https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/hT/5F/EE6JEMET8MU6.PNGMid-level editing suited for new users with a real interest in editing and captureCamtasia is currently being used at our institution as a mid-range capture and editing platform for faculty, students, and staff. They are typically guided to use Camtasia over our simpler solutions if they need to add media into their production after recording - including photos, video, text, or music. Camtasia is a benefit to those users who need a slightly more robust solution (beyond simply capture and delivery), and allows them to learn only one piece of software for both creation, manipulation, and exporting a compressed file ready for delivery. We only retain a limited number of licenses because many users are satisfied with our simpler platform and only need capture and basic trimming features.,Provides an all-in-one software for capture and editing Guides users through the process of using the software for the first time Allows voiceover and editing in one system without the need to export/transfer and re-time or re-edit to align the VO with the visuals,There are very frequent updates recently, and with little to no improvement - but consistently bothering the user to upgrade whenever the software is opened. Deploying site-wide can be frustrating unless you buy a certain number of licenses and qualify for centralized license management It offers too many features in some cases - lots of things like animation and greenscreen are never touched by our users, and it would be nice to have an alternative UI or cheaper version that is even more watered down.,7,Single licenses allow for us to deploy a limited mid-range solution for editing and capture,ilos, Adobe Premiere Pro and iMovie,OneDrive, Todoist, Wunderlist,Trimming videos (from the end or removing a section in the middle) recording/replacing voiceover,Exporting - it defaults to an export option that includes HTML, java and other files that are completely unnecessary unless you are hosting your own website. Not intuitive at all for the average video creator Adjusting and finding audio controls has gotten more difficult over the past years splitting audio and video to adjust each independently of the other,No,7Camtasia - Great Screencasting softwareWe use Camtasia for a number of screencasts for trainings and marketing material. We run through product demos, but also record animated slides from PowerPoint (although I do not use the PP plug-in - I just record it while running the presentation). Camtasia is quite intuitive and easy for quick edits of the recorded videos. We even use it sometimes for basic audio recordings (exporting the video file as an mp3), and have put in some actual video (interviews, introductions, etc.) for export. Be warned, however, that it's not really designed for that, so the program can get really choppy when trying to edit.,Love the interface. Easy to navigate and edit. The audio editing works very well. You can get down to a frame by frame edit. There is also a noise reduction option that is really good at getting rid of ambient noises (like an HVAC noise). Adding some basic effects, callouts, transitions, and zooms are easy to do, and makes our videos more compelling.,When you lower audio down to a very low level (less than 20% of original volume), it's very hard to edit out areas or splice music together. A vertical zoom of the timeline with audio would be nice. Could do a better job managing video, and not just screencasts. Any 'real' video gets pretty choppy when you try to use for introductions or transitions. Camtasia Recorder sometimes does a random reset for preferences, which might default to my laptop built-in microphone instead of the bluetooth mic I have plugged in. Or the recording dimensions change. So it's a good idea to always do a 5 second test recording before you actually record, to make sure your audio preference is correctly selected.,10,Hard to give exact ROI numbers, but we have been able to create customer-facing videos in a fraction of the time (and no extra budget needed) for showcasing our latest product features.,Articulate StorylineCamtasia