordings, take quick screen captures for technical support, and more. Camtasia has intuitive features and makes it easy for teams to integrate video quickly into market and client-facing activities. Perfect for those who use video as part of, not all of their job.

• Annotation tools: easy to call out video elements for viewers.
  • Text overlay: makes instruction easy.
  • Audio plugins would allow for better audio enhancement, editing.
  • The narration feature doesn’t always trigger the video to play while you record. This makes it harder to make sure timing is correct.
Camtasia is great if you are a trainer, sales rep, technical support person or another professional where video is a small part of what you do. Because the tool is intuitive and makes assumptions on the controls/settings, you can start making good videos immediately. If all you do is video, you may find the functionality limited.
I have had zero need to reach out to Camtasia support that I remember. I view this as a strength. That said, I have performed verbal interviews and electronic surveys with members of the Camtasia team. Their proactive reaching out has been helpful and instilled a belief that they are committed to their customers. Additionally, regular feature releases reinforce this belief.
Read Will Goad's full review
Michael Leone | TrustRadius Reviewer
Our training department uses Camtasia to quickly create slick videos for our corporate training. It allows us to quickly edit green screen footage, screen recordings, and more. We are able to go from digital film to editing out the green screen, and inserting animations and text in no time. It’s one of the most efficient video editing software packages we’ve used.
  • Green screen removal/keying
  • Text animation
  • It would be nice if it worked better with higher-bit rate video.
  • More options for built-in video transitions.
Camtasia really works well if you are looking to make professional-looking videos in an office environment. If you have a green screen setup and want to make talking head style trainings, this works great. If you want to use your green screen to create videos for role-playing or for a company party, this works great as well. While it is less feature-rich than something like Adobe Premiere CC, it is also easier to use.
Any time I’ve had a challenge with Camtasia, their software support has been top-notch. They answer quickly and always give a solution that works. Plus, their annual product cycle means that each year they update the product with a new release that adds features, templates, and more that enhanced the training videos we are able to create.
Read Michael Leone's full review
September 11, 2019
Doreen Giles | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is being used within our organization to supplement our training effort in deploying enterprise application systems. This along with other help documentation helps to reinforce learning and reduce the use of manpower for training. Camtasia allows the flexibility to incorporate PowerPoint slideshows, audio and video clips, and graphics and screen recording. Camtasia is also used to edit Skype recordings created during live trainings.
  • Provides a very clean user interface
  • Very good technical support
  • Easy to use editing tools
  • Price point is high compared to other video editing tools
  • Would like to see more variety of callout, transitions and fonts.
  • Would like a time estimate for compiling video
Camtasia is well suited for small projects that do not require interactive learning. It is good for screen recording and using PowerPoint recording add ins. Would like to be able to add interactive features in an easy way such as quizzes, etc. If you have a project with a lot of objects, Camtasia can sometimes misbehave. I have also found issues with the audio tools not being easy to adjust.
Read Doreen Giles's full review
January 17, 2020
On our training team, we use Camtasia to record and produce e-learning training videos and tutorials. We are the only department currently using Camtasia, but work closely with SMEs to record trainings across other departments using Camtasia. It allows us to quickly and easily record presentations, conference calls, trainings, or meetings and convert them into training material that can be made available online and shared across the company.
  • Records in-person and virtual learning experiences.
  • Add visual effects and b roll to make the e-learning content more engaging.
