Score 8.3 out of 10

What is Canvas LMS?

Instructure is an educational software company based in Sandy, Utah. It is the developer of the Canvas learning management system, which is a comprehensive software package that competes with such systems as Blackboard Learning System, SumTotal and Saba.

Helpful Platform for Students

January 07, 2022
Canvas has been integrated into one of my businesses as a virtual and in-person learning tool to help students (and professors!) study …

Great LMS

November 05, 2021
We used it as a Learning Management System--I posted assignments and grades on Canvas, and students could use it to check their daily …

• Assignments (41)
  • Course authoring (41)
  • Course catalog or library (38)
  • Mobile friendly (40)
    5.6

Leaving a video review helps other professionals like you evaluate products. Be the first one in your network to record a review of Canvas LMS, and make your voice heard!

For the latest information on pricing, visithttps://forms.gle/v7YTSKfA6h1RcnSNA

138 people want pricing too

Sorry, this product's description is unavailable

What is Moodle?

Moodle is an open source Learning Management System used by educational institutions. The product is administered by the Moodle Project which is led by Moodle HQ in Australia.

Product Demos

Welcome to Canvas Network
00:43

Features

Learning Management

Features of LMS and LCMS systems, related to designing, administering, and consuming learning content in an educational, corporate, or on-the-job context.

7.8Avg 8.1

What is Canvas LMS?

Canvas LMS is a widely used learning management system by colleges and universities in North America. It delivers dynamic, engaging learning experiences, and boasts 99.99% uptime to ensure instant connection between students and educators.

Canvas LMS Features

Canvas LMS Technical Details

Deployment TypesSoftware as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based
Mobile ApplicationApple iOS, Android, Mobile Web
Supported CountriesGlobal

Blackboard Learn by Anthology, Infor Learning Management, and Edmodo are common alternatives for Canvas LMS.

Reviewers rate Assignments highest, with a score of 8.7.

The most common users of Canvas LMS are from Mid-sized Companies (51-1,000 employees).

Nicolas Hanhan | TrustRadius Reviewer
Canvas is more cost-effective when compared to Blackboard Learn. Canvas has lately worked on features improvement especially in the grade center, for example, moving columns around like an Excel sheet, a feature not found in Blackboard Learn.
Although I was not on the committee that chose Canvas, I utilized Google Classroom as a student and very sporadically as a staff member. Navigating groups or shared sites with Google Classroom proved especially tough. It was not user-friendly at all when I used it to schedule mandatory training for students at one of my colleges! The organization was inaccessible to half of the pupils, and they couldn't figure out how to "enroll". I only utilized this feature for a year until we switched, and after that, I changed jobs and stopped using any [other] platform. I've been using Canvas since returning to academic work, and it's already proving to be far more effective than [Google] Classroom. It's easy to adjust according to our requirements, so I can shape it to fit. Blackboard was not as simple (as far as I recall).
Canvas is in the experience way better than Google Classroom. Canvas has a more robust agenda system that also allows adding in new personal deadlines. [Assignments] can be submitted past [the] deadline (if allowed), this isn't allowed by Google [Classroom], If you're too late you can't submit anything anymore. In Classroom [assignments], presentations/theory, and [announcements] are all put in 1 feed instead which gets confusing way faster.
Canvas is more secure, has a cleaner design, and has more features. For the features, they have in common canvas still stacks up against [Smart school] by going for the extra mile. Besidfor e that, [the] canvas looks a lot more [professional] than [Smart school]. I didn't make the decision myself to get canvas instead of [Smart school] but I'm happy they did.
November 05, 2021