is a must have tool for Media Creation!Camtasia is being used for training, support, and marketing within our company. We can easily create and edit training videos to include step by step instructions, alternate audio, and focus on key features. Camtasia also is used by our marketing team to create videos for prospective clients through emails, Youtube and social media. This product is simple to begin using and the UI is great.,Editing Video Mixing Audio Tracks Providing a Library Elements to Add to Videos Sync's with social platforms for quick upload,There could be easy to locate tutorials for creating transitions and elements within the software. Would like it to include more options to provide detailed descriptions in YouTube videos that are upload via Camtasia. Would like the ability to save Audio only files from the editor.,10,Camtasia provides a positive impact to our training at a minimal cost. Camtasia provides a positive impact with our marketing material. Camtasia provides a positive impact with our client support material.,iMovie, Adobe Premiere Pro and Final Cut Pro X,iMovie, Weebly, Adobe PhotoshopCamtasia - A great Screen Capture and Basic Video Editing SoftwareOur institution uses Camtasia for screen recording of powerpoints or other software uses for instruction. Voice over powerpoints are great for our instructors and very easy to create, edit, and share. I even share with instructors how to edit other videos they are creating - Camtasia is a good basic video editor that doesn't take a long time to master.,Screen Capture - very easily grabs computer software, audio, and webcam for a pictures in picture if needed. Great basic video editor - with a nice set of video editing tools and not too much skill needed to learn, Camtasia is a very nice little video editor that can be used by all. Great tutorials online - I always send the tutorials to instructors to get them started and then help them as they continue to use the software and have questions.,I can't really think of any issues Mac versions and PC versions are different, but they keep getting closer and they do allow for cross platform projects, which is very helpful!,10,better quality videos faster turn around time for videos to be createdA great way to create and edit engaging videosCamtasia is regularly used in collaboration with my clients to record, edit and create training videos for on-demand learning and education.,Easy editing of pre-made videos - Often I get videos made by others that have issues. Camtasia makes it easy to take those videos apart and put them back together again Importing media; audio, images, other clips and transitions - makes it much easier to assemble my video and adjust it export video - several options based on your need, your audience and the type of viewing experience you want your end user to have,Always have to remember that the original file is in a proprietary format and can sometimes get saved in locations on your hard drive that are hard to find. A warning or instructions when saving would be helpful. Sometimes for no reason the "start from the beginning" button doesn't work and you have to manually slide to the beginning of your creation. I'd like to see annotations and highlights that I added to my clips move with the image if I adjust it. Otherwise I find that my annotations and additions are slightly off during playback and I have to go back and adjust them again. Would love to have a collaboration feature where two people in different locations could work on the same video at the same time, or at least switch back and forth in the creation.,9,Camtasia has allowed me to offer new services to my clients who don't have the time or experience to create their own content Camtasia has reduced the time I have to spend editing and creating detailed and engaging videos for training,iMovie,Adobe Connect,No,Price Product Features Product Usability,Thats the point - the process was easy because once I tried it, it worked. why look further?,importing media manipulating media in the timebar, adding transitions and annotations,adjusting the transitions to the right length and start time,No,7
Camtasia