  • Audio processing is a bit limited - I often have to export the audio into Audacity for fine-tuning.
  • Importing slides into Camtasia doesn't keep animations.
Camtasia is suitable for recording any learning experience - whether meetings, product demos, conference calls, classroom-based or virtual; converting recordings (audio and/or video-based) into compact, engaging e-learning courses.
I've only had limited experience with the TechSmith team, but the two times I've worked with them, they have been very responsive and helpful. In addition, their blog is fantastic! It offers helpful advice and shares best practices within the industry. Being new to e-learning, I really appreciated the extra information. Their Camtasia certification course was helpful too - it was practice-based and comprehensive.
June 20, 2019
.Kim Murphy | TrustRadius Reviewer
For the past 12 years, our web design company has been using Camtasia to make great videos that show clients their website interfaces as we are developing them, and to create training videos explaining to clients on how to manage their websites. Project updates are easily communicated to clients and collaborators with Camtasia. When we look at the clients existing website or software for analysis we create friendly talkative screencast videos for the client. It's like we are right their next to the client talking to them as they can see our screens and hear our voices.
  • Camtasia makes it very easy to record everything on your screen or just certain regions of your screen
  • Camtasia has advanced built-in editing tools to integrate video
  • Adding music, sound and markup to screencast videos is very easy with Camtasia
  • Camtasia takes a lot of training to learn how to integrate and edit video
  • Video editing is not as advanced as most major video editing software products
  • Camtasia does not provide as many pre-made sound themes as they should. The selection is not very diverse.
In looking at client's existing websites and speaking our thoughts about them to our potential web design clients via screencast videos, Camtasia is nearly the perfect solution. Camtasia is also great for providing project updates and training videos to our web design clients. For complex integrated screencast presentations, we might need to integrate a better software program like Adobe Premier or After Effects. For faster and more simple screencast vidoes we use Jing via Screencast.com instead.
Read .Kim Murphy's full review
June 20, 2019
Jackie Ramos | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are currently using it to create training videos for our end users. Right now it's only being used by 2 departments. I also use it to create and convert other videos for our events to help streamline presentations. It's quick to create and convert many videos and pretty simple to use.
  • Quick to create and convert videos. Good Training and supported videos for beginners.
  • You can import any type of media, PPT, audio, video, photos, etc.
  • Training videos are excellent.
  • Their support staff is also great.
  • Always imporving their software.
  • Maybe the screen capture syncing with the audio. Sometime you can get a delay on it.
  • Quick training video for end-user support.
  • Good converting and uploading video contact to the web.
Read Jackie Ramos's full review
June 02, 2019
Cheryl Zelasko | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Camtasia in two ways. Our upper-level management uses it to convey knowledge to the company, kind of like a recorded town hall meeting. Our HR staff and I use it as a visual training tool.
  • It has editing functions that allow you to cut and paste new pieces into your recording without having to re-record the parts you are happy with.
  • It is easy and quick to set up and start.
  • It has multiple ways to save the file so it can be distributed.
  • If you're not someone who uses this type of software regularly, it is a little intimidating.
  • Placing the annotations and other features that are available into your clip have a lot of trial and error to them. I found it difficult to get the size and information I wanted where I wanted it.
I use it often when trying to help our managers generate specific types of reports or learn repetitive processes. I can go through the procedure on my screen and talk them through step by step so they can refer back to it at later dates to generate the information they need in a report or understand the process to submit something to our department.