Great LMS

Canvas is a stronger platform. I used it as a teacher AND as a student in graduate school, and it is just the most put-together, professional version of a learning management system that I've used or seen. I do assume that Canvas is more expensive than its competitors, which would be the main reason that my school does not currently use it.
Chris Wilkey | TrustRadius Reviewer
I have used Blackboard for years and Canvas blows it out of the water. I always felt like Blackboard was outdated and using Canvas has really sped up my teaching and course creation. What used to take me days, now just takes a few hours. There was a slight learning curve, but I am loving Canvas.
Moodle is open source and it is free. So we can implement our own server with Moodle very easily. But it is not very customizable. When we need a new feature, it is very hard to change as we do not have the ability to change. Canvas has been great help in this because we can actually request features and they will help us.
Canvas is a powerful learning management tool that combines so many key elements of an actual classroom and allows teachers to mirror their classroom environment into a virtual platform. It is simply amazing what can be done on Canvas. Grading systems/analysis, progress monitoring, collaboration with other teachers/staff and student discussions with peers. Canvas does it all!
Canvas takes the better parts of both Skyward and Google Classroom and combines them to work pretty seamlessly - grading, assignments, attendance, document/file sharing - all integrated into one platform. In addition, the internal communication feature makes communication between student and instructor easy to track and follow. That is a great addition to the overall package.
Patrick Woessner | TrustRadius Reviewer
Canvas was far easier to use, more feature rich, and much better supported. Teachers and students prefer it to the other solutions we've evaluated or used in the past. Anything that kids can use with minimal instruction is a major win for schools.
Justin Harbin | TrustRadius Reviewer
Canvas provided the most modern UI, which remains intuitive despite holding a significant feature set. The ability to manage a portfolio of online courses through the blueprinting feature really set this apart from our past LMS's, which provided significant cost savings and investment in hiring personnel.

Ease of use and mobile friendly approach provided massive advantages that truly shone through as the pandemic hit and all faculty at all of our locations were required to use the LMS significantly. We are incredibly grateful to have been with Canvas during this time.
Shay Kotian | TrustRadius Reviewer
How content is delivered using Moodle is not up to the mark when compared to Canvas. The user interface is clunky when compared to a much simple and easy to understand user interface that of Canvas. Configuring Moodle can be quite tedious if one comes from a non-IT background. Customizing features in Moodle generally requires a Moodle developer.
Ashley Milton | TrustRadius Reviewer
I was not part of the team that selected Canvas, however, I used Blackboard as a student and very little as a staff member. Blackboard was especially difficult in navigating organizations or shared sites. I used it to organize mandatory training for students in one of my colleges, and it was not user-friendly at all! Half of the students couldn't access the organization, or couldn't figure out how to "enroll". I only used this feature for one year before we made the switch, and then I changed positions and didn't use any platform. Upon my return to some academic work, I've been using Canvas and it is already incredibly more useful than Blackboard. It is easier to manipulate based on our needs, so I can mold it to fit. Blackboard (from what I remember) was not as easy.
Canvas has some unique features that are superior to Google Classroom, but I prefer Google Classroom because of its ease of use. It does have some of the same problems as Canvas though in terms of assigning work to particular students.
Victoria L. | TrustRadius Reviewer
Canvas surpasses Blackboard not only visually, but technically as well. It offers more customization options, as well as more features for students and teachers a like in regard to grading, notifications, and uploading files. It also seems to stream videos more successfully, thus improving the remote learning experience. Finally, it connects with one's email seamlessly
February 18, 2020

Canvas

Canvas is a pricey option, at least when compared to something open source like Moodle. Personally, I don't feel that Canvas has the same ability to customize as Moodle. However, the customer support from Canvas makes it stand out. With an open-source platform, it might be free, but no one is there to help when a problem occurs. Since not all the staff in a school will be super technically able, it is great to have the support that is always there to help them better use this tool.
Joshua Welsh | TrustRadius Reviewer
Canvas is much more flexible and modern than Moodle or Blackboard where I started with programs like this in 2013. I don't actually make this choice though. In other words, I didn't select Canvas, but I am happy that the administrators here at CWU made that selection. I think it's a better LMS than its competitors from what I've seen.
The Canvas interface is easier for students to use and navigate. It is also cleaner so students enjoy using the tool more than Sakai. Canvas was easier for our IT department to implement. Training faculty on how to use Canvas was easier than Sakai. The analytics in Canvas are more robust than in Sakai.