Camtasia Reviews

Camtasia
Filter 76 vetted Camtasia reviews and ratings
Paul Weber profile photo
October 22, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Mid-level editing suited for new users with a real interest in editing and capture"

• Provides an all-in-one software for capture and editing
  • Guides users through the process of using the software for the first time
  • Allows voiceover and editing in one system without the need to export/transfer and re-time or re-edit to align the VO with the visuals
  • There are very frequent updates recently, and with little to no improvement - but consistently bothering the user to upgrade whenever the software is opened.
  • Deploying site-wide can be frustrating unless you buy a certain number of licenses and qualify for centralized license management
  • It offers too many features in some cases - lots of things like animation and greenscreen are never touched by our users, and it would be nice to have an alternative UI or cheaper version that is even more watered down.
Camtasia is great for new users who have never edited before but need more capability than something like iMovie or Windows Movie Maker. Camtasia is not as well suited for true beginners who only need to record and deliver because the interface quickly feels overwhelming. It is also not a full-featured NLE for professionals, as the media options, effects, and exporting leaves much to be desired.
Read Paul Weber's full review
Chris Bloom profile photo
May 28, 2018

Review: "Camtasia - Great Screencasting software"

• Love the interface. Easy to navigate and edit.
  • The audio editing works very well. You can get down to a frame by frame edit. There is also a noise reduction option that is really good at getting rid of ambient noises (like an HVAC noise).
  • Adding some basic effects, callouts, transitions, and zooms are easy to do, and makes our videos more compelling.
  • When you lower audio down to a very low level (less than 20% of original volume), it's very hard to edit out areas or splice music together. A vertical zoom of the timeline with audio would be nice.
  • Could do a better job managing video, and not just screencasts. Any 'real' video gets pretty choppy when you try to use for introductions or transitions.
  • Camtasia Recorder sometimes does a random reset for preferences, which might default to my laptop built-in microphone instead of the bluetooth mic I have plugged in. Or the recording dimensions change. So it's a good idea to always do a 5 second test recording before you actually record, to make sure your audio preference is correctly selected.
If you're doing any screencasts or powerpoint slide demos that you want to record, Camtasia is the program for you. It's pretty quick to learn, and has enough features for editing and publishing without overwhelming the interface. From time to time, we overclock what it was designed to do in order to make some interesting video mixed with the screencast. That said, if you're looking for true video editing, go with a Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, or even iMovie.
Read Chris Bloom's full review
Kris Lambert profile photo
September 11, 2018

Review: "Camtasia is a must have tool for Media Creation!"

• Editing Video
  • Mixing Audio Tracks
  • Providing a Library Elements to Add to Videos
  • Sync's with social platforms for quick upload
  • There could be easy to locate tutorials for creating transitions and elements within the software.
  • Would like it to include more options to provide detailed descriptions in YouTube videos that are upload via Camtasia.
  • Would like the ability to save Audio only files from the editor.
Camtasia is so easy to use that I have not found a scenario where it is inappropriate to use as a video creation tool. It is great for quick videos such as introductions, tips, Youtube videos and can also be used to record your screen (including audio) and then turn around and edit the recording for use.
Read Kris Lambert's full review
Mike Garretson profile photo
August 08, 2018

Review: "Camtasia - A great Screen Capture and Basic Video Editing Software"

• Screen Capture - very easily grabs computer software, audio, and webcam for a pictures in picture if needed.
  • Great basic video editor - with a nice set of video editing tools and not too much skill needed to learn, Camtasia is a very nice little video editor that can be used by all.
  • Great tutorials online - I always send the tutorials to instructors to get them started and then help them as they continue to use the software and have questions.
  • I can't really think of any issues
  • Mac versions and PC versions are different, but they keep getting closer and they do allow for cross platform projects, which is very helpful!
Creating a voice over powerpoint video to teach on a specific topic and sharing the final video.
Read Mike Garretson's full review
Kevin Gudmundsen profile photo
August 03, 2018

Camtasia Review: "A great way to create and edit engaging videos"

• Easy editing of pre-made videos - Often I get videos made by others that have issues. Camtasia makes it easy to take those videos apart and put them back together again
  • Importing media; audio, images, other clips and transitions - makes it much easier to assemble my video and adjust it
  • export video - several options based on your need, your audience and the type of viewing experience you want your end user to have
  • Always have to remember that the original file is in a proprietary format and can sometimes get saved in locations on your hard drive that are hard to find. A warning or instructions when saving would be helpful.
  • Sometimes for no reason the "start from the beginning" button doesn't work and you have to manually slide to the beginning of your creation.
  • I'd like to see annotations and highlights that I added to my clips move with the image if I adjust it. Otherwise I find that my annotations and additions are slightly off during playback and I have to go back and adjust them again.
  • Would love to have a collaboration feature where two people in different locations could work on the same video at the same time, or at least switch back and forth in the creation.
Well suited for:
Creating explainer videos
Adjusting the sound and video when they dont line up
Converting a video for use in another platform - example - converting a windows file to an mp4 for use in Adobe Connect
uploading to Screencast for easier access by end users
Creating training videos
Read Kevin Gudmundsen's full review
Jackie Ramos profile photo
June 11, 2018

Review: "Camtasia best video and audio software out there."