We have a detailed customer quoting system that has 7 steps to it. If you miss one, it completes stops the process. By videoing the steps through a complete process, our staff can see how to handle the situation and it is available for new hires so we don't forget to tell them a step.
Read Cheryl Zelasko's full review
May 29, 2019
Justin Germino | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Camtasia 2018 and previously Camtasia 7, then Camtasia 8 to produce product unboxing videos, review videos, showcases, video game narration videos, and screen recording and training videos on a regular basis every week. I use Camtasia for multi-layer video editing, multi-layer sound editing, adding annotations, transitions and more.
  • Very easy to work with multiple video and audio layers
  • Easy to apply transitions and annotations
  • Easy to resize and do picture in picture effects
  • Has some trouble with .mov file format when they are large size with preview playback
  • Has trouble with 4K and working with 60+ fps video
  • Sometimes crashes when using hardware mode for rendering instead of software mode
  • Could have an effects subscription service or offer out more bonus effects
When working with multiple video layers, and doing picture in picture few software programs are as easy as Camtasia for just adding additional video players and doing picture in picture. Also for auto importing PowerPoint files and adding voice narration over them is where this software also shines. It is also excellent at full screen recording able to record video game play, or any window and you can resize, pause/start recording again as needed.
Read Justin Germino's full review
March 29, 2019
Chris Wilkey | TrustRadius Reviewer
Camtasia is used as the primary method of recording videos and instructional walkthroughs for the department. It allows us to record our screen and make quick edits that make quick and easy videos that help prospective students and parents learn more about our processes and procedures. It is also used for recording screen recordings from mobile devices.
  • Speeds up the recording of screen recordings and video walkthroughs.
  • Allows us to record mobile devices with ease.
  • Really quick edits that allow us to take a recording to the final product instantly.
  • It is missing some editing features of more advanced programs.
  • Some of the transitions could be improved in the editing process.
  • Recording can be hard to track and sort with the structure of the files.
I would recommend Camtasia for anyone in my department. It is an entry-level video software that is easy to learn and makes video recording easy. It works for software demos and also allows me to edit quick projects to get them live by the end of the day. It isn't meant for high-quality video production.
Read Chris Wilkey's full review
March 08, 2019
Robert Nunez | TrustRadius Reviewer
Currently, there are two of us that use it at Haselden. I have recommended that our IT people who do screen captures use Camtasia, but they are not currently. It provides us with an excellent screen capturing app at an affordable price. It works wonderfully.
  • Easy to screen capture.
  • UX is wonderful.
  • Editing is easy to use. I didn't need much training on how to use Camtasia.
  • Editing audio is not the best.
This is great for software simulation. Recording and doing edits are easy. It takes less time to edit videos than it does using Premiere Pro. We use Camtasia almost exclusively for software simulation. Recording narration, which we do often, is another easy to use function. We use Audition when we are recording small snip-its of voice over.
Read Robert Nunez's full review
February 04, 2019
Camtasia, now called TechSmith Relay, was used to record presentation videos for our faculty to share with their students. We switched from using it, after all these years, to Panopto.
  • It's very easy to learn and use.
  • Uploading of videos was straightforward and easy.
  • Integrated well easily with our video storage service.
  • Both a pro and a con of it being easy to use is that it has limited features.
  • Better video editing abilities.
  • More enhancements on creating videos. Added webcam in the video would be nice while presenting.
  • Automated closed captioning would be great!
For an easy screen capture program, use Camtasia/TechSmith Relay works great. For a bells and whistles screen capture program, not so great. If you want to do a quick Powerpoint presentation with a voice-over, it's perfect. Anything beyond that, not so much.
Questions were addressed in a fair amount of time.
February 28, 2019
Various departments use Camtasia for various reasons but the Product Management team primarily uses Camtasia to record, edit, and produce marketing-quality and web-quality product demonstrations of all the software products we develop. These videos are used on web sites, presentations, webinars and customer visits to highlight existing product features or upcoming features to give us a competitive advantage in new opportunities.
  • Video structure editing
  • Insertion of user guidance in demonstration videos
  • Production software to publish videos to all formats
  • Recording screen software
  • It could use an open environment that allows other users to create different templates for videos.
  • better parity between versions of Camtasia. It is difficult to share projects across release versions of Camtasia.
  • More tutorials in the platform itself to improve individual user knowledge.
The Camtasia recorder was a superb tool for capturing screen audio and video on your desktop which is a huge benefit when your role requires the creation of demos on software products or the creation of tutorials to guide users through a new feature. The Camtasia editor is useful for more complex editing when needed (such as adding transitions, cutaways, etc). Combined, these two product features provide a much-needed tool to record and edit items for knowledge transfer and marketing collateral.
January 21, 2019
