Capital IQ is a market intelligence software solution offered by S&P Global Market Intelligence, which is the result of McGraw Hill Financial's acquisition of SNL Financial.https://dudodiprj2sv7.cloudfront.net/product-logos/FT/sZ/X4F8BSQ39T2K.JPEGGreat tool for the M&A sectorThe junior staff in the investment bank I used to work for was responsible for creating initial pitch books and presentations on potential clients. S&P Capital IQ was very helpful next to other tools like Bloomberg Terminal to acquire important financial information and quick resumes whenever needed and WHERE EVER needed. With Bloomberg, you have to do this through the terminal, where CapIQ is browser based.,You can use it on any device, and do not have to go to a terminal and leave your desk. Interactive PDF reports can be exported, Bloomberg is not that good at this. Balance sheets, Profit & Loss Statements and so on.,Sources. In Bloomberg, when you click on a figure anywhere it leads you to the source. That is a great feature, as in finance everything has to be backed with the original source. Cannot always find the needed information, the menu is too complex.,7,We were a boutique investment bank, so it helped multiple people doing their job at the same time instead of waiting for a turn on the Bloomberg terminal. Brought more interactive reports in PDF format to the table. Saved some money, if I have to go basic.,bureau van dijk, Bloomberg Terminal and Mergermarket,The most common report in my business back then was the "company profile". We usually wasted hours in research and design of basic information for a 2 page company report, where CapIQ compiled it in 2 seconds and we just had to redesign it in our presentations. It saved us days.A financial data tool that actually works!I have used Capital IQ to do proper valuations of various companies we were trying to sell in the Healthcare space. This resource allowed me to finish my work more accurately and quickly than I could have done without the tool. It also provided me a lot of help when constructing the buyers list for a sell-side M&A transaction.,I really enjoy the screening tool and getting a sense of certain types of transactions that have occurred in the market. I really like the company descriptions to get a sense of what the company does. I found the private equity profiles, their investment criteria, and fund size extremely helpful when creating a buyer's list.,Sometimes the tool does not bifurcate the data as you need it when running the screening tool. For example, I cannot pull a certain advisor and its physical address. It would allow me to pull all advisor addresses on a deal.,10,It has saved me a ton of time and allowed me to close more deals faster.,bloomberg,I used to generate comparable company reports and potential buyers for a specific sell-side transaction. Also, learning about companies was very helpful through this tool.,LinkedIn Sales Navigator, Workday Human Capital Management, ADP Workforce NowRecap on Cap IQI used S&P Capital IQ as an employee at Xavier University in the Trading Center in the business building. The Trading Center had 30 or so Bloomberg terminals, and these terminals also had Capital IQ software on them. I used Capital IQ to help in my credit analysis of bonds and equity securities.,It was very helpful to be able to create your own table based on the information important to you. You could then export this table into an excel document. It was very easy to use and had links to a list of competitors and supplier which proved to be beneficial.,I used Capital IQ mostly to value equity and fixed income securities. Sometimes it was easier to find what I was looking for on Bloomberg with the keyboard shortcuts. Then again there was some information that was much easier to obtain through Cap IQ.,7,For people new to financial software, Capital IQ helped bridge the gap between no experience and being on expert at Bloomberg. It was definitely easier for new people to pick up and there was a faster learning curve to it.,Bloomberg and Yahoo Finance,What I loved is that I was able to create reports from scratch for equity valuation, stock picking, and credit analysis. Bloomberg has a feature where it is linked to your Excel spreadsheet to give you the most recent prices of your securities which was helpful.SNL Financial now S&P Capital IQ is the best service provider I have ever used, better than the Ritz and Tesla.SNL Financial is one of the best service providers I have ever used. The aggregate data on a complex industry and provide robust and detailed search capabilities, up-to-the-minute news coverage and excellent customer service. If I need a stat on a particular company or and industry trend, they have it. If I can't find the info, they have a friendly person to help me.,Exceptional customer service 24/7! They are always there and always give me exactly what I need usually within an hour or for larger research projects within 8 hours. Extremely well-informed people on every level. They deal with complex and ever changing data with stellar expertise. Always up, always accurate and they pay you if you find an error in their data. I have collected exactly twice in 15 years over thousands of companies and documents. It is a coupe to get a reward from SNL!,I have never been disappointed in their breadth or depth of information or their customer service. They are the best vendor I have ever used!,10,We use them every day and they make me look smart. How does it get better than that?,,Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC,Briefing books, current and historical financial data, current and historical institutional ownership and peer analytics; all fantastic.,5,,Accessing current and historical financial data Identifying current and historical institutional owners Peer analysis,Knowledge is power and they give us high velocity data.,They offer so many things that we just don't know about. We should do more training with them (which is free and easy).,10Capital IQ - Reliable, widely used, and adaptableCapital IQ is primarily used for valuation purposes, including compiling statistics for comparable companies, whether publicly traded or on a precedent transactions basis. The product is used by the investment team, and helps address questions related to market data, valuation parameters for specific industries, and stock price performance over time.,Data aggregation and charting. We consistently use Capital IQ's data collection abilities for comparing multiple indices and/or individual publicly traded securities. Excel integration. Cap IQ's Excel plug-in is extremely useful for performing valuation analyses, and allows one to easily update key market metrics for ongoing use. Transaction monitoring. Cap IQ maintains a reliable and continuously updated store of M&A transactions that one can reference for the purpose of analyzing deal activity in a particular industry subsector.,User Interface. While Cap IQ is generally user friendly, the software can be unwieldy on certain internet browsers, and methods for compiling specific market data can be challenging at times (as it relates to charting). Debt Market Data. Cap IQ's capabilities on reporting bankruptcies and statistics related to bankruptcies could use some refining, particularly for investors who frequently look at distressed debt or special situations investments.,10,Cap IQ has helped tremendously with employee efficiency when it comes to investment analysis and gaining market perspective. The service is relied upon for use in financial modeling as well.,Bloomberg,PitchBook,Reports typically generated with Cap IQ include stock price performance charts, precedent transaction analysis, public company comparables analysis, and individual company financial performance over time. The reports tend to meet our needs almost all of the time, and the Cap IQ help desk service is there to assist regarding more niche or esoteric requests.
S&P Capital IQ