We are currently using it to create training videos for our end users. Right now it's only being used by 2 departments. I also use it to create and convert other videos for our events to help streamline presentations. It's quick to create and convert many videos and pretty simple to use.
  • Quick to create and convert videos. Good Training and supported videos for beginners.
  • You can import any type of media, PPT, audio, video, photos, etc.
  • Training videos are excellent.
  • Their support staff is also great.
  • Always imporving their software.
  • Maybe the screen capture syncing with the audio. Sometime you can get a delay on it.
  • Quick training video for end-user support.
  • Good converting and uploading video contact to the web.
Read Jackie Ramos's full review
Vicky Bisbach profile photo
May 28, 2018

User Review: "I highly recommend Camtasia!"

My company is a software training and consulting company. Camtasia is our primary program for creating and editing training and informational videos. Because of this, I work with Camtasia almost daily. I can quickly and effortlessly create professional looking videos with annotations, transitions, animations, etc. with no difficulty at all. Additionally, the share features allow me to produce too many different distribution methods quite easily. Because of this, I work with Camtasia almost daily.
  • Recording Options --The options I use are the webcam, computer screen, and voice narration. Other options include computer camera, voice narration, and other audio.
  • Share Options -- Their share options give you great flexibility. I share using the custom production option as .mp4. You can also share directly to Screencast.com, Vimeo, YouTube, Google Drive, create your own custom production, export a frame or even export audio only.
  • Video Enhancement Options -- The video enhancement options allow you to create polished, professional looking videos with ease. They include text annotations, behaviors, cursor effects, visual effects, animations, zoom-n-pan animations, transitions and editor properties.
  • Help - Their help feature is incredible. They have everything you need right at your fingertips, including step by step instructions, definitions, tutorials, AND their support is Phenomenal!
  • Splicing -- The splicing feature doesn't seem as straight forward as other features.
Camtasia is a great program for creating professional looking videos easily as there is not a huge learning curve to get started. If you watch their videos, you can quickly pick up the program and run with it!
Read Vicky Bisbach's full review
Enrique Cuarental Bolet profile photo
May 28, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Take your training and how-to demo videos to the next level in the YouTube digital era"

Camtasia is used in my department to share how to videos and demo paths of the solutions we offer.
It is a standard in the market. Super powerful when you are recording your screen because later you can edit that recording and add compelling effects that take your explanations to the next level.
  • Outstanding recording capabilities with no hassle
  • Ability to edit in a compelling way the recordings to illustrate the explanations
  • Video conversion capabilities that allow you to customize the video format and quality depending on the media on which it is going to be shared
  • I would suggest allowing the users to schedule recordings. That would be really useful when you would like to record a meeting
It is super useful to use it for preparing training videos and how-to demos for customers and employees.
The tools that it provides allow you to go straight forward to unleash your creativity and focus on getting the job done.
Read Enrique Cuarental Bolet's full review
Katie Flanagan profile photo
May 25, 2018

User Review: "Happy Camtasia user"

We use Camtasia to create screen-capture marketing videos and how-to videos to educate our customers on how to use our product.
  • Easy video editing - it's a simple interface that lets you easily edit video and audio.
  • Preset media - I leverage a lot of the media templates to save time (I'm not a graphic designer).
  • Annotations - It's easy to add assets like the lower thirds and custom design them.
  • The export process is confusing, especially with where they output files.
  • I would like more audio editing functionality.
Camtasia is good for me, a non-video editor, to create and edit screen-capture videos. If you want advanced functionality, you probably need to go to a more expensive solution.
Read Katie Flanagan's full review
Kyle Jones profile photo
May 24, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Screen capture"

Camtasia is used across departments mainly for recording onscreen trainings, meetings, and other onscreen events.
  • Has advanced video editing features
  • Can easily record on screen trainings at high quality
  • Exports to different formats available
  • Speed of processing time takes a long time
  • Heavy application on computer resources
  • Bit of a learning curve to use
Good for high quality videos. Not so much useful for simple video capture where you don't need all the bells and whistles.
Read Kyle Jones's full review
May 25, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Easy to use and Powerful"

