Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy)

Mozy makes reliable daily backups tough.

Basic

Plus

Prime

per year

What is Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy)?

Carbonite Safe is a personal cloud backup solution offered on pricing tiers to backup a single computer to multiple computers, to an insfrastructure consisting of endpoints and servers. Users of the former Mozy product (an online data backup service which allows users to back up their hard drive and, in the event of a computer catastrophe, perform a full restore of all files) are migrated to Carbonite Safe. Mozy was acquired by Carbonite from Dell in March 2018.

Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy) Competitors

Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy) Technical Details

Alternatives

What is Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy)?

What is Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy)'s best feature?

Reviewers rate Support Rating highest, with a score of 10.

Who uses Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy)?

The most common users of Carbonite Safe (formerly Mozy) are from Small Businesses and the Information Technology & Services industry.

Vivian Vassar | TrustRadius Reviewer
We are using Carbonite Safe to back up files on all of our computers including pictures, videos, and documents. Once we set the system up, it is easy to check on each computer to see what is backed up by looking at the colored dots next to each file. This indicates currently backed up or backing up on the next save.
Derek Schroeder | TrustRadius Reviewer
This is a background application that is in use on one or more servers. It is a cloud backup software where you select a number of folders to automatically backup to the Mozy/Carbonite cloud. It has historically worked by selecting the amount of storage one needs and backup up the needed files. It is in use by an entire organization but it does so behind the scenes. The problem it solves is data integrity, restoration, and retention.
Kurt Ferguson | TrustRadius Reviewer
Mozy Pro was our one and only end-user backup client at my previous employer. It was used across the entire organization, including high-level executives all the way to the C-level. We used IT to backup users' critical files, although we did not use it to perform full backups of machines. It primary was used to backup profile data, such as My Documents, My Pictures, Favorites, Desktop, Downloads, etc. Mozy Pro does an excellent job of this. It is also very easy to administer from the web portal. It makes adding new users, restoring backups or downloading them very easy, for both admins and end-users. We were also very impressed with how easy it was to update policies and push those to users. It worked very well, and we rarely had to engage support for anything.
Ruby Javaid | TrustRadius Reviewer
I use Mozy as a backup service for all my design files on my work computer as well as my personal files on my home computer. The plan I'm on lets me have up to 3 computers connected for backup, so I have my parents' laptop being backed up as well.
Business wise, this tool is invaluable. My computer crashed a few years ago completely. To the point where I had to do a factory reset. If it hadn't been for Mozy, I would have lost everything. Fortunately I had Mozy and lost almost nothing. It's also great for transferring computers. You can do a final backup on the old machine and do a full restore on the new machine and everything will be restored in the same way as it was on the old machine, file folder structures included.
Anthony Shane | TrustRadius Reviewer
I'm currently using Mozy Pro for a few clients of mine to back up data (files, etc.) It addresses the need to have fully automated backups with little to no user intervention.
Mozy is being used throughout several clients at my company and has been extremely reliable. The software is as set and forget as is comes. We have even come to prefer restoring files from the Mozy cloud over our local backups due to its easy to use interface and faster overall restore times. Great product for small businesses that can easily grow along with you.

Our organization utilizes Mozy for cloud backup and DR. Mozy is simple to install, easy to set up, use and administer. Storage volume is managed at the organizational level so individual machines can store as much as they require. Backups can be scheduled to run in the background with various options to determine performance implications.

When dealing with Mozy enterprise there are two perspectives, user and administrator. For the user Mozy presents the user a nice console that allows them to access backup sets (your files grouped together, like music or pictures), file system, backup history (stats on each backup including number of files added to the set), and restore.

From the administration perspective Mozy integrates with AD making user provisioning and management fairly simple (for example with integrated login users do not need separate passwords).

Restoration is very easy for the end user. It can be done based on backup sets (e.g. restore all photos) or file system. Additionally files can be restored from their latest version or an older version.

Mozy is being used to back up our subsidiary's servers. When researching for a cloud hosted backup solution Mozy was able to check off the most on our must have list. Mozy was intended to replace the use of a real enterprise backup solution and be a low cost solution for backing up a few servers. For this requirement, they have done well.