It is being used by my department for developing videos to promote our product. Before every major product release, my teammates and I create short videos of the features included in the release. It helps us inform our customers of the new features and what problems of theirs these features solve. It also helps our sales reps and partners become aware of the new features so that they can position the product accordingly.
  • Camtasia helps you record audio and video very well. It can use your screencam to record you as you talk. It can also capture your screen video. It is able to detect all the audio devices on your computers such as your headphones and computer microphone. For screen capture, you can either capture full screen or choose a custom resolution. It can capture up to 1080p. You can also choose a specific area of the screen to record. You can choose to record system audio as well.
  • You can edit the captured video and add and remove content as required. For example, you certainly want to remove the "ums" and "ahs" in your audio. You can also delete portions of the video where there was no screen action.
  • You can insert captions and callouts on the video. These can be images or text or combinations thereof.
  • It allows importin media files in a wide variety of formats. You can embed media files in several tracks.
  • Your produced video can be published in several formats and resolutions up to 1080p. There are options to publish directly to popular platforms such as YouTube, Google Drive, OneDrive, Screencast.com, etc.
  • Nothing that I can think of.
Camtasia is apt for producing videos to promote software products. It is also appropriate for producing videos for information purposes about software systems, typically used in product documentation.
December 20, 2018
Mark Nowowiejski | TrustRadius Reviewer
We use Camtasia on a regular basis for online course modules as well as in the creation of technical training materials. Its preloaded call out effects, pan and zoom feature, and simple linear editor make it a fairly usable for even more novice faculty to use. Additionally, we've also noted quite a few enhancements and they've worked to make the Mac and PC versions more consistent than they were originally.
  • Pre-canned special effects, transitions, and callouts
  • ability to integrate/publish to your LMS with the additional of the RELAY software (recommended)
  • The export process can be slow and it can monopolize your machine's RAM. It is difficult to do other tasks while Camtasia is rendering your final product.
  • Old versions can be temperamental and occasionally corrupt/refuse to open if you don't practice good file management. Keep your files organized in with a master project folder!
  • The built-in Screencast hosting solution isn't very good. We usually end up rendering and hosting elsewhere. (private Vimeo Channel, YouTube or Kaltura)
It's pretty industry standard software at this point and it integrated well with TechSmith's other software like Snaggit, JING etc. A hardcore multimedia/video person can learn it easily but may find it restrictive and prefer to use a more robust tool such as Adobe Premiere or After Effects. However, it is still a solid capturing tool to start with. Unfortunately, the program's native file type (.cmp?) doesn't really carry over well to anything else. We typically convert to .mp4 or .mov and go from there.
Read Mark Nowowiejski's full review
November 30, 2018
William Ruthrauff | TrustRadius Reviewer
In my current role, I am responsible for the departmental communications. My team sets up knowledge share meetings, VP Town Hall meetings, etc. All of which involves video recordings. Often we need to either trim down videos or edit gaps. Camtasia is the first product I go to. I also use the software to combine images into videos to commemorate our employees participating in community events. And lastly, I will use Camtasia to create quick training videos.
  • The interface is very easy to use. Without any experience, a person can quickly create or edit and produce it in a format you need.
  • Camtasia offers many extras included with the software at such a low price point.
  • The product is feature rich. There are transitions and the ability to create animations. Many tools that allow a person to create a professional video.
  • TechSmith offers many tutorials, both in video format and in articles. They have a great support system.
  • I'm hard pressed to find areas that need improvement. If I could recommend anything, it would be a faster video creation.
One of Camtasia's strengths is the fact that it can be used without any knowledge of video editing, giving anyone the ability to begin their first project right away. The program is very intuitive and for those areas you might need help, you can quickly find a "How to" video on the internet.

Due to the ease of use, it comes in handy cleaning up videos from any source, even your smartphone. It can create product demonstration videos, training videos, even personal videos. Due to transitions, pan and zoom and animations, you will be producing professional videos that you can be very proud of. The product even provides quite a few royalty-free audio clips to be used as background audio in any type of video project.

The only criticism I can offer is the length of time it takes to create the final video when you have completed editing. (I honestly think it really isn't that long - we just have the expectation of everything being instantaneous) However, I do know that TechSmith has committed to an annual release schedule and will work continuously to improve an already excellent product.
Read William Ruthrauff's full review

What is Camtasia?

Camtasia from TechSmith is a tool for making screen and video recordings.

Camtasia Pricing

• Does not have featureFree Trial Available?No
Business$249.99Per User*
Education$199.99Per User*
Government & Non-Profit$223.99Per User*

*Discounts available for purchases supporting a large volume of users.

Camtasia Technical Details