Camtasia is used by the marketing department to make our how-to videos, product presentations and any virtual training that our company provides. Since a lot of our videos have to be client specific, producing them in-house makes a lot more sense and proves to be much more cost-effective than hiring a 3rd party vendor.
  • Excellent technical support through demo videos.
  • Functionality is setup very logically.
  • Output quality of the video is excellent and not pixelated.
  • Range of animations is limited.
  • Posting interactions such as polls, QA's is not available.
  • Takes time to load.
Camtasia is a great product to produce in-house client specific how-to videos and training videos for our clients. The video quality is excellent. The fact that it can be used as both a screencast and an editing software is great. The timeline layout that allows you to see different parts of the video is a great functionality.

Interface is very clunky and it's not an advanced video editing tool.
Michael Whatley profile photo
March 05, 2018

Camtasia Review: "High Quality, Low Cost Video Production"

In our organization, we use videos to deliver information about changes to products, processes, and tools. On the training side, we also use videos to deliver training to our sales organization. These include tutorials, informational videos, or engagement videos. Camtasia has allowed us to broaden the number of users creating videos - allowing us to increase the volume of videos we produce as well as remove a bottleneck in the process.
  • Camtasia comes with a set of "library assets" which are templates, images, motion graphics, and audio files that fit together to create an overall style for a video. Without a lot of experience working with video, these help novice designers develop a more polished product more rapidly.
  • The interface itself is very intuitive. The tools provided with Camtasia allow users to do a lot with video and the way in which a user would accomplish various tasks is pretty easy to understand and execute.
  • Compared to more robust software platforms, like Adobe Premiere or Final Cut, Camtaisa lets people who don't need that level of software deliver high-quality video products quickly. Camtasia isn't basic and it isn't robust - but it certainly meets the need for the price point.
  • Camtasia could do better on their keying performance. By that, I mean the ability to remove a specific color - for green screen execution. In my experience, it takes a little bit of time to fine-tune the settings to get a good quality color removal without seeing grainy edges.
  • The ability to manipulate the video with motion or rotation is slightly limited in Camtasia. Other programs such as Adobe Premiere or Final Cut have a lot more flexibility with video manipulation that isn't always necessary in Camtasia; however, it would be nice to have a few more options in this area.
  • Actual video editing - color correction, for example - is very limited in Camtasia. If you don't have a quality team filming your videos, then live action can become troublesome without the ability to adjust the footage since the tools are so limited in Camtasia related to that side of post-production.
Camtasia is great for screen captures for software tutorials or basic level video production. It's not as well suited for heavy motion graphics or animation. When it comes to the higher level production quality, I would recommend other platforms; however, Camtasia is a fantastic entry-level tool for people who are just getting started with videos. It's a very intuitive user interface with a fair amount of flexibility around what you can actually do with the various video elements.
Read Michael Whatley's full review
Daniel Darabaris, FPC PHR profile photo
March 30, 2018

User Review: "Super easy, user-friendly, Camtasia"

I use Camtasia to build fun and interactive webinars by utilizing the screen capture feature. I am also able to import separate, studio recorded audio into the tool to narrate the visuals. It is a great tool that is used across our organization for a number of different purposes.
  • Integrates Powerpoint slides
  • Animation
  • High quality, engaging presentations
  • More options to control file size would be nice
  • Custom transitions
  • Better selection of pre-made templates
Camtasia as a whole is easy to use and really excels at helping you put together a movie file quickly. If you are looking for something to bring your presentations to life, Camtasia is the easiest thing out there. While it is very helpful, it is not very powerful. Don't expect to create movie files that will be appropriate for creating TV ads or small commercials. It is better suited for presentations and mild animations.
Read Daniel Darabaris, FPC PHR's full review
Timothy Aulph profile photo
February 27, 2018

Camtasia Review: "In My 6+ Years Experience With This Tool, For the Money, You Cannot Do Better"

