Reviews (1-6 of 6)
November 06, 2019
Score 8 out of 10
It is used within the department as a source of company and industry information. We normally use it as a reference in checking out profiles of companies, for financial information research and even company screenings.
Read Ira Mae Ramos's full review
It is best suited for investment decision making because it contains really good information on companies and industries. It can be used as a reliable reference in checking out companies that you are looking forward to investing in.
I used S&P Capital IQ as an employee at Xavier University in the Trading Center in the business building. The Trading Center had 30 or so Bloomberg terminals, and these terminals also had Capital IQ software on them. I used Capital IQ to help in my credit analysis of bonds and equity securities.
- It was very helpful to be able to create your own table based on the information important to you. You could then export this table into an excel document.
- It was very easy to use and had links to a list of competitors and supplier which proved to be beneficial.
- I used Capital IQ mostly to value equity and fixed income securities. Sometimes it was easier to find what I was looking for on Bloomberg with the keyboard shortcuts. Then again there was some information that was much easier to obtain through Cap IQ.
Read Caitlin A. Mabe's full review
[In addition to using the product myself] I also taught others how to use Capital IQ. It was much easier for them to pick up than Bloomberg. Bloomberg is much more expansive, but also much more difficult for someone new to use. Even the keyboard for Bloomberg is different.
March 06, 2017
SNL Financial is one of the best service providers I have ever used. The aggregate data on a complex industry and provide robust and detailed search capabilities, up-to-the-minute news coverage and excellent customer service. If I need a stat on a particular company or and industry trend, they have it. If I can't find the info, they have a friendly person to help me.
- Exceptional customer service 24/7! They are always there and always give me exactly what I need usually within an hour or for larger research projects within 8 hours.
- Extremely well-informed people on every level. They deal with complex and ever changing data with stellar expertise.
- Always up, always accurate and they pay you if you find an error in their data. I have collected exactly twice in 15 years over thousands of companies and documents. It is a coupe to get a reward from SNL!
- I have never been disappointed in their breadth or depth of information or their customer service. They are the best vendor I have ever used!
Read Becky Reid's full review
If you are a casual investor and don't need in-depth information, then use any search engine. If you want the full meal deal, they are worth every penny you spend for them.
February 23, 2018
Score 7 out of 10
The junior staff in the investment bank I used to work for was responsible for creating initial pitch books and presentations on potential clients. S&P Capital IQ was very helpful next to other tools like Bloomberg Terminal to acquire important financial information and quick resumes whenever needed and WHERE EVER needed. With Bloomberg, you have to do this through the terminal, where CapIQ is browser based.
- You can use it on any device, and do not have to go to a terminal and leave your desk.
- Interactive PDF reports can be exported, Bloomberg is not that good at this.
- Balance sheets, Profit & Loss Statements and so on.
- Sources. In Bloomberg, when you click on a figure anywhere it leads you to the source. That is a great feature, as in finance everything has to be backed with the original source.
- Cannot always find the needed information, the menu is too complex.
Read this authenticated review
S&P Capital IQ is very good for office environments, where the employees have to log in from different machines and locations. Everyone gets login information and uses the devices on hand, while if you only have Bloomberg you are bound to a terminal. The information is reliable for initial itching but has to be double checked for anything further of course.
November 29, 2017
I have used Capital IQ to do proper valuations of various companies we were trying to sell in the Healthcare space. This resource allowed me to finish my work more accurately and quickly than I could have done without the tool. It also provided me a lot of help when constructing the buyers list for a sell-side M&A transaction.
- I really enjoy the screening tool and getting a sense of certain types of transactions that have occurred in the market.
- I really like the company descriptions to get a sense of what the company does.
- I found the private equity profiles, their investment criteria, and fund size extremely helpful when creating a buyer's list.
- Sometimes the tool does not bifurcate the data as you need it when running the screening tool. For example, I cannot pull a certain advisor and its physical address. It would allow me to pull all advisor addresses on a deal.
Read this authenticated review
I think Capital IQ is great for financial analysis and determining the valuation of a company. It is also great for learning about a business and determining other comparable companies in the same industry. It can also be a value add to a sales force that is trying to identify certain types of companies they want to target/sell into.
September 08, 2016
Capital IQ is primarily used for valuation purposes, including compiling statistics for comparable companies, whether publicly traded or on a precedent transactions basis. The product is used by the investment team, and helps address questions related to market data, valuation parameters for specific industries, and stock price performance over time.
- Data aggregation and charting. We consistently use Capital IQ's data collection abilities for comparing multiple indices and/or individual publicly traded securities.
- Excel integration. Cap IQ's Excel plug-in is extremely useful for performing valuation analyses, and allows one to easily update key market metrics for ongoing use.
- Transaction monitoring. Cap IQ maintains a reliable and continuously updated store of M&A transactions that one can reference for the purpose of analyzing deal activity in a particular industry subsector.
- User Interface. While Cap IQ is generally user friendly, the software can be unwieldy on certain internet browsers, and methods for compiling specific market data can be challenging at times (as it relates to charting).
- Debt Market Data. Cap IQ's capabilities on reporting bankruptcies and statistics related to bankruptcies could use some refining, particularly for investors who frequently look at distressed debt or special situations investments.
Read this authenticated review
Cap IQ is well suited for analyzing security pricing and valuation, tracking stock performance over time, looking up comparable transactions, and analyzing valuations on an industry basis. The service is also well suited for charting and data analysis purposes.
S&P Capital IQ Scorecard Summary
About S&P Capital IQ
Categories: Corporate Performance Management (CPM), Loan Servicing, Marketing Intelligence, Sales Intelligence, Investor Relations
S&P Capital IQ Technical Details