S&P Capital IQ Reviews

S&P Capital IQ
Filter 15 vetted S&P Capital IQ reviews and ratings
February 23, 2018

S&P Capital IQ Review: "Great tool for the M&A sector"

• You can use it on any device, and do not have to go to a terminal and leave your desk.
  • Interactive PDF reports can be exported, Bloomberg is not that good at this.
  • Balance sheets, Profit & Loss Statements and so on.
  • Sources. In Bloomberg, when you click on a figure anywhere it leads you to the source. That is a great feature, as in finance everything has to be backed with the original source.
  • Cannot always find the needed information, the menu is too complex.
S&P Capital IQ is very good for office environments, where the employees have to log in from different machines and locations. Everyone gets login information and uses the devices on hand, while if you only have Bloomberg you are bound to a terminal. The information is reliable for initial itching but has to be double checked for anything further of course.
November 29, 2017

S&P Capital IQ Review: "A financial data tool that actually works!"

• I really enjoy the screening tool and getting a sense of certain types of transactions that have occurred in the market.
  • I really like the company descriptions to get a sense of what the company does.
  • I found the private equity profiles, their investment criteria, and fund size extremely helpful when creating a buyer's list.
  • Sometimes the tool does not bifurcate the data as you need it when running the screening tool. For example, I cannot pull a certain advisor and its physical address. It would allow me to pull all advisor addresses on a deal.
I think Capital IQ is great for financial analysis and determining the valuation of a company. It is also great for learning about a business and determining other comparable companies in the same industry. It can also be a value add to a sales force that is trying to identify certain types of companies they want to target/sell into.
Caitlin A. Mabe profile photo
April 14, 2017

S&P Capital IQ Review: "Recap on Cap IQ"

• It was very helpful to be able to create your own table based on the information important to you. You could then export this table into an excel document.
  • It was very easy to use and had links to a list of competitors and supplier which proved to be beneficial.
  • I used Capital IQ mostly to value equity and fixed income securities. Sometimes it was easier to find what I was looking for on Bloomberg with the keyboard shortcuts. Then again there was some information that was much easier to obtain through Cap IQ.
[In addition to using the product myself] I also taught others how to use Capital IQ. It was much easier for them to pick up than Bloomberg. Bloomberg is much more expansive, but also much more difficult for someone new to use. Even the keyboard for Bloomberg is different.
Read Caitlin A. Mabe's full review
Becky Reid profile photo
March 06, 2017

Review: "SNL Financial now S&P Capital IQ is the best service provider I have ever used, better than the Ritz and Tesla."

• Exceptional customer service 24/7! They are always there and always give me exactly what I need usually within an hour or for larger research projects within 8 hours.
  • Extremely well-informed people on every level. They deal with complex and ever changing data with stellar expertise.
  • Always up, always accurate and they pay you if you find an error in their data. I have collected exactly twice in 15 years over thousands of companies and documents. It is a coupe to get a reward from SNL!
  • I have never been disappointed in their breadth or depth of information or their customer service. They are the best vendor I have ever used!
If you are a casual investor and don't need in-depth information, then use any search engine. If you want the full meal deal, they are worth every penny you spend for them.
Read Becky Reid's full review
September 08, 2016

S&P Capital IQ Review: "Capital IQ - Reliable, widely used, and adaptable"

• Data aggregation and charting. We consistently use Capital IQ's data collection abilities for comparing multiple indices and/or individual publicly traded securities.
  • Excel integration. Cap IQ's Excel plug-in is extremely useful for performing valuation analyses, and allows one to easily update key market metrics for ongoing use.
  • Transaction monitoring. Cap IQ maintains a reliable and continuously updated store of M&A transactions that one can reference for the purpose of analyzing deal activity in a particular industry subsector.
  • User Interface. While Cap IQ is generally user friendly, the software can be unwieldy on certain internet browsers, and methods for compiling specific market data can be challenging at times (as it relates to charting).
  • Debt Market Data. Cap IQ's capabilities on reporting bankruptcies and statistics related to bankruptcies could use some refining, particularly for investors who frequently look at distressed debt or special situations investments.
Cap IQ is well suited for analyzing security pricing and valuation, tracking stock performance over time, looking up comparable transactions, and analyzing valuations on an industry basis. The service is also well suited for charting and data analysis purposes.

About S&P Capital IQ

Capital IQ is a market intelligence software solution offered by S&P Global Market Intelligence, which is the result of McGraw Hill Financial's acquisition of SNL Financial. Capital IQ includes data and analytics on global financial markets and the companies and industries that comprise those markets. This intelligence can be used for a variety of purposes, from portfolio analysis to investment strategy, credit analysis, and analysis of regulatory requirements.

S&P Capital IQ Technical Details