The ability to quickly create high-quality content has been outstanding! Not only have I been able to use this software to create e-Learning courses and videos, I have also been able to use it to create marketing type videos to use in presentations! The best part is I own this software! The cost of this software is very small compared to other authoring tools and is affordable enough for me to own my own license! Since I own my own license, I can have one copy of the software at work and one at home (I also use this software to create video game reviews)!
  • Compared to other authoring/video tools, this is very affordable
  • Great for rapid development!
  • Very Intuitive Interface
  • It is a memory hog so make sure you have the right hardware to create and publish videos
  • There isn't a cloud-based version of this software at this time
  • The audio tools are great, but, I believe there is room for improvement ;)
Quick, intuitive app that is great for developing videos quickly and efficiently. After watching the YouTube videos to get you started, you should have a video created in no time. Included assets, such as the built-in stencils, stamps, and callouts help the user complete a professional looking video. Easy to use publishing tools help guide you to publishing your work to your hard drive or YouTube!
Read Timothy Aulph's full review
Rahul Shinde profile photo
February 21, 2018

Review: "Camtasia Studio: Professional application to make training videos"

Camtasia Studio is one of the powerful tools for video recording. We have been using Camtasia Studio for last 4 years now. We use Camtasia Studio for creating tutorial videos for visitors by recording different instructions shown on computer screen. Camtasia Studio supports multiple video file formats. As of now, Camtasia Studio is used independently by various departments within our organization.
  • Recording Computer screen
  • Converting video file formats
  • Video editing
  • Need to watch training videos before making effective videos using Camtasia Studio
  • Does not schedule automatic recording
  • Not ideal for video editing professionals
Camtasia Studio is well suited when your main motive is to record computer screen and create videos using it. Camtasia Studio can be also used to edit such videos and convert them into a variety of video file formats.
Read Rahul Shinde's full review
Judy DeMartis profile photo
February 19, 2018

User Review: "Camtasia!"

I use Camtasia for new system functionality rollouts. I create training videos to align with online, in person and training materials for organizations.
  • Mobile screen captures
  • Editing ease
  • Easy file import/upload
  • Challenging viewability on a laptop screen to manage a complex timeline.
  • Looking for more exciting effects that are delivered with Camtasia.
The online help self-service feature can come with pros and cons. There is an abundance of information to reference. However, it is almost challenging to find the correct results for an issue.
Read Judy DeMartis's full review
Nicholas Wylam profile photo
February 13, 2018

User Review: "Camtasia - Create Custom Video"

Camtasia Studio is being used to create custom videos for our clients and their employees. It allows us to deliver custom and interacting client videos.
  • Camtasia allows you to create custom videos no matter your experience or background.
  • Camtasia has allowed us to create more than 100 plus custom videos for our clients. These videos allow our clients to educate their own employees.
  • Camtasia needs to have more unique video assets such as templates, backgrounds, callouts and music.
  • Camtasia needs to allow the users the ability to upload their videos across multiple platforms.
Camtasia is well suited for users that want to create custom videos without spending a lot of time and money.
Read Nicholas Wylam's full review
Randy Palmer profile photo
January 29, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Quick and easy"

Our team of instructional designers uses Camtasia to create instructional videos for our clients to learn how to use the software they purchase from us to perform their day to day duties.
  • Multi-channel audio and video editing
  • Use of call outs
  • Ability to provide quizzing
  • Assessment/performance based tests
Camtasia is easy to use making it quick to get started and get something published.
Read Randy Palmer's full review
Nancy Bergantzel CF APMP profile photo
January 29, 2018

User Review: "Camtasia for ease of video creation"

I use Camtasia to produce videos for our sales team to provide a visual demo of the type of services and solutions we can provide a customer. It allows us to give the customer an idea of the automated intelligence and personalization we can develop in an application without having to build the working app.
  • Import images and video files easily
  • Fully customizable
  • Ability to use template images and video clipa
  • Ability to import other media types. QuickTime. M4v
Great for videos that don’t require lots of animation of objects. Works well for simpler animation I really like it for the work I do. It allows me to capture working demos as well and then call out features of the app
Read Nancy Bergantzel CF APMP's full review
Matthew Warren profile photo
November 29, 2017

User Review: "using Camtasia as a training tool"

Camtasia is being to create training videos by our BIM staff for our Architectural and Engineering staff. The program is not used throughout the entire company because only people who are responsible for training use the program. Being a national firm with 7 offices throughout the country, the main business problem is addresses is project consistency throughout the company without having to travel to all the offices to do training.
  • The interface that Camtasia has with PowerPoint is very helpful because it makes recording a PowerPoint very simple.
  • The multiple formats available you can produce your video in.
  • The ease you can add tracks to a project. Both video and audio.
  • How easy it is to add a specific track to your library.
  • The ability to save your audio tracks by specific names.
  • The splicing feature is not very intuitive.
  • I would like the ability to un-dock the video screen.
It is very well suited when you can record in one program continuously, and when you have time to edit in post production. Another time Camtasia works well is when you have to match a video with a voice narration. An instance where it does not work well is when you have to toggle between multiple programs within one training video and cannot edit the recording later. It is also not very well suited when you need to do a quick recording of something. The setup and publish time came be time consuming.
Read Matthew Warren's full review
Joel Brache profile photo
November 28, 2017

Camtasia Review: "A great, easy to use, product to get you started."

We use Camtasia to generate training videos for our company, as well as sales and marketing videos that are used in our sales and marketing materials and websites. Camtasia allows us to easily record our screens while narrating a training session. This means that any user who needs to prepare a simple training video can do so. The training manager and I also use Camtasia to produce more professional videos that will be used on our websites and marketing materials.
  • Camtasia allows our users who have very little video production skills to generate narrated training videos to share throughout the company. This allows us to spread information more quickly to all departments.
  • Camtasia has a user friendly interface that allows power users to generate professional quality videos in a short amount of time.
  • Camtasia provides users with simple options for publishing videos at multiple resolutions. You are not bogged down by confusing dialogs or obscure terminology.
  • The track title column (far left) in the timeline cannot be made any wider and doesn't word wrap. If you have track titles beyond 8-10 characters, they will be cropped.
  • The media bin, where all your audio/video files for a project are listed, cannot be custom sorted. You can only sort by type, name, and duration.
  • You cannot have multiple Spotlights and spotlights are limited to rectangular shapes.
Camtasia is excellent for folks who are new to producing videos. It has great tutorials and there are a ton of videos on YouTube that will help you do exactly what you want to do. Camtasia is great for both personal use as well as small/medium businesses. If you are a professional developer, I think you will find Camtasia's tools too limited.
Read Joel Brache's full review
May 18, 2018

Review: "Camtasia Makes Instruction Video Creation Easy!"

Camtasia is used by several faculty members in various departments across campus and my office, Instructional Technology, to create instructional videos.
Faculty find Camtasia to be a useful asynchronous lecture recording tool, as it has a simplistic PowerPoint integration that allows for easy lecture recording, and the editing features within Camtasia are fairly intuitive and not intimidating. While some faculty members use Camtasia to create tutorial videos or videos to support in-class lecture, most of our faculty using Camtasia practices a flipped classroom model for instruction.
For Instructional Technology, Camtasia is great for creating how-to videos to introduce faculty to new tech tools on campus and guide faculty through the implementation of new features within tech tools we user regularly, such as updates in our learning management system.
  • Video Recording in PowerPoint - The PowerPoint integration makes video lectures recording via Camtasia straightforward. Once a video is recorded, users are naturally prompted to edit and produce within the Camtasia software, which makes for a smooth transition between applications.
  • Creating and Editing Screencast How-Tos - The editing features of Camtasia make it easy to produce quality, focused screencast tutorials.
  • In order to use the interactive quiz functions, videos must be produced and shared via Screencast, which is a limitation. Additionally, the actual quiz result reporting options are limited and a bit clunky in design.
Camtasia is great for creating lecture recordings and screencasts; however, it doesn't have extensive interactive whiteboard features, so faculty often find themselves limited in this way.
May 16, 2018

User Review: "My Thoughts about Camtasia"

Camtasia is being used by implementing voice over videos that are integrated onto our Moodle LMS. Camtasia also assists faculty when they want to upload an instructional video into their course for students to view. Faculty has also learned that you can design a video in Camtasia to ask quiz questions and they love this feature as well.
  • It's user-friendly and for the most part easily accessible for the user. I think the easier it is to use, the more likely someone will repeat usage with the software tool.
  • You're able to edit your audio as well as import audio from other sources into Camtasia.
  • I don't know of anything at the moment and I can't think of anything Camtasia can do differently. I like using the tool.
Well suited: I think Camtasia is definitely a tool to use when doing voice overs and wanting to display some type of simulation video. I also think Camtasia is good when wanting to input music in the background of your presentation.

Less Suited: I think if you're putting together a simple presentation then Camtasia wouldn't really be necessary. I think if you really don't need to input any audio and/or music then Camtasia may not be needed.
May 02, 2018

Camtasia Review: "Video Recording tool for everyone!"

Our organization uses Camtasia in a number of different ways:
1. Recording product demos and walk throughs. This is one of our prominent use-cases. As we record a demo of every feature our platform offers. We can then use these videos to train new-hires, partners, etc.
2. Video editing - each video has different sections outlining the feature to describe its capabilities.
  • Screen recording - Use Camtasia avidly to record new product features and its capabilities. We then use these videos to train new-hires, partners, etc.
  • Ability to edit - Camtasia offers a variety of tools to edit the recording.
  • Intuitiveness - for someone with no experience in video editing, Camtasia's application is very easy to use and understand. Ramp up time is very short.
  • After a few times editing or saving a few copies, exporting the video can cause a loss in quality.
  • Special effects are limited
One of the primary reasons for using Camtasia is creating product walk-throughs and overview videos. This allows us to easily show what the feature is, the capabilities and the value it brings to our customers. We then use these videos as training material, sales enablement materials and for marketing events. Camtasia is used throughout our organization. Anyone who is not a video editing pro, but looking for an inexpensive and intuitive video editing tool should try Camtasia.
Jennifer Magoon profile photo
September 15, 2017

User Review: "LOVE Camtasia!"

I cannot speak to other departments in the university, but I work in the learning and development department that supports training our staff. I use to to create quick tutorials to send to staff to reduce the amount of time they are away from their students in full on training. It allows for them to be able to learn when it is most convenient for them. I also use it to edit video recorded by our media services department. We record training sessions and afterwards I use Camtasia to splice the larger video into a number of smaller more digestible recordings.
  • Editing! I am in no way an experienced video editor but Camtasia makes me look like a pro!
  • Adding in labels, arrows, text etc on top of a previously recorded video.
  • My favorite is the ability to record my screen quickly and easily. It helps me with colleagues who may not be on site, I can show them quickly how to do something by using camtasia and then sending them the video.
  • I would love if Camtasia had whiteboard animation built in.
  • I wish the zoom feature was a bit more zoomy. I feel like when I zoom in all the way to make snips, that I could be more precise with a few more levels of zoom.
  • I wish Camtasia had clip art available to insert.
Camtasia is appropriate whenever you are trying to do any amateur video editing. I have had little "training" on it. it is very intuitive and has saved me a lot of time and frustration. I really love that you can cut pieces of video out, add Powerpoint slides in, and add arrows and callouts to support your message.
Read Jennifer Magoon's full review

About Camtasia

Camtasia from TechSmith is a tool for making screen and video recordings.

Camtasia Technical Details